Comics Guide for June 24, 2015

DARK HORSE

CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT #24

Here's the final issue of Captain Midnight, which I'm sorry to see. I'd like for DH to have a successful superhero line, and this book was establishing additional characters that could have formed a nucleus. Didn't work, apparently. Was anyone reading it? I'm curious.

Writer: JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art: MIGUEL SEPULVEDA

Colors: JAVIER MENA

Cover: MICHAEL BROUSSARD

FC, 32 pages, $2.99

Ongoing

The final issue!

Facing the greatest threat in the world -- the unstoppable madman known as the Archon -- Captain Midnight and his allies need an ace in the hole to help pull out a victory! Thankfully, Cap has a plan ... but will it be enough to stop the Archon when everything else has failed?

The epic conclusion to the X/Captain Midnight crossover event “Marked for Death”!

GO HERE FOR A 5-PAGE PREVIEW

FIGHT CLUB 2 #2

As I said last month, I didn't see Fight Club the movie, so the first issue of this print sequel didn't make much sense to me. But it looks like DH is putting a lot of effort into this book, and it looks good. If you did see Fight Club and enjoyed it, you could do worse than pick this up.

Oh, and the cover below is an homage to the painting "American Gothic" and the eye in the window is reference to a young adult novel whose name escapes me. (Sabrina #1 did the same thing.)

Writer: CHUCK PALAHNIUK

Art: CAMERON STEWART

Colors: DAVE STEWART

Cover: DAVID MACK

Variant: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

Chuck Palahniuk writes the sequel to Fight Club!

For the past decade Tyler Durden’s been sneaking out of Sebastian’s subconscious. Sebastian has a nice wife and a nice kid. He has a nice home in the suburbs. Nice-enough neighbors. Now all that’s going up like so much potassium permanganate.

• Rize or Die!

• One of IGN and io9’s Most Anticipated Comics of 2015!

• Variant cover by Francesco Francavilla!

THE KUROSAGI CORPSE DELIVERY SERVICE OMNIBUS EDITION BOOK ONE (TPB)

I haven't seen a review copy of this, but the premise is terrific.

Writer: EIJI OTSUKA

Art: HOUSUI YAMAZAKI

Cover: BUNPEI YORIFUJI  

B&W, 640 pages, $19.99  

TPB, 5 1/8″ x 7 1/4″

Five spiritualist students at a Buddhist college in Japan realize the job market is tough these days . . . among the living, that is! But the dead need jobs done too, so the five form the Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, carrying out the last wishes of their cadaverous  clients, so their souls can move on. But the Kurosagi gang are magnets for weirdness -- not just corpses -- and every case gets them involved in disturbing personal obsessions, bizarre modern Tokyo fads, and strange rituals of old Japan! Collects The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Volumes 1–3.

The highly acclaimed horror-comedy at a bargain price!   

“Dark Horse prove themselves a top-tier publisher with production values.” -- Anime News Network

“Nobody does horror-comedy better than Otsuka and Yamazaki.” -- Booklist

GO HERE FOR AN 8-PAGE PREVIEW

MULAN: REVELATIONS #1 (OF 4)

Here's a genre mash-up that, despite the name, doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Disney movie.

Writer: MARC ANDREYKO

Art/Cover: MICAH KANESHIRO

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

SHANGHAI CYBERPUNK!

The legend of Mulan continues -- but with a completely new twist.

Though the future boasts endless technological wonders, only a very few can afford access to them. As a deadly new virus rages through the rich and the poor, threatening all of humanity, a warrior is awakened to stop the evil puppeteers behind it all! Centuries after her ancestor and namesake fought for China, a new Mulan has been chosen by the ancient Chinese Immortals to fight in a final battle for the world!

Helmed by writer Marc Andreyko (Batwoman, Manhunter), artist Micah Kaneshiro (Blackout, Broken Pieces), and newcomer creator Robert Alter, the series is set to usher in a new age for a beloved legend. A must-read for science-fiction fans, Mulan: Revelations sees a battle not only for China, but the entire world. The exciting series begins in June with a thrilling genre blend of Chinese martial arts and futuristic cyberpunk sure to excite fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Mass Effect.

“Working on this project has been a dream. I’ve always been a fan of extrapolating on myths and legends and dealing with the themes that make them so timeless, and Mulan: Revelations has that in spades,” said Andreyko. “Robert Alter and artist Micah Kaneshiro are tremendous collaborators, and I cannot wait for readers to join us on this exciting journey. They are in for something they have never seen before!”

• From visionary writer Marc Andreyko (Batwoman, Manhunter)!

• Stunning artwork by Micah Kaneshiro (Blackout, Broken Pieces).

• Thrilling genre blend of Chinese martial arts and futuristic cyberpunk!

GO HERE FOR A 6-PAGE PREVIEW

THE ORDER OF THE FORGE #3 (OF 3)

Oh boy, viking zombies! They're my second favorite kind of zombies, after the Nazi kind.

Writer: VICTOR GISCHLER

Art: TAZIO BETTIN

Cover: JUAN FERREYRA

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

Our heroes finally discover an ancient and secret weapon on a long-forgotten Viking ship, but the wicked Lord Hammond is closing in, intent on seizing this deadly prize! Now Washington must engage in battle on two fronts -- with Hammond and an undead Viking horde!

• A dark fantasy/historical fiction genre smash-up!

• Perfect for fans of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter!

GO HERE FOR A 6-PAGE PREVIEW

REXODUS (TPB)

I've been reading a review copy of this the last couple of nights. It's a long story, but if it was compelling enough I'd read it straight through, but instead fell asleep two nights in a row.

The story is that the dinosaurs were intelligent, and weren't wiped out -- they escaped to another planet in our solar system because of a world-threatening monster called "the Black Blood." Then they rained asteroids down on Earth (which they call Solus Prime), killing all life and hopefully the Black Blood.

Obviously, they failed, since Earth has lots of life. One dinosaur survived on Earth in suspended animation, and he hooks up with now-to-be-expected spunky tween girl, escapes to Solus Secondary (Mars? Venus? A moon of Saturn or Jupiter? Unclear.) to warn his race about the Black Blood. Which they don't believe, of course.

It isn't bad, despite my comments above. The story's all right, and clips along pretty fast. I have to say I don't care for the art, which is sorta manga, but not very pretty and a little too cartoony -- there's very little to indicate depth. Occasionally I have trouble distinguishing dinosaurs not only from each other, but also from the background. (Maybe it's the coloring I have trouble with.)

It's not my cup of tea. Still, I can imagine that fans of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or similar might enjoy it more than me.

Writer: JAMES FARR

Art/Cover: JON SOMMARIVA and various

FC, 112 pages, $12.99

TPB, 6″ x 9″

Dinosaur adventures in space!

The Black Blood is unleashed upon the earth again, and Amber must save her father—and the world—with the aid of the only other Black Blood survivor, Kelvin Sauridon, a dinosaur from the past. In this high-stakes adventure, can they put aside their differences long enough to save the planet they both called home?

• Written by James Farr (Xombie: Dead on Arrival, EV).

• Pencils by Jon Sommariva (Star Wars Tales, Noble Causes).

• A grand adventure for all ages!

• A new hero is born!

GO HERE FOR AN 8-PAGE PREVIEW

DC COMICS

AQUAMAN #41

Joker fish! Ha ha! (See variant cover.)

Written by CULLEN BUNN

Art and cover by TREVOR McCARTHY

THE JOKER Variant cover by WALTER SIMONSON

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

This issue will ship with two covers.

Aquaman is on the run from Atlantis! The kingdom he once saved now wants him dead – and nothing will ever be the same again!

GO HERE FOR A 10-PAGE PREVIEW

BATGIRL #41

This is the book with the notorious Joker variant, which I'm not running again.

Written by CAMERON STEWART and BRENDEN FLETCHER

Art by BABS TARR

Cover by CAMERON STEWART

THE JOKER Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

There’s a new Batman in town…and that spells bad news for Barbara Gordon! She’s already got enough upheaval in her life, with her roommate Frankie in on her biggest secret…and now she’s looking to get even more involved in Batgirl’s business!

DEATHSTROKE #7

The Joker variant on this title suddenly makes one wonder why the relative of a Joker victim hasn't hired Deathstroke to take out the Clown Prince of Crime.

Written by TONY S. DANIEL and JIM BONNY

Art by TONY S. DANIEL

THE JOKER Variant cover by LEE WEEKS

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Beginning a titanic new arc: “God Killer”! Slade is armed by Hephaestus to take down one of the Olympian Gods! If any man is bold enough to believe he can murder a god – it’s Deathstroke!

THE FLASH #41

The main cover made me think of all the times I've seen an empty Flash suit. There were several Silver Age covers with an empty Flash suit, an idea not duplicated very often with other characters. I guess the one-piece structure of the suit makes it easy to carry it around empty.

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI and VAN JENSEN

Art and cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND

THE JOKER Variant cover by EDDY BARROWS

Professor Zoom is back, and he’s not alone! Who’s along for the ride to kill the fastest man alive? Find out here!

GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #6

I assume that's The Spectre pressing against the "glass" of reality in the main cover, and it's a pretty arresting image. This new status quo implies that The Spectre is more of Chthulhu-like invader of our plane, rather than a divine angel of sorts, that has to be kept in check.

Written by RAY FAWKES

Art by JUAN FERRERYA

Cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ

THE JOKER Variant cover by JOHN VAN FLEET

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

The Midnight Shift is in danger from both its members and the rest of the GCPD! In a deadly new Gotham City, does the paranormal really still pose a threat? As the task force struggles to rebuild after their tragic loss, their only weapon against the supernatural and Internal Affairs both might be in the form of attorney Kate Spencer. Ray Fawkes and new series artist Juan Ferreyra are ready to take Jim Corrigan and his motley crew on the adventure of their lives – or afterlives!

GRAYSON #9

Here's another Joker variant and preview for your delectation.

Written by TOM KING and TIM SEELEY

Art and cover by MIKEL JANIN

THE JOKER Variant cover by DAVE JOHNSON

This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Everything changes as Helena takes over SPYRAL! Plus: Grayson gets a new partner!

GREEN LANTERN: THE LOST ARMY #1

The premise of this book makes me think that Cullen Bunn was way too impressed with the movie Maze Runner.

Written by CULLEN BUNN

Art and cover by JESUS SAIZ

1:25 Variant cover by BEN OLIVER

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Imagine waking up in a strange place where you didn’t recognize anything, and everyone you knew and loved was nowhere to be found. Now imagine that you are a Green Lantern. The rest of the Corps is missing, you don’t know where you are and there’s not a Power Battery to be found for as far as your ring can scan. Where are you? How did you get here? Those are just two of the many questions facing our heroes.

Starring John Stewart, Two-Six, Kilowog and Arisia, and featuring a surprise guest-star we promise you’ll never predict, LOST ARMY is an incredible journey of discovery, survival, morality and heartbreak. Never has the Corps been challenged in this way – and not everyone is going to make it home!

GO HERE FOR A 10-PAGE PREMISE

JSA OMNIBUS VOL. 3 (HC)

Strange how this cover makes me feel nostalgic for a series that ended not that long ago (in comic book time). But the original Earth-Two has been replaced, so we'll never see the old gang again.

Written by GEOFF JOHNS, PAUL LEVITZ, ALEX ROSS, JERRY ORDWAY and others

Art by DALE EAGLESHAM, GEORGE PEREZ, RAGS MORALES, JERRY ORDWAY, ALEX ROSS and others

Cover by ALEX ROSS

1,248 pg, FC, $125.00 US

This final, mammoth collection of Geoff Johns’s JSA run includes JSA #76-87, JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #1-28, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #8-10, JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA ANNUAL #1, JSA KINGDOM COME SPECIAL: SUPERMAN #1, JSA KINGDOM COME SPECIAL: MAGOG #1 and JSA KINGDOM COME SPECIAL: THE KINGDOM #1.

JUSTICE LEAGUE 3001 #1

I'm still not crazy about this series, but I do like how, in general, DC has evolved Starro from a goofy-looking "space conqueror" into something really creepy and scary.

Written by KEITH GIFFEN and J.M. DeMATTEIS

Art and cover by HOWARD PORTER

1:25 Variant cover by SCOTT KOLINS

Travel even deeper into the future than before with the all-new JUSTICE LEAGUE 3001! They’ve managed to become the World’s Greatest Heroes of the 30th century, but with legions of foes gunning for them, can they stay alive long enough to see the year 3002?

SUPERMAN #41

Needless to say, the Joker variant is a reference to Superman: The Movie.

Written by GENE LUEN YANG

Art and cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR. and KLAUS JANSON

THE JOKER variant cover by KARL KERSCHL

On sale JUNE 24 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

The epic new storyline “TRUTH” continues with the debut of the amazing new creative team of new writer Gene Luen Yang (American Born Chinese) and continuing artists John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson! What will happen when the big secret is revealed?

TEEN TITANS #9

I don't read this book, so who's the chick with the antennae? Is she a Durlan, maybe?

Written by WILL PFEIFER

Art by KENNETH ROCAFORT

Cover by BENGAL

THE JOKER Variant cover by SCOTT McDANIEL

On the run with Superboy, the Titans must uncover the truth behind the Boy of Steel’s crimes – or they all might end up serving time with their former teammate.

WE ARE ... ROBIN #1

As long-time readers of this site know, I've agitated for years for an army of Robins for Batman akin to the Baker Street Irregulars for Sherlock Holmes. However, following the conventions of comics, the "main" Robins will all have a special skill or ability -- most of which would take decades to master, and are out of the reach of normal kids, which I think defeats the purpose. But that's just one man's opinion.

Written by LEE BERMEJO

Art by ROB HAYNES and KHARY RANDOLPH

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

1:25 Variant cover by TBD

Spinning out of the pages of BATMAN! The teenagers of Gotham City have adopted the “R” and made it their own. A new Robin? No, HUNDREDS of new Robins! Don’t miss the start of this new series from rising star writer Lee Bermejo (JOKER, SUICIDERS), who also provides the covers!

DC Comics welcome Jorge Corona to We Are ... Robin

Spinning out of the pages of BATMAN! The teenagers of Gotham City have adopted the “R” and made it their own. A new Robin? No, HUNDREDS of new Robins! And they finally meet Batman himself…but is it everything they imagined it would be? And what will the Dark Knight think of them?

The new ongoing series WE ARE…ROBIN, written by Lee Bermejo (JOKER, SUICIDERS), will now feature art from Jorge Corona, Rob Haynes and Khary Randolph. You'll see the first of Corona's work on WE ARE… ROBIN in the Sneak Peek on May 27th, and then stay tuned for WE ARE…ROBIN #1 on June 24th. 

Corona was recently nominated for Comic-Con International’s Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award. Please help us welcome Jorge to the new series!

Check out the first three covers by Lee Bermejo, including the official reveal of the cover to Issue #3 on the blog

IDW PUBLISHING

DON ROSA’S THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SCROOGE MCDUCK, VOL. 1: ARTIST’S EDITION (HC)

I'm not a big fan of Rosa's work, but if you are, this is a nice package.

Writer/Art/Cover: DON ROSA

HC • BW • $95.00 net discount item • 160 Pages • 14” x 20”

Don Rosa is the universally acclaimed Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge creator and artistic heir to the remarkable legacy of the “Good Duck” artist, Carl Barks. Now, with the full cooperation and assistance of Rosa, IDW Publishing is proud to present the first volume of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. Included in this edition will be a cover gallery and a selection of Rosa’s layouts done for these stories.

The heir to the Carl Barks Duck throne, Don Rosa’s rich style exudes the humor and geniality that made Disney characters so popular in film, television and beyond. This spring, IDW Publishing will bring the celebrated works of this living legend to a new audience with Don Rosa’s The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, Vol.1: Artist’s Edition!

Rosa’s Eisner-award winning work on The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, told the story of the penny-pinching mallard’s early days before he made his legendary fortune.

“Don Rosa’s stories are as fresh and entertaining today as they were when I first read them 25 years ago,” said IDW Special Projects Director, Scott Dunbier. “They are timeless treasures.”

This Artist’s Edition will measure 14” x 20” and come packed with 160 pages of high quality scans of the first 6 chapters of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, covers, and layouts by Rosa. Two additional volumes will complete this epic saga with release dates still to be announced. This Artist’s Edition will set the precedent for something truly special for Disney, and Art fans.

Look for the newest entry in the Artist’s Edition library April 2015 available through your local comic shop or from IDW’s webstore: http://www.idwpublishing.com/shop/

EMPIRE UPRISING #3

I don't have anything new to say about this issue, just that I'm enjoying the series.

Writer: MARK WAID

Art/Cover BARRY KITSON

32 pages / FC / $3.99

Outside forces have put enemy agents into play against Golgoth and the Empire-and Golgoth at last faces an enemy who may be more than a match for him and his ministers!

IMAGE COMICS

POSTAL, VOL. 1 (TPB)

I was intrigued by the premise of this book, but haven't sampled it yet. Now I will, at a low, low, low introductory price! :)

Story: BRYAN HILL & MATT HAWKINS

Art: ISAAC GOODHART

Cover: LINDA SEJIC

128 PAGES / FC / T+ / $9.99

SPECIAL LOW INTRODUCTORY PRICE OF $9.99!

The first volume of Top Cow's bold new ongoing series POSTAL brings readers into the fictional town of Eden, Wyoming, a place founded by criminals for criminals. A place where, despite its inhabitants, no crime is allowed. Local postman Mark Shiffron has Asperger’s, and through his peculiar eyes we see a town struggling to keep its fragile peace, a town on the constant brink of chaos. When a murdered woman's body is found on Eden's main street, Mark's need to solve her crime leads him into darkness and truth about the town he's known his entire life and the hidden realms of his own psychology. Co-writers BRYAN HILL & MATT HAWKINS work with newcomer ISAAC GOODHART to take an unflinching look at the cost of justice and the price of redemption through a tale set in the murky soul of America's heartland.

Collects POSTAL #1-4.

POSTAL, VOL. 1 DELIVERS CHILLS TO READERS THIS JULY

The first four issues of hit Top Cow horror series will be collected into trade paperback

Writer Matt Hawkins (THINK TANK, TALES OF HONOR) and Bryan Hill (Broken Trinity: Pandora’s Box) and Top Cow’s Talent Hunt-winning artist Isaac Goodhart create a suspenseful horror thriller in POSTAL, VOL. 1. The first four issues of the new hit Top Cow series will be collected into a trade paperback and available this July.

The townsfolk of Eden, Wyoming wake up to the first official murder the town has seen in 25 years. Their reaction to this isn’t normal, and there’s a reason for that. Eden operates as a haven for fugitive criminals who remain here while new identities, often including facial reconstruction, are created for them. There is zero tolerance for any illegal activity that might draw attention to the town and an “official murder” is the last thing they want. A single, tight-knit family runs Eden with the youngest oddball son Mark Shiffron overseeing the postal branch, the only means of shipping in or out of the city. The FBI has repeatedly been foiled trying to insert an undercover agent here; they see Mark as the weak link to exploit. This murder gives them a new opportunity.

POSTAL, VOL. 1 (ISBN: 978-1-63215-342-5) hits comic book stores on June 24 and bookstores on July 7, and will be available for $9.99. It can be ordered by retailers from Diamond Book Distributors with Diamond Code APR150614.

More praise for POSTAL:

“Postal is a book that took me by surprise and really wowed me. The writing is incredibly interesting and well done. The art and colors are very fitting for the book and make it much more enjoyable. This is a book that needs to be read by anyone who likes good stories!” —All-Comic

“One of the strongest lead-ins to a new story that the medium has seen in a while.” —Graphic Policy

“A very strong protagonist drives a premise that holds a lot of potential in what is turning out to be an addictive mystery.” —Adventures in Poor Taste

“A solid ‘win’ for me in my search each month for comics that feel and read different from every other comic I'm reading.” —Comic Spectrum

“An intriguing first issue that bears further watching.” —Newsarama

WYTCHES, VOL. 1 (TPB)

Enjoyed this very much. Review coming in this week's column!

Story: SCOTT SNYDER

Art / Cover: JOCK

144 PAGES / FC / M / $9.99

SPECIAL LOW INTRODUCTORY PRICE OF $9.99!

When the Rooks family moves to the remote town of Litchfield, NH to escape a haunting trauma, they're hopeful about starting over. But something evil is waiting for them in the woods just beyond town. Watching from the trees. Ancient...and hungry.

Collects WYTCHES #1-6.

MARVEL COMICS

AGE OF ULTRON VS. MARVEL ZOMBIES #1

Since robots can't be turned into zombies, I don't see any reason that Ultron and his drones couldn't wipe out all the zombies in an afternoon (and would be wise to do so). But since they haven't, there must be a reason. Finding out why might be reason enough to read this series!

Writer: JAMES ROBINSON

Art: STEVE PUGH

Cover by CARLOS PACHECO

Variant cover by ROCK-HE KIM

MAOS Variant by NATHAN FOX

Ant-Sized Variant by PAT BRODERICK

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

Blank Variant Available

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

THE ULTIMATE DEATH SENTENCE IN BATTLEWORLD

In the southern wastes of Battleworld, two unholy factions wage neverending war. This June, that war reaches a new level of horror in AGE OF ULTRON VS. MARVEL ZOMBIES #1 – a new Secret Wars series! From Eisner-award winning writer James Robinson and critically-acclaimed artist Steve Pugh comes two new reasons to fear!

There are regions of Battleworld so dangerous, they are walled off from the remainder of this patchwork planet. Here, on the far side of the impenetrable barrier known as the Shield, hope is gone. In these unholy wastes, on the border between two domains, the genocidal robotic armies of Ultron wage unending war upon the domain of rotting, flesh-eating corpses that lies just to the East.

“I had the idea of an area on the border between the domains of Ultron and Zombies,” says writer James Robinson in an interview with Marvel.com. “…where humanity was holding out withstanding these two opposing types of inhumanity.”

Pity those poor souls trapped between these two unstoppable forces, for their end is most definitely assured! Will you choose death by flesh-eating, super-powered living dead? Or by an unending army of indestructible, undefeatable robots? One thing is for certain, neither demise will be quick or painless!

The Vision, Wonder Man, Jim Hammond, and more brave these apocalyptic hellscapes in search of sanctuary, and for survival. This June, two unearthly factions will clash. Anything can happen, but one thing is assured – whoever wins, we lose. You don’t want to miss AGE OF ULTRON VS. MARVEL ZOMBIES #1!

There's still more Ant-Man material this week -- in fact, a four-shot!

ANT-MAN/GIANT-MAN EPIC COLLECTION: THE MAN IN THE ANT HILL (TPB)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: STAN LEE & Various

Art: JACK KIRBY & Various

Cover: JACK KIRBY

All Ages / FC / $34.99

A man of action and a man of science, Dr. Henry Pym invented an amazing growth serum and a cybernetic helmet, and with them he became - the Astonishing Ant-Man! Pym soon teamed with Janet Van Dyne, the winsome Wasp, and the two tiny titans went on to battle an array of mini- and maxi-sized menaces from the Scarlet Beetle to the Black Knight! But adventures in the microscopic world weren't enough for one of the Marvel Age's first super heroes. Soon, Ant-Man became the biggest Avenger there ever was - Giant-Man! And his foundational adventures are all here in this debut Epic Collection! Collecting the Ant-Man, Giant-Man and Wasp material from TALES TO ASTONISH (1959) #27 and #35-59.

ANT-MAN: LARGER THAN LIFE #1

Writer: WILL CORONA PILGRIM

Art: ANDREA DIVITO

Cover by JUNG-SIK AHN

48 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

• Join Hank Pym, a.k.a. ANT-MAN, as he learns that a little experiment can land him in BIG trouble!

• Can Ant-Man tame something as painfully formidable as the Bullet Ant before it’s too late?! Find out!

•  PLUS: Reprinting Tales to Astonish #27 (the first appearance of Hank Pym) and Tales to Astonish #35 (the first of appearance of Ant-Man in costume)!

ANT-MAN: NATURAL ENEMY (PROSE NOVEL HC)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by JASON STARR

Cover by MIKE DEODATO JR.

304 PGS / No Rating / $24.99

Just in time for his silver-screen debut, the Astonishing Ant-Man is making the leap to prose fiction! Prepare for Marvel’s smallest hero in his biggest story yet as he breaks new ground and charts new territory in ANT-MAN: NATURAL ENEMY – an all-new, full length prose novel! Debuting in 2015 from critically acclaimed crime writer Jason Starr (Twisted City, Wolverine MAX), ANT-MAN: NATURAL ENEMY brings all the action of Marvel Comics to the exciting new world of prose fiction!

Marvel’s smallest hero stars in his biggest story yet: an all-new, original prose novel timed to coincide with the ANT-MAN feature film! Meet Scott Lang: ex-con, single father and part-time super hero. Scott and his teenage daughter, Cassie, are just settling down in a new city when a criminal from Scott’s past comes gunning for them. But is the killer really after Scott, or the secrets of the Ant-Man tech? And just how far will Scott go to protect his only child? Award-winning crime writer Jason Starr (Twisted City, WOLVERINE MAX) spins a thrilling tale of desperation, secrets and microscopic adventure.

“Marvel’s exciting line of prose novels offer a completely new window into the Marvel Universe,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Whether you’re an Ant-Man fan, or looking to experience a new story featuring the breakout character of 2015, this novel is going to be an exciting thrill ride from cover to cover.”

Pushed to the brink, how far would Scott Lang go to protect his only child? Strap in as the Astonishing Ant-Man embarks on a twisted journey of desperation, secrets and adventure at a microscopic level in ANT-MAN: NATURAL ENEMY – coming in 2015!

ANT-MAN VOL. 1: SECOND-CHANCE MAN (TPB)

Written by NICK SPENCER

Penciled by RAMON ROSANOS

Cover by MARK BROOKS

120 PGS / Rated T+ / $15.99

Scott Lang has never exactly been the world’s best super hero. Heck, most people don’t even think he’s been the best Ant-Man! And the last guy invented Ultron and joined the Masters of Evil, so that’s saying something. But when Iron Man calls with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Scott’s going to get a second chance to be the hero he’s always dreamed of becoming! Then, Scott faces off against his old foe the Taskmaster, but who is the mystery villain pulling the strings? And when Ant-Man needs to pull off an impossible break-in, he assembles a new gang…of criminals! Because that’s what heroes do, I guess. Sure, he’s been to prison, had a messy divorce and was…um, dead for a while there. But this time is different! This time nothing is gonna stop the astonishing Ant-Man! Collecting ANT-MAN #1-5.

E IS FOR EXTINCTION #1

Here's another new Secret Wars series. The first cover is an homage to X-Men #114.

Writer: CHRIS BURNHAM

Art: RAMON VILLALOBOS

Cover by IAN BERTRAM

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Variant by JAMES HARREN

40 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

Ask yourself – what happens in a world where mutants prove once and for all they really are Homo SUPERIOR? Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look at E IS FOR EXTINCTION #1, an explosive Secret Wars series debuting this June! Be there as creators Chris Burnham and Ramon Villalobos return you to one of the most groundbreaking and beloved X-Men eras of all time on the surface of Battleworld! What happens to the X-Men when they no longer fight for a world that hates and fears them, but for a world that wants to be them? More importantly – what is Magneto doing running the Xavier institute?! The world may be a utopia for mutants, but there are still those who seek to crush Magneto and his team of New X-Men. Together they’ll face down the villainous U-Men, and even….the original X-Men?! The sparks will fly this June, so strap in and prepare for a thrill ride as Burnham and Villalobos flip the X-Men on their heads in E IS FOR EXTINCTION #1!

INFINITY GAUNTLET #2

As I've mentioned before, I expect to see a lot of Thanos up to the release of Avengers: Infinity War I.

Writer: DUSTIN WEAVER & GERRY DUGGAN

Art/Cover: DUSTIN WEAVER

Variant by TBA

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

Thanos vs. Nova!

KORVAC SAGA #1

Here's an odd twist on the original Korvac story. Weird but true!

Written by DAN ABNETT

Art & Cover by OTTO SCHMIDT

Variant by STEVE LIEBER

One of the Avengers & Guardians of the Galaxy’s classic villains returns to the forefront in KORVAC SAGA #1 – a brand-new Secret Wars series! Fan-favorite writer Dan Abnett (Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians 3000) and newcomer Otto Schmidt take you inside the mind of one of the Avengers' deadliest and most misunderstood foes.

In the Forest Hills domain, Lord Michael Korvac governs over all, ruling with an iron fist. But not all is as it seems in his corner of Battleworld. Tensions run high with neighboring lord Simon Williams and his squad of Avengers. Full-scale war is all but assured. Korvac and his royal guard – the Guardians of the Galaxy – stand at the brink of destruction from within and without.

Escalating border conflicts with rival lords and chaotic threats from beyond the Shield threaten all they hold dear. Worst of all, a dark madness is spreading through the population, twisting and manipulating residents of Forest Hills into monsters.

Now, the classic Guardians of the Galaxy – Major Victory, Starhawk, Charlie-27, Yondu, Nikki and young Geena Drake -- must track down the source of this evil before it corrupts Forest Hills and all of Battleworld! Deadly threats lurk at every turn, both internal and external as their kingdom stands at the precipice. Even if they stem the coming darkness, will they be strong enough to repel Wonder Man and his Avengers? The answers lie within True Believer when KORVAC SAGA #1 explodes into comic shops in June!

MARVEL’S AGENT CARTER: SEASON ONE DECLASSIFIED (SLIPCASE HC)

Ooooh, want! Not sure I can talk the wife into it, though.

Written by SARAH RODRIGUEZ

200 PGS / All Ages / $49.99

Trim size: landscape

It’s 1946; the war is over, but Peggy Carter has new battles to fight as the men return home. The love of her life — Steve Rogers — is gone, and Peggy is pinned with administrative work at her new job in the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve). She finds solace in secret missions from Howard Stark — but the missions are more dangerous than she knows. Hayley Atwell reprises her role as Peggy Carter in the show inspired by Marvel’s two Captain America feature films as well as the short Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter. In this collectible volume, go behind the scenes with production design, photographs and stills from the set — plus interviews with the cast and crew. Follow Peggy’s journey as she navigates life as a single woman in an America still recovering from war.

THE PUNISHER #19

End of the world? Just another Tuesday afternoon to Frank Castle.

Writer: NATHAN EDMONDSON

Art/Cover: MITCH GERADS

32 PGS / Parental Advisory / $3.99

THE END IS NIGH!

• One of the Punisher’s allies falls. Someone’s picked the wrong fight.

• The Punisher steps back into a War Zone.

• Frank Castle is out for punishment, but the clock is ticking…

Finally, when you live every day like it’s your last, what will you do when it finally comes? The end of the Marvel Universe won’t stop Frank Castle from doling out retribution in THE PUNISHER #19. Nathan Edmondson and Mitch Gerads take Frank Castle back into the fray for one last war. One of the Punisher’s allies falls. Someone picked the wrong fight.

S.H.I.E.L.D. #7

Wow, the TV show is really wagging this series, isn't it?

Writer: MARK WAID

Art: GREG SMALLWOOD

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

G.W.E.N.D.O.K. Variant by ROBBI RODRIGUEZ

MAOS Variant by TBA

The SHIELD agent you’ve been demanding – Skye, a.k.a. Quake, a.k.a. Daisy Johnson – has only one ally she can turn to: her father, Mr. Hyde!

WHERE MONSTERS DWELL #2 (OF 5)

I'm digging these covers!

Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Art: RUSSELL BRAUN

Cover by FRANK CHO

• Karl Kauffman, a.k.a. The Phantom Eagle, is in way over his head and he is only just scratching the surface of the Valley of Flames.

• This new terrifying area of the Marvel Universe is full of surprises!

X-MEN ‘92 #1

Oh, goodie. A call-back to my least-favorite era of comics.

Writers: CHRIS SIMS & CHAD BOWERS

Art: SCOTT KOBLISH

Cover by PEPE LARRAZ

Ant-Sized Variant by WHILCE PORTACIO

Variant by TBA

X-Gwen Variant by RYAN STEGMAN

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

Blank Variant Available

40 PGS / Rated T / $4.99

• Everyone’s favorite version of the X-Men from the ’90s is back!

• When Baron Kelly charges the Clear Mountain Project and it’s mysterious new director with “mutant rehabilitation,” it’s up to the X-Men to investigate!

• PLUS: Free Range Sentinels?!?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OTHER PUBLISHERS

BLACK HOOD #5

Really enjoying this series.

STK673094.jpg?width=5251936703028?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936703101?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936703225?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936705066?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS

Script: DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI

Art: MICHAEL GAYDOS, RACHEL DEERING, KELLY FITZPATRICK

Black Hood #5 CVR A Reg: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Black Hood #5 CVR B Variant: DAVID MACK

Black Hood #5 CVR C Variant: HOWARD CHAYKIN

Black Hood #5 CVR D Variant: DENNIS CALERO

Black Hood #5 CVR E Variant: MATTHEW DOW SMITH

32-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

CONCLUDING THE FIRST, NOIR ARC OF THE FLAGSHIP DARK CIRCLE COMICS SERIES!

"Bullet's Kiss," Part 5. Concluding the first, noir arc of the flagship Dark Circle Comics series! The Black Hood finally corners the mysterious "Connection" on the abandoned seventh floor of City Hall. No cops, no witness-just the two of them, ready to throw down. But when the Connection finally reveals his identity, Greg realizes the game was rigged from the beginning. And it's going to take all of the Black Hood's strength to walk out of this building alive!

1801362562?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE CHIMERA BRIGADE BOOK 3 (of 6)

This seems like a less nasty version of Uber.

1801384934?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Writer: SERGE LEHMAN

Art: FABRICE COLIN

48 pages, HC, FC, 7” x 10.1”,  $9.99 U.S. / $11.99 CAN / £8.99 UK

THIRD VOLUME IN THE ALTERNATE WWII EPIC - IN THE VEIN OF LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN!

WAR ENGULFS THE GLOBE! MYTHIC BEINGS TAKE CONTROL! THE CHIMERAS STRIKE BACK!

• Venture inside the Burning Chamber!

• Mythical beings have risen to power across Europe, and super-human activity is increasing around the globe!

• War threatens to devastate the world once more as the manipulative M. plans to abuse the power of superscience.

• But hope is not lost!  Doctor Jean Séverac embodies a unique force: a force that could save the world – if he can embrace his surprising identity!

Here's this week's Whomania. No previews, for unknown reasons.

DOCTOR WHO 10TH #12

STK664630.jpg?width=525STK664631.jpg?width=525Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: NICK ABADZIS

Art: ELENA CASAGRANDE, ELEONORA CARLINI

Colors: ARIANNA FLOREAN

Cover A: KEVIN WADA

Cover B: PHOTO

32 pages / FC / $3.99

FROM EISNER AWARD-WINNING WRITER NICK ABADZIS (LAIKA) AND FAN-FAVOURITE ELENA CASAGRANDE (ANGEL)!

'Spiral Staircase' Part 1

• An ancient artifact, fused to the body of a movie star!

• An above-top-secret counter-UNIT organisation!

• A humungous jet-black tetrahedron from the heart of the Milky Way, hovering above New York City!

• The Doctor lost for words -- and for answers!

• And amid the chaos, two friends, Gabby and Cindy, trying to work out if Gabby's adventures have left her forever changed!

DOCTOR WHO: THE ELEVENTH DOCTOR VOLUME 2: SERVE YOU (HC)

STK667273.jpg?width=525Writers: AL EWING, ROB WILLIAMS

Artists: BOO COOK, SIMON FRASER, WARREN PLEECE

Colorist: GARY CALDWELL & HI-FI

Cover: BOO COOK

128pp / FC / HC

$19.99 U.S. / $22.95 CAN

The second time-twisting collection of the sell-out smash Eleventh Doctor series from writers Al Ewing (Loki: Agent of Asgard) and Rob Williams (Ordinary), with art from the triple threat of Simon Fraser (Nikolai Dante), Boo Cook (Elephantmen) and Warren Pleece (Hellblazer, Incognegro)

A threat in reverse as time inside the TARDIS flows backwards! An ancient alien war for supremacy in the sky comes to near-future London! And the machinations of SERVEYOUinc revealed, when the Doctor hits them where it hurts – their wallets!

Three companions – three times the danger, three times the excitement! Experience every twist and secret reveal in the thrilling second act of The Eleventh Doctor’s first year in comics!

- The second time-twisting collection from writers Al Ewing (Loki) and Rob Williams (Ordinary)!

- The machinations of SERVEYOUinc revealed!

- Collects Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor #6-10.

NINJAK #4

By special request, this week's Valiant release!

1936706716?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936710254?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936712218?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936712308?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936714343?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Written by MATT KINDT

Art by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE with BUTCH GUICE

Cover A by JELENA KEVIC-DJURDJEVIC

Cover B by DAVE JOHNSON

25th Anniversary Variant by RAFA SANDOVAL

Variant Cover by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Variant Cover by RAUL ALLEN

$3.99 | 40 pages | T+

WHO IS ROKU?!

The breakout star of the hit of the year stands revealed as we learn the origin of Ninjak’s newest nemesis! But who is Roku – the seemingly indestructible warrior who’s proven to be one of the deadliest assassins in the Valiant Universe – and what impact does she have on Colin King’s future?

Guest artist Marguerite Sauvage (Sensation Comics) joins Matt Kindt (THE VALIANT, RAI) and Butch Guice (Captain America) for a special standalone tale of the world’s most lethal woman!

1936716367?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936718384?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936720559?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936722576?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936724486?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936726348?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936695112?profile=RESIZE_180x180RUSSIAN OLIVE TO RED KING (HC)

I don't know what this is, but it sounds interesting. Anybody know?

STK669765.jpg?width=525Publisher: ADHOUSE BOOKS

Writer: KATHRYN IMMONEN

Art/Cover: STUART IMMONEN

Mature/$24.95

When your lover may be dead, how long can you hold on to what remains? To whatever is left of you? A plane crash, a package, her dog, her voice. A notebook, his writer's block, and heat-distorted summer memories of a search for Jumbo the Elephant and an absent father.

SCARLETT COUTURE #3 (of 4)

I read this issue (although I missed the first two) and it's a sincere, non-ironic effort at a fast-moving espionage story, and owes a lot to Modesty Blaise. It was OK. I was a little put off by the cartoony art, especially the balloon-like busts on the women. I think a grittier, more photo-realistic art style would serve this story better, but your mileage may vary.

Incidentally, I showed the first cover to my wife and said, "Look, a comic book for skin-diving enthusiasts." And she replied, "Well, you got the 'skin' part right."

STK672667.jpg?width=525STK672668.jpg?width=525Writer/Artist/Cover: DES TAYLOR

32pp / FC / $3.99

High-octane action meets high-fashion drama in the third installment of Scarlett Couture's Project Stardust.

Scarlett swaps her skintight stealth suit for a skintight gown as she and Trent infiltrate an exclusive party on the hunt for the missing link in their investigation. Luckily, the team from Chase Couture are always available to provide the very best of distractions!

"Des Taylor is the best artist I haven't worked with yet!" -- Mark Miller (Kick-Ass)

"Super-stylish and super-sexy!" -- Dave Gibbons (Watchmen)

"Really fantastic stuff. I'm a fan!" -- Heath Corson (Writer/Producer, Justice League: War)

"With vivid artwork and intense action Scarlett Couture is a fun take on the Spy Thriller genre." -- Fanboy Comics

"Classic ... the glow of John Romita and ‘50s pin-up!" -- Comics Alliance

"A look and vibrancy that will resonate with fans of Dan Decarlo or Bruce Timm." -- Robot 6, Comic Book Resources

"This is a refreshing take in the realm of comics." -- Fangirl Nation

"Right up the alley of fans of James Bond and Noir and Pulp thrillers." -- Girls Read Comics

1936728429?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936728615?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936728946?profile=RESIZE_180x180dbf4305d-f46c-4e21-b3f5-12b90c67b6c1.jpg?width=150

1936731139?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE SHADOW #100

I read this one, too, and it's a typical anthology -- some stories I liked, some I didn't, some were in between. It's worth a look overall, I think.

STK673796.jpg?width=525Writer: MATT WAGNER, FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA, HOWARD CHAYKIN, CHRIS ROBERSON, VICTOR GISCHLER, MICHAEL USLAN,

Art: MATT WAGNER, FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA, HOWARD CHAYKIN, GIOVANNI TIMPANO

Cover A Main: MATT WAGNER

Cover B Variant: ROBERT HACK

48 pages / Teen+ / $7.99

For 100 Dynamite issues, The Shadow has known what evil lurks in the hearts of men. To commemorate, Dynamite Entertainment brings together master storytellers to celebrate the purveyor of justice who proves that crime does not pay. Join MATT WAGNER, HOWARD CHAYKIN, and FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA as they pen, pencil, and ink stories so mesmerizing they don't even need a girasol! Also joining us will be The Shadow alumni MICHAEL USLAN, CHRIS ROBERSON, and VICTOR GISCHLER, paired with top artists, to show the weed of crime bears only bitter fruit! This is ONE centenarian celebration you WON'T want to miss.

SURFACE TENSION #2

I haven't gotten around to reading this one yet, but the first issue was intriguing enough that I'm looking forward to it.

1936731356?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936733376?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer/Artist: JAY GUNN

32pp / FC / $3.99

WITNESS THE LAST DAYS OF LIFE AS WE KNOW IT!

Jay Gunn's magnificent eco-horror fable continues, as more clues to the horrific coral incursion are revealed!

Yesterday, Megumi Suzuki and Ryan Fisher walked out of the waves – the first human beings to return from the primordial soup to which almost all of humanity has been reduced!

What secrets are locked up in their memories, their genetic make-up, their now-blue skin?

They didn't return alone ... something horrific, mindless, monstrous, has followed them from the ocean. And it won't stop until they have been reunited... or destroyed!

PLUS: In the past, see what brought Ryan and Shauna together – and the fault-lines that divided the island community even before the Sea Sickness hit!

"A story for our times, written and drawn with passion!" -- Pat Mills (Judge Dredd, Sláine)

"Wondrous and grotesque ... an unnerving portrait of the human race at it's most helpless!" -- Broken Frontier

"A brand-new talent for a brand-new  horror, Surface Tension is set to be a monstrous hit!" -- Laura Sneddon, Comics Beat

"Mysterious and compelling" -- The Scoop

"Colorful visuals, terrifying creatures and melting human flesh... a suspenseful story and a cautionary tale!" -- Fangirl Nation

"Awash in monsters and mystery ... an infinite source of inspiration" -- Fanboy Comics

BRAND NEW CREATOR-OWNED COMIC!

THE WALKING DEAD MEETS PRINCESS MONONOKE!

WATCH THE TRAILER NOW!

1936735575?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936737330?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936739679?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936741453?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936695112?profile=RESIZE_180x180SWORDS OF SORROW: BLACK SPARROW & LADY ZORRO SPECIAL (ONE-SHOT)

I've been encouraged by how the story in the main Swords of Sorrow book has really picked up, but that enthusiasm didn't extend to this issue. It wasn't bad, but it felt superfluous to me.

STK673868.jpg?width=525Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: ERICA SCHULTZ

Art: CHRISTHIAN ZAMORA

Cover: JOYCE CHIN

A team-up set up by SWORDS OF SORROW's Gail Simone, featuring the writer that she hand-picked: Erica Schultz! Lady Zorro and The Black Sparrow, two women from different times, join forces to fight Prince Charming's Shards of Chaos in a prehistoric land. With their Swords of Sorrow, they fight to keep an ancient stone with mystical abilities out of the Prince's grasp.

1936741692?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936741976?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936744119?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936745894?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936748831?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936695112?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE THIRD TESTAMENT BOOK 4: THE DAY OF THE RAVEN

I haven't read any of these books, but Titan sent a nice preview, so here you go!

1936749015?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Art: ALEX ALICE

Story: XAVIER DORISON and ALEX ALICE

80 pages / FC / $18.99

On sale now is the release of the climactic final volume of the grand historical adventure series The Third Testament by Xavier Dorison (Red One) and Alex Alice!

Disgraced inquisitor Conrad of Marburg has been forced to abandon his erstwhile ward Elisabeth and the young monk, Clement, while he races to Prague with what he believes is the solution to the ultimate enigma of the Third Testament. However, he is captured by the brutal Sayn and must do everything he can to escape!

But Elisabeth and Clement have realized the solution Conrad has is wrong … can they catch up with him before all is lost and the incredible knowledge he has uncovered falls to the forces of darkness? Find out in this the stunning final installment of The Third Testament.

For more details visit:

http://titan-comics.com/c/271-third-testament-the-day-of-the-raven/

1936750854?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936754122?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936759845?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936695112?profile=RESIZE_180x180TIME LINCOLN: FATE OF THE UNION (TPB SIGNED ED)

To paraphrase a local line about Elvis, Abraham Lincoln seems to be busier dead than he was when alive.

STK671978.jpg?width=525Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: FRED PERRY

Collects Time Lincoln, Time Lincoln: Fists of Führer, Time Lincoln: Apocalypse Mao, Time Lincoln: Cuba Commander and Time Lincoln: Jack to the Future

Fred Perry's chrono-venture saga of Abe Lincoln and his Time Travelers Team has found new life as a limited edition!  This action-packed epic now comes with a special, signed dust jacket, but quantities may be limited, so get a copy before time runs out!

Taken out of time on the night of his assassination, Abraham Lincoln learns he must forge a team to save all of history from the Tyrant of Time, Void Stalin!  Faced with fiends like Mephitler and Apocalypse Mao, Lincoln joins with such historic heroes as Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Ben Franklin and George Washington Carver.  In his last hour, he lived a lifetime!

VENTURE #1 (of 4)

I read this series when it came out from Image 10-15 years ago, but I don't remember if I enjoyed it. It's got a nice pedigree, though.

STK673556.jpg?width=5251936761543?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936763324?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: JAY FAERBER

Art/Cover: JAMAL IGLE

Colors: JAMES BROWN

32 pgs./ All Ages/ FC

$3.99/ $4.99 Variant

Down-on-his-luck reporter Reggie Baxter has stumbled onto one of the greatest secrets of all time ... superpowered high school history teacher Joe Campbell! But who is Joe Campbell and more importantly, how rich will Reggie become by blackmailing him? Two variant covers limited to 2,000 copies each!

Co-created by Jay Faerber (Copperhead, Dynamo Five, Noble Causes) and Jamal Igle (Molly Danger, Supergirl, The Terminator: Enemy of my Enemy).

“VENTURE was the beginning of my return to comics after leaving for a bit to work in animation,” said Igle. “Now, we have our files back and are re-releasing it with the hopes that, if there’s enough interest, we can start the series back up again.”

"I'm glad that people who missed VENTURE the first time around will have an opportunity to experience this book that has always held a special place in my heart," said Faerber.

“Jay is a fantastic writer,” Igle said, “[and] one of my favorite collaborators. I learned so much from working with him. "Faerber and Igle began working together in the late 1990s on titles for Marvel such as NEW WARRIORS and IRON FIST/WOLVERINE: THE RETURN OF K'UN-LUN, which was recently rereleased as part of a collection. Their collaboration continued with Faerber's popular creator owned superhero soap opera, NOBLE CAUSES before teaming up to create VENTURE.

"Jamal was one of the first artists I ever worked with, and remains one of the best," said Faerber. "He's a brilliant storyteller with excellent instincts."

Should the series start up again, it would be a big one-two punch for Igle, who is bringing MOLLY DANGER back, via Kickstarter, on a bi-monthly schedule in 2016. " Action Lab is making a commitment to adding a line of connected superhero titles, and it's my hope that Venture will join this new endeavor. There are a lot of new directions that we can take the character in and have him be part of that universe."

1936763596?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936765397?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936767541?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936769647?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936771868?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936772100?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• Wow, Time Lincoln really rips off DC's awesome Time Warp logo. 

• Wow, you're right!

• Today's Purchases:

Mobile Suit Gundam - The Origin X: Solomon, by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko

The Punisher #19

• The image is flipped, but the third Venture cover is an homage to alex Ross' Batman standee/poster.

(I'm pretty sure the second Venture cover is an Alex Ross swipe, too, but I'm not certain which one. Superman? Supreme?)

• MULAN: REVELATIONS #1 (OF 4)

Here's a genre mash-up that, despite the name, doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Disney movie.

Mulan is a legendary Chinese warrior woman. Disney didn't create her.

• Wait, Disney stole some Chinese intellectual property? :)

• You mean Kimba? No, wait, that was Japanese.

• I read the first two Time Lincoln stories and they were quite fun.

This reply was deleted.