Comics Guide for Jan. 20, 2016

DARK HORSE

THE INCREDIBLE ADVENTURES OF DOG MENDONÇA AND PIZZABOY VOLUME 3: REQUIEM (TPB)

Writer: FILIPE MELO

Art/Cover: JUAN CAVIA

Colors: SANTIAGO VILLA

FC, 128 pages, $12.99, TPB, 6” x 9”

Banding together one final time, a world-weary werewolf, a six-thousand-year-old demon, a nervous gargoyle, and a former pizza-delivery boy face a worldwide monster invasion! Dog Mendonça is a hit sensation in its home country of Portugal, and this English-language edition includes a special making-of section and a foreword by legendary horror director and writer Tobe Hooper!

• A celebrated international team delivers a mash-up of humor, horror, and end-of-days drama!

• The final volume in the Dog Mendonça trilogy!

When I think "comics" I don't usually think "Portugal," but evidently that Iberian country has a comics industry too. The lengthy preview (click the button above) shows influence from the Franco-Belgian school, as you'd expect, but what it resembled most to me was the work of Arthur de Pins (Zombillenium): clean, cartoony, slightly angular Disney lite. Not bad.

MIDNIGHT SOCIETY: THE BLACK LAKE (TPB)

Writer/Art/Cover: DREW EDWARD JOHNSON

Colors: LIZZY JOHN

FC, 128 pages, $14.99, TPB, 7” x 10”

Forty years ago, England’s greatest adventurers shattered their friendship, making a terrible choice that would come to haunt humanity. Forty years later, when she’s sent on a desperate rescue operation to Scotland’s Loch Ness, secret agent Matilda Finn faces the consequences of that choice and questions her already-loose ties to human society. Collects Midnight Society: The Black Lake #1-4.

“A gem of a comic book.”—Oscar Maltby, Newsarama

“Drew Johnson has drawn a beautifully elucidated world. ... The word ‘impeccable’ comes to mind.”—Walter Simonson

Summing up what I said when the individual issues of this mini were coming out, the story doesn't reflect what the solicits said was the intent (pulp fiction in a world where magic works), but it was still a pretty good story (too much set-up for future stories to be a great story) and the art was fantastic.

DC COMICS

COLORING BOOK VARIANT COVERS

This week's include Batman #48, Martian Manhunter #8, Robin Son of Batman #8, Sinestro #19, Superman/Wonder Woman #25, Titans Hunt #4 and Wonder Woman #48.

Note for the record that the Titans Hunt cover is an homage to Teen Titans #14 (left).

GRAYSON VOL. 2: WE ALL DIE AT DAWN (TPB)

Written by TIM SEELEY and TOM KING

Art by MIKEL JANIN and STEPHEN MOONEY

Cover by MIKEL JANIN

144 pg, FC, $14.99 US

In these tales from GRAYSON #5-8 and GRAYSON ANNUAL #1, Grayson must stop Paragon from using the body parts of a dead villain to create something far more sinister. Then, Dick goes toe-to-toe with Midnighter, and he and Helena Bertinelli battle foes from their past: the Fist of Cain!

I'm not really sure what to make of Dick Grayson's new direction, as a double agent (for Batman) in the amoral, freelance espionage organization Spyral. That group seems new for The New 52, but the name of Dick's partner is not: Helena Bertinelli. (That name is available since the current Huntress is the former Robin of Earth-2, Helena Wayne.) Anyway, since his purpose is to infiltrate and bring down the organization, the status quo seems pretty precarious. Also, the in-joke of reverse sexism (including infantile "Dick" jokes) is wearing a bit thin. (I think I've read sufficient discussions of Dick Grayson's buttocks to last a lifetime.)

But this collection includes a story that will make older fans sit up and gasp in recognition. I may be ruining the surprise, but it happened to me, so I'll share. What happens is that Grayson, Midnighter, Helena and a baby (long story) are stranded in the "Empty Quarter" (the Saudi Arabian desert), and while they're trudging hopelessly through the sand, Grayson monologues about a dream he had ... which happens to be the much-loved "Robin Dies at Dawn!" from Batman #156 (1963)! Nice job, Tim Seeley and Tom King, whoever you are!

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATMAN VOL. 6 (TPB)

Written by DENNIS O’NEIL, FRANK ROBBINS and others

Art by NEAL ADAMS, IRV NOVICK, DICK GIORDANO and others

Cover by NEAL ADAMS

584 pg, B&W, $19.99 US

In this new collection of tales from BATMAN #229-244 and DETECTIVE COMICS #408-426, Batman returns to his roots as the Dark Knight Detective, operating on his own in the shadows of Gotham City. With Robin away in college, Batman faces new foes and old, including Two-Face, Man-Bat and Ra’s al Ghul, making his debut appearance.

Believe it or not, the Li'l Capn wasn't very impressed with Batman in the Silver Age. The "New Look" Batman was OK, but kinda bland by Silver Age standards -- they were good comics, but kinda paled next to Lee & Kirby Fantastic Four, Lee & Ditko Amazing Spider-Man and Broome/Kane Green Lantern. Plus, the advent of the Batman TV series made it an embarrassment to be seen with a Batman comic book.

That all changed in the late 1960s, with the advent of Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams. It was the artwork that snagged the tweenage Capn's attention, of course, because it was the first time he thought Batman was visually stirring. O'Neil's stories were also a sharp departure, fleshing out the Gotham Guardian beyond the one-note detective emphasis of the New Look. This wasn't my older brother's Batman -- it was exciting, unpredictable and it made me a lifelong Neal Adams fan.

And that's more or less the period the stories in this collections collects. And, hey, it's got the first appearance of Ra's al Ghul!

POISON IVY: CYCLE OF LIFE AND DEATH #1 (of 6)

Written by AMY CHU

Art and cover by CLAY MANN

1:25 Variant cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON

32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T

Life. Death. Poison Ivy has power over both. But can she keep her friends and hold down a regular job at the same time? As Dr. Pamela Isley, she joins the prestigious plant sciences department at Gotham Botanical Gardens, but things quickly get complicated when a fellow scientist is murdered and it looks like the work of Ivy. Don’t miss the start of this new 6-issue miniseries!

DC doesn't do previews very often, so they must be committed to selling this title.

You know, most fans who like Poison Ivy seem obsessed with her sexual identity. They scour her appearances for proof she's a lesbian, which is what they seem to want her to be.

*Shrug* I'm not nearly as concerned about that as DC giving her a consistent personality. If that's lesbian (or more likely, someplace more complicated on the spectrum), then fine. But just establish something, instead of leaping all over the place, from helpless victim to homicidal maniac to lesbian girlfriend (for Harley Quinn) to straight man (for Harley Quinn again) to inhuman plant-thing to whatever. If she's to carry her own book, she has to be a recognizable character, who is the same from storyline to storyline.

And, it should go without saying, a character we want to read about. Sometimes writers seem to forget that part.

IDW PUBLISHING

AMAZING FOREST #1

Written by ULISES FARINAS, ERICK FREITAS

Art by JULIEN DUFOUR, MATT ROTA, MELODY OFTEN, YUMI SAKUGAWA

Cover by ULISES FARINAS

Subscription Cover by PAUL CHADWICK

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Tales for the bold. Ideas for the strange. Wicked concepts that stir the minds of those with darkness in their hearts. A modern anthology that lends itself to a time when stories were short and ugly. Written by Ulises Farinas & Erick Freitas, each comic is drawn by a different amazingly talented artist, each lending their unique talents to bring horrible happiness to the readers’ skulls!

A collection of the greatest stories ever told, from the minds of Ulises Farinas & Erick Freitas (Judge Dredd: Mega-City Zero)!

32 pages of pure allegorical madness!

I don't know what "allegorical madness" is, but Image and Vertigo have raised the bar on the First Issue Sweepstakes so much that it better be good!

HORROR BY HECK

Writer/Art/Cover: DON HECK

HC • FC • $24.99 • 152 Pages • 8.5” x 11”

Don Heck was the  co-creator of Marvel’s Iron Man and the long time Avengers artist. In the 1950s Heck did a score of artistically brilliant and extremely beyond-the-pale, extremely gruesome, Pre-Code Horror comic book covers and comics. The Chilling Archives of Horror Comics now gives it’s loving attention to this unsung horror master! This beautiful hardcover book sports the usual Yoe Books detailed history, rare images reproduced from original art and more mind-blowing ephemera to give a fascinating look at the dark side of Dapper Don Heck.

Look for the other Chilling Archives of Horror Comics books: Jack Cole’s Deadly Horror, The Worst of Eerie Publications, Tom Sutton’s Creepy Things, etc.—collect them all!

Of all the books in this series so far, this is the one I'm least excited about. Heck was an important second-tier Marvel artist in the Silver Age, but he was never one of my favorites. And this material is from earlier in his career, when he was less experienced.

But some artists actually did more inspired work in the pre-Code horror books than they did on later superhero work, and I'm hoping Heck is one of them.

WEIRD LOVE #11

Writers: RICHARD E. HUGHES & VARIOUS

Art: MATT BAKER, VARIOUS

Cover: OGDEN WHITNEY

$4.99 / FC / 32 pages

The cover story alone, "Jailbird's Romance", would cost you a couple of grand on the collector's market! It's drawn by the demented duo Ogden Whitney and Richard Hughes. More bizarre stories include "It's Like Love, Pussycat!" "Pick-up," and in "Savage Kisses," a knife-wielding, half-naked, island girl fights Nazis and wins the heart of an American soldier. Then, it gets worse, with the most sordid comic story we've ever printed!

Wait -- "killer's brand"? Where? Can only judges see it? Are those handcuffs actually just tattoos? Hey, if this girl is branded, I wanna see it!

IMAGE COMICS

PENCIL HEAD #1 (OF 5)

Writer/Art/Cover: TED McKEEVER

32 PAGES / BW / M / $3.99

PENCIL HEAD is Ted McKeever's semi-autobiographical take on the whacked-out world of the comic book industry. Journey along as we witness protagonist Poodwaddle's trials and tribulations of working, and sustaining, his place in the absurd world of comics, where what happens behind the scenes is far more twisted, and bizarrely hilarious, than anything on the printed page.

I'm not big on autobiographical comics, but McKeever does seriously weird work, so his perspective might be interesting.

WOLF #5

Writer: ALES KOT

Art: RICARDO LOPEZ ORTIZ & LEE LOUGHRIDGE

Cover: RICARDO LOPEZ ORTIZ & TOM MULLER

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

NEW STORY ARC

Bestselling writer Ales Kot (ZERO, THE SURFACE) and artist Ricardo Lopez Ortiz (ZERO) will launch a new story arc in their ongoing mythical noir series WOLF this January.

Previously in WOLF, Antoine Wolfe got us rolling on the road to hell and back when he and the teenaged maybe-Antichrist Anita kicked off what might just be the Apocalypse.

In WOLF #5, Anita and Wolfe try to pick up the pieces—five years later.

"WOLF #5 begins 4 years after the events of the first collection, and everything in the comic reflects that—down to the creative team. While Matt Taylor is still in charge of all the collected edition covers together with our designer, Tom Muller, the monthly artist torch has been passed to Ricardo Lopez Ortiz, a fantastic new talent whose qualities far outweigh his still modest comics credentials,” said Kot. “Wolfe wakes up in a prison that will seem familiar to careful readers—while Anita drags something dead back home. A home that features more than one character you may have assumed gone forever… but in comics, as in life, unexpected resurrections sometimes happen when you're looking the other way—or when you're waiting for a new issue."

“As tough as it is to fill in the giant art shoes that Matt Taylor left behind, I'm incredibly excited to take over on art duties for this new arc of Wolf,” said Ortiz. “The whole creative team has come together beautifully and concocted an eerily fun and mind-bending trip of a story that will knock readers for a loop and leave them hungry for more.”

Image seems to have discovered the concept of publicizing new story arcs. Here's a press release and preview for one of 'em.

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN/INHUMANS/ALL-NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA: INHUMAN ERROR (TPB)

Written by JEFF LOVENESS

Penciled by LUCA PIZZARI, RYAN LEE & ALEC MORGAN

Cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL

104 PGS / Rated T+ / $12.99

The Terrigen Cloud released by Inhuman king Black Bolt has already rocked the world, but its effects on New York City are far from over! Now, a legendary Golden Age character descends from the skies seeking his own brand of revenge! When Red Raven attacks the Inhumans’ newly settled city of New Attilan, Spider-Man joins a band of fledgling Inhumans to defend it. But just as the winged menace has them all at his mercy, an inspirational hero swoops to their aid! One bird turn deserves another as Sam Wilson, the high-flying All-New Captain America, battles Red Raven! Feathers will fly in this decade-spanning avian adventure penned by Jeff Loveness (The Jimmy Kimmel Show, DEATH OF WOLVERINE: LIFE AFTER LOGAN)! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN SPECIAL, INHUMAN SPECIAL and ALL-NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA SPECIAL.

Your turn to give me YOUR opinion. I'm tempted to buy this, in the hopes that some of the characters introduced here might inform some of the post-Secret Wars Inhumans titles, which are often filled with characters that appear new to me. Does it? Also, is the Red Raven here the same as the one back in The X-Men #44, and is he established as a viable character? Those would be two reasons for me to get this, if either are true.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #1

Written by TARA BUTTERS & MICHELLE FAZEKAS

Art & Cover by KRIS ANKA

Variant Cover by ADAM HUGHES

Hip-Hop  Variant by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Design Variant by KRIS ANKA

Deadpool Variant by MARK BAGLEY w/ DREW HENNESSY & FRANK MARTIN

Cosplay Variant by JUDY STEPHENS

Blank Variant Also Available

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

Higher Altitude. Same Attitude.

New mission, same attitude. Suit up and strap in True Believer, because Carol Danvers is dialing it up a notch. Calling all Carol Corps members! Marvel is pleased to announce CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 – a brand new ongoing series launching later this year! Marvel’s Agent Carter Executive Producers and Showrunners Michele Fazekas & Tara Butters make the jump to Marvel Comics to pen the explosive adventures of Earth’s Mightiest Hero alongside rising star artist Kris Anka (Uncanny X-Men)!

“We are thrilled to have Michelle and Tara onboard for Captain Marvel’s next adventure,” says Marvel Director of Character & Content Development and Series Editor Sana Amanat. “They are powerhouse storytellers who will take Carol to even further heights as she explores what’s beyond Earth’s borders.  Carol Corps, stay at the ready, it’s going to be one wild ride!”

Carol’s been from one end of the universe to the other, and through her journey she’s discovered the hero and the leader she was born to be. Now she’s back – and if you want to get to Earth, you’ve got to get through Captain Marvel first! That’s right, Earth’s highest flying, hardest punching heroine is the planet’s first line of defense against any and all extraterrestrial threats. With an entire fleet and a state of the art Space Station at her command, if you come here looking for trouble, you won’t know what hit you! But when an abandoned ghost ship appears in our galaxy carrying mysterious cargo – does it spell doom for everything Carol’s built for herself?  

Hero. Pilot. Avenger. Leader. The next evolution of Carol Danvers begins this fall as she blasts off once again in CAPTAIN MARVEL #1!

I'm still rooting for Captain Marvel to achieve Wonder Woman status at Marvel. Still hate the haircut (the horse mane that appears when she's wearing the helmet is distractingly stupid-looking), but here's another chance. Don't blow it, Marvel!

THIS WEEK'S DEADPOOL

THE GROOVY DEADPOOL #1

Reprinting DEADPOOL (2012) #13.

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$1.00

THE MEATY DEADPOOL #1

Reprinting DEADPOOL (2008) #11.

THE WEDDING OF DEADPOOL #1

Reprinting material from DEADPOOL (2012) #27.

DEADPOOL #6

GERRY DUGGAN (W) SCOTT KOBLISH (A/C)

SECRET COMIC VARIANT BY SCOTT KOBLISH

• INTRODUCING: DEADPOOL 2099!

• Jump 84 years into the future for an all-new adventure with an all-new Deadpool!

• Who is this sci-fi Mouthy-Merc-Lady?

• And what’s her connection to Wade Wilson?

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

You can't stop him! You can't contain him! You certainly can't get away from him!

MARVEL FRONTIER COMICS: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION (TPB)

Written by NICK ABADZIS, SIMON JOWETT, NICK VINCE, PAUL NEARY, DAVID HINE & MICHAEL WIESSMULLER

Penciled by PAUL JOHNSON, CHARLIE ADLARD, MARK BUCKINGHAM, LIAM SHARP, DAVID HINE & D’ISRAELI

Cover by TBA

416 PGS / Mature / $39.99

A forgotten gem from Marvel UK is collected in its entirety for the first time, with new art and introductions by the original creators! Who is Bloodseed? And what is his mission in a barbarian world of talking pterodactyls, giant lizards and remnants of technology from a long-lost civilization? Something is haunting author Sam Wantling’s dreams — could he be a Child of the Voyager? Will James Owl survive his dance with demons when he discovers that he is the heir to a great Native American spirit? And in the 14th century, Mortigan Goth sold his soul for immortality…now, how far will he go to keep it? Collecting CHILDREN OF THE VOYAGER #1-4, DANCES WITH DEMONS #1-4, MORTIGAN GOTH: IMMORTALIS #1-4, BLOODSEED #1-2 and MARVEL FRONTIER COMICS UNLIMITED #1.

One of the reasons Marvel UK titles and characters are often forgotten is that they were usually awful. This group doesn't seem to break the pattern.

NEW AVENGERS #5

Writer: AL EWING

Art: GERARDO SANDOVAL

Cover: OSCAR JIMENEZ

• Captain America! Iron Mariner! King Hulk! Marvel Woman! Collapsar! Together, they are the Avengers – of the year 20XX!

• Now, these five heroes are breaking the laws of time itself to prevent their greatest tragedy!

• Destination – the year 2016! Target – the New Avengers!

I hate to admit, I've always loved mysterious, mix-and-match, alternative versions of familiar characters. It just raises so many questions! What is King Hulk king of? (And why is he blond?) Is that America Chavez in the Captain America costume? Thor is toting Jarlborn -- does that mean the female Thor continues into the year 20XX? And is Iron Mariner's nickname "Rusty"? (Because, you know, iron and water ... )

PUNISHER MAX: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL. 1 (TPB)

Written by GARTH ENNIS

Penciled by DARICK ROBERTSON, LEWIS LAROSA & LEANDRO FERNANDEZ

Cover by TIM BRADSTREET

424 PGS / Explicit Content / $34.99

Experience the gritty and uncompromising PUNISHER MAX from the very beginning! When a mob hit killed his beloved wife and children, Frank Castle became the Punisher — an unstoppable one-man army waging war on every piece of criminal scum plaguing New York’s streets. But do the Punisher’s origins trace back even further? In 1971 Vietnam, Captain Castle’s platoon faces a Viet Cong attack — and to survive, he must make a grim choice. Then, Punisher’s old partner, Microchip, long thought to be a casualty of Castle’s war, resurfaces with a startling offer! Will the Punisher play patsy for the CIA? If not, will they let him walk away? And in a story ripped from the headlines, Castle must take on rival Irish gangs when a bomb goes off in Hell’s Kitchen! Collecting BORN #1-4 and PUNISHER (2004) #1-12.

If I'm remembering correctly -- there have been a LOT of short-run Punisher series -- Garth Ennis' strength in writing war stories pays off in this series. Plus, you can't beat those Tim Bradstreet covers.

SILVER SURFER #1

Written by DAN SLOTT

Art & Cover by MIKE ALLRED & LAURA ALLRED

Variant Cover by MARCO RUDY

Hip-Hop Variant by CLIFF CHIANG

Baby Hip-Hop Variant by CLIFF CHIANG

Deadpool Variant by WILL SLINEY

“Fantastic Planet”

Hang ten and catch a cosmic wave, because the fan-favorite series is returning! That’s right – Norrin Radd, Dawn Greenwood and Toomie will all return for a brand new ongoing series beginning in SILVER SURFER #1 this January! Fan-favorite duo Dan Slott & Mike Allred are back to chronicle the power cosmic fueled adventures of this trio as they embark on a new journey right in Dawn’s backyard!

The Surfer has taken Dawn Greenwood to the edges of the universe and the end of the multiverse. Now he’s going to take her to explore the most fantastic planet of them all: Earth! Familiar faces and new foes lie at every turn. But the world is much different in the eight month gap since Secret Wars. Are the Surfer and Dawn ready for the changes in store?

“We’ll definitely get back into space before too long, but after a long time away, we’re going to be reconnecting with the Earth and its inhabitants in a big way – and that includes both Dawn and the Surfer,” says Marvel SVP, Executive Editor Tom Brevoort in an interview with Marvel.com.

It’s your home world like you’ve never seen it before. Complete with monsters, magic, and a secret that will change everything! Hang on tight, it’s a new Surfer for a new Marvel Universe in SILVER SURFER #1!

I haven't read the pre-Secret Wars Silver Surfer yet. Do I need to, Legionnaires?

OTHER PUBLISHERS

ABSENT CAPTAIN #2

Publisher: OVERGROUND COMICS

Writer: JON HUGHES

Art: JOSHUA FLOWER, MOSTAFA MOUSSA

Cover: JON HUGHES

$3.99

After their rash decision to cover up the truth about the death of their leader, Captain Zero, the Cavaliers regroup. Tensions mount, however, when a member of the team makes a bold move to further hide the truth. The mystery begins to unfold here!

Mom, meet my new girlfriend. Mom? Mom?!? Somebody call 911! MOM!

AKUMA NO RIDDLE VOL 2: RIDDLE STORY OF DEVIL (GN)

Publisher: SEVEN SEAS ENTERTAINMENT LLC

Writer: YUN KOUGA

Art/Cover: SUNAO MINAKATA

$12.99

Happy-go-lucky Haru Ichinose is an upbeat, all-smiles kind of girl. At a prestigious all-girls boarding school, Haru is one of the most popular girls on campus. The attention paid to her, however, is about to turn deadly.

Enter Tokaku Azuma, a cold-blooded female assassin, who moves from one mission to the next with deadly precision. The heartless Tokaku has set her sights on Haru as her next target. What should have been a routine hit turns into a far more complicated affair as Tokaku is unable to pull the trigger on Haru.

As Tokaku copes with her strange, budding feelings, will she decide to save Haru's life or end it?

High school antics. Teenage assassins. Wolverine claws. Lesbian love. All that's missing is a chef competition.

AMERICAN MONSTER #1

Publisher: AFTERSHOCK COMICS

Writer: BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art/Cover: JUAN DOE

Mature/$3.99

In a small Midwestern town, a large man with a horribly scarred face gets off a bus, and takes a room. He spooks the locals--nobody knows him--or do they? It's impossible to say be-cause he seemingly has no face. The man's intentions remain unknown, until he takes on a corrupt sheriff and the rural crew of racist arms dealers. The town's impression of the man changes, and he's seen as a hero...until his real intentions bubble to the surface. The man isn't there to end the gang, but to take it over. And he's just getting started.

Another entry in the First Issue Sweepstakes. "Gritty Crime Noir" category, you think? It is Brian Azzarello, after all.

BOOK OF DEATH (TPB)

Publisher: Valiant Comics

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by ROBERT GILL and DOUG BRAITHWAITE

Cover by ROBERT GILL

$14.99 | 160 pgs. | T+ | TRADE PAPERBACK

The Valiant heroes. X-O Manowar. Bloodshot. Ninjak. The Harbinger Renegades. Unity. This is how they lived. This is how they died.

Now we know. The Book of the Geomancer has recorded it all. But only a young girl – the last in a line of the enigmatic mystics who protect the Earth known as

Geomancers – has seen this future come to pass, from the coming cataclysm to the dawn of the 41st century. Alone with her sworn protector, the Eternal Warrior – a soldier battle-forged across five thousand years of combat – the duo must defy their allies to stop the Dark Age that now threatens to eclipse our world.

Together, they are the number one target of every hero and villain on Earth. Either the Eternal Warrior hands her over … or they take him down. But can even he single-handedly protect one child when the entire Valiant Universe wages war against him?

New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (X-O MANOWAR) joins superstar-in-the-making Robert Gill (Batgirl) and visionary artist Doug Braithwaite (ARMOR HUNTERS) to begin a thousand-year journey into the future of the Valiant

Universe … and rain, fire, blood and war on the heroes of today.

Collecting: BOOK OF DEATH #1–4.

This was a terrific story with genuine drama -- because it was really uncertain who would survive (and not everybody does). It also elevated Gilad Anni-Padda, the Eternal Warrior, to  "favorite Valiant character" status. Sure didn't see that coming.

BOOK OF HOPE (HC)

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: TOMMI MUSTURI

$34.99

The Book of Hope slows the reader down to the rhythms of a retired couple living in the countryside. Behind the static, routine moments of everyday life something bigger takes shape. Intimations of mortality starts to consume the husband, leading to visions and questions. This graphic novel is a thoughtful exploration of the human condition filled with timeless humor found in the series of moments that make up our lives. Musturi's eloquence and economy will remind American readers of Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan.

Looks artsy-fartsy. Sometimes artsy-fartsy is really good, like Jimmy Corrigan. Sometimes it's self-indulgent crap. Fantagraphics is rolling the dice to see which one we think this is.

CASK OF AMONTILLADO

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writers: EDGAR ALLAN POE, ENRICA JANG

Art/Cover: JASON STRUTZ

$3.99

"The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge." A new adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's most famous tale of wine, friendship and betrayal. Includes an exciting first look at pages from the upcoming sequel to the Poe classic, The House of Montresor

"For the love of God, Montresor!"

"Yes, for the love of God, Fortunato."

Heh. I still say that in public sometimes.

CRUISING THROUGH THE LOUVRE

Publisher: NBM PUBLISHING

Writer/Art/Cover: DAVID PRUDHOMME

8 ½ x 11, 80pp., full color hardcover, $22.99

Author David Prudhomme meanders through the Louvre, feeling as if in the panels of a giant comic while he himself is creating his own. In this institution, all manner of people from all over the world rub elbows quietly. So he decides to cruise through the Louvre at a quick pace, not to look at the art but to observe the people and their interaction with it. He discovers: a group of students somehow stuck together just like the shipwrecked on the Raft of the Medusa; a man behind the Seated Scribe, as if attempting to read over his shoulder; in the hall of antiquities, a woman placing her head in a lion’s mouth… For two hours, Prudhomme is witness to a strange silent and casual choreography, danced in the midst of one of the most prestigious museums in the world…

I've enjoyed most of "The Louvre Collection" GNs, where various European artists are given free reign to write and draw anything they want, provided it involves The Louvre in some way. I imagine I'll enjoy this one, too. (Full disclosure: I received a review copy in the mail yesterday, and didn't have time to read it before posting this guide.)

DEVI WITCHBLADE (ONE-SHOT)

Publisher: GRAPHIC INDIA PTE. LTD

Writers: SAMIT BASU, RON MARZ

Art: ERIC BASALDUA, MUKESH SINGH

Cover A: STJEPAN SEJIC

Cover B: ERIC BASALDUA

Wrap Cover: GREG LAND

Limited Devi on Top Cover (200 copies): JENNY FRISON

Limited Witchblade on Top Cover (200 copies): JENNY FRISON

A Double-Sized 48-PAGE one-shot spectacular for only $4.99!

I don't know who Devi is, and the solicitation is nearly non-existent. I guess they're counting on Witchblade to sell it.

DEVOLUTION #1

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: RICK REMENDER

Art: JONATHAN WAYSHAK

Colors: JORDAN BOYD

Cover A: JAE LEE

$3.99 / Mature / 32 pages

Every living creature on Earth has been devolved -- the evolutionary clock turned back, reverting all life to odd mutations and prehistoric incarnations. The cities of man are little more than bloody territories ruthlessly dominated by tribal Neanderthals ruling from the backs of mammoths, packs of saber-toothed tigers, and giant man-eating insects. Writer Rick Remender (Black Science, Fear Agent), artist Jon Wayshak (The Authority), and colorist Jordan Boyd (Ant-Man, Planet Hulk) take you on a journey with the last band of "Still Sapien" humans in the hope of locating an antidote and re-evolving the human race.

Rick Remender says, "Jon Wayshak and Jordan Boyd are two of the very best guys working and I'm excited to see them take this old story and give it new life. Jon spends much of his time outside of comic books so I feel very fortunate to have roped him into Devolution, and when you see the first issue, you'll thank me. I wanted to work with Jon since I was first exposed to his madness in an anthology book with Jerome Opeña and Harper Jaten, two of my very favorite art-type people in the world, with whom he shares a stylistic approach. We need Jon. We need his powers to protect us from banal bulls**t that is always attempting to seep in. Jon is a great storyteller, marvelous illustrator, and world-class stylist. His inks and textures are unparalleled. With Jordan doing his usual masterful colors, we have the new superstar art teams in the galaxy of the universe of power and magic and love and d-e-v-o."

"I am absolutely thrilled about being a part of Devolution," says Wayshak. "I've been wanting to work with Rick for quite some time now and I think this series is a perfect match for my tastes and art sensibilities, which can get a bit extreme. I wanted to get down-and-dirty and draw some really gnarly stuff, and this is the perfect opportunity."

"I can't thank Rick enough for bringing Jon on board. Rick opened up my eyes to an art style I had not seen before, and man, it's hands-down fantastic. Jon brings an artistic quality to the series that few others could," says Nick Barrucci, CEO and Publisher of Dynamite Entertainment. "As you can see from the preview pages accompanying this announcement, he brings out the very best in Rick Remender's script, just as the writer coaxes the very best effort and imagination from Jon. Add Jordan's eye for colors, and the series really rocks! It's a great pairing, and we couldn't be happier."

Joseph Rybandt, Senior Editor of Dynamite Entertainment, says, "Rick is really the most powerful creative force working in comics today; from his Marvel work to his creator-owned work, he defines the craft and works harder than almost any other creator out there. He's hands-on and brings everyone up a level in their game, that's for sure.  Devolution will sit alongside his other creations quite nicely, both in terms of his writing and his artistic collaboration."

Rick Remender has written/co-created comics such as Deadly Class, LOW, Black Science, Tokyo Ghost, Fear Agent, Strange Girl and  Last Days of American Crime. For Marvel, he has written titles such as  Uncanny Avengers, Captain America, Uncanny X-Force, Secret Avengers, Punisher, Doctor Voodoo and Venom. Outside of comics, he has served as lead writer on EA/EPIC/PCF's  Bulletstorm game and was a writer on the Electronic Arts game  Dead Space. Prior to this, Remender served as an animator on films such as The Iron Giant, Anastasia, Titan A.E. and Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Jonathan Wayshak (frequently stylized as "WAY$HAK) has worked as a freelance illustrator and painter since 1996. He is perhaps best known to the comic book industry for his artwork on Ferryman, a five-issue series published by DC Comics/Wildstorm in 2008. He also contributed artwork for the celebrated Wildstorm superhero series, The Authority. His artwork graced the covers of Lost Boys: Reign of Frogs, and in addition to his contributions to numerous indie publications, he has contributed pin-up artwork to Bloodstream, Gutwrencher and Outlaw Territory.

I think Rick Remender has a title at every publisher in the world now. Has he missed any? Anyway, Dynamite seems excited about this one, if the size of the press release is any indication.

THE ENVELOPE MANUFACTURER

Publisher: DRAWN & QUARTERLY

Writer/Art/Cover: CHRIS OLIVEROS

Paperback • 104 pages • 6.25" x 7.25" • B&W • $16.95 US/$19.95 CAN

An account of obsolete machinery and outmoded business planning.

The Envelope Manufacturer documents the hardships and gradual disintegration of an independent small business. The book begins as the head of the manufacturing company is already deep in financial straits: he struggles to deal with a series of late payments and dwindling orders. The pressures begin to affect him psychologically and it grows ever harder to distinguish between reality and his imaginings. Set in the mid twentieth century, just before globalization moved production of goods overseas, The Envelope Manufacturer chronicles the gradual demise of a small company as it struggles to adapt to a changing economic landscape.

Here's another artsy-fartsy book. Roll those dice!

THE FAIRY TALES OF OSCAR WILDE V. 5: THE HAPPY PRINCE

Publisher: NBM PUBLISHING

Adaptation/Art: P. CRAIG RUSSELL

8 ½ x 11, 32pp., full color trade pb., $8.99

Now in paperback!

The Happy Prince is arguably the most famous and well loved of Oscar Wilde's nine fairy tales, rivaled only by The Selfish Giant. It is also a very timely tale at a time of controversy over the increasing chasm between rich and poor. The Happy Prince has lived a life of opulence but has died young and his soul inhabits a beautiful ruby-encrusted statue covered all over in gold leaf. From his perch high above the city he is witness to all the poverty, misery and hopelessness in which his people have been living. When a small barn swallow in flight to the warm south ahead of the approaching winter stops to rest upon the statue the Happy Prince prevails upon him to delay his travels in order to remove his gold leaf a piece at a time and shower it upon the poor citizens. Out of love for the Happy Prince the swallow does his bidding. As the days pass the Prince's beauty is stripped away and as winter sets in the bird's fate is sealed. In the spring the townspeople, finding only a dull statue with a broken lead heart and a dead bird, consign the worthless objects to the ash heap. Only an emissary of God recognizes them as the most valuable treasures of the city and brings them to the gardens of heaven.

"Russell’s admiration and respect for this tale shines brilliantly. Russell’s style is evocative of earlier illustrators and illustrative styles, echoing art nouveau styles and the splendour of Arthur Rackham. The story is a treat as well as a treatise for contemporary readers of all ages." -- No Flying No Tights

"Russell’s illustrations slip delicately between the terrific pain the prince sees and the fragile joy the bird helps him deliver." -- Teacher Librarian

"Russell’s elegant, glowing, art nouveau–influenced illustration, which recalls both Maxfield Parrish and Arthur Rackham, fits the tale perfectly. A work of adaptation that it’s hard to think could be bettered." -- Booklist

"Lovingly, beautifully crafted. Arguably the most beautiful graphic album of 2012. My regard for this wonderful book comes from deep within my soul, and I recommend it without hesitation or restraint." -- Tony Isabella, Comics Buyers Guide

"Skillfully using perspective, angle, and shadow, Russell portrays the emotions and humanity of the Happy Prince while never letting readers forget that he is a statue. A lovely adaptation." -School Library Journal

"A visual delight, capturing the writer's blend of wit and sentimentality with Russell's usual fine-lined grace. As apt today as it was when Wilde first crafted it in the Victorian Era, The Happy Prince is a lovingly depicted parable of Christian charity that deserves to be revived in this era of celebrated selfishness." -- Bill Sherman, Seattle Post Intelligencer

"The timing of this book couldn’t be better, speaking as it does to what the citizens of a well-off community value, and how they shirk social responsibility. The lesson is plain, yet sensitively and elegantly rendered." -- The Onion/AV Club

"Smartly adapted by master craftsman Russell. Conveyed with great heart." -- Richard Pachter, Miami Herald

"Well worth the wait. As usual, Russell's art is transcendent, transporting the reader to a world where even trash dumps have their own textured, fine-lined beauty. This story of heroic altruism and the gap between rich and poor is of special relevance today, where it's reflected in the Occupy Wall Street movement and presidential politics." -- Andrew Smith, Tribune Content Agency

"Russell’s sensitive, belle epoque–inspired artwork brings the story to life with a matched sensibility that makes other comics adaptations look clumsy." -- Publishers Weekly starred review

"Russell’s illustrations provide impressive visions of the descriptions the prince and the swallow share. All together, it makes for a feast for the eyes of many of the extremes of our world — artistic accomplishment (the gilded statue), natural beauty (the bird and the reed), faraway lands (the swallow’s Egyptian dreams), and the ups and downs of home (those living among us who need help)." – Comics Worth Reading

" An outstanding piece of work, well worth your time and money, whether you’re a Wilde fan, a Russell fan, or just want to try something new." – Comics Waiting Room

"The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde Vol. 5: The Happy Prince is another triumph for both Russell and NBM. Russell’s art is never one to be missed, and The Happy Prince is no exception. Highly recommended, for readers of all ages." – Read About Comics

" Russell manages to capture the tone of the fairy tale perfectly, neither letting Wilde do most of the heavy lifting nor leaving so much out that the original author seems ill-served. Would that all literary to comic adaptations could be so graceful." – Robot 6

P. Craig Russell Video Blogs

I trust Andrew Smith's recommendations -- his taste and mine seem to be very similar. Still one of the most depressing fairy tales ever, but man, you can't beat that P. Craig Russell art. Gorgeous.

HANGMAN #2

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: FRANK TIERI

Art: FELIX RUIZ

Cover: TIM BRADSTREET

Variant Cover: MIKE HUDDLESTON

32-page, full color comic

$3.99 U.S.

Join us as we embark on the highway to Hell—and a meet and greet with its overlord, the devil himself! Who will be the one ultimately taking this horrifying trip? Find out as we learn the truth about who and what the Hangman actually is... and the shocking legacy that accompanies him.

The first issue ended with a cliffhanger, but I think most fans will have figured out who's destined for the Hangman curse. And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

HEROCORP KNIGHTS #1

Publisher: OVERGROUND COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JON HUGHES

$3.99

In a world full of extraordinary people, HeroCorp is the source of that power, and they give it freely to anyone who will join them. Creating heroes leads to great profits, but also to a singular event that may destroy them in the process!

Another first issue! And as a dystopic superhero tale, it's in a popular genre, one that currently includes Gail Simone's Surviving Megalopolis and Mark Waid's Empire. That's pretty stiff competition!

IMPERIUM #12

Written by JOSHUA DYSART

Art by CAFU

Cover A by CAFU

Cover B by HOWARD CHAYKIN

Variant Cover by JEFTE PALO

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On sale JANUARY 20

“THE VINE IMPERATIVE” – FINALE! Spy vs. superhuman!

Toyo Harada’s utopian ambition has been shaken to the depths by a decades-old enemy. Since the day Harada began accruing power, the undercover agents of the

Vine’s alien empire have watched…and waited. Years later, as Harada strives to reshape the global economy, establish governments friendly to his goals, and gift the ability of space travel to all humankind, the Vine want him put in check – permanently. Now, with saboteurs riddling his organization and the alien assassin called LV-99 slavering to snap his master’s neck…are the Vine about to succeed?

This is Super-Villain Team-Up/Secret Society of Super-Villains done right.

LOLA XOXO VOL 1 (TPB)

Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC

Writer / Art / Cover: SIYA OUM

$14.99

CUTTHROAT... SAVAGE... BRUTAL... THE WASTELAND IS NOT READY FOR HER. In the "Wasteland", Lola, a fierce and resilient woman with a resolve fortified by a lifetime of survival on her own, must journey across the nuclear-decimated United States in order to find the family that was taken from her. As her quest for the truth begins, Lola uncovers the true inhumanity of the Apocalypse, as those who seek to hold power in a new frontier will do so at all bloody costs--including her life! Siya Oum's first created series is collected in its entirety, including a comprehensive cover gallery, concept art, and a whole lot more. Don't miss out on the Lola XOXO Volume 1: The Journey Home TP!

I'm not a woman, obviously, but I think if I was, and had a figure like that, I'd dress differently when crossing an irradiated wasteland full of nasty killers and rapists. Heck, even as a guy, I'd still cover up just as protection from the elements, protection during combat and protection from, you know, the radiation. Or is this one of those post-nuclear-apocalypse books which mysteriously wishes away the fallout that would wipe out all life on Earth? Yeah, probably so.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MAN PLUS #1 (of 4)

1936741575?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936743704?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936745757?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801574329?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936745788?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer/Arist: ANDRÉ LIMA ARAÚJO

32 pages / FC / $3.99

Titan Comics  ​are thrilled to announce the launch of new ​ creator-owned mini-series ​ Man Plus, from ​ Avengers A.I. and Spider-Verse artist​ André Lima Araújo !​

This four-part series is a​  wildly imaginative dystopian science-fiction in the vein of The Terminator and Ghost In A Shell.​

Welcome to Olissipo City -- a shimmering metropolis where technology rules with a heavy hand, cyborg strike teams are commonplace, and the lines between man and machine grow hazier every day.

From artist/writer André Lima Araújo comes this high-octane dystopian thriller that whisks the reader into the thick of a robotic skirmish and the unsettling conspiracy that lies at its heart.

Issue #1 comes with three covers to collect by André Lima Araújo, Ryan Stegman and Yishan Li.

“Ambitious and accomplished“ -- Mark Waid

“It’s pure. It’s unfiltered. You are in for such a treat” -- Jonathan Hickman

“An inspired head trip” -- Rick Remender

“One of the most exciting artists in comics” -- Kieron Gillen

"Really awesome" -- Ryan Stegman

“Gorgeous and unnerving ... Araújo is a mad scientist ...” -- Sam Humphries

They're too late with this. Didn't Skynet become self-aware a couple of years ago?

THE PHANTOM COMPLETE DAILIES VOL 9 1949 -1950 (HC)

1936748414?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: HERMES PRESS

Writer: LEE FALK

Art/Cover: WILSON MCCOY

$50.00

The critically acclaimed, best-selling complete reprint of The Phantom continues! The daily version of The Phantom ran separately from the Sundays until the "Fathers and Sons" storyline. Starting with that story, which began on February 21, 1949 and ending with "The Ape Idol of the Durugu" concluding on May 6, 1950 the continuities ran together, so that is how Hermes Press is presenting them!  The Sundays are being produced directly from the black-and-white King Features press proofs. Included in this volume are three complete continuities (including the Sundays in their black-and-white versions), reprinted for the first time in their entirety, "Fathers and Sons," "The Flirtatious Princess" and "The Thuggees."

Sigh. There goes another 50 bucks. Worth it, though!

PLUS ULTRA #1

1936748512?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: OVERGROUND COMICS

Writer: JON HUGHES

Art/Cover: MATTHEW WELDON

$3.99

A book that takes on the hot button issue of how the female hero is portrayed in comics. Plus Ultra markets herself with her looks and her body, and sex sells, but is it worth losing the respect of her community? The evolution of a hero begins in issue one!

A great many books have already played with this topic , and one with a similar name -- the Dabel Bros.' Ultra at Image Comics -- dealt with it pretty extensively. So I don't think this book is as edgy and original as the creators probably think it is. But it could say something new -- it's a pretty big topic.

RELIGION, A DISCOVERY IN COMICS (HC)

1936750081?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: NBM PUBLISHING

Writer/Art/Cover: MARGREET DE HEER

8x8, 120pp. full color hc., $17.99

1936750182?profile=RESIZE_180x180The author of the bestselling Discovery in Comics series, including on Science and Philosophy, tackles a very sensitive subject. Dealing with religion often means walking on eggshells - that is what comic artist Margreet de Heer finds out in this book in which she presents the five major religions and modern spirituality in a colorful, personal yet serious manner. She explores religious history and practices with tact and an open mind, but can’t prevent a few eggs from breaking. Why is religion such a sensitive subject?

This book in comics is fun and informative for believers, non-believers and everyone in between. It offers a fresh look from different perspectives on the phenomenon of religion, the backgrounds and history of the five major world religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism) and makes the point that religion is something that should unite us, not drive us apart.

A Graphic Novel Reporter Fall pick

"4 out 5 stars. Refreshing in honesty and openness." -- San Francisco Book Review

"As playfully thoughtful and respectful as her two previous Discoveries in Comics." -- Bill Sherman, Blogcritics

"A perfect opportunity to find an overview." -- San Diego Book Review

"Eyebrow-raising, forward-thinking, and thought-provoking." -- Midwest Book Review

"A tidy introduction to beginning students of religious studies." -- Booklist

"Lively, intelligent survey of the world's major religions. Wonderful; a beautiful little book, with clever design, witty cartooning, and splendid use of color." -- Publishers Weekly

Margaret de Heer Video Blogs

Here's another book I have a review copy of that I didn't have time to read. But I have enjoyed the previous entries in this series. De Heers has a knack for delivering complicated information in an easy-to-digest, humorous way.

STREET FIGHTER™ UNLIMITED #2

1936750503?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936750620?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936752790?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936754886?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936759611?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: UDON ENTERTAINMENT INC

Writer: KEN SIU-CHONG

Art: JOE NG, JEFFREY CHAMBA CRUZ

Cover A (Story Cover): GONZALO “GENZOMAN” ORDONEZ ARIAS

Cover B (Ultra Jam Variant): JEFFREY “CHAMBA” CRUZ

Cover C (Homage Variant/Wrap): EDWIN HUANG

Cover D (Street Fighter™ V variant): STEVEN “KANDOKEN” MACK

32pg, Full Color, $3.99

Guile and friends are on the hunt for the truth about Gill's Secret Society, but the answers they want lay with an old enemy - Balrog, the blood-crazed boxer! Plus, a bonus story featuring a pair of science experiments gone wrong - the mysterious Necro and Effie!

Joining the regular team of writer Ken Siu-chong and artist Joe Ng, is long-time UDON artist Jeffrey “Chamba” Cruz illustrating a 4-page bonus story.

This issue’s standard covers  include CVR A (Story cover) by Gonzalo “Genzoman” Ordonez Arias, and CVR B (Ultra Jam variant) which continues the 12-part connecting image drawn by Jeffrey “Chamba” Cruz.

This issue also features two retailer incentive covers. CVR C (Homage variant) features wraparound artwork by Edwin Huang, paying tribute to a classic comic cover from the 1990s. CVR D (Street Fighter™ V variant) by artist Steven “Kandoken” Mack showcase’s the villainous M.Bison in his new Street Fighter™ V form. Ask your local comics retailer about how to obtain these rare incentive covers!

Check out that homage to the Age of Apocalypse X-Men Alpha from '92 (above left)!

SWORDS OF SORROW: THE COMPLETE SAGA (TPB)

1936760963?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writer: GAIL SIMONE, MAIRGHREAD SCOTT, NANCY A. COLLINS, G. WILLOW WILSON, ERICA SCHULTZ, LEAH MOORE, MARGUERITE BENNETT, EMMA BEEBY, MIKKI KENDAL

Art: SERGIO DAVILA, MIRKA ANDOLFO, DAVE ACOSTA, NOAH SALONGA, FRANCESCO MANNA, CRIZAM ZAMORA, ROD RODOLFO, RONILSON FREIRE

Cover: JENNY FRISON

Teen + / $49.99 / 504 pages

Dynamite's fiercest females appear in a massive genre-spanning crossover event featuring an all-star line-up of female authors, headlined by Gail Simone (Batgirl, Birds of Prey)! The ultimate pulp adventure features Vampirella, Dejah Thoris, Red Sonja, Purgatori, Lady Demon, Chastity, Jungle Girl, Jennifer Blood, Kato, Lady Zorro and many, many more! Villains and heroes from a dozen worlds and eras face off against a legendary evil that threatens all their homelands. Written by Gail Simone, Mairghread Scott, Nancy A. Collins, G. Willow Wilson, Erica Schultz, Leah Moore, Marguerite Bennett, Emma Beeby and Mikki Kendall, and featuring artwork by Sergio Davila, Mirka Andolfo, Dave Acosta, Noah Salonga, Francesco Manna, Crizam Zamora, Rod Rodolfo and Ronilson Freire!

The tentpole Swords of Sorrow mini by Simone was engaging, and I enjoyed it. The related minis were a mixed bag of varying quality, with Vampirella/Jenny Blood perhaps the best. So buyer beware on the omnibus, but definitely read the SoS series in some form.

UKIYO (HC)

1936761105?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: COMICMIX

Writer/Art/Cover: CARY POLKOVITZ

$75.00

UKIYO. The word conjures images of the lives of Japanese courtesans and the nobility, a life of excess and luxury. Or it can mean "sorrowful world." A "transitory world." An implication of a separate, illusory reality. A staging place for the afterlife. Author and illustrator Carl Polkovitz's UKIYO centers on an existence based on varying perceptions. Hallucinatory visuals tell a tale inspired by the rapidly advancing technologies of today's social media and global economic interconnectivity. UKIYO is a study in non-linear storytelling, drugs, online personas and obsession.

I'm guessing this falls into the "Surreal" category, which can either be a wild acid trip or completely incomprehensible. Let's hope for the former.

WILL EISNER'S SPIRIT #7

1936761223?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: MATT WAGNER

Art: DAN SCHKADE

Colors: BRENNAN WAGNER

Cover A: ERIC POWELL

Price: $3.99 /  Teen + / 32 pages

The Spirit's return to Central City stirs up both resentment and fear among the local crime scene, and mob boss Larson E. Jones soon sets a price on the blue-masked hero's life. Meanwhile, The Spirit himself tries to set things right in regards to his long-stalled romance with Ellen Dolan, and the detective team of Ebony White and Sammy Strunk dig up evidence that leads to a shadow corporation -- one acting as a front for the illicit activities of the mysterious international crime lord, Mikado Vaas! Eisner Award-winning author Matt Wagner continues his loving homage to one of comicdom's most iconic characters, all the while breaking new ground with the dynamic visual stylings of artist Dan Schkade and colorist Brennan Wagner.

This series has really perked up now that the titular character is actually in it. Duh!

WAKFU #2

1936763182?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936765049?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936767181?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: KAHEL

Art/Cover A&B: MIG & SATURAX

32 PP / FC / $3.99

In the Shako Park, Yugo and friends are having the time of their lives! There are so many rides and so much delicious food to eat! But little do they know that they are being watched by the park’s mysterious creator … and he has fallen in love with Princess Amalia!

I have no idea what a Wakfu is. But Titan was kind enough to send me a preview, so here it is.

WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #3

1936767372?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936770247?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936772499?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936772676?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936772635?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936774654?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936776777?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936772676?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936776905?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by RAUL ALLEN

Cover A by DAVID LAFUENTE

Cover B by RAUL ALLEN

Cover C by MARCOS MARTIN

Variant Cover by TOM FOWLER

Variant Cover by ADAM POLLINA

B&W Sketch Variant by DAVID LAFUENTE

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

Torn from the world he once knew, Gilad’s bone-breaking journey back to Earth and the people he was sworn to protect takes a brutal turn!

Putting all he holds dear on the line to save our world’s future, the Eternal Warrior prepares to confront the most nefarious adversary of all – but the cost of victory may be too steep.

Valiant superstars Robert Venditti (BOOK OF DEATH) and Raul Allen (Hawkeye) continue the Eternal Warrior’s perilous quest into the unknown reaches of the Valiant Universe!

As I said above, Book of Death made Eternal Warrior my favorite Valiant character. So I'm all over this.

• Cap said:

And, it should go without saying, a character we want to read about. Sometimes writers seem to forget that part.

That is something I always say. I don't care if a character is black, white, green, red, gay straight, male, female, automaton. Just make it interesting to me, and I'm in.

Cap said:

I haven't read the pre-Secret Wars Silver Surfer yet. Do I need to, Legionnaires?

I believe there are others on the board who,liked this series. As for me, I was able to read this for free at my LCS and I didn't make it past he first story arc. I just didn't do it for me.

You might have sold me on Book of Death I'll look for it next time I swing by the shop.

Is there a page count on the Book of Hope? 35 bucks seems pretty steep unless it is a good size book.

• Captain - The Cap A /Spidey / Inhumans trade is on my wish list too - for much the same reasons as you appear to have.
    I want to get in on (almost) the ground floor with the new/next Inhumans books (always felt they never quite hit their potential).
    Is this really going to be a good jumping-on point....anyone?

• The Fantagraphics site lists Book of Hope at 224 pages.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Cap said:

That is something I always say. I don't care if a character is black, white, green, red, gay straight, male, female, automaton. Just make it interesting to me, and I'm in.

Cap said:

I believe there are others on the board who,liked this series. As for me, I was able to read this for free at my LCS and I didn't make it past he first story arc. I just didn't do it for me.

You might have sold me on Book of Death I'll look for it next time I swing by the shop.

Is there a page count on the Book of Hope? 35 bucks seems pretty steep unless it is a good size book.

• "Nice job, Tim Seeley and Tom King, whoever you are!"

Tom King is the writer of Marvel's The Visions (which I really like).

I think (?) he's one of the guys who used to do "THe Knight Watchman" for Big Bang comics.

Origin-26-Sunday.gif

• "I haven't read the pre-Secret Wars Silver Surfer yet. Do I need to, Legionnaires?"

Prior to this whole slew of new number ones, Silver Surfer was one of only two Marvel's I had been reading. (The other one was Mard Waid's Daredevil.) It's by Dan Slott and Mike Allred, so don't expect it to be like Lee, Kirby, Buscema, et all. It's light-hearted but can be serious when you least ecpect it. One issue (I forget the exact one) explained the current cosmology of the Marvel Universe to my satisfaction and told me everything about "Secret Wars" I care to know. Seek the back issues out in tpb, but this new #1 promises to be a decent sampler of what the series is like. And here's a preview of a post from tomorrow: it's my "Pick of the Week."

• Cap - I have indeed now bought and read this one ....to answer your questions - it DOES feature a new group of young X-Men Inhumans being led  around by Medusa but they're not a very inspiring/original grouping.

Yes this IS the Red Raven of previous Marvel Continuity AND his continuity/origin/Inhumans link is pivital to the entire project - which I really liked.

Be warned, the art on each of the three chapters is widely different with some strange choices which almost derailed the book for me.

There are some wonderfully endearing sections, however, - Spider-Man's critique of the code-names of the youths is a treasure and his verbal sparring with Sam Wilson Captain America heartwarming.

There is an epilogue between Spidey and Medusa which is worth the admission price in my mind.

It is NOT and essential or important story/event but it IS a satisfying product.

Give it a go?

Cap said ----

Your turn to give me YOUR opinion. I'm tempted to buy this, in the hopes that some of the characters introduced here might inform some of the post-Secret Wars Inhumans titles, which are often filled with characters that appear new to me. Does it? Also, is the Red Raven here the same as the one back in The X-Men #44, and is he established as a viable character? Those would be two reasons for me to get this, if either are true.

Richard Mantle said:

Captain - The Cap A /Spidey / Inhumans trade is on my wish list too - for much the same reasons as you appear to have.
    I want to get in on (almost) the ground floor with the new/next Inhumans books (always felt they never quite hit their potential).
    Is this really going to be a good jumping-on point....anyone?

• You're talking me into it, Richard!

This reply was deleted.