Comics Guide for Jan. 13, 2016

DARK HORSE

ALABASTER: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE BIRD #2 (OF 5)

Writer: CAITLÍN R. KIERNAN

Art: DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON

Colors: CARLOS BADILLA

Cover: GREG RUTH

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

“Kiernan is the poet and the bard of the wasted and the lost.”—Neil Gaiman

Our deadly, psychotic, bloodthirsty hero is dead. Who will save us now?

Maisie makes a meager living conning the bereaved, even as she still mourns the loss of her friend and lover Dancy. But a pair of twisted bounty-hunting twins are planning to enact a mysterious occult ritual, and Maisie may soon find herself confronting a ghost from her own past.

Winner of the Bram Stoker Award! 

“Raw and powerful, the characters are dynamic, with brilliant artwork.”—Bloody Disgusting

Even though I didn't read the first Alabaster series, I was really impressed with the first issue of this one, which opened with the titular character dead and in some sort of white hell, and having an interesting philosophical argument with someone (possibly herself). Meanwhile, back on earth, the ramifications of her actions were still rolling out (especially on her girlfriend), and a pair of strange, creepy women were bargaining to get her unearthly weapon from a strange, creepy guy. That was pretty cool.

This second issue, though, had the reverse effect on me. It's mostly about the dead protagonist's girlfriend, who has a bird she talks to and makes a living as a phony spiritualist. This was, in a word, boring. The creepy girls showed up for one page, and it turns out they're incestuous lesbian twins, who have sex with blood all over their mouths (?) which should be creepy but instead -- possibly due to my impatient boredom -- felt forced.

I'll give this a third issue, to see if these two foci -- which almost seem to be from different series -- come together in a way that feels organic and interesting.

LEAVING MEGALOPOLIS: SURVIVING MEGALOPOLIS #1

Writer: GAIL SIMONE

Art/Cover: J. CALAFIORE

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

When you escape from a city full of superheroes turned evil, what could possibly compel you to go back? This January, the critically acclaimed team behind the original graphic novel phenomenon Leaving Megalopolis returns to the city in ruins with an answer!

The  Kickstarter phenomenon returns! Fan-favorite creators Gail Simone (Batgirl, Deadpool) and J. Calafiore (Secret Six, Exiles) return to the town whose citizens are hunted—not by villains, but by heroes! The survivors of Megalopolis reluctantly go back to the city—still under the control of formerly beloved superheroes turned brutal killers—on a rescue mission straight into the heart of madness. Get in on the ground floor of this critically acclaimed series and see what happens when the good guys go very, very bad.

“We were really excited about the idea and the world and how everything was coming together and we were working together on this, where really there was no holds barred on the content,” Gail Simone told Comic Book Resources. “It was just really an exciting project to work on. As we built the world out more and more, I think both of us were really hoping that we’d have the opportunity to continue on and tell lots more stories.”

"If this first volume is any indication, Simone and Calafiore both have a bright future, full of the guts and glory we’ve all come to love from them, in creator-owned comics. The sooner we get to see that future, the better.” —Comicosity

Here's another miniseries where I didn't read the first installment, but it's pretty easy to get the gist: All the Marvel/DC superhero analogs in a New York/Metropolis-type city have gone homicidally insane, and life is pretty hard for everyone else. (I don't believe a reason has been established yet.) Anyway, the story focuses on some peripheral characters (that I don't know), one a pregnant woman and a Batman type who's not crazy, along with a few pages to show just how twisted the ex-heroes are.

And it does a good job of it. You know Simone will deliver on the twisted stuff, and Calafiore is an artist whose super-people I always thought looked ugly -- so the art fits this story.

But I don't know the people I'm supposed to care about, and I've seen so many dystopic super-worlds (Bomb Queen, Earth-3, Empire, etc.) that even Simone can't get me too worked up about "Southern Belle" and "Amphibonaut." So, well done or not, I'm not sold on the premise. I'll give it one more issue to hook me.

REBELS #10

Writer: BRIAN WOOD

Art: TRISTAN JONES

Colors: JORDIE BELLAIRE

Cover: TULA LOTAY

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Ongoing

Fifty-six thousand British redcoats fought in the American Revolution. Meet one of them—and learn his tragic ten-year story, from the Boston Massacre to Kings Mountain, South Carolina. 

“There is nothing wrong with super powers and supernatural things but the break from the norm and the content of this book is refreshing.”—Comic Booked

So it's a hat trick: I'm not crazy about this one, either.

Which is a shame. I generally love this title. But this time around, it felt like Wood read somewhere that many English soldiers were forcibly recruited from the ranks of thieves, pickpockets and jailbirds, and didn't want to be in the Americas fighting a war they didn't give a fig about. So he wrote a story that showed us that -- and not much else. IOW, this issue felt like a plot summary instead of a story. Maybe it would have more impact if I had some sympathy for the venal, petty, amoral protagonist, but I don't.

Don't get me wrong -- I still love Rebels. This particular issue just didn't grab me.

DC COMICS

COLORING BOOK VARIANT COVERS

This week's crop includes Batman/Superman #28, Red Hood/Arsenal #8 and Starfire #8.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN: TRINITY DELUXE EDITION (HC)

Written by MATT WAGNER

Art and cover by MATT WAGNER

On sale JANUARY 13 • 208 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $29.99 US

Matt Wagner’s 3-issue epic that unites DC’s three greatest heroes is offered as a Deluxe Edition hardcover for the first time! When Ra’s al Ghul recruits Bizarro and a renegade Amazon warrior to help him create global chaos, the Dark Knight Detective suddenly finds himself working with the Man of Steel and the Amazon Princess. Looking to thwart the madman’s plot to simultaneously destroy all satellite communications as well as all of the world’s oil reserves, Earth’s greatest heroes are forced to band together—if they can work out their differences!

I usually like Matt Wagner, but I don't recall specifically if I enjoyed this series. If I don't remember hating it, I probably liked it OK.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS: EDGE OF OBLIVION #1 (of 6)

Written by TOM TAYLOR

Art and cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

1:25 Variant cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

On sale JANUARY 13 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US

RATED T

Picking up where GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY left off! As the universe around them reaches entropy, the Green Lantern Corps must find a way home! Along the way, they’ll face dying gods, worlds torn asunder and a desperate group of survivors whose only hope is these cosmic heroes.

So, Green Lantern: Lost Army was supposed to last 12 issues, and was canceled after six. Uproar and outrage ensued (I guess), so the last six issues will be published as Green Lantern: Edge of Oblivion. *shrug* At least they get two #1s out of it.

THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN #1

Written by RENAE DE LIZ

Art by RENAE DE LIZ and RAY DILLON

Cover by RENAE DE LIZ

1:25 Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

40 pg, FC, 1 of 9 $3.99 US • RATED T DIGITAL FIRST

A new WONDER WOMAN 9-issue miniseries begins here with a story written and pencilled by Renae De Liz (The Last Unicorn)! In the beginning there was only chaos. But Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons, saw a better future—and eventually, her daughter would be destined to bring that new world to life! Before her ultimate fate unfolds, though, Diana of Themyscira must learn the important lessons of an Amazonian childhood!

A new look at WW's origin, which seems to be blending a number of her previous origins -- at least as far as I can tell from the first issue.

LUCIFER #1 SPECIAL EDITION

Written by MIKE CAREY

Art by CHRIS WESTON and JAMES HODGKINS

Cover by DUNCAN FEGREDO

32 pg, FC, $1.00 US • MATURE READERS

Reprinting the first issue of the hit series for just $1.00! When Lucifer Morningstar asked Dream of the Endless to sever his wings so he could walk among mortals, the former Lord of Hell thought he was making the right decision. But managing a piano bar in L.A. has lost its charm, and now the darkest star in the City of Angels is ready to get back in the game. Only this time he’d rather play God.

Yes, this is the first issue of the original Lucifer series, from the ancient year 2000. I guess they're trying to drum up interest, what with the Lucifer TV series in the pipeline. (And I just can't wait to see what groups like "One Million Moms" and "Family Research Council" will have to say about that!)

ROBIN WAR #2

Written by TOM KING

Art and cover by KHARY RANDOLPH

1:25 Variant cover by LEE BERMEJO

On sale JANUARY 6 • 48 pg, FC, 2 of 2, $4.99 US • RATED T

The stunning conclusion to the “Robin War” is here!

As we've mentioned before, this cover design has become sorta standard. (See Secret Avengers example top right.)

Incidentally, none of the Robins have any sort of defense against the incoming arrows or darts or whatever they are -- one guy is holding up a nightstick -- so they should all be dead very shortly. That's OK. Batman can make more.IDW PUBLISHING

GUTTER MAGIC #1 (OF 4)

Writer: DOUEK

Art/Cover: BARKLEY

$3.99

Cinder Byrnes has been trying to lie, cheat and steal his way into wizardry his entire life, and he's finally got the key to unlocking the power of magic. But first, he needs to stay one step ahead of the sorcerous crime lord that wants him dead. Writer Rich Douek and Artist Brett Barkley present an action-packed urban fantasy tale, set in a modern New York City where World War II was fought with magic.

Another interesting entry into the First Issue Sweepstakes. World War II fought with magic? My brain refuses to wrap around that. The Soviet "Night Witches" are really witches? German Panzers are really giant panthers? Navy SEALs are ... Oh, this is silly.

IMAGE COMICS

INJECTION #6

Writer: WARREN ELLIS

Art/Covers: A & B:  DECLAN SHALVEY & JORDIE BELLAIRE

24 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

Award-winning writer Warren Ellis (TREES, SUPREME: BLUE ROSE, Moon Knight), award-winning artist Declan Shalvey (Moon Knight, Deadpool), and award-winning colorist Jordie Bellaire (PRETTY DEADLY, NOWHERE MEN) will launch a new story arc in their ongoing genre-defying series INJECTION this January.

Previously in INJECTION, five geniuses poisoned the 21st century, and then scrambled to save the world from a terminal case of weird.

INJECTION #6 opens in New York, where consulting detective Vivek Headland takes on a case that quickly invokes a murderous sandwich.

“Injection #6 begins a new five-part volume. Volume 1 was largely about Professor Maria Kilbride dealing with ancient supernatural horrors. Starting here, Volume 2 is mostly about consulting detective Vivek Headland in New York City, dealing with the mysterious theft of a ghost. And also human ham,” said Ellis. “Eventually, the entire Injection team, the five eccentric geniuses of the old Cultural Cross-Contamination Unit, will be involved in a weird crime story that may also explain more about the Injection itself—the haunted artificial intelligence committing horrors in the dark.”

“With the focus of Injection shifting to Vivek Headland in Volume 2, the scope of the story becomes much wider,” said Shalvey. “An unconventional mystery warrants Vivek's attention as some of the old team arrive in New York. If Volume 1 could be described as a strange sci-fi story, Volume 2 could be described as a strange crime story. Being Injection, of course, the emphasis is on strange.”

I'm not reading this series, but Image sent out a press release, so here you go.

LADY PENDRAGON VOL 1

Story: MATT HAWKINS

Art: RON ADRIAN, HECTOR GOMEZ, JOHN STINSMAN

Cover By: DREW STRUZMAN

160 PAGES / FC / T+ / $14.99

A classic from the Golden Age of Image Comics, collected in trade paperback for the first time! Pagan imagery and early Christianity clash across time in Matt Hawkins' acclaimed tale of medieval mayhem and transtemporal quests! In 541 AD, Guinevere, widow of King Arthur, attempts to unite the Britons under the banner of Excalibur and the Goddess. In 1999, her descendant, Jennifer Drake, unravels a mystery that could end the world -- unless she claims her birthright, and the sword Caliburn. Guinevere faces traitors on all sides, and Jennifer battles the wicked Mordred and Morgana -- can the righteousness of any god or goddess triumph over evil? COLLECTS LADY PENDRAGON VOL. 1 #1, LADY PENDRAGON VOL. 2 #0-3, AND COVER GALLERY.

I don't mind female leads, but you have to stretch the subtext of the Arthur legends pretty hard to have Guinevere (or Lancelot, for that matter) wield Excalibur/Caliburn. Nice cover, though.

THE SPREAD #12

Story: JUSTIN JORDAN

Art: JEN HICKMAN & FELIPE SOBREIRO

Cover A: KYLE STRAHM & FELIPE SOBREIRO

Cover B: CAMILA TORRANO

Cover C: MICHAEL ADAMS & KYLE STRAHM

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

New story arc: Issue #12 is a standalone issue, featuring art by Jen Hickman

Writer Justin Jordan (LUTHER STRODE) and special guest artist Jen Hickman (The Dead) will launch a special stand-alone issue in the ongoing horror series SPREAD this January.

Previously in SPREAD, a man named No found an orphaned baby named Hope. Hope is the key to stopping The Spread—the gruesome cancerous growth of monsters that’s brought civilization to a grinding halt—but not everyone sees her as a savior. The key to keeping Hope alive has been Molly, a crazy survivor with an unknown background.

In SPREAD #12, Molly’s story is told.

“The world of Spread is a bad one, and Molly's story reflects this,” said Jordan. “This was probably one of the hardest scripts I ever wrote, and I really hope I did justice to the story.”

“When Justin sent me the script for the issue, he noted that this one was ‘fairly brutal’ and that made me pause. If Justin Jordan, of all people, wanted to preface a script like that, what exactly was lurking in the pages?” said Hickman. “I mean you'll have to read for yourself, but he was spot on. This issue cuts deep. I was like 3/4 through the issue and about 30 seconds from crying. I hope that I've succeeded in imparting even a fraction of the ‘fairly brutal’ emotion in the script. Basically, I hope you cry. Read Spread. It's super awesome.”

Again, not reading this series, but here's a press release.

THE WALKING DEAD #150

Writer: ROBERT KIRKMAN

Art: CHARLIE ADLARD, STEFANO GAUDIANO & CLIFF RATHBURN

Cover A: CHARLIE ADLARD & DAVE STEWART

Cover B: Sketch Variant

Cover C: JASON LATOUR

Cover D: TONY MOORE

Cover E: RYAN OTTLEY

Cover F Retail Appreciation Cover: CHARLIE ADLARD

40 PAGES / BW / M / $2.99

SPECIAL EXTRA-SIZED ANNIVERSARY ISSUE -- 40 PAGES FOR ONLY $2.99! 

In our 150th issue, Rick Grimes finds himself ...  BETRAYED.

Participating retailers who meet the minimum of zilch orders will receive one free variant featuring art by series artist, Charlie Adlard.

This very special Retailer Appreciation variant will be a black and white version of Adlard’s Cover A and will grace the cover of the landmark, anniversary issue of THE WALKING DEAD, which will feature 30 pages of pulse-pounding story for only $2.99.

Honestly, I kinda wandered off from Walking Dead after Glenn was killed. Not because a favorite character was killed -- hey, it's The Walking Dead -- but how he was killed. As I've mentioned too often, Negan monologued at the time that a major character had to die because none of Rick's lieutenants had died recently, and implied that he knew it was an anniversary issue --- things he couldn't have known and didn't make story sense any way. (What would have made story sense is if he killed all of Rick's crew while he had them at his mercy, effectively decapitating the opposition.) I felt like Robert Kirkman had taken over the character, broken the fourth wall, and explained to the reader that Glenn (and only Glenn) needed to die because the writer needed a cheap shock for the 100th issue. It destroyed my suspension of disbelief, and moreover, left a bad taste in my mouth.

So now I've got two TWD HCs I haven't even read yet! Don't worry, I'll get over my snit eventually and catch up. But just reading the blurb above makes me uneasy. If Maggie is the betrayer -- one of the few remaining characters I'm invested in -- I may just give up on this series.

MARVEL COMICS

AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM

Art by GERMAN PERALTA

Cover by MIKE NORTON

Variant Cover by DAN PANOSIAN

Hip-Hop Variant by DAVE JOHNSON

MAOS Variant by JIM CHEUNG

Deadpool Variant by MARK BAGLEY

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

Coulson and his team step out of the shadows and into the light as the Marvel Universe’s crack team of spies re-assembles for AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 – a blockbuster new ongoing series! Series writer Marc Guggenheim (Arrow Executive Producer, X-Men) and artist German Peralta (Moon Knight) weave a tale of espionage, action, intrigue, and danger in an in-continuity series inspired by the hit television show Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.! Coulson and his team – May, Fitz, Simmons, Deathlok, Mockingbird and Quake bring the brains and brawn to tackle any situation the Marvel Universe can throw at them. But have they met their match when a dark secret from Coulson’s past threatens to tear S.H.I.E.L.D. apart from the inside? What exactly are the “Coulson Protocols”? And what is Iron Man doing there? Those answers and more lie inside the bombastic debut of AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #1!

Is it my imagination, or is there a TV series with a very similar premise?

HOUSE OF M: WARZONES! (TPB)

Written by DENNIS HOPELESS, CULLEN BUNN & BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Penciled by MARCO FAILLA, ARIO ANINDITO & OLIVIER COIPEL

Cover by KRIS ANKA

In the Battleworld zone known as the THE MONARCHY OF M, Lord Magnus and his family control all, having crushed all resistance to their reign. Magneto rules with an iron fist, while his children and grandchildren live their lives as royals — with all the privileges and pitfalls that come with that title. But is Magneto’s control as all-encompassing as it seems? And what happens to a conqueror when there’s no one left to conquer? As royal intrigue begins to build to a head, Quicksilver and Namor may have something sinister planned for Magneto’s kingdom. Is the heir apparent to the House of Magnus a traitor?! Plus: Look back at the creation of the original House of M as the Avengers and X-Men clash over the fate of the Scarlet Witch! Collecting HOUSE OF M (2015) #1-4 and HOUSE OF M (2005) #1.

120 PGS./Rated T+ …$15.99

House of M

Here's what Legionnaires said:

WANDERING SENSEI

Issue #1: "Magneto gets a little resistance to his rule from the "human quarter" of Genosha. Other than that, this story is primarily that of boredom and pettiness within the royal family. Lorna, Wanda and Pietro play the parts of the Kardashians from what I can tell. The resistance fighters (Hawkeye, Misty Knight and Mockingbird among others) get a little help from Deathlocket (hey! guess who wrote this issue?) and Pietro has some political maneuvering with Namor. This was a pretty good issue from Dennis Hopleless and Marco Fialla."

DETECTIVE 445

Issue #1: "At this point, there are quite a few Secret Wars books on the shelves and many of them feature some sort of political maneuvering or quest for power. House of M appears to be yet another story of this type.  The series is based in a reality in which the M Monarchy never ended and Magneto and his royal family continue to rule. I read a few of the House of M books back when they came out and this story seems to tap into elements of House of M: Avengers and maybe House of M: Civil War.  I can't say I'm crazy about Marco Failla's cartoony art style but it's not bad, just not my cup of tea.  I wasn't familiar with Dennis Hopeless prior to Inferno or House of M but his writing has yet to blow me away."

SECRET WARS #9

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art by ESAD RIBIC

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Variant Covers by SIMONE BIANCHI, SKOTTIE YOUNG, SARA PICHELLI and FRED HEMBECK

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

56 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

GENESIS!

It’s the story that has the whole world on the edge of its seat. The biggest Marvel event of all time. The story that destroyed the Marvel Universe. And if you thought it couldn’t get bigger – you thought wrong. Today Marvel is pleased to announce the expansion of the blockbuster Secret Wars event with SECRET WARS #9 – coming to comic shops later this year!

“Marvel fans can rest easy knowing that at long last SECRET WARS #9 is off to the printer, and will be in their hot little hands January 13th,” says Marvel SVP, Executive Editor Tom Brevoort. “I can say with some confidence that it’s a finale that no reader who’s been enjoying the ride so far will be disappointed in, and is in no way spoiled by any of the events that have transpired in our assorted All-New, All-Different Era titles so far. Don’t believe me? Well, you’ll just have to pick up a copy for yourself and see!”

“Apparently, Secret Wars is even bigger than we thought it was,” says Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “To help Jonathan and Esad conclude this epic event as big and bombastically as it started, we are adding an extra issue.  That means one more month of the suspense, action and game-changing storytelling that fans and retailers have been clamoring for since the final incursion started.”

Chartbusting creators Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic will extend their stay on Battleworld for one more epic issue. Allowing their cataclysmic story to wrap up as intended, this additional issue will bring Secret Wars to its explosive conclusion. Paving the way for the future, be there for the genesis of the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe.

“This extra issue will not affect any of the new launches as part of All-New, All-Different Marvel,“ says David Gabriel, Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing. “But there might be a surprise or two left over from Battleworld you weren’t expecting. In fact, like the original Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars, some of those puzzle pieces will hit the Marvel Universe before the event concludes. But if you want to see how they all fit together, you don’t want to miss these last few issues.

Battleworld teeters on the brink. What will become of this strange patchwork planet? Who lives? Who dies? One thing is for certain – nobody will come back from Battleworld the same after SECRET WARS #9 this December!

Will we get the answers we've been waiting for? Magic 8-Ball says "Unlikely." But we'll get an ending, and that's enough for me to buy the trade.

S.H.I.E.L.D.: SECRET HISTORY (TPB)

Written by KATHRYN IMMONEN, JODY HOUSER, DAVID F. WALKER, PATRICK KINDLON, CHELSEA CAIN,

MATTHEW ROSENBERG & STAN LEE

Penciled by RICH ELLIS, LUKE ROSS, JOELLE JONES, LEE FERGUSON, DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON & JACK KIRBY

Cover by MIKE DEODATO

176 PGS / Rated T+ / $29.99

Celebrate the 50th birthday of the world’s premier peacekeeping force with solo spotlights on its most secretive agents! Journey into the past and see Peggy Carter targeted by S.H.I.E.L.D.! Agent May makes like the cavalry when a training exercise goes wrong — while Mockingbird roars, rampages and seeks bloody satisfaction. Daisy “Skye” Johnson faces an Inhuman family reunion that will make you quake! And in a mission five decades in the making, the present-day Nick Fury teams up with his father — will they see eyepatch-to-eyepatch? Plus: the classic first appearance of Nick Fury Sr., as he fights Nazis alongside his World War II allies the Howling Commandos! Collecting AGENT CARTER: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1, AGENT MAY: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1, FURY: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1, MOCKINGBIRD: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1, QUAKE: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1, SGT. FURY AND HIS HOWLING COMMANDOS (1963) #1, BATTLE SCARS #6 and material from STRANGE TALES (1951) #135.

When I saw this title in the solicitations list, I assumed it was that secret history of S.H.I.E.L.D. that Jonathan Hickman wrote a while back, tracing the organization back to ancient Egypt. But what do you know, there's another secret history. I guess they were jealous of Hydra, which now has two or three distinct origins.

THIS WEEK'S DEADPOOL

Yeah, there's enough Deadpool in the pipeline that I might as well group it every week.

DETECTIVE DEADPOOL #1

Reprinting CABLE & DEADPOOL #13.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$1.00

UNCANNY DEADPOOL #1

Reprinting CABLE & DEADPOOL #38.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$1.00

DEADPOOL: FLASHBACKS (TPB)

Written by GERRY DUGGAN & BRIAN POSEHN

Penciled by PHIL NOTO & SCOTT KOBLISH

Cover by KRIS ANKA

All of Deadpool’s fan-favorite flashback issues, collected in chronological order! (I mean, I think so…really, who can keep track?) First, Deadpool goes back to the 1950s to save Nick Fury from time-traveling Hitler! In the 1960s, Deadpool wreaks havoc on a cosmic level! In the 1970s, he hits the streets with Power Man and Iron Fist! In the 1980s, he matches wits with Iron Man! In the 1990s, Deadpool gets his hands on the Infinity Gems — and his ORIGINAL SIN is revealed, with help from Sabretooth and Alpha Flight! Plus: Learn about gracking, energy source of the future, straight from the Roxxon Corporation! If you can’t trust a giant faceless corporation, who can you trust? It’s Deadpool through the decades, in one handy package! Collecting DEADPOOL (2012) #26, #20, #13, #7, #250, #34 and #40.

168 PGS./Parental Advisory …$19.99

OTHER PUBLISHERS

ACG COLLECTED WORKS: FORBIDDEN WORLD VOL 9

Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

Writers: HARRY LAZARUS, RICHARD E. HUGHES

Art: OGDEN WHITNEY & Various

SLIPCASE EDITION: 300 copies in full colour slipcase, £44.99/$69.99

BOOKSHOP EDITION: 1700 bookshop copies available. Unsigned Book only. 288 Pages, £36.99/$59.99

They may have been Forbidden to some--particularly when the Wertham Seduction of the Innocent book hit the newsstands--but to kids the length and breadth of the United States (and a select few in the UK), Richard Hughes and his tremblin’ team of terrific tormenters were where it was at. Big time. And now, a half-century since the first issue appeared, ACG’s wonderful Forbidden Worlds are accessible once more . . . and this time in state-of-the-art hardcover volumes containing five to seven issues apiece. This is going to be one hell of a journey: come make it with us as we travel together through some of the most memorable comicbooks of all time.

About Forbidden Worlds - Volume Nine...

Weird, Mysterious and Spine-tingling stories featuring 53-58 from April 1957 to September 1957 of the ACG classic Forbidden Worlds. This seventh volume has been meticulously compiled from the original source material and painstakingly digitally restored.

Now available for pre-order!

Limited to just 2000 copies and split across two editions, this book is available to order through either acgcomics.com or pspublishing.co.uk.

How far along is Dark Horse on their reprint line?

AQUILA (TPB)

Publisher: REBELLION / 2000AD

Writer: GORDON RENNIE

Art: PATRICK GODDARD, LEIGH GALLAGHER

Cover: GORDON RENNIE

$24.99

He was one of the rebellious gladiator-slaves crucified by the Romans for being part of Spartacus' uprising, and in his dying moments he called out to the gods for vengeance. Something heard him, and brought him back from the dead in exchange for his soul. He is Aquila, and his is now the unstoppable instrument of Ammit the Devourer, who hungers for the souls of evil men -- and Aquila will cross the Roman Empire to feed her until his debt has been paid!

This sounds pretty interesting! I'm always a sucker for history-based comics. Or history-ish. (We don't actually know much about Spartacus.)

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG: THE COMPLETE CLASSIC OMNIBUS (HC)

Written by MIKE BARON, BOB LAYTON, JIM SHOOTER and BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH

Art by MIKE VOSBURG and BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH

Cover by BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH

$99.99 US | 736 pgs. | T+

Following in the footsteps of the X-O MANOWAR CLASSIC OMNIBUS VOL. 1, it’s the complete, oversized omnibus collection of the series Ain’t It Cool News calls “the best buddy team book of all time"!

Obadiah Archer, left for dead as a boy by his corrupt evangelist parents, has spent the last decade honing his innate abilities in a monastery deep in the mountains of Ladakh before emerging now as the world’s greatest hand-to-hand fighter and marksman. His body a temple, his every movement in harmony and his mind perfectly serene… except for the overriding desire to avenge his own murder. Armstrong is a 10,000-year-old libertine who may be as strong as a battalion, but abandoned idealism millennia ago. Now he spends his days drinking, carousing and telling tales of outrageous adventures throughout history to anyone who will listen – that is, when he’s not on the run from an ancient cult whose bumbling agents have been hunting him for two thousand years. But Armstrong counts as the worst day of all his days the one when Archer turned up and decided that they were partners – a team chosen by fate to save the world!

Featuring work from iconic Valiant creators Barry Windsor-Smith ( Conan, Weapon X), Jim Shooter ( Secret Wars), Bob Layton ( Iron Man), Mike Baron ( Nexus), and more, the groundbreaking adventures of the original conspiracy-smashing duo are brought together in their entirety for the very first time right here in this massive, oversized volume.

Collecting ARCHER & ARMSTRONG (1992) #0–26 and ETERNAL WARRIOR (1992) #25, CHAOS EFFECT: OMEGA along with ARCHER & ARMSTRONG: THE FORMATION OF THE SECT.

What surprised me about this series originally, pleasantly, was the presence of Barry Windsor-Smith in the credits. He wasn't doing monthly comics in those days. (Or since, that I recall.)

THE BLACK HOOD #8

Script:   DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI

Art: MICHAEL GAYDOS, KELLY FITZPATRICK, RACHEL DEERING

Cover A: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Cover B: DAVID MACK

32-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.“The Lonely Crusade, Part 2” The Black Hood has tracked down the “Crusaders”—a mysterious group of vigilantes who have vowed to clean the “scum” off the streets of Philadelphia. But their first encounter leaves our man beaten, humbled... and hungry for payback. The Crusaders, however, have some payback of their own in mind. Especially when they stumble upon the Hood’s real identity ...

The upside to Archie's erratic release schedule is that when of their horror or superhero books arrive, it's an event!

COMING SOON TO A COMIC SHOP NEAR YOU

Publisher: ONI PRESS

Writers: ANDREW WHEELER, J. TORRES, NATALIE RIESS

Art/Cover: PAULINA GANUCHEAU, CORIN HOWELL, MAARTA LAIHO, NATALIE RIESS

Oni Press, Portland’s premier independent comic book publisher, is excited to announce Coming Soon to a Comic Shop Near You, a full-color 32-page exclusive preview of three spring 2016 titles: Another Castle, The Mighty Zodiac and Space Battle Lunchtime, complete with behind-the-scenes photos and artwork.

Another Castle is a sword-and-sorcery comedy starring a damsel in distress who doesn't wait to get rescued, brought to you by writer Andrew Wheeler (editor-in-chief of ComicsAlliance) and artist Paulina Ganucheau (Zodiac Starforce).

Princess Misty of Beldora longs for a more exciting life, but gets more than she bargained for when she is captured by Lord Badlug, the ruler of the neighboring kingdom of Grimoire. He intends to marry her and conquer Beldora, leading the land into ruin and chaos. Together with the long-suffering citizens of Grimoire and a certain bumbling prince, Misty must fight to protect her kingdom and free both realms from Badlug’s tyrannical rule. This series is perfect for fans of Lumberjanes, Princeless and Zodiac Starforce.

Writer J. Torres (Teen Titans Go!, Alison Dare), artist Corin Howell (Bat-Mite, Jem and the Holograms, Transformers: Windblade), and colorist Maarta Laiho (Lumberjanes, Adventure Time: Candy Capers) join forces with The Mighty Zodiac, an action-packed adventure set in a rich fantasy world, perfect for fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender, Usagi Yojimbo and Kung Fu Panda.

After the Blue Dragon dies and the stars fall out of the sky, it's up to the Zodiac Clan to collect them before the evil Moon Rabbit Army takes them for their own dark purposes. But there's another hitch: the leader of the Zodiac Clan, Master Long, has fallen ill, and the stars could be the only thing strong enough tho save him.

Last but not least, enter Space Battle Lunchtime by newcomer Natalie Riess, a high-stakes cooking competition in the far reaches of space!

Peony dreams of being a world-renowned pastry chef, but for now she works at a bakery to get herself through school. But then she gets the opportunity of a lifetime – a recruiter is looking for contestants to a large cooking competition. What Peony doesn't know is just how large – the contestants come from every corner of the universe, and the show is broadcast all over space! Peony may be out of her element, but with a passion for desserts, nerves of steel, and a little help from her friends, she might just have a shot at victory.

There's no price listed, so it's likely free, or whatever your LCS decides to charge. But I like samplers!

THE DEATH-DEFYING DOCTOR MIRAGE: SECOND LIVES #2 (of 4)

Written by JEN VAN METER

Art by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE

Cover A by JELENA KEVIC-DJURDJEVIC

Cover B by KEVIN WADA

Cover C by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE

Variant Cover by EMI LENOX

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

A lethal menace has been loosed on the world and everyone – alive or dead –is in harm’s way!

Shan Fong-Mirage is married to a ghost – the late Hwen Mirage, who she herself pulled back from the brink of eternal imprisonment in the underworld. But this team of paranormal investigators has discovered that even the unliving like Hwen can be killed…and that their own research has unwittingly freed a malevolent spirit from a centuries-old enchantment. Now innocent victims – both among the living and dearly departed – are being massacred. To set this right, the Mirages need to unlock another copy of the ancient spell…and only one other paranormal collector has it. And so now the good doctors must pay a house call to an old enemy…

More Valiant goodness.

DOCTOR WHO: FOUR DOCTORS (TPB)

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: PAUL CORNELL

Art: NEIL EDWARDS

Cover: NEIL EDWARDS

128 pages / HC / $19.99 / £14.99

THE UNIVERSE-SHATTERING CROSSOVER...

...THE LAWS OF TIME SAID SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN!

Don't miss this unforgettable first meeting between the Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors, with guest cameos from past incarnations, and an astonishing mystery at its heart!

Written with style by Paul Cornell, Hugo Award-winning author of Doctor Who episodes 'Father's Day' and 'Human Nature/The Family of Blood', and drawn by superstar Neil Edwards (Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Legion of Superheroes), this five-part crossover adventure, collected for the first time, will take you from the Time War to 1920s Paris, and on to the ends of the universe!

Under attack by the Reapers, antibodies of the universe! A photo that should never have been taken, that spells doom for reality! A breathless chase through three TARDISes! A hidden enemy lurking outside of known time! Three Doctors, three companions... and a whole host of heated discussions, flailing arms, and perfectly-phrased insults between immortal Time Lords who really should know better!

This one has it all!

This is the only Doctor Who series I've ever read. I didn't always know what was going on, but it was fun.

I MAGE #0

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: GARY TURNER

Art: CARLOS E. GOMEZ, TEODORO GONZALEZ

Cover: CARLOS E. GOMEZ, EDDY SWAN

$3.99

Kai comes from an advanced utopian society. His family signs on with a scientific mission to study a primitive world of magic. When an unforeseen accident devastates their vessel, Kai is separated from the rest of the crew. All aboard escape in life pods...all except Kai.  With the protection of a loading dock robot Kai survives the ship's impact to the surface. He's rescued by an apprentice magi and her quirky mentor. Together they're Kai's only hope of staying alive long enough for his parent's return.

Shouldn't this be published by Image? Not only because of the name, but it stars a teen/tweenage boy, whereas Action Lab seems to specialize in teen/tweenage girls!

JAMES BOND SPECTRE COMIC STRIPS COLLECTION (HC)

Publisher: TITAN BOOKS

Writers: IAN FLEMING, JIM LAWRENCE

Art/Cover: YAROSLAV HORAK

$39.95

Shaken not stirred, this is the ultimate SPECTRE collection! The inimitable James Bond returns in this lavish comic strip collection collecting four rip-roaring James Bond escapades -- all featuring SPECTRE -- in a deluxe omnibus format! Includes Thunderball, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, You Only Live Twice, and The Spy Who Loved Me. An absolutely essential addition to every Bond fan's library!

In the words of Donald Trump, that art looks very not good. Sight unseen, I'm guessing the novels are better.

NARCOPOLIS: CONTINUUM #1 (of 4)

Publisher: HEAVY METAL MAGAZINE

Writer: SCOTT DUVALL

Art/Cover: RALF SINGH, NICOLAS CHAPUIS

Mature / $3.50

Part 1 of 4. In the near distant future, genius inventor Ben creates the ultimate drug. No ordinary narcotic, its effects will take Ben on a trip through time in an attempt to uncover the truth behind his father's disappearance twenty years ago. In searching for answers, the past reveals its secrets that the young scientist won't accept, even if it means risking everything he's worked for. Based on the UK sci-fi thriller starring Elliot Cowan (Da Vinci's Demons), Elodie Yung (Marvel's Daredevil), James Callis (Battlestar Galactica), and Jonathan Pryce (Brazil), Narcopolis: Continuum explores new corners of the world introduced in the movie.

Injury to the eye motif! Someone notify the corpse of Dr. Wertham!

Also, it seems that this is a comic book based on a movie (instead of the other way around). Has anyone seen it?

NINJAK #11

Written by MATT KINDT

Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE with JUAN JOSE RYP

Cover A (Glow-in-the-Dark) by KANO

Cover B (Glow-in-the-Dark) by CARY NORD

Cover C (Glow-in-the-Dark) by CLAYTON HENRY

Character Design Variant by TREVOR HAIRSINE

Variant Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

$3.99 | 40 pgs. | T+

“OPERATION: DEADSIDE” – PART 2! THE RETURN OF SHADOWMAN!

Stranded in a parallel dimension with no hope of rescue, MI-6’s own Ninjak and Punk Mambo are about to make a startling discovery … the truth about the broken hero called Shadowman!

What happened to Shadowman, the fallen hero of the Valiant Universe? And is he responsible for the strategic attacks that have laid siege to Ninjak’s homeland?

The can’t-miss Valiant milestone of 2016 continues here as New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (DIVINITY) and superstar artist Doug Braithwaite (ARMOR HUNTERS) fall further into the depths of Deadside…and recover the long-lost secret of Valiant’s most mysterious hero!

I like Shadowman, but he can't seem to carry a series. Maybe he should start a second career as a supporting character.

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: GHOST VOL 1

Writers/Art: Various

SLIPCASE EDITION: 300 copies in full colour slipcas, £44.99/$69.99

BOOKSHOP EDITION: 1,700 bookshop copies available. Unsigned Book only. 288 Pages, £36.99/$49.99

This often unfairly forgotten 11-strong series (of which this volume captures the first seven issues) surely boasted some of the most magnificent covers of any of the EC wannabes of some sixty-plus years ago, despite the artists concerned being a considerable way from being ‘household names’. One of these forgotten masters is Maurice Whitman—just check out the cover for #6! Plus you get EC’s very own Jack Kamen regularly popping up inside. Wonderful stuff.

This was material that suggested unpleasantness rather than just stepped forward and pulled the old schlock-it-up lever. Heartily recommended for the more discerning horror comics reader. And watch out for the second volume which completes the run with Ghost’s final four issues and adds in the complete brace of issues of Fiction House’s Monster Comics. Hooo, wait’ll you see those babies!

I love these books, if for no other reason, than the holes they plus in my comics knowledge.

PRINCELESS: RAVEN, THE PIRATE PRINCESS VOL.1 (TPB)

Writer: JEREMY WHITLEY

Art/Cover: ROSY HIGGINS, TED BRANDT

128 pgs. / All Ages / FC / $14.99

Fresh off her adventures in the pages of Princeless, Raven is ready to set out on her quest for revenge against her brothers.  They’ve stolen everything that should be hers and now she’s going to get it back.  But first, she needs a crew.  Share the laughs, action and adventure as Raven assembles the fearless crew of awesome ladies who will help her get her revenge.

See what I mean about Action Lab's specialty?

RED SONJA #1

Writer: MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art: ANEKE

Cover A: MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Cover B: JAY ANACLETO "Connecting"

Cover C: TULA LOTAY

32 pages  / Teen + / $3.99

Through the plains of Hyrkania, a message sweeps through the scattered peoples of the nation. Bells ring, horns blow, voices shout -- the King is dying! Red Sonja rides to save the King from his doom as the powers of Hyboria crowd around to strike when the kingdom is weakest. But a dread new power rises from within Hyrkania's own borders, bent on defending its homeland -- no matter the cost, no matter what its people become. A defining chapter of the Red Sonja saga -- dark, clever, vicious, and funny -- as the She-Devil with a Sword must stop the rise of a brutal new regime ... her own people!

I haven't read all the Dynamite Red Sonja books, but I was surprised to see that she was on such good terms with the king of Hyrkania. But I wasn't surprised by the "twist" ending. I'll give Bennett more time to sell me, because I love what Gail Simone did with the character, and she's set up for a good future.

ROY THOMAS PRESENTS: PLANET COMICS VOL 11

Writers/Art: Various

SLIPCASE EDITION: 300 copies in full colour slipcase,  £44.99/$69.99

BOOKSHOP EDITION: 1,700 bookshop copies available. Unsigned Book only. 288 Pages,  £36.99/$49.99

Ah, they were truly the best of times. Forget the rest. Richard Hughes’s groundbreaking Adventures Into The Unknown, the world’s first anthology-title boldly stepped where no comicbook had gone before. And now, hot on the heels of their critically acclaimed and hugely popular Harvey Horrors series, those lovely folks at PS Artbooks are making them all available again . . . along with ACG’s other much-loved titles--and this time in state-of-the-art hardcover volumes containing five toseven issues apiece. This is going to be one hell of a journey: come make it with us as we travel together through some of the most memorable comic books of all time.

Due to be published for December 2015, this eleventh volume brings together May 1947 to March 1948 issues 48-53. Presented by our very own Roy Thomas this title features a brand new introduction by Mike Benton, specially written for this publication.

I'm four or five books behind on this series, because they're really kinda boring. But as I said above, I love seeing names I recognize, and learning what they did before doing the work I know.

SENRAN KAGURA SKIRTING SHADOWS VOL 3 (GN)

Publisher: SEVEN SEAS ENTERTAINMENT LLC

Writer: KENICHIROU TAKAKI

Art/Cover: AMAMI TAKATSUME

Mature / $12.99

The raunchy video game sensation about buxom ninja girls is now a manga! Hanzo Academy: a secret high school established by the Japanese government to educate the newest generation of ninja girls. The spunky second year student, Asuka, along with her friends, the perverted Katsuragi, the childish Hibari, the mature Ikaruga and the deadly Yagyu, must each undergo rigorous training in their daily school life. But do they have what it takes to become full-fledged ninja? Only their bodacious skills and prodigious talents can keep them alive while they struggle against ninja rivals who seek to destroy them at every turn.

CAVEWOMAN: SISTERS OF THE ARENA #1

Publisher: AMRYL ENTERTAINMENT

Writer/Art/Cover: ROB DURHAM

$3.99

After recovering from the Marshville fires Cavewoman and Maggie are spirited off to the 23rd-century. There they are forced to participate in "Demise" the future's most merciless blood sport. Don't miss out as Meriem takes on four of the most deadliest killers ever to walk the Earth.

It's nice to know that some things transcend culture, language and geography. Two things, it seems, in particular.

SPIRIT LEAVES #1

Publisher: CHAPTERHOUSE COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: ROSSI GIFFORD

$3.99

Scottish-born Rossi Gifford's quarterly debut has been hailed as "a beautifully rendered surreal adventure" by Ramon Perez, and a "dynamic and involving with a gorgeous colour palette" by Dave Gibbons. Freya, an albino deer girl training to be a shaman, sets off to the mystical forest to find out what is causing an imbalance. Along the journey,she meets a wolf boy looking for the same entity, and they agree to find it together. Both are determined to pursue this force and prove they are capable on their own -- but how do you stop a demon?

Surreal is good, so long as it doesn't slide into incoherent.

SWORDS OF GLASS (GN)

Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writer: SYLVIANE CORGIAT

Art/Cover: LAURA ZUCCHERI

Mature / $19.95

In a world threatened by the imminent death of its sun, young Yama lives a relatively happy and peaceful life. But everything changes the day a sword of glass falls from the sky, just as the prophecy had announced. Anyone who touches the sword is instantly turned to glass and dies. Orland, the local lord of war, comes to take possession of the unique weapon but fails to retrieve it. In the process, Yama's father is killed and her mother taken away. Yama, however, escapes and survives with only one thought: when she grows up, she will return to get the sword of glass, and avenge her parents.

Pretty imaginative premise. Nice cover, too.

TESTAMENT OF SISTER NEW DEVIL VOL 1 (GN)

Publisher: SEVEN SEAS ENTERTAINMENT LLC

Writer: TETSUO UESU

Art/Cover: KASHIWA MIYAKO

$12.99

When his oddball father suddenly decides to remarry, high school student Toujo Basara is about to acquire some very peculiar new family members. Enter his new seductive step-sisters, Mio and Maria. When Basara discovers that one of his step-sisters is a succubus, and his other a recently crowned demon lord, all hell breaks loose! Basara is almost forced into a contract with his demonic sisters where he would act as their eternal servant - but something goes wrong. Instead, a reverse contract is formed, and Basara becomes the master. Between fending off their seductive advances to coping with the attacks of rival demon contractors, Basara has a big learning curve if he is to survive.

This is the second step-incest premise in two weeks. Maybe that doesn't carry the same cultural taboo as it does in the U.S.

WAR STORIES VOL 3 (TPB)

Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Art: MATT MARTIN & VARIOUS

Cover: MATT MARTIN

$24.99

This volume of Garth Ennis' powerful War Stories series features tales ripped from the pages of history itself delivering a horrifying and riveting look at some of the most brutal battles throughout time. This essential tome includes three stories of battle written by Ennis and illustrated by Thomas Aria including:

Castles in the Sky: A horrifying tale of early bomber pilots and their incredibly difficult missions during wartime. Thrust into the sky with a new team of soldiers these brave men learn quickly the horrors of aerial combat over the skies of Germany.  With art by Matt Martin and Keith Burns.

Children of Israel: In 1973, the Golan Heights was the home to the most brutal tank warfare in history. As a young nation of Israel faced the imposing forces of the Syrian army, the true mettle of these soldiers would be tested as never before.   With art by Tomas Aira.

The Last German Winter: February 1945: as the Soviet war machine crashes into eastern Germany on a tidal wave of carnage and revenge, a mother and her children join the flood of refugees struggling to stay ahead of the invaders. But the realities of battle are dreadful to behold, and what the little family find waiting for them is deadlier than any mythical dragon. Worse still, the strange figures who appear from the deep woods are far from being knights in shining armour- and in these dark times, the price of salvation may just be too much to bear. With art by Tomas Aira. This volume collects War Stories #1-9 of the ongoing comic book series.

I loved this book when it was at Vertigo, so I suspect Amazon will be getting a click from me. Ennis tells war stories that focus on the individual in areas not often seen -- women pilots (Night Witches) in the Soviet Union, civilians, medical personnel behind the lines, etc. He does frontline soldiers as well. It's a good mix, and the stories are usually well crafted and surprising.

THE X-FILES VOL 1.: THE AGENTS, THE BUREAU AND THE SYNDICATE

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

176pp / Softcover / $19.99

RELEASE DATE: January 12, 2016

To celebrate the return of the hugely popular sci-fi TV series, we shine a light on The X-Files once more in this essential new collection commemorating the iconic TV show. In the first volume, journey inside the bureau and meet the agents fighting to expose the truth of a global conspiracy, and the shadowy syndicate intent on concealing it at all costs. Featuring cast interviews, behind-the-scenes secrets from the writers and creators, plus a host of in-depth features, it's time to rediscover the truth!

Features content previously published in the official X-Files Magazine.

I've never seen X-Files Magazine, so I don't know much about this. And it's coming out Jan. 12 (a Tuesday), so I assume it's mostly a bookstore thing.

ZOMBIE TRAMP VS. VAMPBLADE (TPB)

Writers: JASON MARTIN, DAN MENDOZA

Art/Cover: WINSTON YOUNG

96 pgs / Mature Readers / FC / $11.99

In a story too big to contain in the pages of her regular monthly series,

fan favorite undead anti-heroine Zombie Tramp goes up against a new larger-then-life supernatural foe … Vampblade!

Can Zombie Tramp hold her own against this new weapon-wielding dominatrix and her interdimensional vampire enemies, or has she met her sexy/crazy/cool match!?!

Collects the entire spin-off mini-series and introduces Vampblade before the release of her own ongoing series this October

I thought Vampblade was a parody at first, but now I think they're really trying to launch a viable ongoing character. Here's the ground floor, if you're interested.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1936739458?profile=originalCaptain Comics said:

When I saw this title in the solicitations list, I assumed it was that secret history of S.H.I.E.L.D. that Jonathan Hickman wrote a while back, tracing the organization back to ancient Egypt. But what do you know, there's another secret history. I guess they were jealous of Hydra, which now has two or three distinct origins.

Being an oldtimer, I have a place in my heart for the first Hydra origin, founded by Baron Strucker in the Pacific in Capt. Savage and His Leatherneck Raiders #2, #3 and #4 from 1968.

• Captain Comics said:

In the words of Donald Trump, that art looks very not good. Sight unseen, I'm guessing the novels are better.

These are the newspaper strip adaptations that were done of the books that involved SPECTRE. The books were good, with the exception of The Spy Who Loved Me, where the chauvinistic Fleming tried to write a story from a woman's perspective. The cover depicted is a blown-up detail from the newspaper strip and is not a good example of the art. The art is good and the adaptations are faithful. These are the same strips that were reprinted in a series of 9x12 TPBs from Titan Books about a decade ago.

I've never seen X-Files Magazine, so I don't know much about this. And it's coming out Jan. 12 (a Tuesday), so I assume it's mostly a bookstore thing.

I suspect this is coming out because there will be a six-episode X-Files miniseries on FOX TV beginning on January 24.

• Absolutely! It made me feel justified in buying Marvel war books at the time.

Richard Willis said:

1936739458?profile=originalCaptain Comics said:

Being an oldtimer, I have a place in my heart for the first Hydra origin, founded by Baron Strucker in the Pacific in Capt. Savage and His Leatherneck Raiders #2, #3 and #4 from 1968.

• Thanks, Richard, for the info!

Richard Willis said:

Captain Comics said:

These are the newspaper strip adaptations that were done of the books that involved SPECTRE. The books were good, with the exception of The Spy Who Loved Me, where the chauvinistic Fleming tried to write a story from a woman's perspective. The cover depicted is a blown-up detail from the newspaper strip and is not a good example of the art. The art is good and the adaptations are faithful. These are the same strips that were reprinted in a series of 9x12 TPBs from Titan Books about a decade ago.

I suspect this is coming out because there will be a six-episode X-Files miniseries on FOX TV beginning on January 24.

This reply was deleted.