Views: 58600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They used to call that "the music of the spheres" until it was proved there's no sound out there.

Kylo and Darth. My hat-tip for the link.

There are also gravity waves (as opposed to gravitational waves) and light travels in waves, so there are a number of things he could be surfing!

Luke Blanchard said:

Richard Mantle said:

Was I the only lowbrow viewer who watche dthe many graphics explaining 'Gravitational Waves' - trying desperatly to see the Silver Surfer riding them..?

I really like that as an idea, that's he's actually surfing something.

He could have ridden to Earth on the same cosmic ray storm that gave the FF and the Red Ghost their powers as it bounced around Mars and the asteroid belt.

Dolphin dead after being taken out of the water at a beach in Argentina and paraded around so people could take "selfies" of it instead of helping it back into the water.

"The Enemy of the World", a French SF/super-menace feature of the 1930s.

Watching The Adventures of Superman on ME-TV, the episode where they give this guy plastic surgery and voice lessons to make him look and sound like Superman. I see they're editing the episodes. This one cut out the unintentional funny scene of him struggling to copy the voice chanting over and over "I look like Superman, why don't I sound like Superman?" Last week they cut both this show and Batman from two episodes each to one to make room on the Saturday night schedule for The Incredible Hulk. Watching it for the first time since it originally aired, I noticed the Hulk's growls are obviously Ted Cassidy, not Lou Ferrigno. Cassidy also narrates the intro. I suspect they wanted Cassidy for the part (he looked a lot more like the comics character), but he was in no condition to play it. He died while the show was still running. From what I've read, he had open heart surgery, the operation was a success, but he never came out of the anaesthesia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kz6cxiOUdo

Obviously the poster didn't record this off of ME-TV.

There are photos of Richard Kiel as the Hulk from early in the production of the series.

He also looked more like the character. And the makeup they gave Ferrigno seemed meant to make him look like a completely different monster, not the Hulk. Especially that forehead.

I was just reading the "Frankenstein" instalment from Prize Comics #30. It opens with Dick Briefer saying he hasn't gotten news about what Frankenstein is up to this month. He goes to the Prize offices to talk to his editor, and he suggests Briefer invent a story. Briefer protests he can't do that: "These adventures are actually true! [...] Our readers don't want a fake yarn!" He falls asleep in a chair and has a dream in which a bolt of lightning brings a Frankenstein doll to life, which becomes most of the rest of the story. The people Briefer talks to at the Prize offices seem to be real Prize personnel. 

The tale struck me as the ancestor of yarns where the creators are part of the story like Fantastic Four #10. It particularly reminded me of Fantastic Four #176, which has a scene at the Marvel offices where Stan Lee wants to know why the next issue of Fantastic Four is running late. Roy Thomas and George Perez tell him they don't know what the FF have been up to as the team is missing. Jack Kirby suggests they make something up, and the others react with horror to the idea. I think Thomas was imitating Briefer's tale.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"I've got George Carlin's Class Clown on vinyl. I used to play it incessantly. He actually…"
1 hour ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Yeah, but ... here on Earth-Prime, when they gave us the Smallville TV series, Ma and Pa Kent were…"
1 hour ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion A Capitol Fourth -- Happy Independence Day!
"We ventured out yesterday for this year's rendition of A Capitol Fourth. This was the first…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Thanks for the link! I forgot to mention that #78 was guest-written by Bissette (and…"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis posted a video

Paper Girls - Teaser Trailer | Prime Video

It's the day after Halloween in 1988 when four young friends accidentally stumble into an intense time war and find themselves inexplicably transported to th...
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"A new interview with Stephen Bissette about his career and new work: INTERVIEW: Stephen Bissette…"
2 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Enuf Supes - here's Archie."
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Steve W said: By 1967, DC had reached a continuity crisis. Supes had first hit the newsstands in…"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"Another interesting thing is that the series is a period piece set in the 1970s. In the enormous…"
3 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"By 1967, DC had reached a continuity crisis. Supes had first hit the newsstands in 1938, so when DC…"
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"I was always astonished at how many Golden Age characters had comedy sidekicks foisted off on them,…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"I like that he's "not a bad guy" after almost cutting off a man's arm."
4 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service