Views: 49521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the villainous Black Knight only appeared once duking it out with Giant-Man, in three issues of the Avengers, and once in Iron Man, wherein he fell to his death, appearing again only in the flashback in which his nephew found him after his crash landing and he lived just long enough to spill his secrets (seems he fell from a far enough height that he wouldn't have been in any condition to say any last words to anyone after he hit the ground, but that's typical comics).  And the new Black Knight only made a few sporadic appearances in the Avengers in the Silver and early Bronze Ages.  Of course, when I think of the Black Knight outside of comics, it's the badass from Monty Python and the Holy Grail that comes immediately to mind, ending as a looney quadriplegic threatening to bite or maybe bleed on King Arthur to keep him from passing.

I honestly don't understand how that film or especially that scene is funny. The Monkees did it better with Mike the Princess' magic locket.

I dunno, I first saw the film when I was 13, on the PBS station in San Francisco on the little black & white tv I'd gotten for my birthday in 1975, and I loved it and it remains one of my favorite films.  The Pythons' anarchic, absurdist comedy appealed to me far more than most U.S. comedies.  Of U.S. film comedies, my favorite is Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein.

Have you tried It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World? Or the Marx Brothers?

I recently wrote about Kirby's Easter Island statues stories here. I just came upon another one, "Back from the Dead!" in Tales of Suspense #28. The story was co-cover-featured. In its image the monsters have a resemblance to Thor's Stone Men from Saturn, which makes me wonder if the Thorr story is the reason the Stone Men were the villains in Thor's first tale.

I came upon the story via Tomb of Darkness #16 (1975), where it was again cover-featured. The GCD ascribes the cover to Ron Wilson or Larry Lieber, and Joe Sinnott. Kirby drew the Stone Men of Saturn again on the cover of Thor #255. The covers can be found at the GCD.

I've seen the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup, and enjoyed.  Don't recall ever seeing It's a Mad Mad Mad World. 

Ron M. said:

Have you tried It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World? Or the Marx Brothers?

An old man (played by Jimmy Durante) crashes his car. Witnesses gather around to see if he's okay. Dying, he confesses that many years ago he buried a million dollars of stolen money "under a big W." He then literally kicks the bucket, which bounces loudly across the field. The witnesses then all try to cheat each other to find the Big W first and get the money. Lots of guest stars, including Jerry Lewis, who is just in one scene, for no apparent reason running over somebody's hat with his car then driving away. You may be familiar with the scene (it's been parodied in other shows like the Simpsons) where Phil Silvers asks a Dennis the Menace like kid if the river is shallow enough to drive across. As his car floats down the actually pretty deep river he starts screaming "Hey kid! You told me it was shallow! I'll get you for this!"

Have you seen A Night at the Opera? "You know your friend does better asleep than I do awake." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZvugebaT6Q

Now that Howard the Duck is a PI in his new comic, will we finally get to see a DC/Marvel crossover where he works with Detective Chimp?

Fred W. Hill said:I've seen the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup, and enjoyed.

In the 1970s Knotts Berry Farm filmed a commercial using George Stuart the owner of the Birdcage Theater as George Washington and my father as Abraham Lincoln advertising a special deal to celebrate Presidents' Day. To get as much out of the commercial as they could they dubbed other voices in to make it sound like they were advertising whatever the farm was selling for years afterwards, never asked them to do the dubs, and their real voices were only heard at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ2x6CYpvCg

Groucho: Never mind that. Pick a card.

What do I do with it?

Groucho: Keep it, I've got 51 more.

Seriously, did they make him one because they realized in Original Sin that they didn't have any detectives?

JD DeLuzio said:

Now that Howard the Duck is a PI in his new comic, will we finally get to see a DC/Marvel crossover where he works with Detective Chimp?

Fred W. Hill said:I've seen the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup, and enjoyed.

I remember seeing that commercial. Your dad as Lincoln gripping his hat stuck in my mind.

Ron M. said:

In the 1970s Knotts Berry Farm filmed a commercial using George Stuart the owner of the Birdcage Theater as George Washington and my father as Abraham Lincoln advertising a special deal to celebrate Presidents' Day. To get as much out of the commercial as they could they dubbed other voices in to make it sound like they were advertising whatever the farm was selling for years afterwards, never asked them to do the dubs, and their real voices were only heard at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ2x6CYpvCg

Sadly since they were employees the farm never gave them any residuals for all the countless times they ran that commercial.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service