Hey everybody,

It's that time of year again.  No, I don't mean it's time to stuff your face with egg nog and candy canes.  It's time to reflect on the best comics of 2014.  Here's your chance to have your say.  Every member of Captain Comics' Comics Round Table is allowed to nominate up to 2 nominees per category.  You don't have to fill all your nomination slots or nominate someone in every category.  Just do the ones you feel like doing.  And if you're not a member yet and just hanging around?  No problem.  You can become a member and submit nominations, no waiting period necessary.  I'll probably keep the nomination thread open for two weeks which means the ballot threads should start appearing around Jan. 3.  But, you know, if I get bored and the nominations slow up, I could always start a day or two early.  Without further ado, have at it in the following categories.

Best Writer

Best Artist

Most Underrated Writer

Most Underrated Artist

Best Self-Contained Story (Single Issue or One-Shot)

Best Story Arc

Best Limited Series

Best Ongoing Series

Best New Title

Most Underrated Title

Best Original Graphic Novel

Best Web Comic

Best Reprint or Archive

Best Male Character

Best Female Character

Best Villain

Best New Character

Best Supporting Character

Best Team

Biggest Surprise

Best Cover

Best Single Panel or Splash Page

Best Fight Scene

Best Character Recovery

Best Superhero/Comic Book Story in Another Media

Best Comic Book Adaptation

RIP Award (for Fictional Characters)

Views: 716

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If your memory needs a bit of a jump start, here's a link to the Cappies Memory Box

I also noticed that this is our 11th year of Cappies.   We started in 2003 so this is kind of our 10th anniversary celebration (2003-2013). 

Hey Chris, any chance you have links to the previous "Cappies" results or are they lost to the ether?

Sure thing, Border Mutt.  Looks like we have 4 years' worth of results on this site.  Anything before that would have been on the old forum. 

The 2012 Results

The 2011 Results

The 2010 Results

The 2009 Results

I have a word document with all ten years' worth of results if you really want to see it. 

I've got a question about the "Web Comic" category. Does it also include digital-only comics that are created for download, rather than viewing online? A couple of my favorite comics in the past year (The Private Eye and Kinski) were in that category.

I don't know why it wouldn't.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

I've got a question about the "Web Comic" category. Does it also include digital-only comics that are created for download, rather than viewing online? A couple of my favorite comics in the past year (The Private Eye and Kinski) were in that category.

Good question!. I don't read digital comics or web comics except for Private Eye! Issue five just came out but I haven't downloaded it yet.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

Thanks for getting this started, Chris. I'm way, way, way behind I reading. I hope to catch up this week so I can get my ballot in.

Chris Fluit said:

Sure thing, Border Mutt.  Looks like we have 4 years' worth of results on this site.  Anything before that would have been on the old forum. 

Thanks Chris.  I find lists like the Cappies are always a good starting place for quality stuff I might have missed... and delivered just in time for Boxing Week sales. :)

Bump

I'll get this started. I'm not entirely caught up with my reading, yet. I'll nominate the ones I'm sure of and I'll fill in the blanks later.

Best Writer- Mark Waid (Daredevil), Dan Slott (Superior Spider-man)

Best Artist- Greg Cappullo (Batman), Nick Dragotta (East of West)

Most Underrated Writer- Cullen Bunn (Sixth Gun)

Most Underrated Artist- Brian Hurtt (Sixth Gun)

Best Self-Contained Story (Single Issue or One-Shot)

Best Story Arc- Infinity, Zero Year (Batman)

Best Ongoing Series- Superior Spider-man, Daredevil

Best New Title- Velvet, East of West

Best Web Comic- The Private Eye

Best Male Character- Otto Octavius

Best Female Character- Princess Leia (Star Wars), Velvet Templeton (Velvet)

Best Villain- Thanos

Best Supporting Character- Foggy Nelson

Best Character Recovery- Otto Octavius

Best Superhero/Comic Book Story in Another Media- Iron Man 3, The Wolverine

Best Comic Book Adaptation- Star Wars by Brian Wood

That's it for now more to come.

Too often in the past has my second choice nomination (i.e., not the one I voted for myself) won the “Cappy” in its category, so this year (for the most part) I’m going to limit myself to one nomination per category.

BEST WRITER: Matt Fraction

I read quite a few less comics than I did even a few years ago, so it’s surprising that no less than four of those I do read (Fantastic Four, FF, Hawkeye, Satellite Sam) are written by the same guy.

BEST ARTIST: Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead.)

MOST UNDERRATED WRITER: John Byrne

An old favorite of mine whose current work just doesn’t seem to carry the prestige it used to.

MOST UNDERRATED ARTIST: Howard Chaykin

Another old favorite of mine who seems to be undergoing a renaissance with his OGN Century West, as well as Satellite Sam, Buck Rogers and Black Kiss II. (The latter was 2013, wasn’t it? Anyway, the previous three definitely were.)

BEST STORY ARC: FF/Fantastic Four (Original Fantastic Four lost in another dimension, replacement team struggles to fill their shoes.)

Both of these series are wrapping up, but the intertwining story has carried across all of 2013. It was tightly interwoven to begin with, moved apart in the middle, now it’s moving together again for the conclusion.

BEST LIMITED SERIES: Joe Kubert Presents

BEST ONGOING SERIES: .Rachel Rising

BEST NEW TITLE: Velvet

MOST UNDERRATED TITLE: IDW’s “Byrne-verse”

If that’s too broad, please split it up into two nominations: High Ways and Triple Helix.

BEST ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVEL: 7 Against Chaos by Harlan Ellison and Paul Chadwick

BEST TEAM: FF (not the Fantastic Four, but FF by Fraction and Allred)

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Indestructible Hulk #6 (Hulk lifts Thor’s hammer)

BEST CHARACTER RECOVERY: Batman ‘66

What I’d like to do is nominated the entire cast (Batman, Robin, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, Chief O’Hara, Alfred, etc.). If that’s too many, just make the Batman ’66 Batman (or maybe Batman and Robin, the Dynamic Duo).

BEST COMIC BOOK ADAPTATION FROM ANOTHER MEDIUM: Dark Shadows and Batman ‘66

I originally suggested this category to nominate Dark Shadows and Planet of the Apes, but whereas the Dark Shadows comic book has surpassed most of its source material (IMHO), Planet of the Apes has been a bit disappointing. Up until I decided on my nomination for the previous category I was going to nominate Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, the 50th anniversary series.

BEST COMIC BOOK ADAPTED TO ANOTHER MEDIUM: The Walking Dead (TV show)

Which brings us to MY favorite category…

BEST REPRINT OR ARCHIVE: I am going to nominate two in this category. I would be happy if either of them won, and I’m not certain which one I myself am going to vote for yet.

NOMINATION #1: Fantagraphics EC Comics Library

This was my nomination for last year and it won, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t win two years in a row. Last year it won based on only two releases: “Corpse on the Imjin” (Harvey Kurtzman) and “Came the Dawn” (Wally Wood). 2013 saw the release of four new volumes:

“50 Girls 50” – (Al Williamson)
“‘Taint the Meat, it’s the Humanity” – (Jack Davis)
“Fall Guy for Murder” – (Johnny Craig)
“Child of Tomorrow” – (Al Feldstein)

Plus, at under 30 bucks apiece ($28.99 to be exact), these are some of the least expensive volumes of quality archival material available.

NOMINATION #2: IDW’s “Artist’s Edition” Series

As long as the previous nomination set a precedent for nominating a series, this one is no less worthy, albeit on the exact opposite of the “spendy” scale. But I maintain we’re not voting on the affordability of the series (although you’re perfectly welcome to take that into consideration), we’re voting for its quality. This year’s releases included the following…

John Byrne’s Fantastic Four
Best of EC
Best of EC – Jack Davis
Mark Schultz’s Xenozoic Tales
Will Eisner’s The Spirit
Joe Kubert’s Tor
Michael Golden’s G.I. Joe Yearbook (portfolio)

Also, John Romita’s Spider-Man Vol. 2 was solicited for December 18, but unless it ships tomorrow it’s not going to make the 2013 deadline. Still, that a whole lot of amazing material!

Okay, I think that’s all for me this year. I didn’t have a nominee in every category (I never do), but I may squeak one or two more in before the deadline.

HAPPY VOTING!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service