OK, so having read #0, I see several plot threads:

1)Jennifer is in court, defending the Jester.  I wonder what the legal complications would be of a lawyer acting as an amateur law enforcer.

2)Rhodey is keeping the peace in Latveria. I don't know why they don't just hand control of Latveria over to Victor in perpetuity. He always ends up in charge there eventually, anyhow.

3)Later, the President offers Rhodey SecDef, as a stepping stone to the Presidency, since if a super-hero is going to be President someday, he doesn't want it to be Tony.  Surely Stark has so many skeletons in the closet that if he ran for anything, they'd need to summon the Ghost of Ray Harryhausen to animate them when they all came dancing out?

4)At Ohio State University, a girl and a boy who had just worked up the nerve to ask her out are Terrigen-cocooned.  Do they really just let the Terrigen float around, mutating whom it will?  Surely, one of the MU's many science geniuses could knock up a giant fan to blow it away from populated areas?

5)Leonard Samson visits Carol Danvers, to make sure she hasn't gone nuts.  She is concerned about the menace that they will not be able to stop.

6)Maria Hill informs Jennifer that the Jester - who was convicted- has been killed in prison. Jennifer is outraged, but Maria is all like "He would have recidivated anyway, they always do."  Was Maria always an @$$hole, or did she become one at some point?

7)Back at OSU the kids hatch out of their cocoons. (They just leave these cocoons lying around? they don't collect them and take them somewhere, or at least cordon them off?)  The boy looks normal-ish, but the girl looks demonic and flies away, yowling.  There is some kind of an episode - it's unclear what - and the boy (and the reader) is left wondering what the Hell happened.  He is alone in a devastated city - presumably Columbus, since that's where OSU is in the "real" world.

I'll tell you my main concern - years ago, I was just starting to really get into the Avengers book, and the first Civil War came along and blew it all up, souring me on Marvel for years. I sure hope that's not about to happen all over again.

Views: 2711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I trade wait. And wait. And wait. I still haven't bought or read "Avengers: Axis" yet. I'm several events behind!

What's "Avengers: Axis"?

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I bought it the other day, but I haven't read it yet. As soon as I do, I will report back here.

Awesome.

I read it. Thought it was off to a good start. It's definitely the Bendis-verse version of the characters.  I'm glad that Iron Man finally gets to be on the right side of the controversy. Interesting that acting on the knowledge of a future event resulted in the death of War Machine and apparent death of She-Hulk. Looking forward to reading the rest.

And I wouldn't lose any sleep over missing Axis.

One thing I had noticed on-line was people pointing out that a "black legacy character" was killed in the first Civil War (Bill Foster) and now in the second one, as well.

The Baron said:

One thing I had noticed on-line was people pointing out that a "black legacy character" was killed in the first Civil War (Bill Foster) and now in the second one, as well.

That does seem to be a disturbing trend across many forms of entertainment. It's been a common complaint about the Walking Dead TV show as well.

I have to give the TV show a pass on killing black characters, because more times than not the character was white in the comics. They weren't killing black characters, they were just killing the same characters who died in the comics, as the series does -- and some were of color because the TV writers tried to get some black people on the show, however temporary.

The problem, as I see it, is that the comic book had really few black characters initially, even though it was originally set near Atlanta, a majority black city. It probably didn't even occur to Robert Kirkman, a longtime comics fan and Kentucky native, to include very many black people. Old comics didn't have many black people, and rural Kentucky still doesn't. That's not really an excuse, though, for not doing your homework on where you're setting your series.

Anyway, the problem as I see it goes back to the comics, not the TV show.

As to killing off Rhodey, he is essentially a back-up Iron Man. From a story perspective, he was infinitely more killable than an original hero who brought something unique to the table.

Again, that's a problem that goes back farther than Civil War II. When comics began integrating, they often did so by replacing an existing white character with one of color, with the same schtick. When, inevitably, the original hero came back, the replacement became vestigial. That made the black hero redundant, which in itself is a little insulting to many readers.

And it certainly made him killable. (Just like Black Goliath, who had no personality and was using a second-hand super-power.)

I imagine similar thinking was applied in deciding to kill She-Hulk. Her many series had all failed and she had a second-hand super-power. When the original Hulk gets involved (as he inevitably will), she will be redundant. So kill her off.

Although I think she may have been given a reprieve. I've seen her -- or what looks like her -- in some July previews (that have no words).

I'm not at all convinced that She-Hulk is even temporarily dead.

Even if she were dead that's not really serious.  If they had given her a parking ticket or a kidney stone maybe, but I think her and Rodney are basically just like Bill Foster: someone who can generate some tears without actually being anyone important.  It's not like she hasn't been dead before after all, though I think this is Rodney's first death.

The Baron said:

I'm not at all convinced that She-Hulk is even temporarily dead.

Okay, I read it earlier and loved it. Man that art is gorgeous.

I think that this is much more emotionally gripping than the first Civil War. I have made fun of Bendis's cutesy dialog writing before, but that was definitely kept in check here (ehh, for the most part, anyway). I also think Bendis does a much better job than Mark Millar did at setting up a genuine conflict of the conscience here. We've all been in dilemmas like that before, just not on this kind of scale.

It is probably for the best that they created a new character to be at the center of this whole thing so that readers aren't already attached to one side or the other--again, for the most part, anyway.

I am really looking forward to the rest of this!

Glad to hear it, Sensei. I'm trade-waiting, so I have to live vicariously through this thread!

“It's definitely the Bendis-verse version of the characters.”

That’s enough to keep me away right there.

“I'm glad that Iron Man finally gets to be on the right side of the controversy.”

It seemed that way to me, too, when I first read about it, but I read a little more about it over the weekend. If Captain Marvel is advocating punitive action a priori, then yes, that is definitely wrong. But something I read over the weekend suggested to me that her plan was take actions which would prevent the crimes from being committed in the first place. Not “Let’s go back in time and kill Hitler a s baby,” but “Let’s go back in time and tutor Hitler in art school so that he doesn’t drop out.”

I could get behind a plan like that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service