DARK HORSE COMICS

BARB WIRE #6

Writer: CHRIS WARNER

Pencils: PATRICK OLLIFFE

Inks: TOM NGUYEN

Colors: WES DZIOBA

Cover: ADAM HUGHES

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Ongoing 

Grilled like a tough steak by mysterious federal agents, Barb Wire recounts her very first solo bounty hunt. What looks like an easy-money walk in the park quickly turns to a holy-@#$% run for survival as Barb discovers that her skip is hot property ... and his pursuers don’t play!

Barb Wire is bold and fast-paced.”—Comic Book Resources

“Not a series you should sleep on.”—Geeked Out Nation

I like this book for the covers. They're irresistible. Otherwise disappointing, for reasons I've explicated in previous Guides.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

ESSENTIAL KURTZMAN VOL 1: JUNGLE BOOK (LTD ED HC)

Publisher: DARK HORSE COMICS

Writer: HARVEY KURTZMAN & VARIOUS

Art/Cover: HARVEY KURTZMAN

$125.00

From Dark Horse Comics. Harvey Kurtzman's Jungle Book -- ranked #26 on The Comic Journal's "Top 100 Comics" list -- is a "lost" masterpiece. Crumb, Shelton, Spiegelman, and Gilliam, among others, were inspired and influenced by Kurtzman's masterwork. Back in print after twenty-five years, this deluxe hardcover includes an essay by Denis Kitchen and foreword by R. Crumb! This numbered edition is limited to 175 copies and features a tipped-in, signature on a cancelled check by creator Harvey Kurtzman (1924-1993).

Well, shucks, I just bought the regular edition from Amazon. Why don't they warn me when they're going to publish something I want? It's almost like my happiness isn't their highest priority!

HARROW COUNTY VOL 1: COUNTLESS HAINTS (TPB)

Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Art/Cover: TYLER CROOK

FC, 144 pages. $14.99, TPB, 7” x 10”

Emmy always knew that the woods surrounding her home crawled with ghosts and monsters. But on the eve of her eighteenth birthday, she learns that she is connected to these creatures—and to the land itself—in a way she never imagined. Collecting the first four issues of the southern gothic fairy tale from the creator of smash hit The Sixth Gun, beautifully and hauntingly realized by B.P.R.D.’s Tyler Crook!

For fans of The Sixth Gun, Rachel Rising, and Locke & Key.

“A masterful creation that lingers in the small moments of terror from our daily lives.”— Bloody Disgusting

“A beautifully illustrated page-turner of a story.”—Bleeding Cool

I've really been enjoying this series, which is genuinely creepy. Here's a chance to catch up, if you like creepy!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

MYSTERY GIRL #1

Writer: PAUL TOBIN

Art/Cover: ALBERTO ALBURQUERQUE

Colors: MARISSA LOUISE

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

SHE CAN SOLVE ANY MYSTERY BUT HER OWN!

Trine Hampstead knows everything. Ask her a question like “Where are my keys?” or “Is he cheating on me?” or “How are there perfectly preserved mammoths in recent ice?” and she just knows. She’s the Mystery Girl. The only thing Trine doesn’t know is how she knows—or anything else from the last ten years of her life.

• A new series from the Eisner-winning cocreator of Bandette!

• For fans of Marvel Girl and iZombie!

Another new series. It's a tsunami!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

DC COMICS

ABSOLUTE BATMAN: THE COURT OF OWLS (HC)

Written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV

Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION

Cover by GREG CAPULLO

384 pg, FC, 8.25” x 12.5”, $99.99 US

The explosive “Court of Owls” storyline gets the Absolute Edition treatment, collecting BATMAN #1-11! It all begins when a series of brutal murders rocks not only Gotham City to its core but also the Caped Crusader himself when the prime suspect is one of Batman’s closest allies – Dick Grayson! After a series of deadly discoveries, Bruce Wayne has learned that the Court of Owls is real — and a deadly threat out to control Gotham City!

I really liked this storyline, but this is, like, the fourth collection in a couple of years. Nothing is that good.

ALL-STAR SECTION EIGHT #6

Written by GARTH ENNIS

Art by JOHN McCREA

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

On sale NOVEMBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, 6 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Sixpack travels to the ends of the earth in his search for answers, but Dogwelder has already come face-to-face with his own past. The awful truth about Section Eight begins to dawn on our ragged little band—but just when things are at their bleakest, a hero appears with exactly the solution they’re looking for. Not a minute too soon, as the long-awaited threat finally appears in Gotham City...

You can't really blame him, can you? A boy gets thirsty!

BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN (TPB)

Written by FRANK MILLER, JEPH LOEB, SCOTT SNYDER, MARK VERHEIDEN, JOE KELLY and GEOFF JOHNS

Art by FRANK MILLER, KLAUS JANSON, JIM LEE, SCOTT WILLIAMS, GREG CAPULLO, MATTHEW CLARK and ED BENES

Cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

160 pg, FC, $9.99 US

The two most popular superheroes of all time aren’t always on the same side! This collection captures some of the most incredible and memorable clashes between the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight from the pages of BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #4, BATMAN #612, BATMAN #35-36, SUPERMAN/BATMAN #32 and #78, and JUSTICE LEAGUE #2.

How does Batman survive all these fights? Superman only has to win once!

BOY COMMANDOS BY SIMON AND KIRBY VOL 2 (HC)

Publisher: DC COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JOE SIMON, JACK KIRBY

$49.99

In these stories from THE BOY COMMANDOS #3-5, WORLD'S FINEST COMICS #10-13 and DETECTIVE COMICS #74-83 and 85, the Boy Commandos must escape enemy kidnappers, encounter a mystical monk looking for items that exemplify modern civilization, set up a pirate radio station behind enemy lines, and stand accused of treason.

Yeeeesssss! I was afraid that one volume was all we were gonna get.

DC COMICS PRESENTS: ROBIN WAR 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #1

DC COMICS PRESENTS: ROBIN WAR 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #1

Written by GEOFF JOHNS, GRANT MORRISON, TONY S. DANIEL and FABIAN NICIEZA

Art by ANDY KUBERT, TONY S. DANIEL and others

Cover by RYAN SOOK

On sale DECEMBER 2 • 96 pg, FC, $7.99 US

It’s Robin vs. Robin vs. Robin in these stories from TEEN TITANS #29, BATMAN #657, NIGHTWING #139 and BATMAN: BATTLE FOR THE COWL #3.

DC COMICS PRESENTS: TITANS HUNT 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #1

Written by BOB HANEY

Art by BRUNO PREMIANI and NICK CARDY

Cover by TBA

On sale NOVEMBER 18 • 96 pg, FC, $7.99 US

The TITANS HUNT is on—and now, DC Comics collects some of the original stories that brought together your favorite teen heroes! Don’t miss some of the earliest tales of the Teen Titans in these stories from BRAVE AND THE BOLD #54 and 60, and TEEN TITANS #1 and 4, starring Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl and Speedy!

I used to love 100-Page Super Spectaculars. I'm glad to see 'em back, and I hope a new generation enjoys them as much as I did.

HARLEY’S LITTLE BLACK BOOK #1

Written by AMANDA CONNER and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by AMANDA CONNER and a bunch of people who owe her favors

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

Variant covers by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL

48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+

It’s the sensational debut of a bimonthly, overstuffed, oversized team-up series in which Harley meets (and almost certainly annoys) the greatest heroes and villains of the DC Universe! First up? The incredible Wonder Woman! There’s a plot to assassinate Wondy, and Harley is convinced that only she could possibly stop it! (Hey, you want to tell her about all the other options? We tried.)

This issue features open-to-order variant covers by J. Scott Campbell that will be shipped in opaque polybags.

It's still amazing to me that quasi-parody characters like Harley and Deadpool have become so popular. We used to be so concerned that people take our hobby seriously!

iZOMBIE OMNIBUS (HC)

Written by CHRIS ROBERSON

Art by MICHAEL ALLRED, GILBERT HERNANDEZ, JAY STEPHENS, J. BONE and JIM RUGG

Cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

672 pg, FC, $75.00 US • MATURE READERS

The entire 28-issue run of iZOMBIE, the comic that inspired the hit series on the CW, is collected in this new hardcover! Meet Gwen Dylan, a 20-something gravedigger in an eco-friendly cemetery—who also happens to be a zombie! Once a month she must eat a human brain to keep from losing her own memories, but in the process she becomes consumed with the thoughts and personality of the dead person—until she eats her next brain. Our zombie girl detective is joined by her best friend, Eleanor, a swinging ‘60s ghost, plus a posse of paintball-blasting vampires, a smitten were-dog and a hot but demented mummy. This collection features a new wraparound cover by superstar artist Michael Allred!

This diverges sharply from the TV show of the same name. I enjoy both, and I think you would, too.

LEX LUTHOR: A CELEBRATION OF 75 YEARS (HC)

Written and illustrated by various

Cover by DAVID FINCH and JOE WEEMS

360 pg, FC, $39.99 US

He’s Superman’s most implacable foe—and now, DC Comics celebrates the criminal career of Lex Luthor! This new hardcover includes every phase of Luthor’s history, from mad scientist to corrupt captain of industry, from president of the United States to member of the Justice League! Includes stories from the very beginning, written by Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel, to the present day, written by Geoff Johns!

Geez, Lex, you look pretty good for 75. Well, except for the hair. You're not sensitive about that, are you?

ROBIN WAR #1

Written by TOM KING

Art and cover by KHARY RANDOLPH

1:25 Variant cover by LEE BERMEJO

48 pg, FC, 1 of 2, $4.99 US • RATED T

THE ROBINS FACE THE COURT OF OWLS!

In part 1 of this new epic, it’s Robins vs. cops! Robins vs. Robins! Robins vs. Batman! And Robins vs. the Court of Owls?!

Damian Wayne returns to Gotham City, and he is not happy. There are kids all over the city calling themselves Robin, Bruce Wayne is no longer Batman and the GCPD, led by the new, armored-up Batman, is cracking down on anybody wearing the “R.” And things only get worse when Red Hood, Red Robin and Grayson all come back to Gotham City...

You know, robins don't usually do very well against owls.

THE SHERIFF OF BABYLON #1

Written by TOM KING

Art by MITCH GERADS

Cover by JOHN PAUL LEON

32 pg, FC, 1 of 8, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

Baghdad, 2003. Florida Police officer-turned-military contractor, Chris Henry is tasked with training a new Iraqi police force. When one of his trainees ends up dead, Chris is forced to team up with Nassir, the last remaining cop in Baghdad. Pulling the strings to bring them together is the mysterious Sofia, an American-educated Iraqi who has returned to take control of the city’s criminal underworld. This miniseries is a thrilling wartime crime drama told amid one of the most tumultuous times in modern history.

THE SHERIFF OF BABYLON is a new eight-issue miniseries pulled from GRAYSON cowriter Tom King’s real-life experience as a CIA operations officer and is illustrated by Mitch Gerads, cocreator of The Activity.

Criminentlies, ANOTHER new series! Everyone's looking for their Walking Dead pot o' gold. Most of them won't find it, but we readers benefit for the effort!

IDW PUBLISHING

DONALD DUCK: THE DIABOLICAL DUCK AVENGER (TPB)

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer: RODOLFO CIMINO & Various

Art: ROMANO SCARPA & Various

Cover: MARCO ROTA

TPB • FC • $12.99 • 116 pages

Enjoy modern and classic Disney tales such as “The Diabolical Duck Avenger,” “The Perfect Calm,” “Birthday Bugaboo!,” and more by classic creators such as Rodolfo Cimino and Romano Scarpa. Collects issues #4–6.

This story is emblematic of what I find wrong with the European duck stories. In this one, Donald finds the gimmicks and costume of a legendary superhero, and uses them to steal from Uncle Scrooge. In the process, he endangers a number of people and breaks any number of laws. Scrooge's response shows no better character than, say, Simon Stagg. 

This isn't funny to me, and I can't find anybody to root for. Even Huey, Dewey and Louie seem mean-spirited. I'm used to Barks stories, and he would never do anything like this.

But it's just ducks, right? Cartoon characters. Real-world morality shouldn't be an issue, right? Bugs Bunny does some bad stuff, right? Still, doesn't sit right.

THE INCREDIBLE HULK – SAL BUSCEMA MARVEL ARTIST SELECT SERIES #1

Writers: BILL MANTLO, ROGER STERN, & JOHN BYRNE

Art/Cover: SAL BUSCEMA

HC • FC • $75.00 net discount item • 312 Pages

Introducing the Marvel Artist Select Series! This oversized, limited-edition hardcover celebrates the legendary Sal Buscema's time on The Incredible Hulk with a hand-curated selection of Buscema's favorite issues chosen by the artist himself. Each copy of this 999-copy limited-edition hardcover is slipcased, hand-numbered and signed.

• Signed by Sal Buscema!

• This collection will only be available in this limited-edition run!

• Exclusive slipcover, cover, and bonus collectibles!

• Advance solicited for September release!

• Contains stories from Buscema's legendary Hulk run and featuring Doc Samson, the Silver Surfer, the Absorbing Man, the Leader, the death of Glenn Talbot, the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon and Bruce Banner Hulk, and much more!

I confess I was never much of a Sal fan (more of a John fan). But I know Sal Buscema was the face of Bronze Age Marvel to a lot of fans, and this should appeal to them.

IMAGE COMICS

BLACK JACK KETCHUM #1 (OF 4)

Writer: BRIAN SCHIRMER

Art: CLAUDIA BALBONI

Cover: JEREMY SALIBA

32 PAGES / FC / T / $3.99

In a dreamlike version of the Old West, Tom Ketchum struggles to clear his name”and stay alive”when he's mistaken for wanton outlaw "Black Jack" Ketchum. With the aid of his talking sidearm, a secretive gambler, and a mute girl with a Winchester, Tom evades the mysterious Union and its supernatural enforcers, the faceless Dusters, as he's forced to question his identity, his sanity, and his very existence.

Another Weird Western. Becoming a trend.

NAILBITER #18

Writer: JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art/Cover: MIKE HENDERSON

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

There is a new serial killer in Georgia and catching it might mean selling your soul to the Devil.

Dude! Don't you read horror comics? Pre-Code or post-Code, that trick never works!

RAT QUEENS VOL 1 (DLX HC)

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer: KURTIS J. WIEBE

Art: ROC UPCHURCH & Various

Mature/$39.99

Collects RAT QUEENS #1-10 plus the never-before reprinted RAT QUEENS SPECIAL: BRAGA #1 plus extras all in an over-sized hardcover with a SILVER-FOIL stamped cover! A collector's dream package just in time for Christmas!

I've enjoyed this series. Sometimes it wanders off, but mostly it's a story of four friends who are also amazing fighters of the D&D stripe in a Hyborian-type world. You'll like them, too.

MARVEL COMICS

ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT AVENGERS #2

Writer: MARK WAID

Art: ADAM KUBERT

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Variant Cover by OSCAR JIMENEZ

32 PGS / RATED T+ / $3.99

The Avengers are dead--long live the Avengers! Earth’s Mightiest Heroes--Captain America, Thor, Vision, and Iron Man--are living separate lives, not tied to any team--but when a threat from beyond the stars targets our world, fate draws them together once more, alongside Nova, Ms. Marvel, and Miles Morales a.k.a. Spider-Man!

Looks like this is going to be the "main" Avengers title, in that it includes the Big Three, plus The Vision. I guess the three kids are thrown in for variety and/or comic relief.

I wasn't thrilled with the first issue, but I'll probably get the first trade to give it a chance.

ALL-NEW INHUMANS #1

Written by JAMES ASMUS & CHARLES SOULE

Art & Cover by STEFANO CASELLI

Variant Cover by STEFANO CASELLI

Connecting Variant D by JIM CHEUNG

Hip Hop Variant by MARCO D’ALFONSO

Action Figure 2-Pack Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Cosplay Variant by YAYA HAN

40 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

As the Terrigen Clouds move around the world they leave in their wake the wrecked lives of the Inhumanized. Crystal and her team are tasked to help as many of these NuHumans as possible, but it’s not going to be easy. Not only are views of these new super-powered people varied (from fear to anger to amazement) but even those who get the powers aren’t always glad to get them. Add to that the nineteen mysterious Skyspears that recently crashed into the Earth, and the Inhuman world just got a lot more complicated.

She is Inhuman royalty. She’s been an Avenger, served alongside the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. She is Crystal…and this December she steps into her new role for a new Marvel Universe in ALL-NEW INHUMANS #1! Writers James Asmus and Charles Soule join forces with artist Stefano Caselli to expand the world of the Inhumans across globe!

Part diplomatic emissaries, part covert strike team, Crystal and her team have a new mission: protect their growing race by any means necessary! As the Terrigen Cloud rips across the planet, leaving new Inhumans in its wake – Crystal, Gorgon, Flint, Naja and Grid travel the world in search of Inhumans in need, and pursue those would harm them. But as mysterious obelisks called Skyspears begin to appear across the globe, they could have cataclysmic and dangerous consequences for their race.

All-New Inhumans in particular will focus on the strange and dangerous complication that come from a global unleashing of NuHumans,” says writer James Asmus in an interview with Marvel.com. “This book will be the number one way to see exactly how the Marvel Universe is changing as the Terrigen Cloud moves through the world. It’s about getting into countries hit by the cloud – through any means necessary – to help those who need it, and to stop those out to kill/exploit/harvest their fellow NuHumans.”

But when mysterious Skyspears begin appearing all over the world, their appearance could have dangerous and cataclysmic consequences for Inhumans across the globe.

“Skyspears are big obelisk-type artifacts that have appeared in or near population centers all around the globe,” explains Charles Soule. “They can’t be moved, or damaged, or even really affected in any way. Their purpose is part of a pretty long play, but the All-New Inhumans will definitely be involved with their ongoing story.”

Wow, who would have guessed that Crystal would ever have her own book? (I give it 6 issues.)

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

ALL-NEW X-MEN #1

Written by DENNIS HOPELESS

Art & Cover by MARK BAGLEY

Variant Cover by MARK BAGLEY

Hip-Hop Variant by ED PISKOR

Kirby Monster Variant by JACK KIRBY

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

Hated and feared more than ever, the world is a more dangerous place for mutants. But as the few remaining X-Men retreat into seclusion, a handful of teenagers will strike out on their own – refusing to let their fate be decided for them. Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look at ALL-NEW X-MEN #1 – the new series from Dennis Hopeless (X-Men: Season One) and Mark Bagley (Ultimate Spider-Man)! Stepping out of the shadows of their predecessors and future selves – Cyclops, Angel, Iceman, the All-New Wolverine, Kid Apocalpyse and Oya are hitting the road, learning to be heroes, and changing their destinies. But with the world a more hostile place than ever for their kind – is there hope for their future? Find out this December in ALL-NEW X-MEN #1!

This is the most interesting X-title to me so far, at least as far as the cast is concerned. What can I say? I like the characters I grew up with more than any mutie-come-latelys, even if they've changed substantially.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

DAREDEVIL #1

Writer: CHARLES SOULE

Art/Cover: RON GARNEY

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

HIp-Hop Variant by ALEX MALEEV

Marvel ’92 variant by LARRY STROMAN

Variant by TIM SALE

Variant by JOE QUESADA

Cosplay Variant by PATRICK ‘RICK’ LANCE

He’s back in black and back on his home turf. Today, Marvel is pleased to present DAREDEVIL #1 – the blockbuster new series from writer Charles Soule (Death of Wolverine, Uncanny Inhumans) and artist Ron Garney (Captain America, Wolverine)! It’s a new beginning for Matt Murdock in the all-different Marvel Universe. Back in New York City and practicing law in the District Attorney’s office for the first time – Matt’s day job and night job finally align. Fighting crime in the shadows, prosecuting bad guys in the light … it’s a whole new world for the Man Without Fear. Including the arrival of a new hero he’s taken under his wing. Who is this new hero and where did he come from? Welcome to Hell, Blindspot. Hope you survive the experience! Be there as the Man Without Fear charges headlong into the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe in DAREDEVIL #1!

Well, Mark Waid's gone. It had to happen sometime. Soule's got some pretty big shoes to fill!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

DOCTOR STRANGE #3

Writer: JASON AARON

Art/Cover: CHRIS BACHALO

Variant: TIM SALE

Marvel ‘92 Variant: MARK TEXEIRA

• Dr. Strange wakes up, nearly naked with none of his magical tools or spellbooks and no memory of how he got there.

• Nor does he know where all the monsters chasing him came from.

Nice BVD-ormammus. Seriously, Aaron has already fixed what has ailed many previous Dr. Strange outings (lack of a supporting cast, lack of a personality, lack of a personal life), so I'm on board for this one. Plus: Chris Bachalo!

EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #3

Writer: JEFF LEMIRE

Art/Cover: HUMBERTO RAMOS

VARIANT COVER BY CLAY MANN

• Mutantkind is teetering on the brink of extinction and the X-MEN are in dire straits!

• STORM and ICEMAN defend the last remaining mutants from a demonic attack!

• The world’s newest mutant discovers she has a terrifying power!

• And OLD MAN LOGAN and JEAN GREY meet for the first time…

I have never, ever bought into Jean Grey being enamored of Wolverine.

I know, I know, he had a lot going for him before he died. The redemption story. The failed samurai schtick. The haunted look of a man with a tragic past. Yeah, yeah, I can see everyone swooning over that.

But excise all that from your mind, and go re-read the early all-new X-Men stories by Claremont, Cockrum and Byrne. In those days, when Wolverine had only appeared previously in two issues of Incredible Hulk (and was pretty ineffective there), he was depicted a lot differently.

In fact, Logan was an absolute a-hole. He was a blue-collar redneck with no redeeming features whatsoever. Plus, he was hairy, short (5 feet, 5 inches) and ugly. Maybe he could land a drunk waitress now and then, but Jean Grey was completely out of his league. Further, class structure worked the other way for Grey.  Even if she had a thing for short, ugly, rude men -- which we certainly hadn't seen before -- she was an upper middle class girl who would have to overcome virtually her entire upbringing to consider him even a potential one-night stand.

This guy was such an antisocial misfit that he still tried to bed Grey, even though she would likely have no interest, that it would antagonize the pack leader, likely lead to violence, and likely lead to the pack breaking apart. Even by his own rules, that was a particularly selfish act.

Not that he was terribly wise to the ways of human nature, as when he planned to bring flowers to Grey in the hospital and woo her when she was weak, not realizing that decent human beings have friends and family who would be there already. This guy was not just an anti-hero, he was simply a thug.

And that was the way of it before Byrne started adding some more interesting, and later noble, characterization to Logan. I'd say that started with Logan accepting Scott as pack leader when they were battling Proteus, and turned a corner during the Hellfire Club story, accelerating after that.

But that was later. Claremont (and Byrne, presumably) tried to establish the improbable love triangle of Logan, Jean and Scott, well before that. Claremont's explanation was that some part of Jean was "wild" and responded to Logan's bullying, alcoholism, brutality, shortness, hairiness, crudeness, homicidal violence, inability to get along with anyone "wildness." Sh-yeah.

Now, after the preposterosity of Claremont's original stories, and during the time that Wolverine's rougher edges were smoothed out (although he was and is a mass murderer and assassin) we were given a couple of decades of the romantic triangle ...

... and I didn't believe any of them. Not one. Because of how it started.

I found those stories annoying. That has been my perspective all along. When Jean and Logan get chummy, I just roll my eyes and skim ahead. I can believe an alien can fly, but I can't believe that human beings -- even Homo Superior -- can act in defiance of human nature.

So now you might understand why it ESPECIALLY irritates me that Logan hated Scott Summers for having the girl he wanted -- as low-class people do -- and then WON. Writers have now established that, despite Logan killed more people than I've ever met (and forgotten most of them), that it's Scott that is somehow the irredeemable killer. Scott, who killed one person, a man he loved like a father, while under mind control.

You know what Jean Grey did when possessed by the Phoenix Force? She killed a WHOLE PLANET. And everyone gave her a mulligan. But when Cyclops kills  ONE PERSON when possessed by the Phoenix Force, he is despised by everyone.

He deserves our pity and support. But NOOOO, Wolverine sells better, so all of Scott's friends turned on him and sent him to jail. Oh, and they have all accepted Logan as the REAL surrogate son for Charles Xavier, instead of the guy who was Xavier's actual chosen surrogate for decades. And Hank McCoy has now decided that he isn't Scott's friend and hasn't been for a very long time. Y'know, with friends like those, Magneto doesn't seem so bad.

So you might understand that I see Logan and Jean being an item as something along the lines of the bully who kicked sand in the face of the skinny guy at the beach in those Charles Atlas ads becoming the hero of that story. Or Biff winning the girl in Back to the Future. Or Gwen Stacy kicking Peter to the curb and dating Flash Thompson.

Or Betty and Veronica dumping Archie for Reggie, with Jughead's approval.

It's the story of the bully winning over the intellectual, the thug somehow out-charming the romanticist, the brawn beating the brain. The guy who studied all his life to achieve his position has been displaced by the guy who never studied anything, and tried to steal his girl behind his back. It's the shy beauty choosing the gangster over the straight-A student with a good job, because after all, aren't girls silly little things that swoon over the toughest guy in the room? Even in pre-Code Crime Does Not Pay the gangster would pay in the end, and Good-Grades Guy would get the girl. But not in X-comics.

Worse, everyone cheers the victory. The studious guy's friends abandon him to put Andrew Dice Clay on their shoulders and carry him off to the boudoir to claim his prize, a girl who exists as nothing BUT a prize.

To me, the central hero of the X-story has always been Scott Summers, but because he isn't as popular as Wolverine, he's written to be hated and feared by his own friends for actions beyond his control. To me, the guy who's running a murder squad is the villain, but in X-comics he's the leader of the team, the headmaster of the X-school (HAHAHAHAHA) and the guy that all the X-women want to sleep with (and most of them have). And he is loved and admired by all the other mutants, who have kicked Cyclops -- their longtime, selfless champion -- out of the club while he is clearly grieving and in need of their support. No wonder ordinary humans hate and fear mutants -- their value system is upside down.

Why do I bring that up now? Look at that cover. If teenage Jean finds octogenarian Logan romantically attractive in this issue, which is the implication, I am GOING TO BECOME QUITE CROSS. (Also, Jean Grey is 5 feet, six inches, so she ought to be taller than Wolverine on that cover.)

Boy, does it feel good to get that off my chest!

GUARDIANS OF INFINITY #1

Written by DAN ABNETT & JASON LATOUR

Art by CARLO BARBERI & JIM CHEUNG

Cover by JIM CHEUNG

Variant Cover by CARLO BARBERI

Hip-Hop Variant by MARCO RUDY

Marvel '92 Variant by RON LIM or LARRY STROMAN

56 PGS / ONE-SHOT / $5.99

This December, the infinite expanse of time and space will give way, as teams from three eras burst forth and unite like never before in GUARDIANS OF INFINITY #1 – a brand new ongoing series launching as part of All-New All-Different Marvel! Fan favorite writer Dan Abnett (Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians 3000) and artists Carlo Barberi (Deadpool, Amazing Spider-Man) take you on an explosive thrill ride into the timestream and across the galaxy!

When a mysterious structure is discovered floating in the void of space – Rocket Raccoon, Drax and Groot unearth a powerful and dark secret that could unravel the very fabric of space and time! Good thing the Guardians 3000 are on hand to help! But who are the mysterious and enigmatic Guardians 1000?! And are these ancient travelers here to help, or hinder?

Plus, every issue of GUARDIANS OF INFINITY will include a special bonus story from some of the industry’s top creators. First, it’s battles to the death inside the squared circle as Jason Latour (Spider-Gwen) and Jim Cheung (New Avengers) bring you a can’t miss story of Ben Grimm and Rocket Raccoon. Stranded on a planet where culture is based on Earth-style professional wrestling, the bruiser from Yancy Street and the Guardian’s own ferocious furball find themselves locked in a struggle of life and death!

Is the galaxy big enough for three teams of Guardians? Find out this December as Abnett, Barberi, Latour and Cheung take you on an action-packed adventure across the cosmos in GUARDIANS OF INFINITY #1!

This was solicited as a one-shot, but two press releases said it's an ongoing. (And the two releases had different artists listed for the Marvel '92 variant cover.) Your guess is as good as mine.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #4

Writer: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art/Cover: DAVID MARQUEZ

VARIANT COVER BY YASMINE PUTRI

Tony is knee deep in trouble from enemies both old and new. But here comes MARY JANE WATSON AND HIS WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!

*Sigh.* This is such a bad idea.

RED WOLF #1

Writer: NATHAN EDMONDSON

Art: DALIBOR TALAJIC

Cover by JEFFREY VEREGGE

Variant by DALE KEOWN

Hip-Hop Variant by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

ONCE UPON A TIMELY IN THE WEST …

The Marvel Universe’s American Southwest now has a superhero to call its very own – the mysterious new hero, RED WOLF! Recently seen within the pages of Secret Wars’ 1872, as the hero named Red Wolf – the Cheyenne who crossed the desert and stood up to Mayor Wilson Fisk and stood shoulder to shoulder with the fallen Sheriff Steve Rogers. But that’s all in the past. This new hero is suddenly thrust into the new Marvel Universe as its latest righteousness defender no matter what it takes! An outsider and an honest man, Red Wolf is going to need all his wits, and both his fists, to serve and protect this new world from the corrupt organizations that want to control this already stifling landscape of the gritty and harsh American Southwest.

Series writer Nathan Edmondson (Black Widow, Punisher) is joined by artist Dalibor Talajić (Uncanny X-Force, Empire of the Dead) and cover artist Jeffrey Veregge, a member of the Port Gamble S'Klallam Tribe based out of Kingston, Washington, who's also of Suquamish and Duwamish decent. Veregge will also be providing consulting when it comes to characterization and design for the new series.

"There's not a character like Red Wolf out there right now," Veregge told Mashable at the time of the series announcement. "As a native, I’m really excited to see that he can do things, he can figure out things and stand with Captain America, and hold his own in this universe. That’s what’s awesome about it: You have all these characters of different nationalities and ethnicities, but it’s not all about their culture. It’s about them being a hero."

There’s something about that harsh terrain of the American Southwest that requires an adaptable, thoughtful, resourceful hero, and that’s Red Wolf all over,” said series editor Jacob Thomas. “He doesn’t have amped up strength or tech, he’s got quick wits, hard fists, and an unshakeable sense of justice. Underestimate him at your own peril.”

This December, the new Marvel Universe gains a new hero who pledges to never let the crushing hands of ruthlessness control those who cannot defend themselves. Red Wolf is here to keep order and maintain peace … no matter the cost.

Man, they better walk a careful line here. I know a few Native Americans, and there's really no way to do a book like this and make everyone happy.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

SPIDEY #1

Writer: ROBBIE THOMPSON

Art/Cover: NICK BRADSHAW

Variant by HUMBERTO RAMOS

Hip-Hop Variant by GYIMAH GARIBA

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

Today, he’s the world’s greatest superhero. But long before he swung from rooftops as the Amazing Spider-Man, he was just a spider-powered teenager who knew that “with great power must also come great responsibility.” Today, Marvel is pleased to announce SPIDEY #1 – a brand-new ongoing series launching as part of All-New, All-Different Marvel! Follow the adventures of teenaged Peter Parker in a new series set within continuity from rising star writer Robbie Thompson (TV’s Supernatural, Silk) and blockbuster Marvel Young Gun artist Nick Bradshaw (Wolverine and the X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy)!

“Everyone remembers their FIRST Spider-Man comic,” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “SPIDEY aims to be perfect as someone’s first Spider-Man comic, or their one thousandth. We’re not looking to re-tell stories here. What Robbie [Thompson] and Nick [Bradshaw] have put together is an exciting new take on Spider-Man at his arguably most iconic incarnation, and will feel fresh to new and old fans alike.”

Class is in session as two of the hottest creators in comics take Peter back to school for a classic and iconic take on the Spider-Man mythology. Familiar faces and new characters populate Peter Parker’s world as he balances his double life as a high school student and the high-flying, web-swinging new hero Spider-Man!

“Out of the 700+ issues of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN” shares Spider-Man Editor Nick Lowe, “Peter Parker was only in high school for thirty issues! Stan and Steve covered a lot, but there’s a lot of the high school and early super hero experience still on the table.”

Iconic villains, a classic supporting cast, the ol’ Parker Luck and more are back! Don’t miss one moment of these bombastic new adventures as Thompson and Bradshaw create a legend of their own when SPIDEY #1 comes to comic shops later this year!

So the Spider-Man I grew up with is now for kids. I find that less troubling than you'd expect.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #1

Written by GREG PAK

Art/Cover by FRANK CHO

Variant Cover by FRANK CHO

Variant by WOO CHEO

Hip-Hop variant cover by MAHMUD ASRAR

Marvel '92 Variant by DALE KEOWN

40 PGS / Rated T / $4.99

THERE’S A BRAND NEW HULK IN TOWN, AND HIS NAME IS AMADEUS CHO!

Strap in, hold on and Hulk out – it’s time to meet your Totally Awesome Hulk, the one and only Amadeus Cho! That’s right true believer, it’s a all-new Jade Giant for an all-different Marvel Universe and he’s coming to you this December in TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #1! Legendary and storied Hulk scribe Greg Pak (Planet Hulk) returns to the fan-favorite character he created as he powers up to become the newest green goliath! And he’s bringing blockbuster artist Frank Cho (Mighty Avengers, Savage Wolverine) along for the ride!

“For decades, Dr. Bruce Banner has buckled under the weight of his fearsome alter ego, the Incredible Hulk,” Says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso.  “Now, someone else is going to take away Banner’s burden, hoist it onto his frail shoulders like it weighs no more than a leaf, and embrace the pure fun being the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe.  It’s the Hulk like you’ve never seen him before: unleashed, unapologetic and totally awesome."

The mystery behind the new Hulk’s identity has been revealed! But what has happened to the original Hulk, Bruce Banner in the previous eight months? All will be revealed – and the answers will surprise you! But one thing is for certain – Amadeus Cho is a completely different kind of Hulk. Not tormented, not conflicted. Just a giant green wrecking machine who loves being the Hulk! What could possibly go wrong?

“Come December, the one true Hulk will be a 19-year-old Korean-America “Boy Genius” who is going to carry the burden of being the Hulk like it weighs a feather,” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “He's going to love every minute of it.  In this new series, we are going to lean hard into the fantasy aspects of being the Hulk.  It can’t be all bad, can it?”

“We ain’t kidding – this is an all-new Hulk,” says writer Greg Pak in an upcoming interview with Marvel.com. “We’re breaking new ground here – no return to established personalities of the past. But what’s going on is indeed grounded in the history of the character and will delve into the central themes of the Hulk in exhilarating new ways.”

Big heart, big action and high stakes await as Amadeus Cho embarks on his first gamma-fueled adventure! Believe us, you’ve never seen a Hulk like this before – and it’s TOTALLY AWESOME. Be there as the Hulk’s exciting journey begins this December in the bombastic debut of TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #1!

This looks interesting, but I don't know if it's interesting enough to get me to follow a Hulk book.

BTW, does gamma radiation actually kill anyone?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

THE VISION #2

Writer: TOM KING

Art: GABRIEL HERNANDEZ WALTA

Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Variant by TULA LOTAY

Marvel ‘92 Variant: DALE KEOWN

• After the stunning, heart-stopping events of Vision #1, the Avengers will never be the same.

• The Vision and his family attempt to cope with these events in their own, unique way. Though they put on a happy face, each of them can feel their anger growing, blistering, tearing them apart.

• Will the Visions be able to hold together, or will that anger destroy them and the world around them?

That really was a shocking first issue. I was afraid it would be another sappy Pinocchio story, but it took a savage turn. And we still don't know where the extra Visions came from!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OTHER PUBLISHERS

21ST CENTURY TANK GIRL COLLECTION

1936735573?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Story: ALAN MARTIN

Art: JAMIE HEWLETT, WARWICK JOHNSON-CADWELL, PHILIP BOND, JIM MAHFOOD, JONATHAN EDWARDS, CRAIG KNOWLES, BRETT PARSON   

Cover: JAMIE HEWLETT  

112 pages / $22.99

MAKE WAY FOR THE TANK GIRL OF THE NEW MILLENIUM!

After a break of 20 years, artist extraordinaire Jamie Hewlett (GORILLAZ) is leaping back on the Tank Girl wagon, re-teaming with series co-creator Alan Martin to bring you a whole new take on the foul-mouthed, gun toting, swill-swigging hellion!

Featuring riotous 100% original content from Hewlett & Martin along with contributions from a host of series stalwarts and newcomers, get your head down, put your hands over your private parts, and prepare for a chaotic collection of strips, pin-ups, and random carnage!

Collects 21st Century Tank Girl #1-3.

I finally figured out that I really am too old for Tank Girl, but somebody like my musician nephew would love it. So if there's an anarchistic Millennial in your circle, point them to Tank Girl!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

ACTIONVERSE #0

1936737529?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writers: VITO DELSANTE/RAY-ANTHONY HEIGHT/JAMAL IGLE/SEAN IZAAKSE

Art: RAY-ANTHONY HEIGHT/SEAN IZAAKSE

Color: NATE LOVETT

32 pages / Teen / FC / $3.99 (reg.)

IT ALL STARTS HERE! Be a part of the largest creator owned crossover that the Publishing world has ever seen. No Publisher has ever dared, let alone successfully brought together the creative minds and properties of over 20 different creators together to create one single and unified  Actionverse. Before  the main Actionverse story begins, learn about the ties that bind! Molly Danger: pint-sized powerhouse! Midnight Tiger: teen superhero supreme! Stray: the prodigal hero! How are they connected, and how does the villainous Hyena fit in? You do not want to miss this!

Action Lab combines its three superheroes into a single universe. Um, surprise?

ALIENS / VAMPIRELLA #4 (OF 6)

1936737580?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writer: CORINNA BECHKO

Art: JAVIER GARCIA-MIRANDA

Cover: GABRIEL HARDMAN

$3.99 / Teen + / 32 pages

The action intensifies as Vampirella discovers an unlikely ally, but is it already too late to save the human Martian colony? With a supply ship ready to dock and the alien threat growing, Vampirella fears that even the Earth is in danger.

I've been enjoying this all along, and now Bechko has kicked the problems/danger up a notch. Good stuff.

ALPHA (HC)

1936739736?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: KNOCKABOUT COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JENS HARDER

$53.99

Alpha is the first in a trilogy covering the world and mankind's evolution. Jens Harder takes the reader on an operatic journey from the beginning with the nano-seconds following the Big Bang through the next 14 billion years. We see our infant universe as it rapidly expands, formed by black holes belonging to other universes. He uses a cinematic style to show ever step, to take readers through the formation of our solar system and the Earth itself, charting the long course of biological evolution.

Kinda looks like Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe, only with better art, which is  interesting. Let's hope the folks who don't believe in evolution don't hear about it, though.

BLOODY MARY VOL 1 (GN)

1936741374?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: AKAZA SAMAMIYA

Teen / $9.99

Mary is not your typical vampire. He can withstand sunlight, holds a reflection in mirrors, refuses to drink blood -- and he wants 17-year-old high school student-slash-priest Maria to kill him. In order to do so, Maria must uncover the Power of Exorcism, which is supposed to have been passed down through his bloodline. But while searching for insight into the Power, Maria suspects someone might be sabotaging his efforts.

I don't understand why the names are female, but the pronouns are male, and the images seem to be of one male and one female. Is this a gender-bending manga category I don't know (again)? Paging the Baron!

DOC SAVAGE: THE SPIDER'S WEB #1

1936743578?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936745586?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936746366?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936748425?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CHRIS ROBERSON

Art: CEZAR RABEK

Cover A: WILFREDO TORRES

Cover B Subscription: MARC LAMING

Cover C Blank Authentix

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce that the legendary action hero will return in an all-new storyline, debuting in December with Doc Savage: The Spider's Web #1. Chris Roberson (iZombie, Hellboy), who previously scribed Dynamite's Doc Savage: Man of Bronze series, returns for the hero's brand new adventure, joined by interior artist Cezar Razek (Red Sonja: The Black Tower).

In Doc Savage: The Spider's Web, the intrepid explorer and scientist (alongside his trusted team) responds to a devastating earthquake in South America, only to discover that the disaster was no accident ... and it seems to be linked to a menace that Doc faced many years before! As his investigation begins, Doc finds that a number of closed cases that he had considered to be isolated threats were in fact part of a larger web that he never suspected before now.

Writer Chris Roberson says, "Working on Doc Savage has been a childhood dream come true. In our previous mini-series Man of Bronze, we laid out a decades' long career for Doc, one that remained faithful to Lester Dent's original vision of the characters in the 30s and 40s, but that also bridged the gap from the pulp era to the modern day. With The Spider's Web, we're able to use that long history as backdrop, and to tell several different stand-alone adventures that combine into a larger story."

Readers were first introduced to the pulp action of Doc Savage in 1933, courtesy of Doc Savage Magazine by Street and Smith Publications. His adventures have appeared regularly in a variety of media (including novels, comic books, radio serials and film) over the 80 years since the character's inception. Raised from the cradle to be the pinnacle of mental and physical perfection, Clark Savage Jr. travels the world using science and sinews to right wrongs, aid the oppressed and liberate the innocent. With his team of able associates at their headquarters high atop the tallest building in the world, he is tireless in his pursuit of knowledge and justice."

Dynamite will celebrate the debut of Doc Savage: The Spider's Web with several cover options, allowing retailers and comic fans to satisfy their particular pulp action tastes. Wilfredo Torres (Batman '66, Lobster Johnson) provides Cover A for the first issue, while Marc Laming (Planet Hulk, All-New Invaders) provides Cover B. A "Blank Authentix" edition will also be made available, featuring a blank cover perfect for aspiring artists, convention guests, etc. Finally, Dynamite will create rare incentive variants and high-end collectible editions available through qualifying retailers: Black-and-White and Virgin Art editions by Wilfredo Torres, and a Black-and-White edition by Marc Laming.

I want Doc Savage to work, but I don't think he can in his original incarnation.

I think today's audiences are too sophisticated for elements like the "feud" between Ham and Monk, which is -- 80 years later -- hokey and cliched. And the other three members of the team are just a collection of quirks that used to pass for characterization, but won't pass muster these days. In short, I think Doc needs an upgrade, whereas close fidelity to its original incarnation is doomed to fail time and again. I do think, though, that he should stay in his original time period, just with better characterization and a more plausible modus operandi.

Of course, I could be wrong.

FOOD WARS SHOKUGEKI NO SOMA VOL 9 (GN)

1936748350?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer: YUTO TSUKUDA

Art/Cover: SHUN SAEKI

Teen+ / $9.99

The Fall Classic finals have begun, with the theme of the first round being bento boxes. It's a battle of the egos as Soma clashes with Alice Nakiri. Her bento gets rave reviews from the strict judges, but Soma invents a boxed lunch unlike one anyone's ever seen! Then, no sooner does the first round end than the second begins!

I am genuinely baffled by the existence of food-based entertainment. No wonder we have an obesity epidemic.

GRADUATE #1

1936750283?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: OVERGROUND COMICS

Writer: JON HUGHES

Art/Cover: CELIA CALLE

$3.99

Does having great power always have to mean accepting great responsibility? Natalie Worthy wants to be normal, but when the rest of the world finds out that she is invincible, her privacy and her sanity may be lost to her forever!

This isn't all that original a premise, but with good execution it could be good. Still, does anyone, anywhere think that cover art is attractive? Or am I just too narrow in my taste?

GRIEVOUS JOURNEY OF ICHABOD AZRAEL (TPB)

1936752794?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: REBELLION / 2000AD

Writers: DOM REARDON & VARIOUS

Art: DOM REARDON, DOM REARDON

$23.99

His name was Ichabod and he was a killer. But his death was only the beginning of his story. Ichabod Azrael was the deadliest, meanest outlaw the Old West ever spat out -- but his murder at the hands of hired guns takes him on a journey through the underworld as he desperately tries to return to the land of the living, and his true love Zoe, but he is haunted by the dead he left in his wake!

If this crossed over with East Meets West and Pretty Deadly, it might cause the collapse of the space/time continuum.

GRIMJACK OMNIBUS (TPB)

1936754915?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: COMICMIX

Writer: JOHN OSTRANDER

Art/Cover: TIMOTHY TRUMAN

$39.99

This new edition collects the stories of the original grim and gritty hard-boiled barbarian from Starslayer issues #10-17 and GrimJack issues #1-13, as originally published by First Comics between 1983 and 1985. Featuring the writer of Suicide Squad and Star Wars with the artist of Conan and King Thor. These are the tales that introduced John Gaunt, GrimJack, to the graphic story pantheon. A mercenary in Cynosure, Gaunt rents out his sword-for-hire to clients -- some good, some bad, some only out for themselves -- from a multitude of dimensions.

This was one of my favorite series during the indie explosion of the 1980s, and I think this was the book that made me a fan of both John Ostrander and Tim Truman. I don't know if it holds up, but I sure have fond memories of the First Comics days.

HIP HOP FAMILY TREE #4

1936754994?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art: ED PISKOR

$3.99

The best-seller is action packed in this issue. Rap battles will never be the same after Kool Moe Dee gets done with Busy Bee Starski in their legendary confrontation. Blondies "Rapture" plays on the first day's broadcast of a new channel called MTV. Grandmaster Flash and other rap groups get seduced by Sugar Hill Records.

I guess if you have a book with a lot of characters, a Giant-Size X-Men #1 homage is irresistible.

INK BRICK #1

1936759493?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: ALTERNATIVE COMICS

Art: JOHN HANKIEWICZ & VARIOUS

Cover: PAUL K. TUNIS

$8.00

What is comics poetry? A new generation of cartoonists is answering just that, and pushing comics' expressive potential in the process. Ink Brick is a biannual journal showcasing the best of the hybrid form, and this debut issue features full-color work from eight creators.

What rough beast is this, its hour come round at last, slouching toward Bethlehem?

OK, that's pretty much the only poem I know, other than dirty limericks.

JAMES BOND #2

1936760860?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936761005?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936761046?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936761163?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936761300?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: WARREN ELLIS

Art: JASON MASTERS

Cover A: DOM REARDON

James Bond is in Berlin, alone, unarmed and with no idea of the forces ranged in secret against him. If he can make it to the Embassy, he might survive for a few hours more. But he's getting into that car with that woman, which means he has only minutes to live...

This book is strong enough for Jeff of Earth-J to launch a thread on it, so it's strong enough for me to remind everyone that issue #2 is out!

For my part, the first two issues have presented a James Bond who is both recognizable and watchable. The trademark Ellis imagination (and weirdness) has yet to make an appearance, but I think it inevitable.

KOMOMO CONFISERIE VOL 2 (GN)

1936763135?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: MAKI MINAMI

$9.99

As a little girl, Komomo Ninomiya delighted in picking on Natsu Azumi, the son of her family's pastry chef. Ten years later, when the family fortune is lost and she has no place to live, Komomo encounters Natsu again in her hour of need. Now that Natsu is a master pastry chef in his own right, he'll help Komomo--but only if she works for him at his new confiserie!

Oh no! Not a common confiserie! What will the neighbors say?

Seriously. Food comics. WTF.

THE QUEST FOR THE TIME BIRD (HC)

1936763310?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: SERGE LE TENDRE

Artist: REGIS LOISEL

232 pages, $39.99

The world of Akbar is in grave danger; Ramor, the cursed god, is about to be set free and spread unending chaos! The witch Mara can bind him to his prison, a conch shell, but she needs something special … the legendary Time Bird. She charges her daughter, Pelisse, with enlisting the help of the ageing warrior Bragon, and together they set out on a quest to save the world! But all is not as it seems – Bragon is an old flame of Mara’s and Pelisse has never met her father… With a fantastical twist, The Quest of the Time Bird is an epic journey through a magical realm of monsters, mysticism and mayhem.

Titan graciously sent me a review copy of this, which arrived in the mail today (Saturday, Nov. 28), the same day I'm posting this Guide. So, obviously, I won't have time to review it. But I have to say I really dig the art, which you can sample in the preview they sent me. (Linked below.)

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT #1 (OF 4)

1936764820?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writer: ANDE PARKS

Art: ESTEVE POLLS

Cover: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

$3.99 / Teen+ / 32 pages

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce that Ande Parks and Esteve Polls, the acclaimed creative team of The Death of Zorro and The Lone Ranger, will reunite for an all-new comic book series, Seduction of the Innocent. Gritty and sometimes depraved crime fiction in the tradition of James Elroy and EC-era crime and horror comics, the series will debut in December 2015 with cover artwork by Eisner Award-winning artist Francesco Francavilla (Afterlife with Archie).

Set in the San Francisco of 1953, Seduction of the Innocent introduces Thomas Jennings, an FBI agent who has just arrived in the city, fresh-faced and ready to tackle crime in the big city … or so he thinks. In fact, Jennings is not nearly prepared for what he's about to encounter. The city's crime lords are being systematically murdered, and the killers waiting to fill the void are the pure stuff of Jennings' nightmares. Jennings will be forced to question every belief he holds dear to protect his wife and unborn child from the madness.

Writer Ande Parks says, "The story is, at its core, about loss of innocence. It's about seduction, but not sexual seduction. It's about the seduction of violence and power. It's about a good man struggling to hold onto the values that have always defined him as he battles things so evil that he can't really comprehend them. This is not a story that clings to the status quo. People change in the course of our arc. They die and lose things that can never be recovered."

"I love period crime fiction, enshrouded in fog and bad intention," adds Parks. "Our story is told in a modern style, but it is rooted in crime fiction of the past: Jim Thompson and the True Crime comics of the fifties. We were lucky enough to get Francesco Francavilla to do covers that pay homage to the amazing Johnny Craig EC covers, with severed heads, bloody axes, and so on -- all the glorious stuff that got Dr. Fredric Wertham in an uproar. Also, I get to work with Esteve Polls again, with whom I did a 25-issue run on The Long Ranger that I'm very proud of. He's great at atmosphere, and our crime story has plenty for him to draw."

Regarding the setting, Parks says, "Throughout the series, we try to use San Francisco's most interesting and iconic features as set pieces. The Wharf, the Japanese Tea Garden, Chinatown, the Redwood Forest, etc. I didn't get us to Alcatraz… maybe down the line somewhere. Anyway, I love the city, and I think it's full of unique settings for our characters to move around -- and kill each other -- in."

It warms my heart that this book exists -- and I hope the ghost of Fredrik Wertham is chilled.

SHOWMAN KILLER: HEARTLESS HERO

1936766851?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY

Artist: NICOLAS FRUCTUS

56 pages / $15.99

December sees a new edition from the visionary writer/filmmaker of The Incal and Holy Mountain who Kanye West called, "A prophet of creativity ... one of the most inspiring artists of our time."

Titan Comics are thrilled to announce their publication of Alejandro Jodorowsky's Showman Killer: Heartless Hero, coming this November. Telling the story of the titular assassin, the tale is full of the world-renowned writer/directors' trademark esoteric flair and uncompromising vision.

Space is a dangerous place, made more so by the existence of the Showman Killer, a heartless assassin, genetically engineered by an insane scientist to be devoid of any emotion, and trained to kill!

The only things that give him anything approaching pleasure are destruction or money. That is, until a fateful mission throws him into the path of the mysterious and fascinating Ibis.

Showman Killer is the latest in Titan's range of high quality European graphic novels, joining previous Jodorowsky collection Royal Blood.

"Showman Killer features Jodorowsky's imagination let loose in a witty, elegant and thrill-filled outer -space adventure," said Group editor Lizzie Kaye!

A review copy of this arrived today as well, Again, no time for a review, but Jodorowsky has a good track record.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

A TRAIN CALLED LOVE #3 (OF 10)

1936769151?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Art: MARK DOS SANTOS

Cover A: RUSS BRAUN

$3.99 / Mature / 32 pages

Call-me-Dave meets his all-time hero, a he-man action star who may not quite be all he seems. Marv and Penny sit down for a particularly fateful brunch, while Myles tells Valerie how he ended up in the employ of the dastardly Mister Monsta. Meanwhile, Jev's new girlfriend turns out to be just a little too good to be true ... part three of A Train Called Love, by Garth Ennis and Mark Dos Santos.

I need to catch up on this, so that I can see if it's as good as it ought to be.

X-O MANOWAR: COMMANDER TRILL #0

1936771174?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936773175?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936775132?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by FRANCIS PORTELA

Cover A by PHIL JIMENEZ

Cover B by CARY NORD

Wraparound Gatefold Variant by DAVID LAFUENTE

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

Valiant is proud to announce X-O MANOWAR: COMMANDER TRILL #0 – a special jumping-on point for Valiant’s flagship series from New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR) and rising star Francis Portela (Green Lantern)! This December, return to the roots of the Vine's brutal alien empire to discover the beginnings of X-O Manowar’s dark nemesis and one of the Valiant Universe's most formidable villains – the cold and calculating Commander Trill!

From Aric of Dacia’s escape with the X-O Manowar armor to the destruction of his own home world, pain and consequence have haunted the life of the alien general called Commander Trill. Now, on the eve of the most devastating assault yet, find out why with an essential, standalone zero issue detailing the battle-scarred life and origin of the Vine’s mightiest military leader ... and an all-new prelude to X-O Manowar’s most terrifying clash of the year!

“Since the very first issue, Commander Trill has been a central piece of the X-O MANOWAR mythology and now, for the very first time, we’re going to see just how deep his influence truly runs,” said series editor Tom Brennan. “From Master Darque to Toyo Harada to the Immortal Enemy, Valiant’s antagonists are just as compelling as its heroes. Trill is no exception and his long-awaited origin story will not only reveal a tale that Robert Venditti has been building towards for years, but will also pave the way for the epic shake-ups leading into X-O MANOWAR’s milestone 50th issue in the new year.”

Featuring covers by blockbuster artists Phil Jimenez (Infinite Crisis), Cary Nord (X-O MANOWAR), and David Lafuente (Ultimate Spider-Man), be here this December as Robert Venditti and Francis Portela chronicle the beginning of Commander Trill’s shattered destiny with an all-new one-shot introduction to the many worlds – and many foes – of Valiant’s most powerful hero, only in X-O MANOWAR: COMMANDER TRILL #0!

Then, Commander Trill’s attack on the Valiant Universe erupts in  X-O MANOWAR #43 for THE KILL LIST! After years of planning, Trill hatches his final endgame against Earth and Aric of Dacia. With humanity caught in Trill’s crosshairs, X-O Manowar must turn to his enemy-turned-ally—the deadly MI6 operative Ninjak—to quell the Vine leader's covert assault! The all-new, pulse-pounding arc begins this January, only in X-O MANOWAR #43!

And I am definitely reading this one.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

• That *is* some really gorgeous art for Quest for the Time Bird. I'll keep an eye out for it!

• The feature is a successful French language series, La Quête de l'oiseau du temps. Wikipedia's English page on it is here. (The French one is longer and has different links.) I think this volume must be a collection of vols 1-4, the whole original story 

• As it happens, I have Harvey Kurtzman's Jungle Book. Here's the back cover copy:

Angry Young Man     Exurbanite

Beatnik     Organisation Man

Thinking Man     Smoking Man

Asphalt Jungle!     Blackboard Jungle!

Wall St. Jungle!     Kindergarten Jungle!

Jungle Jungle!

Naturally you're confused!

With all those labels floating around, who wouldn't be dizzy?

Fortunately you can do something about it.

Harvey Kurtzman's Jungle Book has the answers to your questions.

Harvey Kurtzman's Jungle Book brings you secrets of self-knowledge hidden since Ancient Times (about 1930). In our complex modern society, Harvey Kurtzman's Jungle Book can help you find the place where you belong - in the jungle!

ABOUT HARVEY KURTZMAN:

For many years Harvey Kurtzman was just as confused as you are. He thought the idea was to make people happy, and he started many magazines (MAD, TRUMP, HUMBUG) in this misguided endeavour. Now Kurtzman knows better. Now he wants other things ("Ripe bananas ... plenty coconuts"). Every morning now he gets up at dawn and runs up to the attic to think. When he has a good thought he runs over to the window and breathes deeply. Then he gives his Tarzan cry and goes looping off through the trees.

• The four stories are satires of different genres. They are

"Theolonius Violence Like Private Eye" (hip private eyes e.g. Peter Gunn; Theolonius Monk was a jazz musician)

"The Organization Man In the Grey Flannel Executive Suite" (the corporation life genre; there was a book on management called The Organization Man and a novel and movie called The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit)

"Compulsion on the Range" (Westerns and psychoanalysis stories; its protagonist, Marshall Matt Dollin, is named after Matt Dillon from Gunsmoke and drawn to look like James Arness) 

"Decadence Degenerated" (small town melodramas/lynching stories)

• BOY COMMANDOS BY SIMON AND KIRBY VOL 2 (HC)

Yeeeesssss! I was afraid that one volume was all we were gonna get.

I believe the volume contains the majority of the remaining stories done before Kirby entered the army. The GCD lists a few of the stories in the volume as having art by Joe Simon or only inks by Kirby. 

According to the GCD Kirby had three stories in Boy Commandos #6 and possibly did the layouts for the story in World's Finest Comics #14. There are also couple of Detective Comics stories from 1944 and 1945 it tentatively ascribes to Kirby. Otherwise, aside from Boy Commandos covers, he returned to the feature after the war.(1)

The GCD ascribes the Detective Comics #84 story to Joe Samachson (tentatively) and Louis Cazeneuve, which is presumably why the volume skips it. My guess is the plan is to do a third volume with the few remaining Kirby wartime stories and Kirby's post-war ones.

(1) Crazy-Quilt debuted in a Kirby-drawn story in Boy Commandos #15 and fought the team several more times. He became a Bat-foe through his use in the Robin story in Star Spangled Comics #123, which was reprinted in the 70s in Batman #255. The Robin story mentions that he had formerly fought the Boy Commandos. From 1951, it appeared just over two years after the last issue of Boy Commandos.

Jan was written out when the team demobilised in Detective Comics #110 and Alfy was replaced by Tex in Detective Comics #124. DC Indexes has synopsis. Both stories were drawn by Curt Swan, who drew a fair number of the post-war stories.

• Curt Swan on Boy Commandos?!?? Can such a thing be? Must see!

• I think it was his first series. The GCD also attributes a few Newsboy Legion stories to him.

He also drew "Tommy Tomorrow" for a while.

• Males with female names and females with male names is a thing in Japanese comics, yes.

Why not food comics? Why not comics on any subject people are interested in?

• It's funny -- while the idea of food comics seems a little weird, one of the few mangas I've dipped my toe into has been Iron Wok Jan -- a high-energy food competition manga. It was a lot of fun, but somewhere I lost track of it.

This reply was deleted.