Views: 44208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A year before the Explosion/Implosion, the Martian Manhunter appeared as the back-up of Adventure Comics #449-451 (F-Ju'77) with his story concluding in World's Finest Comics #245 (Jl'77). Perhaps he was planned to be added to one of the sci-fi books but there wasn't any spot for him as Adam Strange got Green Lantern.

The Explosion issues of Green Lantern had an Alan Scott serial, but the issue before them had a short lead and the first "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" story. According to the GCD the Arkkis Chummuck three-parter in #130-#132 was also "commissioned" in 1978.

I've made a mistake: the GCD tells me a "Ray" instalment was prepared, and included in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade. I neglected to check.

Never understood how the Ray got that berth in Black Lightning of all places. He wasn't the breakout star of Freedom Fighters, not that any of them were. Perhaps because he was the most "super-hero" type of the bunch?

Moot point anyway with only one installment published!

A "Ray" instalment appeared in Black Lightning #11 too, so two instalments were done! I really got that wrong.

I found an image of a subscription ad here from Dynamic Classics #1. It seems to be a pre-Implosion list. Mister Miracle isn't listed, so apparently DC decided to drop it pre-Explosion. I suppose the Joe Staton ad with Barda must stem from an earlier stage.

The surprising item on the subscription list is Strange Adventures, listed as one of the dollar comics. My guess is it would've been a SF anthology. If any stories were done they were probably used, in Time Warp or a horror title.

This post on the first Adventure Comics giant notes the editorial announced an upcoming feature called "The Man Called Neverwhere" by Roger McKenzie and Don Newton that never appeared. See the comments for McKenzie's response to a question about it.

Wikipedia has an article on the DC Implosion here. It says the Martian Manhunter's feature was intended for Aquaman. (To my surprise "Adam Strange" was planned too: it was intended for Star Hunters.)

I think at the start of 1978 four titles started or restarted in the Kahn era had been cancelled: Isis, Teen Titans, Welcome Back, Kotter, and Young Love. Young Love was DC's last romance comic. There was an eight month gap between Young Love #120 and #121. It resumed appearing in Jul. 1976, so it's my guess it was cancelled under Infantino and Kahn had it put back on the schedule, like Warlord.

Kahn's tenure had also seen two one-shots: Super-Heroes Battle Super-Gorillas, and Binky #82. The latter was surely a test to see if Archie-style teen humour was worth getting back into.

19 other titles were cancelled from Jun. 1976 to the end of 1977: Blackhawk, Blitzkrieg, Claw the Unconquered, DC Special, DC Super Stars, Four Star Spectacular, Hercules Unbound, The Joker, Kobra, Metal Men, Plastic Man, Plop, Ragman, Richard Dragon, Kung-Fu Fighter, Starfire, Super DC Giant, Super-Team Family, Tarzan and Tarzan Family.

Does anyone have a favourite Charlton feature? Mine is the David Kaler/Jim Aparo "Nightshade" series that briefly appeared in the back of Captain Atom. The first two instalments gave Nightshade a fantasy backstory and involved a villain who could emerge from mirrors. The third is a straightforward hero-breaks-up-a-robbery tale.

Nightshade hadn't gelled as a character, I think: the two-parter gave her superpowers she didn't normally use. But I like the two-parter for its imaginative content, I like the way Nightshade's relationship with her father was handled, and in my experience Aparo's art elevated whatever Charlton gave him to do.

I've pre-ordered the Nightshade collection from the publisher, Canton Street Press. Her appearances in the Captain Atom stories were collected in DC's Action Heroes Archive but they omitted her solo stories. This collection is supposed to have ALL of her appearances, when it's finally published.

The solo stories add up to 28 pages, I think. There were three in Captain Atom, and (the GCD tells me) a fourth in Charlton Bullseye in the 1980s by Bill Black, and a textless Aparo page of Nightshade fighting the Image in the Charlton inventory fanzine CPL Special Double Issue #9 & 10... Presents The Charlton Portfolio.

"Does anyone have a favourite Charlton feature?"

E-man is certainly way up there.

Of course there were a number of notable series in the 1960s, but an era that gets overlooked is the early/middle 1970s.  Charlton was producing a number of readable adventure oriented comics along with E-Man:  Yang, House of Yang, Phantom, Doomsday +1, Vengence Squad, Emergency, Space: 1999, Six Million Dollar Man, and Bionic Woman.  On a par with some of the stuff Marvel and DC were producing then.

I'm going to see Rifftrax Presents: Space Mutiny tonight. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service