Avengers: 1959

Avengers: 1959 is the kind of series I generally actively dislike (an implant which contradicts the very continuity it should enhance), that is, until recently. As time marches inexorably onward, the conceit that the Marvel Universe as we know it (starting with the birth of the Fantastic Four) began “ten years ago” is becoming increasingly untenable. Using 20/20 hindsight, I believe that if Marvel wants to tell stories about characters who do not age, then instead of dragging the start date along with us through the ages, they should just set their stories in a perpetually late ‘60s/early ‘70s universe. Too late for that now, but this series deals with a group (I hesitate to call them “heroes”) who refer to themselves as the Avengers, assembled by an eye patch-wearing Nick Fury in 1959. The group includes Ulysses Bloodstone, Kraven the Hunter, Namora (it will be interesting to see how this series jibes with Agents of Atlas), Sabertooth, Silver Sable and Dominic Fortune. Also featured in the series but not yet part of the team is the Blonde Phantom. It’s a bit risqué, as one might expect from Howard Chaykin. It’s off to a good start, but so far little more has been accomplished than to introduce the characters and establish the premise.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For some reason, Kraven and Sabretooth being involved in a regular "hero" book irks me! And I like the concept even with Chaykin's fetishism. We'll have to see how this series co-exists with their known history but Marvel has many characters who were alive and active during this period so it will be interesting to see who else gets incorporated into this new continuity.
  • I agree, I've come to like these self-contained what-if-ish stories more as the regular continuity makes less sense and has so many branches and looping paths. It's been so long since I bought into a Chaykin book that this seemed to have potential, even if (or maybe especially because) it doesn't affect anything else.

A big backstory and complicated characters can be good in some situations, but by now it's more baggage that either gets in the way or has to be ignored at peril.

I was tempted by Agents of Atlas, but I waited too long to decide and it got away from me. I like Marvel doing this stuff, although I doubt it appeals to too many readers. "1959" is probably not a big sales pitch.

-- MSA

• So… I was in my LCS this afternoon looking for the recent New Avengers #16.1 when I discovered several recent issues of New Avengers, with whole sections by Howard Chaykin, have been building up to the new Avengers: 1959 mini-series. I have less than no interest in the Bendis/Deodato sections, but I had hoped the Chaykin sections might be included in a future Avengers: 1959 collection, but the owener doesn’t think that that will happen because the Chaykin sections are too closely intertwined with the main story to be separated.

Well, poop. :(
  • IMHO, The New Avengers is the best Avengers title right now, not that the others are bad. But somehow this cast is more of a team than than the others. For what it's worth, Jeff, I would recommend those issues for you anyway if you like Avengers 1959.
  • I'll definitely consider it. (My LCS has them all in stock.) More likely, if I enjoy Avengers: 1959 as much as I expect to, I'll tradewait the lead-in stuff. BTW, I did buy #16.1; I'll add some comments to the discussion you started after I've had the chance to read it.
  • Looking forward to it, Jeff!
  • ISSUE #2: I not the kind of person who needs to know everything about a story right up front. Generally I’m content to let the writer unravel the skein at his own pace, but now that I know there’s an earlier origin story I have not read, I find myself missing it. Other than that, I enjoyed the second issue every bit as much as I did the first.

How many (and which) issues of New Avengers would I have to buy in order to get the complete backstory, can anyone tell me?
  • Bought the first issue because of Chaykin's involvement. Not sure about the back story leading to part 1, so reading the mini is like coming into the middle of a movie for me. But if Chaykin delivers as well as he did in the first installment, I'll finish buying/reading this mini.
  • ISSUE #3: As with John Byrne’s Lost Generation, I enjoy seeing the pre-MU depictions of the Marvel Universe. In this issue we get a pre-T’Challa Wkanda, a pre-Doon Latveria and a pre-Dr. Stange Dormammu.
This reply was deleted.