Comics Guide for June 10, 2015

This week's Comics Guide, painstakingly collated and annotated for your maximum reading pleasure, was deleted due to technical reasons that drive Captain Comics into a murderous rage when he thinks about them. So he's not going to think about them. Instead, he's going to put together this quick & dirty guide with whatever coherent thoughts remain after the murderous-rage thing.

DARK HORSE COMICS

ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: FIRE AND STONE (TPB)

I'm looking forward to reading all the Prometheus-themed comics so that I might finally understand Prometheus.

CHRISTOPHER SEBELA (W), ARIEL OLIVETTI (A), AND E. M. GIST (COVER)

FC, 104 pages, $14.99

TPB, 7” x 10”

As the mercenary crew of the Perses leaves the horror of LV-223 behind them, one passenger reveals a terrible new danger and the crew soon find themselves in a deadly struggle between predator and prey! Collects issues #1-4 of Alien vs. Predator: Fire and Stone!

“Creators Christopher Sebela and Ariel Olivetti unleash a veritable host of horrors upon their unsuspecting cast.” -- IGN

HERE'S A PREVIEW

EC ARCHIVES: TALES FROM THE CRYPT VOL 1 (HC)

This is a second edition, as the first is out of print. Amazon shows original copies selling for $100+, but as Legionnaire LUKE BLANCHARD reported in his response to the original guide (now, alas, deleted), those numbers really can't be trusted. Anyway, the stories in this book are EC's first foray into the "New Trend" books, and are both good and historically important.

Al Feldstein (W/A/Cover), Gardner Fox (W), Johnny Craig (W/A), Ivan Klapper (W), Bill Gaines (W), George Roussos (A), Wally Wood (A), Harvey Kurtzman (A), Graham Ingels (A), and Jack Kamen (A)

On sale June 10

FC, 216 pages

$49.99

HC, 8 1/4″ x 11″

The Greatest Horror Title of All Time!

As any fan of comics knows, EC comics still represent the best of Golden Age writing and artwork. Now, Dark Horse Books is proud to bring you the very first issues of EC’s Tales from the Crypt, featuring the amazing artistic talents of Johnny Craig, Al Feldstein, George Roussos, Wally Wood, Harvey Kurtzman, Graham Ingels, and Jack Kamen! Collects The Crypt of Terror #17–#19 and Tales from the Crypt #20-22 in full color! 

HERE'S A PREVIEW

GRIP: THE STRANGE WORLD OF MEN (HC)

I never got into this particular Hernandez brother's writing or art, but if you're a fan, there's a double-shot this month: This much-delayed GN, and another book below.

GILBERT HERNANDEZ (W/A/COVER)

On sale June 10

b&w, 128 pages

$19.99

HC, 6″ x 9″

LOVE AND ROCKETS COCREATOR GILBERT HERNANDEZ!

Comics luminary Gilbert Hernandez delivers a genre mash-up unlike any other! When Mike Chang wakes up with nothing but a lipstick smudge, someone else’s suit, and amnesia, he’s thrown into a world of criminal gangs, crime fighters, skin swappers, and a one-eyed girl with bizarre powers! Collects Grip #1–#5.

• Expanded with new story pages!

• Never before collected!

HERE'S A PREVIEW

BLUBBER #1

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

(W/A/CA) Gilbert Hernandez

What's this? An all-new, stand-alone, one-shot comic book from one of our greatest living cartoonists? Christmas has come early! Featuring six mostly wordless, thoroughly surreal adventures featuring a cast of misfits, monsters, and anthropomorphs that could only spring from the id of the great Hernandez, last year's Eisner Award winner for "Best Short Story"! DEMONS AND ANGELS:

HARROW COUNTY #2

I really enjoyed the first two issues of this book. It's set on a farm, although when I can't tell -- sometime in the mid-twentieth century? Later? Hard to say. Anyway, the book does a nice job of contrasting pleasant, bucolic farm life with utter horror, and there's an ominous feeling of dread that grows and grows. It also helps that the protagonist, Emmy, is really likeable.

CULLEN BUNN (W) AND TYLER CROOK (A/COVER)

On sale June 10

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

An original Southern Gothic fairy tale from Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook!

As Emmy learns the secrets of her world from the strange and terrifying Tattered Skin, her father’s unusual behavior becomes ever more frightening, and the townsfolk begin to assemble with a deadly intent!

• Featuring two backup stories exclusive to the single issues!

• The chilling ongoing series from Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook (The Sixth Gun) continues!

HERE'S A PREVIEW

SOCIETY: THE BLACK LAKE #1 (OF 4)

According to interviews, the writer was going for a pulp/horror mash-up. Frankly, the pulp aspect doesn't really come through for me. Instead, it's more like an alternate history world, where wights and faerie and the Loch Ness Monster and so forth really exist. That's not a bad thing, but it just isn't very pulp-y.

DREW EDWARD JOHNSON (W/A/COVER) AND LIZZY JOHN (C)

ON sale June 17

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

They transformed her into a monster killer, but she was already something else!

Midnight Forty years ago, England’s greatest adventurers cast aside their friendship, making a choice that would come to haunt humanity. Now, secret agent Matilda Finn will face the consequences of that choice as she aids in a frantic rescue operation at Scotland’s Loch Ness, where something terrible is waiting to draw her into the fight of her life!

• Drew Johnson (Wonder Woman) brings his first creator-owned series to Dark Horse!

Praise for Drew Edward Johnson:

“Drew Johnson has drawn a beautifully elucidated world . . . The word ‘impeccable’ comes to mind.”—Walter Simonson

"Drew's work always takes me by surprise—not because it isn't always striking and beautiful, darker and more intensely fluid (how else to describe it?), but because it gets better and better as you get further into the tale.” —Dan Brereton

HERE'S A PREVIEW

REALMS: THE ROLEPLAYING GAME ART OF TONY DITERLIZZI (HC)

I never got much into RPGs, nor the comics that spun off from them. But if you're into it, here's a heads up for a nice-looking art book, as I can tell from the previews that I posted originally but are now deleted. Sorry. (There's a link to the preview below.)

TONY DITERLIZZI (W/A/COVER)

FC, 224 pages, $39.99

HC, 9″ x 12″

FC, 224 pages, $150.00

Ltd. Ed. HC, 9" x 12"

“Tony’s work has a distinct flair, a love for monsters, if you will. May you treasure these art pieces as much as I do.”—Guillermo del Toro

Depicting fantastical creatures, horrific monsters, and courageous heroes, Tony DiTerlizzi’s illustrations defined the worlds of Dungeons and Dragons, Planescape, and Magic: The Gathering in the imaginations of legions of devoted roleplaying gamers. This collection features never-before-seen artwork and photographs in addition to his most iconic roleplaying work. Introduction by Christopher Paolini (Eragon).

• The limited edition will include the book inside a slipcase, plus a unique signed print featuring new artwork and a signed removable portfolio. Limited to 350 copies.

New York Times best-selling author and illustrator!

• The first comprehensive collection of award-winning illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi!

HERE'S A PREVIEW

REBELS #3

Doggone it, I keep reminding myself to catch up on this title so I can comment. Next month for sure!

BRIAN WOOD (W), ANDREA MUTTI (A), JORDIE BELLAIRE (C), AND TULA LOTAY (COVER)

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

Join the fight for freedom!

Following the events on Lake Champlain, Seth’s long walk home is juxtaposed with a similar trial from his youth, when an unforeseen accident pitted a young Seth against both the harsh elements and his father’s harsher expectations. 

• From best-selling writer Brian Wood (The Massive, DMZ, Northlanders).

HERE'S A PREVIEW

DC COMICS

BATGIRL VOL 1: THE BATGIRL OF BURNSIDE (HC)

Recommended. Obvs.

Publisher: DC COMICS

(W) Cameron Stewart, Brendan Fletcher (A) Babs Tarr, Irene Koh (CA) Cameron Stewart

$24.99

Barbara Gordon is no stranger to dusting herself off when disaster strikes, so when a fire destroys everything she owns, she spots the opportunity for a new lease on life - and seizes it! Following the rest of Gotham City's young adults to the hip border district of Burnside, Barbara sets about building an all-new Batgirl...and discovers new threats preying on her peers! As the new hero of Burnside, Batgirl gets started by facing twin sister assassins on motorcycles! Collects BATGIRL #35-40.

BATMAN #41

I don't mind the new direction at all. I just wish the new Batman didn't look like Robo-Bunny.

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

Art by GREG CAPULLO and DANNY MIKI

Cover by GREG CAPULLO

THE JOKER Variant cover by SEAN MURPHY

On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

The all-new Batman makes his debut! Who is he, and what happens next? Find out here as a new era begins in Gotham City!

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #21

The new Batman meets the "new" Superman. Spoiler: They don't get along.

Written by GREG PAK

Art and cover by ARDIAN SYAF

THE JOKER Variant cover by JOCK

On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

The epic new storyline “TRUTH” continues! In this chapter, what are the consequences of a bond broken?

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

CATWOMAN #41

This storyline, with Catwoman as a mob boss, strikes me as a violation of everything that makes this character unique and popular. Newsflash: She's a cat, and cats aren't joiners. She would neither be a leader nor a follower. Also, she's neither good nor evil, operating entirely in gray areas, but this storyline firmly nails a black hat to her head, and removes any reason Batman might have for not arresting her.

Written by GENEVIEVE VALENTINE

Art by DAVID MESSINA

Cover by KEVIN WADA

THE JOKER Variant cover by JAVIER PULIDO

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

This issue will ship with two covers.

She’s still Gotham’s queen of crime – but now, in order to work all the angles, Selina Kyle is back as Catwoman!

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER #1

Written by MING DOYLE

Art and cover by RILEY ROSSMO

1:25 Variant cover by MING DOYLE

On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

The dark adventures of DC’s foremost occult detective continue in an all-new series as he investigates the cruelest case he’s ever come

across – his own dark history!

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

DETECTIVE COMICS #41

It looks like Renee Montoya and Harvey Bullock will be the stars of this book. Spoiler: They don't get along.

Written by FRANCIS MANAPUL and

BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art and cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

THE JOKER Variant cover by PATRICK GLEASON

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Following the events of “Endgame,” get ready to ride with the GCPD in a whole new city! Harvey Bullock is leading a Bat task force, but what are his duties, and can he be trusted? And what kind of welcome awaits his new partner, Renee Montoya?

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

EARTH 2: SOCIETY #1

Written by DANIEL WILSON

Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ

1:25 Variant cover by PAULO SIQUEIRA

On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

The survivors of Earth-2’s war with Apokolips find themselves on a new world, but can Green Lantern, Power Girl, a new Batman and the other heroes of Earth-2 create a new world that’s better than the last, or will their interference and good intentions doom this world, just like the old one?

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

GOTHAM ACADEMY #7

Does it count as a team-up if nobody's in costume? Anyway, this is a cute book, and the addition of the acerbic Damian Wayne will make it cuter.

Written by BECKY CLOONAN and BRENDEN FLETCHER

Art by MINGJUE HELEN CHEN

Cover by BECKY CLOONAN

THE JOKER Variant cover by CRAIG ROUSSEAU

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Special guest student Damian Wayne drops by the academy – and he is not pleased to meet his new classmates!

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

NEW SUICIDE SQUAD #9

I haven't enjoyed this book since John Ostrander stopped writing it. (Yes, I'm old.) But this issue comes with a Joker variant cover and a preview, so here it is.

Written by SEAN RYAN

Art by PHILIPPE BRIONES

Cover by JUAN FERRERYA

THE JOKER Variant cover by JIM LEE

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

An unstable, violent group has broken away from the League of Assassins! Only the Suicide Squad stands a chance of stopping them – if they’re willing to get even more unstable and violent!

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

RED HOOD/ARSENAL #1

I've disliked this cynical, amoral book since its inception, with my only interest being a vague hope that how Starfire was written would somehow improve. Now she's got her own book, there goes whatever slight interest I had in this one.

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

Art by DENIS MEDRI

Cover by HOWARD PORTER

1:25 Variant cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

These brothers in arms face off against incredible odds while burning their way through the underbelly of the DC Universe – and it’s only a matter of time until they get gunned down in return!

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

SECTION 8 #1

This was a cute bit in Garth Ennis' Hitman, but I have no idea how they can turn it into an ongoing series.

Written by GARTH ENNIS

Art by JOHN McCREA

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

1:25 Variant cover by JOHN McCREA

On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T+

The greatest super heroes of all time, unseen since the end of the hit series HITMAN, have returned for the greatest super hero story ever told!

Befuddled hero Sixpack returns to Gotham City, desperate to rebuild the all-star team known as Section Eight in the face of a deadly threat. He gathers old friends Bueno Excellente, Baytor and the seemingly reborn Dogwelder, along with some new faces – but he still needs that elusive eighth member. And that’s when the Dark Knight Detective gets an offer he can’t refuse in part one of this unforgettable six-issue miniseries.

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

STARFIRE #1

Thank God this character has been rescued from Scott Lobdell! Her presentation in Red Hood and the Outlaws as an alien sex puppet with the brains of a goldfish was beyond offensive.

Written by AMANDA CONNER and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

1:25 Variant cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

From the writers of the outrageous smash hit HARLEY QUINN comes former Outlaw Starfire in her all-new ongoing series! She’s an alien warrior princess trying to find peace on Earth, and she’ll fight anyone and anything to get it!

HERE'S A 10-PAGE PREVIEW.

MARVEL COMICS

1602 WITCH HUNTER ANGELA #1

This title adds the Neil Gaiman-created Angela to the Neil Gaiman-created 1602. It's a Gaimanpalooza!

MARGUERITE BENNETT with KIERON GILLEN (w)

STEPHANIE HANS with MARGUERITE SAUVAGE (a)

Cover by STEPHANIE HANS

Variant Cover by RICHARD ISANOVE

GWENGELA VARIANT COVER BY TBA

• In the altered realms of BATTLEWORLD, Angela and Sera are WITCH HUNTERS, the scourges of King James’ England, 1602.

• In a land beset by magic and monstrosity, they seek a new and seductive evil—not witchbreed, but deal-making FAUSTIANS, who bargain with ancient creatures for unnatural power!

• Moral ambiguity? Fancy allusions? Marguerite making the most of that English degree?

• tl;dr – try 1602 WITCH HUNTER ANGELA #1!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

There's a lot of Ant-Man product in the pipeline. Dunno why. This week features:

ANT-MAN: SCOTT LANG (TPB)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

(W) David Michelinie & Various (A) Various (CA) Bob Layton

$24.99

Meet 2015's silver-screen sensation in waiting - Scott Lang, the astonishing Ant-Man! To save his daughter, Cassie, Scott is forced to return to a life of crime, stealing Hank Pym's original costumed identity. But when his noble intentions win the Avengers' approval, he takes over as the all-new Ant-Man, full-time! Electronics whiz Scott secures a job with Tony Stark, but the size-changing super hero must save Iron Man after a brutal battle with the Hulk. No shrinking violet, Scott holds his own in astonishing adventures with Spider-Man, the Thing and the Avengers. And when Ant-Man and Hawkeye join forces, somebody's gonna get it! Collecting MARVEL PREMIERE #47-48, IRON MAN (1968) #131-133 and #151, AVENGERS (1963) #195-196 and #223, MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #103, MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE (1974) #87, and material from AVENGERS (1963) #181 and IRON MAN (1968) #125.

MARVEL'S ANT-MAN PRELUDE (TPB)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

(W/A) Various (CA) TBD

$14.99

Get ready for Marvel's next smash-hit film with this all-new official prequel! Before Scott Lang becomes Marvel's shrinking sensation, his predecessor, Dr. Hank Pym, will pull on the Ant-Man helmet and leap into action on a death-defying mission into the icy heart of Cold War East Berlin! Then, thrill to an all-new Infinite-style adventure set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as explosive new details in the history of the astonishing Ant-Man are revealed! But can the lessons of his past prepare him for the trials he's about to face? Plus: classic stories featuring pivotal moments in Scott Lang and Hank Pym's lives! The action-packed buildup to Marvel's Ant-Man begins here, so get on board now! Collecting MARVEL'S ANT-MAN PRELUDE #1-2, ANT-MAN: CINEMATIC INFINITE COMIC #1, MARVEL PREMIERE #47-48, ANT-MAN #1 and AGE OF ULTRON #10AI.

CAPTAIN MARVEL & THE CAROL CORPS #1

I love that Marvel is publishing this no-nonsense, confident woman.

KELLY SUE DECONNICK & KELLY THOMPSON (w)

DAVID LOPEZ (a/C)

VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEODATO

ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

MAOS VARIANT COVER BY TBA

ANT-SIZED VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

• Atten-Hut!  These ladies are the best of the best--and will take you down if you threaten their Captain.

• Welcome to Hala Field, where being a part of the elite Carol Corps, requires guts, guile and a whole lot of grit.  So put on your uniform and get ready for a high-flying Captain Marvel series years in the making.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

GHOST RACERS #1

Any story that takes the Ghost Rider concept beyond the Johnny Blaze/Danny Ketch paradigm can only be an improvement, sez me.

FELIPE SMITH (w) • JUAN GEDEON (a)

Cover by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

SLADE VARIANT cover by DAN PANOSIAN

ROBBIE REYES VARIANT COVER BY TRADD MOORE

ANT-SIZED VARIANT COVER BY MARK TEXEIRA

FURIOUS RACE FROM HELL IN A BLAZING ARENA OF HORROR!!!

• Welcome to the scorching-hot track where cursed souls race at the speed of sin, anything and everything goes and the only rule is no rule--it’s the spectacle known as the GHOST RACES; the most hellish “entertainment” known to BATTLEWORLD!

• 1st place prize: Temporary freedom from the ARENA, but what happens to the unlucky and unholy losers?

• It’s all-out, high-speed warfare among the most bizarre and vicious GHOST RIDERS of the MARVEL UNIVERSE. Expect MANY familiar SKULLS!!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

MARVEL ZOMBIES #1

Interesting premise.

SIMON SPURRIER (w) • KEV WALKER (a/C)

Cover by Ken Lashley

Variant Cover by GREG LAND

ANT-SIZED VARIANT COVER BY Jerome Opeña

• Elsa Bloodstone is stationed on the Shield, burdened with the Sisyphean task of keeping the zombie hordes from rampaging through Battleworld.

• In those moments where she’s not enrapt in the throes of battle, she meditates on her deceased father…how everything he taught her gave her the means to fight the zombies, but all the love he didn’t give her is what motivated the self-destructive actions that landed her on the Wall in the first place.

• But when she sees a human child caught in the middle of the zombieverse, she’ll muster every ounce of determination she has to throw herself into the zombie horde to rescue the girl.

• And once Elsa finds her, she’s going to have to fight her way back out…

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

MRS. DEADPOOL AND THE HOWLING COMMANDOS #1

One of the variant covers lost when the original page was deleted was yet another homage to "Queen II." Comics artists really like that cover for some reason.

GERRY DUGGAN (w) • SALVADOR ESPIN (a)

Cover by REILLY BROWN

HOWLING VARIANT COVER BY TBA

TEAM VARIANT COVER BY TBA

VARIANT COVER BY ADAM WARREN

• She is Shiklah -- undisputed Queen of the Monster Metropolis below Manhattan!

• In the world that was, she married Deadpool, the Merc with the Mouth ...

• ...But nothing on Battleworld is quite as it was.

• Now, she commands the Howling Commandos: Werewolf By Night! Frankenstein’s Monster! The Living Mummy! Man-Thing! And Marcus the Centaur!

• What would her late husband think of that???

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

I think this is really cute and clever. (YMMV)

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #1 (3RD PTG)

Written by RYAN NORTH

Art & Cover by ERICA HENDERSON

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #2 (3RD PTG)

Written by RYAN NORTH

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #3 (2ND PTG)

Written by RYAN NORTH

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #4 (2ND PTG)

Written by RYAN NORTH

Is she tough? Listen bud: she’s got partially squirrel blood. And she’s also got new printings coming to comic shops this June! That’s right, the first four issues of THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL are coming back to the shelves, sporting four new connecting covers featuring art by Erica Henderson and new “alt. text” by writer Ryan North! Together the covers spell out Squirrel Girl’s catchphrase: EATS NUTS, KICKS BUTTS!

Jump on board the hit series from the very beginning with these new printings! Marvel as Squirrel Girl braves collegiate life and makes new friends! Gaze in wonder as she, uh, breaks into Avengers Tower to steal Iron Man’s armor! (It’s for a good reason, promise!) Witness her go tail to toe with the deadly Whiplash! Gape in awe as she and her stalwart squirrel companion Tippy-Toe take down Galactus, the freakin’ Devourer of Worlds!!!

You don’t know what you’ve been missing! Don’t believe us? Here’s what some of the critics had to say:

“When a comic is this well-crafted, it’s hard not to be impressed.” -- Newsarama

“Witty and wise, funny and fast, each page and panel is sure to crack even the most stone-faced smile.” -- IGN

“Henderson’s art goes with North’s dialogue like peanut butter with jelly.” -- Comic Book Resources

“I can’t recommend the new Squirrel Girl book enough. It’s NUTS!” -- Dan Slott, writer of THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

Now is your chance to get caught up on the series that has the industry and fans everywhere going nuts! Don’t miss the new printings of the first four issues of THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL when they scamper into comic shops this June!

WEIRDWORLD #1

Like Dark Crystal and possibly Labyrinthe, the original Weirdworld seemed like an attempt to tap into the fantasy aspects of Lord of the Rings without capturing its magic. This version, which adds the redundant Conan pastiche Arkon and other odds and ends, promises to be a lot better than the sum of its lame parts.

JASON AARON (w)

MICHAEL DEL MUNDO (a/C)

VARIANT COVER BY STEVE EPTING

VARIANT COVER BY SIMON BISLEY

VARIANT COVER BY JENNY FRISON

MAOS VARIANT COVER BY TBA

YOUNG VARIANT COVER BY SKOTTIE YOUNG

DESIGN VARIANT BY MICHAEL DEL MUNDO

BLANK VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE

• Welcome to the wildest, most dangerous new corner of the Marvel Universe. Welcome to Weirdworld.

• A world of swords and sorcery and strange, perverted science. A world where one barbarian walks alone, on a dark and savage quest though all things weird and fantastic from throughout Marvel history.

• His name is Arkon. A lost man in a lost world. Follow him if you dare.

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

OTHER PUBLISHERS

21ST CENTURY TANK GIRL #1

I've finally figured out Tank Girl. It's not meant to be a narrative so much as an experience. And Tank Girl herself isn't a character, so much as the embodiment of youthful rebellion. We're supposed to get in touch with our inner adolescent (or our outer one, if that's how old we are) and thrill to Tank GIrl doing all the things that adolescents want to do, but are told not to. Tank Girl gives a middle finger to any and all authority, uses drugs and alcohol to excess, behaves completely irresponsibly and never considers consequences. And, of course, it all turns out fine. Tank Girl is just an adolescent fantasy -- and I suppose I'm the last to figure that out. But, hey, give me a break: My adolescence is lost to the mists of time!

Mature/$3.99

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

(W) Alan Martin (A) Jamie Hewlett & Various (CA) Jamie Hewlett

Jamie Hewlett returns to Tank Girl! After a break of 20 years, artist extraordinaire Jamie Hewlett (GORILLAZ) is leaping back on the Tank Girl wagon, re-teaming with series co-creator Alan Martin to bring you a whole new take on the foul-mouthed, gun toting, swill-swigging hellion! Featuring riotous 100% original content from Hewlett & Martin along with contributions from a host of series stalwarts and newcomers, get your head down, put your hands over your private parts, and prepare for a chaotic collection of strips, pin-ups, and random carnage!

ADVENTURES OF AERO GIRL #2

The first issue was really enjoyable, alternately cute and poignant. As with Harrow County, it helps that the lead character is really likeable.

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

(W) DeWayne Feenstra (A) Axur Eneas (CA) Axur Eneas, Juan Paul Reibeling

$3.99

Jacqueline Mackenzie, the daughter of Foxbay's preeminent hero, was coming into her own as a sidekick when her world was shattered. Now, racked with guilt, she must decide between the responsibility of protecting her city and a mother that no longer wants her to be a hero. Thankfully, she won't face this dilemma alone...

ADVENTURES OF TAD MARTIN #SICK SICK SIX  

I normally avoid autobiographical comics, not only because I find them self-indulgent and narcissistic, but because often I find the author's life to be less interesting than my own, and where is my graphic novel? But this one caught my attention for the awesome name "Casanova Frankenstein," but also the Will Eisner stylings on the cover.

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

(W/A/CA) Casanova Frankenstein

$6.66

Casanova Frankenstein reclaims the confessional, auto-bio comic book and transcends the well-worn shock of self-exploitation. He demonstrates the raw power of the comic book form by dissolving genre tropes and reader expectations. His ink bears witness to the allness of life, the ambiguity and the messiness, and does not define any one thing in order to manipulate or steer your emotions. This is the language of the heart!

I'm impressed by these covers, and not just because of the bodacious ta-tas. This Coronado fellow is obviously well-versed in blocking, lighting and rendering.

BANZAI GIRL VOL 1: BY DREAMS BETRAYED (HC)

Publisher: RED GIANT ENTERTAINMENT

(W/A/CA) Jinky Coronado

$24.95 / $14.95

The webcomic sensation explodes! As envisioned by its creator, Banzai Girl tells the tale of Jinky Coronado, an Asian schoolgirl whose nightmares of being a Princess and a Future Freedom Fighter foretell extraordinary events in her real life. Shadow Whisperers and Filipino monsters of myth such as the Snakeman and the Mananangagal are the Eastern "urban legends" that Jinky and her friends will face head on. Plus, bonus art by Mike Deodato, Dean Yeagle, Al Rio and Will Conrad!

EXPOSURE VOL 2: BLIND FAITH (HC)

Publisher: RED GIANT ENTERTAINMENT

(W) David Campiti & Various (A) Jinky Coronado, Larry Tuazon (CA) Jinky Coranado

$29.95 / $19.95

First time in print! ParaTech's Lisa Shannon and Shawna Diaz uncover a sinister secret involving ancient artifacts and rituals, multiple murders, a mysterious cult, and zombies! Insidious forces scheme to stop them, leading to betrayals and one of their very own becoming part of the fallen. What happens when the ParaTech team finds itself down a member? A journey of faith will be needed to fight a final battle - one of life, afterlife, and beyond!

DEATH SENTENCE: LONDON #1

PUBLISHER: Titan Comics

STORY BY : Montynero

ART BY: Martin Simmonds

32 pages / FC / $3.99

• Death Sentence: London continues the phenomenal critical and sales hit rampant with sex, drugs and superpowers!

• Making this perfect jumping-on point, awesome all-new rising star artist Martin Simmonds joins co-creator Montynero (X-Men Annual, Verigo CMYK) for a wild ride!

• Picks up right where the bestselling graphic novel left off – with London in ruins, psychic manipulator Monty ripped in half by failed musician Weasel - and rabbit-hatted invisible artist Verity missing, presumed dead!

• As England pulls itself back from the brink, new G-positive powers are popping up all over!

• As martial law and forced abstinence prey on the mind of the London Mayor, the American alphabet agencies are watching the London warzone with interest – and special agent Jeb Mulgrew might be next to be thrown into the fire!

• Gorgeously grimy fully-painted art by hand-picked creator Martin Simmonds!

• As timely and resonant as ever, and packed with all the creative swearing, outrageous use of powers and satirical social commentary you've come to love – Death Sentence is back to lay claim to your hindbrain and devastate your pull list!

CREATOR SPOTLIGHT: MARTIN SIMMONDS -

CREATOR SPOTLIGHT is a new feature designed to provide an insight into the brilliant minds behind Titan Comics’ upcoming creator-owned titles.

I sat down with Martin to discuss breaking into the industry, jumping on the Death Sentence circus, and his work on the series. – Owen Johnson, Senior Press & Marketing Officer.

Why comics?

My first memorable experience of comics is reading 2000AD and marveling at the great work from artists like Brian Bolland, Carlos Ezquerra, Cam Kennedy and Mike McMahon. The stories were like nothing I’d experienced before, and there was something really appealing about a weekly anthology comic full of such a diverse range of stories.  When I was a little older, I discovered my local comic shop and it opened up a whole world of great titles and introduced me to the work of hundreds of amazing artists and writers.

As a reader, comics offer something different in terms of storytelling – there’s an immediacy to reading a comic, but equally re-reading an issue or graphic novel can offer something new that you hadn’t noticed the first time round.

As an artist, I love the collaborative aspect of creating comics - in my experience, it's such an organic process between creators, from scripting to the final pages going to print, and nothing beats seeing the final pages lettered, which is where it all falls into place.

How did you get started in the industry?

As well as visiting cons and attending portfolio reviews with publishers/editors, it made sense to meet other creators at a similar stage in their careers to me, collaborate on small projects and get our work out there for people to see it. It meant we could exhibit at cons, meet other like-minded creators and hopefully get some exposure.

I was lucky enough to collaborate on a couple of small press anthologies - Dead Roots (with Paul Alexander) and Disconnected Volume 2 (with PM Buchan), followed by working with Mike Garley (writer) on the self-published comic Eponymous. From there I started to pick up a few cover art commissions for small projects/pitches, before collaborating with Monty on Death Sentence London.

What drew you to working on Death Sentence?

Monty and I had chatted at cons before and got on well, so when he approached me about working on the second volume of Death Sentence, I jumped at the chance. I was a huge fan of the first volume and in my opinion it was THE comic of 2013/14. Monty and Mike created a truly original, anarchic and darkly funny masterpiece with Death Sentence, and I knew it'd be a fantastic project to get involved in.

What can readers expect from your work on Death Sentence?

Monty's pulled out all the stops with the writing, so expect some pretty intense visuals to match.  Hopefully, all the subtleties and dynamics we've worked into the pages will come across and fans of the original series will enjoy where we are taking things. 

We’re both really proud of what we’ve created, and hopefully that should come across in the pages!

What are the key influences on your style?

Growing up, I'd have to say Bill Sienkiewicz, Kent Williams and Dave McKean made the biggest impression on me. I love expressive, dynamic styles – so along with Sienkiewicz, Williams, and McKean, I’d list Jock, Frazer Irving, Greg Tocchini, Phil Noto and Tommy Lee Edwards as key influences.

When I first discovered Frazer Irving's work, I got that same feeling of excitement as the first time I saw McKean's work on Violent Cases or Sienkiewicz's Stray Toasters. The way he colours his pages is amazing - really vibrant, intense colour palettes, and definitely a major influence on how I colour my work.

Outside of comics, I'd have to say my major influences are Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, Aubrey Beardsley, Coby Whitmore, Bob Peak, Saul Bass and Ralph Steadman.

What does creating this comic book mean to you?

It’s my first opportunity to work on a comic for a long run and I’ve really learnt a lot from the process. The chance to collaborate with Monty meant that I not only get to work with a fantastic writer but also on a title that I was already a big fan of. Mike's art in Volume 1 is amazing, so the bar was set extremely high, and I knew it'd be a real challenge to maintain that high standard but that was part of the appeal. It’s been an absolute joy to work on, developing new characters and knowing that you are adding to the Death Sentence universe is really exciting.

Praise for Death Sentence:

"Brilliant. Genuinely original" -- Mark Millar (Kick-Ass)

"A more mature X-Men style of comic" -- Comic Bastards

"The artwork excels"  -- Comic Book Therapy

"Like a great punk rock song"  -- Comics Bulletin

"A high quality, good fun, action-packed, dystopian science fiction comic" -- Sonia Harris, CBR

"The artwork matched the story it was trying to convey perfectly"  -- Pissed Off Geek

"Thought provoking, entertaining & engaging in equal measure"  -- Comics Anonymous

"The original DEATH SENTENCE was a singular work of art ... how do you top that? ... MontyNero and Martin Simmonds achieve exactly that"  -- Dr. Shathley Q.

Check out the trailer:

DISCIPLES #1

I don't know anything about this, but anything by Steve Niles is worth a look.

Publisher: BLACK MASK COMICS

(W) Steve Niles (A/CA) Christopher Mitten

Mature/$3.99

Dagmar, Rick, and Jules, intrepid private eyes/bounty hunters, have been hired by a high ranking Senator to retrieve his teenage daughter who's run off to join a mysterious religious cult.

This is no ordinary cult though. In the near future of "The Disciples," the ultra-wealthy have become true Masters Of The Universe by colonizing moons throughout the solar system. Billionaire industrialist McCauley Richmond is one such colonist: he's built a new society on Ganymede, a moon of Jupiter, where his flock of cultists can have the religious freedom to worship him.

But when the team reaches Ganymede in their Starship Venture, they discover something has gone horribly wrong...

This ghost story in space reunites comics' king of the macabre Steve Niles with his longtime collaborator Christopher Mitten, whose stylish mix of grit and flow matches Steve's sharp characterizations and taste for screams.

Here's this week's Whovianpalooza:

DOCTOR WHO 10TH #11

(W) Nick Abadzis (A) Elena Casagrande (CA) AJ

$3.99

The Fountains of Forever! Cindy and Gabby have a falling out after Gabby's homecoming, as an ancient artifact from the center of the universe, a rogue Black Ops organization, and a secret auction conspire to cause galaxy-shattering chaos!

DOCTOR WHO 12TH VOL 1: TERRORFORMER (HC)

(W) Robbie Morrison (A) Dave Taylor (CA) Alice X Zhang

$19.99

The first hardcover collection of the twelfth Doctor series! On the terraformed ice planet of Isen IV, the Doctor and Clara discover a monstrous Hyperion has been awakened at the planet's core. Can they halt the rampage of a living star, in the middle of the celebrity wedding of the century, before it escapes to conquer the galaxy? And when Clara and the Doctor land in India, a conspiracy hundreds of years in the making comes to light! The Thuggee cult of Kali is trying to resurrect one of the most deadly aliens yet known. Split across two time zones, our heroes must stop Kali's return at all costs!

EMMA MANGA CLASSICS (GN)

I'm fascinated by these East-West mash-ups.

Publisher: UDON ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Jane Austen

$19.99

Just in time for the 200th anniversary, Manga Classics: Emma brings Jane Austen's classic tale of youthful folly and romantic exuberance to a modern audience with this beautiful new manga adaptation. The impulsive match-making of Emma Woodhouse delivers both humor and heartache through the gorgeous artwork of manga-ka Po Tse

FORAGER (GN)

I've loved everything Palmiotti & Gray have written, starting with Jonah Hex. Otherwise I know nothing about this GN.

Publisher: JET CITY COMICS

(W) Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray (A/CA) Steven Cummings

$9.99

An all-ages sci-fi adventure from bestselling writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray and breakout artist Steven Cummings (Wayward)! In an attempt to save their crumbling marriage, Glenn and Joan Travers take their six-year-old daughter Ellie, on a week's vacation aboard a luxury Star Liner orbiting the Earth and Mars. Soon after reaching orbit, Ellie begins hearing voices from what she calls angels, claiming they are, "coming for our world." As the days pass, Ellie alarmingly slips in and out of a catatonic state for short periods of time, each time explaining that the angels are getting closer. Are the angels real? Is Ellie suffering a mental breakdown? Or are we about to make first contact with an alien intelligence? Featuring a pin-up by Darwyn Cooke!

FOX #3 HASPIEL

I've been around for every attempt to reboot the MLJ superheroes, from the "Mighty Heroes" to present. And, honestly, this is the first time I've been impressed. Archie isn't trying to be Marvel this time, by constructing a coherent universe with all these characters. Instead, they're trying to make each character unique and interesting in its own right, to the point where team-ups don't even seem possible. And, you know, that's the right way to do it.

Publisher: ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS

(W) Mark Waid (A) Dean Haspiel & Various (CA) Dean Haspiel

$3.99

"Fox Hunt," Part 3: "The Devil You Know." Just as The Fox was through being a superhero, his son was putting the final touches on a gift for his dad - a sidekick. Enter: Kitsune, the Ghost Fox! But unbeknownst to father and son, a criminal mastermind has just put a million dollar bounty on the Fox's head. Now our hero must make sure his son isn't killed by an entire city filled with villains, including some familiar faces out for vengeance! Emmy award-winning artist Dean Haspiel and Eisner Award-winning writer Mark Waid bring you the next chapter in Dark Circle's most twisted tale yet! Featuring a regular cover by Haspiel and variant cover art from Chris Samnee and Steve Rude!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1936700778?profile=originalNEW SUICIDE SQUAD #9

This has an unfortunate ISIS feel to it.

• The small print on the Squirrel Girl covers is worth a close look. Thanks for the nod, Cap.

I suspect all the Joker covers are homages, but the only one I can place is New Suicide Squad #9, after Avengers #145, as I think the Captain pointed out in his original post. I feel I should know the Batman/Superman #21 one - a movie poster? The Gotham Academy #7 one must be to a DC horror cover.

• Could Batman/Superman #21 be homaging the movie poster for Face/Off? It's not perfect, but it's close.

• I'm pretty sure I've seen an image with the three stripes over a face and a similar blurred style, but I can't place it for the life of me.

I found three covers with haunted portraits - Marvel's Tower of Shadows #1 and DC's Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #14 and Ghosts #102 - but none with layout matching the alternative Gotham Academy cover.

The Sinister House of Secret Love #3 has a woman with a candle. The GCD's page on it has a link to an item at Martin O'Hearn's blog here which notes that the cover of that issue was a reprint from a novel (the Paperback Library edition of The House of Terror).

• Is the Section #8 #1 cover by Amanda Connor? That doesn't look like her signature and I don't recognise her style there.

(Update) I get it now: the cover above is the John McCrea one.

• Right. DC sent the McCrea variant with the solicitation. Here's the Conner cover:

section8.jpg

• Thanks, Cap.

This reply was deleted.