Comics Guide for Dec. 23, 2015

DARK HORSE COMICS

KING CONAN: WOLVES BEYOND THE BORDER #1 (OF 4)

Writer: TIMOTHY TRUMAN

Art/Cover: TOMÁS GIORELLO

Cover: JOSÉ VILLARRUBIA

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

The return of a fan-favorite Conan creative team!

King Conan grows weary of the crown. When an old soldier visits him with talk of a cursed relic and rumors of Pictish tribes preparing a full-scale invasion on Aquilonia’s borders, Conan eagerly embarks on what could be his final adventure! A fan-favorite team expands on Robert E. Howard’s unfinished “Wolves beyond the Border” tale!

A perfect companion piece to King Conan: The Hour of the Dragon!

I can't say I'm crazy about this period of Conan's life -- if I wanted to stare at an old guy who's lost a step, I can look in the mirror. But I do like me some Tim Truman, even if he isn't drawing.

DC COMICS

ABSOLUTE GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW (HC)

Written by DENNIS O’NEIL and ELIOT S. MAGGIN

Art by NEAL ADAMS, DICK GIORDANO and others

Cover by NEAL ADAMS

368 pg, FC, 8.25” x 12.5”, $99.99 US

This stunning Absolute Edition features the classic team-ups in which Green Lantern and Green Arrow confronted menaces including racism, poverty, and drug abuse! Collects stories from GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW #76-87 and 89, plus THE FLASH #217-219 and 226.

I was blown away by this stuff when it first came out. Not only was it comics trying to be grown up, it was DC Comics trying to be grown up!

This was 1972, and I had been reading comics since the early 1960s, and in that time I had a accumulated a strong impression that Marvel was written for older readers. DC, on the other hand, only had Marvel-level comics here and there -- they had a lot of comics clearly written for people younger than the Li'l Capn, who was about 14. So the Adams/O'Neil run on Green Lantern was a revelation.

It hasn't aged well, but it's important for what it was at the time, and for all the doors it kicked open. If you haven't read the Adams/O'Neil Green Lantern -- if that's even possible -- you should.

BATMAN ‘66 MEETS THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. #1

Written by JEFF PARKER

Art by DAVID HAHN

Cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

1:25 Variant cover by JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ

32 pg, FC,  1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T

Two 1960s television icons cross paths for a groovy, globe-spanning adventure in this one-of-a-kind miniseries. The deadly organization known as T.H.R.U.S.H. has a new twist in their plans for world conquest—they’re recruiting some of Gotham City’s most infamous villains! Agents Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin bring this information to the one man who knows everything about these new enemies: Batman. Before you can say “Open channel D,” the Dynamic Duo and the Men from U.N.C.L.E. are jetting off to Europe to thwart the schemes of this deadly criminal cartel.

After the Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover, this looks absolutely tame. Nevertheless, if they can recapture the goofy essence of both shows in one book, it'll be a classic pretty nice.

DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE #2

Written by FRANK MILLER and BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art by ANDY KUBERT and KLAUS JANSON

Minicomic art by TBD

Cover by ANDY KUBERT

1:10 variant cover by KLAUS JANSON

1:25 variant cover by ANDY KUBERT

1:50 variant cover by TBD

1:100 variant cover by FRANK MILLER

1:500 variant cover by JIM LEE

On sale DECEMBER 23

32 pg comic: 6.375” x 10.1875”

16 page minicomic: 5.5” x 8.5”

FC, 2 of 8, $5.99 US • RATED T+

The unexpected finale to the Dark Knight saga continues as Carrie Kelly gets caught…that is, she finds herself…she gets into—well, you’re just going to have to read it yourself.

I'm trade-waiting, but here's a heads up for those who are getting the individual issues of the most hyped comics currently on the stands.

LAST GANG IN TOWN #1

Written by SIMON OLIVER

Art by RUFUS DAYGLO

Cover by ROB DAVIS

32 pg, FC, 1 of 7, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

Forget what you know of England, of the “Land of Hope and Glory.” Instead, try damp and depressing, and embrace this miserable island for what it is. Our story kicks off in 1976: the country coming apart at its flared corduroy seams, a decade after the Great Train Robbery, when British crime has gone decidedly soft in the middle.

Time for a new generation of criminals to rise: a band of snotty-nosed heroes driven by destiny and cheap cider, who will strike fear back into the establishment, put art back into crime and crime back into art, and pull off what will become known as the heist of the century.

This new series from Simon Oliver (FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS) and Rufus Dayglo (Tank Girl), spans three decades, from the punk rock ’70s to the decadent ’80s and beyond, charting the rise, fall and redemption of a group of bandits that changed the face of the criminal underworld and closed the door on a legacy.

The explosion of interesting new titles continues, this one an English crime drama from Vertigo. We are lucky, lucky fans.

IDW PUBLISHING

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN NEWSPAPER STRIPS, VOL. 2: 1979 - 1981

Writer: STAN LEE

Art: JOHN ROMITA AND LARRY LIEBER

Cover: JOHN ROMITA

HC • FC • $49.99 • 320 pages • 11” x 8.5”

The exciting second volume of the wondrous wall-crawler’s long-running newspaper strip by Stan Lee, John Romita, and Larry Lieber, with all Sundays in color and integrated with the dailies—just as they originally appeared in newspapers worldwide. Edited by Bruce Canwell, this book includes more than 700 sequential comics—the complete run from January 1979 through the January 1981!

Heads up, Spidey fans!

STAR WARS ARTIFACT EDITION (HC)

Writer: ROY THOMAS

Art: HOWARD CHAYKIN, CARMINE INFANTINO, TOM PALMER and others

Cover: HOWARD CHAYKIN

HC • BW • $75.00 net discount item • 160 Pages • 12” x 17”

IDW Publishing is pleased to offer under license from our good friends at Marvel Comics the first Star Wars Artifact Edition! Featuring scans of original art mainly from the initial 10 issues of Marvel Comics’ groundbreaking Star Wars comics, as well as from other early issues by Carmine Infantino. As with all Artist’s Edition style books, there will be a wealth of extras, including a superb cover gallery showcasing some of the very earliest examples. With the highly anticipated new film being released in December, the fever-pitch for Star Wars has never been higher!

I remember this book -- it came out from Marvel in the late '70s. It was all right, I guess.

Say, I hear there's some movie out with a similar name. Anyone know if it's related?

THE ROCKETEER AT WAR! #1 (of 4)

Writer: Marc Guggenheim

Art/Cover: DAVE BULLOCK

Subscription Variant: NICK BRADSHAW

FC • 40 pages • $4.99

Europe, 1942--the world is at war! As the Allies battle against the Axis, able bodied men everywhere enlist in the war effort, including Cliff Secord. Secord, also known as The Rocketeer, has been thrust full throttle into the heat of battle, and--with or without his jet pack--he will depend on his wits and daring if he is to survive!

The triumphant return of Dave Stevens’ classic creation, The Rocketeer!

Rocketeer wasn't remotely an original idea, or an original story, or a collection of original characters. What made it special was Dave Stevens, and he isn't coming back. I hate to say it, but all this book does is remind me that Stevens is dead. That's depressing, and I don't want to be depressed. Pass.

IMAGE COMICS

JUPITER’S CIRCLE, VOL. 2 #2 (OF 6)

Story: MARK MILLAR

Art: WILFREDO TORRES

Cover A: BILL SIENKIEWICZ

Cover B: FRANK QUITELY

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

Disillusioned Skyfox tunes out with the Beat Generation, while his former teammates struggle to face social unrest.

A bunch of us on this board, myself included, are reading this book. So here's a Jupiter's Circle heads up!

KAPTARA, VOL. 1: FEAR NOT, TINY ALIEN

Story: CHIP ZDARSKY

Art/Cover: KAGAN McLEOD

128 PAGES / FC / T+ / $9.98

HOLY COW THE CHEAPEST IMAGE TRADE YET AT $9.98! That's "Chip Cheap™"!

Keith Kanga crash lands on KAPTARA, a world filled with danger and weird danger and dangerous weirdos! And if he can't survive, then Earth, the place where YOU live, is doomed! Come check out this sci-fi comedy from CHIP ZDARSKY (Sex Criminals) and KAGAN McLEOD (Infinite Kung-Fu) that everyone is calling "published!"

Collects KAPTARA #1-5.

I don't know anything about this book, but credit for making it the cheapest TPB at Image! (By one cent.) Those marketers sure know how to suck us in!

MARVEL COMICS

DEADPOOL #4

Writer: GERRY DUGGAN

Art: MIKE HAWTHORNE

Cover by TONY MOORE

Secret Comic Variant by SCOTT KOBLISH

32 PGS. / Parental Advisory / $3.99

• MORE DEADPOOL THAN YOU WANTED!

• That’s right—Wade’s called in some help being him.

• And you won’t believe (or recognize?) who he signed up!

• (Unless you are intimately familiar with Marvel Encyclopediae.)

Wait, do they all have power rings? I read a story like that once ...

FUTURE IMPERFECT: WARZONES! (TPB)

Written by PETER DAVID

Penciled by GREG LAND with DANIEL VALADEZ

Cover by GREG LAND

120 PGS / Rated T+ / $17.99

On Battleworld, the dictator of Dystopia has a familiar face! The bearded Maestro rules with a Gamma fist, but there are those who would dethrone him — among them, Ruby Summers, the daughter of Cyclops and Emma Frost! The Thing is on board, too, but is it the ever-lovin’ Ben Grimm under that rocky hide? Layla Miller could probably tell you — after all, she knows stuff. But can the rebels trust her? To take on the most monstrous Hulk of all, they will need powerful aid — but is that truly Odin they have found? And a mission to Norseheim to retrieve the Destroyer will only lead to battle with Ulik and his army of trolls. This is one warzone deserving of the name. Maestro vs. Thing! Maestro vs. Doom! Maestro vs. everybody! Maestro smash! Collecting FUTURE IMPERFECT #1-5 and material from SECRET WARS: BATTLEWORLD #4.

Here's what y'all had to say:

DETECTIVE 445

Issue #2: The second issues of Future Imperfect and Years of Future Past both kept me interested. The art on both books is excellent (IMO) and both Peter David and Marguerite Bennet have done a good job of creating self contained worlds and constructing interesting stories inside them. These books both feel "comfortable" to me which I guess means they are doing a good job of capturing the era that I am most familiar with.

Issue #4: This is might be the prettiest of all the Secret Wars books. I know Greg Land has his detractors but I personally think this book is just solid eye candy.  However, the decompressed nature of Peter David's story is quickly becoming a problem for me.  It's not that the story is bad. The plot is solid and the characterization is good. It's just that David has stretched one or two issues worth of story into four.  He does provide a nice framework for Land to do his thing, and I suspect this will read much better in trade form.

Issue 5 (final): We finally see the Maestro get his long awaited showdown with Doom.  Of course, we are are only about half way through the main series, so you can guess what that means.  I enjoyed this series, but it ends here with more of a whimper than a bang.  I've seen ads for a post-Secret Wars book featuring the Maestro but the ending here doesn't seem to provide much of a lead-in.

MASTER OF KUNG FU: BATTLEWORLD (TPB)

Written by HADEN BLACKMAN & PETER MILLIGAN

Penciled by DALIBOR TALAJIC

Cover by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

112 PGS / Rated T+ / $15.99

Welcome to the mystical land of K’un Lun, where the study of martial arts reigns supreme! But in a world where everyone’s hands are deadly, what becomes of a drunken dropout like Shang-Chi? Emperor Zheng Zu’s word is law in this Battleworld realm, and once the Thirteen Chambers open — it’s time to determine who is the Master of Kung Fu! Shang-Chi, a wanted murderer, has taken a vow of peace and found a new home with the Lower Caste. But to topple the despotic emperor, he must fight once more! Can Shang-Chi elude adversaries like the Laughing Skull long enough to confront his ultimate enemy — the man he once called father?! Plus: a tale from 17th-century Japan featuring a mysterious Ronin, the Incredible Monk! Collecting MASTER OF KUNG FU (2015) #1-4 and 5 RONIN #2.

DETECTIVE 445

Issue #1: "I found it to be a bit dull. This takes place in K'un Lun, which is a realm that includes Shang-Chi, Iron Fist and members of the Morlocks and X-Men. I'm not familiar with recent developments for Iron Fist or Shang-Chi so I don't know where this is being drawn from. It's primarily a martial arts oriented story."

Final issue: "This series was a bit of a rarity in that it had some symmetry to it and came to a pretty satisfying conclusion. Nothing earth-shattering but I would recommend it to fans of old-school martial arts films or the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu magazine from the '70s."

PATSY WALKER, A.K.A. HELLCAT #1

Written by KATE LETH

Art & Cover by BRITTNEY WILLIAMS

Colors by MEGAN WILSON

Variant Covers by SOPHIE CAMPBELL, GEORGE PEREZ And MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Hip-Hop Variant by JAVIER PULIDO

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

PATSY WALKER has managed to escape her past, her enemies and Hell itself (literally), but nothing compares to job hunting in New York City! Between trying to make rent and dodging (literal) bullets, Patsy barely has time to deal with her mother’s exploitative romance comics about her childhood resurfacing, much less how they start to interfere with her work and dating life. As she goes from living a double life to a triple, what the Hell is Patsy Walker supposed to do? Raise your (literal) claws for PATSY WALKER, AKA HELLCAT!

Written by Kate Leth (Adventure Time) and with art by Brittney Williams (Lumberjanes), PATSY WALKER, A.K.A. HELLCAT!  will spotlight this modern-day superhero who refuses to say NO to any adventure even if it does prove to be more than what she can handle.

“I want to continue the thread of her being the kind of girl who calls you up out of the blue and you always say yes, because it's an adventure,” says Leth.  “She's a super hero martial-arts wiz that can sense mystical energy! She learned how to fight on the moon, so you KNOW she's good at what she does and has the history to back it up.”

Beginning her heroic career with the Avengers and then becoming a core member of the Defenders, Hellcat’s new series will be inviting readers into a no-nonsense journey following this kick-ass super hero as she tries to make a name for herself alongside some of the most powerful Marvel heroines around.

“With this series, Kate and Brittney are going to provide a unique spin on the super hero, providing readers with a Patsy Walker who is both supremely relatable and supremely awesome,” says editor Wil Moss. “And look for guest appearances by all of Marvel’s top female heroes, including She-Hulk, Kate Bishop, Captain Marvel and maybe even the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl!”

This December, Patsy Walker plans to claw her way to the top no matter what it takes! Be here for this brand new, action-packed series as this feline femme fatale reestablishes herself among Marvel’s mightiest within in the pages of PATSY WALKER, A.K.A. HELLCAT!

I've always been irritated that Patsy Walker was able to pull on Spandex and instantly become a Captain America-level combat gymnast. But the farther that event fades into the past, and with Secret Wars providing a potential reset, I can now pretend that it's plausible that Patsy is Hellcat, and enjoy her adventures as if she's as legitimate as any other hero.

Also, Marvel has established that the published adventures of Patsy Walker (pre-Hellcat) were written by her mother (sort of like on Jessica Jones), and didn't necessarily happen. So we don't know much about Patsy's real life -- for all we know, she trained as a Navy SEAL before donning the Spandex.

I'm still a bit leery of her days as Mrs. Hellstrom. It felt forced when she fell for Daimon, and out of character when she became suicidally depressed. Also, she had to come back from the dead in that storyline, and the less said of that, the better. I hope they reference that as little as possible.

With all that out of the way, I find I actually enjoy reading about Hellcat. Because, despite the name, she's a pretty happy-go-lucky type, with amusing reactions to just about everything and a charm the gritted-teeth characters don't have. She's a breath of fresh air in the angst-ridden world of Spandex, so I'm hoping she'll find an audience with this title.

STAR-LORD #2

Writer: SAM HUMPHRIES

Art: JAVIER GARRON

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

VARIANT COVER BY Jake Wyatt

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

• After just a little bit of grand theft extraterrestrial vessel, young Peter Quill finally made it to space!

• Then he got stuck there.

• Another ship is approaching: is their intention space roadside assistance, or space highway robbery? Peter’s got to be ready for anything!

It's no surprise that the comics will pull the individual members of the Guardians -- most of whom have sketchy backstories anyway -- more closely in line with their movie counterparts. But if we're going to have a Yondu in the present (instead of the far future of the original Guardians), then he's, what, the original Yondu's great-great-great grandfather? Or maybe Yondu is a common name on Alpha Centauri.

WHERE MONSTERS DWELL: THE PHANTOM EAGLE FLIES THE SAVAGE SKIES (TPB)

Written by GARTH ENNIS

Penciled by RUSSELL BRAUN

Cover by FRANK CHO

112 PGS. / Parental Advisory / $16.99

Garth Ennis returns to Marvel! Fighter planes and dinosaurs collide in this raucous tale featuring the classic Marvel character Phantom Eagle! Ace pilot Karl Kauffman investigates the Valley of Flames, but soon finds himself in way over his head. This terrifying Battleworld domain is full of surprises, and Karl is only just scratching the surface. Between hungry dinosaurs, angry Amazonians and even crazier problems, Karl has never been in a tighter spot. The beautiful tribe of warriors who have taken him prisoner aren’t very friendly at all, and these dinosaurs don’t look domesticated. Karl aims to take to the skies once again, but can he beat the odds — and all the new enemies he’s managed to make? Collecting WHERE MONSTERS DWELL (2015) #1-5.

RON M.

Issue #4: This is about the very worst comic book I've ever seen. Phantom Eagle is now a raving psychopath, and the only other character that talks is just as unlikable. They're quite welcome to kill each other in the last issue. I seriously hope Marvel has the sense not to continue this stinker into their All New universe.

JEFF OF EARTH-J

Issue #1: Haven’t read the second issue yet, but the first was entertaining. (Doesn’t bear much resemblance to the Phantom Eagle I know, however.)

OTHER PUBLISHERS

BLOODSHOT REBORN #9

Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art by BUTCH GUICE

Cover A by MICO SUAYAN

Cover B by DAVE JOHNSON

Cover C by GLENN FABRY

Variant Cover by ROBERT GILL

Variant Cover by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

BLOODSHOT VERSUS BLOODSHOT!

The epic finale to “THE HUNT” brings Ray Garrison face-to-face with the nanite-infected mass murderer that has wreaked havoc across Colorado. But will Ray be able to pull the trigger when he discovers the identity of his adversary? Or will he succumb to the dark whispers of the nanites that threaten to destroy his humanity once-and-for-all? New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire and comics legend Butch Guice bring you the unforgettable final chapter of the story that will change Bloodshot forever!

Still one of Valiant's best books.

CHEECH WIZARDS BOOK OF ME (HC)

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: VAUGHN BODE

Mature/$29.99

Vaughn Bodé created Cheech in 1956 and remained a constant companion for the rest of Bodé's life, surfacing in underground comix, the National Lampoon, and into the world of graffii and Hip Hop. Cheech Wizard is a lascivious conman who nevertheless possesses some degree of cosmic insight. But just who is Cheech Wizard? Cheech Wizard's Big Book of Me brings Bodé's essential transcendent art to the masses collecting all of the Cheech Wizard comics in a single volume.

I was never really much of a Cheech Wizard fan, but he briefly flirted with Mr. Natural in popularity in the underground comix daze days. So here he is.

CITRUS VOL 4 (GN)

Publisher: SEVEN SEAS ENTERTAINMENT LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: SABUROUTA

Mature/$13.99

Yuzuko Aihara, a high school girl whose main interests are fashion, friends, and having fun, is about to get a reality check. Due to her mom's remarriage, Yuzu has transfered to a new, all-girls school that is extemely strict. Her real education is about to begin. From Day One, happy-go-lucky Yuzu makes enemies, namely the beautiful yet stern Student Council President Mei. So what happens when a dejected Yuzu returns home and discovers the shock of her life: that Mei is actually her new step-sister who has come to live with her? Even more surprising, when Mei catches Yuzu offguard and kisses her out of the blue, what does it all mean?

Wait ... lesbian incest? Or step-incest, I guess. *shakes head*

CODE MONKEY SAVE WORLD (GN)

Publisher: PAK MAN PRODUCTIONS

Writer: GREG PAK

Art/Cover: TAKESHI MIYAZAWA

$14.99

A put-upon coding monkey teams up with a seething, lovelorn super-villain to fight robots, office worker zombies, and maybe even each other as they struggle to impress the amazing women for whom they fruitlessly long. Based on the songs of internet superstar musician Jonathan Coulton.

A comic book based on songs from an "Internet superstar musician"? That doesn't make any sense unless it's got a lovelorn hacker monkey! Wait, it has a lovelorn hacker monkey? All right, then, carry on.

THE DEATH-DEFYING DR. MIRAGE: SECOND LIVES #1 (of 4)

Written by JEN VAN METER

Art by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE

Cover A by JELENA KEVIC-DJURDJEVIC;

Cover B by KEVIN WADA

Cover C by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE

Variant Cover by KHARI EVANS

Variant Cover by KATIE SKELLY

Valiant Linewide Variant by COLLEEN COOVER

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

In time, even the dead may die …

Valiant is proud to unveil complete details for THE DEATH-DEFYING DR.MIRAGE: SECOND LIVES #1 (of 4) – the FIRST ISSUE of the astonishing new adventure from Eisner Award-nominated writer Jen Van Meter (Hopeless Savages) and acclaimed artist Roberto de la Torre (Daredevil)!

After garnering a bevy of nominations at 2015 Harvey Awards – including "Best Writer", "Best Artist", and "Most Promising New Talent" – the creators behind one of 2014's most acclaimed new series debuts is back to give Valiant's husband-and-wife paranormal investigation unit their most dangerous assignment yet: to protect our world from an unrelenting force hellbent on the annihilation of all souls … living and dead alike!

Occult investigators Shan and Hwen Mirage lived their lives in the thrall of an epic love that few will ever have … until Hwen died tragically before his time. Now, after a perilous trip through the underworld, Shan and Hwen have been reunited … but Hwen is still an intangible spirit of the dead – incapable of opening a spell-book or even touching his wife.

Their options exhausted, the death-defying Doctors Mirage are about to enact a dangerous spell to restore Hwen’s solid form … and grant his ghost a second life. But, in the wrong hands, their ancient rite will become a tool of terror – and unleash a force of pure, homicidal evil that lusts for the murder of the living and the dead alike … a torturous death that obliterates not just everything a person ever had in this world, but everything their ghost will be in the next!

Featuring covers from a world-class cast of leading talents – including Jelena Kevic-Djurdjevic (Thor), Kevin Wada (She-Hulk), Roberto de la Torre (Age of Apocalypse), Khari Evans (HARBINGER), and Katie Skelly (Nurse Nurse) – THE DEATH-DEFYING DR. MIRAGE: SECOND LIVES  #1 (of 4) will also debut with an exclusive Valiant Linewide Variant by Eisner Award-winning artist Colleen Coover (Bandette)!

The first in a new series of variant covers for high-profile new releases, retailers can qualify for the initial Valiant Linewide Variant offering based on their aggregate orders of Valiant titles shipping for December 2015 – a month that will include prominent issues including the first chapter of "OPERATION: DEADSIDE" in NINJAK #10, WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #2, UNITY #25 and much more. For every 100 copies of Valiant titles placed during the Initial Order period, retailers may then order one THE DEATH-DEFYING DR. MIRAGE: SECOND LIVES  #1 (of 4) Valiant Linewide Variant by artist Colleen Coover.

A great concept that I'm glad to see is getting another chance.

MOON GIRL #1

Publisher: CANTON STREET PRESS

Writer: WILLIAM WOOLFOLK

Art: SHELDON MOLDOFF, JOHNNY CRAIG

Cover: SHELDON MOLDOFF

$14.99

Moon Girl #1 is an exact replica of the 1947 comic including ads and editorial content. This key issue introduces Moon Girl, who went on to star in eight issues. Fully restored.

Some of you probably know this title's weird history. For those who don't:

The proper title of this book is actually Moon Girl and the Prince. For issues #2-6 it was Moon Girl proper, then for the next two issues Moon Girl Fights Crime. When all that failed, EC changed the format and genre as well as the title to A Moon, a Girl ... Romance for issues #9-12.

No, I am not making this up.

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: WITCHCRAFT SLIPCASE ED VOL 1

Writers/Art: JOE KUBERT & Various

SLIPCASE EDITION: 300 copies in full colour slipcase, £44.99/$69.99

BOOKSHOP EDITION: 1700 bookshop copies available. Unsigned Book only. 288 Pages, £36.99/$49.99

Collected together for the very first time, these classic anthologies will thrill you today as much as when they were first published.

Take a look at these covers and see what it was like back in the fabulous far out’n’freaky, fun’n’funky fifties as regards four-color comicbooks. For just one thin dime, you’d get, f’rinstance, number 4  featuring Death boiling a glamorous raven-haired vixen while inside this crazy volume you’ve got words, inks and pencils from the likes of Mort Meskin, Joe Kubert, Everett Kinstler, Sid Check, Ed Goldfarb and Kelly Freas. You know, makes you feel just like a kid again but I haven’t quite finished the other one yet! Soon...

This single volume features issues 1-6 from March 1952 to March 1953. It also features bonus issue “The Dead Who Walk” from 1952.

I expect most of this to be crap, but often these off-brand titles have crap that's so over the top that I find it vastly entertaining. And then there's the occasional story by the likes of Joe Kubert and Mort Meskin, which is pretty cool.

PRINCELESS MAKE YOURSELF #0

Writer: JEREMY WHITLEY

Art/Cover: ALEX SMITH

32 pgs / Teen / FC / $3.99  (reg.)

The beginning of a new chapter for Princeless!  Adrienne and Bedelia have checked two of Adrienne’s sisters off of their list and they have three more rescues left to make.

But sometimes the hardest fights aren’t with any monsters, but with yourself.

Adrienne finally has to face an issue that she’s been struggling with for a long time.

I would expect that the Princless clutch of books would be pretty appealing to tweenage girls, but I have no idea if that is true. My contact with tweenage girls is pretty non-existent. 

RAI #12

Written by MATT KINDT

Art by CLAYTON CRAIN

Interlocking Cover A by CLAYTON CRAIN

Interlocking Cover B by CLAYTON CRAIN

Cover C by RYAN SOOK

Variant Cover by RYAN LEE

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

“THE ORPHAN” ends here with an explosive finale…and a shocking new direction for New Japan ’ s fallen guardian!

After being exiled to Earth by Father, Rai has survived on his own, finding new friends and discovering some familiar faces. Now, fully restored and ready for battle, Rai is ready to return to New Japan and rescue the allies he left behind!

The next chapter for the future of the Valiant Universe starts here as acclaimed creators Matt Kindt and Clayton Crain present the can’t-miss finale of RAI’s latest volume!

Rai was my least-favorite Valiant concept in its original run, so I haven't tried this title yet. Any recommendations, Legionnaires?

THE CHAIR SPECIAL ED (GN)

Publisher: ALTERNA COMICS

Writer: PETER SIMETI

Art: KEVIN CHRISTENSEN, PETER SIMETI

Cover: PETER SIMETI, KEVIN CHRISTENSEN

Mature/$17.99

Coming soon as a motion picture in 2016! Richard Sullivan is an innocent man on death row.  Witnessing savage killings at the hands of the prison's sadistic Warden, Sullivan realizes that he must fight to survive. But with the violence and carnage mounting, Sullivan begins to lose his grip on reality. There are no zombies or vampires here; on death row, the only monster is man.

Since this is "coming soon as a motion picture in 2016," I assume we have to read this to field the inevitable questions from our non-comics-reading friends. Assuming we have any.

VENUS #1

Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: RICK LOVERD

Art: HUANG DANLAN

Cover: W. SCOTT FORBES

32 pgs / FC / $3.99

What's to Love: Surviving against all odds. Adventures on the frontier. Lying on the cusp of discovering something new. Rick Loverd (Berserker) and artist Huang Danlan brought us a story that evokes the history of great adventurers from the pilgrims to the Western pioneers, from deep-sea explorers to polar trailblazers, all of whom searched for a new beginning. 

What It Is: In 2150, Earth's resources are depleted, and countries race to outer space to mine what they need from other planets. China has laid claim to Mars, so the U.S. and its allies have to make do with getting what it needs from the inhospitable world of Venus. But for a group of Americans making its way there, survival has become all too real. After their ship crash-lands on the planet, the scrappy crew is forced to do whatever it takes to navigate the harsh landscape in their journey to find the science base they were flying toward. In the vein of great adventure survival stories like Lost and The Martian, there's only one reality on Venus -- adapt or die.

Is BOOM entering the new-series sweepstakes with Image and Vertigo? If so, this looks like a strong entry.

WITCHFINDER GENERAL #1

Publisher: DEVILS DUE /1FIRST COMICS, LLC

Writers: CHRIS GRINE, CHRIS "DOC" WYATT

Art/Cover: CHRIS GRINE

$3.99

Recent graduate Drew Jackson's dream internship at the Pentagon turns bizarre when he's assigned to "The United States Department of the Witchfinder General."  Drew is soon swept into a world of haunted Amish farm houses, British Revolutionary War vampires, and the pissed off ghost of Benjamin Franklin!

Here's another first issue, complete with preview. Sounds interesting, although I'm not a big fan of cartoony art. Still, it seems to match the tone of the story, so it's probably a net plus.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A comic book based on songs from an "Internet superstar musician"? That doesn't make any sense unless it's got a lovelorn hacker monkey! Wait, it has a lovelorn hacker monkey? All right, then, carry on.

There was an exchange about Jonathan Coulton's songs back on the old board. He sells his songs online and you can sample them for free. The songs are comic. "Re: Your Brains" is a zombie one. The title character of "Code Monkey" is a computer programmer.

• That is a monkey on the cover, or else a short guy with a terrible skin condition.

• I'm about half way through Rai. So far I'm enjoying it. The art is just incredible. The story feels familiar but the writing is solid. Kind of a sci-fi noir vibe similar to Blade Runner. I would recommend it if you like that sort of thing.

• Sold!

• Canton Press recently released a replica edition of Moon Girl #5.Why did they start with #5 instead of #1? Because #5 featured EC's very first story in the horror genre, a zombie tale illustrated by Johnny Craig.(There's a good trivia question.) It was everything it purported to be, but... 15 bucks? That's a bit steep for what it is.

• I'll wait for the collected edition. A hardback with the whole series should cost about $15. Of course, there might never be a collected edition, but I live in hope.

• Looking through the latest Previews, I see Canton Press has solicited...

Moon Girl #2 - $18

Eerie Comics #1 - $18

Pictorial Confessions #1 - $15

(Original) Ghost Rider Portfolio - $15

The portfolio is five card stock covers, #1 by Dick Ayers, #2-5 by Frank Frazetta in a printed envelope. I could go three bucks a piece for those, but with the vast variety of reprints available these days, I just don't see a $15-18 price point for the replica editions.

• You don't see me running out and buying them.

Not that you can see me do anything, but even if you could you wouldn't.

• That's a really weird publishing scheme. I wonder it the thinking behind it is the $1,000 glass of lemonade ("sure, most people won't buy it, but all I need is one customer and JACKPOT!") or if there's some other engine driving those price points. Do they have a market in some other venue -- libraries, discount bookstores, etc? They can't be shooting for the traditional comics market, can they?

• Looking at their website -- http://www.cantonstreetpress.com/ -- they say they specialize in restoring historical books. Can't have been around long, because they've only got four military books, four comic replicas and four comic book collections. They also sell prints, and have five listed, four of which are from old comics.

But despite the bulk of their material being comics-related, they still put direct market in quotes, like it's some weird reference they don't expect anybody to understand.

This reply was deleted.