Comics Guide for Dec. 7, 2016

ARCHIE VOL 2 (TPB)

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: MARK WAID

Art: VERONICA FISH, THOMAS PITILLI, RYAN JAMPOLE, JACK MORELLI, ANDRE SZYMANOWICZ, JEN VAUGHN

Cover: VERONICA FISH

$19.99 • $21.99 CAN • 6 5/8 x 10 3/16” • 176 pp • Full Color

The all-new ARCHIE adventure continues! Superstar writer Mark Waid teams up with rising star artist Veronica Fish to bring a modern take to the legendary Riverdale cast of characters. The elusive, rich Veronica Lodge has taken Riverdale by storm—and it’s caused everyone to take sides, with Archie Andrews stuck in the middle of it all. Relive all the drama, all the romance and all the beautiful art and storytelling once more in this graphic novel that collects ARCHIE #s 7-12. Welcome to the New Riverdale.

Recommended. What can I say? I love Mark Waid's Archie.

ATOLL #1

Publisher: CREATIVE MIND ENERGY

Writer: TIM DANIEL

Cover: JOANA LAFUENTE

Art/Cover: RICARDO DRUMOND

Mature • $3.99

When the burlap sack is ripped from her head, decorated Olympic athlete Story Helms finds herself seated on a steel platform overlooking an arena somewhere far off the northwestern coast of Australia. Welcome to The Atoll, where abductees are pitted in combat against the world's deadliest apex predator, Majesty, a twenty-one foot Great White shark. Story is next in the ring; how long will she last? Place your bets!

For the second week in a row, a new title with a Great White as the bad guy, encouraging us to think of them as something that needs to be killed on sight. Which we largely do. It's a good thing that there's an unlimited supply, and they're not important to the food chain or anything.

We villainize spiders, snakes and bats, too, all of which are extremely helpful to man. When are we going to start attacking roaches in pop culture? They're what needs killing!

BARBARELLA (HC)

Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writers: JEAN-CLAUDE FOREST, KELLY SUE DECONNICK

Art/Cover: JEAN-CLAUDE FOREST

Mature • $24.95

The first two volumes of this classic erotic Sci-Fi series with an English adaptation by Kelly Sue DeConnick (Marvel's Captain Marvel, Avengers Assemble, Image's Pretty Deadly, Bitch Planet). In "Barbarella," trapped on the planet Lythion, Barbarella finds herself in a series of bawdy adventures with a variety of strange beings. In "The Wrath of the Minute-Eater," Barbarella's traveling Circus Delirium enters another dimension, led by a mysterious and alluring aquaman.

I read some of this in the 1960s and wasn't very impressed. The art, as you can see from the cover, was pretty typical of English comics (and third-tier American comics) of the mid-'60s -- mediocre. The sci-fi was stolen entirely from "Flash Gordon" -- call it parody if you like, but the upshot is that there wasn't anything original or exciting. And the naughtiness was adolescent double entendres with the occasional flash of nipple. IOW, the Barbarella movie (with Jane Fonda) was right in line with the sensibilities of the comic book -- and the movie was terrible. There's a possibility that I was reading a cleaned-up version for the U.S. market, but just the same I think I'll wait for the original GN Dynamite will publish in 2017.

THE CLONE CONSPIRACY #3 (of 5)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: DAN SLOTT

Art: JIM CHEUNG

Cover by GABRIELE DELL’OTTO

VARIANT COVER BY MARK BAGLEY

TEASER VARIANT COVER BY ALEXANDER LOZANO

XCI Variant Cover by TBA

32 PGS. • Rated T+ • $3.99

THE CLONE CONSPIRACY CONTINUES!

• SPIDER-MAN is on the run from his resurrected rogues!

• The Jackal’s master plan is further revealed. Just how deep does it run?

• And why is Doctor Octopus playing second fiddle to the Jackal?

For decades my chief complaint about Spider-Man was that writers kept killing off the best supporting cast in comics for shock effect and/or simply because they didn't know what to do with the characters. So I can hardly complain when so many are coming back!

DITKO UNLEASHED (HC)  

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

HC • PC • 368 pages • 9.6″ x 12.7″ • $59.99

Steve Ditko’s astounding career is presented here from the early 1950s to the present. Examples of his work for Charlton, Warren, Marvel and DC are shown, both as printed pages and scans from Ditko’s beautiful original art!

This is a Museum catalogue that will accompany a massive exhibition of this hugely influential artists work (Ditko co-created Spider-Man and Dr. Strange) in Palma de Mallorca Spain in the Fall of 2016. By the same Eisner Award-nominated team who have created the gold-standard for museum catalogues and exhibits of classic comic artists, previous books in the series include: Woodwork: Wallace Wood 1927-1981, Flesh & Steel: The Art of Russ Heath and Big John Buscema: Comics & Drawings.

This is superfluous for me, because I have as much Ditko as I can possibly want. I have all of his Marvel, DC and Charlton superhero work in DC Archives and Marvel Masterworks (as well as most of the original comics), and I have the bulk of his pre-Spider-Man work in the six-volume Ditko Archives by Fantagraphics. But if I didn't have all that, and just wanted some representative Ditko work in my library, this would be a good pick.

THE FLINTSTONES #6

Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by MARK RUSSELL

Art by STEVE PUGH

Cover by CARLOS D’ANDA

Variant cover by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

32 pg • FC • $3.99 U.S. • RATED T

The Great Gazoo is working on his report card for the human race, and so far humanity has earned a big fat “F.” When the Church of Gerard starts selling Indulgences, Bedrock descends into violence and debauchery. Meanwhile, a miner gets trapped at Slate’s Quarry. Might there be an honest citizen in this burgeoning civilization willing to come to his rescue?

I agree with both the praise and pans about this title. It's a terrific Swiftian satire, but it's also unrecognizable to fans of the cartoon. If the former can outweigh the latter for you, then it's recommended.

JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS #3

Script: MARGUERITE BENNETT, CAMERON DEORDIO

Art: AUDREY MOK, KELLY FITZPATRICK, JACK MORELLI

Cover: AUDREY MOK

Variant Covers: WILFREDO TORRES, DEAN TRIPPE

32-page • full color comic • $3.99 U.S.

The next installment’s got it all! Alexandra is BACK to wreak havoc on the Pussycats’ beach party as Josie’s romance with Alan M heats up! We’ve got lions, tigers, and jet skis (oh my!) as the Pussycats fight—for the right—to party!

The Archie comic that dares to be occasionally naughty! At least verbally! (Plus it's good.)

PUPPET MASTER #19

Publisher: ACTION LAB

Writer:  SHAWN GABBORIN

Art: MARCO CARRILLO (pencils/inks), DAN OLVERA (colors)

Cover A: Standard Cover A: Marco Carrillo (pencils/inks), Dan Olvera (colors)

Variant B: Crafter Cover: KELLY WILLIAMS (pencils/inks/colors)

Variant C: GLENN LUMSDEN (pencils/inks/colors)

Variant D: Kill Cover: ANDREW MANGUM (pencils/inks), GENE JIMENEZ (colors)

Variant E: Kill Cover Sketch: ANDREW MANGUM (pencils/inks)

32 pgs. • T+ • FC • $3.99 (reg.), $4.99 (var.)

Armed with the Retro Puppets, Andre Toulon makes his way across the country to the rolling hills of West Virginia in search of a particular puppet that was stolen from him decades ago: Mephisto. What secrets do the residents of the reclusive commune of Peterstown hold? The truth comes out in Retro Now!

Variant and variant sketch covers limited to 1,500 copies each.

Oh no! The Red Skull if working for Action Lab now! Who's Captain America going to fight every issue now? Batroc? (Actually, that might be fun.)

PROVIDENCE #11 (OF 12)

Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

writer: ALAN MOORE

Art/Covers: JACEN BURROWS

Mature • $4.99

For Black is his name and Black is his destiny.  Everything has changed for Robert Black and perhaps for all of us.  This is Providence ...  or is this Yuggoth?  Alan Moore's masterpiece reaches its denouement and nothing will be the same.   Available with Regular, Pantheon, Portrait, Dreamscape Wraparound, Women of HPL, the painted Weird Pulp and a special Ancient Tome Incentive cover, all by collaborator Jacen Burrows.

Alan Moore alert!

REGGIE AND ME #1

Script: TOM DEFALCO

Art: SANDY JARRELL, KELLY FITZPATRICK, JACK MORELLI

Cover: SANDY JARRELL, KELLY FITZPATRICK

Variant Covers: BEN CALDWELL, DEREK CHARM, RON FRENZ WITH ELAINA UNGER, ROBERT HACK WITH STEVE DOWNER, RYAN JAMPOLE, THOMAS PITILLI, WILFREDO TORRES WITH ELAINA UNGER, MICHAEL WALSH

Blank Sketch Cover Also Available

32-page • full color comic • $3.99 U.S.

There is no one more loved, revered, admired and adored in Riverdale than…  Reggie Mantle? Well, at least Reggie doesn’t think there’s anyone as loved and admired as himself. And his best friend can back that idea up—his best friend, of course, being his dog, Vader. The unstoppable duo is known around town for pulling the funniest pranks, getting the hottest dates and throwing the best parties. And if anyone even dares to compete with them, there is going to be hell to pay. Come take a look at the life of your hero, the handsome, hilarious Reggie Mantle.

We've been trying to warn you about Reggie Mantle for the last seven months on our Twitter account but it wasn't enough.

Now you'll all see exactly the type of person we've been dealing with when REGGIE AND ME #1 launches on December 7th!

The next hit New Riverdale series, REGGIE AND ME, arrives this Winter from the side-splitting creative team of Tom DeFalco, Sandy Jarrell, Kelly Fitzpatrick, and Jack Morelli.

"It’s a great honor to be paired with a dynamic and fun artist like Sandy on one of my favorite characters," says series writer Tom DeFalco.

"Reggie Mantle has been called a self-aggrandizing egotist, a sinister supe-villain, a merciless monster and worse, but his dog loves him. Sandy and I intend to show all the doubters and haters exactly why Reggie should be named the true master of this universe … or else!"

"The town of Riverdale has been part of my life as long as I can remember, and there couldn't be a more exciting time to visit," says series artist Sandy Jarrell. "Reg is more than a little salty he had to wait this long for his solo relaunch, so we've to make this count. I, for one, have no intention of getting on Mantle's list."

Following hot on the heels of the blockbuster ‘New Riverdale’ re-launches ARCHIE, JUGHEAD, BETTY & VERONICA, and September's new JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS series, REGGIE AND ME takes a look at the life of everyone's (okay, not exactly everyone's) hero, the handsome and hilarious Reggie Mantle.

Reggie and Me #1 features an assortment of variant covers from fan favorite artists including Derek Charm, Robert Hack, Ryan Jampole, and more.

You're welcome, universe.

In the old Archie universe, Reggie was snarky, but not an outright villain, and part of the gang -- sort of like a milder version of Cartman on South Park. But now he's a pretty awful guy and NOT part of the gang, which is more plausible. I knew guys like that in high school, and they have stories, too.

SLAPSTICK #1

Written by FRED VAN LENTE & REILLY BROWN

Art by DIEGO OLORTEGUI & REILLY BROWN

Cover by DAVID NAKAYAMA

Variant Cover by RON LIM

Variant Cover by ROB LIEFELD

Sketch Variant Cover by ROB LIEFELD

ICX VARIANT COVER BY Pasqual Ferry

Hip-Hop Variant Cover by TBA

Divided We Stand Variant Cover by TBA

32 PGS. • Parental Advisory • $3.99

“9/10” – Newsarama, on Slapstick #1

Steve Harmon was an average teenager who had an average job as your average clown, living in average New Jersey. But after being zapped by weird and mysterious extradimensional energy, Steve became Slapstick, a living, breathing cartoon! Now, after joining, and then quitting, Deadpool’s Mercs for Money, Slapstick is striking it out on his own terms! Sure he’s gotta move back in with his parents, but these new business ventures take time. And anyways, he gets to team-up with the Amazing Spider-Man in his first issue. That seems like he’s doing pretty well to me!

Are there really that many people who want to read about this character? Ah, well. Horse races.

STAR TREK NEW VISIONS SPECIAL: THE HIDDEN FACE

Writer/Photo-manipulation: JOHN BYRNE

FC • 52 pages • $7.99

A chance encounter with a drifting ship leads the crew of the Enterprise to a world where the most obscene thing imaginable is the human face! Captain Kirk must face the greatest test of his belief in the Prime Directive.

Recommended, especially if you're an O.G. (Original Gorn) Star Trek fan.

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #1

Written by KIERON GILLEN

Art by KEV WALKER

Cover by KAMOME SHIRAHAMA

Variant Covers by ELSA CHARRETIER and JAMIE MCKELVIE

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Story Thus Far Variant by SALVADOR LARROCA

Droids Variant by ROD REIS

Blank Variant Also Available

32 pages • T • $4.99

Because you demanded it! Following the blockbuster finale of Darth Vader #25, the fan-favorite character begins a new journey in STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #1 – the new ongoing series coming this December! From superstar writer Kieron Gillen (Darth Vader) and fan-favorite artist Kev Walker (Marvel Zombies) comes Marvel’s first ongoing series starring an original character created in the comics!

“What I wanted to do was show what makes Aphra tick,” says writer Kieron Gillen, in an interview with StarWars.com. “That’s the work I feel I’ve got to do with the character, and that kind of push and pull she has between the stuff she does, which is good and bad.”

Following her time in the clutches of Darth Vader, Doctor Aphra has barely escaped with her life. If he ever learns of her survival, he’ll hunt her to the ends of the galaxy. But for now, it’s time for a return to what she does best. With the droids 0-0-0 and BT-1 in tow, she’s off in search of rare artifacts from the galactic center to the Outer Rim and everywhere in between. Aphra’s got debts to pay after all. Just as long as she can stay one step ahead of the Empire, some Bounty Hunters and just about everyone else in the galaxy! 

“We all love Aphra so much,” says Star Wars line Editor Jordan D. White. “We were overjoyed that she found a way to survive the wrath of the Dark Lord. Now, she’s free to continue her rogueish adventures in digging up old droids and weaponry and selling them to the highest bidder … so long as she can stay off the Imperial radar.”

This December, the Star Wars galaxy expands into thrilling new directions as Doctor Aphra makes her explosive solo debut. It’s high adventure in deep space when STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #1 comes to comic shops and digital devices everywhere!

[Abraham Ford voice] "Who's Dr. Aphra?" [/Abraham Ford voice]

TRANSFORMERS: MORE THAN MEETS: THE EYE REVOLUTION #1

Writers: JAMES ROBERTS & NICK ROCHE

Art/Cover: ALEX MILNE

Subscription Variant NICK ROCHE

Blank Sketch Variant

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

A DATE WTH DESTINY! After years of doing very little, Krok, Crankcase, Fulcrum, Spinister and Misfire think they can wriggle out of anything -- but not even they can avoid a heavily-promoted multi-franchise crossover. It’s the Scavengers Versus Your Childhood in a story that exposes all other art for the sham it is.

• What will the universe’s worst DECEPTICONS make of the world’s greatest crossover?

• One last dance with the your favorite DECEPTICONS before LOST LIGHT begins next month!

• The entire creative team that launched MTMTE returns!

• Variant cover by Ken Christansen, part of a 13-part connected cover! Connects with all 13 Revolution issues and one-shots!

I think this is almost over. Given my tepid interest in these properties, I haven't been keeping up. Has anyone been reading this crossover and like to comment?

TRIGGERMAN #3

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writers: WALTER HILL, MATZ

Artist: JEF

Cover A: JOSH BURNS

Cover B: KODY CHAMBERLIN

Cover C: IVAN RODRIGUEZ

FC • 32pp • $3.99

After a brief brush with Johnny Law, Roy Nash’s cross-country bounty hunt takes a surprising turn when he’s confronted by his former love, Lena Dorsey!

I haven't gotten to this one yet, not due to lack of interest but due to lack of time. But I mean to soon. I've been enjoying the other "Hard Case" title, Peepland, and I expect I'll like this one even more.

On an unrelated note: Man, I'd hate to be attacked in the bathtub. Talk about a disadvantage!

UBER INVASION #1

Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: KIERON GILLEN

Art/Cover: DANIEL GETE

Blitzkrieg Cover: DANIEL GETE

Propaganda Poster Cover: MICHAEL DIPASCALE

Premium Cover: GABRIEL ANDRADE ($9.99)

War Crimes Cover: DANIEL GETE

Wrap Cover: DANIEL GETE

Mature • $3.99

Kieron Gillen's reimagining of superpowers and history is back with America under attack!  In the waning days of World War II, the Germans discovered a way to enhance soldiers into unstoppable monsters.  With these weapons Hitler conquered all of Europe and now has set his sights on the United States.  This is Uber: Invasion!  The German battleships are on American soil and with the allies struggling to make up lost ground in Enhanced Soldier development; the young country is facing the possibility of annihilation!  Available with Regular, Wraparound, War Crimes, and Blitzkrieg covers by series artist Daniel Gete, a painted Propaganda Poster cover, and a limited VIP Premium cover by Gabriel Andrade that is limited to 500 copies!

When I first saw this on the list, my first thought was, "Why would a ride-sharing service invade anywhere?" Surely I'm not the only one!

WONDER WOMAN ‘77 MEETS BIONIC WOMAN #1 (of 6)

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: ANDY MANGELS

Art: JUDIT TONDORA

Cover A: CAT STAGGS

Cover B: ALEX ROSS

Action Figure Variant: MICHAEL ADAMS

Coloring Book Variant: JUDIT TONDORA

Incentive Virgin Variants: CAT STAGGS, ALEX ROSS

Blank Variant available

Fans & retailers, order the cover of your choice!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99 • Teen+

Party like it’s 1977 in this cross-over event fans have wanted for decades — but never thought possible! Now, Diana Prince meets Jaime Sommers … or should we say, Wonder Woman meets The Bionic Woman? In this action-packed mini-series, the two television titans team up to fight a rogue cabal bent on wreaking havoc and stealing deadly weapons. Can CASTRA be stopped before their real targets are revealed and lives are lost? With super powers, bionic enhancements, surprise villains, and an invisible plane, just about anything is possible!

A YEAR OF MARVELS: THE UNCANNY #1

Writers: JEREMY WHITLEY, TODD CASEY & ELLIOTT CASEY

Art: LAURA BRAGA & PAUL DAVIDSON

Cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL

40 PGS. • Rated T+ • $4.99

• It’s Halloween in the Marvel U! What does that mean for KATE BISHOP, A.K.A. HAWKEYE? Well, I can’t tell you here but I CAN guarantee it involves a haunted house, some witty one-liners, and a bad guy shot full of arrows.

• Then it’s time to give thanks for …THE PUNISHER?!  When an op goes south, Frank Castle finds himself in a subterranean game of cat and mouse!  It’s a life or death tale that’ll satisfy more than any turkey dinner!

Since The Punisher already has a title, and Kate will get one in January, I don't see the point of these anthology stories. Unless this is a stealth New Talent Showcase that just isn't advertised as such.

ZOMBIE!: THE ADVENTURE IS YOURS!

Writer/Art/Cover: JON LANCRY

HC • FC • $14.99 • 148 pages • 6” x 9”

Ever wondered how you’d survive a zombie attack? Well it’s time to think about it because a virus is spreading across the city turning everyone into the undead! Maybe you can get to safety at one of the military bases throughout the city or maybe you’ll get bit and quench your thirst for blood as a zombie! Either way you have one goal: survive!

Exciting interactive reading … with Zombies!

So, this is like a choose-your-own-adventure in comic book form?

MORE PRESS RELEASES (ABOUT WHICH I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY)

A&A: THE ADVENTURES OF ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #10

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by RAFER ROBERTS

Art by MIKE NORTON with RYAN LEE

Cover A by RYAN LEE

Cover B by MIKE CHOI

Variant Cover by DOUG PASKIEWICZ

Valiant Cat Cosplay Cover Also Available

$3.99 • 32 pgs. • T+

Beatdown in the bayou!

Armstrong’s surreal reunion with Andromeda, his long-lost wife, gets even weirder (if that’s possible) as a legion of bath salt “empowered” Florida Men unleash total mayhem! But that’s not the only trouble awaiting Valiant’s fearless-ish adventurers… Enemies from across the globe are descending on the Sunshine State to destroy Archer & Armstrong once and for all! But never fear, dear reader, in the darkest of hours a new hero will rise — and, by Gub Gub, he’s bringing prophetic visions of the future with him!

Harvey Award-nominated writer Rafer Roberts (HARBINGER RENEGADES) and Eisner Award-winning artist Mike Norton (Revival) are in one heck of a sticky situation as “ANDROMEDA ESTRANGED” continues!

ADVENTURES OF BASIL AND MOEBIUS: FATE OF FOOLS

Publisher: MAGNETIC PRESS

MAGNETIC PRESS INC.

Writers: RYAN SCHIFRIN, RICHARD LEE BYERS

Art: TBD

Cover: KEN KELLY

$14.99

The fourth and final chapter in the epic THE ADVENTURES OF BASIL & MOEBIUS is written by the legendary fantasy novelist Richard Lee Byers (Forgotten Realms)! The story continuation of the award-winning live action short film starring Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange) Zachary Levi (Chuck), Ray Park (Star Wars) comes to it's epic conclusion!

In THE FATE OF FOOLS the daring duo of scoundrel thieves follow the mysterious and otherworldly Collector to the wildest corners of both time and space in an attempt to stop an age-old alien plot to destroy the fabric of reality! All of their previous encounters and adventures have been leading to this climactic battle!

ASSASSIN'S CREED TEMPLARS #8

Writer/ artist: DENNIS CALERO

Cover A: DENNIS CALERO

Cover B: SIMON MYERS

Cover C: ANTONIO FUSO 

FC • 32pp • $3.99

Things are not all they seem in the Abstergo facility -- not for Dre, and definitely not for Otso. When Dre realises he hasn't been told the whole truth, it's time for his survival instincts to kick in. The only question is: Who can he trust?

THE CIRCLE #1

Writer:  DAMON CLARK

Art/Cover: ALYZIA ZHERNO

Variant: IVAN SHAVRIN

32 pgs. • M • FC • $3.99 (reg.), $4.99 (var.)

After the death of his mother, Christian moves with his single father to the sleepy coastal town of Shell Bay. Upon being bullied at his new school, he’s quickly befriended by the group of “weird” kids. But what Christian doesn’t know is that their playful occult shenanigans may actually be rituals that damn his soul!

DEADMAN: DARK MANSION OF FORBIDDEN LOVE #2 (of 3)

Written by SARAH VAUGHN

Art by LAN MEDINA

Cover by STEPHANIE HANS

Prestige format • 48 pg • FC • 2 of 3 • $5.99 U.S. • RATED T

The bimonthly miniseries continues! After Deadman and Adelia’s sudden disappearance, Berenice begins to unlock the mysteries of Glencourt Manor. With evil lurking around every corner, Berenice longs to confide in her boyfriend Nathan about what she has discovered, but she fears what he may think of her…instead, Berenice finds a sympathetic ear in Sam, who shows Berenice what it means to be a true friend.

THE CHIMERA BRIGADE #3

Writers: SERGE LEHMAN, FABRICE COLIN

Art: GESS

Cover A: SIMONE DI MEO

Cover B: PASQUALE QUALANO

Cover C: JOHN MCCREA

FC • 32pp • $3.99

With the cockroach captured, and Missenbrauch's evil plans unveiled, will Marie Curie's daughter be able to band the superhumans together in order to stop another World War? It all now rests on the shoulders of the Man Who Walks Through Walls.

FAITH #6

Written by JODY HOUSER

Art by MEGHAN HETRICK and MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Cover A by PHILIP TAN

Cover B by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

Character Design Variant by MEGHAN HETRICK

Variant Cover by COLLEEN DORAN

$3.99 • 32 pgs. • T+

Fight and flight!

As Los Angeles’ high-flying protector, Faith has inspired the dreams of an entire metropolis… Now get ready to meet its worst nightmare! When an escaped psiot prisoner starts tearing through the streets, Faith must stop her fiery rampage before all hell break loose! But this isn’t just any ordinary threat… Not only can this empowered escapee drain the energy of everything in sight, she’s one of L.A.’s most controversial pop stars to boot!

Valiant’s chart-topping superhero is about to add a major new player to her frenemies list, courtesy of breakout writer Jody Houser (Mother Panic) and acclaimed artists Meghan Hetrick (Red Thorn) and Marguerite Sauvage (DC Comics Bombshells)!

JACK KIRBY: PENCILS & INKS

Writer/Art/Cover: JACK KIRBY

HC • FC • $49.99 • 160 pages • 8” x 12”

Jack Kirby has been called the King of Comics, and rightfully so. For more than 40 years he was the most vital and groundbreaking artist in the medium. There have been dozens of books on Kirby over the years, including several oversized Artist’s Editions showcasing his original art. This book will present Kirby’s art in a new and unprecedented way, as side-by-side examples of his work, both in PENCIL and INK! Three Key first issues are showcased: The Demon #1, Kamandi #1 and Omac #1, along with a number of additional pieces presented. This is a perfect way to see Kirby art in its rawest form, from photocopies made from the original pencils as each page was completed, then next to it, the finished inks. We would almost call this a textbook of comic art except it’s too much fun!

MOTOR CRUSH #1

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writers: BRENDEN FLETCHER, CAMERON STEWART & BABS TARR

Art: BABS TARR & CAMERON STEWART

Cover A: BABS TARR

Cover B: CAMERON STEWART

40 PAGES • FC • T+ • $3.99

New York Times bestselling creative team Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr (Batgirl of Burnside) reunite for their first creator-owned project together, MOTOR CRUSH, coming from Image Comics this December.

In MOTOR CRUSH #1 readers meet Domino Swift. By day, Domino competes for fame and fortune in a worldwide motorcycle racing league. By night, she cracks heads of rival gangs in brutal bike wars to gain possession of a rare, valuable contraband: an engine-boosting “machine narcotic” known as Crush. But the origins -- and ultimate purpose -- of this mysterious substance are unknown, and could put her on a collision course with danger...

"Something magic happens when Cameron, Babs and I make comics together,” said Fletcher. “We felt it when working on Batgirl and it's there on every neon-soaked page of Motor Crush. We're so fortunate to be able to continue this journey together as colleagues and friends. Motor Crush is the culmination of everything we've been working toward."

Stewart added: "Motor Crush showcases our team at full throttle, working the way we want to produce a comic that's unlike anything you've seen from us before!"

“Hold on tight,” warned Tarr. “It's gonna be one wild ride!!"

Fans of Fletcher, Stewart and Tarr’s revamped and refreshed version of the Doc Martens-wearing and realistic butt-kicking Batgirl will enjoy MOTOR CRUSH’s biker-chick heroine Domino Swift. MOTOR CRUSH takes readers on a thrilling ride that will satisfy fans’ edgy, rebel-studded attitudes with high-octane story and breathtaking art that will leave competition in the dust.

Second press release

From the creative team behind the popular, New York Times bestselling Batgirl of Burnside—Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr—comes MOTOR CRUSH—is a stylish, neon-soaked, revved up science-fiction action series.

“I’m thrilled to continue working with this team on our new series, where we’ll really cut loose with our imagination and deliver a world with more style, more action, and more excitement than you’ve ever seen from us!” said Stewart.

By day, a Domino Swift competes for fame and fortune in a worldwide motorcycle racing league. By night, she cracks helmets of rival gangs in brutal, illegal bike wars on the city streets to gain possession of a rare and valuable contraband: an engine-boosting “machine narcotic” known as MOTOR CRUSH. But the origins -- and ultimate purpose -- of this mysterious substance are unknown, and could put her on a collision course with danger...

Fletcher shared his enthusiasm for returning for a new project, adding: “Working with your friends on the product of your collective, unfiltered imagination is the dream of every creative. And we’re about to live that dream!”

“I am SO excited to continue to work with these boys and really show everyone what we have to offer on something original,” said Tarr. “This book is gonna OOZE style and cool, your eyeballs will barely be able to handle it! I can’t wait to show you guys what we’ve got!”

NIGHTWING #10

Written by TIM SEELEY

Art and cover by MARCUS TO

Variant cover by IVAN REIS and OCLAIR ALBERT

32 pg • FC• $2.99 U.S. • RATED T

“BLUDHAVEN” part one! Following “Night of the Monster Men” and his battle with Raptor, Nightwing heads to Blüdhaven for a fresh start. But that doesn’t last long when he runs into a crew of former Bat-villains!

NINJAK #22

Written by MATT KINDT

Art by CAFU

Cover A by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

Cover B by DIEGO BERNARD

Variant Cover by CLAYTON HENRY

$3.99 • 32 pgs. • T+

Silent might!

Ninjak is on the hunt for the woman who took everything from him — the sadistic assassin known as Roku! When Roku’s trail leads to a heavily guarded citadel in the Nevada desert, silence is of the essence as Ninjak undertakes a dangerous stealth mission where even the faintest noise could mean execution! But even if Valiant’s top super-spy can reach the woman once known as Angelina Alcott undetected, will he truly be able to face the former love of his life?

The Harvey Award-nominated sensation reaches its most innovative chapter yet as New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (4001 A.D.) and visionary artist CAFU (RAI) present a special silent issue with minimal dialogue and groundbreaking visual storytelling!

NORMAN: THE FIRST SLASH #1

Writer/artist: STAN SILAS

Cover A: MARC ELLERBY

Cover B: JAKE

Cover C: RACHAEL SMITH

Cover D: SONIA LEONG

Cover E: AMOONA SAOHIN

FC • 32pp • $3.99

A member of the class has disappeared, and Norman is to blame! This bloodthirsty kid's penchant for killing knows no bounds! With his classmates also out for blood, maybe he should just rid himself of them all, one by one.

NOVA #1

Written by JEFF LOVENESS & RAMON PEREZ

Art & Cover by RAMON PEREZ

Teaser Variant by FRANCESCO MATTINA

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

ICX Variant by KHOI PHAM

Hip-Hop Variant by CHRISTIAN WARD

32 PGS. • Rated T • $3.99

This December, buckle up because a double dose of Human Rocket is coming to Marvel NOW! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look inside NOVA #1 – the highly anticipated new ongoing series from creators Jeff Loveness (Groot) and Ramon Perez (All-New Hawkeye). For years, he stood as one of Earth’s greatest heroes. He fought alongside the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers, stopped the Annihilation Wave from eradicating all life in the galaxy, among other great deeds. In the end, he sacrificed his life to save everyone. But now, Richard Rider has returned from the brink, unsure of his place in a universe that has moved on without him. In his absence, a new Nova has stepped up to fill the void he left behind. Can Sam Alexander remind Rich what it means to be the Human Rocket? You better believe it! Sam just has to finish his homework first. Strap in True Believer, this is NOVA like you’ve never seen it before! Be there for liftoff when NOVA #1 comes to comic shops and digital devices!

ODY-C REACHES VOL 1 (HC)

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer: MATT FRACTION

Art: CHRISTIAN WARD

Mature • $49.99

From the creative team of writer Matt Fraction (CASANOVA, SEX CRIMINALS) and artist Christian Ward (INFINITE VACATION, OLYMPUS) comes an oversized hardcover edition of their ongoing sci-fi epic ODY-C.

ODY-C, modeled after Homer's Odyssey, is a psychedelic, gender-broke science-fiction epic that tells the story of three legendary warrior queens, Odyssia, Ene and Gamem, returning home after a centuries-long battle. Told in verse with a visual sensibility that redefines the very possibilities of the comics medium, this gloriously oversized hardcover also includes exclusive bonus materials: essays by classicist Dani Colman, teaching aids, and a massive 10-page fold-out previously only available in the sold-out first issue.

PRAISE FOR ODY-C:

"A remarkable comic that gets better with each turn of the page." -- Publisher's Weekly

"A trippy, gender-flipped version of Homer's Odyssey hurtling through space on psychedelic, science fiction wings." -- Wired

"Hits an inimitable combination of cool and classic that pulls you into the orbit of an intoxicating journey." -- Paste Magazine

"Let the brilliance of this new incarnation of a classic become a classic of its own. It’s stunning, academic, and utterly captivating.” -- Slug Magazine

"Dense, idea filled... never dumb, and never boring." -- Sequart Magazine

The Official “Star Trek” Adult Coloring Books Will Debut in November

Publisher: DARK HORSE

Art: BILL MUDRON, JUANN CABAL, GABRIEL GUZMAN, DANIEL MAINE, STEFANO MARTINO      

B&W • 96 pages • TPB • 10'' x 10'' • $14.99

Dark Horse proudly announces the latest title in its adult coloring book program, beginning this fall: Star Trek!

The Star Trek coloring books are designed to become instant favorites for fans both young and old of the classic television series. Each adult coloring book features 45 pages of original artwork to be colored on thick, heavyweight 10 x 10–inch pages at a value price of $14.99.

In the Star Trek: The Original Series Adult Coloring Book, set a course for creativity with the original Enterprise crew! This beautiful adult coloring book features stunningly detailed black-and-white images to color in any way you choose. With brand-new illustrations by amazing artists, this is a must-have collectible for Star Trek fans everywhere!

Fans can take a colorful journey with Captain Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) with Star Trek: The Next Generation Adult Coloring Book! With highly detailed, beautifully illustrated images to color however you choose, this tome is a must-have item for Star Trek fans in this galaxy or any other!

More adult coloring books will be announced in the months ahead, so stay tuned for your chance to color your favorite comic creations.

Star Trek: The Original Series Adult Coloring Book and Star Trek: The Next Generation Adult Coloring Book are in stores November 30.

SLEIGHER: THE HEAVY METAL SANTA CLAUS (TPB)

Writer: ROB HARRINGTON

Art: AXUR ENEAS (Art), ALESSANDRO ALESSI (Colors), CHAS! PANGBURN (Letters)

Cover: AXUR ENEAS

128 pgs. • M • FC • $14.99

This is Spinal Tap meets a Rankin/Bass Christmas special!

The ultimate holiday tale for metalheads! Sleigher is the most recent heir of the “Santa Claus” mantle... even if it's not really his bag. He'd rather slam back bourbon than glasses of milk, and blast metal instead of carols. But when a long forgotten member of Santa's rogues gallery rears his ugly head to reap chaos and destruction, Sleigher may have found his true calling---dishing out a holiday ass whoopin!!!

Collects issues #1-4 of the high-octane holiday series!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I too have the first couple of issues of Triggerman sitting on my to-read pile . Near the top though, so hopefully this week...or next week.

I'm not reading the Transformers series. Properties like that: G.I. Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, etc. is the type of thing I'll pick up a trade here or there on the cheap at a con years down the road. I usually enjoy them, but I'm never blown away by them, nor really disappointed.

• So, this is like a choose-your-own-adventure in comic book form?

Squirrel Girl  did that a few months ago

• Wonder Woman/Bionic Woman is worth a look to me, I loved both shows.

• Me too!

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Wonder Woman/Bionic Woman is worth a look to me, I loved both shows.

• • And why is Doctor Octopus playing second fiddle to the Jackal?

Hey, even a *piece* of that fiddle of gold is good money.

Triggerman: I was at a French Comics panel in October that Matz, the writer adapting Walter Hill's story, was on. He definitely made me want to pick up the book, but I decided I'd do it in TPB.

I really love that main Reggie and Me cover. 

• I like the Reggie cover, too. I think I like him better as completely awful. Meanwhile, here's a press release I overlooked:

1936818767?profile=RESIZE_320x320ONE WEEK IN THE LIBRARY AND READERS WILL NEVER WANT TO LEAVE

An original graphic novella filled with enchanting stories come to life

Writer W. Maxwell Prince and artist John Amor (Judas: The Last Days) bring an original graphic novella, ONE WEEK IN THE LIBRARY, to Image Comics this December.

ONE WEEK IN THE LIBRARY is an experimental graphic novella which recounts a troublesome week in a magical Library via seven short stories—one for each day—that use comics, infographics, prose, and poetry to play with the graphic medium and explore the multivalent world of living narrative.

“Telling stories isn’t easy for me,” said W. Maxwell Prince. “I often find myself really interested in one thing, but then boring of that quickly and moving on to something completely different. This book allowed me to embrace that attention deficit while simultaneously building something with a solid center. The end result, I think, is really fun. It doesn’t move in the ways that comics usually do, but it’s still identifiably a comic book. Except for when it’s not, of course.”

Welcome to the Library. It’s here that every story ever written is catalogued and monitored by a single man, who’s begun to notice something strange: the books are rebelling.

ONE WEEK IN THE LIBRARY with cover art by Frazer Irving (Diamond Code SEP160780) will hit comic book stores on Wednesday, December 7th.

•  I've got the issue and it looks good so far.  Jamie is easily not as powerful as Diana but there was some good time between them and the storyline itself is one that could easily fit into the 1970's.

Captain Comics said:

Me too!

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

• Maybe roaches have friends in high places. Whenever they'd show Creepshow on television they always cut out the story with the roaches and jumped to the ending with the voodoo doll.

There have been a lot of stories where Reggie was a real jerk in them, but you have to go back pretty far. Reggie as Evilheart started out as a villain then turned into a hero but kept the name. By the 80s the gang were all very buddy buddy, Betty and Veronica dropping their rivalry over Archie to declare their eternal friendship, and Reggie helping the gang do things like clean up Riverdale. This might have contributed to their sales dropping to fanzine levels. Reggie as friend was pretty dull. And there went the stories where Jughead would work elaborate cons on him, or Moose chasing him for looking at his "gurl."

• Lynda's Diana wasn't that much more powerful than Jamie.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

I've got the issue and it looks good so far.  Jamie is easily not as powerful as Diana but there was some good time between them and the storyline itself is one that could easily fit into the 1970's.

Captain Comics said:

Me too!

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

• Wasn't Wonder Woman of the 1970s a season interstice show for Bionic Woman, occuppying the same time slot?

This reply was deleted.