Comics Guide for November 11, 2015

DARK HORSE COMICS

ARCHIE ARCHIVES: PROM PRANKS AND OTHER STORIES (TPB)

Writer/Penciller: BOB MONTANA

Inks/Colors: Various

FC, 240 pages, $19.99, TPB, 7" x 10"

Dark Horse and Archie Comic Publications present the archive library series everyone’s talking about—now in bargain-priced trade paperback! The earliest, hardest-to-find stories in the history of Archie comics can now be read and enjoyed in full color, from Archie’s budding romances with Betty and Veronica to his antics at Riverdale High. This volume collects all Archie stories from Pep Comics #22–38, Jackpot Comics #4–8, and Archie Comics #1–2.

Over 200 pages of full-color laughs—value priced!

“Dark Horse’s dedication to restoring these issues to full color and clarity preserves the Archie world for all of us to enjoy.”—Crave Online

This is the identical material reprinted in the hardback Archie Archives Vol. 1. I don't know why they gave this TPB a subhead instead of a volume number, but I'd guess they're aiming this at the non-collector market.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

THE GOON LIBRARY VOLUME 1 (HC)

Writer/Art/Cover: ERIC POWELL

FC, 496 pages, $39.99

HC, 8" x 12 3/16"

Grab a fistful of Goon!

For 15 years Eric Powell’s THE GOON has been one of the most celebrated indie comic book series, beloved by fans and creators alike for its bold creativity, classic style and whiskey-fueled humor. Dark Horse Comics is providing the high end, hardcover treatment the series deserves when they publish the THE GOON LIBRARY EDITION Volume One ($39.95; November 11, 2015) collecting The Goon: Rough Stuff (vol. 0), Nothin’ but Misery (vol. 1), My Murderous Childhood (vol. 2), Heaps of Ruination (vol. 3).

“Eric Powell is one of comics’ shining lights and The Goon is one of our industry’s greatest creations,” said Dark Horse Comics President & Publisher Mike Richardson. "I’ve had a blast reading his adventures over the years  and we’re thrilled that next year we’ll be celebrating the publication of fifty issues of his iconic character here at Dark Horse Comics.”

“Why publish Library Editions? Well, they’re bigger and heavier than the regular trades and they have hard covers. That means it will hurt more when you hit someone in the head with it.,” said THE GOON creator Eric Powell. “Plus, I wanna make bank bro. I need a Range Rover.”

“The new GOON series ONCE UPON A HARD TIME is a genuine game changer for the series. It’ll make February a VERY good month for THE GOON,” said Scott Allie, Dark Horse Editor-in-Chief. “Eric’s paying off things that have been in place since the very beginning, so it’s the perfect time for a deluxe hardcover edition of the early stories, both for Powell fanatics and casual readers who will want to see what all the buzz is about and where all the madness started.”

ABOUT THE GOON: LIBRARY EDITION Volume One: Lonely Street comes under all manner of threats both tragic and hilarious in this deluxe hardcover edition of The Goon. The Nameless Man, the Zombie Priest, has come to town to build a gang from the undead. Yet even with an unlimited supply of soldiers, the Priest cannot move in on the territory controlled by the crime boss Labrizio and his unstoppable enforcer—the Goon. But when the Priest discovers Goon’s most closely held secret the balance of power threatens to change forever! Collects The Goon volumes 0-3.

“A wild ride filled with imagination, intrigue, horror and laughs.”—Ain’t It Cool News

“The Goon is old-school cool—a great, gurgling gumbo of EC Comics horror, Monty Python wit and 1930s pulp.”—Entertainment Weekly

“A true American original—a delirious medley of strange characters, stranger creatures, wild-ass (and often truly creepy) storytelling, art so excellent and perfectly matched to the tone of his stories as to be flabbergasting, and writing so hilarious that it sometimes comes close to making me pee my pants.”—Frank Darabont, director

“The product of a contentedly demented mind.”—Comic Book Resources

“The Goon has earned [Powell] a seat at the table with Kirby, Eisner, Chester Gould, Hal Foster and Al Feldstein.”—Joe Hill (Locke & Key)

“Eric Powell’s great series The Goon deftly combines lowbrow humor with unexpected emotional depth in its ongoing story of a big, not-so-dumb guy who does battle with zombies in a town seemingly dreamt up by Tom Waits.”—The A.V. Club

“Eric Powell has created a sharp, witty little monster comic with a very interesting mystery at its heart. And Eric can draw as well as anyone in the business. When zombies are overrunning the city, there’s only one man tough enough to keep the undead in line: Eric Powell’s THE GOON.”—Jeff Smith (creator of Bone)

“Every panel [is] gorgeously detailed, like a Max Fleischer cartoon if Cthulhu spat some sort of hellish bile all over it.”—IGN

“There’s a certain joy knowing that a cartoonist of great skill is filling his or her own comic with the elements they love . . . The appeal is how Powell conveys that enthusiasm by drawing every creature and monster so darned well.”—Publishers Weekly

“If this is your first time [reading The Goon], you are in for a treat—if not, you already know how lucky you are.”—David Fincher, director

“Tremendously entertaining ... a highly enjoyable blend of pulp horror and slapstick comedy.”—Fangoria

“Bursts with fisticuffs, gore, bad attitude and running character gags . . . Prime ghastly fun.”—Booklist

“A comic for readers who like a generous helping of comedy with their hordes of zombies.”—New York Daily News

“Comicdom’s new hero is a fighting machine with a curious affinity for kicking serious ghoul butt. We hear the Hulk’s green with envy.”—Entertainment Weekly

"Powell has done something truly special with the art and made Goon more captivating than ever.” —AiPT!

"The action flows so cohesively from one panel to the next, you're engaged from the first smashed window.” —Nerds on the Rocks

Boy, that's a lot of PR! I've always enjoyed The Goon -- a combination of "EC Comics horror, Monty Python wit, and 1930s pulp," as Entertainment Weekly says above. But I've never been moved to regularly read/collect the series. Maybe this attractive HC series will be what gives me the final push!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

REBELS #8

Writer: BRIAN WOOD

Art: ARIELA KRISTANTINA, ANDREA MUTTI

Colors: JORDIE BELLAIRE

Cover: TULA LOTAY

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Ongoing

Two standalone stories in this issue! Meet Silence Bright, “Liberty’s Daughter,” who runs an underground print shop in occupied Boston in a tale with art by guest artist Ariela Kristantina (Deep State). Main series artist Andrea Mutti returns with “Occupation,” a Seth Abbott story set during the Great Fire of New York that touches on a topic new to Rebels: the freed slaves who fought on the British side.

Artist Ariela Kristantina joins the fight!

“It’s a standout in the historical comic genre.”—Newsarama

I didn't have time to read this issue this week, the launch of a new storyline. But Wood hasn't made a misstep in this series yet, so I'm looking forward to it.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DC COMICS

LOONEY TUNES VARIANTS

This week's variant covers featuring Looney Tunes characters include (from left) Batman #46, Batman/Superman #26, Catwoman #46 and Starfire #6. (The fifth cover is Teen Titans #13, a horror-themed variant cover held over from October.) Three of those made me laugh: Sylvester and Tweety homaging Dark Knight Returns #3; Tweety seeing a REALLY BIG puddy-tat; and Pepe le Pew in the unfamiliar position of being sexually harassed, instead of being the harasser.

DARKSEID WAR

This week's "Darkseid War" books:

JUSTICE LEAGUE: GODS AND MEN – GREEN LANTERN #1

Written by TOM KING

Art by EVAN “DOC” SHANER

Cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

ADVANCE SOLICIT • ONE-SHOT • On sale NOVEMBER 4 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

With the Green Lantern Corps threatened by a strange extinction-level event on Oa, only Hal Jordan and John Stewart remain to save the Corps-—and themselves—from joining Darkseid’s army forever!

JUSTICE LEAGUE: GODS AND MEN – SHAZAM! #1

Written by STEVE ORLANDO

Art by SCOTT KOLINS

Cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

ADVANCE SOLICIT • ONE-SHOT • On sale NOVEMBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

A boy becomes an army of Gods! No longer does Billy Batson have access to the powers of the Old Gods. Now, he commands the combined might of Highfather, Mantis and other New Gods. But these Gods are not passive. And they will sooner destroy Billy than give up control of their power.

CATWOMAN #46

Written by GENEVIEVE VALENTINE

Art by DAVID MESSINA

Cover by KEVIN WADA

LOONEY TUNES variant cover by DARWYN COOKE and Warner Bros. Animation

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

This issue will ship with two covers.

As Eiko abandons the role of Catwoman, Selina’s list of friends is growing perilously short. And when one of the Calabreses is in danger, she must decide what to save: her family or Gotham City! Will her closest ally become her greatest nemesis in this shocking conclusion?

Evidently, as we've discussed elsewhere, this Eiko person is the girl with whom Selina has revealed her bisexuality to the reader. (I'm assuming she knew about it most of her life, and just didn't tell us till now.)

I usually kick up a fuss when a character who's been around a long time is radically changed, or even just suddenly has a best friend we've never heard about. (I'm looking at you, Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark. Tommy Elliott and Tyler Stone were NOT your best friends, because you never mentioned them for decades!) But in this case it makes sense. If there's one comics character who refuses to be pigeonholed as one thing or another, it's Catwoman. That her sexuality reflects her personality is no surprise.

DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #4

Written by MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art by BILQUIS EVELY, MIRKO ANDOLFO and MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Cover by ANT LUCIA

40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

Shipping twice in November! In a London hospital, a strange patient has a message for Dr. Harleen Quinzel … one that leads the doctor to hijack a plane out of the city! And, Supergirl and Stargirl lead a bombing raid, only to discover a terrible secret that leaves them questioning their loyalties. Plus, Batwoman arrives in Italy where she encounters Contessa Selina Digatti—a.k.a. the Catwoman!

Slim Pickens should sue! Riding a bomb is HIS thing!

DC COMICS PRESENTS: SUPERMAN – LOIS AND CLARK 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #1

Written by DAN JURGENS, KARL KESEL, DAVID MICHELINIE, LOUISE SIMONSON, ROGER STERN and others

Art by DAN JURGENS, JERRY ORDWAY, RON FRENZ, TOM GRUMMETT, JON BOGDANOVE, STUART IMMONEN and others

Cover by TBA

96 pg, FC, $7.99 US

It’s the 1990s epic in which Clark Kent and Lois Lane tied the knot, featuring stories and art by some of greatest Superman storytellers of all time! Guest-starring Batman, Mr. Mxyzptlk and more!

Here's an epic amount of pages ... about characters who really don't exist any more.

SLASH & BURN #1

Written by SI SPENCER

Art by MAX DUNBAR and ANDE PARKS

Cover by TULA LOTAY

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

Another day, another hot date. Firefighter Rosheen Hayes takes her relationships with conflagration seriously, whether it’s the trigger-happy burn victim with his sights on her partner or a chance encounter igniting memories of arson at the orphanage. But is she the super-sleuth fire-whisperer or twisted firestarter?

This new ongoing series from writer Si Spencer has all the mystery and intrigue of his hit Vertigo miniseries BODIES, with art by Max Dunbar (Dungeons & Dragons) and veteran inker Ande Parks (The Irredeemable Ant-Man), SLASH & BURN is a tricky thriller that explores both the excitement and the consequences of succumbing to one’s darkest impulses.

Another new Vertigo series worth checking out.

SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN #1

Written by MAX LANDIS

Art by NICK DRAGOTTA

Cover by RYAN SOOK

1:25 Variant cover by NICK DRAGOTTA

32 pg, FC, 1 of 7, $3.99 US • RATED T+

Hollywood screenwriter and Eisner Award nominee Max Landis (Chronicle, American Ultra, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN) joins forces with top comics artists including Jock, Francis Manapul and Jae Lee to bring you SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN, a 7-issue miniseries chronicling the life of Clark Kent and his development into the archetypal hero he will eventually become. But these are not the stories of the iconic “Superman” as you know him, but of the soft-spoken, charming, often-funny Kansas farm-boy behind the Man of Steel. With the tone of each issue ranging from heartwarming and simple, to frighteningly gritty and violent, to sexy, sun-kissed and funny, SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN is unlike anything you’ve seen before.

In this first issue, superstar artist Nick Dragotta (East of West, Fantastic Four) illustrates the story of Jonathan and Martha Kent as they struggle to deal with their 12-year-old son’s latest quirk—he’s been floating up into the air, sometimes hundreds of feet!

This should be interesting, especially since we haven't seen the formative years of the current Superman.

CLICK HERE FOR A PREVIEW!

IDW PUBLISHING

DRONES (TPB)

Writer: CHRIS LEWIS

Art: BRUNO OLIVEIRA

Cover: RAMON VILLALOBOS

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 136 pages

Join pilots Stinger and Angel Eyes for a wild night in Las Vegas’ finest terrorism-themed hotel. Collecting all five issues of the hit miniseries, this book is a satirical look at a world in which terror and entertainment have begun to blur.

I haven't read any of this, but that cover is vaguely European, and therefore intriguing.

HERB TRIMPE'S THE INCREDIBLE HULK ARTIST'S EDITION HC—SPOTLIGHT

Writers: ROY THOMAS, GERRY CONWAY

Art/Cover: HERB TRIMPE

HC • BW • $75.00 net discount item • 144 Pages • 12" x 17"

Herb Trimpe was one of the premier artists working for Marvel in the 1960s and 1970s. His extended run on The Hulk is a high point for many fans of Bruce Banner's rampaging alter ego, with masterful inks by both Trimpe and John Severin. This Artist's Edition features at least five complete stories by Trimpe and an incredible cover gallery to boot!

The Li'l Capn really disliked Trimpe's work, and age hasn't changed my opinion. But I'm sure there are some Trimpe fans out there, and if you're one of them, here you go.

WALT KELLY'S FAIRYTALES

Writer/Art/Cover: WALT KELLY

HC • FC • $39.99 • 304 pages • 8.5” x 11”

Walt Kelly, Disney animator on Dumbo, Fantasia, Snow White and Pinocchio and the creator of the Pogo comic strip, created beautiful action-packed fairy tale comic book stories from his own incredible imagination and ones based on The Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson classics.

Comic fans of all ages will thrill to stories of witches, princesses, giants, dragons, fairy queens, elves and goblins. Enjoy fairy tale classics like The Emperor’s New Clothes, The Gingerbread Man, The Wise Men of Gotham, The Lost Prince, and Cinderella (published eight years before the Disney Classic) in this gorgeous collection.

• R. Crumb praised this period of Walt Kelly’s work: “Love Kelly! Love his early stuff. I still actually like to read the early Kelly stuff – late '40s, early '50s … I still greatly admire Kelly’s work!”

• Bill Watterson has exclaimed, “It is certainly likely that Kelly's experience as a Disney animator taught him the comic potential of visual liveliness!”

• Introduction by Kelly-fan animator and beloved illustrator Dean Yeagle.

Man, this looks awesome.

IMAGE COMICS

DOUBLE D BOOK 1 OGN

Story: EDDIE ARGOS

Art: STEVEN HORRY

152 PAGES / FC / T+ / $9.99

After the official Worst Day Ever, overweight bully magnet Danny Carter discovers he can use his excess body mass to fuel superpowers. Obviously he's going to be a superhero and fight crime, but when you're fifteen years old and you live in the suburbs it's not quite as easy as expected...

Written by EDDIE ARGOS, singer and lyricist of critically-acclaimed classic rock band Art Brut, with art by STEVEN HORRY, colors by DAVID COOPER, and lettering by COLIN BELL.

To coincide with the release of the graphic novel, Eddie and Steven have—alongside musicians Mark Heffernan and Grant Purser—recorded a soundtrack album, which will be released on Post/Pop Records in late November/early December.

The marriage of comics and pop music is attempted again. I bet it doesn't work out any better than the other three million times it's been tried.

THE GODDAMNED #1

Story: JASON AARON

Art: R.M. GUÉRA & GIULIA BRUSCO

Cover A: R.M. GUÉRA & GIULIA BRUSCO

Cover B: JOCK

Cover C: JASON LATOUR

40 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

"And the earth was filled with violence." -- Genesis 6:11

SOUTHERN BASTARDS writer Jason Aaron, artist R.M. Guerra of Scalped, and colorist Giulia Brusco turn their attention to … The Bible in THE GODDAMNED.

Before the great flood, the world is filled with violence and wickedness. In just a couple thousand years, humanity has gone from paradise to depravity and ruin. God is beginning to seriously regret having ever created man in the first place.

Welcome to the world of THE GODDAMNED, an all-new, ongoing series to launch from Image Comics in November 2015. Set just before the Biblical flood, in a world so out of control with violence and depravity, God is just about to pull the plug. “It's part caveman adventure story, part stark and brutal western,” said Aaron. “And did I mention there are dinosaurs? Imagine if Quentin Tarantino was hired to direct the movie version of the book of Genesis. That's pretty much what we're aiming for.”

This is officially weird enough to be a must-try.

LIMBO #1

Story: DAN WATTERS

Art: CASPAR WIJNGAARD

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

A detective with no memory, no identity, and no manners. A femme fatale seeking escape from a powerful crime lord. A voodoo queen with a penchant for mixtapes and hi-tops. A goat-eating TV...

Welcome to Dedande City, where good people check under their beds at night and reality is never quite what it seems.

A NEW surreal neon-noir series crossing '50s pulp with an '80s VHS visual aesthetic, drawing from the likes of Carpenter, Cronenberg and Lynch.

Another new Image book! It's an embarrassment of riches. But do you think anybody under the age of 40 is going to recognize that object on the cover?

MYTHIC #5

Story: PHIL HESTER

Art: JOHN MCCREA, GERARDO ZAFFINO, & MICHAEL SPICER

Cover: JOHN MCCREA & RIAN HUGHES

24 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

The origin of Killer of Enemies.

That's just not subtle at all. I'm surprised they resisted drawing a target on her crotch.

MARVEL COMICS

ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT AVENGERS #1

Written by MARK WAID

Art by ADAM KUBERT & MAHMUD ASRAR

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Variant Covers by MAHMUD ASRAR and LUCHIANO VECCHIO

Hip Hop Variant by JIM CHEUNG

Vintage Variant, Vintage Sketch Variant by ALEX ROSS

Kirby Monster Variant by JACK KIRBY

Inhumans 50th Anniversary Variant by CLIFF CHIANG

40 PGS / RATED T+ / $4.99

Eight months have passed since the end of Secret Wars. The Avengers as you knew them are no more. But when a warlord from beyond the stars sets his sights on Earth – fate will draw together a new team, to fight the foes no single hero could withstand.

Tony Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man, returns to lead an all-new and all-different team Avengers – Captain America [Sam Wilson], Thor [Jane Foster], Vision, and the unlikeliest of heroes – Miles Morales, a.k.a. Spider-Man, Nova and Ms. Marvel!  Today, Marvel is pleased to announce ALL-NEW ALL-DIFFERENT AVENGERS #1 – a new ongoing series from blockbuster writer Mark Waid (Daredevil, S.H.I.E.L.D.) and artistic duties from Adam Kubert (Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows) and Mahmud Asrar (All-New X-Men).

Kicking off the new series, writer Mark Waid plans no training period and a baptismal by chaos and WAR! “As faithful NOVA readers will recognize, the main villain in our first story – Warbringer - has strong ties to Sam Alexander [a.k.a. Nova], but does Sam dare confess this to the team after the havoc Warbringer wreaks in New York City?​”

Waid also plans to place hurdle after hurdle in front of this new team including a challenge a majority of people have to deal with every day – financial responsibility. “One of the Avengers' often-undiscussed ‘superpowers’ has always been Tony Stark's boundless fortune. As readers of Brian Bendis's upcoming INVINCIBLE IRON MAN will see, Tony can no longer be the team's sole financial resource--meaning that our Avengers will have to operate a little more modestly and with limits to their resources, making their battles even more challenging.”

The Avengers assemble this fall for a team that will truly live up to the name the series title implicitly states that is all-new, all-different, and like no other Avengers team ever. “This team is a group of characters that you’ve never seen operate together before, no matter how long you may have been reading comics, and yet it’s also a team that upholds the Avengers’ traditions—there’s nobody among these characters that you look at and feel hasn’t earned their place on the team or in the spotlight, the way some past Avengers occasionally have,” says Marvel Executive Editor Tom Brevoort.  “And it’s possibly the most real-world reflective Avengers team of all time, with only a single white male to be found amidst the membership rolls.”

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

At last, some Avengers I recognize! Of course, Captain America is black now, and Thor is a woman, and Spider-Man is a kid from a dead universe. But, hey, I'm not the same guy I was 10 years ago, either. Sign me up!

ALL-NEW HAWKEYE #1

Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art & Cover by RAMÓN PÉREZ

Variant Covers by MIKE GRELL

Hip-Hop Variant by SANFORD GREENE

Kirby Monster Variant by JEFF LEMIRE

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

This November, Hawkeye and Hawkeye are back and they’re right on target once again! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look inside ALL-NEW HAWKEYE #1 from the critically acclaimed creative team of Jeff Lemire (Extraordinary X-Men) and Ramón Pérez (Amazing Spider-Man: Learning to Crawl)! But it’s not all straight as an arrow for Clint and Kate. A deep-seeded rift now exists between these long-time partners. One that stretches across many years. Reluctantly reunited in the future, old man Clint and a wiser Kate must unite once more – to chase down the mistakes of their past. But is their turbulent trip down memory lane short lived? Be there as the all-star Hawkeye team returns for another bullseye in ALL-NEW HAWKEYE #1!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEWS!

Wait, the last series isn't over yet, is it? Yikes, I've fallen behind!

And I have to take issue with the term "long-time partners." They haven't been hanging out together very long in real time (much less comic book time), and calling them "partners" is a bit of stretch.

ALL-NEW WOLVERINE #1

Written by TOM TAYLOR

Art by DAVID LOPEZ & DAVID NAVARROT

Cover by BENGAL

Variant Cover by DAVID LOPEZ, DAVID MARQUEZ, ART ADAMS

Design Variant by DAVID LOPEZ

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Hip-Hop Variant by KERON GRANT

Blank Cover Also Available

40 PGS / Parental Advisory / $4.99

This November, Laura Kinney embraces her destiny. No longer X-23. No longer the weapon they built her to be. Here comes Wolverine! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look at ALL-NEW WOLVERINE #1 – the new ongoing series from writer Tom Taylor with art by David Lopez & David Navarrot! She was created to destroy. But with the help of her mentor and friend Logan – the original Wolverine – she has moved beyond her dark past. Logan may have fallen, but Laura will honor his memory by taking up the mantle and following in his footsteps as a hero. And she’ll stop at nothing to protect those around her from the forces of evil. She’s the best there is at what she does. She is the All-New Wolverine! And her story is just getting started.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEWS!

I guess male Wolverine will remain dead in the new Marvel U (except for the Festus version), at least for a while. What the heck, I never liked him much anyway.

And I might as well mention that the third cover above is an homage to the last page of Incredible Hulk #180, the first appearance of Wolverine.

CARNAGE #1

Written by GERRY CONWAY

Art by MIKE PERKINS

Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Hip-Hop Variant by ARIEL OLIVETTI

Variant Cover by MIKE PERKINS

This November, the symbiote psychopath and most dangerous serial killer in the Marvel Universe is back in CARNAGE #1! Legendary writer Gerry Conway (Amazing Spider-Man: Spiral) and artist Mike Perkins (Deathlok) take you on a descent into madness as Cletus Kasady leaves a trail of bodies in his wake. But the FBI is hot on his trail. A specially equipped team comprised of military hero/astronaut John Jameson, a reformed Eddie Brock/Toxin and more – they’re ready to put an end to Carnage’s reign of terror once and for all. But when Carnage escapes into an abandoned coal mine, the FBI’s plan is starting to look like a trap … FOR THEM. Don’t miss the terrifying debut of the Marvel Universe’s most terrifying new tale in CARNAGE #1!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEWS!

I have long despised Carnage. The only way I'll ever accept this book is if it's played as straight horror or black comedy. And even then my interest would be tenuous.

ILLUMINATI #1

Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art by SHAWN CRYSTAL

Cover by RILEY ROSSMO

Variant Cover by PAUL POPE

Hip-Hop Variant by BRITTANY HOLLOWAY-BROWN

Kirby Monster Variant by JACK KIRBY

Bad guys win every day. And this November, that day has come for this team of villains. Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look at ILLUMINATI #1 – the new ongoing series from writer Joshua Williamson and artist Shawn Crystal! How do the villains of the Marvel Universe live in a world where the sky is constantly filled with heroes? What do they do when they want out of a life of crime? There is no way out. No future. Till now. Who saves the villains? The Hood does. And he wants everyone to have a place at the table. But first things first – he needs an army. With Titania, Mad Thinker, Thunderball, Black Ant and Enchantress at his side – the Hood might just have all the muscle he needs. They don’t want to just survive – they want to thrive. By any means necessary. Be there as a new team of villains is formed this November in ILLUMINATI #1!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEWS!

I find The Hood boring, but the concept might have legs. Beats the heck out of Secret Society of Super-Villains.

SECRET WARS #7 (OF 9)

Writer: JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art: ESAD RIBIC

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Connecting Variant by SIMONE BIANCHI

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Variant by STACEY LEE

Variant by ESAD RIBIC

Classic Variant by Paul Gulacy

56 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

THE GREATEST SACRIFICE!

Battleworld: I'm not dead yet!

Readers: Yes you are, your arm's off.

Battleworld: 'Tis but a flesh wound. Have at you!

Readers: You're a loony.

THE ULTIMATES #1

Written by AL EWING

Art & Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

Variant Covers by TERRY DODSON, ARTHUR ADAMS, SKOTTIE YOUNG

Hip-Hop Variant by MIKE DEODATO

Blank Variant Also Available

32 PGS / Parental Advisory / $3.99

This November, meet the heaviest of the heavy hitters as the ultimate superteam takes shape. Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at THE ULTIMATES #1 – the new ongoing series from writer Al Ewing and artist Kenneth Rocafort! Black Panther! Captain Marvel! Ms. America Chavez! Spectrum! Blue Marvel! Brought together to handle problems too big for the rest of Earth’s heroes! From cosmic forces lurking on Earth to what waits on the outside of the omniverse – the impossible is where they start! Their first target? Putting an end to Galactus, the devourer of worlds once and for all! This could get ugly. There’s a new superteam in town. Don’t miss their first blockbuster adventure this November in THE ULTIMATES #1!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

Well, that's one way to keep the trademark alive.

I don't quite buy that this team is "the heaviest of heavy hitters" without Thor or Hyperion or Silver Surfer or half a dozen more I could name. But it's Avengers I recognize, so I'll keep an open mind.

WEB WARRIORS #1

Written by MIKE COSTA

Art by DAVID BALDEON

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Variant Covers by SKOTTIE YOUNG, TRADD MOORE

And HUMBERTO RAMOS

Hip-Hop Variant by DAMION SCOTT

40 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

Protecting the Spider-Verse by any means necessary! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look at WEB WARRIORS #1 – the new ongoing series from writer Mike Costa (Scarlet Spiders) and artist David Baldeon (Nova)! Following the events of Spider-Verse, multiple realities were left without a Spider-Man of their own. Victims of Morlun and the Inheritors. But those worlds still need protecting, and it’s up to a new team of wallcrawlers and webslingers to swing in and save the day. Spider-Gwen! Spider-Man Noir! Spider-Man India! Spider-UK! Spider-Ham! Together, they are … the Web Warriors! From their home base on Earth-001, if your world needs help, they’ll be there! But when Electro threatens all of reality, this newly formed team will be pushed to their very limits. Is their mission over before it’s even begun? Find out this November as this universe-hopping team of webslingers makes their debut in WEB WARRIORS #1!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

What do you do with an army of Spider-people? Team them up, of course!

OTHER PUBLISHERS

AMAZING FANTASTIC INCREDIBLE: A MARVELOUS MEMOIR (GN)

Publisher: TOUCHSTONE

Writers: STAN LEE, PETER DAVID

Art/Cover: COLLEEN DORAN

TPB: $30.00 / Signed, Deluxe Edition: $250.00

In this gorgeously illustrated, full-color graphic memoir, Stan Lee - the comic book legend and co-creator of Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Avengers, the Incredible Hulk, and a legion of other Marvel superheroes - shares his iconic legacy and the story of how modern comics came to be. Stan Lee is a man who needs no introduction. He has been the leading creative force behind Marvel Comics, and has brought to life some of the world's best-known heroes and most infamous villains throughout his career. Lee put the human in superhuman and in doing so, created a new mythology for the twentieth century. In this beautifully illustrated graphic memoir, illustrated by Colleen Doran, Lee tells the story of his life with the same wit, energy, and offbeat spirit that he brought to the world of comics. Moving from his impoverished childhood in Manhattan to his early days writing comics, through his military training films during World War II and the rise of the Marvel empire in the 1960s to the current resurgence in movies, Amazing Fantastic Incredible documents the life of a man and the legacy of an industry and career. This funny, moving, and honest memoir is a must-have for collectors and fans of comic books and graphic novels of every age.

I didn't know anything about this book until BleedingCool posted an uncomfortable Twitter exchange between Colleen Doran (artist of this book) and Mark Evanier (author of Kirby: King of Comics). You can kinda guess why they don't see eye to eye.

ASHES: A FIREFIGHTERS TALE (GN)

Publisher: Z2 COMICS

Writer: MARIO CANDELARIA

Art/Cover: KARL SLOMINSKI

$19.99

Matt always had an easygoing life. Girls liked him, his friends were more like family, and being a firefighter came naturally. Then the accident happened. Now, after the loss of his leg, Matt struggles to cope with his new handicap as he attempts to rebuild his shattered family and once budding career. A riveting tale about perseverance, hard work, and overcoming the odds, Ashes is not to be missed.

I reviewed this in a recent column.

BLACK BAG #1

Publisher: LEGENDARY COMICS

Writer: CHRIS ROBERSON

Art:  J.B. BASTOS

Cover: DREW JOHNSON

$3.99

A suburban housewife with a criminal past and a thirst for adrenaline is about to get a top-secret side job: carrying out the government's most dangerous missions. Renear is tired of playing by the rules. A valedictorian and top athlete in her younger years, she's sacrificed a promising career to tie the knot and play house... isn't there more to life than this? Of course there is - if you're willing to take the shot. It's time the world found out what she is truly capable of. Legendary Comics presents Black Bag, a new espionage thriller written by Chris Roberson with artwork by JB Bastos.

When the co-creator of iZombie launches a new book, it's probably worth a look.

CAVEWOMAN: RECOVERY (ONE-SHOT)

Publisher: AMRYL ENTERTAINMENT

Writer/Art/Cover: ROB DURHAM

$3.99

The cleanup begins after the devastating fires that consumed large areas of Marshville. Bruce is on the mend with Meriem watching over him - but she soon finds herself in a battle with an intelligent pack of raptors who have breached the city's defenses.

I think I've completely run out of snark for these covers. Seriously, fellas, who buys something this shameless and ridiculous? And why? That first cover is starting to cross the line from soft-core porn to actual porn -- and with boobs so big that no one with any experience with real ones wouldn't find them attractive. And the sword placement is incredibly juvenile.

DJANGO / ZORRO (HC)

Writer: QUENTIN TARANTINO, MATT WAGNER

Art: ESTEVE POLLS

Cover: JAE LEE, FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

$29.99 / Teen + / 192 pages

Oscar Award-winning writer/director and Django creator Quentin Tarantino teams with Eisner Award-winning comic book creator Matt Wagner to write the official Django Unchained sequel, uniting the gun-blazing Western hero with the legendary swordsman of literature, film, and comics: Zorro!

Set several years after the events of Django Unchained, Django again pursues evil men in his role as a bounty hunter. Taking to the roads of the American Southwest, he encounters the aged and sophisticated Diego de la Vega by sheer chance. Django is fascinated by this unusual character, the first wealthy white man he's met who seems totally unconcerned with the color of his skin... and who can hold his own in a fight. Django hires on as Diego's bodyguard, and is soon drawn into a fight to free the local indigenous people from brutal servitude. Learning much from the older man (as he did from King Schultz), he discovers that slavery isn't exclusive to his people, as he even dons the mask of Zorro in their mission of mercy!

"I'm very, very excited about both this story and the opportunity to work with Matt. It was reading his Zorro stories that convinced me what a good idea it was to join these two icons together. The story idea we came up with is thrilling, and I think will be an exciting new chapter for both characters." - Quentin Tarantino

"Sassy and reverential. Django... in this adventure alongside Don Diego de la Vega... seems timeless." -- Comic Book Resources

"Sophisticated dialogue ... and suspenseful developments. A must-have." -- Unleash the Fanboy

"This book is one of the indie books that I must have each month. Highly recommended!" -- Geeks With Wives

I read some random issue of this and it made me interested in more, so I've been waiting for this collection.

DOUBLE TAKE TITLES

I haven't read any of these titles, but I thought it was worth taking a second look at this line ... if for no other reason than all nine titles are on time!

ELK'S RUN

Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

Writer: JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV

Art/Cover: NOEL TUAZON

$24.99

Oni Press, Portland’s premier independent comic book publisher, announced today a new Tenth Anniversary Hardcover Edition of the classic Joshua Hale Fialkov (The Bunker, The Life After) title Elk’s Run. Elk’s Run will release on November 11th.

The small town of Elk’s Ridge was founded as a closed haven, dreamt up by Vietnam veterans looking to create a utopia: a home without violence, chaos, or corruption. And in the beginning, it seemed like it might actually work. However, years later, the town has become a powder keg. When a desperate bid for freedom results in the accidental death of a child, the town must decide what terrible acts they are willing to commit in order to preserve their way of life. And the youth of the sleepy town—those who never chose to live that life—must forsake all they know in order to stand up for what is right.

A vividly and viscerally illustrated tale of small town horror, Elk’s Run takes its place among the most chilling and affecting works of graphic fiction. The debut collaboration of Eisner, Harvey, and Emmy nominated writer Joshua Hale Fialkov and Harvey and Eisner nominated artist Noel Tuazon is back a decade later and even more relevant.

"Elk’s Run is the book that started my career and getting a chance to revisit it for this deluxe hardcover is a real gift,” says creator Joshua Hale Fialkov. “The work Noel, Scott, Jason [Rodriguez] and Jason [Hanley] did is a true inspiration to me and to see how much they taught me by our collaboration is heart-warming. Having had so much success with Oni Press on The Bunker and The Life After, it made sense to bring Elk's Run too. Plus, big secret time, it was the books Oni published that inspired me to make comics in the first place."

As I've mentioned before, I've been a fan of Fialkov since Tumor, so this is probably pretty good.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

IMPERIUM #10

Written by JOSHUA DYSART

Art by CAFU

Cover A by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

Cover B by BILQUIS EVELY

Variant Cover by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On sale NOVEMBER 11

“THE VINE IMPERATIVE” boils over!

The world is suspended within balances of power. Tense and delicate terms of peace, crisscrossing and humming just below the surface. The Vine plantings, undercover alien spies of a galaxy-spanning race, hold positions of influence all over the planet. Toyo Harada, Earth’s most unstoppable psiot, amassed a bedrock of power through his corporate, political, and super-powered maneuverings. A tenuous détente has long held between the slumbering giants, each with the world held loosely in their grip. Until now.

As Harada presses his gambit to wage war for utopia, the agents of the Vine who have watched him for decades move to keep the megalomaniac in check. And if Harada wants to save the world…he’ll have to get rid of the competition. Cold war turns red hot as New York Times best-selling writer Joshua Dysart (HARBINGER) and Valiant superstar CAFU (UNITY) unfold another chapter of IMPERIUM, the comic that Herotaku calls “an entertaining, compelling read month after month”!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

JUST ANOTHER SHEEP #1

Write: MAT HEAGERTY

Art/Cover/Variant: J.D. FAITH

Colors: JON CAIRNS

32 pgs./ Teen / FC / $3.99 (reg.) $4.99 (var.)

In 1969 a timid teen sets out on a road trip. His goal? Find out the origins of his bizarre superhuman abilities. Always the follower, his trip is derailed when he befriends a group of extremist war protesters. Variant cover by series artist JD Faith (Virgil) limited to 1,500 copies!

A first issue from Action Lab that doesn't, uncharacteristically, star a girl.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• LAST SONS OF AMERICA #1

STK687990.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: PHILIP KENNEDY JOHNSON

Art: MATTHEW DOW SMITH

Cover: TONCI ZONJIC

$3.99

What's to Love: We were instantly taken with newcomer Phillip Kennedy Johnson's inventive high concept story and mature characterization. Throw in a crime thriller element and Matthew Dow Smith's moody art and Last Sons of America can be the perfect answer to, What if Elmore Leonard wrote Children of Men?

What It Is: When a biological terrorist attack makes it impossible for anyone in America to conceive children, adoption of kids from other counties explodes. Brothers Jackie and Julian are adoption agents based in Nicaragua. They usually do all their options through legal means, but they're facing increasing competition from straight-up kidnappers. One desperate move from Jackie could put them in the cross-hairs of some very dangerous people.

Interesting concept, so execution will be important.

LOCAL COMIC SHOP DAY

ComicsPRO has launched "Local Comic Shop Day," with the first LCSD coming Nov. 28. Here's what Publishers Weekly said in a July 14 report:

"Prior to the lunch, the retailer organization ComicsPRO announced the debut of Local Comic Shop Day this year, to coincide with Small Business Saturday on November 28, the day after 'Black Friday.' The event hopes to showcase exclusive material by sponsoring publishers that’s designed to bring customers into stores. Inspired by other retail promotions like Free Comic Book Day and Independent Bookstore Day, it's 'a great way to differentiate your shop from big box stores and chains and draw attention to what’s going on in local comics shops,' according to Joe Field, a ComicsPRO board member and owner of Flying Colors in Concord, CA. 'It’s also a good way to kick-off the holiday shopping season and gifting.'”

There are seven LCSD titles this week, apparently available in advance for cover price: Call of Duty: Black Ops III #1 (Dark Horse, $3.99), Book of Death: Fall of Harbinger #1 (Valiant, $3.99), Exodus: The Life After #1 ($9.99), Invader Zim Treasury Edition (Oni Press, $14.99), Klaus #1 ($3.99), Luminae Limited B&W Line Art Edition (Magnetic Press, $9.99) and Rick and Morty Treasury Edition (Oni Press, $14.99). 

STK693280.jpg?width=150Fall_of_Harbinger_LCSD_announcement_copy-3.jpg?width=150EXODUSLA-1-4x6-VARIANT-LCSD-WEB.jpg?width=1501936731197?profile=RESIZE_180x180invaderzimb.png?width=150Klaus_001_Cover_Mora_CLR.jpg?width=150LumiBW1cover.jpg?width=150

1936731197?profile=RESIZE_180x180RICKMORTY-TREASURY-COVER1.jpg?width=150

1936731197?profile=RESIZE_180x180LOVE: THE FOX

602b428e-4462-4a2b-b169-08f872ba4c69.jpg?width=525Illustrated by FEDERICO BERTOLUCCI

Written by FRÉDÉRIC BRRÉMAUD

80 pages / Size:  8.5″ x 11″ / Cover Price: $17.99

“It’s not easy being one of the smaller predators in the woods, competing with an entire woodland population for scraps along the food chain. But when nature throws cataclysmic weather into the mix, it becomes a race for survival… and Love.

LOVE: THE FOX follows a spry, intrepid, one-eyed fox during an average day of foraging when a natural disaster erupts.  Readers are taken on a thrillride as animals of all shapes and sizes react to the danger, but the fox inexplicably runs towards the fire, braving daunting obstacles and looming predators to reach a desperate location in the heart of the storm...

This second volume in the celebrated LOVE series is another beautiful all-ages title that explores genuine natural behavior, like a nature documentary told through the dramatic lens of Disney-esque storytelling. LOVE: THE FOX a lavish, gorgeously rendered and ultimately heartwarming story that is a monument to modern sequential narrative.

Hardcover with spot-glossed elements and curved corners

"... the book is a marvel, with panel after panel of Bertolucci's gorgeous palette. The storytelling has the feeling on an animated film."  --  Publishers Weekly Starred Review of Love: The Tiger

"Love: The Fox, like it’s predecessor, Tiger, is a stunning visual delight that paints the natural world with a lush sense of wonder and graceful wit. You will joyfully lose yourself in its abundance." --  J H Williams III (Sandman, Batwoman, Promethea)

Visit our website: LOVE: THE FOX WEBPAGE

The preview pages (below) are gorgeous. I think my wife will love it, too.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

MANDALAY (HC)

STK687357.jpg?width=250Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writer: PHILIPPE THIRAULT

Art: BUTCH GUICE & VARIOUS

Cover: BUTCH GUICE

Mature/$39.95

A sweeping saga of two brothers locked in combat in in colonial 1940s Burma, where an ancient magic will decide their fate, and that of the whole country. When a buried city is discovered deep in the Burmese jungle by a cruel 16th-century monarch, he unleashes an evil counterpart, thanks to three mysterious mirrors. Five centuries later, the country is under British colonial rule, and being invaded by the Japanese. British twin brothers, Alex and Lance Waters -- the Governor's sons -- take opposing sides in the struggle for Burma's independence during World War Two, in this tale of ancestral legends, magic, passion and freedom.

Anything by Butch Guice is worth a look, and this premise looks interesting as well.

PATHFINDER: HOLLOW MOUNTAIN #1 (of 6)

1936733234?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936735534?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936737353?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936739464?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936739598?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936739728?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936741277?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JAMES SUTTER

Art: TOM GARCIA

Cover A Main: CARLOS GOMEZ

Cover B Variant: TOM GARCIA

Cover C Subscription: SEBASTIAN CICHON

Cover D Ultra-Limited: SEAN IZAAKSE

Cover E Blank Authentix: N/A

$4.99 / Teen+ / 32 pages

Dynamite Entertainment, a leading publisher of comic books and graphic novels, and Paizo, Inc., the premier publisher of tabletop roleplaying and adventure card games, are proud to announce the release of Pathfinder: Hollow Mountain #1, the first chapter in a six-issue comic book miniseries. The series will be written by the collaborative team of game developers Erik Mona (Paizo Publisher and Chief Creative Officer), F. Wesley Schneider (Paizo Editor-in-Chief), and James Sutter (Paizo Senior Editor), and feature artwork by Tom Garcia, recently the illustrator of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Hopcross Jilly. Each issue contains an RPG appendix detailing part of the Hollow Mountain dungeon (with poster map) and a write-up of one of the new characters.

Hollow Mountain draws iconic  Pathfinder heroes Valeros, Seoni, Kyra, Merisiel and more deep into an ancient fortress built by the runelords, the archvillains of the franchise. Carved in the immense visage of Alaznist, Runelord of Wrath, the Hollow Mountain is home to a honyecomb labyrinth of trap-laden chambers and corridors. The team of Pathfinder agents must explore the ruins in search of a magical artifact from the runelords' day, but they aren't the only adventurers interested in the mountain's secrets. Open combat between the rivals will ensue ... but Alaznist has not left her former stronghold unprotected, and fearsome guardians will force some rather uncomfortable alliances.

Co-writer James Sutter says, "Erik, Wesley, and I are really excited to be writing together again; while we got to team up to write  Pathfinder: Origins, each of those issues was its own story, focusing on the characters' pasts. With  Hollow Mountain, we're pushing things forward in a single storyline, and we've been busting out the whiteboards and flow charts to pack in as much action and character development as possible! And since we're some of the folks who built the  Pathfinder setting in the first place, we're really able to dig into the canon and spotlight elements players and readers have been waiting for, from the lost empire of Thassilon and its magical Runelords to the sinister Aspis Consortium. Hollow Mountain is one of the biggest, most legendary dungeons in the setting, so in addition to throwing the heroes into that meat grinder, we're also going to be exploring it in the supplementary material in the back of each issue with new mapped encounters, plus information on the Runelords and stats and backstories for the issue's iconic villains, so players can fight the bad guys themselves!"

"This latest Pathfinder series has got me excited, not only because we're introducing more badass iconic characters to the comics, but also because the iconics will be battling each other directly," says Dynamite series Editor Rich Young. "It's going to make for some great action and dialogue between the characters. Artist Tom Garcia is also delivering some really sweet, detailed pages... it's going to be a visually impressive book. And the fact that Erik, James, and Wes are back on board writing this series after doing such a great job scripting Origins means that Hollow Mountain is going to have some fun surprises, and be as true as possible to the game. No one knows Pathfinder better than these guys!"

I don't follow this series, but if you do, here's a first issue -- with lots of PR!

RED SONJA / CONAN #4 (OF 4)

1936741685?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Writer: VICTOR GISCHLER

Art: ROBERTO CASTRO

Cover A: ED BENES

Subscription Variant: ROBERTO CASTRO

$3.99 / Teen+ / 32 pages

Red Sonja and Conan have stormed a fortress intent on finding and stopping the wizard Kal'Ang. They are startled to discover an even greater foe from their past. Can their willpower match the mind of a sorcerer? It will take more than speed and strength to save them this time, but the Cimmerian and the fire haired warrior women will never give up ... even if asked to face down a god.

OK, my chief complaint about this series -- the villain -- turned out to be a red herring last month, so I have to swallow everything I said to date. Still, it's not the best team-up of these two characters. And from the cover, it's clear only Kate Upton is "qualified" to play Red Sonja on screen!

RED SONJA VOL. 3: THE FORGIVING OF MONSTERS (TPB)

STK669763.jpg?width=250Writer: GAIL SIMONE

Art: WALTER GEOVANI

Cover: JENNY FRISON

$19.99 / Teen+ / 168 pages

From the acclaimed creative team of Gail Simone (Birds of Prey, Batgirl) and Walter Geovani comes an all-new Red Sonja epic that will shake the She-Devil to her core! While the Hyrkanian warrior aids a small village against the ravages of a rampant parasite, she picks up the trail of the man she hates and distrusts most in the world: the last survivor of the marauders who murdered her family. In the grip of a vengeful obsession that is all-consuming, the heroine barely recognizes herself. Can even the unconquerable Red Sonja return from a darkness so complete?

Includes an original script by Gail Simone, as well as an extensive cover gallery by talented female artists, hand-picked by Gail Simone, including Jenny Frison, Stephanie Buscema, Renae De Liz, Yasmin Liang, Emma Vieceli, Cat Staggs, Rebecca Isaacs, and Adriana Melo.

"The writing, the art, the color, and the letters are excellent and combine to make a comic that is full of action, adventure, humor, and thought. Highly recommended." - The Fandom Post

"If you desire good action, solid story, and impressive art, then you should hop on." - Comic Bastards

"One of Dynamite's most enduring and consistently successful titles." - Shadowhawk's Shade

"(Red Sonja) takes its hero to some dark places, but keeps its sense of humor and adventure intact." - Geeked Out Nation

"Simone and Geovani continue their winning streak." - Multiversity Comics

"Walter Geovani's illustrations are a visual wonder." - Forces of Geek

I red the last Sonja storyline by Simone and really enjoyed it, so I read this one to see the issues that led up to it. I wasn't disappointed, as Simone has really developed this character to being a specific, admirable reprobate who is a far cry from the generic character she once was.

REDHAND: TWILIGHT OF THE GODS (GN)

STK687355.jpg?width=250Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writers: KURT BUSIEK, SAM TIMEL

Art: MARIO ALBERTI, BAZAL

Cover: BAZAL

Mature/$19.95

The perfect warrior is unleashed in an age of barbarism and magic, but all he wants is the peaceful life he's destined never to have. Touched by a prophecy, imbued with incredible fighting skills and immune to magic, he is fated to one day destroy the gods. Yet Redhand has no interest in this prediction, and no use for his destiny. Yet how can a man escape his own fate? From award-winning writer Kurt Busiek (Astro City, Marvels) and artists Mario Alberti & Bazal (Retroworld) comes a violent and intelligent story that challenges and enthralls.

Another interesting Humanoids book, this one involving Kurt Busiek.

STEAM LEAGUE #1

STK685213.jpg?width=250Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

Writer/Art: BEN DUNN

$3.99

In 19th-century London, mysterious fiends stalk the unwary, but their hour is at hand!  The able aristocrat Lady Greystoke, barbarian beauty Rula, and melee maid Mary Riley dare to defy the worst the world can offer.  But with the sinister warlord Wang Fu Ho and his ally, Dr. Frankenstein, scheming for the power of the Mars Stone, they may need help from another world!

Dunno what this is, but it looks interesting. Plus, a preview!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

STEAM WARS BOUNTY HUNTERS #1

STK678835.jpg?width=250Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

Writer/Art: BEN DUNN, JOE WIGHT

$3.99

Driven by greed, on the edge of the law, their business is blood. They are the killers, the assassins, the merciless trackers of the underworld, and if you're their enemy, you're probably dead. Remember, a bounty hunter only follows the Rule of Gold.

This looks less interesting to me. Turning the high tech of Star Wars into steampunk bleeds a lot of interest/possibility from the concept. Well, for me, anyway. Your mileage may be different.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

UNITY #24

1936743885?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936745960?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936748780?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JAMES ASMUS

Art & Cover by DIEGO BERNARD

Variant Cover by AL BARRIONUEVO

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On sale NOVEMBER 11

Unity vs. the Armor Hunters…rematch!

GIN-GR, the reformed killer robot who destroyed Mexico City and rampaged through downtown Los Angeles during the Armor Hunters’ attack, has turned on her Unity teammates! As she perpetrates the world’s most unstoppable jailbreak – a head-first, guns-blazing, kamikaze flight straight into the military base that holds her one-time squad – can X-O Manowar, Livewire, Ninjak, and the Eternal Warrior stop the giant engine of destruction…while trapped inside it? And if they survive GIN-GR, all they have to look forward to is the remaining Armor Hunters attacking from all sides!

Multiple Harvey Award nominee James Asmus (QUANTUM AND WOODY) and rising superstar artist Diego Bernard (X-O MANOWAR) rocket UNITY into their most action-packed battle yet!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

This reply was deleted.