I know I should have noticed this earlier, but I remember seeing ads for Brave and the Bold #36, featuring Adam Strange and Lois Lane, but I haven't actually received that issue. And I can't find anything on Comixology or DC's website about the title. Is it gone?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't think it's been officially canceled, but I'm pretty certain it's on hiatus for a while. I haven't seen #36 yet, either. It's a shame -- I was pretty impressed with JMS's run, for the most part. And it was a great showcase for Jesus Saiz's art!
  • I was, too. I liked that old-fashioned, done-in-one type of tale, and I liked what J. Michael Stracyznski did with the oddball pairings he came up with -- Aquaman and The Demon? Batman and Brother Power the Geek? And, well, Adam Strange and Lois Lane? 

I suppose it fell through the cracks, what with JMS's health issues and then his dropping Superman and Wonder Woman to focus on graphic novels for DC. But I wish another writer was found to carry it on instead of it just disappearing like that.

• Especially since JMS didn't start this version of B&B, it does seem odd that another writer wasn't picked to continue it. It was always late so maybe it just faded away or it was dropped to prevent confusion from Batman:The Brave and the Bold.
  • Diamond's retailer site says, "Cancelled- Will  Resolicit", but don't believe it. Sales on B&B were terrible by the end, and JMS being on it didn't help do much more than slow the bleeding.

If when the title is used again, expect it to be after some more time, and with a new creative team and focus.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

• DC has just restarted the animated series comic as The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

• Or maybe this book was just a steaming pile that didn't deserve to be continued.

For one single example - JMS writing the Flash as a killer in WWII?  COME ON!  What the hell is that about?

And how - HOW - does DC release Brave and the Bold #28 and it's NOT the Justice League?  REALLY???

We all knew Mark Waid wouldn't last on the book, but considering that JMS did a terrible job on it, wasn't it at least worth giving someone a shot on it?  Shucks, put Geoff Johns on it and make it a Flash or GL team-up book!

Bad sales, certainly - but how much other junk is DC (or Marvel) pushing that's got equivalently low sales?

I must be too old... I just don't get it anymore...

ELS

• I didn't read that story at "JMS writing the Flash as a killer in WWII." I read it as the Blackhawks making it clear that they don't fully trust him, that they are soldiers (more particularly, airmen) who couldn't be burdened to babysit someone who couldn't carry his weight, and that they weren't going to babysit someone who would refuse to do so. And, for Barry Allen's part, he concluded that, if he was going to be with soldiers in this man's Army for an unknowable duration, he's going to be a soldier and not a dilletante. Clearly you disagree with that presentation, and that's all well and good.

As for "how - HOW - does DC release Brave and the Bold #28 and it's NOT the Justice League?" the response that immediately comes to mind is "So what?" They've already done Brave and the Bold #28. I stand firmly in the camp that there's been far too much regurgitating of old stories as it is, so it bothers me not one whit DC didn't indulge in the opportunity to do it again.

• ClarkKent_DC said:

I didn't read that story at "JMS writing the Flash as a killer in WWII." I read it as the Blackhawks making it clear that they don't fully trust him, that they are soldiers (more particularly, airmen) who couldn't be burdened to babysit someone who couldn't carry his weight, and that they weren't going to babysit someone who would refuse to do so. And, for Barry Allen's part, he concluded that, if he was going to be with soldiers in this man's Army for an unknowable duration, he's going to be a soldier and not a dilletante. Clearly you disagree with that presentation, and that's all well and good.

As for "how - HOW - does DC release Brave and the Bold #28 and it's NOT the Justice League?" the response that immediately comes to mind is "So what?" They've already done Brave and the Bold #28. I stand firmly in the camp that there's been far too much regurgitating of old stories as it is, so it bothers me not one whit DC didn't indulge in the opportunity to do it again.

CK, you're absolutely right; we read it very differently.  And that's okay, and I don't have the book in front of me; I only read it once.  So all of this is IIRC...

Part of that book - a major part to me - is that it focuses on the Flash not being able to run at super speed because he hurt his leg.  And so he compromises his principles, stays with the Blackhawks, and becomes a soldier - which necessitates becoming a killer in JMS' World War II.

I still personally believe that there is ALWAYS an alternative to killing for super heroes... but in addition to that, we start getting into "What else could Barry do that wouldn't change the past?" and "Why didn't he just contact the JSA anyhow?" and "Why did the Spectre throw a hissy fit when Superman was in the past, but not the Flash?"  But all those lead to continuity in comics, and that way lies madness.

And please note, I didn't ask for a retelling of the JLA's origin in B&B #28 - but it is a seminal book in DC history, and I'm really bugged that nothing was done to even make note of it.  For crying out loud, Barry was traveling through time - we couldn't have seen snippets of his life?  Getting his powers, getting married, seeing Wally get his powers, seeing the origin of the JLA, seeing Iris' "death", and such.

I do not like JMS' work from what I have seen of it, not a bit.  It seems to me that it tries to take one step closer to reality (e.g., Superman walking across America to meet people... because, y'know, being Superman doesn't mean keeping an eye on the planet or being Clark Kent - and please don't bother to correct my perceptions of it, I haven't read it, I'm sure I'm wrong - but that's the impression I got that kept me from buying the book.)  I know a lot of people like his stuff - I'm none of them.  And his Brave and the Bolds gave me no reason to change my mind.  (So why did I buy them?  Because it's Brave and the Bold.  That's enough reason for me... until I was about to drop it because the writing was SO bad.  Lucky for me they canceled it... ???)

ELS

• I sympathize with your position as it is hard to see these iconic figures from our youths portrayed in manners that we can't accept. No one wants a killer Flash or a judge-jury-executioner Green Lantern (I think hope). But remember the Golden Age was far more violent and adversaries usually had shortened lifespans.

Also Barry did the "Not-Kill-Anyone-During-the-War" and got hell for it. Blackhawk is not a murderer but a soldier and a hero. He did what he had to do, what he was forced to do. Barry made a decision to act like a soldier much like when he was sworn in as a police officer. Lethal force is always a possibility. The Flash didn't kill anyone, heck, we don't see Barry kill anyone either. But soldiers are doing their duty and it is a hard one. They are sacrificing their safety, their lives and their piece of mind. How can we expect our heroes to do less?

• I've loved this series, but like Portelli said, why not just continue it with a different writer? I'd think that "wacky pairings" would be any writer's dream!
This reply was deleted.