Comics Guide for Jan. 27, 2016

DARK HORSE COMICS

COLDER TOSS THE BONES #5 (of 5)

Writer: PAUL TOBIN

Art/Cover: JUAN FERREYRA

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

The final issue!

Nimble Jack’s ravenous appetite for insanity has left Declan’s temperature at a dangerous low. Now Reece must face the terror of madness unarmed and alone. The disturbing conclusion to Colder: Toss the Bones!

“This is the best series on the stands right now. Not reading it would be insane.”—IG

Good lord! That's taking "injury to the eye motif" too far!

THE EC ARCHIVES: PANIC VOLUME 1 (HC)

Writer/Art/Cover: AL FELDSTEIN

Writer: NICK MEGLIN

Art: JACK DAVIS, JOE ORLANDO, JACK KAMEN, WALLY WOOD, BILL ELDER, BASIL WOLVERTON

Cover: CARLOS BADILLA

FC, 216 pages, $49.99, HC, 8 3/16” x 11”

Panic is on the attack! This volume reprints the first six issues of the madcap classic in glorious remastered color and assembles satires supreme from the splendid savvy of Sirs Al Feldstein, Jack Davis, Joe Orlando, Jack Kamen, Wally Wood, Bill Elder, and Basil Wolverton! Collects the complete Panic issues #1–6 in color for the first time in decades!

Includes the banned early issues!

I have never seen or read any issues of Panic. I'm kinda hoping reading this will be like finding a stash of early MADs I just didn't know about before.

GROO: FRIENDS AND FOES VOLUME 2 (TPB)

Writer/Art/Cover: SERGIO ARAGONÉS

Writer: MARK EVANIER

Letters: STAN SAKAI

Colors: TOM LUTH

FC, 96 pages, $14.99, TP, 7” x 10”

As the lunkheaded barbarian Groo continues his wandering journey, he stumbles across—and into—the wise Sage, the beautiful swordswoman Chakaal, Weaver and Scribe, and his own sister Grooella! The award-getting team of Sergio Aragonés and Mark Evanier deliver heaps of their patented silliness! Collects issues #5–8 of the greatest Groo series of 2015.

In this maxiseries, Groo has an adventure each issue with one of his supporting cast members. As noted above, these five issues feature Sage, Chakaal, Grooella, Weaver and Scribe. It's good Groo -- and good Groo is great comics -- but will we feel let down in future series that don't have so many guest stars? Well, that's a worry for another day -- I'm enjoying this one!

HELLBOY WINTER SPECIAL (ONE-SHOT)

Writers: MIKE MIGNOLA, CHRIS ROBERSON, CHELSEA CAIN, SCOTT ALLIE

Art MICHAEL WALSH, MICHAEL AVON OEMING, TIM SALE

Colors: DAVE STEWART

Cover: TIM SALE

Variant: MIKE MIGNOLA

FC, 36 pages, $3.99, One-shot

Chris Roberson’s and Tim Sale’s first work in the Mignolaverse!

Best-selling novelist Chelsea Cain writes and Michael Avon Oeming draws the first of three snowbound stories. Then Tim Sale visits Mignola’s prehistoric mythology, and in a lead-in to the upcoming issues of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1953, Hellboy explores a haunted mine in the barren wastes of Wyoming.

Mignolaverse debuts by Tim Sale (Captain America: White), Michael Walsh (Secret Avengers), Chris Roberson (iZombie), and Chelsea Cain (Heartsick, One Kick)!

DH didn't send a review copy of this, but I'm assuming it will be as good as the rest of this series, which has been awfully good.

DC COMICS

COLORING BOOK VARIANT COVERS

This week's variants are Aquaman #48, Cyborg #7, Deathstroke #14, Grayson #16, Superman #48, Teen Titans #16.

BATMAN: THE JIRO KUWATA BATMANGA VOL. 3 (TPB)

Written by JIRO KUWATA

Art and cover by JIRO KUWATA

336 pg, B&W, 3 of 3, $14.99 US

Jiro Kuwata’s classic take on the Caped Crusader continues! In this final BATMANGA volume, Batman and Robin take on villains including Planet King—a criminal with seemingly infinite powers, plus the Robot Robbers, Clayface, Catman and more!

I got the collection of this series that came out decades ago, which (I think) corresponds to the first volume of this series. At the time, I figured that's all there was. I had no idea there were so many of them! They're OK, but what stands out to me are all the Joe Giella swipes! (Who swipes Joe Giella?!??)

DC COMICS ADULT COLORING BOOKS COLORED PENCIL SET

Publisher: DC COMICS

To go with this month's Adult Coloring Books variant covers, DC Comics offers a 12 color pencil set from Sargent Art at a net price of $2.00.

I'd have gone apesh*t over this at age 8. I don't know if kids today are quite so starved for entertainment, though ...

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: KEVIN O’NEILL GALLERY EDITION (HC)

184 pg, FC, 12” x 17”

$125.00 US • MATURE READERS

As the Victorian era draws to a close, Allan Quatermain, Captain Nemo, Hawley Griffin, Dr. Henry Jekyll, Mr. Edward Hyde and Mina Murray have been gathered together to save their nation. Now, the original adventures of this group have been collected and sourced from the original art for the first time ever in THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: KEVIN O’NEILL GALLERY EDITION.

This Smythe-sewn hardcover edition includes all of Kevin O’Neill’s artwork from the original six-issue THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN miniseries Vol. I, scanned in full color from the original art boards. Also included are the covers and various League artwork that showcase Kevin’s incredible craftsmanship.

Graphitti Designs’ Gallery Editions replicate the look, feel and attitude of the artwork. Every page is reproduced at original size on heavy paper stock to provide the fan and collector with museum-quality reproductions that are obtainable nowhere else.

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: KEVIN O’NEILL GALLERY EDITION captures the intricate art of Kevin’s artwork as never seen before. His collaboration with writer Alan Moore resulted in a timeless tale set in an era in desperate need of champions. A more enjoyable presentation of this fine tale has never before been seen.

SPOTLIGHT ON GALLERY EDITIONS

Each high-quality, Smythe-sewn hardcover book captures every detail of the art at actual-size, and is printed at 200 lines-per-inch screen on a rich, heavy paper stock. Replicating the original art experience is our goal. Graphitti Designs’ Gallery Edition are the next best thing to holding the original art in your hands—and easier on the wallet, too!

Niiiice.

SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: DEADSHOT/KATANA

Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO and MIKE W. BARR

Art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC, RICHARD FRIEND and DIOGENES NEVES

Cover A featuring DEADSHOT by CARY NORD

Cover B featuring KATANA by CARY NORD

48 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $4.99 US • RATED T

Two of the stars of next year’s highly anticipated action movie break out in their own solo adventures in this extra-sized, 6-issue miniseries!

First, in a story by Brian Buccellato, Viktor Bogdanovic and Richard Friend, Deadshot is on the run, taking on a series of new contracts, and re-establishing himself as the world’s most deadly marksman. But things are about to get complicated for Floyd Lawton when a figure from his past threatens to expose a dark secret…and Deadshot gets word of his next target: Lex Luthor!

Then, writer Mike W. Barr returns to the character he co-created in “Katana, Cult of the Kobra,” with art by Diogenes Neves. Katana needs to know more about Soultaker’s origin if she’s going to have any hope of controlling the sword instead of falling under its influence. Dr. Helga Jace, a Markovian astrophysicist, may be able to shed some light—but before Katana can get the info, Kobra’s forces attack!

I expect to see a lot of Suicide Squad product leading up to the movie. There's really no other reason for this oddball book to exist.

SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY DELUXE EDITION (HC)

Written by KURT BUSIEK

Art and cover by STUART IMMONEN

On sale JANUARY 13 • 224 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $29.99 US

SECRET IDENTITY stars a young man with the unfortunate name of Clark Kent. All he wants is to be a writer, but his life is filled with the taunts of his peers, comparing him to that other Clark Kent—the one with superpowers. Until Clark discovers that he can fly...that he does have super-strength! Collecting the 4-issue miniseries in DC’s Deluxe Edition format!

This is one of the best Superman stories I've ever read, even though it's not actually Superman. Trust me, if you haven't read it, you need to.

IDW PUBLISHING

GHOSTBUSTERS INTERNATIONAL #1

Writer: ERIK BURNHAM

Art/Cover: DAN SCHOENING

Subscription Variant CORIN HOWELL

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

There's something strange in the neighborhood ... and whether that neighborhood is in New York City or Venice, Italy, the Ghostbusters will be there! After a bust at the United Nations, the boys in gray are engaged to investigate an Old World haunting, where they begin to unravel a mystery that sends them around the globe (while still trying to keep their contract with the City, County, and State of New York!). Join us for the next chapter in Ghostbusters history — because you demanded it: GHOSTBUSTERS INTERNATIONAL!

• Just in time for the new movie! The third bombastic volume of IDW's smash-hit ongoing Ghostbusters series! Picking up right where Ghostbusters: Get Real, and the Ghostbusters Annual left off!

From the fan-favorite team of Erik Burnham, Dan Schoening and Luis Antonio Delgado!

I don't read any Ghostbusters, but here's a first-issue alert anyway.

NOS4A2: WRATH DELUXE EDITION

Writer: JOE HILL

Art/Cover: CHARLES PAUL WILSON III

HC w/slipcase • FC • $150.00 • 864 pages

This signed limited edition of Joe Hill’s classic-in-the-making novel, NOS4A2, is signed by Joe Hill and Charles Paul Wilson III, and hand-numbered to 999. This new collection will include the 176-page graphic novel prequel, Wraith. Exclusively for this collection, Wraith series artist, Charles Paul Wilson III has created 26 illustrations (13 color, 13 black and white) a new full-color dust jacket and a map of Christmasland that will be used as end pages. Wilson will also be personalizing each Christmasland-themed signature plate with a small original sketch inside a gruesomely twisted advent calendar. This oversized hardcover is packaged in an ornate hand-built cloth slipcase, and features a debossed cloth cover.

• Limited to 999 signed numbered hardcover copies, in hand built slipcases.

• Each Deluxe Edition comes with an original small sketch by Charles Paul Wilson III!

Another nice package. But I don't know anything about NOS4A2, aside from appreciating the pun (although I'd have spelled it NOS482). Anyone know if it's any good?

VICTORIE CITY #1

Writer: KEITH CARMACK

Art: VINCENT NAPPI (A)

Cover: BEN TEMPLESMITH

Subscription Variant VINCENT NAPPI

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

An all-new four-issue series in the vein of Se7en, writer Keith Carmack and artist Vincent Nappi mix thriller, mystery, and noir elements with a touch of horror in Victorie City. A young woman has gone missing, unidentifiable bodies are piling up at the morgue, and a lone wolf detective is about to stumble across an evil that no one in Victorie City is prepared for. Can the good in Detective Ness overcome a killer whose vicious acts grow to supernatural proportions?

• A hard-boiled detective story wrapped in a psychological thriller!

• In collaboration with 44FLOOD!

This was an interesting first issue, but I'm reserving opinion. There are at least three plot strands that haven't come together yet, so I can't make any judgments. And the art, while appropriately unnerving, is also a bit smudgy, so I keep confusing two balding, mustachioed men (well, I THINK they're different characters). I'll have to read it again in conjunction with the second issue to make a recommendation.

IMAGE COMICS

BLACK MAGICK #4

Writer: GREG RUCKA

Art/Cover A: NICOLA SCOTT

Cover B: MING DOYLE

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

“AWAKENING,” Part Four

A stranger arrives in Portsmouth.

Have I mentioned the awesome art on this series? Just so we're clear.

CRY HAVOC #1

Writer: SIMON SPURRIER

Art: RYAN KELLY

Cover A: RYAN KELLY & EMMA PRICE

Cover B: CAMERON STEWART

BEHOLD THE MODERN MONSTROSITY.

X-Men Legacy writer SIMON SPURRIER and superstar artist RYAN KELLY present fiends, fragility and firepower in an all-new series, mixing the hard-boiled militaria of Jarhead with the dark folklore of Pan's Labyrinth. Includes an unprecedented use of multiple colorists (MATT WILSON, LEE LOUGHRIDGE, & NICK FILARDI) to define the story's threads, and an incredible variant cover by Eisner Award winner CAMERON STEWART. This is not the tale of a lesbian werewolf who goes to war. Except it kind of is.

I don't remember the name, but there was another book with lesbian werewolves that launched a few months ago. You know, I have no problem with gay characters, but when you have so many that you have two lesbian werewolves, it starts to feel like a fad.

JUPITER’S CIRCLE, VOL. 2 #3 (of 6)

Writer: MARK MILLAR

Art: CHRIS SPROUSE

Cover A: BILL SIENKIEWICZ

Cover B: FRANK QUITELY

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

Skyfox was once a member of America's greatest super team—now he's kidnapped the Vice President in a bid to stop the Vietnam War.

Jupiter's Circle alert!

PROPHET: EARTH WAR #1

Story: BRANDON GRAHAM

Art: GIANNIS MILONOGIANNIS

Cover: SIMON ROY

24 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.99

THE EPIC CONCLUSION TO PROPHET BEGINS HERE!

A clone general goes against his Brain-Mother overlords to gain control of an alien egg. Beginning of the final six issue mini-series.

I have never read any Prophet, because it looks like one of the early Image superhero swipes of the '90s that someone's trying to make more "adult" instead of letting it die a well-deserved death. I'm probably wrong about that, but until I hear different, I probably won't read it. Anyway, first issue alert.

REVIVAL #36

Writer: TIM SEELEY

Art: MIKE NORTON

Cover: JENNY FRISON

REVIVAL STEPS OUT IN NEW STORY ARC

Issue #36 is a stand-alone before the new arc begins

New York Times bestselling writer Tim Seeley (HACK/SLASH) and Eisner Award-winning artist Mike Norton (IT GIRL & THE ATOMICS) will launch a special stand-alone issue in their ongoing rural noir series REVIVAL this January.

Previously in REVIVAL, the rural town of Wausau, Wisconsin was rocked by a vicious attack on its county courthouse, and Dana fought to protect Em from the scarred assassin Black Deer—casting a harsh light on the goings-on at The Farm in the process.

In REVIVAL #36, 98-year-old fitness guru Lester Majak reassesses what it means to live forever in a city full of the undead.

“Issue #36 focuses on one man's experience in Wausau, in the new status quo set up after issue #35,” said Seeley. “It's a bittersweet story about living with death when that doesn't mean what it used to.”

I haven't read any Revival since the first trade. I liked it fine, but it kept dragging out the first-issue mysteries, instead of explaining them and adding new mysteries, like good series do, and I began to get impatient for something to happen. I'll get back to it at some point, but for now it's a middle-of-the-stack book.

Anyway, Image sent out a press release, so here it is.

MARVEL COMICS

ARMOR WARS: WARZONES! (TPB)

Written by JAMES ROBINSON

Penciled by MARCIO TAKARA & MARK BAGLEY

Cover by PAUL RIVOCHE

136 PGS./Rated T+ …$16.99

Technopolis: an amazing domain of science and wonder created by the visionary genius of brothers Tony and Arno Stark. It’s a real-life utopia, save for one fact: Every resident must wear armor to protect them from a deadly disease. But this near-paradise may be shattered forever when one of its few super heroes is murdered! Can Baron Tony and this domain’s Thor — a hammer-wielding Jim Rhodes — find out who killed Spyder-Man before Technopolis is plunged into civil war? Wilson Fisk is tightening his iron grip on the city’s underbelly — will the Kingpin dethrone a certain genius philanthropist playboy? As the mystery behind the plight of Technopolis unfolds, cracks in Tony’s invincible armor are exposed — and the looming crisis could pit brother against brother. Collecting ARMOR WARS #1-5 and #1/2.

What y'all said:

WANDERING SENSEI

Issues #1-2: James Robinson and Marcio Takara are telling the story of a world where the entire population is dependent on Tony Stark's armor to protect them from some pathogen in the air. This is a dark world, and Takara's art is appropriate here; it's dark and angular. This story features Tony Stark, Jim Rhodes, Arno Stark, and Peter Urich as "Spyder-Man", who becomes unwittingly the focus of a mystery. I notice also that the combination of Iron Man armor and Thor looks a lot like DC's Steel. Also, Spyder-Man has a girlfriend named Kiri Flowers, and I have no idea if that is a pre-existing character or not.

Issue #3: I really like the story presented here by James Robinson and Marcio Takara. The mystery of the death of Spyder-Man leads to a battle between Tony and Arno Stark. I still think War Machine Thor looks an awful lot like DC's Steel. And I don't think I'd want Kiri to be a part of the mainline Marvel U (whatever they end up calling it), because she's pretty annoying.

Issue #4: Arno and Tony Stark are now on the same team as our affections shift over a little bit. By the end of this issue, Jim Rhodes (the Thor of this world) rallies his niece and the late Spyder-Man's girlfriend, Kiri, over to help him wage war against the Starks. It's kind of fun seeing various writers do things they had probably always wanted to do with Marvel characters, namely in this issue, killing Wilson Fisk. Another writer did the exact same thing--albeit much more gruesomely--over in Spider-Verse, I believe it was.

DETECTIVE 445

I wasn't sure exactly what to make of the first two issues of Armor Wars. I don't remember much about the original Armor Wars storylines but I'm pretty sure this tie-in doesn't have much to do with them. Nor does it seem to reference the Ultimate version done by Warren Ellis. Instead, this story seems (to me) to spring from a new dimension in which all of the citizens of Technopolis (New York?) have been infected with something and are forced to wear armor designed by Tony Stark in order to survive.

I'm not really sure what kind of feel James Robinson is going for with this.  The atmosphere is dark and tech-y with appropriately gritty art to match but the actual story is minimal. Robinson seems to have crammed a lot of unnecessary dialogue into many of the panels in order to give us a crash course in this new world. I'm not going to continue with this one.

One other aside. I get the feeling that many of these tie-in stories have moments which seem to point to some kind of mystery that needs to be solved. Hints are being dropped here and there that there may be something larger going on. Maybe this is part of some sort of common thread that will end up tying all the storylines together. Or, I could be reading too much into it.

INHUMANS: ATTILAN RISING (TPB)

Written by CHARLES SOULE

Penciled by JOHN TIMMS

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

112 PGS / Rated T+ / $16.99

There is a rebellion brewing on Battleworld, and it stretches far and wide into every domain. Medusa, ruler of Attilan, is tasked with scuttling this uprising with extreme prejudice. When she discovers that its leader is Black Bolt, things get complicated — but Medusa still has a job to do! She has uncovered and captured the leader of the Battleworld Resistance, and all she needs to do is interrogate him and give the information to her master, Doctor Doom. So what’s stopping her from doing so? As the Resistance makes its big push against Medusa’s royal rule, she finds more than she bargained for with Black Bolt: a new understanding. Will Medusa switch sides? If Black Bolt can convince her, the Resistance has its best shot to bring change to Battleworld! But will it come too late? Collecting INHUMANS: ATTILAN RISING #1-5.

Did any of our Secret Wars stalwarts read this one? And if so, is it something I need to read, or just more wheel-spinning involving characters that don't interest me?

OLD MAN LOGAN #1

Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art & Cover by ANDREA SORRENTINO

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Hip-Hop Variant by TIM BRADSTREET

Deadpool Variant by MIKE MCKONE

Variant Cover by MIKE DEODATO

40 PGS / Parental Advisory / $4.99

Sharpen your claws and prepare for the coming of a new kind of Wolverine. Straight out of the pages of Secret Wars comes an older, wiser and much more deadly Logan. And his adventure in the restored Marvel Universe begins as critically acclaimed creators Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino bring you OLD MAN LOGAN #1 – a brand new ongoing series! Decades from now, a day will come when the villains of the Marvel Universe will band together and rid the world of its heroes. Only Logan now remains, having committed an untold number of atrocities of his own.  But when he winds up in the Marvel Universe of today, he’ll finally get his chance to make his future right. By ANY MEANS NECESSARY. Can one man change history? Is the world ready for the return of Logan? Find out as he cuts a bloody swath through the Marvel Universe in OLD MAN LOGAN #1!

This was certainly an odd choice by Marvel: Kill off one of your most popular characters, and replace him with A) a female version and B) an old-man version. Come to think of it, they replaced Captain America with A) a black version and B) an old-man version. Hrm. I guess this is fuel-injected diversity? Well, I have to say I'll probably like this Wolvie better than the old one. I just couldn't root for a guy who ran a death squad.

THIS WEEK'S DEADPOOL

DEADPOOL THE MUSICAL #1

Reprinting DEADPOOL (2008) #49.1

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$1.00

DEADPOOL VARIANTS #1

Reprinting all your favorite Deadpool variants.

EVIL DEADPOOL #1

Reprinting Deadpool (2008) #45.

DEADPOOL & CABLE: SPLIT SECOND #2 (OF 3)

Writers: FABIAN NICIEZA & REILLY BROWN

Art/Cover: REILLY BROWN

• The Merc with the Mouth & the Soldier with the Scowl continue their time-hopping adventure!

• PLUS: Deadpool takes on a nigh-unbeatable foe—LOOP!

• Printing the 3rd & 4th chapter of the manic Marvel Infinite Comic!

40 PGS./Parental Advisory …$4.99

Needless to say, the cover to Deadpool & Cable: Split Second #2 is an homage to Back to the Future.

OTHER PUBLISHERS

ANGELARIUM: THE BOOK OF EMANATIONS

Publisher: MAGNETIC PRESS INC.

Writers: PETER MOHRBACHER, ELI MINAYA

Art/Cover: PETER MOHRBACHER

$24.99 / FC / 52 pages

Magnetic Press is excited to announce the solicitation of ANGELARIUM: BOOK OF EMANATIONS by the celebrated, master fantasy artists, Peter Mohrbacher & Eli Minaya. 

A stunning project unlike anything seen before, ANGELARIUM is a deeply mythic journey that weaves illustration, poetry, painting and prose into a singular, mind-bending narrative that takes us through the gates of the eleven angelic emanations that embody the Tree of Life. ANGELARIUM paints a world of sheer awe, unveiling unknowable symbolic entities that point towards an ancient, immutable truth: “As above, so below.”

Angelarium creator Peter Mohrbacher says of the project:

"The Book of Emanations is my first foray into illuminating the overarching story of Angelarium. Most of the pieces you've seen so far are small glimpses into the journey of Enoch. His is the story of the one person who has visited heaven without dying first. It's based off an apocryphal Old Testament chapter called The Book of Enoch. The chronicle of his ascent will be contrasted against the fall of the Grigori, a band of angels that descend to Earth and are ultimately destroyed by their own hubris. These stories have trickled down into popular culture before, but I'm amazed they've never been fulfilled the way so many other mythologies have.

Angelarium is not a series of illustrations. It's not an art book or a comic book. It's not a series of prints or figurines. It's a space where we can use metaphor to describe our shared experiences. This gives it the freedom to manifest in any medium and tell any number of stories."

This doesn't sound like my cup o' hemlock, but if you're into this sort of thing, it looks nicely done.

BEVERLY

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS

Writer/Art/Cover: NICK DRNASO

Paperback • 136 pages • 7.5" x 9.5" • full color • $21.95 USD/24.95 CAD

A darkly funny portrait of Middle America seen through the stunted minds of its children.

The modern lost souls of Beverly struggle with sexual anxieties that are just barely repressed and social insecurities that undermine every word they speak. Time passes, bodies change sizes, realities blur with fantasies, truths disintegrate, childhood comforts turn uncomfortable. Again and again, the civilized façades of Nick Drnaso’s pitch-perfect suburban landscapes crack in the face of violence and quiet brutality. Drnaso's debut graphic novel leaves you haunted and squirming and longing for more.

Fantagraphics sent a press release, so here you go.

BLOODSHOT REBORN #10

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art by LEWIS LAROSA

Cover A by LEWIS LAROSA

Cover B by RYAN SOOK

Cover C by DAVE JOHNSON

Cover D JEFFREY VERGGE

Variant Cover by TULA LOTAY

Variant Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE

B&W Sketch Variant by LEWIS LAROSA

Valiant Linewide Variant by JEFF LEMIRE

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

ALL-NEW ARC! ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT! WHO OR WHAT IS …“THE ANALOG MAN”?

Valiant is proud to announce THE ANALOG MAN – a new four-part bombshell beginning in BLOODSHOT REBORN #10 from New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire (THE VALIANT, Extraordinary X-Men) and blockbuster artist Lewis LaRosa (The Punisher)! This January, Valiant's smash-hit ongoing series leaps forward 30 years into the future to reveal a world where Bloodshot is no longer the height of technological achievement … and the heroes of the Valiant Universe have given way to a ravaged and inhospitable wasteland ...

Many years from now, Los Angeles has become a post-apocalyptic no-man's land and the once unstoppable killing machine known as Bloodshot has become THE ANALOG MAN. Hopelessly outdated, Bloodshot’s taken on a new role as the protector of a small town, eking out a subsistence existence with the great love of his life – Magic – and protecting a group of stragglers who’ve weathered the storm. But when a gang of marauders arrives, the settlement’s survival is threatened, and Bloodshot is forced to bring justice to the distorted and disjointed badlands of the Valiant Universe!

“Bloodshot has found some peace at last. Or at least he thinks he has,” writer Jeff Lemire told io9. “And then, of course, I’m going to rip that all away from the poor guy and send him on an adventure like none he’s ever had before … [and] it looks amazing. Lewis LaRosa is doing career-defining work. Wait until you see it! Monster trucks, Shadowmen, Ninjak, old Bloodshot. He nails it all.”

THE ANALOG MAN will also mark the first full-length story arc in nearly a decade from acclaimed artist Lewis LaRosa – a penciller renowned for his incredibly lifelike characters, intricate detail and dynamic storytelling. Noted for his acclaimed runs on The Punisher, Immortal Iron Fist, Amazing Spider-Man and more, LaRosa is one of Valiant’s most prolific cover artists, having previously contributed to hit series including BLOODSHOT, NINJAK, UNITY, X-O MANOWAR and many others. THE ANALOG MAN will mark his first complete storyline for Valiant Entertainment.

"Over the coming year, BLOODSHOT REBORN is going to be building towards a critical moment that has widespread implications for all of Valiant's biggest heroes. That road begins in THE ANALOG MAN – a widescreen action epic that is every bit as searing and intensely electrifying as a full-blown summer blockbuster," said Valiant Editor-in-Chief, Warren Simons. "Jeff Lemire and Lewis LaRosa are firing on all cylinders and outdoing themselves with each new issue that comes in. Simply put, this is one of the most formidable creative teams anywhere in comics."

This January, jump forward into the gasoline-soaked future of the Valiant Universe when Jeff Lemire and Lewis LaRosa kick THE ANALOG MAN into gear with an all-new jumping-on point for Project Rising Spirit’s state-of-the-art soldier! Featuring covers from a murderer’s row of the biggest talents in comics – including Larosa, Ryan Sook (Wednesday Comics), Dave Johnson (Superman: Red Son), Jeffrey Veregge (Red Wolf), Tula Lotay (Supreme: Blue Rose), David Lafuente (Ultimate Spider-Man) and Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth) – the pivotal next chapter of Bloodshot’s devastating path to redemption starts here, only in BLOODSHOT REBORN #10.

To find out more about THE ANALOG MAN, join an all-star panel of Valiant creators and staff at New York Comic-Con 2015 on Saturday, October 10th at 5:15 pm ET for the 25 YEARS OF VALIANT: BOOK OF DEATH AND BEYOND panel presentation, featuring even more news and announcements live from NYCC 2015!

VALIANT PRESTIGE FORMAT

Valiant is proud to announce that all issues of "THE ANALOG MAN" – the all-new, four-part bombshell beginning in January’s BLOODSHOT REBORN #10 by New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire and blockbuster artist Lewis LaRosa – will debut in the publisher's deluxe VALIANT PRESTIGE format!

A special, ad-free presentation featuring laminate card-stock covers and custom-designed heavyweight end sheets for the standard $3.99 cover price, VALIANT PRESTIGE is a high-end treatment reserved for Valiant’s most high-profile new releases. Following in the footsteps of previous VALIANT PRESTIGE releases, including THE VALIANT by Jeff Lemire, Matt Kindt & Paolo Rivera and DIVINITY by Matt Kindt & Trevor Hairsine, BLOODSHOT REBORN #10 rushes into stores everywhere on January 27th to mark the beginning of a pivotal new jumping-on point that must be seen to be believed.

"'THE ANALOG MAN' is a milestone for one of Valiant’s biggest characters, due in no small part to the positively jaw-dropping artwork of Lewis LaRosa. There simply aren't any other comics on the stands that look this good or feel this epic,” said Valiant Publisher Fred Pierce. “Not only is BLOODSHOT REBORN #10 a perfect jumping-on point for new readers, it's an example of comic book storytelling at its finest. Jeff Lemire and Lewis LaRosa are throwing off sparks with each new page that comes in and we knew right away that nothing short of the acclaimed VALIANT PRESTIGE format would give THE ANALOG MAN the blockbuster treatment it deserves."

This is, like, the third or fourth apocalyptic future Valiant has posited. That's not new -- see "Age of Apocalypse," "Days of Future Past," etc. -- but it certainly ratchets up the drama. Characters can die, get married, get old, lose limbs and so forth. And how much do today's characters know of these futures, and can they avoid them?

BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF THE VALIANT UNIVERSE (TPB)

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by JEFF LEMIRE, MATT KINDT, JOSHUA DYSART and ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE, TREVOR HAIRSINE, KANO and CLAYTON HENRY

Cover by CARY NORD

$14.99 | 112 pgs. | T+ | TRADE PAPERBACK

So let it be written, so let it be done …

The dawn of the new Dark Age foretold in BOOK OF DEATH continues right here with a glimpse into the future of the Valiant Universe in four visionary tales of present and future ripped directly from the pages of the Book of the Geomancer!  An all-star cast of creators comes aboard the year’s monumental comics event to chronicle the ultimate fate of Valiant’s most indelible heroes. From the modern day to the far future, the destinies of Bloodshot, Ninjak, the Harbinger Renegades, X-O Manowar, and more will stand revealed in these four essential, standalone chapters at the epicenter of the blockbuster Valiant event of the year.

Join Jeff Lemire (BLOODSHOT REBORN), Matt Kindt (NINJAK), Joshua Dysart(HARBINGER), and Robert Venditti (X-O MANOWAR) and superstar artistsDoug Braithwaite (ARMOR HUNTERS), Trevor Hairsine (DIVINITY), Kano (THE DELINQUENTS), and Clayton Henry (ARCHER & ARMSTRONG), as they foretell the deadly future and final days of the greatest heroes of the Valiant Universe.

Collecting: BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF BLOODSHOT #1, BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF NINJAK #1, BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF HARBINGER #1, and BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF X-O MANOWAR #1.

Here's one of the possible futures. Normally I get depressed when reading stories where everybody dies, but this was very well done, with some of the deaths being at an appropriate age and with a blaze of glory. So that's kinda reassuring.

CLASSIC ILLUSTRATED: AROUND WORLD 80 DAYS (TPB)

Publisher: CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED

Writer: JULES VERNE

Art: HENRY C. KIEFER

$9.95

Jules Verne's tale of Phileas Fogg and his bet to travel around the world in 80 days. Classics Illustrated tells this wonderful tale in colorful comic strip form, providing an excellent introduction for younger readers. Also includes theme discussions and study questions.

Boy, this brings back memories! I only have a few issues of Classics Illustrated from the 1960s, but this was one of them. It probably wasn't very good -- none of them were -- but I'm surprised to see this at all. The last few publishers to have the Classics Illustrated franchise were doing new ones, instead of reprinting the old ones. But here's a company calling itself "Classics Illustrated" and doing just that. Who are these people, and do they plan more?

CURB STOMP (TPB)

Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: RYAN FERRIER

Art: DEVAKI NEOGI

Cover: TULA LOTAY

$14.99

What's to Love: Punk rock isn't dead...yet. Turf wars, breaking rules, crushing violence, and Black Flag-these are a few of our favorite things, and Curb Stomp straight-up knocks our teeth out (in a good way). It's an unflinching, visceral look at the lengths one woman will go to protect her friends, her family, and her home-perfect for fans of Rat Queens and the seminal '70s cult-favorite film The Warriors.

What It Is: Three gangs. Five girls. No way out. Machete Betty leads a small gang of women under the self-appointed task of protecting their home of Old Beach, one of three boroughs surrounding a rich metropolitan city. When Betty takes the life of a rival gang member in an act of self-defense, she sets off a chain reaction of retaliation, gang warfare, and unlikely allies. It's up to the The Fever-Machete Betty, Derby Girl, Bloody Mary, Daisy Chain, and Violet Volt-to defend their turf at all costs. Collects the complete four-issue limited series.

Porbably just 10 years ago this would have been an all-male cast. Now it's all-female, and nobody will blink an eye. It truly is a new day.

CYBERINES #1

Publisher: RED ANVIL INC

Writers: ROBERT J. SODARO, JOE MARTINO

Art: CORY HAMSCHER, POW RODRIX

Cover: CORY HAMSCHER

$3.99

Cyberines takes us to the next step of human evolution. We delve into the past of what turned one of the Cyberines into a deadly enemy. Was he always destined to be? We also introduce a new "Villain." The Persian freedom fighter Sirocco. Is he friend, or the worst type of foe?

That art looks like a cross between Rob Liefeld and Sal Buscema to me, with a touch of George Tuska. That doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm. (Who swipes George Tuska?!??)

FAITH #1 (of 4)

Written by JODY HOUSER

Art by FRANCIS PORTELA and MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Cover A by JELENA KEVIC-DJURDJEVIC

Cover B by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Valiant x CGC Replica Variant by CLAYTON HENRY

Variant Cover by KANO

Variant Cover by COLLEEN COOVER

Blank Cover also available

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

VALIANT’S MOST DEMANDED HERO STEPS OUT OF HARBINGER … AND INTO AN ALL-NEW ADVENTURE!

Valiant is proud to announce FAITH #1 (of 4) – the FIRST ISSUE of a stratospheric new limited series launching the teenage heart and soul of the Harbinger Renegades, Faith “Zephyr” Herbert, into her first-ever solo adventure from rising star Jody Houser (Orphan Black) and explosive artists Francis Portela (Green Lantern) and Marguerite Sauvage (DC Comics Bombshells)!

“Faith is one of the most unique characters in comics – a sci-fi loving, Firefly-quoting fangirl that wound up standing shoulder-to-shoulder alongside some of the most powerful superheroes on Earth, who, at the end of the day, might just prove herself to be the bravest of them all,” said Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons. “Since she first stepped off the page in HARBINGER through HARBINGER WARS, UNITY, and ARMOR HUNTERS, fans far and wide have demanded that she be given her time to shine in the spotlight. Fortunately, Jody, Francis, and Marguerite are the perfect team to give Faith the leading role she deserves with a fast and fun-filled series that will establish her once and for all as one of Valiant’s leading lights.”

Orphaned at a young age, Faith Herbert – a psionically gifted “psiot” discovered by the Harbinger Foundation – has always aspired to greatness. But now this once ordinary teenager is taking control of her destiny and becoming the hard-hitting hero she’s always known she can be – complete with a mild-mannered secret identity, unsuspecting colleagues, and a day job as a reporter that routinely throws into her harms way! Well, at least she thought it would… When she’s not typing up listicals about cat videos, Faith makes a secret transformation to patrol the night as the City of Angels’ own leading superhero – the sky-soaring Zephyr!

But flying solo is going to be tougher than Zephyr ever thought when she uncovers a deep-rooted alien conspiracy. Two-bit burglars and car thieves are one thing, but when the world needs a hero to stave off a full-blown extraterrestrial invasion, will Faith find herself in over her head…or ready for her biggest challenge yet?

"I've been hearing from women who are in their 20s and 30s and 40s who have been reading comics for decades who have never seen a woman on the cover of a comic that looks like them," series writer Jody Houser told People. "And I think [Faith] makes people feel like they're welcome in comics, and that this medium is for them, when, maybe they've always loved comics but they haven't felt welcome before is a huge thing."

On January 27th, find out why L.A.'s newest guardian is shooting for greatness…and already breaking out with fans and critics as one of the most talked-about heroes of the New Year:

"A bright beacon of hope in an often-dire superhero landscape." – The Onion/A.V Club

"She’s smart, gregarious and an unapologetic nerd – the essential components for true badassery." – MTV.com

“[FAITH] is a very real kind of fantasy protagonist – and a perfect role model.” – The Guardian

"An awesome, crime-stopping superhero.” – People

"[FAITH] is restoring our faith in female comic book heroes." – InStyle

"In the 2015 superhero comics landscape, Valiant’s FAITH stands alone." – The Beat

On January 27th, get ready to...#FLYLIKEFAITH!

This really is an original, engaging and fun character. And, yes, she's fat. But very light on her feet!

JUNGLE GIRL SEASON 3 (TPG)

Writer: FRANK CHO, DOUG MURRAY

Artist: JACK JADSON

Cover: FRANK CHO

FC • 112 pages • $15.99 • Teen+

COLLECTS ISSUES 1-4!

The Lost World is doomed! When a tear in the dimensional fabric opens over the forbidden God Mountain, the brave and cunning Jana must rescue her friends Togg and Mike Mize from flaming debris, stampeding dinosaurs and bloodthirsty tribesmen. Can the intrepid Jungle Girl overcome the chaos caused by the fearsome otherworldly deities known as The Old Ones? Her only salvation, a powerful artifact of alien origin, resides within the Temple of the Dirt People ... a journey that will not only lead Jana to horrors undreamt, but also to a terrible revelation about the man she loves most: her father!

Acclaimed storyteller Frank Cho (Savage Wolverine, Liberty Meadows) returns to Jungle Girl for its epic third act, co-written by Doug Murray (The ‘Nam) and featuring artwork by Jack Jadson (The Savage Hawkman)!

I read the entirety of Liberty Meadows, and came away with two lasting impressions: 1) I am really impressed with Frank Cho's art. 2) I am not impressed at all with Frank Cho's writing. So here's a series with Cho writing and not drawing -- precisely the opposite of what I want to see. Still, I'll give it a look, in case I want to buy it for just the covers!

MEAN GIRLS CLUB (ONE-SHOT) 

Publisher: NOBROW PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: RYAN HESHKA

$5.95

Introducing: Pinky, Sweets, Blackie, McQualude, Wendy, and Wanda. Together they form the Mean Girl Girls Club, a menacing powerhouse of ruthless rebels. Like a cruel pink and black plague, these subversive sirens seek out the innocent and the weak, feeding on pure fear. Intoxication... vice... adrenaline... Witness a meeting of the Mean Girls Club, but don't make any plans afterward. You won't be alive to tell about it!

These gals should have a crossover with Curb Stomp. Why should guys have all the fun of gang fights?

PRINCELESS: BOOK 1 DELUXE EDITION (HC)

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: JEREMY WHITLEY

Art: M. GOODWIN, JULES RIVERA, QUINN LARSEN, KELLY LAWRENCE, NANCY KING

Cover: M. GOODWIN

168 pgs./ All Ages / FC / $24.99 (reg.)

The first volume of Princeless as it’s never been available before, in a special edition hardcover volume.  This edition includes the full first volume written by Jeremy Whitley and illustrated by M Goodwin.  Additionally, it includes the Skullkickers Crossover written by Jim Zub and illustrated by M Goodwin, as well as the first two Princeless short story collections including work by Jules Rivera, Quinn Larsen, Kelly Lawrence, and Nancy King.  Share the Princeless hardcover with the rebellious young princess in your family (even if she’s you!)

I've been snarky occasionally about the changes in the industry, but here's where it shines: an exciting book that shows tweenage and teenage girls that they don't need a boy to be complete, or to save them. That's a lesson that can't be taught enough.

SO I CANT PLAY H VOL 4 (GN)

Publisher: YEN PRESS

Writer: PAN TACHIBANA

Art/Cover: SHOU OKAGIRI

$13.00

In this lusty supernatural comedy, a typical high school boy with raging hormones gets the letch leeched out of him by a beautiful death goddess! To commemorate the opening of the pool, Momozono Academy is holding its very own swimsuit contest! Aiming to crush the competition, Ryosuke and Lisara distribute sexy photos to whet the appetites of the student body. But Iria Fukumune suddenly transfers in, her sights set on bringing the boys to their knees with her ample, all-natural(?) bosom, and-?! Is a sexy battle about to break out? Which bathing beauty will stand at the top of the class?

I'm pretty sure my high school didn't have competitions like this. Or if they did, I wasn't invited.

STRAYER #1

Publisher: AFTERSHOCK COMICS

Writer: JUSTIN JORDAN

Art/Cover: JUAN GEDEON

The world is full of monsters.  Strayer kills them, but, of course, for a small fee... Nothing is free.

Mala does magic of a sort ... sometimes when she wants, sometimes not ... She may be the only one who can save the world and Strayer is going to help her ... whether he likes it or not ...

From the popular creators behind the Luther Strode trilogy, Spread, and Ghost Racers.

First issue alert!

SWORD ART ONLINE GIRLS OPS GN VOL 2

Publisher: YEN PRESS

Writer: REKI KAWAHARA

Art/Cover: NEKO NEKOBYOU

$13.00

From the world of the massively popular light novel series, Sword Art Online, comes a new spinoff manga series! The girls of SAO are back! Liz, Silica, and Leafa, with their new friend Lux - having ruined their clothes in their previous adventure - go to see Ashley, a survivor of Sword Art Online and a legendary master tailor. But the price for Ashley's skills is a high one, and in order to pay the tailor, the girls end up in a swimsuit contest! But naturally, this isn't just any swimsuit contest. Will Lux, Liz, Silica, and Leafa get away with their wardrobes and dignity intact?

Wait, ANOTHER swimsuit competition? Are they commonplace, and I've just been left out? Now I'm just getting depressed.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PANIC: Die-hard Harvey Kurtzman fans will tell you that Panic is not as good as Mad, but I’ve read Panic, and I think it’s comparable to the early Mad comic books. (I'm a pretty big Kurtzman fan myself, but I'm not going to let misplaced loyalty blind me to the merits of post-Kurtzman Mad magazine.) I also think Panic, having been produced by the same editorial team, is more comparable to the Mad magazine I grew up with. Kurtzman gets due credit for having launched the Mad comic book, but he edited only the first two or three issues of the magazine (which, to me, read more like Kurtzman’s later Humbug than Mad under Feldstein and Meglin).

Mad (magazine) #300 said “We finally get around to spoofing “Gone with the Wind!” but Panic already beat them to it. Here’s something you’ll want to make a note of…

TRUMP: In the best “Trump”-related news I’ve heard so far in 2016, a collected edition of Harvey Kurtzman’s Trump has been solicited for May 25th release.

• I'd have gone apesh*t over this at age 8. I don't know if kids today are quite so starved for entertainment, though ...

Skipper, I doubt very that these are aimed at kids. They're probably aimed at whoever's buying all those "coloring books for adults" that I see at the Barnes & Noble these days.

• Oh, I know, Baron. I couldn't resist the joke.

This reply was deleted.