ACTION MAN #1

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer: JOHN BARBER

Art: PAOLO VILLANELLI

Cover: CHRIS EVENHUIS

Theme Variant: PAOLO VILLANELLI

Action Figure Variant: PHOTO

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

ACTION MAN IS DEAD—LONG LIVE ACTION MAN! He’s the world’s greatest special agent … until he dies saving the planet, with all the world’s eyes on him. Now his young protégé has to step into the role—whether he’s ready or not!

• As seen in Rom #0 Free Comic Book Day!

• From the writer of Transformers and the artist of Snake Eyes!

• An all-new take on the ultimate British special agent!

• When the U.S.A. had G.I. Joe—the U.K. had Action Man!

• In the spirit of James Bond, John Steed and Kingsman—Action Man is here!

• Variant cover by Andrew Currie!

I read Rom #0, but I don't remember Action Man. I'll read the first issue to see if it has potential.

* Possible review on June 22.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

AMERICA #1

Publisher: OVERGROUND COMICS

Writer: JON HUGHES

Art/Cover: JASON PEARSON

$3.99

Formerly an invincible superhero, America loses her powers mysteriously. Unwilling to cease her dangerous crime-fighting antics, America finds herself addicted to the returning sensation of pain.

Um, yuch. Most women do not enjoy pain. And too many have to put up with physical and emotional abuse in our society on a daily basis. So this makes me uncomfortable.

ARCHIE #9

Script: MARK WAID

Art: VERONICA FISH, ANDRE SZYMANOWICZ, JEN VAUGHN, JACK MORELLI

Cover A: VERONICA FISH

Cover B: KHARY RANDOLPH

Cover C: Andrew Robinson

32-page • full color comic • $3.99 U.S.

Archie is forever barred from Lodge Manor! Now Veronica has to live in Archie’s world if she wants to see him—and she’s turning the whole Andrews family upside-down!​

Waid is just killing it on this title. 

ART OF DOUG SNEYD (TPB)

Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writers: DOUG SNEYD, HUGH HEFNER, LYNN JOHNSTON

Art/Cover: DOUG SNEYD

FC • 248 pages • TPB • 9'' x 12'' • Age range: 18 • $19.99

The scintillating cartoon works of Doug Sneyd, an artist for Playboy magazine since the early 1960s, return to print in this stunning softcover art book. Readers will be charmed by these most deliciously hilarious of Doug’s full-page cartoons featuring the lovely Sneyd girls and the one-line jokes they so ably illustrate!

• Foreword by Playboy publisher Hugh Hefner.

• Introduction by Lynn Johnston, creator of the comic strip For Better or For Worse.

I remember this guy from when I was stealing my brother's Playboys. I really admired his technique, and I don't just mean the boobies. I think this needs to be on my bookshelf.

BLACKLIST #10

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: NICOLE DAWN PHILLIPS

Artist: BENI LOBEL

Cover A: COLIN LORIMER

Cover B: Photo Cover

FC • 32pp • $3.99

As the FBI races to stop the Arsonist from igniting his most lethal attack yet, Red and Liz's pursuit takes them into the very belly of the secret Cabal organization. When the Arsonist's surprising final target is revealed, Red, Liz, and the FBI task force find themselves all in the line of fire.

I'm neither watching the show nor reading the comic. But they sent a nice preview.

CIVIL WAR II CAVALCADE

Five Civil War II books this week. If you're reading this series, I hope you've allocated sufficient funds!

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

CIVIL WAR II: CHOOSING SIDES #1 (of 6)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by DECLAN SHALVEY, BRANDON EASTON, CHAD BOWERS & CHRIS SIMS

Art by DECLAN SHALVEY, PAUL DAVIDSON, LEONARDO ROMERO

Cover by JIM CHEUNG

Variant Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

Character Variant by PHIL NOTO

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

40 PGS. • Rated T+ • $4.99

If you knew something bad was about to happen, would you stop it? How far would you go to prevent an uncertain future? The line in the sand has been drawn, and everyone must choose – do you stand with Iron Man, or with Captain Marvel? That question will be answered this June as heroes and villains across the Marvel Universe make their decision in CIVIL WAR II: CHOOSING SIDES #1 – debuting this June! 

Featuring fan-favorite characters and top-tier creators, each issue of CIVIL WAR II: CHOOSING SIDES contains three all-new stories detailing the conflict taking place throughout the Marvel Universe. First, comic superstar Declan Shalvey (Moon Knight, Deadpool) pulls double duty as he writes and illustrates a Nick Fury story running through all 6 issues of CIVIL WAR II: CHOOSING SIDES. Which side of the issue will Marvel’s premier super-spy fall on? Plus, Brandon Easton (Marvel’s Agent Carter) and Goran Sudzuka (Wonder Woman) bring you a tale of Night Thrasher and Chad Bowers, Chris Sims and Leonardo Romero present the return of Damage Control!

“We all grew up having those ‘Who’d win in a fight?’ arguments right?” asks Chad Bowers, speaking with Marvel.com. “I think what [this story does] is takes that same idea and ages it up a bit. It grounds the conflict in something ethical, and relatable. It reminds us that even though these guys are on the same teams, and they dress the same, they’re still individuals. It’s really Marvel storytelling at its best, because of how human it feels. ”

But that’s not all! Future issues of CIVIL WAR II: CHOOSING SIDES will feature Jessica Jones, Power Pack, the Punisher, War Machine and more! Those are just a taste of the characters whose lives are about to change. Will the fight to protect the future? Or battle to change tomorrow? Find out this June as Nick Fury, Damage Control and Night Thrasher choose their sides in CIVIL WAR II: CHOOSING SIDES #1!

For more on Civil War II: Choosing Sides, visit Marvel.com for an interview with Shalvey, Sims, Bowers and Romero!

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SAM WILSON #10

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SAM WILSON #10

NICK SPENCER (W) • ANGEL UNZUETA (A)

Cover by DANIEL ACUñA

Civil War Reenactment Variant by CHRIS STEVENS

32 PGS. • Rated T • $3.99

CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN!

• In a time of crisis, Sam is called upon to honor a fallen hero-- and speak to a divided nation. But is anyone listening?

MS. MARVEL #8

Written by G. WILLOW WILSON

Art by TAKESHI MIYAZAWA & ADRIAN ALPHONA

Cover by CAMERON STEWART

Civil War Reenactment Variant by SIYA OUM

32 PGS. • Rated T+ • $3.99

CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN!

This June, as the blockbuster Civil War II heats up, Kamala Khan gets called to the front lines to join the fray! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look inside MS. MARVEL #8 – a Civil War II tie-in from creators G. Willow Wilson, Takeshi Miyazawa and Adrian Alphona! A new Inhuman has emerged, one with the power to predict the future. The heroes of the Marvel Universe are faced with a choice. Wield this new power to change the future as they see fit, or reject it – and allow tomorrow to unfold unaltered. As the battle lines are drawn, which side will Kamala choose? Is she ready to take a stand against her idol and mentor, Captain Marvel? Find out this June as Civil War II comes to Jersey City in MS. MARVEL #8!

TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #7

Writer: GREG PAK

Art/Cover: ALAN DAVIS

Civil War Reenactment Variant by MIKE PERKINS

32 PGS. • Rated T •$3.99

CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN!

• BRUCE BANNER'S fate during the 8-month gap post-SECRET WARS is revealed!

• Was he really cured by AMADEUS CHO? Did he survive?

• Has Amadeus made a disastrous miscalculation?

ULTIMATES #8

Publisher: MARVEL COMICSWritten by AL EWING

Art & Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

Civil War Reenactment Variant by MIKE MCKONE

32 PGS. • Rated T+ • $3.99

CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN!

They are the ultimate team for the ultimate solutions. But what happens when they come face-to-face with the ultimate foe? Today, Marvel is pleased to present your look inside ULTIMATES #8 – the blockbuster Civil War II tie-in from fan-favorites Al Ewing and Kenneth Rocafort! Thanos has made landfall on Earth. It’s  the Ultimate’s job to stop him. And they won’t be enough. Even if they win this battle – will the ultimate super team survive the high cost of victory? As the conflict of Civil War II begins -- can Carol’s team stick together? Plus – as the Ultimates prepare for war, the deadly Anti-Man plots his next move. Be there as the Ultimates enter the Civil War II fray this June in ULTIMATES #8!

CREEPY COMICS #24

Writers: PETER BAGGE, DAN BRAUN, RHIANNON RASMUSSEN-SILVERSTEIN

Art: RICHARD CORBEN, RICARDO CABRAL, PETER BAGGE, TONY GUARALDI-BROWN(A), GLENN FABRY and others

Cover: RYAN BROWN

B&W • 40 pages • $3.99 • Ongoing

Final Issue!

Before Uncle Creepy goes into hibernation, we’re bringing Richard Corben back to the pages of Creepy! Regular contributor Dan Braun will collaborate with Corben on an all-new story, writer Rhiannon Rasmussen-Silverstein joins forces with Portuguese artist Ricardo Cabral, and Peter Bagge revisits the Creepy Family Tree! Tony Guaraldi-Brown delivers a killer Monster Gallery piece, Glenn Fabry provides a disturbing color pinup, and more surprises fill this final foray into fright!

Final issue? Dang, I just discovered this title! It really feels like a '70s Warren book, and I mean that as a compliment. (I think some of the features are actually reprints from Warren books.) 

DEADPOOL DUMP

Only two Deadpool books this week? Getting sloppy, Marvel!

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

DEADPOOL V  GAMBIT #1

Publisher: MARVEL COMICSWritten by BEN ACKER & BEN BLACKER

Art by DANILO BEYRUTH

Cover by KEVIN WADA

Variant Cover by TIM SEELEY

32 PGS. • Parental Advisory • $3.99

Gambit – one of the smoothest, best looking operators in the world. Deadpool – one of the most annoying, ugliest dirtbags around. Naturally these two have beef. Be there this June when tensions reach their boiling points in DEADPOOL V GAMBIT #1 – a new limited series from writers Ben Acker & Ben Blacker (Thunderbolts) and artist Danilo Beyruth (Gwenpool)! Did you know that the “V” stands for “Vs.”? Crazy, right? Know what’s crazier? These two have a secret history together – working to pull con jobs across the Marvel Universe. That’s right, and now the Regeneratin’ Degenerate and the Ragin’ Cajun are begrudgingly taking on one last job together. What could possibly go wrong? Hey, is that Spider-Man and Daredevil?! The grift is go and the con is on this June as these two go head-to-head in DEADPOOL V GAMBIT #1!

DEADPOOL: DRACULA'S GAUNTLET (TPB)

Written by BRIAN POSEHN & GERRY DUGGAN

Penciled by REILLY BROWN, KHARY RANDOLPH, SCOTT KOBLISH & NELSON DECASTRO

Cover by FRANK CHO

200 PGS. • Parental Advisory • $24.99

Dracula has chosen a bride. She’s a succubus queen of the undead, and their union will end eons of conflict in the monster world. Only one problem: He’s hired Deadpool to find her! The stakes are high, middling and painfully low as wascally Wade goes all Indiana Jones in a bid to dig up Drac’s long-buried intended — battling teleporting assassins, Greek legends and even the vampire hunter Blade! And when Deadpool finally meets the bride-to-be, even he gets cold feet about this unholy matrimony. If Wade won’t run this gauntlet, Dracula will throw down the gauntlet. And that means sending Werewolf by Night and the most literal Frightful Four of all time to retrieve his quarry. As an all-out Monster Mash looms, how far is Wade willing to go to stop this wedding?

Collecting DEADPOOL: DRACULA’S GAUNTLET #1-7.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

DEATH’S DARK ANGEL #1 (OF 1)

Publisher: AMERICAN MYTHOLOGY PRODUCTIONS

Writer: JACK HERMAN

Art: NEIL VOKES, RICH RANKIN

Cover: NEIL VOKES

Blank Sketch Available

$4.99

It's the 30th anniversary of Neil Vokes and Rich Rankin's innovative black & white comic Death's Dark Angel! Originally published as Death's Head by Crystal Comics, the story featured the deadly future echo of Eagle which evolved into a terrifying twisted version of the man he was. Now the silent killer has turned his sights on his past self and is set upon destroying those in the way of his singular mission. This edition has been fully remastered with an incredible ink wash finish that brings new life to the original story pages. And the Vokesverse continues to expand and gives us a first look at an all new Death's Dark Angel story coming later this year! This is the ultimate introduction to the fertile imagination and characters of a comic book artistic legend!

I suppose they changed the name because Marvel has Death's Head trademarked.

DEPT. H #3

Writer/Art/Cover: MATT KINDT

Colors: SHARLENE KINDT

FC • 28 pages • $3.99 • Ongoing

Matt Kindt’s survival sci-fi series continues!

After being stranded on the ocean floor, Mia is brought back to headquarters and leads a rescue party to bring back her missing brother. As the investigations into his disappearance and the station’s destroyed antenna continue, a terrible virus emerges and wreaks havoc on the crew.

“This is flat out fantastic. Classic Matt Kindt—mesmerizing, strange, soulful.”—Junot Díaz (Pulitzer Prize–winning author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao)

So far, so good. Despite my reservations about the art, the story is intriguing and appropriately claustrophobic.

DIVINITY II #3 (of 4)

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by MATT KINDT

Art by TREVOR HAIRSINE

Cover A by JELENA KEVIC-DJURDJEVIC

Cover B by TOM MULLER

Variant Cover by ANDREW PEPOY

Variant Cover by CARMEN CARNERO

Variant Cover by ADAM GORHAM

$3.99 • 32 pgs. • T+ • VALIANT PRESTIGE

The world runs red!

Abram Adams’ former teammate – the long-lost cosmonaut Myshka – has returned from deep space…and, seemingly overnight, the former Soviet Union has taken charge as the globe’s dominant economic and military force. As the Western world grapples with the ensuing chaos and confusion of Russia’s rapid return to power, Divinity and Ninjak attempt to marshal resistance against an empire enabled by the god-like will of one of its own true believers. But nothing escapes the sight of the super-powered gods that now walk among us…and our fate will be forever decided when Myshka targets Divinity for control of our world’s destiny!

The sold-out sci-fi saga that forever changed the course of the Valiant Universe turns the world upside-down all over again as New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (4001 A.D.) and explosive artist Trevor Hairsine (DIVINITY) unleash an all-new chapter!

I.D. (TPB)

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: EMMA RÍOS          

80 PAGES • FC • M • $9.99

A dystopian tale that analyzes the conflict between perception and identity through the struggle of three people who consider a “body transplant” as a solution to their lives.

“I.D. and ISLAND brought me back to the place in comics I love the most,” said Ríos.

PRAISE FOR EMMA RÍOS AND I.D.:

“Ríos shows considerable writing talent to go along with her huge skill as an artist.”  — The Onion’s A.V. Club

“Her art is nothing short of fantastic.” — The Daily Planet

“Emma Ríos’s I.D. is the most promising story here [in ISLAND], drawn in a naturalistic yet subtly unsettling style done in tones of red that keeps its dystopia in the background — at least until it literally crashes through the front door.” — The Comics Journal

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

FRUITS BASKET COLLECTORS EDITION VOL 1 (TPB)

Publisher: YEN PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: NATSUKI TAKAYA

$20.00

After a family tragedy turns her life upside down, plucky high schooler Tohru Honda takes matters into her own hands and moves out, into a tent! Unfortunately for her, she pitches her new home on private land belonging to the mysterious Sohma clan, and it isn't long before the owners discover her secret. But, as Tohru quickly finds out when the family offers to take her in, the Sohmas have a secret of their own -- when touched by the opposite sex, they turn into the animals of the Chinese Zodiac!A perennial favorite of fans and librarians alike, Natsuki Takaya's beloved bestselling Fruits Basket series returns to print in gorgeous deluxe English-language omnibus editions with beautiful full-color illustrations that are not to be missed!

FRUITS BASKET COLLECTORS EDITION VOL 2 (TPB)

Writer/Art/Cover: NATSUKI TAKAYA

$20.00

When she was living in a tent pitched on the Sohma family's land, Tohru Honda's primary concerns were dirt and slugs. But now that she's living with the Sohmas, she's gotten a crash course in magical powers and ancient curses! And as if keeping the Sohma clan secret wasn't bad enough, Tohru has to work overtime to prevent all the jealous girls from finding out that she's living under the same roof as the school prince, Yuki, and the school hothead, Kyo! What new drama will Valentine's Day bring into Tohru's life?

This book is popular enough that even I was aware of it when it was published a few years back. So here it is again for those interested in Plucky High School Student genre of manga.

Incidentally, Wikipedia helpfully notes that the title always makes "Fruits" plural because there is no "tuh" sound in Japanese, so the "tsuh" sound is used instead. This, of course, just raises the question of why "Basket" isn't plural as well. Getting sloppy, Wikipedia!

IRWIN ALLEN LOST IN SPACE #3

Publisher: AMERICAN GOTHIC PRESS

Writers: HOLLY INTERLANDI, CAREY WILBER

Art: KOSTAS PANTOULAS

Cover: PATRICK MCEVOY

$3.99

The "Curious Galactics" storyline concludes! In an alien desert maze, Will and John Robinson trek on, now chariotless; fighting off strange creatures and rationing water and food the best they can. The situation seems hopeless, but it may be something entirely different from courage that gets the Galactics' attention. Adapted from the original unfilmed teleplay!

A number of Legionnaires seem to really enjoy this title, so here's a heads up. Plus a preview!

JAMES BOND #7

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: WARREN ELLIS

Art: JASON MASTERS

Cover: DOM REARDON

32 pages • Teen + • $3.99

After World War Two, army intelligence groups created ghost cells called "stay-behinds" across Europe in the event of a Warsaw Pact surge. "EIDOLON" is the story of a SPECTRE stay-behind structure -- ghost cells of SPECTRE loyalists acting as sleepers until the time is right for a SPECTRE reformation and resurgence. The time is now.

New story. The first story is also supposed to ship as a collection this week, if you're a trade-waiter.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #52

Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by DAN ABNETT

Art by PAUL PELLETIER and SANDRA HOPE

Cover by PAUL PELLETIER and TONY KORDOS

32 pg • FC • $3.99 US • RATED T

A TITANS: REBIRTH #1 prelude! Set shortly after the formation of the Justice League, Batman introduces his new partner Robin (Dick Grayson) to the team just as it’s pulled into a deadly assault on Metropolis by mysterious creatures. Outclassed and terrified, the Boy Wonder must use his wits and guile to survive. And in doing so, he catches the attention of a foe that will alter the course of his life forever. This story ties directly into TITANS: REBIRTH #1!

Grossly delayed, this book should have shipped before DC Comics: Rebirth, Titans: Rebirth and Action: Rebirth. Getting sloppy, DC Comics! It wraps up the New 52 verson of the JLA.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

LA MUERTA DESCENT #1

Publisher: COFFIN COMICS

Writers: BRIAN PULIDO, MIKE MACLEAN

Art/Bones Cover: JOEL GOMEZ ($7.99)

Naughty Cover: MONTE MOORE ($40.00)

Premium Cover: SCOTT LEWIS ($25.00)

Regular Cover: MIKE KROME ($7.99)

Mature • 48 pages

Present day. Maria Diaz, a U.S. soldier, returns from Afghanistan to be reunited with her family on the Mexican holiday, Dia de los Muertos.  But her brother has fallen in with The Zavalas, a death-worshipping crime cartel led by the nefarious Mama Z. When they see the family celebrating, they believe they've been ripped off by them. The entire family is murdered in cold blood. Maria wakes out of a coma Eight months later to find her family dead and gone. She seeks justice, finds none. Daring the impossible, Maria decides to avenge her family and send the Zavalas to hell. Can one woman defeat an entire crime cartel and what will be the cost to her humanity?  Featuring 48 pages of story & art!

I want to see a crossover with Lady Death!

LARA CROFT AND THE FROZEN OMEN (TPB)

Writer: CORINNA BECHKO

Pencils: RANDY GREEN, CARMEN CARNERO

Inks: ANDY OWENS

Colors: MICHAEL ATIYEH

Cover: JEAN-SEBASTIEN ROSSBACH

FC • 120 pages • $19.99 • TPB • 7” x 10”

It’s up to Lara Croft and Carter Bell to stop a group of cultists from causing worldwide cataclysmic devastation! Ancient ivory artifacts hold the key to both salvation and destruction, and these rivals turned friends must recover them before the cultists in a race against time! Lara’s newest quest is filled with incredible action, dual pistols, and high-spirited adventure in the same universe as the Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris games! Collecting issues #1–5 of Lara Croft and the Frozen Omen by Corinna Bechko!

A great entry point for new readers!

This book started strong but weakened, I thought. But I haven't read the concluding chapter yet, so I'll reserve opinion until I read the whole thing.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

LUCAS STAND #1

Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writers: KURT SUTTER, CAITLIN KITTREDGE

Art: JESUS HERVAS

Cover: LEE BERMEJO

Mature • $3.99

What's to Love: Ever since we first saw Sons of Anarchy, we knew creator Kurt Sutter had an amazing comic book story in him. Now we've got it in Lucas Stand, his first, original comic book series. If you've been looking for a new antihero like Jax Teller to root for, Lucas Stand fits the bill.

What It Is: Lucas Stand is a military vet who can't reintegrate into society and has emotionally cut himself off from the people he loves. At his lowest, Lucas does something he can't take back. Hell comes calling, offering him the opportunity to make things right. Demons escaping Hell are upsetting the balance of evil, and now Lucifer has recruited Lucas to send them back. It doesn't matter in what era the demons escape -- World War II, old-timey Hollywood, Vietnam, present day -- he must learn to fit in both the past and the present. Given new purpose, Lucas starts to rebuild himself and his life, even as he struggles at the human cost that comes with it.

Who knew there were so many TV and movie screenwriters who have been dying to write comic books? Maybe they're just floating ideas for TV shows and movies.

MYTHIC (TPB)

Writer: PHIL HESTER    

Art/Cover: JOHN McCREA

200 PAGES • FC • M • $16.99

“MYTHIC is a joy to read.” — Rick Remender (LOW, TOKYO GHOST)

Eisner-nominated writer Phil Hester (Green Arrow, INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE) teams up with Eisner-winning artist John McCrea (Hitman, The Boys) for the fascinating folkloric fantasy MYTHIC TPB, which collects issues #1-8.

Science is a lie, an opiate for the masses. The truth is, magic makes the world go ‘round. And when magic breaks, MYTHIC fixes it. Apache shaman Waterson, Greek immortal Cassandra, and cell phone salesman Nate Jayadarma are tasked with keeping the gears of the supernatural world turning—and you from ever knowing about it.

PRAISE FOR MYTHIC:

“A refreshing dip into the supernatural side of the indie scene.” — Bloody Disgusting

"Mythic is a joy to read. Come and witness the unbridled imagination of two of the best creators in comics. Or don't. I'm not the boss of you. But you should." — Rick Remender (LOW, TOKYO GHOST)

“A rip-roaring adventure to a world full of magic ... and it’s not just good. It’s great.” — Comics Alliance

“I love what these guys do separately and love them even more together.” — Mark Millar (HUCK, JUPITER’S LEGACY)

“Something quite wonderful; one of the most auspicious debuts of the year.” — Nerdspan

"Mix mirth and magic and the result is truly Mythic!” — Dave Gibbons (Watchmen, Kingsman: The Secret Service)

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

NORTHLANDERS BOOK 01: THE ANGLO SAXON SAGA (TPB)

Written by BRIAN WOOD

Art by DAVIDE GIANFELICE, DEAN ORMSTON, RYAN KELLY, DANIJEL ZEZELJ and MARIAN CHURCHLAND

Cover by MASSIMO CARNEVALE

464 pg • FC • 7.0625” x 10.875” • $29.99 U.S. • MATURE READERS

These tales illustrate the harsh life of the Viking invasion and occupation of the British Isles from the 8th to 11th centuries. Families are broken, lives are saved, and death is everywhere in these gritty tales from NORTHLANDERS #1-16, #18-19 and #41.

“[A] tight balance of story that blurs the lines between genres ... it’s fantastic.” — Word of the Nerd

I absolutely loved this series, as I absolutely love everything Viking related. Yes, I am a Vikingophile, and proud of it! Thor is so much cooler than Hercules! Futhark is the coolest of all alphabets! OK, so there was a lot of looting, pillaging and raping. It was a living! Times were tough! And Vikings were tougher! They were tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties! (Oh, wait, that's Uncle Scrooge.) Well, they were cool, and this book is cool, and I recommend it.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

OVERLORD VOL 1 (GN)

Writer: KUGANE MARUYAMA

Art/Cover: HUGIN MIYAMA

$13.00

Momonaga used to have a boss. Now he is the final boss in Yggdrasil, a game world made real, in the manga adaptation of the super popular light novel series Overlord! What do you do when your favorite game shuts down? Momonga decided to stay logged in right up until the very end. But when the servers go dark, he finds himself transported into the game world -- and he's been transformed into his skeletal avatar from the game, awesome magical powers included! But what if he's the villain of his own story?

See? Even the Japanese think Norse mythology is cool.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

PENNY DREADFUL #1 (Second Print)

Writer: KRYSTY WILSON-CAIRNS

Artist: LOUIE DE MATINIS

Cover: ABIGAIL LARSON

FC • 32PP • $3.99

The hit TV series is presented in comics for the first time! This prequel reveals the terrifying events that led Vanessa to try and find her missing childhood friend, Mina Harker, and exposes the true nature of the vampiric monsters infesting Victorian London. Beautifully realized by Louie De Martinis, and written by the scriptwriters of the hit show!

Did I read this when it first came Out? I don't remember! But I'll read it now, and let you know what I think. That is, if I can get past the Eva Green cover. Oh, Eva, my sweet, I could make you happy, I know it!

THE PHANTOM COMPLETE SERIES: THE CHARLTON YEARS VOL 5 (HC)

Publisher: HERMES PRESS

Writers: JOE GILL & VARIOUS

Art: FRANK BOLLE & VARIOUS

Cover: DON NEWTON

$60.00

The mid-1970s comic book adventures of The Phantom return in full, glorious color! Hermes Press has collected, concluding with this volume, all 74 issues of The Phantom comic books that ran from 1962-1977. This book collects issues #65-74, the last 10 stories from the series which features stories and artwork by the inimitable Don Newton. The Charlton comic book version of the grand-daddy of costumed heroes, The Ghost Who Walks, is available again, digitally remastered to look better than the original books. Also featured is an exhaustive essay on Don Newton and other special features.

This wraps up the original comic book Phantom, although Amazon says my copy will be delayed. Getting sloppy, Amazon! Anyway, if you haven't seen this art by the much-missed Don Newton, you owe it to yourself to be amazed.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

POWER UP (TPB)

Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: KATE LETH

Art/Cover: MATT CUMMINGS

$19.99

What's to Love: New York Times bestselling author Kate Leth (Adventure Time: Seeing Red, Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!) and artist Matt Cummings (Adventure Time) create a new, original series that takes the magical girl story where it's never, ever been before. Combining a deep love of Sailor Moon with the tongue-in-cheek humor of Scott Pilgrim, Power Up is the story of the most unlikely people (and goldfish) taking on the roles of Magical Girls, whether they want it or not.

What It Is: It has been foretold that four noble warriors of incredible strength would be gifted with cosmic abilities at a moment of planetary alignment ... which, yeah, something definitely went wrong here. Amie is a disaffected twentysomething with a lot of attitude, Kevin is a washed-up athlete way past his prime, Sandy's a mother of two teenagers and Silas ... is a goldfish. Just a normal goldfish. Are we sure we read that prophecy right? Collects the complete limited series.

Sounds like a parody or satire of the Magical Girl genre of manga. Maybe the Baron can tell us more.

PLETHORA OF PS ARTBOOKS

Needless to say, I've already ordered these (and the next few collections as well). I've long since run out of bookshelf room, and now I'm starting to run out of floor space to stack books!

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: THIS MAGAZINE IS HAUNTED VOL 1 (HC)

Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

Writers/Art: SHELLY MOLDOFF & Various

Slipcase Edition: 125 copies in full colour slipcase • 256 Pages • £44.99 / $69.99

Bookshop Edition: 1,875 Copies hardback book • 256 Pages • £36.99 / $59.99

Here’s another forgotten or bypassed old comicbook in the great tradition of the likes of EC Comics and the PS multiple-volume library of Harvey’s horror line-up, featuring a dizzying bevy of gnarled and twisted tales of post-death revenge and retribution. The first seven issues (and more animated corpses than you could shake a stick at) are presented to you for just a tiny fraction of what you would expect to pay for a mint-condition version of just one copy the actual comic ... and this intoxicating first volume is in hardcover.

Features the artwork of Sheldon Moldoff, George Evans, Bernard Baily, Bob Powell and Leonard Frank.

About This Magazine Is Haunted -- Volume One

Due to be published for April 2016, this first volume brings together October 1951 to October 1952 issues #1-7.

Limited to just 2,000 copies and split across two editions.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: JOURNEY INTO FEAR VOL 1 (HC)

Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

Writers/Art: Various

Slipcase Edition: 125 copies in full colour slipcase • 252 Pages • £36.99 / $59.99

Bookshop Edition: 1,875 copies in full colour slipcase• 252 Pages • £44.99 / $69.99

You wanna snapshot of this baby? Check out these two tales.

A woman convinces her lover to kill her rich husband. The lover does so by blowing the husband's head off with a gun. After the wife and her lover get married and cash in on the dead man's insurance, the headless corpse of the husband comes back from the dead looking for a new head (‘Your Head For Mine’ -- like, what would YOU call it?!)

Why hasn’t this stuff been shortlisted for a Pulitzer! And, as if that were not quite enough:

Lorna is trained to hate men. She finds a witchcraft book. She begins a crusade of turning men into worms and squishing them. She accidentally squishes the man she loves. She takes poison, as worms come out of the walls to revenge themselves ("Crawling Evil").

(Hey, should I have included spoiler alerts there?) Wonderful!

About Journey Into Fear -- Volume One...

This first volume brings together May 1951 to May 1952 issues #1-7.

Limited to just 2,000 copies and split across two editions.

PUPPET MASTER VOL 3: THE WOODEN BOY (TPB)

Publisher: ACTION LAB

Writer: SHAWN GABBORIN

Art:  ANTONIO ONTIVEROS

Colors: DAN OLVERA

Cover: GLENN LUMSDEN

Back Cover: ANTONIO ONTIVEROS, DAN OLVERA

128 pgs. • T+ • FC • $11.99

Film and comics collide in THE WOODEN BOY as the Puppets go toe-to-toe with the human-sized doll, Camille! This trade paperback collects issues #8-11 of the ongoing series.

For nearly 20 years a life-sized puppet has tormented the children of the Bouldeston Institute for Mentally Troubled Tots and Teens. When her scare tactics escalate to murder, a young patient named Anthony seeks out the Puppets hoping they can stop their former Master's rampage. Things, however, are never as simple as they seem.

An original story based on Full Moon Entertainment’s cult classic film series PUPPET MASTER! PUPPET MASTER: WOODEN BOY TPB can be enjoyed by fans of the films as well as fans of the ghastly world of horror. You don’t even need to have read previous issues of PUPPET MASTER to appreciate this story arc.

The series is written by Shawn Gabborin (FRACTURE), who creates an intense story filled with mystery and mayhem ... lots and lots of mayhem! He’s joined by artist Antonio Ontiveros and colorist Dan Olvera, who both bring Blade, Leech Woman, Pinhead and many other puppets to life with their artwork.

Eric Shea of Weird Science said “Shawn Gabborin does a fantastic job in blending his stories with what's come before and with incredible art all the way through, this continues to be the best place to continue the Puppet Master fun that started from the film series.” and Nat Behmer of Wicked Horror said “I’ve been intrigued a lot by this third arc because it’s never been entirely clear exactly what was going on—in a good way—but everything comes to a head in this issue with stunning results. No pun intended, but Puppet Master (#11) just kills it.”

This story adds to the mythology of the PUPPET MASTER series in many ways and will leave you with questions you’re dying to know the answers to. Root for Anthony, who has some mysteries of his own, as he navigates his way through the halls of Bouldeston Institute for Mentally Troubled Tots and Teens.

I don't read the Puppet Master series, nor have I ever seen any of the movies. But Action Lab provided both a press release and a preview, so far be it from me to deny the Legion a look!

PUSS IN BOOTS #3

Writers: MAX DAVISON, ALEX MATTHEWS

Artists: EGLE BARTOLINI & Various

Cover A: Photo

Cover B: Photo

FC • 32pp • $3.99

A mysterious pedlar sets up his shop in San Lorenzo. But when his magic shoes enslave the townsfolk it's up to Puss and a band of fairytale vigilantes - the screaming Banshee, Shockheaded Peter and Fintin the Salmon of Wisdom- to save the day. And in a special bonus story, Dulcinea is distraught when she finds a vital page is missing from her famous Book. Puss, the orphans and Mayor Temeroso try to help with hilarious results!

Again, Titan sent a nice preview, so I feel obliged to post it.

RAI #14 ("4001 A.D.")

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by MATT KINDT

Art by CAFU

Cover A by DAVID MACK

Cover B by ANDRES GUINALDO

Character Design Variant by ANDRES GUINALDO

Interlocking Mega-Cover Variant by RYAN LEE

$3.99 • 32 pgs. • T+

Rocketing out of the pages 4001 A.D … the origin of Rai revealed!

For the first time ever, witness the violent foundation of Father’s space-born utopia of New Japan…and, with it, the shocking genesis of the line of guardians that bear the name Rai! Born and bred by Father to enforce peace at any cost, follow the next Rai and their successors across two millennia as they chronicle the history of 4001 A.D. – from the launch of New Japan into orbit to the latest Rai’s crusade to bring it crashing back down to Earth!

Valiant mastermind Matt Kindt (4001 A.D.) and visionary artist CAFU (UNITY) bring the 41st century to life with another, all-new jumping-on point revealing the sinister history of Father’s empire…before the dawn of 4001 A.D.!

Same as above.

REBIRTH BONANZA

The Rebirth continues with five more books this week. DC is providing DRCs, so I'll review them June 22 when the embargo is over.

ACTION COMICS #958

Written by DAN JURGENS

Art by PATRICK ZIRCHER

Cover by MIKEL JANIN

Variant cover by RYAN SOOK

32 pg • FC • $2.99 US • RATED T

NOW SHIPPING TWICE MONTHLY!

This issue will ship with two covers.

“PATH TO DOOM” Chapter Two

Luthor and Superman must put aside their differences and face the common threat of Doomsday, as Jimmy Olsen and the Planet staff try to uncover the truth: who is the man claiming to be Clark Kent?

THEY SAID IT: “Superman is synonymous with the word ‘superhero’,” says artist Patrick Zircher. “He’s the greatest. Drawing ACTION COMICS fills me with a passion to make great comics.”

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

AQUAMAN #1

Written by DAN ABNETT

Art and cover by BRAD WALKER and DREW HENNESSEY

Variant cover by JOSHUA MIDDLETON

“THE DROWNING” Chapter One

Black Manta returns, and as Aquaman attempts to broker lasting peace between Atlantis and the surface world, his greatest foe engineers a plan to destroy everything and everyone the undersea hero loves.

THEY SAID IT: “I’m excited to draw a vast undersea world with all the visual flourishes of fantasy and science fiction that it affords,” says artist Brad Walker. “I’ve done so much work in outer space-based comics, and I love the freedom that allows.”

DETECTIVE COMICS #935

Written by JAMES TYNION IV

Art and cover by EDDY BARROWS and EBER FERREIRA

Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

“RISE OF THE BATMEN” Chapter Two

Batman and team find themselves in the crosshairs as the villain they’ve begun hunting turns the tables on them. Batman and Batwoman have the skills to survive, but do their young teammates? Is this where hero training ends in tragedy?

THEY SAID IT: “The ideas are boiling inside my brain,” boasts artist Eddy Barrows. “James and I intend to elevate Batman to a whole new level, with amazing and exciting stories and artwork. To sum it up in one sentence—it’s going to be epic!”

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

THE FLASH #1

Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art by CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO

Cover by KARL KERSCHL

Variant cover by DAVE JOHNSON

“LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE” Chapter One

A new storm brews over Central City and disproves the old adage about lightning never, well…you know. Just as Barry begins to feel overwhelmed fighting crime, a new speedster debuts—but just where did this amazing new friend come from?

FLASH FACT: “2016 is the 60th anniversary of Barry Allen becoming The Flash, and it’s a privilege to be a part of it,” says writer Joshua Williamson. “‘The Return of Barry Allen’ in FLASH #79 [1993] is one of my favorite comics of all time. It’s where I became a Flash fan for life.”

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

WONDER WOMAN #1

Written by GREG RUCKA

Art and cover by LIAM SHARP

Variant cover by FRANK CHO

“THE LIES” Chapter One

Why has the Lasso of Truth stopped working for the Amazon Princess? Start down the rabbit hole as dark secrets from Wonder Woman’s past unravel her present!

THEY SAID IT: “Drawing Wonder Woman isn’t just drawing a comic, it’s drawing an icon—the most famous and recognizable female superhero in the world,” exclaims artist Liam Sharp. “To get to draw her in her 75th year, with a new storyline scribed by no less than Greg Rucka, makes this without a doubt the most important drawing gig of my 30 years in comics.”

RED SONJA VOL 3 #6

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art: ANEKE

Cover A: MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

32 pages • Teen + • $3.99

In the second of our two-part finale, the Hyrkanian forces clashes, sister against brother, in bloody civil war for the Falcon Throne. Revelations, explosions, betrayals, and triumph await as the soul of Hyrkania -- and Sonja herself -- hang in the balance.

First storyline comes to an end.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

RRH VOL 1 (TPB)

Publisher: DEVILS DUE /1FIRST COMICS, LLC

Writer: ORLANDO HARDING

Art: ANDRES ESPARZA

Cover: CANAAN WHITE

$17.99

It all seems to be crashing down on Sydney as she prepares for a life and death struggle against the vicious werewolf clan! And when is she supposed to have time to study for the ACTs? And is attending her prom really still a realistic goal? Collects issues #1-5.

Sounds very Buffy-ish.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

SHE WOLF #1

Writer/Art/Cover: RICH TOMMASO

24 PAGES • FC • M • $3.99

SHE WOLF, by fan-favorite cartoonist Rich Tommaso (DARK CORRIDOR) will lead the pack this June with a chilling, fever-dream mystery that will keep fans hooked from page one.

A surreal exploration in horror, SHE WOLF follows a teenage girl who believes she's been bitten by a savage werewolf. Soon after, she begins to experience feverish nightmares that seamlessly bleed into her everyday reality.

"This is the most surreal thing I've ever written—a horror tale about a teenage werewolf who uses witchcraft to become a higher level of demon," said Tommaso. "The backdrop is Sparta, New Jersey—where I grew up during the wild '80s. As strange as this story is, the tiny parts that ARE autobiographical are more vivid blended into this mysterious world than some of the 100% straight-auto-bio comics I've done in the past."

Another teen-girl werewolf story? Must be something in the water. I'll read the first issue to see if it has potential.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

SPACE DANDY VOL 1 (GN)

Writer: MASAFUMI HARADA

Art/Cover: SUNG-WOO PARK

$13.00

From the mind of Shinichiro Watanabe, the man behind one of the most popular manga and anime franchises of all time, Cowboy Bebop, comes Space Dandy! Lean, mean and always on the preen, Dandy is a slick space explorer looking to make a buck on the next unidentified alien species that has the misfortune of crossing his path! That is, provided he doesn't get eaten by monsters, shot down by the baddies on his tail, or distracted by a sweet rack at his favorite bar, BooBies, first! Sail into intergalactic adventure with Space Dandy, a dandy guy in space!

Elvis in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

A SURFEIT OF STAR TREK!

STAR TREK: COUNTDOWN COLLECTION, VOL. 1

Writers: MIKE JOHNSON & TIM JONES

Art: DAVID MESSINA

Cover: JOHN WATSON

TPB • FC • $24.99 • 184 pages

Graphic novel adventures leading up to the 2009 movie! In the 2009 movie Star Trek, audiences were introduced to Nero, the mysterious Romulan that ultimately threatened the survival of the entire universe. Find out his origin and what drove him to perform such heinous deeds as well as what he did in those cold, dark, lonely years he spent waiting for his nemesis to arrive.

Star Trek Beyond releases July 2016!

• Read the stories that expand the film!

STAR TREK: COUNTDOWN COLLECTION, VOL. 2

Writer: MIKE JOHNSON

Art: DAVID MESSINA, CLAUDIA BALBONI, LUCA LAMBERTI

Cover: JOHN WATSON

TPB • FC • $24.99 • 200 pages

Graphic novel adventures surrounding Star Trek Into Darkness!

Leading straight into the movie Star Trek Into Darkness, the crew of the Enterprise becomes embroiled in a decades-old conflict between two factions of indigenous people on a remote planet. The flames of their conflict have been fanned by the unexpected presence of a former captain of the Enterprise, long presumed dead. Plus, witness the shocking origin of Khan Noonien Singh from his earliest years through his rise to power during the epic Eugenics Wars and behold the events that led to his escape from Earth aboard the Botany Bay.

Star Trek Beyond releases July 2016!

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS ADAPTATION #1

Written by CHUCK WENDIG

Art by LUKE ROSS

Cover by ESAD RIBIC

Sketch Variant by ESAD RIBIC

Variant covers by JOE QUESADA,  PHIL NOTO and JOHN CASSADAY

Movie Variant Also Available

Cassaday Sketch & Quesada Sketch Also Available

40 PGS. • Rated T • $4.99

The movie that took the world by storm is jumping from the silver screen to the comic page this June! Straight from a galaxy far, far away to the comic book page, Marvel is proud to bring you STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS ADAPTATION #1 – the first chapter in a blockbuster 5-issue limited series! Marvel is rolling out the red carpet with covers and variants by some of the biggest names in the entire comic book industry.  Featuring variants by Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada, chart-topping Star Wars™ artists John Cassaday & Phil Noto and a main cover by Secret Wars artist Esad Ribic – this is sure to be one of the biggest titles of the year!

From creators Chuck Wendig (Star Wars: Aftermath) and Luke Ross (Hercules) – it’s been decades since the Rebel Alliance destroyed toppled the Galactic Empire. But now, on the remote planet of Jakku, there’s been a stirring in the Force. A young scavenger named Rey, a deserting Stormtrooper named Finn, an ace pilot named Poe, and a dark apprentice named Kylo Ren. Their lives are about to collide. The awakening is happening at your local comic shop this June with STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS ADAPTATION #1!

Here you go, Star Warriors!

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

SUPER HUMAN RESOURCES #1        

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: KEN MARCUS

Artist: ARMANDO ZANKER

Cover: JUSTIN BLEEP

Variant: GABRIEL HARDMAN

32 pgs.• T • FC • $3.99 (reg.)/$4.99 (var.)

“This is the comic you never knew you were waiting to read.” – Comic Book Resources

The sequel to the sold-out, indie hit is finally here. Welcome back to the HR department of the world’s greatest super team. Super Crises International has been infiltrated by sinister forces. And by sinister forces, we mean stupidity. Lots of stupidity. Cover by Justin Bleep. Variant by Gabriel Hardman (Hulk, Agents of Atlas, Invisible Republic.)

There's another book that debuted recently with almost the same premise, but I can't put my finger on the title. Anybody remember what it's called?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Incidentally, Wikipedia helpfully notes that the title always makes "Fruits" plural because there is no "tuh" sound in Japanese, so the "tsuh" sound is used instead. This, of course, just raises the question of why "Basket" isn't plural as well. Getting sloppy, Wikipedia!

I find that to be questionable. I'm pretty sure I've heard that sound in Japanese plenty of times.

OK, did  a little research. The sound in question is not "tuh", it's "tu", pronounced like "too".  Apparently, several sources do seem to agree that there is no "tu" sound in the traditional Japanese  syllabary.   Huh. Live and learn.  As for "basket", that is transliterated as "Basuketto", and there is a "to" in the syllabary.  It's all something to do with a Japanese counterpart to consonantal drift, apparently.  As to why they didn't change it back to "Fruit Basket" when they translated it back to English, ya got me.

• Sounds like a parody or satire of the Magical Girl genre of manga. Maybe the Baron can tell us more.

Can't say as I've ever heard of that one. It's an interesting-sounding, anyhow.

• Whoa -- I'll have to keep an eye out for that Doug Sneyd book. Never knew his name, always loved his work.

And I'm sorry to hear Creepy's being cancelled, too! It really was Dark Horse's unsung anthology book. I didn't pick it up all the time, but I'd buy an issue now and then and enjoy it cover to cover. You're right that some of the material was classic Creepy reprints, but there was plenty of original stuff every issue!

• THE PHANTOM COMPLETE SERIES: THE CHARLTON YEARS VOL 5:

“Anyway, if you haven't seen this art by the much-missed Don Newton, you owe it to yourself to be amazed.”

I was not even aware Don Newton had a run on The Phantom. I’ve never been a big fan of his, but this is the book that may make me one. I’ll have more to say the next time I add an update to the “What Comics Have you Read Today?” discussion.

• My introduction to Newton was his Phantom work, which is pretty much his first work as a comics pro. (According to Wiki, he did a Ghost World story first.) He was already 40 years old, though, and an art teacher in Arizona, which is why he was so polished at his debut. He did some fan work in his 20s and 30s, but couldn't get any pro work before that because he lived in Arizona. (Not living in New York was a crippling drawback in those pre-Internet days).

• I was surprised to learn recently about Jim Aparo's first comics work, a short-lived newspaper strip called Stern Wheeler. The sample strips at that link are gorgeous. Toonopedia has an article about it here which mentions a partial reprint.

This reply was deleted.