Replies

• That's kind of funny. The first thing you see when you follow the link is a poster of "DC Women Kicking Ass." :P

• Yeah, that's a fantastic tumblr site I follow...
  • Interesting. But I think you could just as easily title the piece "Western fine art masterpiece swipes in DC Comics." There's been a great deal of Christian imagery historically, which tends to happen when the Church is a major patron. Although I'm sure the artists have been aware of the religious overtones they were invoking.
  • There was a Captain Atom cover where Plastique was cradling Captain Atom, Pieta-style. It's the one that sticks out to me, because it's there I first realized the homage.

Apparently there were two of these: Cap 8  & 44. Neither is featured in this list of Pieta covers,but they're both linked to in the comments. 

• Funnily enough, I only recently commented on this Rom Pieta of Golden's and was actually taken aback by the striking religious imagery of this Swamp Thing/Batman cover.

I hadn't realised before that the first image of Clark Kent in Kingdom Come shows him both carrying the crossbar of a crucifix and acting as a humble carpenter.  Heavy stuff...

• His body's position in that Kingdom Come panel also echoes back to the cover of Superman #1.
  • Really?  He's slouching under the weight in the KC panel, obviously depressed, and rejoicing in his inhuman strength on the cover of AC#1.  Almost dancing!

They are two completely different poses in my view.

He happens to be carrying something in both, but for completely different thematic reasons, and to completely different effect.
    • Superman #1 not Action #1.

Figserello said:

Really?  He's slouching under the weight in the KC panel, obviously depressed, and rejoicing in his inhuman strength on the cover of AC#1.  Almost dancing!

They are two completely different poses in my view.

He happens to be carrying something in both, but for completely different thematic reasons, and to completely different effect.
  • Ah!

That's more like it.  Ross replicates that pose, and draws attention to the fact that the figure on the cover of Superman #1 isn't a million miles from a crucifix image itself.

I love it when comics draw on and converse with the wider, deeper culture like this.

• Plus he has nails in his pocket!

But then Superman, especially in Kingdom Come, must be more Moses than Jesus. That is, a leader more than a teacher. But he too suffers from a lack of faith.

This reply was deleted.