Comics Guide for May 13, 2015

Since the movie didn't answer many questions, maybe this series will!

ALIENS: FIRE AND STONE (TPB)

Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer: CHRIS ROBERSON

Art: PATRIC REYNOLDS

Colors: DAVE STEWART

Cover: DAVID PALUMBO

FC, 104 pages, $14.99

TPB, 7″ x 10″

During a vicious xenomorph outbreak, terraforming engineer Derrick Russell leads a desperate group of survivors onto a rickety mining vessel. They hope to escape the creatures overrunning their colony -- but they’ll face horrors both in space and on the strange planet where they crash. Ties in with the Prometheus and Aliens films! Collects the four-issue miniseries.

From critically acclaimed writer Chris Roberson!

“This is the way I want an Aliens comic to be: frantic, exciting, scary, and well illustrated.” -- SciFiPulse

I read this in advance, and it is a bit like Hammer films in that it's a bit on the cliche side. Well, aside from the lesbian werewolf. Not bad, though.

ANATHEMA BOOK 1: THE EVIL THAT MEN DO (GN)

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: RACHEL DEERING

Art/Cover: CHRIS MOONEYHAM, WESLEY ST.

96 PGS / TPG / Mature

$12.99 U.S. / $14.99 CAN / £9.99 UK

WELCOME TO THE NIGHTMARE!

A modern take on the horror classics of the past by Rachel Deering (In the Dark, Vertigo Quarterly Magenta, Creepy) & illustrated by Five Ghosts artist Chris Mooneyham, with cover art by Joe Querio (BPRD, The Witcher)!

Dark cults! Haunted souls! Forbidden love!

How far will one woman go for the salvation of her beloved? Mercy Barlowe’s love for Sarah brings down Hell when her puritanical father discovers them together  --  and has his own daughter burnt at the stake.

That sets Mercy on a blood-drenched path to redeem her lover's soul. But to bring an end to the monstrous cult who would cast Sarah into Hell, Mercy must take on the power and fury of the Werewolf!

This is a witch's broth of legendary Hammer horror films and pulp horror comics!

“Scary, compelling, with killer art!” -- Justin Jordan (Spread, Green Lantern)

“Fun and disturbing!” - Joshua Hale Fialkov (I, Vampire)

For more information visit:

http://titan-comics.com/c/210-anathema/

The whole idea of women you can build and who have to do what you tell them is a bit on the 18th century side, no? But the art is always good.

APHRODITE IX THE COMPLETE OVERSIZED HARDCOVER

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Story: MATT HAWKINS, DAVID WOHL

Art: STJEPAN SEJIC, DAVID FINCH

Cover: STJEPAN SEJIC

528 PAGES / FC / T+ / $49.99

The ultimate Aphrodite IX collection, featuring over 500 pages collecting all of the Aphrodite IX books to date. Taking place hundreds of years after a cataclysmic event scorched the surface, Earth and its inhabitants have been forever altered and new landscapes and political struggles have taken hold between two distinct factions fighting for control. Aphrodite IX is both anachronism and advanced technology in a world that she no longer recognizes.

Collects APHRODITE IX V1, APHRODITE IX REBIRTH V1, APHRODITE IX REBIRTH V2, & APHRODITE IX/CYBERFORCE.Nice cover!

ARROW SEASON 2.5 #8

Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM and KETO SHIMIZU

Art by JOE BENNETT and CRAIG YEUNG

Photo cover

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

The thrilling climax of the Brother Blood story arc as the Arrow and Arsenal team up with the Huntress to save Felicity!I hope the "selfie cover" trend is about over. I mean, after a monkey, where else can you go?

ASTRO CITY #23

Written by KURT BUSIEK

Art by BRENT ANDERSON

Cover by ALEX ROSS

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

What do you do when you’re a talking gorilla, and all your life you’ve wanted nothing more than to be a drummer in a rock & roll band? That’s right, you go to Astro City. But from there, well, things are never all that simple. Also featuring the First Family, Honor Guard and more. Part 1 of 2.I haven't read the first Auteur series yet, but I'd like to. It looks so over-the-top that it might be hilarious (if pretty violent).

THE AUTEUR: SISTER BAMBI #1

Publisher: ONI PRESS

Writer: RICK SPEARS

Artist: JAMES CALLAHAN, LUIGI ANDERSON

FC / Mature/ $3.99

Your favorite slapstick comedy gorefest is back! Down on his luck and out on his ass after being thrown out of Hollywood, Nathan T. Rex refuses to accept defeat! Prepping his next exploitation masterpiece, Sister Bambi, Rex and crew head to South America with Nazis, ninjas and budgetary constraints nipping at their heels in search of the most elusive piece of any artistic endeavor: foreign financing! Fall in love all over again with the return of the most insane series of 2014, but in 2015, make sure you wear protection.

I kinda fell off the Marvel bandwagon when I heard about Secret Wars. It seems to me that nothing really "counts" until the post-Secret Wars titles re-establish a status quo, so why bother reading anything? But perhaps I've been hasty. Are the Hickman Avengers books worth reading anyway? I've read up to "Original Sin" -- should I go ahead and finish the runs of Avengers and New Avengers? What about Secret Avengers and Uncanny Avengers?

AVENGERS: TIME RUNS OUT VOL. 3 (PREMIERE HC)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Penciled by STEFANO CASELLI & KEV WALKER

Cover by DALE KEOWN

136 PGS / Rated T+ / $24.99

Trim size: standard

For Earth’s Mightiest Heroes and the Illuminati, it has all been building to this. After two years of carefully crafting his cataclysmic saga, writer Jonathan Hickman jumps ahead eight months to the grand finale, the honest-to-goodness immediate future of the Marvel Universe -- and the day of the Final Incursion! After the revelation of the Illuminati’s desperate, world-destroying actions, the Avengers are fragmented! What has become of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes over the past eight months? What will happen when the Avengers, Illuminati and Cabal clash? And have all the battles they’ve endured, and the sacrifices they’ve made, prepared any of these groups for the inevitable moment when time runs out for everybody? The third act of the astonishing climax to Jonathan Hickman’s legendary run is here! Collecting AVENGERS (2012) #40-42 and NEW AVENGERS (2013) #29-30.Gotham and "Year Zero" have finally made me appreciate The Riddler.

BATMAN: ARKHAM – THE RIDDLER (TPB)

Written by GARDNER FOX, PAUL DINI, SCOTT SNYDER and others

Art by CARMINE INFANTINO, GREG CAPULLO and others

Cover by GUILLEM MARCH

296 pg, FC, $19.99 US

The Riddler’s greatest hits are collected in stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #140, #142, #377, #822, #837, BATMAN #171, #179, #292, #317, #362, BATMAN #23.2: THE RIDDLER, BRAVE AND THE BOLD #183, JOKER’S ASYLUM II: THE RIDDLER #1 and LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #2!As an quasi-professional artist myself, I know what penciled artwork looks like and don't see the appeal of books like this. "Hey, Kids, look! Herea are comics you've already read, now with less ink and less color!" But I know some of you like it, so here you go.

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT UNWRAPPED BY DAVID FINCH (DELUXE EDITION HC)

Writer: DAVID FINCH & VARIOUS

Art/Cover: DAVID FINCH

288 pg, B&W, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $34.99 U.S.

This fantastic unwrapped collection features tales of the Dark Knight written and pencilled by superstar artist David Finch from the pages of BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #1-3, BATMAN: THE RETURN #1 and BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT Vol. 2 #1-7 and 9, all in pencil form.

This seems like a pretty silly concept -- a one-armed earthman able to put one over on advanced alien cultures? -- but I haven't read "Original Sin" yet, so maybe the execution saves it.

BUCKY BARNES: THE WINTER SOLDIER VOL. 1 — THE MAN ON THE WALL (TPB)

Written by ALES KOT

Penciled by MARCO RUDY & LANGDON FOSS

Cover by MARCO RUDY

112 PGS / Rated T+ / $12.99

After the tragedy of ORIGINAL SIN, what becomes of Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier? Discover the cosmic answer here as Bucky takes his place as the newest secret protector of Earth! Wounded by a mystery bullet, Bucky traces the evidence to Asgard, where a secret lurks underneath the kingdom. Bucky has the key -- but first he must face the Frozen Wolves of Niffleheim! Then, on the planet Mer-z-Bow, Bucky meets his match! And as the Winter Soldier comes face-to-face with Crossbones, leap 200 years into the future and discover how Bucky’s actions will affect the Marvel Universe to come! It’s a vision of the future like none you’ve ever seen before! But who took a shot at Bucky? Why? And what will be the cost of his action? Collecting BUCKY BARNES: THE WINTER SOLDIER #1-5.I have to confess that even though I'm pretty sure it won't "count," what various characters do on the last day of the world could be pretty interesting.

CAPTAIN AMERICA & THE MIGHTY AVENGERS #8

Writer: AL EWING

Art/Cover: LUKE ROSS

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

• These are the stories of the end of the world, and of the people who faced the end together.

• Some of them wore costumes, and some of them didn’t. Some had super-human powers, and all some had were each other.

They were the Mighty Avengers. And this is what they did on the last day.Here are this weeks Convergence books, which we'll discuss HERE.

CONVERGENCE #6

Written by JEFF KING and SCOTT LOBDELL

Art by ED BENES

Cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN

Variant cover by TONY S. DANIEL and MARK MORALES

1:25 Variant cover by STEVE RUDE

1:100 Starfire sketch variant cover by AMANDA CONNER

32 pg, FC, 6 of 8, $3.99 US • RATED T

This issue will ship with four covers.

Free of the reign of Telos, a pantheon of heroes unite at last in an effort to defend their collective cities – but they did not count on the threat of Deimos, who suddenly seems to possess the power to tear the Multiverse apart at the seams!CONVERGENCE: AQUAMAN #2

Written by TONY BEDARD

Art by CLIFF RICHARDS

Cover by BECKY CLOONAN

Variant cover designed by CHIP KIDD

40 pg, FC, 2 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T

This issue will ship with two covers.

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! He may be missing a hand, but he sure won’t miss this fight as Aquaman and Deathblow try to kill each other!

This extra-sized issue includes a sneak peek at what’s coming up in the DC Universe!

CONVERGENCE: BATMAN: SHADOW OF THE BAT #2

Written by LARRY HAMA

Art by PHILIP TAN and JASON PAZ

Cover by PHILIP TAN

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Batman and Azrael team up against the original Wetworks lineup from the WildStorm Universe! Armor up!

This extra-sized issue includes a sneak peek at what’s coming up in the DC Universe!

CONVERGENCE: CATWOMAN #2

Written by JUSTIN GRAY

Art by RON RANDALL

Cover by CLAIRE WENDLING

On sale MAY 13 • 40 pg, FC, 2 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T+

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Witness the shocking conclusion to Catwoman’s altercation with the Kingdom Come Batman!

CONVERGENCE: GREEN ARROW #2

Written by CHRISTY MARX

Art by RAGS MORALES and CLAUDE ST-AUBIN

Cover by RAGS MORALES

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! It’s a family feud! The first-ever meeting between Oliver Queen and Connor Hawke gets complicated when they are attacked by Kingdom Come’s Dinah Lance and Olivia Queen!

CONVERGENCE: GREEN LANTERN/PARALLAX #2

Written by TONY BEDARD

Art RON WAGNER and BILL REINHOLD

Cover by STEVE LIEBER

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Hal Jordan is Parallax – and Kyle Rayner is the Green Lantern trying to stop him from committing genocide in their battle against Princess Fern of Electropolis! Let the battle begin!

CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #2

Written by RON MARZ

Art by MIKE MANLEY

Cover by PAUL RENAUD

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Is it time to say goodbye to Ted Kord and Martian Manhunter forever? It is if the heroes of the Kingdom Come universe have anything to say about it!

CONVERGENCE: SUICIDE SQUAD #2

Written by FRANK TIERI

Art by TOM MANDRAKE

Cover by JOHN PAUL LEON

40 pg, FC, 2 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T+

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Bane and Cyborg Superman join Amanda Waller and her Suicide Squad’s attack on Kingdom Come Green Lantern’s floating fortress of New Oa! And lots and lots and lots of heroes die!

CONVERGENCE: SUPERBOY #2

Written by FABIAN NICIEZA

Art by KARL MOLINE and JOSE MARZAN, JR.

Cover by BABS TARR

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Superboy and Kingdom Come Superman face off over Metropolis – but can these two find a way to work together and save both their worlds?

CONVERGENCE: SUPERGIRL: MATRIX #2

Written by KEITH GIFFEN

Art by TIMOTHY GREEN II and JOSEPH SILVER

Cover by HOWARD PORTER

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Supergirl and Ambush Bug fight against … uh … we don’t really understand what Keith Giffen is doing here, but we trust it’ll work out great!

CONVERGENCE: SUPERMAN – THE MAN OF STEEL #2

Written by LOUISE SIMONSON

Art by JUNE BRIGMAN and ROY RICHARDSON

Cover by WALTER SIMONSON

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Will Steel be forced to murder the Gen13 kids in cold blood? Well, what other way is there for him to save Metropolis?

I don't know anything about this online strip, but I do think the title is pretty good advice.

DON'T GET EATEN BY ANYTHING (HC)

Publisher: CONUNDRUM PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover:  DAKOTA MCFADZEAN

Mature / $25.00

This volume collects three years of Dakota McFadzean's daily webcomic, nominated for the Slate Cartoonist Prize and a Shuster Award. Though it began as a diary comic, the strip gradually morphed into its current state: a gnashing, howling little world of cursing children, mutilated faces, worried monsters, and adorable small animals. These figures amble between absurd comedy and that dark, empty feeling of cosmic insignificance that keeps you up at night. "It's funny because we're doomed." -- James KochalkaIt turns out that this is the series that leads into Convergence, if you haven't read it already.

EARTH 2: WORLD’S END VOL. 1 (TPB)

Written by DANIEL H. WILSON, MARGUERITE BENNETT and MIKE JOHNSON

Art by various

Cover by ARDIAN SYAF and JAIME MENDOZA

272 pg, FC, $29.99 US

The first volume collecting issues #1-11 of the hit weekly series delves into the world of Earth-2 – a world that saw its greatest heroes die and new ones take their place. A world where Superman became its greatest villain, and a man named Zod seeks to save it, along with Batman, Green Lantern, The Flash and other heroes. A world they can only save from the forces of Apokolips through great personal sacrifice!This is how I read Fables. Puts me a little behind the rest of you.

FABLES DELUXE EDITION BOOK TEN (HC)

Written by BILL WILLINGHAM

Art by MARK BUCKINGHAM, JIM FERN, CRAIG HAMILTON, TONY AKINS and others

Cover by DANIEL DOS SANTOS

384 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875” $29.99 US • MATURE READERS

In an epic from FABLES #77-82, JACK OF FABLES #33-35, and THE LITERALS #1-3, the existence of the Fables is threatened by The Literals, who just don’t like their messy, mythical lives. And in the original graphic novel FABLES: WEREWOLVES OF THE HEARTLAND, Bigby Wolf goes on a quest to find a new location for Fabletown, only to find a village populated by werewolves!I read the first trade of this series and was mildly entertained. Not enough to read any more, but enough to know it's a decent idea, fairly well executed. Now here's an issue with "special" in the title, so here's hoping it is.

FIVE GHOSTS SPECIAL #1

Story: S.M. VIDAURRI & FRANK J. BARBIERE

Art / Cover: S.M. VIDAURRI

40 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.99

Explore the mythology of FIVE GHOSTS with a beautiful painted story from S.M. VIDAURRI (Jim Henson Storyteller: Witches, Iron: Or, The War After) featuring knights, demons, wizards and the Dreamstone!

And in a special backup story, FRANK J. BARBIERE presents Fabian in one of the most exciting literary heists ever!

“I’m very excited to present readers with a deeper look at the mythology of Five Ghosts,” said Barbiere. “We’ve spent a lot of time building this world and it’s an amazing opportunity to see just how far back our story goes. S.M. Vidaurri has graced many of our covers with his wonderful art and it’s truly our honor to have him painting a full length story. S.M is a fantastic talent and has put together a great story that will resonate with Five Ghosts fans old and new.”

FIVE GHOSTS: SPECIAL #1 features a full-length story written and painted by S.M. Vidaurri that explores the history of The Dreamstone—a magical relic that gives Fabian Gray his ghostly powers—and introduces us to a brave medieval knight named Emma. The story also features demons, wizards, a bold new villain with supernatural powers, and some famous literary figures making surprise appearances.

FIVE GHOSTS: SPECIAL is an oversized issue that also features an all-new story from Barbiere and artist Jamie Jones (DODGER, FIVE GHOSTS #13 HEROES’ HAVEN VARIANT). This special backup features Fabian Gray in an unforgettable literary heist that readers won’t want to miss!

FIVE GHOSTS is a monthly comic book series from Image Comics that follows the adventures of infamous treasure hunter Fabian Gray, who after his encounter with an artifact known as “the Dreamstone” was possessed by five literary ghosts and granted access to their unique abilities. SyFy is currently adapting the series for television with a pilot scripted by Evan Daugherty (Ninja Turtles, Divergent, Snow White and the Huntsman). Daughtery is also attached to executive produce along with Matt Pizzolo and Brett Gurewitz of Black Mask Studios and Chris Bender, Jake Weiner, and Jake Wagner serving as producer for Universal Cable Prods. and Benderspink.

Here's a new graphic novel about, ahhhh ... roller coasters? A circus? A circus during a war? Not sure, really.

FLOOD! A NOVEL IN PICTURES (FOURTH EDITION HC)

Writer/Art: ERIC DROOKER

B&W, 192 pages, $24.99

HC, 6 1/4″ x 9″

This special hardcover edition of Flood! A Novel in Pictures features an “After the Flood” chapter with bonus artwork and an in-depth interview with the author -- and a striking new cover. Flood! is the powerful first graphic novel by Eric Drooker, a frequent cover artist for the New Yorker and creator of Blood Song.

• Original art for Flood! acquired by the Library of Congress.

• A New York Times Editor’s Choice book!

I thought Dynamite had this franchise ...? Maybe they did, and Bantam took it back.

GAME OF THRONES VOL 4 (HC)

Publisher: BANTAM / SPECTRA

Writer: GEORGE R. R. MARTIN, DANIEL ABRAHAM

Art/Cover: TOMMY PATTERSON

Mature / $25.00

Building on the success of the books and the HBO series comes the fourth and final volume in a full-color graphic novel adaptation of the book that began the landmark series by the #1 New York Times-bestselling author. This is the fourth and final volume of the graphic adaptation, compiling issues #19-24 of the 24-issue comic run, which renowned comic publisher Dynamite produced in close conjunction with Random House.I was sent a review copy, but I haven't forced myself to read it yet. It looks depressing.

GHETTO BROTHER

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS

Writer: JULIAN VOLOJ

Art: CLAUDIA AHLERING

6×9, 128 PGS., B&W, TPB, $12.99

This April, NBM Publishing proudly presents Ghetto Brother, the true story of  Benjy Melendez, who brought a truce to the gangs of New York in the '70s.

Jeff Chang, author of Can’t Stop Won’t Stop: A History of the Hip Hop Generation, says in his introduction, "The story of the Ghetto Brothers is the story of the Bronx in the 1970s. … The Ghetto Brothers are still considered legendary by those who know."

An engrossing and counter view of one of the most dangerous elements of American urban history, Ghetto Brother tells the true story of Benjy Melendez, a Bronx legend, son of Puerto-Rican immigrants, who founded, at the end of the 1960s, the notorious Ghetto Brothers gang. From the seemingly bombed-out ravages of his neighborhood, wracked by drugs, poverty and violence, he managed to extract an incredibly positive energy from this riot-ridden era: his multiracial gang promoted peace rather than violence.

After initiating a gang truce, the Ghetto Brothers held weekly concerts on the streets or in abandoned buildings, which fostered the emergence of hip-hop. Melendez also began to reclaim his Jewish roots after learning about his family’s dramatic crypto-Jewish background.

There are two publishers adapting Western classics to manga (that I know of). Judging just by the cover art/packaging, this is the lesser of the two. But there I go, judging a book by its cover. If anybody knows better, please feel free to correct me.

GREAT EXPECTATIONS MANGA CLASSICS (GN)

Publisher: UDON ENTERTAINMENT CORP

Writer: CHARLES DICKENS

Art/Cover: NOKMAN POON

TPB $19.99 / HC $24.99

Great Expectations has it all: romance, mystery, comedy and unforgettable characters woven through a gripping rags-to-riches tale. Naïve Pip, creepy Miss Haversham, beautifully cold Estella, terrifying Abel Magwitch and the rest of Dicken's fantastic cast are perfectly envisioned in this new adaptation in this 300 plus page volume featuring artwork by artist Nokman Poon.The New Gods seem to be a bunch of jerks in The New 52.

GREEN LANTERN VOL. 6: THE LIFE EQUATION (HC)

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by BILLY TAN, FRANCIS PORTELA and others

Cover by BILLY TAN

200 pg, FC, $24.99 US

Having staked their claim to the emotional spectrum, the New Gods set about redefining the universe in their image, starting with Metron, who’s determined to steal the secrets of the Corps’ Citadel. But Hal and the Corps will have something to say about that. Good luck trying to make yourself heard when you’re talking to a god! Collects GREEN LANTERN #35-40, GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #3 and a story from SECRET ORIGINS #3.Another new horror book, only this time from Dark Horse instead of Image. Still, it seems like a golden age of horror books.

HARROW COUNTY #1

Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Art/Cover: TYLER CROOK

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

This town will make your skin crawl!

Emmy always knew that the deep, dark woods surrounding her home crawled with ghosts, goblins, and zombies. But on the eve of her eighteenth birthday, she learns that she is connected to these creatures -- and to the land itself -- in a way she never imagined.

Don’t miss the first issue of this southern gothic fairy tale from the creator of smash hit The Sixth Gun, beautifully and hauntingly realized by B.P.R.D.’s Tyler Crook!

• Featuring two backup stories exclusive to the single issues!

• Drawn by Eisner-winning B.P.R.D. artist Tyler Crook!Here's a bunch of variant covers.

HOWARD THE DUCK #3

Writer: CHIP ZDARSKY

Art/Cover: JOE QUINONES

Variant cover by JASON LATOUR

NYC Variant by BOBBY RUBIO

• Howard’s big first case goes off the rails as he’s pulled into investigating a NYC crime spree!

• But this spree features a Very Special Guest Star!

• We’ll only give you one hint: they’re a Marvel Comics character who has “died” before! Hope that narrows it down for you, True Believer!I think Warren Ellis has found his nirvana: A major publisher that will turn his story ideas into miniseries with broad distribution.

INJECTION #1

Story: WARREN ELLIS

Art / Covers A & B: DECLAN SHALVEY & JORDIE BELLAIRE

MAY 13 / 24 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Warren Ellis (TREES, SUPREME: BLUE ROSE, Moon Knight) reunites with artist Declan Shalvey (Moon Knight) and Eisner Award-winning colorist Jordie Bellaire (PRETTY DEADLY, Moon Knight) for an all-new, science fiction series that will explore a disturbing, dystopian future in INJECTION, which will launch from Image Comics on May 13. 

INJECTION is set in a dystopian future where the world has been poisoned. Issue #1 focuses on Maria Kilbride -- a scientist working for a large multinational corporation at fault for the damage -- who must deal with the messes caused by the company's experimental research. She is joined in the effort by an investigator, a technician and an esotericist.

“Injection is very heavily about the sort of things I've been discussing in my talks at conferences of late,” said Ellis in an interview with USA Today about the new project. “The connections between deep history and the future, between folklore and technology, the ways in which the present moment is haunted by the future as well as the past."

Oh god, more? Will this depressing series never end?

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US YEAR FOUR #1

Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art by BRUNO REDONDO, XERMANICO and JUAN ALBARRAN

Cover by HOWARD PORTER

1:25 Variant cover by MATTHEW CLARK

This issue will arrive in stores with two covers.

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

Superman’s regime has been opposed by the Green Lantern Corps and by those who wield the power of magic, but the Man of Steel has emerged battered yet still in control. Now he’s about to face his greatest opponents yet: the gods themselves! Hera’s role in awakening Wonder Woman from her coma has drawn the attention of Mount Olympus, and these new players are about to test existing alliances.Still loving this classy art, which incorporates a lot of clean design elements.

LADY KILLER #5 (OF 5)

Writer/Art/Cover; JOËLLE JONES

Writer: JAMIE S. RICH

Colors: LAURA ALLRED

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Miniseries

Josie closes in on the truth behind who really wants to end her life as a cheerful housewife, mother, and ruthlessly skilled assassin! Who is really behind the hit? And are they closer to home than she’d like?

“A level of violence that can only be described as Mad Men’s Betty Draper meets Dexter.” -- Comic Book ResourcesWhat? Another new series from Image? It's not horror, but still -- they're really on a roll these days.

THE MANTLE #1

Story: ED BRISSON

Art / cover A: BRIAN LEVEL

Cover B: PHIL HESTER

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

Fan favorite writer Ed Brisson (SHELTERED) and artist Brian Level (LAZARUS, Quantum & Woody) team up for an all-new superhero series about an average man who becomes an unwilling host to tremendous power in THE MANTLE. The series launches from Image Comics on May 13.

THE MANTLE follows Robbie -- just your average, run-of-the-mill guy -- as he drunkenly stumbles out of a punk show one evening. On his way home he’s hit with lightning and wakes to find that he’s been chosen as the new host for The Mantle, a power set of unimaginable scope. Despite his lack of interest, he’s forced into action. The Plague, a being who has spent 50 years killing every previous host of The Mantle, is already coming for him.

"Brian and I have been talking about working on a project together for a few years now, so we're both thrilled to finally have the opportunity to do so," said Brisson. "The Mantle is, in my opinion, a really fun direction for a superhero book where not everything is black and white and where, by the end of the first issue, I think that readers are going to realize that what they think is happening ... is not what's really happening."

This arrives the same month Herb Trimpe dies. The universe works in mysterious ways.

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE INCREDIBLE HULK VOL. 9 (HC)

Written by STEVE ENGLEHART with ARCHIE GOODWIN, ROY THOMAS, STEVE GERBER & CHRIS CLAREMONT

Penciled by HERB TRIMPE

Cover by HERB TRIMPE

Direct Market Variant: VOL 218

304 PGS / Rated T / $75.00

Artist Herb Trimpe is joined by writer Steve Englehart for another Hulk-sized Marvel Masterworks edition! But first, a trip to Counter-Earth, where Hulk confronts his most-hated enemy: Bruce Banner! Add in the Rhino and the Abomination, and the action and drama can’t be contained! Then, Hulk heads for Canada where the X-Men’s Mimic returns, and the Wendigo makes his first appearance! And Hulk’s travels will take him both over land and undersea until he returns to the United States to unleash his vengeance on General Thunderbolt Ross! When the malevolent M.O.D.O.K. mutates Betty Ross into the Harpy, Hulk must save her -- even if she’s now married to Glenn Talbot -- in an adventure that ends like every Hulk story ought to: with the green goliath battling giant monsters! Collecting INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) #157-170.

I'm still fuzzy on what this actually is, but if you're into it, here's the latest collection.

MASS EFFECT LIBRARY EDITION VOL 2 (HC)

Writers: MAC WALTERS, JEREMY BARLOW

Art: OMAR FRANCIA, TONY PARKER, GARRY BROWN, BENJAMIN CARRÉ

Pencils: MATTHEW CLARK

Inks: DREW GERACI, SEAN PARSONS

Colors: MICHAEL ATIYEH

Cover: TONY PARKER

FC, 312 pages, $49.99

HC, 9″ x 12″

Bring me the corpse of Commander Shepherd!

Featuring behind-the-scenes annotations by the creators, this deluxe oversized hardcover collects the Mass Effect: Foundation series, a story from Free Comic Book Day 2013, Mass Effect: Blasto -- Eternity Is Forever, and a beautiful gallery section of covers, exclusive sketches, process drawings, and more, making this an essential edition for any Mass Effect fan!

• From the lead writer of the blockbuster Mass Effect 2 and 3 games!

• Starring bounty hunter Urdnot Wrex, geneticist Mordin Solus, assassin Thane Krios and other members of the Normandy crew!

The ultimate Mass Effect story collection!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180Since some of you seem to be reading this, here's a preview.

MIAMI VICE: REMIX #3 (of 5)

1936685701?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writer: JOE CASEY

Art/Cover: JIM MAHFOOD

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

The new street drug that's zombified the citizens of Miami is pushing the Miami PD to its limits! Crockett and Tubbs may be the city's only hope ...

As if cracked-out SoFla monsters weren’t enough, it looks like Crockett’s past has caught up with him when his ex-partner’s brother shows up in a rage. Blaming our hero for the incident that took his little bro out of action, this guy’s happy to get his hands dirty exacting bloody revenge. Meanwhile, Tubbs is undercover tracking down the zombifying Miami Bath Salts, but gets a little too close to the action. How are the boys gonna get out of this one with their Ray-Bans clean? Oh, and if you've been wondering what happened to Elvis, he’s re-entered the building in a big way, along with a very special musical guest.

Writer Joe Casey (Godland, Wildcats, Adventures of Superman) and artist Jim Mahfood (Tank Girl, Ultimate Spider-Man, Grrl Scouts) deliver another high-stakes ride with neon high-rises and fluorescent eight-balls in Miami Vice Remix #3!1936685790?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936685889?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936687814?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936690029?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936692290?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936692467?profile=RESIZE_180x180I was wondering if and how Wilson would deal with cultural differences. Looks like I'm gonna find out.

MS. MARVEL #15

1936692448?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936692654?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936692467?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: G. WILLOW WILSON

Art: TAKESHI MIYAZAWA

Cover by KRIS ANKA

NYC Variant by TBA

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $2.99

• True love or true enemy?

• There’s a reason it’s called a CRUSH.

• Ms. Marvel faces her most confusing challenge yet!

1801467472?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936694744?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936696959?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936698770?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801467472?profile=RESIZE_180x180Good lord, ANOTHER new Image title! How can they afford this? How can WE afford this?

MYTHIC #1

d7098f1f-ba7f-412c-a1a2-86d6947ae0e5.jpg?width=250STK671619.jpg?width=2501801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Story: PHIL HESTER

Art / Cover A: JOHN McCREA

Cover B: SEAN GORDON MURPHY

MAY 6 / 32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $1.99

SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICE OF $1.99!

Bestselling Eisner-nominated writer Phil Hester (Green Arrow, The Coffin) joins Eisner Award-winning artist John McCrea (Hitman, The Boys) for MYTHIC, an all-new supernatural series about an unlikely crew charged with maintaining (and covering up) the network of magic that keeps the world at status quo. The series launches from Image Comics on May 6.

In MYTHIC #1, “science” is a lie told to the masses. In truth, the fibers of what keeps the world in existence are comprised of magic. And an unlikely team -- Apache shaman Waterson, Greek immortal Cassandra, and cell phone salesman Nate Jayadarma -- is charged with keeping all the world’s magic in check -- as well as a secret -- from humanity. But what happens when those supernatural gears that keep the world turning come to a grinding halt?

“Always a real pleasure to be working with Phil Hester and with Mythic he's provided some big, exciting themes for me to sink my teeth into,” said McCrea. “We've assembled a crack team of international comic operatives to insure that this is top drawer comic experience!”

Hester added: "I think John is a singular talent and has a tremendous gift for pathos, comedy and horror, so MYTHIC has been tuned to fit all those abilities. I can't think of another book quite like it on the stands, but if you enjoy Kirby-style action and high concepts combined with creepy horror and irreverent humor, you found your comic book."

1936700749?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936702735?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936704901?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936707419?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936707447?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936709684?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180Wait, hasn't this come out already? Regardless, this is one of the titles I regretted losing when Tekno-Comix folded, way back in the Long Before Time. I don't know if it was Gaiman's influence or the eccentric art (by Sienkiewicz and Brereton), but it was memorable.

NEIL GAIMAN'S LADY JUSTICE VOL 1 (HC)

STK668311.jpg?width=250Publisher: SUPER GENIUS

Writer: C. J. HENDERSON, WENDI LEE

Art: BILL SIENKIEWICZ & Various

Cover: DAN BRERETON

From the mind of New York Times-bestselling author and Eisner Award-winning author Neil Gaiman, Lady Justice is the living embodiment of justice, possessing oppressed women and giving them the ability to fight their tormentors. In times of trouble, the spirit of Justice appears before women and offers them the chance to take revenge on their male abusers. This graphic novel series will collect all of the classic Lady Justice comics for the first time anywhere.1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You know, the four issues of Night Nurse were gawdawful. Seriously, they were bad. The only thing worth reading in this collection is the Daredevil story, where the character was re-imagined as an underground EMT for superheroes.

NIGHT NURSE (TPB)

1801488378?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writers: JEAN THOMAS, LINDA FITE & BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art: WINSLOW MORTIMER & ALEX MALEEV

Cover by SIYA OUM

112 PGS / Rated T+ / $7.99

• Marvel’s 1970s cult-classic miniseries is collected in one super-sized one-shot!

• Linda Carter, Georgia Jenkins and Christine Palmer are all studying to become nurses. But what will happen when Linda must choose between love and career?

• Can Georgia stop her brother from holding the hospital hostage?

• As the nurses care for a mysterious hit-and-run victim, Christine realizes that her new boyfriend hides a terrible secret!

• When a mob war spills over into the hospital, Linda must act fast to save lives!

• Will Christine survive learning the secret of Sea-Cliff Manor?

• And when Daredevil is fatally shot, the Night Nurse must step out of the shadows and return to action!

• Guest-starring Black Widow, Elektra, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones!

• Collecting NIGHT NURSE (1972) #1-4 and DAREDEVIL (1998) #80.

1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180Wait, if the angels are named "Panty" and "Stocking," then what sort of names do the devils have?

No, no, never mind, I don't want to know.

PANTY & STOCKING WITH GARTERBELT (TPB)

1801482070?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer/Art/Cover: TAGRO

B&W, 136 pages, $9.99

TPB, 5 1/8″ x 7 1/4″ 

Panty and Stocking are cute but highly dangerous angels, booted out of heaven for wrath, sloth, lust, envy, avarice, and gluttony (at least pride wasn’t high on their list). Now residing among the sinners of Daten City, the angels try to earn their way back into grace by exorcising evil at the behest of their questionable preacher boss, the Afro-bedecked Garterbelt!

• Based directly on the cult GAINAX anime from Funimation!

• Features new stories not in the original anime!

• From the creators of Kill La Kill and Gurren Lagann!1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180paswgbp1.jpg?width=150paswgbp2.jpg?width=150paswgbp3.jpg?width=1501801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180paswgbp4.jpg?width=150paswgbp5.jpg?width=150paswgbp6.jpg?width=1501801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180This stuff is surprisingly good, much better than the contemporaneous "jungle action" comics like Sheena and Rulah. After reading a few of these, I understand why this character has lasted so long.

PHANTOM SUNDAYS ARCHIVE FULL HALF PAGES VOL 1: 1939-1942 (HC)

STK653901.jpg?width=525Publisher: HERMES PRESS

Writer: LEE FALK

Art/Cover: RAY MOORE

$129.99

Imagine waking up in 1939 and reading the first Phantom Sunday strip in the newspaper. Now, for the first time, these rare Phantom Sundays are being collected in their full size in an archival reprint of the first six Phantom stories! The artwork for these Sundays was created by Lee Falk and Ray Moore in a half page format, so this reprint is faithful to the originals and reproduces every detail of these Sundays as seen in Sunday sections of newspapers. These Sunday pages have the same look and feel of the originals only now they're collected in a high quality art book format that will last forever. The print run of this book is limited to 1,000 copies.1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180This is not the sort of thing I usually read, but I have to admit that "Leech Woman" is pretty creepy. Makes it tempting.

PUPPET MASTER #3

1801413633?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801413781?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801467370?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801413945?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: SHAWN GABBORIN

Pencils, Inks: MICHELA DA SACCO

Colors: YANN PERRELET

Leech Woman Cover: MICHELA DA SACCO (pencils/inks), YANN PERRELET (colors)

Leech Woman Sketch Cover: MICHELA DA SACCO (pencils/inks)

Leech Woman Photo Cover

32 pgs. / Mature Readers / FC

$3.99 / $4.99 Variant

And then there were two.

Two friends still trapped at the Bodega Bay Inn. Two friends being hunted by Andre Toulon’s twisted Puppets. Or is only ONE of them truly in danger? The Offering has been made … will it be accepted? Features three variant covers depicting Leech Woman! Limited to 1,500 copies each.

1801467370?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936709929?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936712125?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936714201?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936716416?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936718485?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936718625?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801467370?profile=RESIZE_180x180There goes my theory that sex was invented in the 1960s, dang it. Maybe it was the 1760s?

REBELS #2

1801536278?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer: BRIAN WOOD

Art: ANDREA MUTTI

Colors: JORDIE BELLAIRE

Cover: TULA LOTAY

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

While Seth Abbott patrols the New England forests with his militia, his new bride Mercy holds down the home front. But whatever honeymoon period the growing American Revolution affords them is cut short when Seth and Ezekiel go on a daring nighttime raid determined to deny the British access down the Hudson River. 

• From best-selling writer Brian Wood (The Massive, DMZ, Northlanders).

• A great book for history buffs, revolutionaries, and action-adventure lovers alike!1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180rebels2p1.jpg?width=150rebels2p2.jpg?width=150rebels2p3.jpg?width=1501801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180rebels2p4.jpg?width=150rebels2p5.jpg?width=1501801467472?profile=RESIZE_180x180I kinda drifted off after the second trade, because it didn't seem like the writer was in any hurry to investigate any of the central mysteries, and the narrative kept wandering off into tangents. I may pick it back up if the book ever starts acting like it's going somewhere.

REVIVAL, VOL. 5: GATHERING OF WATERS (TPB)

Revival_tp_05.jpg?width=250Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Story: TIM SEELEY

Art / Cover: MIKE NORTON & MARK ENGLERT

128 PAGES / FC / T+ / $14.99

For one day in rural central Wisconsin, the dead came back to life. Now it’s up to Officer Dana Cypress to deal with the media scrutiny, religious zealots, and government quarantine that have come with them. As the pregnant Em searches for the missing father of her child, Dana is embroiled in a conspiracy to contain Revivers that ends in fire.

Collects REVIVAL #24-29.1801467472?profile=RESIZE_180x180Another collection series I can't afford.

RIP KIRBY, VOL. 8

1801686249?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer: FRED DICKENSON

Art/Cover: JOHN PRENTICE

HC • B&W • $49.99 • 288 pages • 11” x 10”

The suave detective mixes it up with more stunning beauties, sleazy blackmailers, and vicious murderers, drawn in John Prentice’s slick, award-winning photo-realistic style. Containing more than 800 sequential comics from October 10, 1964 to July 8, 1967!

Reproduced from the original King Features Syndicate proofs!

• Only in comics can a 75-year-old be a "boy."

ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER: A CELEBRATION OF 75 YEARS (HC)

1801422252?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by BILL FINGER, DON CAMERON, CHUCK DIXON and others

Art by BOB KANE, JERRY ROBINSON, DICK SPRANG and others

Cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

400 pg, FC, $39.99 U.S.

2015 marks the 75th anniversary of Robin, the Boy Wonder! DC Comics is proud to present this new hardcover anthology collecting some of Robin’s greatest stories, featuring his adventures with Batman, the Teen Titans and more!1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180I've forgotten why I pulled this one for comment. So, insert your own comments here.

SAVAGE HULK VOL. 2: DOWN TO THE CROSSROADS (TPB)

1936575976?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by CORINNA BECHKO, GABRIEL HARDMAN, JEFF PARKER, JESSE BLAZE SNIDER & MORE

Penciled by GABRIEL HARDMAN, STEVEN KURTH & MORE

Cover by GABRIEL HARDMAN

120 PGS / Rated T / $12.99

Fan-favorite Gabriel Hardman spotlights the Hulk’s savage side! It’s a Crossroads of Destruction as we travel back to a time in Hulk’s life when he was mindless, enraged and unstoppable! Banished to a realm between dimensions by the Avengers, Hulk is no longer a threat to Earth — but free of Bruce Banner’s calming influence, what damage will the Hulk do to other worlds? Will the mindless brute destroy an entire civilization to get revenge on Doctor Strange? And what is the Hulk without his humanity? Plus: The Hulk takes on Frankenstein’s Monster and a hoary host of Marvel’s scariest creatures! And it’s a beatdown of literally monumental proportions when the Hulk and the Wrecking Crew wage war in our nation’s capitol! Collecting SAVAGE HULK #5-6, HULK: MONSTER-SIZE SPECIAL and HULK: LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!1801524382?profile=RESIZE_180x180I don't know anything about this book, and I know a lot about Todd McFarlane (none of it nice), but I was impressed by the unusual camera angle on this cover, and the artist's ability to pull it off. Plus, Image was proud enough of it to send this press release.

SAVIOR #2

872421429287205205.jpg?width=250Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Story: BRIAN HOLGUIN & TODD McFARLANE

Art / Cover: CLAYTON CRAIN

32 PAGES / FC / T / $2.99

Todd McFarlane -- one of the biggest names in comics -- teams up with co-writer Brian Holguin (SPAWN, Mr. Majestic) and artist Clayton Crain (X-Force) for the new series SAVIOR, which launched to critical acclaim and fan enthusiasm. Comic Book Resources said of the new series, “McFarlane and Holguin introduce an intriguing central character as well as some interesting supporting ones.” This series is sure to be a new favorite for McFarlane fans and new readers alike.

In SAVIOR, a tragic airplane crash has killed hundreds. Why? And because of the massive catastrophe, a small town braces itself for the onslaught of news media invading their city. But the biggest mystery may be the man who randomly walked out of the corn fields following the crash. Who is he? Where did he come from? And why can’t he remember if he was a passenger on that fatal plane? But this much is clear -- this individual possesses certain powers, abilities that harken from the Old Testament. ... Could he possibly be this corrupted world's SAVIOR in the flesh? Or will he be the world's undoing?

Praise for SAVIOR:

“Clayton Crain absolutely nails the ending of Savior #1 with a scene that made me feel like I was there. It's a powerful finale that shows just how the savior comes to be, while at the same time leaves unanswered questions in the minds of the reader. Savior left me guessing and it's supposed to.” -- Comic Spectrum

“The art is pretty great. Did I mention that this is a gorgeous book?There are two things that really sell this story. … The first is clearly the art, which should be easily discernible the second you open the book. The second part is that this is a story McFarlane and Holguin appear to be crafting carefully, which is something I can appreciate.” -- Rhymes with Geek

“Everything just came together for this first issue. We get bits and pieces but nothing is forgotten. Savior has some great art and with some great plot building. I think Savior is here to stay and can't wait for you guys to pick it up.” -- Comic Bastards

“Great art, great characterization and a unique enough twist on the millennia-old notion of a character who can seemingly perform miracles.” -- Comic Book Resources

1936685018?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936686813?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936689485?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936691394?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936691824?profile=RESIZE_180x180It's Thormageddon! A Thunderground rave! A Thorgy! Oh, make up your own pun.

SECRET WARS #2 (of 8)

1936694120?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936696197?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936696458?profile=RESIZE_320x320

1936698099?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936698718?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936700734?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801524382?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art: ESAD RIBIC

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Variant by ESAD RIBIC

Variant by YASMINE PUTRI

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Connecting Variant by SIMONE BIANCHI

Classic Variant by KEVIN NOWLAN

56 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

• WHEN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE IS GONE, ALL THAT REMAINS IS BATTLEWORLD!

• LEARN THE SECRETS OF THIS BRAVE NEW REALM IN THIS SPECIAL OVERSIZED ISSUE!1801524382?profile=RESIZE_180x180Girl, that boy gonna break your heart.

SILK #4

1936702782?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: ROBBIE THOMPSON

Art: STACEY LEE

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

Silk and Johnny Storm’s first date! Nuff’ said?1801524382?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936704747?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936705045?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936705085?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936707325?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936709311?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936711240?profile=RESIZE_180x180I've said before I was unimpressed when this came out originally, but I'm a hard guy to please. You might enjoy it immensely.

STAR SLAMMERS: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION

1936711361?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936713669?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801524382?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer/Art/Cover: WALTER SIMONSON

HC • FC • $49.99 • 300 pages • 8” x 12”

Walter Simonson is one of the most acclaimed creators working in comics today. In a career spanning more than 40 years, Simonson co-created Manhunter, drew the New York Times best-selling Alien graphic novel (both in collaboration with Archie Goodwin), wrote and drew a much-lauded four-year run on The Mighty Thor, and is currently re-inventing Norse-mythology in the pages of Ragnarök here at IDW. And then there was Star Slammers.

Star Slammers was first published as a Marvel Graphic Novel in 1983 and then as a five-issue mini-series that detailed the adventures of the greatest group of mercenaries the galaxy has ever known -- they could out-shoot, out-fight and out-kill anybody, and became the most successful businessmen in history.

Now, IDW Publishing is pleased to announce Star Slammers: The Complete Collection by Walter Simonson. Collecting the graphic novel and mini-series, as well as short stories, covers, and pin-ups. And, for the first time ever, this volume will print the original version of Star Slammers -- produced by Simonson as a class project at the Rhode Island School of Design a year before he became a professional comics creator. More than 60 pages of never-before-seen work, a treasure-trove for any Walter Simonson fan.

As a very special bonus, every copy of the first printing of Star Slammers will have a bound in signature plate, each signed by Simonson in his trademark “dinosaur” signature, and at no extra cost.

1936715858?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936716093?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936718394?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936720823?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936722750?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936725162?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801524382?profile=RESIZE_180x180I read this one already, and I have to see that not only is the photo-manipulation nicely done, but Byrne gets the "feel" of the character dialogue right. He's obviously done his homework.

STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS: “RESISTANCE”

1801505626?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer/Art/Photo-Manipulation: JOHN BYRNE

FC • 48 pages • $7.99

One word: Borg!

Attempts to resist this special Original Series-era photoplay are futile!

1801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936727278?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936729281?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936731339?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936733439?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936735764?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936735799?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x180I'm pretty sure all this material was originally published in Dark Horse comics. If that makes a difference to anyone.

STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION: THE NEW REPUBLIC VOL. 1 (TPB)

1936578873?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by TIMOTHY ZAHN, MICHAEL A. STACKPOLE, STEVE PERRY, JOHN WAGNER, ANDY MANGELS, IAN EDGINTON, RICH HEDDEN, KILIAN PLUNKETT, LUCAS MARANGON & MORE

Penciled by CARLOS EZQUERRA, RON RANDALL, KILIAN PLUNKETT, JOHN NADEAU, IGOR KORDEY, CARLOS MEGLIA, RICK LEONARDI, LUCAS MARANGON & MORE

Cover by DUNCAN FEGREDO

488 PGS / Rated T / $34.99

When the Empire falls, a New Republic rises! After Star Wars: Episode VI -- Return of the Jedi, Emperor Palpatine is dead -- but can his faithful Hand, Mara Jade, complete her final mission of revenge? Replica droid assassin Guri has also lost her master … but as she struggles for humanity, her android brain makes her a target! When rivals clash over Jabba the Hutt’s criminal empire, the Bloated One makes a surprising appearance! And a mysterious doppelganger is asking for trouble impersonating everyone’s favorite bounty hunter -- it’s Boba Fett vs. Boba Fett! Collecting STAR WARS: MARA JADE -- BY THE EMPEROR’S HAND #0-6, STAR WARS: SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE -- EVOLUTION #1-5, STAR WARS: THE JABBA TAPE, STAR WARS: BOBA FETT -- TWIN ENGINES OF DESTRUCTION, and material from STAR WARS TALES #1, #3-5, #10, #14-15, #20 and #22.

Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2015 Lucasfilm Ltd.

DC has been sending me review copies of this series, but I don't really get much out of them. I've just never been much into sports of any kind.

STRANGE SPORTS STORIES #3

1936631490?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by VARIOUS

Art by VARIOUS

Cover by WES CRAIG

40 pg, FC, 3 of 4, $4.99 US • MATURE READERS

Continuing the Vertigo take on the classic DC Comics anthology title for a third issue of strange, scary, sexy and sensational sports stories. Featuring stories and art by Brian Azzarello, CM Punk, Paul Pope, Gilbert Hernandez, Lauren Beukes, Ben McCool, Ivan Brandon, Monica Gallagher, Lee Loughridge, Nick Dragotta, Christopher Mitten, Darick Robertson, Mark Finn, John Lucas, Gabe Soria, Ronald Wimberly, Michael DiMotta, Tim Fish, Rael Lyra and many more!

1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180I'm betting her identity will turn out to be "a Thor from the future after our Thor is dead," or "Thor from a parallel universe," but I'm probably wrong.

THOR #8

1936737597?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936739745?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: JASON AARON

Art/Cover: RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

NYC Variant by MIKE MAYHEW

• The final battle with the Destroyer!

• Guest stars galore!

• A shocking return!

• And oh yeah ... Thor’s secret identity revealed at last!!!

This is it! The answer you’ve all been waiting for! The identity of Thor, Goddess of Thunder, finally revealed! Who is this mysterious heroine with the might of Mjolnir in her hands? The question will finally be answered this May in the blockbuster THOR #8 – from the critically acclaimed creative team of Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman! As the final battle with the Destroyer reaches its climax, Thor and Odinson call in a little backup. Amid the fire and the fury of battle, questions will be answered. A surprising return! Guest stars galore! And a last page that will send shockwaves through the Marvel Universe! Don’t miss the comic that will have the world talking when THOR #8 comes to comic shops and digital devices this May!

1936739952?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936741835?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936744404?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936746465?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936748809?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• Is this series worth reading, boys and girls? Or should I just wait for Battleworld to hit the reset button?

THOR VOL. 1: THE GODDESS OF THUNDER (PREMIERE HC)

1936566474?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by JASON AARON

Penciled by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN & JORGE MOLINA

Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

136 PGS / Rated T+ / $24.99

Trim size: standard

Mjolnir lies on the moon, unable to be lifted! Something dark has befallen the God of Thunder, leaving him unworthy for the first time ever! But when Frost Giants invade Earth, the hammer will be lifted -- and a mysterious woman will be transformed into an all-new version of the mighty Thor! Who is this new Goddess of Thunder? Not even Odin knows, but she may be Earth’s only hope against the Frost Giants! Get ready for a Thor like you’ve never seen before, as this all-new heroine takes Midgard by storm! Plus: The Odinson clearly doesn’t like that someone else is holding his hammer -- it’s Thor vs. Thor! And Odin, desperate to see Mjolnir returned, will call on some very dangerous, very unexpected allies. It’s a bold new chapter in the storied history of Thor! Collecting THOR (2014) #1-5.

1801524382?profile=RESIZE_180x180I have no interest whatsoever in the turtles, but here are two new collections if you do.

TMNT CLASSICS VOL 10 (TPB)

STK664835.jpg?width=250Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer/Art/Cover: JIM LAWSON

$19.99

Features the final four issues, #10-13, of TMNT Volume 2, all by longtime Turtles writer/artist Jim Lawson.

1801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x180TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES, VOL. 5 (TPB)

1801580965?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writers: LANDRY Q. WALKER, PAUL ALLOR

Art: CHAD THOMAS, BILLY MARTIN, DARIO BRIZUELA

Cover: DARIO BRIZUELA

All-new stories based in the world of the hit Nickelodeon animated TV show! Collects issues #17–20.

TPB • FC • $17.99 • 104 pages

“As ever it keeps the flair of the Nickelodeon series brilliantly.” -- Unleash the Fanboy1801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x180I haven't read any of this yet, but with Gail Simone's name attached, I will sooner or later.

TOMB RAIDER VOLUME 2: SECRETS AND LIES (TPB)

1801513296?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writer: GAIL SIMONE, RHIANNA PRATCHETT

Pencils: DERLIS SANTACRUZ, NICOLÁS DANIEL SELMA

Inks: ANDY OWENS, JUAN GEDEON

Colors: MICHAEL ATIYEH

Cover: ANDY PARK

On sale May 13

FC, 132 pages, $19.99

TPB, 7″ x 10″

After the return to Yamatai Island, Lara and her friends try to put the horror of what happened there behind them and return to “normal” life. However, when a dearly departed friend pleads for help, Lara goes on a globetrotting adventure fraught with new perils and a horrible truth that must be brought to light at all costs! Collects issues #7-12 of the ongoing series.1801470608?profile=RESIZE_180x180tr7p1.jpg?width=150tr7p2.jpg?width=150tr7p3.jpg?width=1501801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x180tr7p4.jpg?width=150tr7p5.jpg?width=150tr7p6.jpg?width=1501801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x180As with the turtles, I am not much on Transformers. But I'm likely in the minority, so here's a new collection.

TRANSFORMERS: MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE, VOL. 7 (TPB)

1801485313?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IDW Publishing

Writer: JAMES ROBERTS

Art: ALEX MILNE, ATILIO ROJO

Cover: ALEX MILNE

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 132 pages

Days of Deception begins. No conflict, no sadness, no angst. Collects issues #34–38.

“More Than Meets The Eye … finds sci-fi concepts and settings, has as much fun as possible and just goes with the flow.” -- Unleash The Fanboy1801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x180It's still true. Disney comics at IDW when Disney owns the largest comics publisher in North America. *shakes head*

UNCLE SCROOGE #2

1801427017?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IDW Publishing

Writers: JONATHAN GRAY, JAN KRUSE

Art: BAS HEYMANS

Cover: JONATHAN GRAY

Subscription Variant: DEREK CHARM

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

“Shiver Me Timbers!” Hunting a haunted Caribbean treasure, Scrooge is guided by three ghost pirates’ disembodied hand, foot, and eyeball!

• Monthly Disney Comics are back, from IDW!

• 40 action-packed Pages for only $3.99!

• “Disney Legacy” Tomorrowland Variant Cover by James (Darkwing Duck) Silvani!

1801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936683995?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936683944?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936685920?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936687816?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936687885?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936690133?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x180I read the first trade, and to my astonishment, found it utterly boring. It was more sociology than scary vampire stuff. But if you're following it, here's the next chapter.

V-WARS, VOL. 2: ALL OF US MONSTERS

1801610797?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IDW Publishing

Writer: JONATHAN MABERRY

Art: MARCO TURINI, ALAN ROBINSON

Cover: RYAN BROWN

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 136 pages

Big Dog and V-8 are in the crosshairs of the world’s most dangerous special operative: Joe Ledger. And the members of V-8 are tasked to hunt down and obtain plans for a stolen vampire gene screener. Collects issues #6–11.

“It is scary good.” -- Unleash the Fanboy1801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x180Oh, for -- ! He's still alive? They didn't just kill him? We're going to have read more about Negan? Gah! Give me a gun! I'LL kill him! He's the least interesting, least plausible bad guy the series has ever produced. Every scene he's in knocks my suspension of disbelief to zero. Do you hear me Kirkman? YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKES NEGAN!

THE WALKING DEAD #141

WalkingDead_141.jpg?width=250Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Story: ROBERT KIRKMAN

Art: CHARLIE ADLARD, STEFANO GAUDIANO, & CLIFF RATHBURN

Cover: CHARLIE ADLARD & DAVE STEWART

MAY 13 / 32 PAGES / BW / M / $2.99

Opportunity.1801467472?profile=RESIZE_180x180Really not into gay comics, but if you are, here you go.

WUVABLE OAF

STK662010.jpg?width=250Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: ED LUCE

March 2015 • $29.99  • Hardcover

264 pages, black & white with 16 pages color

Fantagraphics Books is proud to announce the acquisition of Ed Luce’s indie comic sensation Wuvable Oaf, to be released March 2015. Like Sex and the City but with adorable, ex-wrestler hairy gay men (or bears), Wuvable Oaf is Luce’s debut graphic novel. This book fills a romance comics hole by portraying a likeable gay male character that is both fully realized and relatable. Mostly playful, but sometimes serious, Wuvable Oaf captures the levity of loneliness. Luce delivers a rom-com that would leave Zack Galifianakis and Zooey Deschanel feuding over who got to play Oaf in a hypothetical movie adaptation.

Oaf is a large, hirsute, scary-looking ex-wrestler who lives in San Francisco with his adorable kitties, and listens to a lot of Morrissey. The book follows Oaf’s search for love in the big city, especially his pursuit of Eiffel, the lead singer of the black metal/queercore/progressive disco grindcore band Ejaculoid. Luce weaves friends, associates, enemies, ex-lovers and the pasts of both men into the story of their courtship. Like Scott Pilgrim, Love and Rockets and Archie, Wuvable Oaf explores the joys and pains of romantic conquests, set against the backdrop of the San Francisco scene. After decades of comics about boy-loves-girl, Luce finally gives readers of all orientations some insight into man-loves-man. Oaf’s silly, sweet, and sometimes sexy stories will win over everyone’s heart.

ed-%26-oaf-cookies.jpg?width=200“The first indie comics I ever bought were published by Fantagraphics, including Love and Rockets, Eightball and Usagi Yojimbo,” explains cartoonist Ed Luce. “Much of Wuvable Oaf's DNA was directly influenced by Fantagraphics publications. In putting this collection together, it's like they’ve stepped forward to claim paternity. I couldn't be more excited to find myself in the company of such wonderful work.”

Fantagraphics associate publisher Eric Reynolds says he’s "eager to take Ed Luce’s infectious voice and inviting visual style to a bigger stage, because I believe he’s only scratched the surface of his potential audience for the Oaf, who is one of the most singular characters to emerge from the corners of ‘alternative comics’ in several years.”

Ed Luce (pronounced “loose,” like the opposite of tight) has made a huge splash in the comics scene with his self-published comic book series. Since 2008 he’s been traveling to conventions and comics festivals all over the U.S. Wuvable Oaf has garnered a huge following of fans both in the comics world and in the queer art world. Luce lives in San Francisco with his partner and collaborator, Mark, and their kitty, Luna. He can regularly be found either under a pile of drawing paper or at a local comics festival.

oaf-undies.jpg?width=150ed-luce-wuvable-oaf.jpg?width=150ed-luce---wuvable-oaf.jpg?width=1501936692388?profile=RESIZE_180x180I don't usually comment on this book, but those are two pretty striking covers!

ZOMBIES VS ROBOTS #5

1801560944?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801563540?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801526782?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writers: CHRIS RYALL, STEVE NILES

Art: ANTHONY DIECIDUE, VAL MAYERIK

Cover: ASHLEY WOOD

Subscription Variant: MARK TORRES

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

In “Inherit the Earth,” an attack on the Amazon island expands the war beyond zombies and robots, with two planets at stake! And in “The Orphan,” a new friendsh1936692529?profile=RESIZE_180x180ip is torn asunder...

1936694827?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936697045?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936698941?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936701067?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936703128?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• I've been reading the Manga Classics books, I picked up  Great Expectations last week. It's not bad - I haven't read the original (When I read any Dickens besides A Christmas Carol, I start remembering that he got paid by the word), but I thought the manga was reasonably well done.

• I've got a friend who'll absolutely flip for Wuvable Oaf. I'm sure he knows about it, but I'll mention it next time I talk to him, just the same. 

I read Flood years ago -- its completely wordless storytelling, impressively effective -- a expressionist take on a night of disaster. It really carries you along. 

• I kinda fell off the Marvel bandwagon when I heard about Secret Wars. It seems to me that nothing really "counts" until the post-Secret Wars titles re-establish a status quo, so why bother reading anything? But perhaps I've been hasty. Are the Hickman Avengers books worth reading anyway? I've read up to "Original Sin" -- should I go ahead and finish the runs of Avengers and New Avengers? What about Secret Avengers and Uncanny Avengers?

I can't speak to the other books, but Uncanny Avengers hasn't been worth reading since it morphed into Avengers/X-Men: AXIS and then returned as a new volume.  Go ahead and finish the first volume but don't bother with the next trade after that.  It's mostly a retcon explaining why Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are no longer Magneto's children (when we all know the reason is that the X-Men movies are run by a different company than the Avengers movies).  It also takes place on Counter-Earth which is one of those ideas that sounds cool but it is almost always insufferably boring. 

This seems like a pretty silly concept -- a one-armed earthman able to put one over on advanced alien cultures? -- but I haven't read "Original Sin" yet, so maybe the execution saves it.

Spoiler alert: the execution doesn't save it. 

I'm pretty sure all this material was originally published in Dark Horse comics. If that makes a difference to anyone.

It was and I have all of the volumes so I won't bother with these.  But I'm sure there are newer fans who will jump at the chance to collect the original series in any format. 

I'm betting her identity will turn out to be "a Thor from the future after our Thor is dead," or "Thor from a parallel universe," but I'm probably wrong.

You're wrong.  Her identity was revealed in issue #7, but I won't spoil it for you here. 

Is this series worth reading, boys and girls? Or should I just wait for Battleworld to hit the reset button?

Yes, the new Thor is worth buying and, more importantly, worth reading.  If you're worried about the longterm continuity implications with Secret Wars around the corner, you can always content yourself by thinking of this as a really good mini-series.  I especially appreciate the interaction between Odinson (can't call him Thor anymore, can we?) and his mother.  They make for interesting allies. 

• Thanks Chris!

This reply was deleted.