Word is that Mr. Silver age will be hosting a Trivia panel at C2E2 this weekend and because of the movie this summer, some of the questions will feature my favorite Marvel super-hero, Ant-Man. By coincidence, I just finished reading DC's Atom archives. Here are some similar covers featuring the two characters.

Some of these are a stretch, but close enough. And good luck at the trivia panel, Craig!

--your pal, Hoy

Views: 5503

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That new mask of his looks goofier than the old Jack Kirby model.

DC had a story that ended similar to that in one of their 70s mystery titles. A guy that loved to watch ants climb to the top of their hill then destroy the hill gets shrunk to ant size but doesn't realize it. Seeing a hill he climbs to the top only to realize where he is when he sees a giant kid towering over him kicking the hill he's climbing.

I found another one! I don't usually look past the Silver Age for these, but Atom qualifies in this instance.

Hoy

Marvel has been using the Avengers cover as advertisement for an upcoming movie, Civil War, I think. People only familiar with the Ant-Man movie have been complaining that scene isn't possible because he retains his normal weight. Was that established somewhere in the comics, or just the movie? I know Atom could change his weight but I thought Ant-Man weighed almost nothing.

Since Ant-Man frequently rode on ants without crushing them, it's safe to assume that comic book Ant-Man weighs almost nothing, even tho he at least sometimes retains his full-size strength, but not always.  Even in the movie, while we're told that Ant-Man, and everything else shrunk with Pym Particles, retain their original mass and weight, there are any number of scenes in which that can't possibly be true, most noticeably when Hank Pym is carrying a shrunken tank around in his pocket!

In the movie I think the point was made that he could fluctuate his weight independently from his height.

Ah. I was wondering if they'd established it somewhere after I stopped following Avengers in the 90s. Perhaps the movie intended to say he could change his weight, but that part got cut during the editing process by mistake.

Skin-tight costumes go back to the Phantom and Superman. Superman originated the skin-tight costume and cape combo which you'll note Batman shares.

Did Superman or Phantom have their costume first? I know Shuster's first cover didn't give him a costume, he was dressed like a construction worker. There was a later costume, still pre-Action#1, showing him flying, where he had a cape, but I never read when he drew that one.

According to this page Superman had a prototype version of his costume by 1934-35. The Phantom started in 1936 and I don't know how long the strip was in preparation. Action Comics #1, of course, came out in 1938.

No mention they did get a series going at National before they finally sold Superman. Dr. Occult gets forgotten again.

There were a lot of proto-superheroes on radio, in the pulps etc., going back a fair way. I think colourful skin-tight costumes, capes and an emphasis on fisticuffs were what comics added. Last year I made a list of pre-Superman DC 'superheroes' and posted it here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Here's a sort of fairground ride not yet seen this month: the Helter Skelter."
20 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Or "list", as some people say?"
11 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I think three of mine have been reposted thus far this month, and I know I've done it a couple…"
11 hours ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Is Cyber Force a super-hero team?  Should they be on the lit?"
12 hours ago
Tracy of Moon-T replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"621 - The camera crew was off their game. The concrete floor and lighting equipment is clearly…"
12 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Crimson Storm's cover reminds me a bit of New Mutants #1, mainly because Cannonball has a…"
13 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
""What's your take on [Cyberforce], Legionnaires?" This is my take: "I'm…"
13 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"And my apologies to JD DeLuzio - my only excuse is that 11 days is a long time! And the first one…"
13 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
13 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Ultraseven is now published by Marvel, then. I wonder if it is licensed or an in-house IP."
14 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Thank you, sir, I have added both the ASH and the LDH."
15 hours ago
Captain Comics posted discussions
16 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service