Views: 60523

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An experienced retailer laments the distributor and worsening discounts on DC comics.

Tilting at Windmills #291: I didn’t leave floppies; floppies are le...

So, I was a panellist at Toronto Fan Expo, the third-largest nerd event in North America. I've assembled a video, mostly of cosplayers, and a short blog for the morbidly curious. Nothing like attending Hooters (also for the first time) with a middle-aged guy dressed as Black Canary on a Major League game night. No! The other guy was dressed as Black Canary! He'd promised the staff (he lives downtown and is a regular) that he would show them his costume. But he did buy dinner and drinks in exchange for.... a copy of The Con.

• Philip Portelli said:

Thanks, Commander!

All the best wishes to Mrs. Benson! I know how frustrating it can be!

Just thought you'd like to know, Philip, that the Good Mrs. Benson's Social Security disabiliity was approved!  For a much higher monthly benefit than either of us expected.  (That was the advantage of her solid thirty-five-year work history.)  It was a paperwork nightmare, but at least it got approved on the first look.  I attribute that to the fact that we retained an excellent disability lawyer before we started the process.

For those of you unfamiliar with the process, the federally mandated fee for a disability lawyer is 25% of the backpay to which the petitioner is entitled, up to a cap of $6,000.   (If disability is approved, it is backdated to the month you applied for benefits, with some qualifications.)  That makes many balk at the idea of retaining a disability lawyer, but, trust me, it's money well spent.  The lawyer we retained used to work for the Social Security Administration, and his office flattened all the obstacles in our path.

The simple act of receiving a monthly payment has done wonders for Cheryl's morale.  With all she does to keep the household running like a top, she more than does her share of contributing to our upkeep.  But she just didn't feel like she was until we got notice of her regular payment.

Great to hear!

Commander Benson said:

• Philip Portelli said:

Thanks, Commander!

Just thought you'd like to know, Philip, that the Good Mrs. Benson's Social Security disabiliity was approved!  For a much higher monthly benefit than either of us expected.  (That was the advantage of her solid thirty-five-year work history.)  It was a paperwork nightmare, but at least it got approved on the first look.  I attribute that to the fact that we retained an excellent disability lawyer before we started the process.

The federally mandated fee for a disability lawyer is 25% of the backpay to which the petitioner is entitled (if disability is approved, it is backdated to the month you applied for benefits, with some qualifications), up to a cap of $6,000.  That makes many balk at the idea of retaining a disability lawyer, but, trust me, it's money well spent.  The lawyer we retained used to work for the Social Security Administration, and his office flattened all the obstacles in our path.

The simple act of receiving a monthly payment has done wonders for Cheryl's morale.  With all she does to keep the household running like a top, she more than does her share of contributing to our upkeep.  But she just didn't feel like she was until we got notice of her regular payment.

Good news! I'll pass it along to Tracy. I know she'll be happy for you both as well.

Commander, that IS great news! I just got approved for SS benefits for disability as well, and it's been a blessing. Due to my disability (a left foot whose bones look as if I were playing a game of Jenga... and lost), I'll always be on disability. I hope the GMB is only a temporary recipient - but it's nice to know that she's cleared the hard part and is getting support.

I remain,

Sincerely,

Eric L. Sofer

x<]:o){

The Silver Age Fogey

Commander Benson said:

• Philip Portelli said:

Thanks, Commander!

Baron, Jeff, Eric, we thank you for your good wishes and constant moral support.  This is the kind of thing that only those who are going/have gone through it understand.

The Social Security folks are exacting and demanding in their investigations of disability requests.  I have to say I agree with that.  It's a maximum effort to deny those who are attempting to defraud the system; one certainly cannot fault that.  Unfortunately, the measures to root out the bad impede the efforts of those with legitimate claims.  We were lucky.  We had a healthy income to support us while we waited.  But, I'm well aware that many legitimately applying for disability have little-to-no other moneys; and the time it takes to process an application, even if it is successful on the first look, which is not common, is horrendous.  It's an unavoidable nature of the beast, but I've developed sympathy for those who have to hang on by their fingernails waiting for a decision on their disability.

For that matter, the regular Social Security retirement system is rife with pitfalls and options that require critical decisions.  I waited until I was almost at full retirement age to take mine.  I didn't mind losing a hundred bucks or so a month to take it a little early.  But there was no way I was going to submit for it at age sixty-two and leave 30% of my full due payment on the table.  Others, though, will have different circumstances, in which taking it that early makes more sense.

One factor I believe many overlook is the effect of one's work history on his Social Security payment.  A good many, I think, are under a misconception that a S.S. payment is a set, standard amount.  They don't grasp that what you get out of the system depends on what you've put into it, i.e., how many years you've worked and how much you earned in each of those years.  There are those with sketchy or minimal-income work histories who get a rude shock when they finally put in for S.S. and discover their monthly take-home is a three-digit amount.

For all of us geezers and those preparing for the geezerhood, take a hard look at how the system works.

Oh, and Fogey, unfortunately, Cheryl's disabilities won't be going away soon.  They should last at least long enough for her disability payment to convert to a retirement payment.  But we can handle it.

Again,  we thank you all.

I have been looking for a particular backissue of a particular AHOY! comic. My LCS has all backissues in stock except the one I'm looking for. I found one online, but it's a bit overpriced; I'd prefer a less expensive one if possible. Last week I went to my secondary LCS and today I went to my tertiary one and the owners of both told me the same thing: "I've never heard of Ahoy Comics." WTF?

We went antiquing again yesterday, and I had been planning to get a wall clock for my office, and I found one that syncs itself with the atomic clock in Boulder CO. 

I also ran across the following, which I did not buy.

Print on canvas

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

MethodEng replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"An incredibly well written article at an unbelievably difficult time. Sincere condolences to you…"
50 minutes ago
Fraser Sherman replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
""He also learnt quickly that the rules were, indeed, the rules.  At that, his mother and…"
57 minutes ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
6 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"I'm terribly sorry for your family's loss, Commander. I wish you all the best."
9 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"Over the extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend, the adults (three couples) usually…"
12 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Does anyone have James Bond DVDs or Blu-rays?
"A good James Bond trivia question is "What is the only movie in which James Bond sings"?…"
12 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Words fail me, my friend. Please accept my and Tracy's deepest and most sincere condolences,…"
13 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"@Peter - I have the same problem; 8 covers left and only 4 days to go. So, 2 a day from me till…"
15 hours ago
The Baron replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"My condolences to you and Cheryl, and Rick's other family and friends, sir."
15 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Commander, I have never had a son or an actual brother, but you, your son and all veterans are my…"
16 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I don't think anyone has posted this one. It was my introduction to Strangers in Paradise and…"
17 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service