Comics Guide for July 22, 2015

DARK HORSE

THE ADVENTURES OF DR. MCNINJA VOLUME 3: KING RADICAL (TPB)

Writer/Art/Cover: CHRISTOPHER HASTINGS

Colors: ANTHONY CLARK (C)

FC, 312 pages, $19.99

TPB, 7″ x 10″

When Dr. McNinja is believed killed by a vengeful astronaut ghost, the Doc uses the opportunity to infiltrate the criminal organization of King Radical! But should he who fights rad monsters beware becoming one himself?

DrMcNinja.com gets between 140,000 and 200,000 unique visitors on update days!

“Dr. McNinja is synonymous with quality webcomics. The trade collection offers a great opportunity to add to your McNinja collection or keep up on stories you may have missed.” -- Comic Book Therapy

REVIEW

I haven't read the first two volumes of Dr. McNinja, so I was a bit confused reading Vol. 3. I think, however, that I might have been confused even if I had read the first two volumes -- and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Dr. McNinja incorporates virtually every genre at some point or other in essentially a stream-of-consciousness narrative. No doubt all this is going somewhere, but in the meantime we've got ninja doctors implanting guns in innocent bystanders' hands to shoot bad guys, and other implausible nonsense that is, honestly, a lot of fun to read. It's like a dream, only it's yours, and there's a narrative, but only if you really need one.

Best of all are the tiny remarks at the bottom of each page, commenting on the action above. Sometimes it's just a joke, or a counterpoint, or a wry observation. But what could be annoying -- it could easily be annoying -- is instead genuinely funny, so it adds to the experience. It also makes speed-reading Dr. McNinja impossibe, so you're forced to slow down and do the same yourself.

I don't think Dr. McNinja is for everybody. Heck, when I started it, I didn't think it was for me. But it is genuinely off-beat fun that doesn't take itself too seriously. And that's a pretty good descriptor for what comics ought to be.

GO HERE FOR A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

ARCHIE VS. PREDATOR #4 (OF 4)

Writer: ALEX DE CAMPI 

Pencils: FERNANDO RUIZ

Inks: RICH KOSLOWSKI

Colors: JASON MILLET

Cover: ANDREW PEPOY

Variant: FAITH ERIN HICKS

Variant: JOE QUINONES

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

THE GANG FIGHTS BACK!“Look at these Archie vs. Predator comic covers and weep at their glory.” -- io9

As casualties continue to mount, it’s up to Betty and Veronica to put aside their differences if the gang hopes to rid Riverdale of the Predator menace -- but can the girls keep their claws out of each other long enough to keep the Predator’s claws out of everyone?!

Variant covers by Faith Erin Hicks (The Last of Us) and Joe Quinones (Batman ’66, Howard the Duck)!

REVIEW

As loyal readers know, I was somewhat taken aback by all the gratuitous bloodletting in this series. But given that it lead to this issue's punchline, I now heartily approve. I still love this gang too much to see them killed so casually, but it's all in service of what turns out to be a pretty good ending.

GO HERE FOR a 6-PAGE PREVIEW

FIGHT CLUB 2 #3

I didn't find a review copy of this one, but I include it anyway for the press release on the author's appearance (see below).

Writer: CHUCK PALAHNIUK

Art/Variant: CAMERON STEWART

Colors: DAVE STEWART

Cover: DAVID MACK

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

Chuck Palahniuk writes the sequel to Fight Club!

Tyler’s been around a lot longer than anyone realized . . . To gain admittance to the current generation of Project Mayhem, Marla is more than happy to provide Sebastian with plenty of bruises, and thus, the search for their son begins ...

One of IGN and io9’s Most Anticipated Comics of 2015!

“Ever wanted to know what happened to the anonymous narrator -- and his constant companion, Tyler Durden -- of Fight Club? Thanks to writer Chuck Palahniuk, artist Cameron Stewart and Dark Horse Comics, you’ll get the answer in Fight Club 2.” -- Playboy

Plus: Dark Horse Comics has announced that bestselling novelist Chuck Palahniuk will be a character in the acclaimed ten issue FIGHT CLUB 2 miniseries, which is written by Palahniuk, illustrated by Cameron Stewart and colored by Dave Stewart, with covers by David Mack. Issue 3 of the series, on sale July 22, confirms Palahniuk as a character in the series, where he will be a reoccurring presence along with his iconic creations Tyler Durden and Marla Singer. Issue 4 of the series promises to further up the ante and the antics with an appearance by members of Palahniuk's real life writing group, including the novelists Chelsea Cain, Monica Drake, Lidia Yuknavitch, Suzy Vitello and Diana Jordan.

“Literary critics claim that Ken Kesey's mental hospital in CUCKOO’S NEST and Toni Morrison's plantation in BELOVED represent those authors’ post-graduate writing workshops,” said Chuck Palahniuk. “To prevent anyone from thinking my own workshop is either a support group for the terminally ill or a bare-knuckle mosh pit, I've included it in FIGHT CLUB 2."

"Consider FIGHT CLUB’s cultural impact, and you have to imagine its impact, and Tyler’s impact, on Chuck himself,” said Dark Horse Comics Editor-in-Chief Scott Allie. "Fans sometimes blur the line between the artist and the work, and having lived with these characters for twenty years, Chuck’s diving head on into it here. Authors from Philip Roth to Bret Easton Ellis to Grant Morrison have popped up in their own work before, but Chuck’s taking it into all new territory, doing what he always does—giving you an experience no one else can provide."

“By openly acknowledging the mechanics of film, David Fincher made his version seem more real and more mythic at the same time,” said Palahniuk. “By dragging my own creative process into FC2 I'm doing the equivalent of demonstrating splices, reel change-over marks, film breaks and rattling the film in the movie projector gate."

Palahniuk enthusiasts at Comic-Con will want to track down two FIGHT CLUB exclusives. An SDCC exclusive FIGHT CLUB 2 issue 1 comic book, with a cover by Joelle Jones, will be available at the Dark Horse Booth (Booth # 2615) while supplies last. Meanwhile the Penguin Random House booth (Booth # 1519/1520) will be selling a Rare Bird Lit SDCC exclusive edition of the vinyl audiobook release of Palahniuk's FIGHT CLUB prequel story “Expedition." The short story takes place before the events of the bestselling FIGHT CLUB novel and is an origin story of Tyler Durden. The vinyl audiobook features Palahniuk reading “Expedition” from Doubleday's bestselling short story collection MAKE SOMETHING UP: STORIES YOU CAN’T UNREAD, accompanied by music by Brian Jonestown Massacre's Rob Campanella and featuring album art by FIGHT CLUB 2 cover artist David Mack.

DC COMICS

AMERICA VS. THE JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA (TPB)

I didn't care for this storyline when it first came out, because -- if I'm remembering right -- it's not a trick, not a hoax, not an imaginary story: Batman really is a delusional jerk prosecuting his former allies out of arrogance. (Oh, spoiler.) I realize what Roy Thomas is doing here, which is to give an in-story reason for why the Justice Society disappeared in 1951. (The real world reason, as if anyone reading this doesn't already know, is that sales on All Star Comics were faltering, so the JSA strip was dropped and the book renamed All-Star Western.) OK, fine. But the poor treatment of the Earth-Two Dark Knight left me cold. Couldn't a more plausible reason have been found? 

Written by ROY THOMAS

Art by RAFAEL KAYANAN, RICH BUCKLER, JERRY ORDWAY, ALFREDO ALCALA, HOWARD BENDER and others

Cover by JERRY ORDWAY

160 pg, FC, $14.99 US

Following the end of World War II, Batman accuses the Justice Society of America of collaborating with the Nazis, which leads to a Congressional investigation that could mean disgrace for the JSA! Collects AMERICA VS. THE JUSTICE SOCIETY #1-4.

AQUAMAN #42

OK, that variant cover made me laugh.

Written by CULLEN BUNN

Art and cover by TREVOR McCARTHY

TEEN TITANS GO! Variant cover by CRAIG ROUSSEAU

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

This issue will arrive in stores with two covers.

Mera joins the hunt for Aquaman as he continues to be an enemy of the Kingdom of Atlantis!

BATMAN ‘66 #25

Heresy! Harley Quinn didn't exist when the Batman TV show aired! *clutches pearls*

Written by JEFF PARKER and GABE SORIA

Art by JESSE HAMM and TY TEMPLETON

Cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E • DIGITAL FIRST

Driven mad by the Clown Prince of Crime’s “Joker Wave,” The Joker’s former prison doctor enters the Caped Crusader’s Rogues Gallery as The Harlequin! Then, a team of Batman’s greatest enemies takes over an advertising agency to create a new public image for themselves. But the agency has a new temp working for them … none other than Barbara Gordon, young daughter of Gotham City’s police commissioner!

BATMAN: GOTHIC DELUXE EDITION (HC)

This story didn't leave an impression on me when it was first printed, but now that Morrison's written his Bat-opus, it probably serves as a prequel or something.

Written by GRANT MORRISON

Art and cover by KLAUS JANSON

144 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $24.99 US

In this epic from BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #6-10, published here for the first time in hardcover, the Dark Knight Detective must defeat an immortal killer while dealing with a terrifying horror from Bruce Wayne’s youth. While plagued by nightmares about his childhood, Batman investigates the murders of crime bosses in Gotham City. But what will he do when he discovers that the macabre killer is actually the headmaster who tormented Bruce Wayne as a boy?

CYBORG #1

I'm glad that DC finally has a major black hero, and I'm also glad to see a former Teen Titan graduate permanently to the big leagues. I just wish I was more interested in this particular character, who feels like a poor man's Iron Man. He was too whiny in the Old 52, and the new version seems to have no personality at all, while his super-powers seem limited to a sound cannon on one arm and free wi-fi.

Written by DAVID WALKER

Art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

1:25 Variant cover by TONY HARRIS

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

This issue will ship with two covers.

The machine that gives Cyborg his powers is evolving! The only problem is that machine is his body and he has no idea what’s causing these changes!

GO HERE FOR A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

DEATHSTROKE #8

It has always irritated me that Deathstroke always manages to handily defeat much stronger superheroes. I'm never convinced it's anything but writer's fiat that he does so (which is why it irritates me). And for him to stand toe to toe with Wonder Woman isn't going to change my mind. She should mash him to jelly in about five seconds, and since she won't -- or there won't be a story -- an uninspired villain gets another couple of cheap points at the expense of the most famous and arguably most powerful woman in comics. 

Bleah.

Written by TONY S. DANIEL and JIM BONNY

Art and cover by TONY S. DANIEL

TEEN TITANS GO! Variant cover by SEAN “CHEEKS” GALLOWAY

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

This issue will arrive in stores with two covers.

“Godkiller” continues! Get ready for divine brutality when Slade’s contract on the Gods sends him smashing into combat against the one and only Wonder Woman!

FABLES VOL. 22 (TPB)

I wish I could review this -- I think I have access to a review copy online -- but I haven't read the issues leading up to it yet and I don't want to spoil it for myself. Sorry. I like this series too much to ruin the last time I'll be able to enjoy it!

Written by BILL WILLINGHAM

Art by MARK BUCKINGHAM, STEVE LEIALOHA, ANDREW PEPOY, MARK SCHULTZ, GENE HA, NEAL ADAMS and others

Wraparound cover by NIMIT MALAVIA

160 pg, FC, $17.99 US • MATURE READERS • FINAL ISSUE

It’s the final trade paperback volume of FABLES! No, wait – it’s FABLES #150, the grand finale of the best-selling, award-winning comic book series! And it’s also an original graphic novel in the tradition of 1001 NIGHTS OF SNOWFALL! Yes, it’s all this and more! Join us for 150 – that’s, right, 150! – pages of new stories starring your favorite Fables, all from the mind of Bill Willingham. It all starts with an 80-page lead story illustrated by series regulars Mark Buckingham and Steve Leialoha, plus stories illustrated by Mark Schultz, Gene Ha, Neal Adams, Andrew Pepoy and many more!

Don’t miss the final bows for Boy Blue, Stinky, Lake and more in this once-in-a-lifetime issue that also features a foldout cover by Nimit Malavia that opens into a four-panel mural! It’s even got metallic ink!

STIEG LARSSON’S THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET’S NEST (HC)

The two previous GNs weren't all that special, but they did give more of a flavor of the novels (and Scandinavian culture) than the movie did.

Written by DENISE MINA

Art by ANDREA MUTTI and ANTONIO FUSO

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

RESOLICIT • 272 pg, FC, $29.99 US • MATURE READERS

This title is resolicited.

In this final graphic novel adaptation of Stieg Larsson’s international bestseller, Lisbeth Salander lies in critical condition, a bullet wound to her head, in the intensive care unit of a Swedish hospital. She’s fighting for her life in more ways than one: If and when she recovers, she’ll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge – against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that nearly destroyed her life.

HARLEY QUINN AND POWER GIRL #2

There's always such playful joy in Amanda Conner covers. I just love 'em.

Written by AMANDA CONNER and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by STEPHANE ROUX

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

32 pg, FC, 2  of 6, $3.99 US • RATED T

Vartox is a totally creepy and super macho space dictator – though he is terrible fond of Power Girl. Harley and Power Girl are not terribly fond of him. Violence and shenanigans begin in 3 … 2 …1 …

JUSTICE LEAGUE: GODS AND MONSTERS – BATMAN #1

I guess I'm going to have to get over my distaste for comics based on violent and bloodthirsty video games. Doesn't look like the flood is going to stop any time soon.

Written by J.M. DeMATTEIS and BRUCE TIMM

Art by MATTHEW DOW SMITH

Cover by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

1:10 Variant cover by DARWYN COOKE

ONE-SHOT • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

Prequel to the DC Universe movie Justice League: Gods and Monsters!

In this story, Kirk Langstrom has been transformed into a blood-sucking creature of the night, preying on society’s dregs. Will a new friendship allow him to find his lost humanity or turn him into a soulless monster once and for all?

JUSTICE LEAGUE 3001 #2

Saaaay, look at those boots. Is this the pre-Crisis Supergirl?

Written by KEITH GIFFEN and J.M. DeMATTEIS

Art and cover by HOWARD PORTER

1:25 Variant cover by GEOF DARROW

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s ... Supergirl? Aww, for crying out loud, we were promised that someone would rein these guys in. Supergirl? Really? Trust us ... it’s actually pretty cool.

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA: A CELEBRATION OF 75 YEARS (HC)

Certainly a team worth celebrating. I've probably read whatever's in this book, but I'll likely get it anyway.

Written by GARDNER FOX, GEOFF JOHNS and others

Art by various

Cover by JOHN CASSADAY

400 pg, FC, $39.99 US

In 1940, ALL STAR COMICS #3 introduced the Justice Society of America. Featuring Hour-Man, Doctor Fate, The Spectre, The Sandman, The Atom, The Flash, Green Lantern and Hawkman, the JSA soon became a mainstay in super hero comics! This anthology stories by legendary talents including Gardner Fox, John Broome, Robert Kanigher and Geoff Johns.

SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN #12

I don't now who Emanuela Lupacchino is, but she gives WW a Mediterranean look, which I really appreciate. As I've said before, Diana isn't a generic pretty woman -- she's of a specific genetic background (Greek), and her looks should reflect that.

Written by DEREK FRIDOLFS and MATTHEW K. MANNING

Art by TOM FOWLER, GEORGES JEANTY and KARL STORY

Cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

Diana’s visit to Paradise Island’s harvest festival is interrupted by monsters! Typhon, the last son of Gaia, is breaking free of imprisonment and his minions have already begun wreaking havoc. Help is coming from another woman with connections to the Earth Mother, but will Wonder Woman accept aid from Poison Ivy? Then, Batman sends Diana on a vacation in the mountains, hoping that “A Moment of Peace” will help her adjust to life in Man’s World.

IDW PUBLISHING

GALAXY QUEST: THE JOURNEY CONTINUES

Will I enjoy the book as much as the movie? I dunno, but it's worth a try. I really enjoyed the movie!

Writer: ERIK BURNHAM

Art: NACHO ARRANZ

Cover: ROGER ROBINSON

TPB • FC • $17.99 • 104 pages

The cast of GALAXY QUEST has enjoyed a career resurgence since returning from their intergalactic adventure, but all that is about to be interrupted by Qint, an alien with a very surprising ax to grind against Jason Nesmith and the crew of the NSEA Protector!

Star Trek fans' "second-favorite" crew pick up where the beloved movie left off!

G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO #216

That's a pretty good EC variant cover -- very Kurtzman-esque.

Writer: LARRY HAMA

Art/Cover: S L GALLANT

EC Comics subscription variant: ANDY SURIANO

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

COBRA RISING! As G.I. Joe continues to mourn the loss of one of their greatest members, Cobra consolidates its power and brings long-departed villains back into the fold...

MICKEY MOUSE #2

Writers: BRUNO ENNA, BILL WALSH, JOE TORCIVIA

Art: GIORGIO CAVAZZANO, MANUEL GONZALES

Cover: DAVE ALVAREZ

Subscription Variant: AMY MEBBERSON

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

"The Sound-Blot Plot": When the evil Phantom Blot fries Mickey's eardrums with a high-tech laser ray, he unwittingly gives Mickey super hearing!

• Mickey's greatest arch-enemy, the diabolical Phantom Blot, is back!

• Continues this classic series' legacy numbering at #311!

• 40 action-packed pages for only $3.99!

• "Disney Legacy" Fantasyland cover by James Silvani!

REVIEW

I can't resist a Phantom Blot story, and I'm glad I didn't. This story is tightly plotted, has some LOL moments and even has a little characterization added to the Goofy-Mickey relationship. This is probably as close as you're going to get to new Carl Barks -- but with mice!

One question: Back in the long-ago time, I don't recall the Phantom Blot ever showing his face, but he does here, and quite a lot. Is this a recent innovation? Or a relatively recent one?

STAR TREK #47—FIVE-YEAR MISSION

This EC variant looks more like a Charlton comic circa 1975. It has sort of a Joe Staton vibe, too.

Writer: MIKE JOHNSON

Art: RACHAEL STOTT

Cover: JOE CORRONEY

EC Comics Subscription Variant: DEREK CHARM

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

It's the mind-bending conclusion of "The Tholian Webs!" One crewmember makes the ultimate sacrifice to save the Enterprise in this all-new re-imagining of a classic Star Trek episode!

UNCLE SCROOGE #4

Writers: MIQUEL PUJOL, DICK KINNEY, JONATHAN GRAY

Art: MIQUEL PUJOL, AL HUBBARD

Cover: MIQUEL PUJOL

Subscription Variant: JAMES SILVANI

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

"The Grand Canyon Conquest," Part 1 of 2: When an old Klondike debt spirals out of control, Scrooge fears his fortune will be colonized by con men!

• Continues this popular series' legacy numbering at #408!

• 40 action-packed pages for only $3.99!

• "Disney Legacy" Fantasyland cover by Thom Pratt!

REVIEW

After Mickey Mouse, I was hoping for much the same quality here -- but was a little disappointed. Oh, the art and structure are very professional. But these aren't the people -- well, ducks -- I used to like.

Uncle Scrooge is a skinflint, because of course he is. But he's too self-aware of, and smug about, his cruelty. Donald resents him, as you would, but not in the fatalistic way Barks wrote it. Instead, he's much more angry and venal. These ducks don't like each other very much, and as a result, they're not very much fun to read about.

WALLY WOOD EC COMICS ARTISAN EDITION

Wally Wood's career was one rich in great covers, but this one sticks out for me. Maybe it's the subject matter, but it just seems so detailed and painstaking.

Writers: AL FELDSTEIN, HARVEY KURTZMAN, AND MORE

Art/Cover: WALLY WOOD

TPB • BW • $50.00 • 152 pages

Introducing a new format within the Artist’s Edition brand -- the Artisan Edition! Softcover format, 8 x 12 inches, but still collecting complete stories that are all painstakingly scanned from the original art. If you have been holding off exploring the wonderful world of Artist’s Edition, this is the perfect place to begin!

• Introducing the IDW Artisan Edition line! Reprinting hard-to-find Artist’s Editions in a new affordable trade paperback format! Only certain Artist’s Editions will be reprinted in this format, and no more than two books will be done per year. Get in on the ground floor now!

• Advance solicited for May release!

• The Wally Wood EC Comics Artist’s Edition was a huge critical and commercial success, selling out two printings in record time!

WALT DISNEY'S COMICS & STORIES #721

Writers: DAAN JIPPES, FREDDY MILTON, WALT KELLY, BRUNO SARDA, JONATHAN GRAY, THAD KOMOROWSKI

Art: MASSIMO DE VITA, DAAN JIPPES, FREDDY MILTON, AL TALIAFERRO

Cover: JONATHAN GRAY

Subscription Variant: AMY MEBBERSON

Blank Sketch Variant

FC • 48 pages • $3.99

"The Search For the Zodiac Stone," Part 1 of 12: In the start of a legendary Disney epic, Mickey and Goofy seek a mystic treasure that will soon ensnare Donald, Scrooge, and the Phantom Blot! Wild short stories with Donald, Gremlin Gus and more round out our first big issue!

• Disney's most long-lived, celebrated monthly title is back! Discover Walt Disney's Comics and Stories again for the first time!

• "The Search For the Zodiac Stone," a prized Disney adventure serial, makes its USA debut at last! Stick around as your favorite Comics and Stories players get pulled into a pulse-pounding quest!

• Extra! Classic backup tales by comics legend Walt Kelly (Pogo) and famed Disney "Duck Men" Daan Jippes, Freddy Milton and Al Taliaferro!

• "Disney Legacy" Fantasyland cover by Derek Charm!

REVIEW

Cheered by Mickey, deflated by Donald, now cheered again.

IDW is continuing the numbering of the original Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, but not the anthology format. Instead, Each issue will do a chapter in what appears to be very popular and respected saga heretofore seen only in Europe (I think) called "The Search for the Zodiac Stone."  (There will be a few pages after the "Zodiac" chapter in each issue for some Bucky Bug or Porky Pig shorts, so there's still a place for non-duck and non-mice stories.)

And the first issue was really pretty good. I don't care at all for Bucky Bug, who makes an appearance, but the "Zodiac" story was very Barks-ian. And that's high praise!

IMAGE COMICS

SONS OF THE DEVIL #3

STORY: BRIAN BUCCELLATO

ART / COVER: TONI INFANTE

JULY 22 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

The third installment of the five-issue first arc.  New family members revealed!

REVIEW

I like the premise of this story, but I'm having a little trouble following it. I have to blame both writer and artist -- the writer, for not giving me enough information; the artist for focusing on illustration rather than storytelling. If it wasn't for the colorist -- who makes sure I notice the heterochromia that marks members of the family that this book is about -- I'd be totally lost.

As it is, I'm going to have to re-read all issues leading up to whatever point it is that I finally understand what's going on ... assuming I ever do.

But I really like the concept of this story, so I'm gonna hang in there!

WOLF #1

Story: ALES KOT

Art/Cover: MATT TAYLOR

Colors: LEE LOUGHRIDGE

JULY 22 / 64 PAGES / FC / M / $4.99

An all-new fantasy crime-noir series

Bestselling writer Ales Kot (ZERO, MATERIAL) and artist Matt Taylor (ZERO) team up to launch an all-new fantasy crime-noir series with WOLF #1, coming this July.

In an in-depth interview with Entertainment Weekly, Kot detailed his inspiration for the new epic:

"… if I go to where the inspiration really came from…it could be simply the image of Antoine Wolfe, our main protagonist in #1, a hard-boiled ex-army detective who can see too much for his own peace of mind, living in a glorified shack in Echo Park surrounded by boxes of books, empty bottles of booze, prescription pills and some things we can’t quite figure out until the end of issue one. It’s a cliché, but the biggest clichés are often clichés because they are true: it all starts with a character. And Antoine is real. (…) the Los Angeles we explore is decidedly our Los Angeles, but it has a massive amount of citizens we do not see. And Antoine Wolfe does, which means he’s in demand. Of course, there’s also something strange crawling through the hills, ripping people up… a girl who just lost her parents… a hyper-wealthy racist named Gibson Sterling… vampires… werewolves… and a whole lot of uneasy, oozing atmosphere. But not all is doom and gloom, because we’re in a hyper-sunny LA, the kinda place where it might be Christmas and you won’t even notice."

WOLF incorporates the crime noir thrills and character development of True Detective with the mythical stakes of Neil Gaiman’s Sandman in this original fantasy, horror saga. Antoine Wolfe is a hard-boiled paranormal detective with a death wish and has to cope with sudden responsibility for an orphaned teenage girl who might be the key to the impending apocalypse, California-style.

The road to hell and back begins in a maximum-sized first issue, with fifty-eight pages of story and no ads. WOLF #1 (Diamond Code: MAY150550) will be available on July 22. The final order cutoff for retailers is Monday, June 29.

REVIEW

Here's another book I had a little trouble with. Not that I didn't follow the story -- this time I did -- just that I didn't realize what sort of story it was I was reading!

We're introduced to our protagonist right away, and in a few pages discover that he's immortal, or at least very hard to kill. Then we meet some of his friends, and follow him around for a day (where he doesn't seem to accomplish very much), and then a buddy (with a squid for a face) comes to him for help with his landlord, who is a vampire who is a bloodsucker when it comes to the rent as well.

It is then, pretty close to the end of a 64-page book, that we discover that our lead character is a private detective, who specializes in helping supernatural beings like himself. Maybe that was telegraphed earlier in the book, but honestly, if they did I sure missed it. And I'd sure like to have known that sooner!

As it is, the earlier meandering wasn't unpleasant, although I did find myself thinking about other things once in a while. Now that the main plot has finally been established, I imagine I'll pay much greater attention.

MARVEL COMICS

LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD #16

I thought we saw Loki's last days last month. I guess there are more!

Writer: AL EWING

Art/Cover: LEE GARBETT

32 PGS./Rated T+ / $3.99

THE LAST DAYS OF LOKI ARE UPON US!

• The final hours of Asgard build to their cosmic climax!

• Will King Loki succeed? Can the Gods survive? Is there any hope at all?

• And are we ever going to reveal what happened to AAAH AAAAAH WHO THE HECK IS THAT ON THE COVER AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

MARVEL ZOMBIES #2

I like me some zombies. I guess that's enough to pay attention to this title.

Writer: SIMON SPURRIER

Art/Cover: KEV WALKER

Variant by GABRIEL HERNANDEZ WALTA

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

• Stranded in the Deadlands and saddled with a mysterious child, Elsa Bloodstone is determined to traverse the zombie-ridden landscape and get home.

• But haunted by ghosts from her past -- including visions of her stern father, Ulysses Bloodstone – Elsa begins to realize it may not be the zombies she fears most…

*SECRET WARS SERIES

MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.: SEASON TWO DECLASSIFIED HC SLIPCASE

Another book I can't afford, but would like to.

Written by TROY BENJAMIN

Season One revealed the intricate pieces of the latest saga in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now learn new secrets of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in this second keepsake volume! In the wake of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s collapse, Agent Coulson and his team must work even harder to oppose Hydra and protect the planet against the threats it doesn’t even know exist…even as their own world becomes more inhuman every day. Starring Clark Gregg, Ming-Na Wen, Brett Dalton, Chloe Bennet, Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge along with a star-studded list of guests, Season Two is a whirlwind of betrayal and heroism. This collection will put fans on the inside with exclusive interviews, detailed production art and never-before-seen photography. The creators of the hit show reveal all!

240 PGS./All Ages …$49.99

Trim size: landscape

STAR-LORD AND KITTY PRYDE #1

Marvel sent a nice press release, so here it is.

Writer: SAM HUMPHRIES

Art: ALTI FIRMANSYAH

Cover by YASMINE PUTRI

VARIANT COVER BY TBA

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

War rages across the patchwork planet of Battleworld. Domains far and wide clash in an unending conflict for territory. Yet amid the fury and the fire of battle, there is love to be found as well. This June, one of the Marvel Universe’s burgeoning romances will be put through the Secret Wars wringer in STAR-LORD AND KITTY PRYDE #1 – an all-new Secret Wars series! Fan-favorite writer Sam Humphries and Marvel newcomer Alti Firmansyah ask the question – can love really conquer all?

“Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde is an action romantic comedy,” says Sam Humphries, in an interview with Marvel.com. “It is the emotional and spiritual continuation of the great Peter Quill/Kitty Pryde romance that has been developing in Legendary Star-Lord. It’s going to be funny, and fun – but also heartbreaking and thrilling.”

The events of Secret Wars have brought these two together once more. Yet, hailing from entirely different realities, can these two-star crossed lovers reconcile their feelings for one another – even though they are not the ones they know?! Sure – if they don’t kill each other first! The Kitty Pryde from the Age of Apocalpyse domain learned a long time ago not to trust anyone. Especially strangers from other realities who claim to be her boyfriend!

Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde are finally together in their own series! But are they TOGETHER together? The burgeoning romance of these two fan-favorite characters will be tested like never before on the surface of Battleworld. Will their love triumph across space and time? Or will the events of Secret Wars prove too much? The answers lie within True Believer – so don’t miss STAR-LORD AND KITTY PRYDE #1 on sale this June!

OTHER PUBLISHERS

ARCHIE VS. SHARKNADO #1 (ONE-SHOT)

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: ANTHONY C. FERRANTE with DAN PARENT

Art:  DAN PARENT, RICH KOSLOWSKI

Cover A: DAN PARENT

Cover B: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Cover C: ROBERT HACK

48-page, full color comic, $4.99 U.S.

It's that time of year in Riverdale! The end of the school year.  Time for beaches, barbecues, fun in the sun and ... SHARKNADOS!?!  That's right, get ready as Archie and the gang brave the storm of a tornado full a sharks that riffs off the pop culture phenomenon known as Sharknado! The story unfolds as sharknados are spotted on the “Feast” Coast! Our heroines have to figure out how to get back to Riverdale, where the storm is about to hit next. Soon Archie and the gang go, go, go as they battle the Sharknado-ravaged Riverdale! Who will live? Who will die? Will this take a BITE out of the end-of-the-year prom? Uh....probably! The comic book action is also concurrent with the plot of SHARKNADO 3 and hits stands right before the film's premiere in July on Syfy. Written by the SHARKNADO trilogy director Anthony C. Ferrante with Dan Parent.

This summer, just in time for Syfy's SHARKNADO 3: OH HELL NO!, fans will see an unexpected, jaw-dropping twist to the Sharknado saga -- in Riverdale USA!
 Just when Archie and the gang think they can kick back and enjoy a few months of beaches, naps and sun, they're faced with a storm of sharknados -- heading straight for their hometown of Riverdale. 

Archie and his friends have to battle the incoming pop culture storm as it creeps up the "Feast" coast to Riverdale -- and then try to save what's left of their hometown. Who lives? Who dies? Read the book!

Written by SHARKNADO trilogy director Anthony C. Ferrante with art by Archie legend Dan Parent, the "shark-tacular" extra-sized 48-page issue serves as a nice appetizer to SHARKNADO 3, which debuts on Syfy the same day the book is released in comic shops and digitally: Wednesday, July 22.

"Having a chance to crossover the Archie comics with our Sharknado universe has been a dream come true," Ferrante said. "Riverdale will never be the same and I know fans are going to get a thrill out of seeing Archie, Betty, Veronica and the rest of the gang unleash their inner Fin Shepards."

"I can't tell you the thrill of working on Sharknado. I might be the biggest Sharknado fan, watching multiple airings of the movies, going to theatrical screenings. attending the Riff Trax versions and then buying the DVDs," Parent said. "So to be able to bring Sharknado into the world of Archie is a dream come true. And to be working on it with Sharknado director Anthony C. Ferrante is the icing on the cake! I promise to put my all into this project to make all the Sharknado -- and Archie -- fans proud!!!"

"Sharknado has become a worldwide merchandise and cultural phenomenon that has thrilled young and old alike," said David Garber, who negotiated this deal on behalf of The Asylum with Archie Comics. "Archie’s comics and his adventures have always been fun and exciting. The fusion of these two properties is part of the social media and fan explosion that continues to grow. We are pleased to combine these historic IP’s in one consumer experience.”

“The Sharknado franchise has soared in popularity due partly to the variety of great celebrities, who bravely encounter this unnatural menace," said Jeff Li, Vice President, Syfy Ventures. "Sharknado survivors come in all forms. It’s only natural that Archie and the gang will get a chance to save their town from flying sharks.”

Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! stars Ian Ziering as Fin, Tara Reid as April and Cassie Scerbo as Nova. Joining them will be David Hasselhoff as Fin’s father, Gil; Bo Derek will play April’s mother, May; Ryan Newman will play April and Fin’s daughter, Claudia Shepard, and Jack Griffo will portray Claudia’s friend, Billy.

Additional cameo roles include Mark Cuban as the President of the United States; Ann Coulter as the Vice President; Michele Bachmann as herself; Jerry Springer as Mr. White, a manic tourist; Washington Redskins tackle Tom Compton as a reporter; *NSYNC singer Chris Kirkpatrick as a pool lifeguard and Chris Jericho, who will portray Bruce the roller coaster ride operator.

A production of The Asylum, Sharknado 3 is directed by Anthony C. Ferrante from an original screenplay by Thunder Levin.

REVIEW

"That's just hilarious."

So said my wife when she saw the cover, and I have to agree the book is pretty funny. It was surprisingly rushed-looking, as if Parent had a tight deadline. And the story had some holes in it. (Archie and Cherry Blossom somehow become an item by the end, for example, with no real explanation.) But, hey, it's Sharknado! Whaddaya want, egg in your beer?

There are even a couple of Tara Reid inside jokes, if you pay attention. (Reid is the movie franchise's only memorable name, and she also played Melody in the Josie & the Pussycats movie.)

So, it's not Shakespeare. But it's funny. And, heck, more of the gang survives here than in Archie vs. Predator!

BLACKLIST #1

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: NICOLE DAWN PHILLIPS

Art: BENI LOBEL

Cover: ALICE X ZHANG

Subscription Variant: Photo

SDCC Variant: COLIN LORIMER

$3.99

The brand-new original official comic series based on the critically acclaimed NBC crime drama The Blacklist, starring James Spader, written by series script coordinator Nicole Dawn Phillips! When the FBI is framed for the public killing of a political activitist at an open-air rally, Reddington recognises the hallmarks of a dangerous, media-manipulating Blacklister, known as Leon Kiklinski, aka The Lobbyist. So begins the latest case for the FBI's covert counter-intelligence unit codenamed The Post Office. But is this new Blacklist member working alone or is there a mysterious puppet master behind the scenes orchestrating a planned series of attacks against the FBI for his own nefarious purposes and if so, what is his connection to the Concierge of Crime, Raymond "Red" Reddington?

Hitting stores on July 22, 2015, Issue #1 comes with two covers to collect: an original painted cover of Raymond "Red" Reddington from fan-favorite artist, Alice X Zhang (Doctor Who) and a photo cover with an iconic image of Red. The Blacklist comic will also be available to read on personal digital devices.

The comic series is penned by Nichole Phillips and drawn by Beni Lobel (Constantine, Batman: Arkham Unhinged) and developed in conjunction with The Blacklist TV series from Sony Pictures Television.  The first arc (Issues 1-5) will feature stories which expand upon the events of the TV series and feature all the major characters from the show, including the formidable Raymond 'Red' Reddington, played by James Spader, along with characters Lizzie (Megan Boone), Donald Ressler (Diego Klattenhoff), Dembe (Hisham Tawfiq) and others.

“A true extension of the television series, The Blacklist comic will take you on a journey deep into the dark world of international espionage, conspiracies, and intrigue on a global scale and explore new dimensions of the characters that have captured the audiences worldwide,” said David Leach, The Blacklist comic editor.

REVIEW

I wish I had something interesting to say, but I really didn't get much out of this book. That's probably because I don't watch the show, so I'm probably missing a lot! Sorry, gang.

BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF BLOODSHOT #1 (ONE-SHOT)

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE

Cover A by RAFA SANDOVAL

Cover B by JEFTE PALO

Variant Cover by DAVID YARDIN

Variant Cover by TOM FOWLER

$3.99 | 32 pages | T+ | ONE-SHOT

Valiant is proud to present the first look inside BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF BLOODSHOT #1!  On  July 22nd, New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire (BLOODSHOT REBORN, Descender) and superstar artist Doug Braithwaite (IMPERIUM, Justice) join the summer's monumental comics event to chronicle Bloodshot’s ultimate fate in a visionary tale of present and future torn directly from the pages of BOOK OF DEATH!

The lovers he’s known, the allies he’s trusted … All will eventually return to dust. … But will the nanites that transformed Bloodshot – body, mind and soul – ever let him truly rest? For the very first time, read an essential chapter of the Book of the Geomancer as Project Rising Spirit’s ultimate walking weapon soldiers on from the modern day into the far future of the Valiant Universe … and reveals the truth behind what could be the very last Bloodshot story that will ever come to pass…

Don’t miss the never-before-revealed story of Bloodshot’s final adventures as BOOK OF DEATH foretells the devastating fate of Valiant’s unrelenting soldier from now to a thousand years hence on  July 22nd, only in BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF BLOODSHOT #1 – featuring covers by Rafa Sandoval (X-O MANOWAR), Jefte Palo (Thunderbolts), David Yardin (X-Factor), and Tom Fowler (QUANTUM AND WOODY)!

REVIEW

As I said about Book of Death #1, Valiant does a really nice job on a pretty depressing subject.

This is very well executed, with an ending well worth waiting for. Oh, and you get a lot of references to things that haven't happened yet, if you want to keep score for when they do. (Bloodshot & Armstrong as pirates! The "War of the Brothers"! And so forth.) Plus the art is excellent, with Braithwaite rapidly becoming the very high standard of the Valiant line.

But wow, I really don't want to see every character I care about kick the bucket! That's a bit too much like real life.

DOCTOR WHO: THE TENTH DOCTOR VOL. 2: THE WEEPING ANGEL OF MONS (HC)

Here's this week's Whovian offering.

Writer: ROBBIE MORRISON

Artist: DANIEL INDRO

Colorist: SLAMET MUJIONO

Cover: TOMMY LEE EDWARDS

128pp / FC / HC

$19.99 U.S. / $22.95 CAN

The second collection of the sell-out smash new Tenth Doctor series, from award-winning writer Robbie Morrison (Spider-Man, Drowntown, Nikolai Dante) and Daniel Indro (Sherlock Holmes, Green Hornet), sends the Doctor and new companion Gabriella Gonzalez hurtling back into the past – and into the trenches of World War One!

Bombed by the German artillery, arrested as spies by the British, Gabby and the Doctor soon learn that there’s something even worse moving in the gas and wreathes of smoke out in No Man’s Land … stone statues who move only when you’re not looking at them! The Weeping Angels have come to feed on the futures of young soldiers -- in their hundreds of thousands!

It’s an unmissable historical epic!

Key points:

- Eisner Award-Winning Writer Robbie Morrison (Spider-Man) And Daniel Indro!

- Cover by comics superstar Tommy Lee Edwards (TURF, 1985)!

- Weeping Angels in the trenches of WWI!

- Collects Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor #6-10

HELLBREAK #5

I had hoped to catch up on this title by this week, but failed. Oni released a preview, though, so that's worth running.

Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Artist: BRIAN CHURILLA with DAVE STEWART

Mature / $3.99

Orpheus Team has located the lost soul they are tasked with rescuing from Hell... but the ghastly condition in which they've found him might be too much to handle! As they fight the legions of the underworld though an ever-changing maze, not every member of the team will make it back alive! And Jenner discovers a secret that shakes his beliefs to the core.

IVAR, TIMEWALKER #7

Another nice-looking Valiant book.

Written by FRED VAN LENTE

Art by FRANCIS PORTELA

Cover A by RAUL ALLEN

Cover B by STEVE LIEBER

Platinum Age Variant by ROBERT GILL

$3.99 | 32 pages | T+

“BREAKING HISTORY” – PART 3! Assault on Obliv-1!

The Anni-Padda brothers prepare a suicide mission at the end of time with Amelia Earhart, the Lurkers, and the angriest Bloodshot nanite of all time. Meanwhile, Neela Sethi is forced to make a dark decision alongside her future self. It’s the last stand of humanity against the Big Crunch as the penultimate issue of BREAKING HISTORY changes our future forever! New York Times best selling writer Fred Van Lente (ARCHER & ARMSTRONG) and Francis Portela (Green Lantern Corps) storm an enemy beachhead at the end of time itself!

JOHN CARTER: WARLORD OF MARS #9

Writers: RON MARZ, IAN EDGINGTON

Art: ARIEL MEDEL

Covers: ED BENES, BART SEARS, EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

Fans & retailers, order the cover of your choice!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

FANS, ASK YOUR RETAILER FOR THE:

BART SEARS B/W art retailer incentive cover

ED BENES B/W art retailer incentive cover

EMANUELA LUPACCHINO “vrgin” art retailer incentive cover

John Carter and Dejah Thoris try to unravel a mystery in lonely Martian village under attack by a mysterious killer. But even if they manage to gain the trust of the suspicious villagers, something far more deadly lurks in the shadows. It's a murder mystery, Martian-style, from the minds of Ron Marz, the fan-favorite cosmic writer of Green Lantern, and Ian Edginton!

REVIEW
I've never read an issue of this or any other Barsoom title at Dynamite, assuming from the cheesecake covers that I wouldn't like them. Imagine my surprise -- and delight! -- to be proven completely wrong.

Sure enough, Dejah Thoris is gorgeous and doesn't wear many clothes. Both are conventions, though, and besides, it's really hot on Barsoom! But more than the cheesecake, it was the Dejah-in-peril aspects that turned me off, because I don't need to read any more stories about helpless women being rescued by big, strong men.

Wow, is that cover misleading! Sure enough, Dejah is snatched up by a monster, but she sure doesn't need rescue -- she takes care of that herself. And when John does arrive and tries to send her off while he dispatches the monster, she shrugs him off and grabs a sword. "I know better than to argue with you," John says. And together they help each out of bad spots, and dispatch the monster.

They are a team -- nothing more, nothing less. And watching them in action in this done-in-one was a lot of fun.

MOTORCYCLE SAMURAI, VOL. 1

I haven't any idea what this is. Take a look at that cover and see if you can guess! If you're interested, there's a preview link.

Publisher: TOP SHELF

Writer/Art/Cover: CHRIS SHERIDAN

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 168 pages • 7" x 9"

"Look hard into the storm clouds. You may yet see her, mounted on her electric steed, streaking past. The last hero of the West. The Motorcycle Samurai!" It's been called "the new benchmark for indie digital comics." Now discover the mad genius of The Motorcycle Samurai for yourself, as Chris Sheridan does the unthinkable: brings his creation to print! His boldly kinetic action will blow your mind.

As seen on Free Comic Book Day!

After roaring success as a Top Shelf digital exclusive, Chris Sheridan is taking his over-the-top Mad-Max-meets-Kill-Bill thrillride to your bookshelf, with the print debut of The Motorcycle Samurai! This 176-page full-color graphic novel will hit stores in July.

Motorcycle Samurai is exactly what I want from digital comics. Hell, it’s what I want from comics in general. It’s a great story that uses the medium in unique ways. More, please!” -- Mark Waid

GO HERE FOR A PREVIEW

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• SOMETHING AT THE WINDOW IS SCRATCHING

I chuckled enough while reading this collection of weird, short thoughts, illustrations and poems by "Lenore" writer/artist Roman Dirge that my wife started looking over my shoulder. She started laughing, too, because Dirge is a delightfully morbid cartoonist, a cross between the "Family Circle" guy and Charles Addams.

My only complaint is that there's not enough material here to justify the price. The book essentially alternates between a page with a cartoon with a page with some short prose or poetry. That's pretty skimpy, which I'm not sure is entirely outweighed by the funny.

6380f573-bf21-47d2-ac0e-59fbb6b9d211.jpg?width=525Writer/Artist: ROMAN DIRGE

128pp - FC - 7"x10" - $18.99 / $21.95 CAN / £13.99

RE-COLORED! RE-MASTERED!

This July, Titan Comics brings you SOMETHING AT THE WINDOW IS SCRATCHING -- the latest dark creation from the twisted mind of Lenore creator Roman Dirge!

From sinister to hilarious, this re-colored and remastered collection of short illustrated poems tells macabre and twisted children's tales for maladjusted adults.

From sinister one-page poems like "Critter Pie" and "Pear Head Man and Bread Boy" to longer stories such as "The Sideways Man" and the title story, "Something at My Window is Scratching". This is Roman at his most macabre best, short stories with creepy stings in their tales.

"I like the way Roman Dirge draws stuff!" -- Neil Gaiman

Check out some of the fantastic interior art by Dirge:

717391bb-04de-438c-8ff9-c280b369e9dd.jpg?width=2505c0cfccf-aa4e-4aa0-9378-25436dfc3c9c.jpg?width=2501936705403?profile=RESIZE_180x180STAN LEE'S CHAKRA THE INVINCIBLE #1

It's Stan Lee. I'm required by my fanboy creed to mention it.

STK676147.jpg?width=525Publisher: GRAPHIC INDIA PTE. LTD

Writer: ASHWIN PANDE & VARIOUS

Art/Cover: JEEVAN KANG

$2.99

Straight from the Free Comic Book Day release and based on the animated shorts seen on Angry Birds ToonsTV with over 30 Million views worldwide, Chakra The Invincible is the latest superhero from legendary creator Stan Lee. The first issue in the epic origin story of this new hero. "The incredible story of Chakra, one of my latest and most exciting superhero creations, promises to captivate audiences around the world with his adventures." -- Stan Lee.

SWORDS OF SORROW: RED SONJA & JUNGLE GIRL #1 (of 3)

SoSRSJG01CovAAnacleto.jpg?width=525Publisher: DYNAMITE

Writer: MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art: MIRKA ANDOLFO

Cover A: JAY ANACLETO

Teen + / 32 pages / $3.99

Red Sonja is plunged through the Rift to Jana the Jungle Girl's tropical island, just as paradise is besieged by a terrifying monster that rains down ice and snow with killing cold. Jana, terrified for her homeland, is determined to destroy the source of the magic and return balance to her world -- even if that means combating the She-Devil herself! An official tie-in to the epic Swords of Sorrow crossover event, written by celebrated writer Marguerite Bennett (Batgirl, Earth 2).

REVIEW

This issue is basically set-up, but three things jumped out at me:

1) Jungle Girl is drawn more petite than I've ever seen her (or want to see her);

2) Jungle GIrl is written as being rather stupid; and

3) If you want to see Red Sonja fight dinosaurs, you're in for a treat.

1936707672?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936710383?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936712731?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936712915?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936714696?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936717124?profile=RESIZE_180x180TIM GINGER

tim-ginger-banner.105505.jpg?width=525TimGingercover-69bb9.jpg?width=250Publisher: TOP SHELF

Writer/Art/Cover: JULIAN HANSHAW

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 160 pages • 6.5" x 9"

The prize-winning British cartoonist Julian Hanshaw makes his American debut with the rich and meditative story of Tim Ginger. Once a government test pilot, now a widower, Tim enjoys a quiet retirement in New Mexico ... until a conspiracy theorist starts asking uncomfortable questions, and the haunting reappearance of an old friend provokes some hard choices about when to let go and when to hold on.

"It's wonderful and inspiring to see a generation of authors with no preconceptions about what comics should be, and what sort of stories they should tell, flourish in this new golden age. Tim Ginger is an understated, wryly observed, and welcome addition to this gathering of new voices." -- Dave McKean

We're delighted to introduce you to Julian Hanshaw, a thoughtful and witty cartoonist with a painter's eye and a poet's heart. His new graphic novel Tim Ginger, a character study of a widowed ex-test pilot, is full of rich desert colors, childless couples, haunting dreams, and exhausting conspiracy theorists. For fans of Jeff Lemire, Alex Robinson, or Eddie Campbell, don't miss Tim Ginger!

REVIEW

This is a hard book to describe, much less review.

It's got elements of mystery, of sci-fi, of slice-of-life, of middle-age romance. The lead character, by design and by temperament, is an enigma. The story is reluctant to go anywhere, even when events try to force it to (just like the lead character). It occasionally involves cricket, because ... wow, cricket? Really?

The story doesn't climax as much as it sorta grinds to a halt. But at that point, I had to decide if I liked the book or not. And ... well, like the lead character I don't really seem to feel much. Did I like it? I don't know. Just another unsolved mystery, in a book full of them.

GO HERE FOR A PREVIEW

• Heresy! Harley Quinn didn't exist when the Batman TV show aired! *clutches pearls*

The real question is: If Harley Quinn had been on the show, what actress of the time would you have cast as her?

• AMERICA VS. THE JSA: I think you’re misremembering the ending, Cap (but I don’t want to give it away here). One thing about the original series is that it was the first comic I can recall which provided a full page of endnotes (on the inside back cover) rather than footnotes. The story was profusely annotated and is a good recourse for documenting the history of the team. It was though that footnotes in practically every panel would distract from the story. I applaud the decision. The endnotes are not included in this edition, however. But there are four pages of ads.

BATMAN ’66 #25: “Heresy”? Yeah, but what if the show had gone on for more than three season? This is the Harlequin that might have been! I read it last night and it was a kick seeing Harlequin associated with the Caesar Romero Joker. The story passed the true test as I heard Arleen Sorkin’s voice in my mind’s ear as I read her dialogue. The character previously appeared in issue #11, and BTW, this one’s named Holly Quinzel.

“The real question is: If Harley Quinn had been on the show, what actress of the time would you have cast as her?”

For this version: Hayley Mills.

BATMAN: GOTHIC: The original story left an impression on me. There was a lot in it about the architecture of churches that I found quite interesting. Klaus Janson was fresh off Daredevil at the time, and the issue one cliffhanger (criminals shining and inverted Bat-Signal into the sky) remains with me to this day.

• STIEG LARSSON’S THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET’S NEST (HC)

The two previous GNs weren't all that special, but they did give more of a flavor of the novels (and Scandinavian culture) than the movie did.

I haven't seen the US movie, but the three Swedish movies are excellent. I watched them on DVD dubbed into English. The dubbing is as close to perfect as I've ever seen. You'd never know the characters weren't really speaking English.

BLACKLIST #1

I wish I had something interesting to say, but I really didn't get much out of this book. That's probably because I don't watch the show, so I'm probably missing a lot! Sorry, gang.

I don't know about the book, but when you have time you should watch the show from the beginning. It's great stuff.

• That's easy: Goldie Hawn!

The Baron said:

Heresy! Harley Quinn didn't exist when the Batman TV show aired! *clutches pearls*

The real question is: If Harley Quinn had been on the show, what actress of the time would you have cast as her?

• @Captain Comics:

<< One question: Back in the long-ago time, I don't recall the Phantom Blot ever showing his face, but he does here, and quite a lot. Is this a recent innovation? Or a relatively recent one? >>

It is actually a very ancient one.  Not too many people know it, but the Phantom Blot was unmasked in his very first storyline while he explained his plans in court to Mickey and the police back in 1939 ("Mickey Mouse Outwits The Phantom Blot.")

Of course, he was then never unmasked (far as I know) for well over fifty years.  But a quick google search implies that this changed eventually.

• Thanks, Luis! I read a few Disney books in my youth -- my cousin loved Super Goof -- but I'm no expert. I appreciate any information anyone can provide.

• Luis, is there an explanation of why Disney comics remained viable in Latin America and Europe, when they ceased to be so in the US? I sometimes wonder about this.

• Disney comics used to be far more viable here in decades past, but they _have_ indeed been published nearly non-stop in some form or another since the 1930s.

There are several reasons why that is less true in the US, by my understanding.  Interestingly, Archie Comics (nearly unavailable here) seems to have a far better grasp of them than Marvel or DC.

- Distribution: Even today it is very easy to find affordable Disney comics (and not many others) conveniently available for impulse buying in supermarket racks placed besides the waiting lines for payment.  Children shopping with their parents are therefore capable of having some without too much trouble.

- Format: For most of the 1970s-1990s the usual format for comic books in Brazil (not just for Disney) is much closer to 4 " x 6 ", strongly or weakly themed anthologies of at least 40 pages of content (going up to 120, 200 or even 300) than to the more typical American format of 21-32 pages, 7 " x 10 1/2 ", paper that was very cheap and smelly in the 1960s and 1980s, then very glossy in the 1990s, just one main story or sometimes two shorter ones that are usually connected to each other.  

USA-typical comics are simply much dicer.  There is a much higher chance of spending money on them and then finding out that you wish you had not.  Having a cheaper format encourages impulse or casual buying over reliance on "buyer expertise".  Having most books be anthologies makes readers more likely to come back for more.

Even today, Panini uses something of an anthology format to package its Nu-Marvel and Nu-DC books in Brazil, although the page size and paper are much closer to those in the USA now.

- Perception: Many Brazilian publishers went the extra mile to reach out for the public.  Covers were often made in-house and made a point of giving a fair idea of what to find inside.  Letter pages were expected in most regular books, and tended to use a casual tone.  A significant number of stories were made domestically, to the point of creating new characters and giving something of a local color to others (it has been well-documented that Brazilian Donald Duck is a very different character than its several European namesakes, which are also fairly varied in personality as well as appearance).  Periodic lines of value-improved specials and extra editions with a generous number of pages and often specific themes are quite common.  Text-only features with some humor, themes of the day, or historical curiosities about the comics themselves are not at all unusual.

This reply was deleted.