Comics Guide for Nov. 20, 2013

Welcome to another Comics Guide, with your humble Captain as your guide, historian and court jester. Let's start, as usual, with the books the publishers have been pushing with PR and previews:

PUBLISHER PICKS

AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE #2

Script: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Art: Francesco Francavilla, Jack Morelli

Cover: Francesco Francavilla

Bowtie Variant Cover: Tim Seeley

On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: 11/6

32-page, full color comic

$2.99 US.

NEW ONGOING SERIES! The end of the world is here. The horror continues as a zombified Jughead goes on a relentless hunt for brains in this shocking new series by Harvey Award-winning comic/screenwriter Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Stephen King’s Carrie, Archie meets Glee) and Eisner-winning artist Francesco Francavilla (Batman, Black Beetle). When he performs a despicable and frightening act in front of everyone at the Halloween dance, tensions start to rise and fears begin to mount—who will be next to join Jughead in the Afterlife? And what about those who are already infected? Be warned, kiddies, this one’s not for the faint of heart!

Who will make it out of Riverdale alive and who will be the next victim of the zombie contagion? You don't want to miss a second as the horrors continue to multiply in the hit ongoing series Afterlife With Archie. 

Afterlife With Archie, the most anticipated new horror series of 2013, is exclusively available at your local comic shop and digitally on the Afterlife With Archie App.

If this looks familiar, it's because I've already run it before, because I thought the second issue was coming out at the same time as the second printing of the first issue, two weeks ago. Mea culpa. But it's still awesome, so here it is again. Especially since it looks like Cheryl Blossom's obnoxious brother is heading for a bad end.

Frankly, I can't wait for the first trade!

AVENGERS #23

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art & Cover by LEINIL YU

INFINITY TIE-IN – “AVENGERS UNIVERSE: VI”

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

• The Avengers versus the Black Order.

• The battle for Earth moves planetside.

• Thanos takes center stage.

The Marvel Universe stands on the brink of destruction! From the blockbuster creative team of Jonathan Hickman and Leinil Yu, the tide is turning as the Avengers make their final stand against the Builders. But as the fight makes its way back to Earth, our heroes are met only with more destruction and ruin! Thanos, the Mad Titan, stands triumphant atop the place they once called home! But to get to him, they must first dispatch his sinister lieutenants. It’s the fight you’ve been waiting for – the Avengers vs. the Black Order! Don’t miss one heart-stopping moment as Infinity races toward its epic conclusion in the pages of Avengers #23 this November!

Every issue of Avengers #23 includes a code for a free digital copy of that same comic on the Marvel Comics app for iOS and Android devices. Additionally, each issue of Avengers #23 features special augmented reality content available exclusive through the Marvel AR app – including cover recaps, behind the scenes features and more that add value to your reading experience at no additional cost.

Join the conversation on Twitter with hash tag #MarvelINFINITY, and don’t forget to follow us at @Marvel [www.twitter.com/Marvel]!

For more on Marvel’s Infinity, please visit www.marvel.com.

I can't discuss the information above, so you'll have to read it for yourself. I trade-wait Avengers AND I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Now, here's a preview of some people fighting some other people:

BLOODSHOT AND H.A.R.D. CORPS #16

Written by CHRISTOS GAGE & JOSHUA DYSART

Art by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

Cover by PATRICK ZIRCHER

Variant Cover by CHRISCROSS

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

Valiant is proud to present an advance preview of Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps #16 from the all-star creative team of co-writers Christos Gage (Superior Spider-Man) and Joshua Dysart (Harbinger Wars) and artist Emanuela Lupacchino (X-Factor)!

H.A.R.D. Corps has just experienced its first fatality, Bloodshot is severely weakened, and the new rookies are a mess. It would be suicide to take on Toyo Harada and the combined might of the Harbinger Foundation now … so that’s exactly what Bloodshot and his new team of paramilitary superhumans are going to do.

The acclaimed series that Uproxx calls "a perfect read for action fans" dives right back in the deep end, only in Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps #16!

For more information on Bloodshot and the rest of the Valiant Universe, visit Valiant on Facebook, on Twitter, and at ValiantUniverse.com.

I just re-read the last few issues, and this series really works.

I wouldn't have thought so, if you'd just given me a capsule description. I'm not big on gung-ho militarism, but I'm also tired of the government always being the bad guy -- and this series has aspects of both. This series also pits two not-so-nice organizations against each other -- one governmental, another a sort of Xavier school gone wrong -- which would normally also be a problem, given that it gives the reader no team to root for.

But where it works is that both Bloodshot and the leader of the newly introduced H.A.R.D. Corps both seem to be decent men attempting to navigate through the various levels of wrong. That's who the reader is given to root for, and good characterization by Gage and Dysart makes it easy to do so.

Also, it's worth mention that it's rare when writers can introduce a whole new team of characters all at once without an obvious dud or redshirt. But the writers managed that with this new H.A.R.D. Corps -- who also have some limits built in that the previous iteration (in the original Valiant) failed to do.

The artwork is top-flight as well. But the story may not appeal to everyone, so take a look at the following previews and see what you think.

DAREDEVIL #33

Storytelling by MARK WAID & CHRIS SAMNEE

Pencils & ink by JASON COPLAND

Cover by CHRIS SAMNEE

32 PGS./Rated T …$2.99

“Monsters Stink!”

Daredevil finds himself wrapped up in an adventure that will send his life spiraling out of control as we head into next year’s 50th Anniversary … and the end of everything Matt Murdock holds dear!

Matt battles for survival against supernatural foes unlike any other in the terrifying Daredevil #33! From the award-winning creative team of Mark Waid and Chris Samnee comes one of the strangest Daredevil tales yet! The Man Without Fear’s quest to end the Sons of the Serpent organization has put him in the undead clutches of the ghastly Legion of Monsters! Now, Daredevil must battle against Zombies, Werewolves, Mummies and even the Daughter of Satan! Not to mention the Sons of the Serpent themselves! With these frightening foes closing in, is it possible the Man Without Fear might just be afraid of something after all? Don’t miss the shocking Daredevil #33 for the answer!

I find the Legion of Monsters to be mostly boring -- going all the way back to the 1970s, when the name was just an umbrella title for a bunch of different boring series -- and I shouldn't have enjoyed it much when they came on the DD scene last issue. But -- as usual -- Waid's dialogue had me laughing and engaged, and the retro art had me grinning as well. So I'm looking forward to this book, as usual. Which I'm sure will be excellent, as usual.

What isn't usual is that I've heard this book will end with issue #36. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm grateful that it existed -- if nothing else, to show everyone else how it's done.

And here are the requisite preview pages:

INFINITY #6 (of 6)

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art by JIM CHEUNG

Cover by ADAM KUBERT

Variant Covers by Skottie Young, Jerome Opeña, In-Hyuk Lee, & Terry Dodson Also Available

56 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

Don’t miss the heart-stopping conclusion to the biggest comic event of the year!

It’s all come down to this! Marvel is proud to present your first look at Infinity #6 – the final epic chapter in the blockbuster comic event of the year, brought to you by the star-studded creative team of Jonathan Hickman and Jim Cheung! Earth isn’t the only “Avengers World” anymore! Races from all across the galaxy now stand united in an Avengers Universe! Only with their combined might can Earth’s Mightiest Heroes make their final stand against the destructive alien race known as the Builders.

Now, as the Avengers’ astronomic altercation to save an entire universe draws to its epic conclusion, the greatest threat has arrived at their own front door! Earth has been laid siege by Thanos, the galaxy’s most ruthless marauder. The Avengers have returned home to their foremost fear – a broken and destroyed planet. Attilan lays in ruins as Thanos makes his final play to capture his wayward son Thane. But what will remain of Earth once he catches his prey?

"Will the Avengers cavalry arrive in time to save Earth? And indeed, what will be left on Earth to save?" says Marvel Comics Editor In Chief Axel Alonso. "We promised an epic ending, and we're going to deliver one — along with an eye-popping epilogue that'll have readers buzzing about the future of the Marvel Universe."

This is the one you’ve been waiting for! All-out war between the heroes of Earth and the forces of Thanos – and the results will send shock waves through the Marvel Universe for years to come! Don’t miss the cataclysmic conclusion to what’s been called “Marvel’s strongest event series in years” when Infinity #6 hits this November!

Every issue of Infinity includes a code for a free digital copy of that same comic on the Marvel Comics app for iOS and Android devices. Additionally, each issue of Infinity features special augmented reality content available exclusive through the Marvel AR app – including cover recaps, behind the scenes features and more that add value to your reading experience at no additional cost.

The Biggest Heroes. The Biggest Threats. The Biggest Sacrifices. This is Marvel’s INFINITY.

For more on Marvel’s Infinity, please visit www.marvel.com. Join the conversation on Twitter with hashtag #MarvelINFINITY and don’t forget to follow us at @Marvel [www.twitter.com/Marvel]!

STILL NOT LISTENING LA LA LA but, ooh, it does sound cool. Gah! I AM listening! Doggone it!

Now here are the preview pages:

NOVA #10

Written by ZEB WELLS & GERRY DUGGAN

Art by CARLO BARBERI & PACO MEDINA

Cover by ED MCGUINNESS

Variant Covers by SAL BUSCEMA, J.G. JONES, & PHIL JIMENEZ

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Variant Also Available

48 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

“Nova is a dynamic entrée for those looking to cruise Marvel’s spaceways” – Newsarama.com

This November, celebrate the milestone 100th Issue Anniversary of the Human Rocket with the supersonically supersized Nova #10! High adventure in deep space from the team of Zeb Wells & Carlo Barberi. But that’s not all! Nova #10 also features the debut of new regular Nova writer Gerry Duggan (Deadpool) in a story drawn by superstar Nova artist Paco Medina!!

Since acquiring the Nova Force it’s been a bumpy ride for fifteen year-old Sam Alexander! Fighting alongside Rocket Raccoon & Gamora, a not-so-nice encounter with the Superior Spider-Man – not to mention a run-in with Thanos and his Black Order! But that’s all about to change! Big changes are coming for Nova, and it starts here! (Oh, and did we mention a guest appearance by the new New Warriors setting up their All-New Marvel Now! series in February?)

“It took us a few decades to get to #100 and Zeb’s wrap up along with Gerry’s explosive debut story is a perfect way to celebrate this well-earned anniversary,” says Senior Editor Stephen Wacker. “With the Nova Corps showing up in next summer’s Guardians of the Galaxy movie, Marvel’s coolest new hero is going to have a huge spotlight and this is the place where Nova blasts off big time!”

Don’t miss the start of a bombastic new beginning for Marvel’s sentinel of the stars!

I'm curious: Did Nova become Sam Alexander in the comics first, or on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon first? Not that it matters, since I don't read Nova. But if anybody knows, I'd be glad to hear the answer.

Now, back to the previews:

X-O MANOWAR #19

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by CARY NORD

Cover by CLAYTON CRAIN

Pullbox Exclusive Variant by MIGUEL SEPULVEDA

Variant Cover by BART SEARS

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

Valiant is proud to present the first look at Eisner Award-winning artist Cary Nord's fully rendered interior art for X-O Manowar #19 – the FIRST ISSUE of an all-new, standalone story arc at the heart of UNITY! Be here as Nord reunites with New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (Green Lantern) for a brand new entry point into the year's can't-miss comic book event!

Exploding out of the pages of UNITY #1, start reading here as X-O Manowar goes head-to-head against the united forces of Valiant's first-ever super team! Aric of Dacia has fought to reclaim the ancestral lands of the Visigoths – and he has bled for it. But nothing he has faced before can prepare him for the combined might of UNITY – and the deadly combination of Toyo Harada, Ninjak, Eternal Warrior and Livewire!

To kill a king, they created an army – but X-O Manowar isn't going down without a fight! Acclaimed creators Robert Venditti and Cary Nord launch the man behind the armor into his deadliest, most formidable challenge yet, right here in X-O Manowar #19!

For more information on UNITY and the rest of the Valiant Universe, visit Valiant on Facebook, on Twitter and at ValiantUniverse.com.

That's Ninjak in the preview below.

You see, X-O Manowar has reclaimed ancient Dacia for the people he's rescued from The Vine. Problem is, that's part of modern-day Romania. That upsets both the Russians and N.A.T.O. Not to mention the world's greatest power, Toyo Harada.

And now Cary Nord, who did so well on Dark Horse's Conan the Barbarian, has taken on the art chores, and even upped his already formidable game, as you can see below.

I'm more than a little impressed. This is a far cry from the grunting barbarian in a suit of armor that was the first Valiant series. Good stuff.

X-MEN #7

Written by BRIAN WOOD

Art & Cover by TERRY DODSON

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

The six-part Muertas arc kicks off in X-Men #7 with the return of one of the X-Men’s deadliest foes – Lady Deathstrike, from the blockbuster creative team of Brian Wood and Terry Dodson. As the X-Men regroup following the catastrophic events of Battle of the Atom, a new threat closes in from the shadows and a new member joins the X-Men! Lady Deathstrike is back, and she’s assembling an all-new Sisterhood of Mutants to take them down! It’s going to take everything they’ve got to stop them – including new arrival and fan-favorite X-Factor alum Monet! Can these bruised and broken mutants pull it together long enough to repel this new threat? Find out as Muertas kicks off in X-Men #7! This is one X-Fans won’t want to miss!

I'm trade-waiting "Battle of the Atom" too, so I don't know what it did to the X-folks, if anything. This takes place after BotA, and I'm guessing some characters will no longer be around. The cover, of course, gives no clue.

I will say that I have always disliked Lady Deathstrike, as a character both implausible and goofy-looking. (Seriously, how does she scratch her nose? Operate a remote control? Use a computer mouse? Drive? Tie her shoes? Wipe her, uh, mouth?) But I will say this: The Dia de los Muertas mask is awesome looking, so they've fixed a little of what I don't like about her.

But Marvel can't be too proud of Deathstrike's new look, because they only gave us these two measly preview page!

SECOND PRINTINGS

VELVET #1

(W) Ed Brubaker (A) Steve Epting, Bettie Breitweiser (CA) Steve Epting

$3.50

When the world's best secret agent is killed, Velvet Templeton, the Personal Assistant to the Director of the Agency, is drawn off her desk and back into the field for the first time in nearly 20 years ... and is immediately caught in a web of mystery, murder and high-octane action.

Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting, the award-winning and bestselling team behind the smash-hit Captain America: The Death of Captain America and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, have reunited at Image Comics on VELVET, a hard-hitting espionage comic set during the height of the Cold War and international gamesmanship.

Sexy and provocative, with a dark twist on the spy genre, this EXTRA-LENGTH first issue by two of the industry's best-selling creators will knock you out!

The fans have already spoken about this highly-anticipated reunion between Epting and Brubaker, and the press shares their enthusiasm:

"An intoxicating debut, Velvet is required reading for anyone with a fondness for cheap spy novels and period-piece espionage; for everyone comfortable at the dark end of the street." -- John Parker, ComicsAlliance

Velvet #1 is Ed Brubaker doing what he does best: dark, thrillers with a noir vibe. With the help of his Captain America and Winter Soldier artist Steve Epting, Velvet is poised to be a fantastic new book” -- Kelly Thompson, Comic Book Resources

"Velvet truly does feel like both of these guys at the top of their game doing a series perfectly crafted to each of their artistic strengths." -- Ian Stephen, All-Comic

"Brubaker and Epting have shown us time and time again that they make a fantastic team–you’ve likely seen their excellent Captain America work–but this is truly something else." -- Matt LeMaire, The MacGuffin

"Steve Epting's art here is evidence why I'm so fond of him as an artist. He jumps right in and captures the feel of the time period perfectly. Combined with Elizabeth Breitweiser's colors, this book is a visual feast." -- Tony Guerrero, ComicVine

"A brilliant start to a series I am over the moon to see on the stands, Velvet #1 is yet another masterpiece waiting to happen from the hands of Brubaker and Epting." -- Matthew Santori-Griffith, Comicosity

This is one of the best books I've read since I discovered my first James Bond novel in the mid-1960s. Same vibe, same fun. And by the same people who brought Bucky Barnes back from the dead after 40 years, and made me like it.

Get this book now.

GHOSTED #4

Murder. Lies. Betrayal. Winters' team of paranormal experts has only scratched the surface of the Trask Mansion's horrors. After a ritual gone wrong, are they the next to be added to its gruesome history?

$2.99

Four sell-outs in a row is no easy feat, but Joshua Williamson and Goran Sudzuka have achieved it with the release of GHOSTED #4, the latest series from Robert Kirkman's Skybound imprint to sell out at the distributor level. Williamson and Sudzuka have crafted a supernatural heist comic that readers simply can't get enough of, and a quadruple sell-out is proof positive of that fact.

The press are very impressed with GHOSTED, as well:

"Ghosted is a horror/caper story that goes beyond its concept to entertain, surprise, and humor you. I never know where it’s going next and that’s what I love about it so much." -- Joshua Yehl, IGN

"Williamson continues to craft an intriguing series that is not afraid to take chances and Sudzuka’s art is so perfectly fitting to the book." -- Jreemy Matcho, All-Comic

"Joshua Williamson continues to impress me with this series. It takes a steady hand to craft a horror story that not only feels original, but pays homage to what came before it and Ghosted pulls it off beautifully." -- Jake Tanner, Following The Nerd

"Sudzuka’s art continues to do a wonderful job of capturing every dark and frightening corner and aspect of the mysterious Trask mansion, making even empty rooms feel as though they could incite fear and panic." -- Matt LeMaire, The MacGuffin

More good stuff. You might remember artist Gordon Sudzuka from stints on Hellblazer (and spin-offs) and Y: The Last Man. I like his work, and he's in good form here.

But the story's the thing, as a famous writer once said, and this is a good one. It's a genre mash-up, combining a haunted-house story with the crime caper. Think Ocean's 11 meets Ghost Hunters and you'd be pretty close.

Twists, turns, double-crosses and ghosts. For Pete's sake, buy it already, so they'll make more for me!

DARK HORSE

#1 for $1: STAR WARS -- LEGACY

Corinna Bechko (W), Gabriel Hardman (W/A),Rachelle Rosenberg (C), and Dave Wilkins (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $1.00

One-shot

Read the first chapter in the saga of Ania Solo—Han and Leia’s great-great-granddaughter—for only $1! She’s just a girl trying to make her way in the galaxy, who comes into possession of a lightsaber and an Imperial communications droid—and discovers she has been targeted for death!

• The trade-paperback collection, Prisoner of the Floating World, is on sale now!

• In the aftermath of Legacy: War, this is what’s next!

I have the entire run of the last Star Wars Legacy, and I see no reason to buy another one, since the last one was written by John Ostrander and I don't see how anything can improve on that.

If you're a Star Wars fan, feel free to explain to me why this is a stupid opinion and I should buy this one. Operators are standing by!

BALTIMORE VOLUME 3: A PASSING STRANGER AND OTHER STORIES HC

Mike Mignola And Christopher Golden’s New York Times bestseller!

Mike Mignola (W/Cover), Christopher Golden (W), Ben Stenbeck (A), and Dave Stewart (C)

FC, 152 pages, $24.99

HC, 7” x 10”

Eisner Award–winning horror master Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden present tales featuring the world’s greatest vampire hunter on a quest for vengeance across a world overrun by monsters. A demented surgeon attempts to cure vampirism by creating greater horrors, and a perverse inquisitor reveals his own dark secrets, as Baltimore pursues the scarred vampire that he blames for all of it.

• Epic vampire horror adventure from Hellboy creator Mike Mignola!

Still excellent. Still recommended.

BERSERK VOLUME 37 TP

“The Godfather of all fantasy manga.” —anime planet

Kentaro Miura (W/A)

b&w, 232 pages, $14.99

TP, 5 1/8" x 7 1/4"

Guts the Black Swordsman has again donned the accursed Berserker armor to battle the titanic Sea God—from the inside! To slay the creature, its heart must be pierced, but even if he can manage this impossible task deep within the leviathan, how will Guts get back out

• Inspired the popular anime series that includes twenty-five television episodes and two feature films.

• Over 500,000 copies of Dark Horse Berserk volumes in print.

Berserk is as shocking and unique as ever this far into the series. There are few titles out there that can sustain the level of intensity and relevance as this.” – Anime On DVD

This doesn't appear to be the sort of manga I like, but I'm willing to be ejjumicated.

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH #113

“The writing and the art are stellar, making this a top notch entry into the B.P.R.D. canon.”–Bloody Disgusting

Mike Mignola (W), John Arcudi (W), Tyler Crook (A), Dave Stewart (C), and Rafael Albuquerque (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Ongoing

As Liz and a police squad ambush the mad doctor and his Moreau-like experiments, Fenix takes on a group of cultists and by killing their god!

• Art by Eisner winner Tyler Crook (The Sixth Gun).

• Liz is back!

Cover by Rafael Albuquerque (American Vampire)!

I trade-wait BPRD, so it's still a little something of a surprise to see Liz Sherman. Glad to see her, though -- she's a far more complex character in the comics than on the screen.

BRAIN BOY #3

This psychic agent knows EXACTLY what you’re thinking!

Fred Van Lente (W), R. B. Silva (P), Rob Lean (I), Ego (C), and Ariel Olivetti (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $2.99

Ongoing

In a battle between two telepaths, any bystander is a potential ally . . . or a potential enemy! Matt Price, code name Brain Boy, must defeat a mad mental giant but he’ll have to survive a mob of mind-controlled New Yorkers to do it!

New York Times best selling author Fred Van Lente (Archer and Armstrong, G.I. Joe).

“…entertaining psychic warfare.”–The Trades

Hey, Dark Horse, can you read my mind? It says send me a review copy, because I'm otherwise unlikely to pick this up.

BUZZKILL #3

HE’S FALLING DOWN THE TWELVE STEPS!

Donny Cates (W), Mark Reznicek (W), Geoff Shaw (A/Cover), and Lauren Affe (C)

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

Ruben’s new AA sponsor, the mystical-burnout teleporter Dr. Blaqk, has him acknowledging his past errors, apologizing to his fellow superheroes on their moon base, and facing his angry ex-girlfriend. But after a shocking betrayal sends the booze-fueled hero literally over the edge, a demon from his past bursts onto the scene.

• Featuring Discharge, the superhero with the worst name!

• Cowritten by Toadies drummer Mark Reznicek!

• Geoff Shaw’s kinetic art perfectly suits this gritty tale!

I'm just not into bounty hunters. They're so ... mercenary. Anybody can do dirty work for a buck, so that doesn't impress me. It takes character to do things for the right reasons -- as opposed to money -- so I gravitate to that. Call me a starry-eyed optimist if you like, but that's my starting point.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN #22

Brian Wood (W), Riccardo Burchielli (A), Dave Stewart (C), and Massimo Carnevale (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Ongoing

“The Song of Bêlit” brings Brian Wood's critically acclaimed epic adaptation of “Queen of the Black Coast” to a conclusion, as Conan and Bêlit sail up the black waters of the river Death . . . and into the horror that awaits them!

• From Brian Wood (Star Wars, The Massive) and Paul Azaceta (Amazing Spider-Man, B.P.R.D.).

• Wood’s hard-hitting take on the Cimmerian is winning scores of new readers!

I'm starting to talk myself into buying the DH Conan Omniboo. This is just classy stuff.

DARK HORSE PRESENTS #30

Eisner and Harvey Award Winner!

Fred Van Lente (W), Jamie S. Rich (W), David Lapham (W/A), Mike Baron (W), Caitlín R. Kiernan (W), Michael T. Gilbert (W/A), Chad Lambert (W), Steve Horton (W), Stan Sakai (W/A), Phil Stanford (W), Reilly Brown (A/Cover), Brent Schoonover (A), Steve Rude (A), Steve Lieber (A), Tom Williams (A), Ryan Cody (A), Patric Reynolds (A), and Jordie Bellaire (Cover)

FC, 80 pages, $7.99

Ongoing

Fred Van Lente and Reilly Brown tell the epic tale of Saint George . . . the dragon slayer! Sixties sci-fi meets a hard-boiled detective mystery in Jamie S. Rich and Brent Schoonover’s Integer City! Stan Sakai does action adventure with the return of Nilson Groundthumper! Phil Stanford’s City of Roses returns! The writer of Amala’s Blade, Steve Horton, introduces Monstrous with Ryan Cody! And a unique time-travel story from Chad Lambert and Tom Williams!

Plus, new installments of The Strain: The Fall, Mr. Monster, and Alabaster!

Featuring a story from the world of Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan’s The Strain: The Fall!

“Dark Horse’s prestigious anthology series . . . showcases emerging talent alongside some of the greatest writers, artists and cartoonists.” —Comics Alliance 

FIVE NEW STORIES BEGIN IN THIS ISSUE!

THE FIFTH BEATLE: THE BRIAN EPSTEIN STORY HC, COLLECTOR'S EDITION HC, AND LIMITED EDITION HC

“If anyone was The Fifth Beatle, it was Brian.” —Paul McCartney

Vivek J. Tiwary (W), Andrew C. Robinson (A/C/Cover), and Kyle Baker (A/C)

FC, 144 pages, $19.99

HC, 8" x 12 3/16"

Collector’s Ed. HC, 8" x 12 3/16"

FC, 168 pages, $49.99

Limited Ed. HC, 8" x 12 3/16"

FC, 168 pages, $99.99

The Fifth Beatle is the untold true story of Brian Epstein, the visionary manager who discovered and guided the Beatles to unprecedented international stardom—yet died painfully lonely at the young age of thirty-two. More than merely the story of “The Man Who Made the Beatles,” The Fifth Beatle is an uplifting, tragic, and ultimately inspirational human story about the desire to leave behind a legacy, amidst the struggle to overcome crushing personal obstacles and insurmountable odds.

• Features a special section paying homage to the 1960s Beatles cartoons, lovingly drawn by multiple Eisner and Harvey Award-winning cartoonist Kyle Baker (Why I Hate Saturn, Plastic Man, Nat Turner).

• Collector’s edition features a textured cover and a section of bonus material, and Beatles memorabilia.

• The limited-edition hardcover features a gorgeous slipcase design, bonus material, and will be signed by the creative team.

I'm surprised DH hasn't pushed this harder. Maybe they have in non-comics fora. But I have heard very little, so I'm a little suspicious -- and less interested than a lifelong Beatles fan ought to be. (And when a guy MY age says "lifelong," that's saying something!)

KISS ME SATAN #3

(W) Victor Gischler (A) Juan Ferreyra (CA) Dave Johnson, Juan Ferreyra

After a bloody zombie battle, a dying witch tells Barnabus Black to cut out her eye. If it's still in her head when she dies, all her knowledge of the occult will be lost forever. Now for the hard part: Who gets the eye?

$3.99

This is such a joyful, in-your-eye title that I'm probably going to get the trade. Can anyone recommend it?

LAST MAN STANDING: KILLBOOK -- BOUNTY HUNTER HC

A new printing of one of the most highly sought-after books ever!

Dan LuVisi (W/A/Cover)

FC, 272 pages, $59.99

HC, 15” x 12 1/4”

Meet Gabriel—last of a genetically engineered breed of supersoldiers known as the Paladin. After winning an interstellar war, he is celebrated back home and given the title of Protector of Amerika. As Gabriel is distracted by his duties, a terrorist organization known as Pandemonium frames the hero. Stripped of his title and prestige, Gabriel is sentenced to the notorious Level-9 facility, where he endures nine years of torture. But as the clock ticks down to Gabriel’s eventual demise, he is introduced to Agent O, who offers the Paladin a chance at redemption. Learn his story—and that of his allies and enemies—as he begins to orchestrate his revenge.

Killbook, is a scrapbook-style character bible and prologue book for the series.

• Optioned by Paramount Pictures.

• Includes 30 pages of all-new material and a new cover.

Delayed from last week.  Aimed at players of the videogame? I don't see any reason for anyone else to but it.

MAGNUS, ROBOT FIGHTER 4000 A. D. ARCHIVES VOLUME 2 TP

Russ Manning (W/A), Robert Schaefer (W), Eric Freiwald (W), Herb Castle (W), Don Christensen (W), and Mike Royer (A)

FC, 200 pages, $19.99

TP, 7" x 10"

In the year 4000, only one man has the power to defeat the robots that threaten mankind with slavery! Russ Manning, famous for the Tarzan and Star Wars newspaper strips, delivers a “Tarzan of the Future.” Collects issues #8-14, with a new foreword by Steve Rude!

• Hard-to-find classic sci-fi, finally collected in paperback!

OK, the stories weren't great shakes. But the Russ Manning art is delicious. If you don't already have this in HC, as I do, it's worth a look.

OH MY GODDESS! VOLUME 45 TP

America’s longest-running manga series!

Kosuke Fujishima (W/A)

b&w, 176 pages, $12.99

TP, 5 1/8” x 7 3/16”

Oh My Goddess! is back . . . and so is Mistress Hild, who intends to get the truth out of Hagal about the reasons behind her coup. But the demon usurper isn't the only person who's been less than forthcoming about things, and now Belldandy and Keiichi must face judgment on their love . . . by a goddess who can claim seniority over all the sisters!

• Inspired the Ah! My Goddess anime TV series, available from Funimation.

• Each volume contains fan art, letters, and commentary from the creator.

I feel a little embarrassed that I know nothing about a series that has hit 45 volumes in the U.S. But the art is in a manga style I don't care for, so I've always assumed the story is in a manga genre I don't care for. Anybody got any comment?

SO ... I SURVIVED THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS PODCAST TP

If you can’t join ‘em, kill ‘em!!

Chris W. Freeman (W), Korey Hunt (W), Richard Bonk (A), Andrew Mangum (A), Alan Kupperberg (A), Anthony Diecidue (A), Jerry Beck (A), Thomas Chu (C), and Melike Acar (Cover)

FC, 72 pages, $9.99

TP, 6” x 9”

In a lonely compound surrounded by the zombie apocalypse, one girl remains unchanged. A slight garden mishap means a supply run to the outside where she makes a life-changing discovery—the zombies only eat males. Now Mara Mitchell is on a mission: make friends with the undead, or kill them all.

• Perfect for zombie fans!

If you're invulnerable in the zombie apocalypse, that changes everything, doesn't it? In fact, it's not an apocalypse at all, if you're female. You just get to arrange a world where men do what you want. That's an entirely different story, but not one I'm opposed to reading. Besides, I already do whatever the women in my life want me to do. At least currently the undead aren't trying to eat me ... yet.

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER NINTH ASSASSIN HC

(W) Tim Siedell (A) Stephen Thompson & Various (CA) Ariel Olivetti, Michael Atiyeh

A ninth assassin-more deadly than the eight who came before-has been hired to murder Darth Vader. Elsewhere, another threat to the Empire has made itself known, and will take Vader on a hunt for an ancient evil . . . All the while, the ninth assassin lurks, waiting for the perfect moment to strike! Collects the five-issue miniseries.

$24.99

I should enlist Chris Fluit to advise me on the Star Wars books. I stopped buying them when DH ended Legacy, Tales and the others and re-launched them. So I know nothing about them, and can't advise.

STAR WARS: DAWN OF THE JEDI FORCE WAR #1

(W) John Ostrander (A) Dan Parsons, Jan Duursema (CA) Wes Dziboa, David Michael Beck

The fearsome Rakata have invaded the Tython system, and war rages on every world. With Forcesabers in hand, the Je'daii have aligned themselves with unlikely generals: Daegen Lok, the mad Je'daii, and the stranger, the Force Hound Xesh-one the devil they know, the other the wild card they don't!

The battle that will decide the future of the Jedi!

John Ostrander and Jan Duursema pull out all the stops!

$3.99

See above.

STAR WARS: LEGACY VOLUME II BOOK 1 -- PRISONER OF THE FLOATING WORLD TP

Corinna Bechko (W), Gabriel Hardman (W/A), Rachelle Rosenberg (C), and Dave Wilkins (Cover)

FC, 144 pages, $19.99

TP, 7” x 10”

Ania Solo is just a girl trying to make her way in the galaxy—and have a little adventure along the way! But when she stumbles upon a broken communications droid and a missing lightsaber, a little adventure turns into a whole lot of trouble . . . for Ania and her friends! Collects Star Wars: Legacy #1–#5—Prisoner of the Floating World.

• The opening chapter in the Legacy saga!

"You’ve got betrayal, action, power struggles, epic lightsaber fights and political turmoil. You should pick it up and enjoy the journey as much as I did."

—Bleeding Cool

And once again. I swear, I'm getting Chris all up in here next time!

STRAIN THE FALL #5

(W) David Lapham (A) Mike Huddleston (CA) Dan Jackson, E.M. Gist

Sure that an ancient tome, the Occido Lumen, holds the secret to defeating the Master, Fet and Setrakian head to the auction house for a different kind of battle. Meanwhile, Eph, sure of a conspiracy surrounding the vampire epidemic, mounts a secret mission to assassinate the wealthy and ailing Eldritch Palmer!

The next chapter in The Strain Trilogy, by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan!

Soon to be a TV show on FX!

"I've got to say that they've created the vilest, most revolting looking vampires I've ever seen."-Geeks of Doom

$3.99

I bought and read everything Lapham did for years -- Stray Bullets, Murder Me Dead, you name it. At first his artful, non-linear stories seemed really engaging, like if I worked hard enough I'd see the REAL story underneath the sorta-story I was reading. But eventually I decided his books were WYSIWYG, which meant they really were kinda shallow and written by the seat of the pants, and I lost interest. I'm open to argument, though, in case I've just been obtuse.

Anyway, I'm not reading this, and unlikely to, unless someone talks me into it.

VIOLENT CASES HC

Multi-award-winning collaborators Gaiman & McKean!

Neil Gaiman (W) and Dave McKean (A/Cover)

FC, 64 pages, $24.99

HC, 8 1/2” x 11 1/2”

In this exploration of the trappings of violence and the failings of memory, a narrator tells of his childhood encounters with a doctor who claims to have treated Al Capone. This collaboration between author Neil Gaiman and artist Dave McKean is offered in a hardcover format with an expanded art section.

• Introductions by Alan Moore, Paul Gravett, and Neil Gaiman!

Includes all-new colors and material from McKean.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• DC COMICS

100 BULLETS: BROTHER LONO #6

1936116138?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art by EDUARDO RISSO

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

32 pg, FC, 6 of 8, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

The action continues in the book IGN calls “Amazing. 100 BULLETS is back and just as great as you remember. Violent, dark, and beautiful; buy this book now.”

Of all the characters I read about in 100 Bullets, this is the absolute one I did NOT want to read about further. In fact, I wanted him dead, dead, dead. I guess others felt otherwise.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180ANIMAL MAN #25

1936116327?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art and cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Buddy Baker invades Hollywood to battle Brother Blood—and that’s before things get really weird!

It's kinda funny -- one of the things that turned me off to New Teen Titans early in its historic run was Brother Blood, a character I found stupid and unutterably boring. But Lemire has made him an incredibly interesting and dangerous character. Of course, he did so by jettisoning everything about the Marv Wolfman character and starting over with just the name.

I'm guessing my opinion isn't universal. But there it is.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180BATMAN ‘66 #5

1936116711?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JEFF PARKER

Art by RUBEN PROCOPIO and COLLEEN COOVER

Cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

1:25 Variant cover by DAVE JOHNSON

40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED E • DIGITAL FIRST

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Are the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder asleep on the job? No, they are under the spell of that sinister somnambulist, the Sandman. (No, not THAT one!) Is it bedtime for all of Gotham City? Will the Dynamic Duo wake up in time to put out his lights? Don’t miss this issue’s story illustrated by 2013 Eisner Award-winner Colleen Coover!

I've stopped reading this. Sorry. I find it charmless and redundant.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180BATMAN AND TWO FACE #25

1936116789?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Peter J. Tomasi (A) Patrick Gleason, Mick Gray (CA) Mick Gray, Patrick Gleason

As Two-Face continues his rampage through Gotham City, more light is shed on his past. Who is Carrie Kelley and how can her mysterious connection to Harvey Dent help Batman?

$2.99

I have never, ever liked Two-Face. He's just a guy with guns, so Batman should take him down without breathing hard. Plus, his psychological problem isn't a boon in his criminal ways, like The Riddler or somebody, but is instead a burden -- someone ELSE should put a cap in his head, and he'd be too addled to see it coming. But here he is, year after year, not only returning for story after forgettable story, but somehow being a criminal mastermind, despite having too many minds to function efficiently.

Well, maybe this story -- No. 3,025 in a series -- will be the one to change my mind.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #4

1936116831?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by KYLE HIGGINS and

CHRISTOS N. GAGE

Art by THONY SILAS and IBAN COELLO

Cover by KHARY RANDOLPH

48 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

The Justice League makes a desperate move to save Superman from being trapped in the Phantom Zone forever. Don’t miss the shocking revelation in the final pages of this story arc! Meanwhile, in Batman Beyond, Rewire raises the stakes! Can anyone stand between this dastardly dynamo and the destruction of Neo-Gotham?

I'd love to see a really cool "Justice League of the Future" series. This isn't it.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180BATMAN: DETECTIVE COMICS VOL 3EMPEROR PENGUIN HC

1936117015?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) John Layman (A) Jason Fabok & Various (CA) Jason Fabok

The Dark Knight faces deadly foes including Poison Ivy, Clayface and the Penguin in these stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #13-18. This volume also includes chapters from the epic "Death of the Family" and "Requiem" sagas.

$24.99

I had the opportunity to read this before the Comics Guide this week, so I'm not speculating on this book: I've read it.

And I liked it!

The last HC ended with some flunky taking on the title of Emperor Penguin because Cobblepot was busy with The Joker's "Death of the Family" plot, and I thought that was kinda hard to swallow. Why would other gang leaders accept this guy as the new boss? What about Cobblepot, when he inevitably returned from "Death of the Family"? And how could this guy bollix up Batman the way The Penguin did for years, without any experience or infrastructure to do so? Sounded really implausible to me.

But, lo, this series of stories answers all these questions. Plus, it's got good art. Plus, putting Penguin on the defensive makes him a much more interesting character. In short: This is good Bat-stuff.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180BATMAN: DETECTIVE COMICS VOL. 2—SCARE TACTICS TP

1936117039?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by TONY S. DANIEL and JAMES TYNION IV

Art by TONY S. DANIEL, ED BENES, SZYMON KUDRANSKI, EDUARDO PANSICA, ROMANO MOLENAAR and PERE PEREZ

Cover by TONY S. DANIEL

232 pg, FC, $16.99 US

In this new collection of stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #8-12 and DETECTIVE COMICS ANNUAL #1, Batman must face the madness of the Mad Hatter, and then take on the Talons of the Court of Owls! But even if he survives that, he must face a whole new set of fears when the Scarecrow returns! Can the Dark Knight overcome the terror the Scarecrow brings?

If you're buying the book above, you can get by without reading this one. But why not get it anyway? It's pretty good.

1801214658?profile=RESIZE_180x180BATWOMAN #25

1936117175?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by J.H. WILLIAMS III and W. HADEN BLACKMAN

Art by TREVOR McCARTHY and JEREMY HAUN

Cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III

1:25 B&W Variant cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US RATED T+

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

The no-holds-barred battle between Batwoman and Batman threatens to kill them both!

My interest in this title has been dropping for a while. I'm two HCs behind already, and those books keep falling deeper and deeper into the Wall of Shame.* Frankly, it seems more and more to me that it's only being published so that DC brag about having a book headlined by a lesbian. I don't want to believe that, but it's what I currently believe, given how silly and implausible the narrative has become.

I'm perfectly willing to be talked out of that opinion. But you'll have to some talking!

* The Wall of Shame is the four or five stacks of books, usually about knee-high, that stand accusingly by the hearth when I come home from work, asking silently why I have not read them yet. I read them as fast as I can, but the Wall never gets smaller. Decisions about what to read first is usually a review in itself.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180BIRDS OF PREY #25

1936117364?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by CHRISTY MARX

Art by ROMANO MOLENAAR and JONATHAN GLAPION

Cover by JORGE MOLINA

40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

BLACK CANARY: ZERO YEAR?! Well, it’s definitely a BATMAN: ZERO YEAR tie-in issue as we look into a pivotal moment in Black Canary’s history! Don’t miss assassins, mystery men and an ancient evil in Gotham City!

I've never read a single issue of this, because I don't for a second believe the status quo of the new Black Canary, nor can I believe that anyone would join her team, nor do I believe the powers that be -- especially Batman -- would allow her team to exist for more than half an issue.

As CK always says, I can believe 10 impossible things before breakfast, but this book asks for 11.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180FABLES #135

1936119293?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936119472?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BILL WILLINGHAM

Art by MARK BUCKINGHAM and RUSS BRAUN

Cover by GREG RUTH

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

A new era is beginning for the Farm as knights begin to arrive from every corner of countless worlds. In the old version of Camelot, the brief shining moment was destroyed by infidelity, infighting and the evil machinations of the king’s sister. If Rose Red is the king this time, does that mean Snow White is the one destined to bring it all crashing down around them?

I have a sad that DC has announced this book will end at #150. But I guess Willingham wants to go out while riding high, and turn his attentions -- like most good DC writers these days -- to creator-owned efforts. I am hopeful that means the series will actually work as a long novel, since it doesn't have to be ongoing, and the writer can plot the whole structure. And, honestly, so far it's been tops.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180FAIREST IN ALL THE LAND HC

1936119575?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Bill Willingham (A) Chris Sprouse & Various (CA) Adam Hughes

In the grand tradition of FABLES: 1001 NIGHTS OF SNOWFALL, this original FAIREST graphic novel features short stories written by Bill Willingham, as told through the Magic Mirror! Featuring artwork by some the finest artists in comics, you won't want to miss it!

$22.99

I've read this one, too, and it was OK. But if you're not a regular reader of Fables, don't bother. This is for fans of the series, and doesn't work as a standalone for casual readers. In fact, that's why I think it's only "OK" and not something better -- it basically works as an exercise to work out some narrative plot snags in the regular series. And you'd better be up in the current status quo on all the major Fables characters before you begin (Bigby is supposedly dead, for example), or you'll be lost.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180FOREVER EVIL: ROGUES REBELLION #2

1936119721?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art by PATRICK ZIRCHER

Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

1:25 B&W Variant cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

32 pg, FC, 2 of 6, $2.99 US RATED T

Separated from their leader Captain Cold and trapped in Metropolis, the Rogues must fight for their lives against the Secret Society's secret weapon: the horrifying Parasite!

I love the concept that if alien villains tried to conquer our world, our local villains would fight back. It's like World War II, when many American gangsters fought the Bund, Nazis and saboteurs, because while they might have been crooks, they were Americans first! (And besides, those jokers were cutting into their turf!)

I think that's what would naturally happen, so I'm glad to see it play out. Fun!

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #25

1936126503?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JUSTIN JORDAN

Art by BRAD WALKER and DREW HENNESSY

Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

1:25 B&W Variant cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US RATED T

After the stunning end of “Lights Out,” where is Kyle Rayner?! Or...WHEN is Kyle Rayner? And more important, WHY is Kyle Rayner? Answers to all these questions and more as the series rockets off to the outer limits of the DC Universe!

Yawn. Oh, and Carol Ferris (who MUST be a decade older than Rayner) is now in love with Kyle. Right.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180HARLEY QUINN #0

1936126583?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by AMANDA CONNER and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by DARWYN COOKE, SAM KIETH, TONY S. DANIEL, PAUL POPE, WALTER SIMONSON, ART BALTAZAR and others

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

1:25 Variant cover by STEPHANE ROUX

“WE CAN BE HEROES” Blank variant cover also available

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.

This bombastic debut issue features art by award-winning illustrators including Darwyn Cooke, Sam Kieth, Tony S. Daniel, Paul Pope, Walter Simonson, Art Baltazar and others—but will any of them measure up to the exacting standards of the Clown Princess of Crime? Don’t miss the thrilling return of Harley Quinn in her own monthly series!

I haven't been following The New 52 Suicide Squad. Is there anything about the Kesel/Dodson version of the character left in the current one? Because I liked the Kesel/Dodson version a lot. Also the Bruce Timm version. Also the Mark Evanier version. I don't think any of those are left in the current version. Am I wrong, Suicide Squad readers?

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #8

1936127901?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by DAN ABNETT

Art by RAFAEL KAYANAN

Cover by JOE BENNETT

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

He-Man and a small team of Masters set off toward Mount Zoar to undertake King Randor’s desperate plan to free Eternia from the Horde Occupation.  

Not as stupid as it sounds. That's Dan Abnett writing this, folks!

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180MAD PRESENTS SPY VS. SPY FIGHT TO THE FINISH TP

1936128048?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A) Peter Kuper

This new Spy versus Spy collection fetures stories hand picked by The Usual Gang Of Idiots to provide maximum idiotic espionage

$9.99

Kuper is an interesting artist and social commentator in his own right. I wish he wasn't doing this, because "Spy vs. Spy" is -- or should be -- specifically the story, platform and opinions of Antonio Prohias. It's his story, and nobody else's. Now that he's dead, the strip should die with him, and exist only in endless reprints.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #25

1936129912?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JAMES TYNION IV

Art by JULIUS GOPEZ and RAY McCARTHY

Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and CAM SMITH

On sale NOVEMBER 20 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

A BATMAN: ZERO YEAR tie-in! There’s a dark force of nature that’s forming in Gotham City...A face laughing in the dark that will one day tear Jason Todd’s life apart. What are his plans for the Red Hood Gang? And who else will rise out of the shadows to guide Jason Todd one step closer to his destiny?

I still think the premise of this book is stupid, and the major characters unlikeable. Feel free to correct me, anyone.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP #1

1936129979?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by SHOLLY FISCH

Art and cover by DARIO BRIZUELA

On sale NOVEMBER 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

Rumors of a giant bat-creature bring Scooby and the gang on the run—but Batman and Robin are already on the trail of their old foe, the monstrous Man-Bat. Before long, the crooks behind a fake bat-creature will come face-to-face with the real thing…with the good guys caught in the middle! Don’t miss the start of this new, bimonthly miniseries!

Is there any reason -- or any plausible way -- for the Scooby gang to team up with anyone besides the "Super Friends" version of Batman? If not, what are they going to do next issue?

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERGIRL #25

1936130016?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by SCOTT LOBDELL and MICHAEL ALAN NELSON

Art by PAULO SIQUERIA

Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

On sale NOVEMBER 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

“KRYPTON RETURNS” continues as Supergirl faces the clone wars of Krypton. Just as she was starting to accept Superboy’s clone origins, she faces the horrible past of her home planet. And she must once again face H’El.

I haven't been following this series, because the first Supergirl TPB gave me a Maid of Steel who was a hostile, selfish brat. And where I've seen her since, she's been all of that again -- plus, when it comes to Superboy, a raging bigot. So, you know, I'm not inclined to follow her series.

Again, anyone who wants to correct my impression, feel free.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• TRINITY OF SIN: PANDORA #5

1936114565?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by RAY FAWKES

Art by FRANCIS PORTELA

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Following the shocking events of TRINITY WAR, Pandora can now physically harm the Seven Deadly Sins! But by going after Greed and Sloth at the same time, she may have bitten off more than she can chew. Plus: A surprising new player takes the stage, determined to end the immortal Pandora’s life!

Anyone who cares about this character, raise your hands.

*crickets*

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180VERTIGO ESSENTIALS FABLES #1

1936114700?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BILL WILLINGHAM

Art by LAN MEDINA and STEVE LEIALOHA

Cover by JAMES JEAN

On sale OCTOBER 23 • 64 pg, FC, $1.00 US • MATURE READERS

The first issue of Bill Willingham’s Eisner Award-winning series is reprinted in this new edition. Don’t miss the issue that introduced the Fables of legend into New York City—and asked the question “Who killed Rose Red?”

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE WAKE #5

1936114892?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by SCOTT SNYDER

Art and cover by SEAN MURPHY

1:25 Variant cover by JAE LEE

32 pg, FC, 5 of 10, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

There have been hints that Lee Archer’s struggle at the bottom of the ocean will have much, much bigger ramifications. A flooded future…an impact on evolution…and more.

Now, we finally find out. If you think you know what THE WAKE is about, this issue changes everything.

I never knew what The Wake was about. And now they're going to change what little I do know? Agh!

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180WONDER WOMAN #25

1936117041?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art by GORAN SUDZUKA

Cover by CLIFF CHIANG

1:25 B&W Variant cover by CLIFF CHIANG

There’s no time for Wonder Woman to fully comprehend the fallout from last issue’s shocking turn of events as her family gathers to prepare for an assault on Olympus!

I've always wanted to Chiang to do the interiors, because his art is so iconic. But Sudzuka isn't a bad choice!

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180WORLDS’ FINEST VOL. 2: HUNT AND BE HUNTED TP

1936117233?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by PAUL LEVITZ

Art by KEVIN MAGUIRE, GEORGE PEREZ, CLIFF RICHARDS, YILDIRAY CINAR, PHIL JIMENEZ, BARRY KITSON and others

Cover by BARRY KITSON

160 pg, FC, $14.99 US

Power Girl and Huntress continue to find links back to their home world in these tales from issues #6-12, but are derailed by mysterious attackers who have connections to Michael Holt, a.k.a. Mister Terrific. What could their old ally have to do with a group that wants them dead?

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180IDW PUBLISHING

BEN 10 #1

1936117428?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Jason Henderson (A/CA) Gordon Purcell

Who knew vacation could be this exciting? Ben Tennyson and his teammates kick off a maelstrom of action when an ocean cruise brings Ben in the cross hairs of Ssserpent, who's out to find a long-lost underwater society. But does Ben's new, slightly oddball love interest harbor dark secrets of her own? Aliens, superpowers, ships and swimsuits: the perfect ingredients for high-seas adventure.

$3.99

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180BEN 10 CLASSICS VOL 1: BEN HERE BEFORE TP

1936119522?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Man (A) Dario Brizuela, Dev Madan (CA) Ethen Beavers

The hit animated show that turned into a hit comic is now collected into trade paperback! Kicking off with the premiere story "Ole!" and also including "Fast Lane," "Fear Itself," "A Villain A Day," and many more, these TPBs present the Ben 10 comics from Cartoon Network Action Pack! in chronological order. It's the most concentrated dose of Ben 10 ever!

$17.99

If I was 8 or 10 years old, I bet I'd LOVE Ben 10, in both comics and cartoons.

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180DOCTOR WHO CLASSICS VOL 9 TP

1936122496?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Richard Starkings & Various (A) Doug Braithwaite & Various (CA) Matthew Dow Smith

The continued classic adventures of Doctor Who! Volume 9 of Doctor Who Classics contains stories like "Time and Tide," "Invaders from Gantac," and more!

$19.99

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180DOCTOR WHO: PRISONERS OF TIME #12

(W) David Tipton, Scott Tipton (A) Kelly Yates (CA) Francesco Francavilla, Dave Sim

Our yearlong celebration of Doctor Who's 50th anniversary concludes! All eleven Doctors must team up if there's any hope of defeating his latest and most surprising adversary! Everything has been leading up to this epic conclusion!

$3.99

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180JINNRISE #8

1936126428?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) David Liss (A/CA) Andrew Huerta

In an effort to the defeat the alien Kibrani, Andrew and his ragtag team continue their quest to assemble an army of Jinn (Genies). Imprisoned for centuries in China, two powerful Jinn may hold the key, but can they be released? Meanwhile, Kibrani Warrior Lahasad Brim will face his greatest test, and a team member's dark secret is revealed!

$3.99

I tire of ragtag teams. I'd like some well-tailored ones, please.

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180MAGIC THE GATHERING THEROS #1 2ND PTG

1936126627?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Jason Ciaramella (A) Martin Coccolo (CA) Eric Deschampes

From IDW Publishing. Second printing of the sold-out debut issue! Dack Fayden Returns! After eliminating Sifa Grent, the Planeswalker that destroyed his hometown, Dack has settled down in Ravnica to do what he does best: break in and steal the secrets from Ravnica's rarest artifacts. But upon uncovering the half of a strange gauntlet, Dack is led to a strange new plane: the realm of Theros, a sun-dappled world ruled by gods and inhabited by mythological beasts!

$4.99

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARS ATTACKS THE HUMAN CONDITION TP

1936126731?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A) Fred Hembeck & Various (CA) Nar!

Mars Attacks The Holidays and Mars Attacks: Classics Obliterated are collected into one volume by some of comics' most talented creators. Halloween, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas aren't safe from these alien invaders and neither are such literary classics as Moby Dick, Jekyll & Hyde, and Robinson Crusoe.

$17.99

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC #13

1936127968?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Heather Nuhfer (A) Brenda Hickey (CA) Brenda Hickey, Sara Richard

The ponies hit the high seas! A trip to Horeshoe Bay takes a turn for the dramatic when our gang is captured by Hoofbeard the Pirate! Will the ponies help him find his long lost treasure, or will they be walking the plank?

$3.99

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180MY LITTLE PONY MICRO FUN PACK

1936128105?profile=RESIZE_180x180Sized to fit in your pocket (3.75 x 5.75"), each My Little Pony Micro Pack Pack includes a complete, stand-alone, 22-page full-color comic story plus a fold-out poster/checklist, sticker sheet and stick-on tattoo. Each micro comic features a sparkle glitter card stock cover with heavy matte interior pages. Collect all four My Little Pony Micro Fun Packs including Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight Sparkle. Adding to the fun, each pony pack comes with one of sixteen different stickers, posters and tattoos so you can trade and share with your friends.

$71.76

Once again, this isn't all the MLP books available this week. I don't see the need to post them all, since most comics fans (the likely people reading this) don't care, and the youngsters who do care are buying all the MLP they want.

And good for them!

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAMURAI JACK #2

1936130253?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Jim Zub (A/CA) Andy Suriano

Jack can defeat almost any foe in single combat, but how will he fare against a pair of perfectly synchronized warriors who can exploit his every weakness? Cartoon Network's hit animated series is back at IDW and bigger than ever.

$3.99

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180TMNT NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES

1936131727?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Kenny Byerly (A) Adam Archer (CA) Dario Brizuela

It's danger on the high seas when Fishface attacks a ritzy cruise ship! And Fishface has just one thing on his mind-revenge! Will the Turtles be able to stop their slippery foe from achieving his goal? And when they find out what it is, will they even want to?

$3.99

I never thought about it before, but the TMNT would be extra-good underwater, wouldn't they?

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRANSFORMERS DARK CYBERTRON #1 DLX ED

1936133957?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) James Roberts, John Barber (A) Phil Jimenez & Various (CA) Phil Jimenez

THE DELUXE EXPERIENCE! This once-in-a-lifetime book includes every page of the regular edition, plus behind-the-scenes material! Phil Jimenez's layouts-including unused alternate versions-plus James Roberts and John Barber's original plot, designs by Andrew Griffith and more!

$7.99

I had a DARK DELUXE EXPERIENCE once. I'm saving it for my memoirs.

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRANSFORMERS MORE THAN MEETS EYE #23

1936136309?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) James Roberts, John Barber (A) James Raiz & Various (CA) Casey Coller

THE DEAD UNIVERSE! ORION PAX-the 'bot who was once OPTIMUS PRIME-joins RODIMUS and the crew of the Lost Light in a desperate bid to outmaneuver SHOCKWAVE-by returning to the legendary Dead Universe! Meanwhile, BUMBLEBEE faces down the biggest-literally biggest-threat he's ever seen on CYBERTRON!

$3.99

1801266372?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRUE BLOOD VOL 2: TAINTED LOVE TP

1936138610?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Marc Andreyko, Michael McMillian (A) Stephen Molnar, Joe Corroney (CA) J. Scott Campbell

A sweet gesture by Hoyt to surprise Jessica with the prom night she never had goes awry when Tru Blood served turns out to be part of a poisoned batch-and Jessica becomes its first victim! Sookie, Bill, and Eric race to track down the culprits responsible, and find it's all part of a nefarious plot. Now there are mere hours to locate Jessica... before the maddening effects of the tainted elixir drive her to the true death!

$14.99

My wife gave up on the TV series, and that tells me all I need to know.

• IMAGE COMICS

A VOICE IN THE DARK #1

1936114544?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story / art / cover LARIME TAYLOR

48 PAGES / BW / T+ / $3.99

“BLOOD MAKES NOISE”

It’s been 72 days since Zoey killed someone. With her recent move to college, Zoey is eager to start a fresh chapter of her life — one where she can control her dark urges the way she has before. But when she becomes the host of a late-night campus radio show, Zoey must consider if she has given a voice to something far more troubled than her anonymous callers.

I haven't read this. And my Google has a virus, so I can't look it up. Anyone have any info?

Monday update: Here are some preview pages:

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936116918?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936118819?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936121111?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936126460?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936126653?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936126772?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180

CLONE, VOL. 2 TP

1936126851?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story DAVID SCHULNER, AARON GINSBURG & WADE MCINTYRE

Art / cover JUAN JOSE RYP & ANDY TROY

128 PAGES / FC / T+

$12.99

Luke Taylor's true nature has been revealed, but his fight to rescue his wife and newborn daughter is just beginning. Now that Beta and the second generation of clones have been unleashed, can Luke survive against his younger, stronger, and more ruthless selves?

Collects CLONE #6-10

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936126886?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936128242?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936130023?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936131308?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936131439?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936133722?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE LAST CHRISTMAS HC

1936136181?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story GERRY DUGGAN & BRIAN POSEHN

Art RICK REMENDER, HILARY BARTA & MICHELLE MADSEN

Cover GEOF DARROW

176 PAGES / FC / T+ / $24.99

The writers behind the hit series Deadpool present the sad, funny, and true story of Santa Claus after the apocalypse. After tragedy strikes the North Pole, Santa turns his back on humanity and gives up on Christmas. Even though the world has been completely overrun by naughty men, there's still one boy that believes in Santa. But could that be the biggest mistake of his life?

Enjoy this modern action-comedy Christmas classic in hardcover for the first time. It's illustrated with love by comic star RICK REMENDER and inked in a wonderful style reminiscent of Mad magazine by HILARY BARTA. This edition has a foreword from PATTON OSWALT and new commentary from the creators, plus the original covers from GEOF DARROW, RICK REMENDER, KIERON DWYER, and TONY MOORE.

Collects THE LAST CHRISTMAS #1-5

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936136216?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936136330?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936136413?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936138795?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936141117?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936143578?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180MICE TEMPLAR VOLUME 4.1 HC

1936145582?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story BRYAN J.L. GLASS & MICHAEL AVON OEMING

Art MICHAEL AVON OEMING & VICTOR SANTOS

Cover MICHAEL AVON OEMING

248 PAGES / FC / T / $29.99

“LEGEND,” Part One

The Legend of Karic grows…but its legacy is both greater and darker than the noble young mouse it is said to embody. As every victory is turned against him, Karic confronts his own past and demands answers. And the mad king Icarus launches his great war against creation.

Collects MICE TEMPLAR: LEGEND #1-8

Good stuff, still. Go buy it.

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180NOWHERE MEN VOL 1: FATES WORSE THAN DEATH TP

1936147865?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Eric Stephenson (A) Nate Bellegarde, Jordie Bellaire (CA) Nate Bellegarde, Fonographiks

"SCIENCE IS THE NEW ROCK 'N' ROLL!"

So said Dade Ellis, Simon Grimshaw, Emerson Strange, and Thomas Walker at the dawn of a new age of enlightenment that ushered in a boom in scientific advancement.  As the research supergroup World Corp., they became the most celebrated scientists of all time.  They changed the world-and we loved them for it. But where did it all go wrong?  And when progress is made at any and all cost, who ultimately pays the price?

Collects NOWHERE MEN #1-6

$9.99

This is Manhattan Projects for true science fiction fans. Or maybe I should say it's a comic book for true science fiction fans.

It's a book that will reward long-term commitment and re-reading. But you have to know that going in; the first three issues or so don't really intrigue. In other words, it's constructed like a novel, not a graphic novel.

Take that as you will! :)

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAVAGE DRAGON #192

1936148328?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A/CA) Erik Larsen

"THE LAST WALK"

For 21 years, Savage Dragon has been fighting the good fight. Now, that fight comes to its end.

$3.99

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936148490?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936148581?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936148681?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936148734?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936149444?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180SEX CRIMINALS #3

1936149610?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story MATT FRACTION

Art / cover CHIP ZDARSKY

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

How did these two end up in that bank, with those guns? Because they seemed like such nice kids, right? Well, THE SEX POLICE have the same questions and descend on Susie and Jon. And we get the rest of Jon's gory story — if you read ONE weird sex and time comedy comic this year, make sure it's "My Sexual Errors 1998 — Present!"

I finally read the first three issues of this, and I confess it's not what I expected.

To be fair, the PR put me off. "What would you do if you could stop time by having sex? You'd rob banks!" is one solicitation line that infuriated me. Because it assumed it knew what I was like, which it didn't, because, you know, robbing banks is NOT what I'd do if I had that power. (Or any power.) I don't know exactly what I WOULD do, but I wouldn't rob banks. And the assumption by the PR that we are all larcenous a-holes put me off. 

But it turns out to be a different kind of story. Yes, it is about two people who can stop time by having sex, and they do rob banks. But it's a Matt Fraction story, and all of his stories are a little off-beat, and usually kinda jump around -- not just in time (which they usually do), but conceptually. That is to say, Fraction's stories seem to know where they're going, but it's Faulkneresque stream-of-consciousness that takes you there.

In other words, Fraction stories are jokes told by a five-year-old, only a little more polished. You have to have a lot of patience, because the storyteller keeps digressing into completely pointless sub-stories before getting back to the "main" narrative -- assuming there is one. And the storyteller often forgets the point, anyway. You often have to provide meaning and context yourself.

But, despite all that, Fraction can really tell a story. In other words, he's a very polished five-year-old storyteller, in that his digressions are very pleasant and apply to an overall word picture.

And he weaves an entertaining diversion here.

The two main characters are really likeable and three-dimensional adults, for example. (Or quasi-adults, anyway -- college age.) Granted, Fraction has the freedom to add multiple dimensions to his characters because he isn't tied to linear narrative. OTOH, he chances losing his audience by his ADD storytelling, while he is really good at the adding-of-dimensions thing.

The upshot is that some will find Fraction stories baffling, some will find them richly fulfilling character studies that have no need for actual story, and there will be the vast majority of us in between.

Which also describes how I feel about Sex Criminals. I kinda like these people, and the premise is interesting. But I'm a bit too long in the tooth to find the Magic Orgasm aspect to be quite the clever metaphor it's meant to be, or to really care what happens to these children. And I say "children" not from a perspective of age but simple maturity; at their age I wouldn't do the things they were doing, because I was already immersed in the responsibilities of adulthood. These adult-ish characters are still free to be children, and good for them, but they are not like me and I'm not terribly interested in what happens to them.

Is that shallow? Maybe so. I've never been able to get through The Brothers Karamozov either.

1936151862?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936154152?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936154214?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936154355?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936154933?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936157266?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHELTERED #5

1936159414?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story ED BRISSON

Art / cover  JOHNNIE CHRISTMAS 

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

Still reeling from the events leading to the death of one of their own, Safe Haven receives an unexpected visit from a group of outsiders. Friends? Or have these outsiders come to take everything that the kids have fought to save?

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936161493?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936163694?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936163903?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936163946?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936164045?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936164365?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180TODD, THE UGLIEST KID ON EARTH #7

1936166673?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story KEN KRISTENSEN

Art / cover  M.K. PERKER 

NOVEMBER 13

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

"CHARLIE ROSE'S TABLE: PUBLIC BROADCASTING SATAN," Part Three

Charlie Rose’s insidious brainwashing scheme turns Gus and the town into mindless PBS-starved zombies, with Todd and Marxman-the-demon-hunter helpless to stop him. And when the world’s most dangerous cosmetologist fails to improve Peggy’s looks, there’s nowhere to go but down. Meanwhile, Satan’s son, Craig, has a breakthrough during family counseling.

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936168936?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936170945?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936171106?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936173079?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936173206?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936175129?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180ZERO #3

1936175256?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story ALES KOT

Art MORGAN JESKE & JORDIE BELLAIRE

Cover MORGAN JESKE & TOM MULLER

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

Rio, 2019. Edward Zero looks in a mirror and the mirror gives him unsettling answers. The mirror being Carlyle, ex-Agency spy, holed up in a favela, running his own gang.

The first issue of this put me off sufficiently that I haven't set aside the time to read issues #2-3. Come to think of it, that's a review all on its own.

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936177441?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936177531?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936179537?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936181651?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936184047?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936184278?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• MARVEL COMICS

A+X #14

1936116855?profile=RESIZE_180x180GERRY DUGGAN & MAX BEMIS (W)

DAVID YARDIN &

DAVID LAFUENTE (A)

Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE

• CAPTAIN AMERICA + CYCLOPS continue their quest to root out Cadre K!

• Plus: Two former villains…

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN + MAGNETO!

• Max Bemis of the band Say Anything makes his Marvel Comics writing debut!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180A+X VOL. 2: = AMAZING TPB

1936118781?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by ZEB WELLS, MIKE COSTA, GERRY DUGGAN, CHRIS HASTINGS NATHAN EDMONDSON, DAVID LAPHAM, B. CLAY MOORE, ADAM WARREN, MIKE BENSON, JIM KRUEGER, CHRISTOS GAGE & JUSTIN JORDAN

Penciled by DALE KEOWN, CHRIS TURCOTTE, R’JOHN BERNALES, SALVADOR LARROCA, REILLY BROWN, HUMBERTO RAMOS, DAVID LAPHAM, KRIS ANKA, ADAM WARREN, MARK TEXEIRA, DAVID LAFUENTE & MIKE DEODATO

Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS

Marvel NOW! continues pairing Avengers with X-Men, producing results unlike any team-up tales before! Iron Man and Beast butt heads! Thor and Iceman face the fury of the Frost Giants! Spider-Woman, Kitty Pryde and Lockheed investigate aliens! And Deadpool and Hawkeye — well, let’s just say that they don’t see eye-to-eye! Plus: Captain America and Wolverine fight a decidedly unique villain! Black Widow squares off against Fantomex! Scarlet Witch and Domino try their luck! Thor and Magik fight demons in Limbo! Cyclops battles the Superior Spider-Man! Beast reunites with Wonder Man! Captain America meets his match…in Jubilee! And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, as Marvel NOW! proves that A plus X equals infinite possibilities! Collecting A+X #7-12.

136 PGS./Rated T …$17.99

I've got this on order, because even Captain Comics likes funnybooks without context occasionally. Rock on!

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180AMAZING SPIDER-MAN EPIC COLLECTION: COSMIC ADVENTURES TPB

1936121070?profile=RESIZE_180x180Volume #20 In the Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collections

Written by DAVID MICHELINIE, GERRY CONWAY, STAN LEE & MORE

Penciled by COLLEEN DORAN, ERIK LARSEN, TODD MCFARLANE, SAL BUSCEMA, ALEX SAVIUK,

GIL KANE, STEVE DITKO & MORE

Cover by SAL BUSCEMA

With great power comes great responsibility, but what happens with unlimited cosmic power?

When a science experiment goes wrong, Peter Parker’s spider-powers are enhanced to an unbelievable degree! And the timing can’t be beat — because with a cabal of deadly villains unleashing unpredictable attacks on Marvel’s heroes, Spider-Man will need all his newfound might just to survive! But who or what is the real force behind Spidey’s cosmic empowerment? And what battle is he destined to fight? Plus: Spider-Man teams up with the Punisher, deals with the return of Venom and battles the shrunken Psycho-Man in a totally tiny adventure! Guest-starring the Hulk, Magneto, Dr. Doom, the Frightful Four and more! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #326-333 and ANNUAL #24, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #158-160 and ANNUAL #10, and WEB OF SPIDER-MAN (1985) #59-61 and ANNUAL #6.

504 PGS./Rated T …$39.99

I read these stories when they were first published, but don't remember a thing about them. There was a long stretch of Marvel Comics, you see, that had zero consequences: Nothing ever changed. They were just endless storytelling loops that always returned to the status quo. Ergo, they were pretty unmemorable. This falls into that category.

That being said, I'd like to see ALL comic books preserved in some form, from B&W "phone books" to e-libraries. Just because. And this falls into THAT category as well.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180AVENGERS A.I. #6

1936121179?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • VALERIO SCHITI (A)

Cover by DAVE MARQUEZ

• THE MAN BEHIND THE IRON (MAN) MASK REVEALED! (Definitely more than meets the eye…)

• With the Vision’s teammates in turmoil, what’s a telegenic techno-being to do? Why, make the morning show rounds of course!

• And S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Monica Chang does it. Yes…IT. We can’t believe it either.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180CABLE AND X-FORCE #16

1936121340?profile=RESIZE_180x180DENNIS HOPELESS (W) • TBD (A)

Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA

• In the aftermath of X-Force’s battle with the Uncanny Avengers, Cable’s mutant powers have been drastically altered.

• What will this mean when the next cataclysmic threat comes knocking at X-Force’s door?

32 PGS./PARENTAL ADVISORY…$3.99

I found "Marvel NOW!" reboots a perfect jumping-off point for characters and concepts I bought out of loyalty or completeness that I didn't really enjoy. "Cable" and "X-Force" are two of those characters/concepts I abandoned, and here is a book that combines them. So, obviously, I am not reading this book and have no idea what's going on in it. Am I missing anything, Marvelites?

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180CATACLYSM: ULTIMATES #1 (of 3)

1936126558?profile=RESIZE_180x180Joshua HALE FIALKOV (W) • CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO (A)

Cover by MUKESH SINGH

Variant Cover by GABRIEL HARDMAN

• NICK FURY has defied the odds all his life and is no stranger to extinction level events

• It’s time to save the world again…at any cost!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Jeebus, when will this be over? The Ultimate Universe has been on the verge of being eaten for five months now! Either survive or don't, Ultimate folks -- let's get on with it!

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEXTER #5 (OF 5)

1936127768?profile=RESIZE_180x180Jeff Lindsay(W) • DALIBOR TALAJIC (A)

Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

CONTINUING THE ALL-NEW DEXTER ADVENTURE, WRITTEN BY HIS CREATOR JEFF LINDSAY!

• Dexter Morgan isn’t just Miami’s #1 forensic blood splatter expert, he’s also a serial killer who targets other serial killers!

• Has Dexter met his match and did he help create him?

• The bodies are piling up—and Dexter might be next!

32 PGS./Rated Parental Advisory …$3.99

Copyright © by Jeff Lindsay. All rights reserved.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180FANTASTIC FOUR #14

1936129300?profile=RESIZE_180x180Matt Fraction & Karl Kesel (W) • MARK BAGLEY (A/C)

• Into the Doomed Universe! Imagine a place where the only five things left alive are the Fantastic Four… and Dr. Doom!

• How can they save an entire galaxy used to fuel a power-mad Doom’s cosmic empire?

• And after the shocking end of last month’s issue, can the first family hold it together just a little while longer?

32 PGS./Rated T …$2.99

This is a title not long for this world -- and one I haven't been buying since the advent of "Marvel NOW!" So, once again, Legionnaires: Am I missing anything, or should I just wait for the reboot in February?

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #15

1801235830?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARK WAID (W)

MUKESH SINGH (A)

Cover by MUKESH SINGH

Time Travel Variant by MIKE DEL MUNDO

“HULK AGENT OF T.I.M.E.” CONCLUSION!

• The final stand against the CHRONARCHISTS!

• The HULK returns to present-day--but WHICH Hulk?

• And whatever became of BRUCE BANNER?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Still excellent.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180LONGSHOT SAVES MARVEL UNIVERSE #2

1936130936?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Christopher Hastings (A) Jacopo Camagni (CA) David Nakayama

• When someone is targeting the lucky for death, it won't take long before the luckiest X-Man, Longshot, is in the killer's sights. But things quickly go from bad to worse as super heroes, villains, all of S.H.I.E.L.D. and even COSMIC ENTITIES have it out for our boy!

•  Is Longshot finally in over his head, or can he beat the odds and save the Marvel Universe when no one else can?

$2.99

1936121281?profile=RESIZE_180x180SECRET AVENGERS #11

1936132728?profile=RESIZE_180x180ED BRISSON (W)

LUKE ROSS (A)

Cover by NIC KLEIN

INFINITY TIE-IN!

• The Junkman of Brooklyn!

• Will our new hero ever choose a name?

• And...oh yeah...Fury, Coulson and Iron Patriot face certain death. No biggie.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180SECRET AVENGERS BY RICK REMENDER VOL 3 TP

1936134932?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by RICK REMENDER

Penciled by ANDY KUHN & MATTEO SCALERA

Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS

The rise of the Descendants! As Father launches his invasion, a terrible new Avengers foe is born: beware the bite of the Black Ant! Can the Marvel Universe survive the plague of contagious robotic evolution, merging the Descendants with all humanity? And how do you stop a plague that has already begun to spread? Torch, Venom and Valkyrie infiltrate the rebel robot base — but are Lord UltraVision and Monarch Machine Man friend or foe? And when Torch must choose between mankind and the perfect future Father will create for all automatons, which will he pick? As Black Ant and Hawkeye face off in the ultimate showdown, the Master Mold rises over New York — and the only way to stop it is to kill the Torch! Collecting SECRET AVENGERS (2010) #33-37.

112 PGS./Rated T+ …$17.99

This is exactly the book that finally turned me off to Rick Remender's work. I'm not going to bother linking to the Reviews section, because I just don't want to spend any more time on it. Sorry.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1

1936137034?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHRISTOS GAGE (W) • JAVIER RODRIGUEZ (A)

COVER BY J.G JONES

• This ain’t no regular Annual, buck-o! This one counts!

• BLACKOUT is back, and he wants to re-establish his reputation by killing the toughest guy in town... Spider-Man!

• He plans to force Peter Parker Spidey into a trap. Blackout’s leverage? Aunt May!

• The world will never look at Superior Spider-Man the same after this. BE THERE!

40 PGS./All new Material/Rated T …$4.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP #6

1936139390?profile=RESIZE_180x180Christopher Yost (W) • Marco Checchetto (A)

Cover by Paolo Rivera

THE SUPERIOR SIX CONTINUES!

• Spider-Man has formed his own SUPERIOR super-hero team... out of the SINISTER SIX!

• As Spider-Man deals with the challenges his new team poses, Lightmaster makes his move!

• Can Spider-Man trust his new team, aka his greatest enemies, when a reformed Masters of Evil come calling?

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Nice call-back to Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1. Did you know that Spidey was originally supposed to be creepy? True story, swear to God!

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180TAKIO 2 GN HC

1936142015?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Brian Michael Bendis (A/CA) Michael Avon Oeming

Bursting from the pages of last year's best-selling graphic novel! From the Eisner Award-winning creators of POWERS comes this all-new, all-ages superhero adventure for a new generation! Taki and Olivia are sisters with superpowers! In fact, they are the only ones in the world with superpowers! So obviously they have to become superheroes! But is the world ready for real-life superheroes? Are the girls ready for the challenge? And will the accident that made them who they are reveal secrets that will change their lives forever? The answers are no, no and yes. TAKIO is a brand-new all-ages adventure for comic-book fans of all ages, a book you can share with your kids or just enjoy for yourself! TAKIO is on the 2012 YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens List! Collecting TAKIO #1-4.

$16.99

I had no idea Marvel published anything of this nature. None.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180THUNDERBOLTS #18

1936144930?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHARLES SOULE (W)

JEFTE PALO (A)

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

INFINITY TIE-IN!

• Mobsters, aliens, broken promises, and now…THIS???

• Things could not go more wrong for the Thunderbolts…

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$2.99

Still not believing Red Hulk would be the leader of any team, especially this one.

Still not believing Elektra and Deadpool would be part of any team, especially this one.

Still not believing that Ghost Rider would be part of any team, especially this one.

Still not believing Punisher would ever be part of any team ... ANY team.

Needless to say, still not reading this book.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY X-FORCE VOL 2: TORN AND FRAYED TP

1936147883?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Sam Humphries (A) Ramon K. Perez, Dexter Soy (CA) Kris Anka

The Fantomex Love Pentagram explodes! With the truth about their sordid past fully revealed, can Fantomex, Psylocke and Cluster look each other in the eye? Now we know what Psylocke did last summer, and it's a doozy! But every psychic ninja needs a vicious animal with no impulse control and a short temper to back her up, right? The skies of Madripoor run red as the Uncanny X-Force faces off against Fantomex...Fantomex...and Fantomex! Newly reunited, the team must cope with the fallout of their recent decisions. Bishop provides more information about the dangerous threats they face - but can he be believed, or is he only manipulating X-Force? Plus: A terrifying, surprise villain from the past is definitely playing chess (not checkers) across Los Angeles. And the secrets of the Revenants are revealed!

$17.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY X-MEN #14

1936148136?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936149801?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936112527?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W)

CHRISTOPHER BACHALO (A/C)

MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. VARIANTS ALSO AVAILABLE

• The effects of X-MEN: BATTLE OF THE ATOM are felt!

• Magneto goes off on personal mission that sets him at odds with much of the X-Men

and Marvel Universe.

• The new Xavier School has changed, but how?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180WOLVERINE MAX #13

1936152073?profile=RESIZE_180x180JASON STARR (w)

FELIX RUIZ (a)

Cover by JOCK

• The dangers of Las Vegas stretch far beyond the casino floors – and Wolverine is about to meet them head-on!

• Under the control of an evil hypnotist, Logan learns new dark secrets from his past.

• Will one of these secrets lead him to kill again?

32 PGS./Explicit Content …$3.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN LEGACY #20

1936152297?profile=RESIZE_180x180SIMON SPURRIER (W) • TBD (A)

Cover by Mike Del Mundo

• One of Legion’s most troublesome personalities threatens to annihilate an alien species!

• S.W.O.R.D. director Abigail Brand is on the case – but will she be able to work with David to solve this extraterrestrial conundrum?

• Odd couple adventures ensue as David and Brand team up to stop the destruction before it begins!

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$2.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN: SKINNING OF SOULS TP

1936155273?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by FABIAN NICIEZA, SCOTT LOBDELL & DAN SLOTT

Penciled by ANDY KUBERT, BRANDON PETERSON, RICHARD BENNETT, ELIOT R. BROWN & MORE

Cover by ANDY KUBERT

The X-Men travel to Russia for a family reunion with Colossus’ parents — and his little sister Illyana, formerly the fan-favorite New Mutant known as Magik! But the villainous Soul Skinner is on the loose, and the Russian government is prepared to stop him by any means necessary. Even if that means using a little girl and shattering a family. Then: Betsy Braddock returns! But if Betsy’s back, then who is Psylocke? The X-Men head for Japan in search of answers, but find themselves at odds with the Silver Samurai! And while Mr. Sinister warns Cyclops of a deadly new threat to mutants, Gambit and Rogue face a challenge of the heart. Plus: Learn the secrets of the X-Mansion in a fact-packed guidebook! Collecting X-MEN (1991) #17-24, X-MEN: SURVIVAL GUIDE TO THE MANSION and material from MARVEL SWIMSUIT SPECIAL #2.

280 PGS./Rated T …$24.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN VOL 1: PRIMER TP

1936155481?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BRIAN WOOD

Penciled by OLIVIER COIPEL & DAVID LOPEZ

Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL

Because you demanded it! The X-Women get their own book, from critically acclaimed superstars Brian Wood (X-MEN, ULTIMATE X-MEN, DMZ, The Massive) and Olivier Coipel (AVX, HOUSE OF M, THOR)! An old enemy shows up at the X-Men’s door, seeking asylum from an ancient evil. John Sublime is back, but he’s not who we should be afraid of! Who or what is Arkea? Meanwhile, Jubilee returns home — with an orphaned baby who might hold the key to Earth’s survival — or its destruction! Against a backdrop of what seems like an alien invasion and an eons-spanning war between brother and sister, Storm puts together a team to protect the child and stop a new threat that could destroy all life on the planet! Plus: Jubilee’s classic first appearance! Collecting X-MEN (2013) #1-4 and UNCANNY X-MEN (1963) #244.

112 PGS./Rated T+ …$17.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180YOUNG AVENGERS #12

1936158120?profile=RESIZE_180x180KIERON GILLEN (W)

JAMIE MCKELVIE (A/C)

• The Young Avengers versus “The Young Avengers”. The stakes? What have you got?

• Loki’s scheme reaches its final twist. Expect the team’s jaws to just hit the floor and lie there, twitching for the rest of the comic.

• A tempting offer for Noh-Varr may get an arrow through his head. Other romance based drama too, as kissing is the new planetary extinction event.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

I wish I had liked the first TPB better. But I'll get the second one, too, just to see if it gets better.

• A1 ANNUAL VOL 1 GN

1936115677?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN

(W) Matt Wagner & Various (A) Jim Steranko & Various

A1 has been a laboratory for creators to experiment and innovate. Already proving a success with the new monthly comic, this first all-new A1 Annual marks the thrilling return of the award-winning graphic anthology series to bookshelves everywhere!

$22.99

Titan has moved aggressively into the monthly comics market in the U.S., so much so that they are the only UK publisher carried by Diamond. I never see these books at my LCS, but I do live in a backwater. Anybody see them where you live? I'm curious how successful they are.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ACCELERATORS #4

1936115830?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BLUE JUICE COMICS

(W) R.F.I. Porto (A) Gavin Smith (CA) Walter Flanagan

Past and future collide! The past: our heroes find themselves drawn into a dangerous time travel experiment. The future: Bertram faces his most insane Time Games challenge yet.

$3.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ACME NOVELTY DATEBOOK VOL 1 10TH ANNIV PTG HC

1936117943?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DRAWN & QUARTERLY

(W/A/CA) Chris Ware

Acclaimed cartoonist Chris Ware (Building Stories) reveals the outtakes of his genius in these intimate, imaginative and whimsical sketches collected from the years during which he completed his award-winning graphic novel Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth. Acme Datebook Volume One is as much a companion volume to Jimmy Corrigan as a tremendous art collection from of one of America's most interesting and popular graphic artists. Chris Ware surprises the reader on every page with its spontaneity, its mordant humor, and its excellent draftsmanship.

$44.95

There's a reason I never became an English major, even though I had huge aptitudes for the field. Stuff like this bores me. I understand every metaphor, simile, aphorism and reference in The Great Gatsby, and HATE that damn book.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ADVENTURE TIME #22

1936119980?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Ryan North, Zack Smith (A) Shelli Paroline & Various (CA) Scott Maynard, Mike Holmes
    Finn and Jake find themselves in a sticky situation when Princess Bubblegum's experiments searching for the origin of life...specifically, her life...go horribly wrong, overcoming the Candy Kingdom! What sour weapon can the boys find that can overcome something so primordially sweet?

$3.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ALICE IN THE COUNTRY: CLOVER CHESHIRE CAT WALTZ VOL 7 GN

1936126434?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ST. MARTINS PRESS

(W) Quinrose (A/CA) Mamenosuke Fujimaru

The final volume in the New York Times-bestselling manga series about Alice and the Cheshire Cat! His name is Boris, and despite his human form and piercings and tattoos, he is not your typical punk teenager. For he is the Cheshire Cat, complete with cat ears and a tail, and a penchant for riddles. Boris is in madly love with Alice, and Alice is vulnerable and lonely. But will she fall for the Cheshire Cat?

$13.99

Someday future historians will be amazed to discover Alice was originally a pre-pubescent who wasn't remotely sexual.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ARCHIE & FRIENDS DOUBLE DOUBLE DIGEST #33

afdd33.150.jpg?width=150Archie in “Not Even a Moose”—Archie steps into the shoes of the jolly fat man to bring some Christmas cheer to the halls of Riverdale! But when he seems to only be spreading the joy to girls—namely Midge—Moose is bound to see red. Unless, of course, he thinks Archie’s the real Santa Clause! Can Archie fool Moose or will he be spending Christmas in a hospital bed? Find out in a hilarious lead story to a holly jolly double double digest!

Script: Frank Doyle

Art: Bill Vigoda, Terry Szenics, Barry Grossman

Cover: Fernando Ruiz, Bob Smith, Rosario ‘Tito’ Peña

320-page, FC, $5.99 U.S.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ASSASSINS CREED HAWK VOL 1 GN

1936128061?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W) Eric Corbeyran (A/CA) Djillali Defali

The first of three fantastic new original graphic novels in the second cycle of the official Assassin's Creed comics storylines from Ubisoft, published for the first time in the English language! When Desmond Miles is called away on an urgent mission, he entrusts fellow Assassin Jonathan Hawk with the search for the Scepter of Isis - a powerful ancient artifact, lost in time. Pursued in the past by a maniacal sultan and in the present by the formidable Templar agent Vernon Hest, Hawk finds himself in a race against time throughout time.

$9.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ASTERIX OMNIBUS VOL 8 HC

1936129827?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: STERLING PUBLISHING

(W) Rene Goscinny (A/CA) Albert Uderzo

Asterix fans can now enjoy books 22 through 24 in a gorgeous special collector's edition! A storm blows our historical hero way off course in Asterix and the Great Crossing. Caesar sends Caius Preposterus, graduate of the Latin School of Economics, to corrupt the indomitable Gauls in Obelix and Co. And the Gauls compete with the Belgian tribes to determine who is the bravest in Asterix in Belgium.

$27.95

I feel I should read and own all "Asterix & Obelix," or not have the right to call myself "Captain Comics." But so far I have yet to see or order any of this material. I feel more ashamed than usual.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ATOMIC ROBO REAL SCIENCE ADV #12

1936131240?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RED 5 COMICS

(W) Brian Clevinger (A) Erich Owen (CA) Scott Wegener

A cabal of industrialists have used their wealth and influence to flood Manhattan Island through a network of underground tunnels to destroy the nation's already shaken economy and prove the failure of democracy to usher a new order: The Triumvirate!

$2.75

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ATOMIC ROBO SAVAGE SWORD OF DR DINOSAUR #3

1936131250?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RED 5 COMICS

(W) Brian Clevinger (A/CA) Scott Wegener

Majestic 12 tightens its noose around Tesladyne. Meanwhile Atomic Robo is trapped in Hollow Earth where Dr. Dinosaur has, like, five nuclear weapons and he wants to use them to destroy time itself. Probably he'll just poison the entire atmosphere with radioactive dust though.

$3.50

I read the first Atomic Robo TPB and found it mildly diverting and majorly derivative. Anyone else have an opinion?

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: STARBUCK #1

1936133528?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Tony Lee (A) Eman Casallos (CA) Sean Chen

Finally, the origin of Lt. Starbuck is told by #1 New York Times best-selling author Tony Lee! See how Starbuck became a Viper pilot, his first meeting with Apollo and why Adama treats him like a son - as he pieces together what really happened the night he was orphaned, and the name of the traitor who ordered it...

$3.99

Starbuck is like what a 13-year-old boy thinks a cool adult guy is like. And, despite this cover, girls do NOT find that attractive.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180BILLY TUCCI A CHILD IS BORN ONE-SHOT

1936136009?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: APOSTLE ARTS LLC

(A) Billy Tucci (CA) Mark Sparacio, Mark Sparacio

Sgt. Rock: The Lost Battalion writer-artist and Eisner Award-nominee, Billy Tucci, faithfully depicts "The Christmas Story" as it has never been seen before in "A Child Is Born." Adapted directly from the Gospels of Matthew and Luke, and painstakingly researched with Nativity scholars, Tucci's highly detailed, beautiful art brings forth a stunning rendition of the Greatest Story Ever Told.

$5.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180BRAVEST WARRIORS #14

1936135935?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Breehn Burns, Jason Johnson (A) Mike Holmes (CA) Tyson Hesse, Michelle Nunnelly

Things are never easy for the Bravest Warriors, it's probably what makes them so gosh darn likable. This issue isn't just another "will they, won't they" between Beth and Chris (answer: socks), it's another mission where the Bravest Warriors will get to bring their unique personalities together to overcome all obstacles in their way!

$3.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180BRIONY HATCH GN

1936136184?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: SCB DISTRIBUTORS

Briony Hatch hates reality. She prefers the fantasy world of her favorite novels: The Starling Black Adventures, in which ghosts are real and you can cast magic spells to defeat your enemies. In her real life, Briony's parents are getting divorced and her friends are preoccupied by losing weight and shagging boys. Her mother wants her to grow up and get her head out of those books. Worst of all, Briony has almost finished the last ever Starling Black novel; life will soon have no meaning at all. But Briony is about to learn that fantasy and reality aren't always so easy to distinguish, and life doesn't have to be dull just because you're getting older.

$19.95

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180CAGE OF EDEN VOL 12 GN

1936138583?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Yoshinobu Yamada

What was supposed to be humanity's last stronghold has crumbled without a trace, and the school kids are under siege by three different kinds of extinct creatures! With their backs against the wall, the real Miina suddenly reveals the creatures' specific weaknesses - details no modern human being should know! Is she telling the truth, or bluffing? Akira will decide which - and bet his own life!

$10.99

I've made a lot of jokes about manga in this forum, but honestly, I know that manga isn't any one thing. It isn't even a genre -- it's a medium. And that medium allows for all sort of styles and genres and stories, from children's material to the weirdest sort of porn.

And I wish American comics was a medium with subject matter that covered that much ground.

But I have to say that this, here, is the kind of thing I joke about. I have no idea what the story is about, but the cover alone is asking me to view pubescent girls -- or possibly pre-pubescent girls -- in a sexual manner. And that just creeps me out.

Maybe that's normal in Japan (I don't know), but it's not normal here. I was raised in a culture with a serious taboo about child sex, and I am grossed out by material represented by the cover above.

And I joke because I am uncomfortable.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180CITY OF LIGHT CITY OF DARK GN

1936138764?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: SCHOLASTIC INC.

(W) AVI (A/CA) Brian Floca

Avi's groundbreaking graphic novel gets a stunning new cover to celebrate its twentieth anniversary! Two kids fight to save their city from eternal winter in this gripping fantasy by Newbery Medalist Avi, illustrated by three-time Sibert Honoree Brian Floca. The Kurbs give people light and warmth to establish a city, on one condition: The people must return the Power every year or risk losing the city forever. This system works for centuries until evil Mr. Underton tries to steal the Power. If he succeeds, the Kurbs will take back the City, reducing it to a dark and frozen tundra. It's up to Carlos and Sarah to find the Power, housed in a subway token, and keep the City safe, despite secrets of Sarah's history that are entwined with the token. What ensues is a race against darkness. Available in Hardcover and Softcover editions.

$10.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• CRITTER #16

1936114463?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

(W) Tom Hutchison (A) Renato Rei (CA) Renato Rei, Jenevieve Broomall

Critter is once again at a crossroads in her superhero life. Will she move forward or backwards? And is either choice truly right or wrong?

$3.50

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180CRITTER VOL 3 TP

1936116674?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

(W) Tom Hutchison (A) Fico Ossio, Alisson Borges (CA) Fico Ossio

Purrrfection leader, Cougar has been hiding something for years. Now that Critter knows, she's not happy and announces her intention to leave the team. But one more event is already planned and Critter and the team head to Las Vegas and the Babylon Hotel (from Penny for Your Soul) before returning home to an attack from the Depths! This volume of Critter collects issues #6-10 of the ongoing series.

$14.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180CUTE GIRL NETWORK GN

1936118571?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ST. MARTINS PRESS

(W) Greg Means, M. K. Reed (A/CA) Joe Flood

Jane's new in town. When she wipes out on her skateboard right in front of Jack's food cart, she finds herself agreeing to go on a date with him. Jane's psyched that her love life is taking a turn for the friskier, but it turns out that Jack has a spotty romantic history, to put it mildly. Cue the Cute Girl Network - a phone tree information-pooling group of local single women. Poor Jane is about to learn every detail of Jack's past misadventures, whether she wants to or not! Will love prevail?

$17.99

I just knew there was a cute girl network in high school, and that they were conspiring to not talk to me!

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEATH SENTENCE #1 2ND PTG

1936120734?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN

(W) Monty Nero (A/CA) Michael Dowling

From Titan Comics. What would you do with superpowers - and six months to live? That's the dilemma facing three people who've contracted the G+ Virus, a terrifying new STD. What can graphic designer Verity, failing indie guitarist Weasel and roguish media personality Monty do in the time they have left? Fade away -- or go out in a blaze of glory? By turns funny, dark, sad and spectacular, Death Sentence is an emotional thrillride through celebrity, loss, passion and creativity. It's the jaw-dropping next stage in superpowered storytelling! Packed with unforgettable shocks, quotable dialogue and the character finds of a generation, this is an unmissable debut by two striking and confident new voices! Scheduled to ship 11/13/13. (5321)

$3.99

More Titan. And, you know, there is a certain immaturity to UK comics that I can't put my finger on. Often they have interesting concepts or ideas, but that's introduced in the first page and are never developed -- UK comics never go anywhere. Even Judge Dredd has been shooting perps in the same rut for decades.

But there's more than that. Look at Tank Girl, or Death Sentence, above. I don't know what it is, but there's a teenage perspective in UK comics -- somehow they all seem aimed at anarchic high school kids. If there's anywhere on Earth where it's true that "comics are for kids," it's in the UK. They're often high quality, they're often well written and drawn, but they're so ... I dunno, juvenile.

Can anybody help me with this?

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEJAH THORIS & GREEN MEN OF MARS #8

1936126464?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936127832?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936129524?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936129986?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936131316?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Mark Rahner (A) Lui Antonio (CA) Jay Anacleto

Race hatred stoked by terrorists threatens to drive Heliumites and Tharks back to war. Everything the trauma-exhausted Dejah Thoris does only seems to worsen it. And her last-ditch plan brings her face-to-face with the disfigured Thark who triggers her worst fears!

$3.99

BOOOOOOOOBS!

Also, since someone asked last week, I checked the Dynamite page, and found this line:

This product not authorized by Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc.

Heh.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180DOGS VOL 8 TP

1936133754?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Shirow Miwa

The attacks launched from the Below create unrest among the residents of the Underground. When Miss Liza learns the truth behind the kidnapping of the Lost Children, the mutual distrust and anger only grow, with potentially fatal results. But Heine's biggest problem by far lies in Naoto's hands: the black sword that was made to kill his kind. When figures from Heine's past confront him, will Naoto act as his ally...or his enemy?

$12.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180ETERNAL WARRIOR #3

EW_003_COVER_JONES.jpg?width=150 EW_003_VARIANT_ROSSMO.jpg?width=150Written by GREG PAK

Art by TREVOR HAIRSINE

Cover by J.G. JONES

Variant Cover by RILEY ROSSMO

Save the Wizard!

Hungry for glory as the new Fist and Steel, the Eternal Warrior's daughter Xaran has started a war between the mysterious Houses that rule the world. Now, as Gilad struggles to contain his daughter's savage nature, two generations of Eternal Warrior race after the answers that lie between science and myth, rumor and legend, conquest and defeat.

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

I liked the original Valiant Eternal Warrior. I haven't sampled this one yet, but I'm guessing it -- like all Valiant concepts so far -- is more advanced, cooler and more professional in this iteration than the last, which itself wasn't bad.

Looking forward to it.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180FIFTH ESSENCE PT 1: DREAMING GALAXY HC

1936135993?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

(W) Alejandro Jodorowsky (A/CA) Moebius

The fifth volume of The Incal, the bestselling international comic masterpiece by Mœbius and Jodorowsky, The Fifth Essence Part One: The Dreaming Galaxy is yet another unique gem in the Jodorowsky/Mœbius creative and evolutionary timeline. It can be enjoyed both as part of the legendary series as well as on its own. The battle rages on as John DiFool and the rest of the band continue their fight against the forces of Darkness. Published in its original colors and in the same deluxe, limited & numbered (999 copies only), super-oversized format as the first four volumes of the series.

$79.95

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180FRAGGLE ROCK CLASSICS VOL 2 TP

1936137969?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHAIA ENTERTAINMENT LLC

(W) Stan Kay (A) Marie Severin (CA) Jake Myler

Archaia Entertainment and The Jim Henson Company are proud to present a new reprinting of the original Fraggle Rock comic book series, which first debuted in 1985. Completing the full original run, Volume 2 brings fans madcap adventure with stories such as "The Mean Genie," "Exploring the Unknown," "The Great Radish Caper," and "The Greatest Race There Ever Was." Digitally remastered and beautifully bound in softcover for a new generation of Fraggle Rock fans, this series will make you want to dance your cares away-'80s style!

$9.95

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180FROM THE NEW WORLD VOL 1 GN

1936138044?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Yuusuke Kishi

Humanity, with the new found "power of the gods" is on the brink. A new species of beast, with the intelligence of man, and another race monsters begin to clash in this unpredictable story told through the adventues of a group of six youth whose telekenetic abilities have such been revealed.

$10.95

I posted my comments on Cage of Eden above specifically since I knew I'd get to this book pretty quickly, for a comparison.

See, I have no problem with this book at all. I'm a healthy, heterosexual male, and I like me some hot chicks. Yeah, I said that -- I'm not so sophisticated and mature and what-all that I can't admit that I don't admire good-looking girls.

But they need to be adult girls. Like this one, who is obviously an adult. Hubba hubba, 23 skidoo, hot-cha-cha, etc.

Now, I am sophisticated and mature and what-all enough that I will not enjoy a book simply because the girls are pretty, nor do I like books that objectify women. But I expect the stories I read -- in any medium or genre -- to include women, because that's normal and right. And if some of them are gorgeous, well, I'll admit to enjoying a little eye candy.

But they need to be adults. Adults. Adult women who can make their own decisions about what to wear, what roles they play, what men (or women) they choose for romantic partners, etc.

Women with the capacity to make informed consent.

Like the girl above. Not like the girls in Cage of Eden. And that's all I'm saying.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM FAIRY TALE: WONDERLAND #17

1936140479?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936142717?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936143008?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Raven Gregory (A) TBD (CA) Richard Ortiz

Dark Cheshire and the New Mad Hatter Return!

Calie and Violet's search for answers to defeat the realm of madness leads them to the site of
    the original "EXPERIMENT" that opened the first portal to Wonderland. But the answers they
    find may prove too much to bare as a startling decision is made that will change the Wonderland
    forever. Meanwhile, the Dark Cheshire, and the newly crowned Mad Hatters' search for Calie and
    Violet lead them to the foster home of the recently escaped suicide king who is attempting to learn
    to lead a normal life. Unfortunately, he will also learn that that is no Escape From Wonderland.

ANSWERS TO CALIE AND VIOLET NEW POWERS COME TO LIGHT!

RETURN TO THE SITE OF THE EXPERIMENT FROM TALES FROM WONDERLAND Vol 1

$2.99

Aaaaaaand after all that serious talk, here come some "headlight" covers to remind us what comics are really all about:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS!

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM #7

1936145171?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Marc Gaffen, Kyle McVey (A) Jose Malaga (CA) Lucio Parillo
    Coming out in November -- Look! Up in the Portland air... It's a bird, it's a plane, it's... A superhero?! When a teenage Wesen decides to use his abilities to become a real life superhero, Nick is forced into protecting the protector who finds himself over his head.

$3.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180HELLRAISER: DARK WATCH #10

1936147296?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Clive Barker, Brandon Seifert (A) Tom Garcia (CA) Sami Makkonen
    Elliot Spencer's last run-with Leviathan didn't go as planned, but the lord of the Labyrinth has no idea what his former protege has in store for him...

$3.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180HOPELESS MAINE VOL 2: INHERITANCE HC

1936149351?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHAIA ENTERTAINMENT LLC

(W) Tom Brown (A/CA) Nimue Brown

Continue with the adventures of young Salamandra, the orphaned, mysterious, witch-in-training on the haunted island of Hopeless, Maine. When Sal discovers she might have a grandfather living on the island, she seeks him out, only to find him full of even more mystery than the rest of her past. Before she can unravel the secrets of her family's past, however, her best friend, Owen, is thrust into a family trauma of his own. Salamandra must choose between helping Owen and finding the home and family she has always longed for.

$19.95

I enjoyed Volume 1, and am looking forward to Volume 2. I think this might be a book even for younger kids, especially girls, if they like "creepy" enough.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180IMAGINE AGENTS #1 2ND PTG

1936151756?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Brian Joines (A/CA) Bachan

From BOOM! Entertainment.

WHY WE LOVE IT: Brian Joines' story is one of wit, originality, and heart, complemented by imaginative and loveable art by Bachan.

WHY YOU WILL LOVE IT: Big action and bigger fun in the vein of Men in Black and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, with a dash of Chew.

WHAT IT'S ABOUT: Ever try to wrangle an illiterate, 30-foot tall rock monster away from his 5-year-old best friend? Or calm down a 400 pound muscle-man rag-doll during her daily temper-tantrum? For Dave and Terry, it's all in a day's work. As agents for I.M.A.G.I.N.E., they are responsible for keeping your imaginary friends in-line ... Little do they know that six-year-old Elliot and his best bear-friend, Furdlgurr, are about to be entangled in a plan to change everything!
    Scheduled to ship 11/20/13. (6679)

$3.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180IMAGINE AGENTS #2

1936151830?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Brian Joines (A) Bachan (CA) Khary Randolph

YOU MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN ABOUT THEM. BUT YOUR IMAGINARY FRIEND HASN'T FORGOT ABOUT YOU.

Terry and Dave must gather their wits and uncover the mystery behind Dapple's evil plan. With the help of the toy-lovable gelatin-Blounder, they may just have a chance to crack the case. Unbeknownst to them, the kidnapping of Furdlegurr has put 6-Elliot Fairview onto
    Dapple's trail.

$3.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180JENNIFER BLOOD #33

1936151965?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Michael Carroll (A) Eman Casallos (CA) Colton Worley

It seems that Jennifer Blood has gone to ground... Good news for the public, not so good for the news teams desperate to keep the story fresh. One crew, determined to scoop their rivals, decide that if a story can't be found, maybe they should create their own.

$3.99

I've been reading the solicits on this book back a few months, and this looks like one crazy book. Is anybody reading it?

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180JIM BUTCHER DRESDEN FILES GHOUL GOBLIN HC

1936154764?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Jim Butcher, Mark Powers (A) Joe Cooper (CA) Ardian Syaf

Harry Dresden, a Chicago private investigator and wizard, heads to a small, isolated Missouri town terrorized by Nevernever monsters. The singularly unfortunate Talbot family has suffered a curse that has decimated their number for generations, and only our hero can save them... that is, if he can survive hostile lawmen, the dark secrets of townsfolk, an ancient guardian spirit, and two deadly carnivores! Can Dresden cleanse the Talbot bloodline of its curse without a blood sacrifice of his own?

$24.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180JUDGE DREDD: COMPLETE CASE FILES VOL 21 TP

1936154878?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DIAMOND COMIC DIST--ENGLAND

(W) John Wagner & Various (A) Various & Various (CA) TBD

The next volume in the best-selling series of Judge Dredd's collected cases, from the pages of 2000 AD. Mega-City One: the future metropolis bustling with life and every crime imaginable. Keeping order are the Judges, a stern police force acting as judges, juries, and executioners. Toughest of all is Judge Dredd. From encountering another 2000 AD legend - Rogue Trooper - to Dredd's disgrace and arrest, this is another slab of future law enforcement!

$31.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180JUGHEAD DOUBLE DIGEST #197

jdd197.150.jpg?width=150Jughead in “The Holiday Season” – The holidays are here and Jughead and Archie are down in the dumps—where’s the Christmas cheer? With a warm front predicted for the holiday season, the boys have to scramble to make money to afford presents for their family and friends—especially since shoveling snow is not an option! Will they find the perfect job to salvage their holiday? It might just take a Christmas miracle!

Script: George Gladir

Art: Tim Kennedy, Jim Amash, Teresa Davidson, Joe Morciglio

Cover: Bill Galvan, Bob Smith, Rosario ‘Tito’ Peña

160-page, FC, $3.99 U.S.

Worst. Elf. Ever.

Here are some preview pages:

1936155067?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936157159?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180KODT BUNDLE OF TROUBLE  VOL 42 TP

1936157083?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: KENZER & COMPANY

(W/A) Jolly Blackburn (CA) TBD

This new perfectbound trade paperback contains four full issues worth of classic strips from Knights of the Dinner Table #143-146! It's always a great time to pick up these hysterically funny strips, so don't miss out on this incredible addition to any gamer's bookshelf!

$14.99

• LEGEND OF OZ: THE WICKED WEST #13

1936119082?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

(W) Tom Hutchison (A) Alisson Borges (CA) Alisson Borges, Nei Ruffino

Part Two of look back at the history of the Flying Monkeys of Oz, and how they came to be controlled by the Wicked Witch of the West. Dark times have shrouded the monkeys existence as they are bound to the Golden Cap and forced to do the Witch's bidding!

$3.50

You know, I've never seen Wicked, or read any "pre-Baum" Oz comics, but I think it's a great idea to examine the witches before they became the form we know.

But I haven't thought enough of it to actually see or read any of those stories. One of these days I will, just to see how well it's executed.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180LEGEND OF OZ: THE WICKED WEST VOL 3 TP

1936122493?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

(W) Tom Hutchison, Eric M Esquivel (A) Alisson Borges, Carlos Reno (CA) Alisson Borges

Jack Pumpkinhead has made his dramatic entrance, but has also brought with him enough personal baggage to put the Tin Man, Scarecrow, Tip, and the Lion in extreme danger. The Wheelers aren't the only bounty hunters in Oz! This volume collects issues 6-10 of the ongoing series.

$17.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARADA THE SHE WOLF HC

1936126446?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W) Chris Claremont (A/CA) John Bolton

Marada has captured the imagination since her first appearance in Epic Illustrated in 1982. Descended of Caesar, and preceded by her legendary reputation as a warrior, Marada crosses the Roman Empire from adventure to adventure. Written by Chris Claremont and illustrated by John Bolton, Marada the She-Wolf collects the three Marada stories along with the never-before-collected story "Wizard's Masque."

$24.99

I got this in the mail yesterday for review. I just couldn't get to it in time. Sorry.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180MAX PAYNE 3 COLLECTED ED HC

1936126655?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W) Dan Houser, Sam Lake (A/CA) Fernando Blanco

Bridging the gaps between Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne and 2012's critically acclaimed Max Payne 3 from Rockstar Games, Max Payne 3: The Complete Series reveals formerly hidden moments in Max's life story, from a young cop on the rise to the man whose battles with the criminal underworld cost him everything he ever held close. Max is now more alone than ever - and this time, he may not even be able to rely on himself. Co-authored by the writers of the Max Payne franchise, the complete collection of official prequel comics are bound together here for the first time!

$9.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180MEGA MAN #31

mm31v.150.jpg?width=150mm31.150.jpg?width=150"Curse of Ra Moon" Part Three: The fate of the earth hangs in the balance as Mega Man enters into the final, frantic battle with the sinister alien known as RA MOON! With Mega Man outgunned and outnumbered—will our hero survive? And if he can, how will he stand against the evil villain Ra Thor? You won’t want to miss this epic issue which features the first alliance of Mega Man and Break Man! Brother fights alongside brother for the first time in the Mega Man comics, only in the penultimate chapter to the latest MEGA-EPIC! Featuring an all-new cover art from Mega Man art legend Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante and a killer new variant cover from artist Brent McCarthy!

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn

ART: Mike Cavallaro, Gary Martin, John Workman, and Matt Herms

Cover: Patrick Spaziante

Movie Poster Variant cover: Brent McCarthy

32-page, FC, $2.99 U.S.

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180MYSTERIOUS STRANGERS #6

1936128071?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

(W) Chris Roberson (A/CA) Scott Kowalchuk

The Strangers have had their own close encounter with the beings in the "flying saucers" which have been terrorizing the American Midwest, revealed to be advance scouts for something called the "Tenth Imperium." But are they from Earth, from outer space, or somewhere else entirely? And why have they come here?

$3.99

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180MYSTERIOUS UNDERGROUND MEN HC

1936130081?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PICTUREBOX

(W/A/CA) Osamu Tezuka

Originally published in 1948, The Mysterious Underground Men tells the story of Mimio the talking rabbit as he struggles to prove his humanity while helping his friends save earth from an invasion of angry humanoid termites. Inspired by Bernhard Kellermann's Der Tunnel (1913), Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon, and various American comics including Milt Gross' He Done Her Wrong (1930), The Mysterious Underground Men also provides a rare glimpse into the diverse Western sources of young Tezuka's imagination. Printed in the manga's original color and size, this is the first English translation of the book.

$24.95

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD AFTERMATH #12

1936130207?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936130219?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936131700?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) David Hine (A) Tomas Aira (CA) Matt Martin

The end is here as DAVID HINE tells the final bloody chapter in the Night of the Living Dead: Aftermath story. The excessive 1970s have given way to the dawn of the undead. Zombies have overrun the defenses that held them in check and turned major American cities into shambling ghoul towns. We started our journey with the Las Vegas survivors and our tale of misery ends with them. Available with Regular cover by Matt Martin, Gore & Wraparound cover by German Erramousepe, and Terror Retailer Incentive cover also by Martin

$3.99

You know, the only movie that has ever scared me in my life was the original Night of the Living Dead, some 25 or 30 years ago.

And it didn't scare me as much as it unsettled me. With all other horror stories, I could always figure out the rules well enough to give myself a fighting chance -- or at least a head start to outrun the other guy, if you know what I mean. But with the original NotLD, my brain kept going 'round and 'round, trying to find a method to cope, a defense that would last, a plan that would allow me to live not only the night but on into the future -- and, obviously, I couldn't think of one. I watched that movie, and somewhere in the back of my head I heard the words "Game Over." And, boy, that bothered me!

That may explain why I like zombie apocalypse stories now. I still don't have a winning strategy, but I'm not a teenager any more, and don't expect one, so losing doesn't bother me as much. But I still like to play the game, I guess.

So I might like these books, should I ever see them. Hey, this is the original Kobiyashi Maru, and we all should face the "no-win scenario," at some point, right? Right.

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180PATHFINDER SPECIAL #1

1936134017?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Jim Zubkavich (A) Kevin Stokes (CA) Carlos E. Gomez

Magnimar is a city of mythic architecture and colorful occupants. When Merisiel and Kyra decide to 'hit the town' and explore their new home, they end up with more trouble than they bargained for - Cutthroat thieves, betrayal, swashbuckling swordplay and much more are found in this super-sized story that couldn't be contained in the regular Pathfinder series.

$4.99

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180PLANET OF THE APES: CATACLYSM VOL 2 TP

1936136265?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Corinna Bechko, Gabriel Hardman (A) Damian Couceiro (CA) Alex Ross

After the cataclysm that devastated Ape City, Doctor Zaius, his family, Cornelius, and Marcus are tasked with the difficult and often treacherous responsibility of rebuilding civilization. But what terror lies beneath the ruins? Ancient mysteries unfold and Ape City continues to crumble while Zaius' search for answers winds its way deeper into the unknown. Collecting issues 5of the critically acclaimed series.

$14.99

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180RACHEL RISING #21

1936136351?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ABSTRACT STUDIOS

(W/A/CA) Terry Moore

Manson is in flames as a blinding snowstorm freezes the little town like a corpse. Rachel's only chance of saving her hometown is to reclaim the box she buried 300 years ago - and now lies buried under a paved city street! The story of Lilith's revenge heats up in the latest issue of Terry Moore's horror thriller!

$3.99

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180RED SONJA #5

1936138821?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936141254?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936143877?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936145989?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Gail Simone (A) Walter Geovanni (CA) Becky Cloonan

Red Sonja, still recovering from her near-death ordeal, leads a small band of rebels in a stealth war against the invading armada, while the supreme dealer of death Dark Annisia returns to wreak havoc on Sonja's small band of allies! Blood, lust and vengeance surround Red Sonja as she faces her ultimate foe!

$3.99

I didn't realize this book was written by Gail Simone! Is anybody reading this? Any thoughts or recommendations?

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180REGULAR SHOW #6

1936148435?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Jeremy Lawson, Pranas T. Naujokaitis (A) Jeremy Lawson, Brad McGinty (CA) Jarrett Williams, Kelly Bastow

The start of a new arc! Join Mordecai and Rigby at the start of another adventure...this time, with pizza puppies? A fun-loving series for anyone who loves slacker humor and a variety of rad artists putting their spin on popular characters! Great for both rad kids AND rad adults!

$3.99

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180RING OF THE SEVEN WORLDS HC

1936150309?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

(W) Gionvanni Gualdoni, Gabriele Clima (A/CA) Matteo Piana

An epic fantasy adventure for fans of the steampunk works of Katsuhiro Otomo and Hayao Miyazaki. Made up of seven worlds linked to one another by a giant ring, the Empire of the Seven Worlds enjoys peace and prosperity until one of the transdimensional doors unleashes an ancient enemy of the Empire. It is now up to Luce and Timo, a pair of star-crossed teenagers, to save them all.

$29.95

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180SCENE BUT NOT HEARD HC

1936150604?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TOP SHELF PRODUCTIONS

(W/A/CA) Sam Henderson

Sam Henderson is the Ignatz-nominated creator of Magic Whistle, Emmy-nominated writer and storyboard artist for SpongeBob SquarePants,.and also the nutty mind behind "Scene But Not Heard," the longest-running feature in the history of Nickelodeon Magazine! Now all those strips - the hilarious, wordless adventures of a man and a bear - are collected all in one handsome hardcover. Just try and keep up with Sam's wild imagination!

$14.95

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180SERUSIS #3

1936152715?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

(W) Tom Hutchison (A/CA) Owen Gieni

An unlikely group of friends sets out on their mission to restore peace to the planet Serusis. But with Relitons swarming the planet, the likelihood of achieving their goal is remote at best.

$3.50

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHADOW #19

1936153935?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936154087?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936154426?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936157281?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Chris Roberson (A) Giovanni Timpano (CA) Jason Shawn Alexander

A voice from the past raises questions that the Shadow cannot answer, and leads him away from the concrete canyons of New York City on a journey that will carry him halfway round the world, from the snowy wastes of Siberia to the steaming jungles of Guatemala. What is the secret of the girasol?

$3.99

I'm beginning to think I would enjoy a monthly book of nothing but Shadow covers.

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180SIMPSONS WINTER WINGDING #8 $4.99

1936159458?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BONGO COMICS

(W) Max Davison (A) Shane Houghton, J. Torres (CA) Jason Ho, Mike Rote

Mr. Burns turns into a holiday Scrooge, stiffing his staff on their Christmas bonuses - that is, unless Homer's Simpsons staged sit-in has any chance of paying off. Then, Homer is intent on making sure the whole family enjoys and stays awake for the Springfield Holiday Parade. And when the Duff Cola polar bears escape from their float, the Springfield Bear Patrol must spring into action! Finally, after squandering all the holiday gift money again, Homer resorts a do-it-yourself Christmas much to his family's dismay.

$4.99

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180STAR WARS VERY VADER VALENTINE'S DAY SC $6.99

1936159754?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: SCHOLASTIC INC.

(W) Trey King (A) Katie Cook, Katie Cook

A quirky Valentine's Day-themed activity book filled with Star Wars comics, games, and thirty-six perforated Valentine cards! Includes sixteen pages of jokes, comics, activities, and mini-bios about famous Star Wars friendships. And when you're done, tear out the thirty-six perforated Valentine's Day cards to share with your friends and loved ones: "You R2 Good to Me!"

$6.99

Hey, does DH know about this? The nerve!

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180STEED & MRS PEEL VOL 2: SECRET HISTORY OF SPACE TP

1936161867?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Caleb Monroe (A) Yasmin Liang (CA) Joseph Michael Linsner

Caleb Monroe and Yasmin Liang bring you all-stories of the original Avengers, as the super-duo face a murderous conductor, crack the case of the Suicide Town, and get into a literal race against time.

$14.99

Wait ... can they not call these guys "The Avengers" any more? If so, that would make me sad.

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180STITCHED #17 (MR) $3.99

1936163884?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936164107?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936164150?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) Mike Wolfer (A/CA) Fernando Heinz Furukawa

The once-undisputed Yakuza rulers of Tokyo's Harajuku District find themselves the victims of unexplainable ambushes. They are being killed and transformed into a stealth strike force of undead, bloodthirsty Stitched! In league with the shadowy "Nameless One" who has brought the supernatural magic of the Stitched from the Middle East, businessman Kenji Nakamura's dream of revenge on the villainous Shinju-kai is about to be realized. Available with a Regular, Wraparound, Gore, and special Slashed Incentive cover by series artist Fernando Furukawa.

$3.99

This is the third month of these horrific, God-awful covers. And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me if the insides are just as terrifying-slash-gross. Well, Legionnaires? I'm waiting!

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUNNY HC VOL 02 $22.99

1936164282?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Taiyo Matsumoto

What is Sunny? Sunny is a car. Sunny is a car you take on a drive with your mind. It takes you to the place of your dreams. It is the story of beating the odds, in the ways that count, for a group of orphans who discover the car and let it take them to better places in their imagination. Sunny is the brand-new masterwork from Eisner Award-winner Taiyo Matsumoto, one of Japan's most innovative and acclaimed manga artists. Age Rating: M

$22.99

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• TUNE VOL 2: STILL LIFE GN

1936114935?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ST. MARTINS PRESS

(W) Derek Kirk Kim (A) Les McClaine (CA) Derek Kirk Kim

Our hapless hero Andy Go is settling into life in an alien zoo as one of the exhibits. It's not so bad: the food is good, and his environment is a perfect copy of his house back on Earth. But everything falls to pieces when Andy realizes he's been tricked: there will be no weekend visits back to Earth, as he was promised, and his contract doesn't last one year - it lasts a lifetime!

$16.99

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNFORGOTTEN HC

1936115120?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PUTNAM PUBLISHING GROUP

(W/A/CA) Tohby Riddle

A timely and timeless tale of breathtaking beauty and humble humanity. Nobody knows where they come from. But they come. Impossible birds of the big sky and the long night. So begins this timely and timeless story, told in magnificent images and words by master storyteller, Tohby Riddle. A triumph of quiet beauty.

$19.95

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180VALERIAN VOL 5: BIRDS OF THE MASTER GN

1936115378?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CINEBOOK

(W) Pierre Christen (A/CA) Jean-Claude Mezieres

The most terrifying birds since Alfred Hitchcock's! Valerian and Laureline's ship has crash-landed on an uncharted planetoid. The two castaways quickly discover a vast ship cemetery, leading them to believe that their arrival was not an accident. Before long, they make contact with a population whose sole purpose seems to be to gather and produce food for a mysterious "Master." The Terran agents aren't going to be turned into slaves easily, but the Master enforces his will through his terrible agents: the Birds of Madness.

$11.95

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180WALLY WOOD EERIE TALES OF CRIME & HORROR DLX SLIPCASED NEW PRINTING $69.95

1936115577?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VANGUARD PRODUCTIONS

(W) Various (A/CA) Wally Wood

The official Wally Wood Classics series follows the hit Strange Worlds of Science Fiction with Eerie Tales of Crime & Horror, collecting the complete non-EC 1950's crime and horror comics of Hall of Fame Weird Science, Daredevil, Mars Attacks, and MAD co-creator, Wallace Wood. The regular hardcover edition runs 176 pages, while the deluxe slipcased edition is 200 pages, as it features a bonus folio section not part of the regular hardcover edition.

$69.95

Apparently Vanguard has found a money-maker here. Maybe they deserve it for publishing the first biography of Wally Wood I ever saw, Wally's World. It wasn't very good, I hasten to add, but it exists. So maybe they deserve to make money off Wood's non-copyrighted work.

Which is what this is -- work not owned by EC, MAD, Marvel, DC, etc. Which means it's mostly material that Woody did before he joined EC, circa 1951. (There is one 1959 story that is the only one after 1950.) And since he became a pro in the late 1940s, that means this is some of his earliest professional work -- and therefore not his best. Some of it is barely recognizable as Wally Wood art, either because he just wasn't "Wally Wood" yet, or because someone with a heavy hand inked him.

Anyway, you could pass on this book and not miss anything, despite Vanguard publishing it in every conceivable variation, from slipcase-hardback to 12-ounce cans. Then again, maybe you could, but I love me some Wally Wood, and I can't. I've got the book already, proudly on the bookshelf next to my EC Archives.

Hey, it's Wally Wood. THE Wally Wood. Accept no substitutes!

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180WARLORD OF MARS #29

1936117813?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936117975?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Arvid Nelson (A) Leandro Oliveira (CA) Joe Jusko, Lucio Parrillo

John Carter and the mighty Tars Tarkas at last uncover the shadowy forces attempting to plunge Mars into a global war.

Unfortunately, they do so by blundering face-first into a trap!

But their enemies don't want them dead - not right away. A terrible revelation awaits our heroes in Warlord of Mars #29: Yellow Supremacy, the thrilling penultimate installment of the "Savages of Mars" story arc!

$3.99

This is the only Barsoom book from Dynamite that doesn't put Dejah Thoris' bodacious ta-tas front and center on every cover. Does anybody know why?

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180WASTELAND #50

1936119991?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

(W) Antony Johnston (A) Justin Greenwood (CA) Christopher Mitten

FINAL NEWBEGIN ARC CONTINUES! The streets of the Artisian district run red with blood, as the branded man's quest comes to an end. All shall be judged... and many found wanting. Who will survive? Is there any mercy in Marcus' mysterious father? And just how is one noble in particular going to escape the city...?

$3.99

1936115083?profile=RESIZE_180x180WESTWOOD WITCHES #3

1936120196?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AMIGO COMICS

(W) El Torres (A/CA) Abel Garcia

The Witches's Sabbath went awfully wrong. Now one of the demon-worshippers is dead, and Jack knows the truth about his beautiful-yet-deadly neighbors. With their spells failing, the witches have no choice but to ask the Oracle, their former friend that became mad due to Baphomet's revelations.

$3.99

I have a few review copies from Amigo, and most of them are fun-loving, kinda happy books. This is "one of these things is not like the other" moments for me. Where did this come from?

• Captain Comics said:

1801213984?profile=RESIZE_180x180CAGE OF EDEN VOL 12 GN

1936138583?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Yoshinobu Yamada

What was supposed to be humanity's last stronghold has crumbled without a trace, and the school kids are under siege by three different kinds of extinct creatures! With their backs against the wall, the real Miina suddenly reveals the creatures' specific weaknesses - details no modern human being should know! Is she telling the truth, or bluffing? Akira will decide which - and bet his own life!

$10.99

I've made a lot of jokes about manga in this forum, but honestly, I know that manga isn't any one thing. It isn't even a genre -- it's a medium. And that medium allows for all sort of styles and genres and stories, from children's material to the weirdest sort of porn.

And I wish American comics was a medium with subject matter that covered that much ground.

But I have to say that this, here, is the kind of thing I joke about. I have no idea what the story is about, but the cover alone is asking me to view pubescent girls -- or possibly pre-pubescent girls -- in a sexual manner. And that just creeps me out.

Maybe that's normal in Japan (I don't know), but it's not normal here. I was raised in a culture with a serious taboo about child sex, and I am grossed out by material represented by the cover above.

And I joke because I am uncomfortable.

Maybe it's me, Skipper, but I don't find that cover all that "sexual", myself. It's just two girls standing next to each other, dressed relatively mundanely, especially by manga standards.

As for From the New World,  I'm pretty sure that is meant to be about teenagers. 

Oh, My Goddess is one of those stories that I've heard alot about, but that I've never gotten into. I'm not really that eager to get into another manga that's forty-odd volumes long.

I read the Asterix books when I was a kid and enjoyed them immensely. I've heard a couple of theories as to why they've never hit it big int he U.S. - the humor is too "European",  Americans aren't familiar enough with the historical setting, since we're the "new Rome", naturally a book where the Romans are getting bashed all the time wouldn't appeal to us. Who knows? I liked them.

While I've enjoyed some of the later Romero movies, when I go back and watch the original Night of the Livign Dead now, I find it kind of boring.
  • DAREDEVIL: Daredevil is coming to an end the same month as Fantastic Four, FF and Hawkeye (all of Marvel titles I currently read). Is there a big editorial “restart” in the works? Could be a good “jumping off point” for me.

VELVET: What he said.

SPY VS. SPY: I agree. The feature shouls have died with Prohias.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN EPIC COLLECTION: COSMIC ADVENTURES TPB: This is the storyline that was running when I dropped the Spider-titles for a couple of years. I don’t have any greater desire to read it now than I did then.

F4/FF: I’ve been reading/enjoying this series right alone. It’s as good as any FF that’s not by Lee/Kirby or John Byrne.

This reply was deleted.