Comics Guide for November 18, 2015

DARK HORSE COMICS

TIME TRAVEL FUNNIES!

THE ROOK #2 (of 4)

Writer: STEVEN GRANT

Art/Cover: PAUL GULACY

Cover: JESUS ABURTO

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

H. G. Wells’s The Time Machine never seemed so real to Restin Dane—especially since he’s living the experience! Thrust into a real-life science-fiction epic, Dane is forced to defend the gentle Eloi from the fearsome Morlocks in a battle for dominance!

• From comics masters Steven Grant and Paul Gulacy!

• The most popular series to ever be introduced in the pages of Eerie!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

THE STEAM MAN #2 (of 5)

Writers: MARK ALAN MILLER, JOE R. LANSDALE

Art/Cover: PIOTR KOWALSKI

Colors: KELLY FITZPATRICK

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

The Dark Rider’s tale is one of tragedy and cold-blooded murder. But how did he go from mild-mannered time traveler to the deadliest vampire the Old West has ever known?

Cowritten by Joe R. Lansdale (Cold in July) and beautifully illustrated by Piotr Kowalski (Sex).

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

In what could only happen in comic books, here are two very different series based very loosely on H.G. Wells' The Time Machine.

In The Rook #2, relationships between the principals are spelled out. which is necessary for reader understanding. We learn that our hero is named Dane Restin, a scientist from 2015 who uses a variation of his grandfather's time machine to visit the old boy, who is named Adam Dane (The Time Traveler was unnamed in Wells' book.) Restin and Dane have their "first" meeting -- a subjective term when time travel is involved -- at the time of the Eloi and Morlocks, which becomes a battle for survival situation, as well as a moral quandary of sorts. This doesn't explain the odd folks seen pursuing The Rook (so named because his time machine is shaped like a castle turret, which resembles the chess piece). But we meet one of them in this issue, a meeting which shouldn't be possible, given the events of the previous issue.

In other words, fun with time travel, playing off the original time travel story. Much fun, with Gulacy's art varying, as usual, from magnficent to what th-? (For one thing, Gulacy tends to draw his characters as somewhat wall-eyed, and that tendency is out of control here.) Still, a great read where each answer brings three more questions.

Meanwhile, The Steam Man takes a break from the heroes introduced last issue to give us the background on their foe, the Dark Rider. Turns out he is also Wells' unnamed Time Traveler (still unnamed), whose adventure took a dark turn. Damage to the machine has turned him into a cannibal (possibly a vampire), while mixing elements from various futures with the present, including Eloi and Moorlocks (sic). That might explain super-steam technology as well.

Again, more long-form, time-travel, mix-n-match hoo-ha, which is done best in comic books.

DC COMICS

LOONEY TUNES VARIANTS

This week's variant covers featuring the Looney Tunes characters are Action Comics #46, Harley Quinn #22 and New Suicide Squad #14.

ASTRO CITY

ASTRO CITY #29

Written by KURT BUSIEK

Art by BRENT ANDERSON

Cover by ALEX ROSS

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

An ordinary suburban family deals with an alien invasion of their world by powerful monsters from outer space—only this family lives on Zirros, throneworld of the Zirr Empire, and the invaders are those violent superhumans, the First Family. Bullets won’t stop them. The army can’t stop them. Who can stop “The Menace from Earth”?

ASTRO CITY: LOVERS QUARREL (HC)

Written by KURT BUSIEK

Art by BRENT ANDERSON

Cover by ALEX ROSS

176 pg, FC • $24.99 US

In this new ASTRO CITY collection, the spotlight falls on Quarrel and Crackerjack as they face a real crisis: what does an aging crimefighter do when time starts to take its toll? Plus, a look into Quarrel’s origins—and the end of the line for one of Astro City’s most stalwart heroes. And what’s a talking gorilla to do when he’s always wanted to be a drummer in a rock ‘n’ roll band? That’s right, you go to Astro City. Collects ASTRO CITY #18-21 and 23-24.

Astro City alert! I couldn't be happier to see all this AC product.

BATMAN: EUROPA #1

Written by MATTEO CASALI and BRIAN AZZARELLO

Layouts by GIUSSEPPE CAMUNCOLI

Art and cover by JIM LEE

1:25 Variant cover by LEE BERMEJO

1:100 B&W Sketch variant by JIM LEE

RESOLICIT • On sale NOVEMBER 18 • 40 pg, FC, 1 of 4, $4.99 US • RATED T+

This issue will ship with three covers.

Superstar artist Jim Lee returns to the Dark Knight with this premiere issue! The impossible has happened and Batman is on the verge of being taken down by an enemy he cannot defeat: a virus for which there is no cure! And the only hope for his salvation is The Joker! Who infected Batman, what does the Clown Prince of Crime know, and how will the Dark Knight get that information? Together, the enemies crisscross Europe, desperate to find answers before time runs out.

Co-conceived by Matteo Casali and Brian Azzarello, this 4-issue miniseries event will feature art by top talents over layouts by the incomparable Giuseppe Camuncoli (HELLBLAZER, Dark Wolverine), with the first issue pencilled and inked by none other than Jim Lee!

This book, inspired by Jim Lee's time in Italy, was first announced in 2004, but was shelved. It was scheduled again in 2011, but again shelved. Now it seems it's really coming out, and one can only wonder what the back story really is. 

BATMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS (HC)

Written by BILL FINGER, GARDNER FOX and others

Art by BOB KANE, JERRY ROBINSON and others

Cover by DARWYN COOKE

784 pg, FC, $75.00 US

The stories that catapulted Batman to legendary status are collected here in a single, massive volume. These original stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #27-56 and BATMAN #1-7 include the origin of the Dark Knight, as well as the debuts of Robin, Commissioner Gordon, Professor Hugo Strange, The Joker, Catwoman and more!

I've got the Archives collecting these books, but DC made an error separating Detective and Batman issues -- they should have been collected together in chronological order. This collections seems to correct that error.

CATWOMAN: A CELEBRATION OF 75 YEARS (HC)

Written by BILL FINGER, ED BRUBAKER, DENNIS O’NEIL and others

Art by BOB KANE, DARWYN COOKE and others

Cover by ADAM HUGHES

On sale NOVEMBER 18 • 400 pg, FC, $39.99 US

Selina Kyle gets her due in this new collection celebrating her 75 year history! Don’t miss the stories that made Catwoman one of Batman’s greatest foes—and one of comics’ most memorable villains!

I generally have all the comics collected in these anniversary books, but I'm glad they exist for those who haven't read those stories already. These characters deserve the recognition, if nothing else.

DC COMICS BOOK AND DVD/BLU-RAY SLIPCASE SET

$145.99 US

All six book-and-animated movie sets are also available in this amazing slipcase set! Each includes a hardcover book plus the animated movie inspired by the book in both Blu-Ray and DVD formats on two discs! This set includes:

• BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE

• THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN

• BATMAN YEAR ONE

• JUSTICE LEAGUE ORIGIN

• JLA EARTH 2

• WONDER WOMAN: GODS AND MORTAL

Oh, man, I'd love to have this. But not at that price.

GREEN LANTERN: THE LOST ARMY #6

Written by CULLEN BUNN

Art by JESUS SAIZ

Cover by GUILLEM MARCH

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

This may be the last chance for John Stewart and the rest of the lost Lanterns to return home…but there are still plenty of obstacles in their way!

Despite the lack of a "final issue" notice, this is indeed the final issue. According to various interviews, this series was supposed to have a minimum of 12 issues when Bunn and Siaz signed on. Not nice to cancel it at issue #6, DC. 

RED THORN #1

Written by DAVID BAILLIE

Art by MEGHAN HETRICK

Cover by CHOONG YOON

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

On the rain-soaked streets of Glasgow, a girl whose drawings somehow come to life has just stumbled across her one true love. And thousands of miles below those streets, an ancient demi-god plots his escape from the prison where he’s been held for nearly two thousand years. Evil forces are at play and no one is safe as the legends of Scottish mythology collide with the modern world. Fans of FABLES and THE SANDMAN won’t want to miss this riveting dark fantasy epic!

Hey, another new Vertigo series! The line is experiencing quite a renaissance.

TITANS HUNT #2

Written by DAN ABNETT

Art and cover by PAULO SIQUEIRA

32 pg, FC, 2 of 12, $3.99 US • RATED T

“The Secret History of the Teen Titans” continues! Dick Grayson is hot on the trail of a young Atlantean named Garth—but what he doesn’t realize is that something is hunting him! Plus, Roy Harper encounters a mysterious woman named Lilith—and this run-in will leave him questioning his own past!

So the new history of the Teen Titans in the New 52 won't include Kid Flash, but will include Gnaark and Lilith. For some reason, that makes me feel really old.

IDW PUBLISHING

ANDRE THE GIANT: CLOSER TO HEAVEN

Writer: BRANDON EASTON

Art/Cover: DENIS MEDRI

TPB • FC • $12.99 • 104 pages

Jean Ferre. Monster Eiffel Tower. Fezzik. These were alter egos for the internationally acclaimed pro wrestling superstar known as Andre the Giant, who thrilled audiences worldwide with his unmatched charisma and remarkable athleticism. Despite his astonishing popularity, few really knew the man behind the curtain–the man born in the French countryside named Andre Roussimoff. Showing signs of gigantism at an early age, Andre decided to use his size to his advantage and entered the wild world of professional wrestling. From his first day in the squared circle, those close to him knew that a legend was born.

This lavishly illustrated biography of Andre the Giant charts his entire life from the earliest days on his family's farm to his blockbuster feuds with the biggest wrestling stars of all time, exploring the dark side of fame and fortune along the way.

• Officially sanctioned by the family and estate of Andre The Giant.

• Written by Eisner Award nominee Brandon Easton.

I received a review copy of this and didn't have time to read it before it came out. I apologize, Legionnaires!

ORPHAN BLACK: HELSINKI #1 (OF 5)

Writers: GRAEME MANSON, JOHN FAWCETT, HELI KENNEDY & DENTON J. TIPTON

Art: ALAN QUAH

Cover: CORBYN KERN

Subscription Variant: ALAN QUAH

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Helsinki. Spoken in hushed tones, the word means almost certain death for the clones of Project Leda. Learn the dark secrets of this codename in this special event miniseries by co-creators John Fawcett and Graeme Manson.

• Orphan Black co-creators Graeme Manson and John Fawcett expand on the saga with all-new material exclusive to the comic books!

•  Variant cover by Rodin Esquejo!

I don't watch the show, nor did I read the previous series. But for some reason, I feel that I should. And this second series indicates it's selling pretty well, so maybe I should catch up.

RAGNAROK VOL 1: LAST GOD STANDING

Writer/Art/Cover: WALTER SIMONSON

HC • 7" x 11" • 148 Pages • $24.99

HC w/slipcase • 7" x 11" • 148 Pages • $25.00 net cost item

Ragnarök … the Twilight of the Gods in Norse mythology…the destruction of the Nine Worlds. And now, three hundred years later, the birth of vengeance. Walter Simonson returns to comics in this stunning all-new series.

I actually avoided this series, feeling like Simonson would have trouble repeating himself by working on the same character that (arguably) made him famous. But then I read an issue, and boy, was I wrong! Yes, Ragnarok stars Thor, but this Thor ain't nothin' like the other Thor. And this being Simonson, it's really good material. Recommended.

STAR TREK/GREEN LANTERN #5 (OF 6)

Writer: MIKE JOHNSON

Art: ANGEL HERNANDEZ

Cover: DAVID WILLIAMS

Variant: TESS FOWLER

Subscription Variant: GARRY BROWN

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

The galactic civil war reaches a critical point as the Yellow Lantern Klingons, Orange Lantern Romulans, and Red Lantern Gorn fight for supremacy, with Hal Jordan, James T. Kirk, and the crew of the Enterprise caught in the middle! It's a dark night for the Federation... and the arrival of Nekron and his Black Lanterns will only make things worse! Don't miss the penultimate chapter in the blockbuster crossover event of 2015!

• The blockbuster event of 2015!

• 6 connecting variant covers from Garry Brown, one for every issue, forming one giant image!

• Variant cover by Rat Queens artist Tess Fowler!

This has been an excellent series, far better than it has any right to be. If you haven't checked it out yet, don't let the obvious mismatch of the Trek and superhero universes put you off. They make it work.

IMAGE COMICS

HUCK #1

Story: MARK MILLAR

Art/Covers A & B: RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

32 PAGES / FC / T / $3.50

In a quiet seaside town, Huck uses his special gifts to do a good deed each day. His neighbors return the favors by keeping his abilities a secret. But when a newcomer alerts the media, a firestorm erupts, sending Huck on an adventure that will change everything. This brand-new series from writer MARK MILLAR and artist RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE presents a comic book unlike anything you've read before. Featuring a Feel-Good Movie variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE.

Bestselling writer Mark Millar (Kingsman: The Secret Service, Kick-Ass, WANTED) will team up with artist Rafael Albuquerque (American Vampire) for an all-new project to be titled, HUCK.

Millar said of the project: "All the best old comics were about people you didn’t expect becoming empowered. Peter Parker wasn’t a classic hero. He was a lonely teenager. Matt Murdock was blind. Tony Stark had a heart condition. Doctor Donald Blake couldn’t walk without a stick. So we wanted to do something incredibly sweet about a small-town guy with learning difficulties who could do all these amazing things. He’s the purest, most decent character you’ve ever seen in a comic book. A big guy who just wants to help people and does it in secret so nobody even knows he even exists. It’s the ultimate feel good comic. A Frank Capra superhero story I guess about a small town and a close-knit community and an amazing guy they just all want to shelter from the outside world. He’s Captain America meets Forrest Gump. He’s just a nice guy in a very classic mould.

“Working with Rafael has been amazing. I’ve always been a fan, but you really only fully appreciate an artist when you see what he does with one of your scripts. I think this is one of the most beautifully drawn comics I’ve ever had my name on and it’s been such a pleasure. I finished the whole project in early summer and I’m starting the second arc soon. We’ve got three of these stories planned, each one six issues long, and we’re just having a good time. I think you stumble on something special every once in a while as a creator and my gut tells me we’ve got a project like that here.”

If there's not a competition between Image and Vertigo, there should be. They are both pumping out one interesting new series after another. This one has Mark Millar (Kick-Ass) and Rafael Albuquerque (American Vampire) at the helm, which promises a great book. It's an awesome time to be a fan!

PRETTY DEADLY #6

STORY: KELLY SUE DeCONNICK

ART: EMMA RÍOS

COVER A / COVER B (VALKYRIE SHOP VARIANT): EMMA RÍOS

NOVEMBER 18 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

NEW ARC: "THE BEAR"

KELLY SUE DeCONNICK (BITCH PLANET, Captain Marvel) & EMMA RÍOS (ISLAND, Dr. Strange) reunite for the continuing story of Deathface Ginny, Fox, and Sissy. The survivors of the battle against Death enter a new century, where they face fresh violence and the horrors of war.

It's been so long since the last issue of this book, I thought it had been canceled!

WITCHBLADE 20th ANNIVERSARY “ART OF” HARDCOVER

ART: MICHAEL TURNER, MARC SILVESTRI, DAVE FINCH, JOE BENITEZ, J. SCOTT CAMPBELL, ADAM HUGHES, TONY DANIEL, LAURA BRAGA, STJEPAN SEJIC, JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER, & JOSEPH LINSNER

OCTOBER 28 / 96 PAGES / FC / T+ / $39.99

An oversized hardcover (12 x 8) celebrating 20 years of Witchblade with a veritable who's who of comic artists. NOTE—This is an original book, not a hardcover reprint of THE ART OF WITCHBLADE.

I find Witchblade mildly enjoyable, but don't follow it regularly. If you are a fan, though, this book looks pretty ... well, pretty. (And, yes, that cover is an homage to Uncanny X-Men #251, as I mentioned when it was first published.)

MARVEL COMICS

BLACK KNIGHT #1

Written by FRANK TIERI

Art by LUCA PIZZARI

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Variant Cover by ERIC POWELL

Hip-Hop Variant by GYIMAH GARIBA

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

32 PGS / RATED T+ / $3.99

Their legend echoes through history. Ancient warriors and wielders of the legendary Ebony Blade. Champions of their own destiny. But what do you do when it’s your destiny … to be damned? Find out this November as the creative team of Frank Tieri (Wolverine) and Luca Pizzari (Red Skull) bring you BLACK KNIGHT #1 – a brand-new ongoing series launching as part of All-New, All-Different Marvel!

Forged by ancient magic, long has the Ebony Blade granted its user the powers of the Black Knight, passed down through the centuries. But all power comes with a price, as each and every Black Knight has met an untimely end – a victim of the blade’s curse. Will Dane Whitman’s fate be the same? The long-time Avenger’s addiction to the blade grows stronger and stronger every day. Will he succumb to its power and suffer the same end? 

A lost man himself, Dane now finds himself in Weirdworld, the place where all lost things go. What are the circumstances that brought him to this strange place, so far from the world he called home? And what could he possibly have done that would cause the Uncanny Avengers to mobilize against him, a man they called friend?

It seems to me that Marvel never knew what to do with the Black Knight. He's only had one long stint with the Avengers that I recall, and it was during a period when the team was largely made up of cast-offs from alternate dimensions and other strays. Other times they threw him back in time, turned him into stone or just ignored him.

This book seems to want to emphasize the long history of the Ebony Blade, which I think is a good approach: If you want a hero to be A-list, give him an A-list backstory. Make him more important. Of course, it could have the opposite effect, by making him less special, as just the latest wielder of a weapon a lot of other people -- possibly more interesting people -- have used.

As usual, it's going to come down to execution.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SAM WILSON #3

Writer: NICK SPENCER

Art/Cover: DANIEL ACUñA

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

Variant Cover by Steve Epting

• Because you demanded it-- the return of Cap-Wolf (er, Fal-Cap-Wolf)!

• What horrors await-- IN THE DUNGEON OF DOCTOR MALUS?

Cap-Wolf? Sign me up!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

THE MIGHTY THOR #1

Writer: JASON AARON

Art: RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

Wraparound Gatefold Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

Cosplay Variant by SARAH JEAN MAEFS

Hip-Hop Variant by MIKE DEODATO

Design Variant by OLIVIER COIPEL

Blank Cover Variant also available

40 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

The lightning returns!

Marvel is pleased to present your new look at THE MIGHTY THOR #1 – the new ongoing series from blockbuster creators Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman! Now is your chance to jump on-board the popular storyline of the new Thor as it charges headlong into the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe! Her identity has finally been revealed as Dr. Jane Foster. When she lifts the mystic hammer Mjolnir, she is transformed into the Goddess of Thunder, the Mighty Thor! Eight months have passed since the end of Secret Wars – her enemies are many, and they are everywhere. As Asgard descends further into chaos, war begins to spread throughout the Ten Realms. Yet her greatest battle will be against a more personal and deadly foe – the cancer that is killing her mortal form.

Looks like they're keeping Jane Thor for a while. I expect that to end before the next Thor movie, and they've given themselves a natural out: Jane's cancer. But I've been wrong before!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

MS. MARVEL #1

Written by G. WILLOW WILSON

Art by TAKESHI MIYAZAWA & ADRIAN ALPHONA

Cover by CLIFF CHIANG

Variant Cover by SARA PICHELLI

Hip-Hop Variant by JENNY FRISSON

Cosplay Variant by SONI BALESTIER

40 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

The internationally-beloved, award-winning, butt-kicking, smack talking, most adorable super hero makes her triumphant return! Time to hop on board the book that has the world talking…Ms. Marvel is back! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look inside the oversized MS. MARVEL #1! Writer G. Willow Wilson alongside artists Takeshi Miyazawa & Adrian Alphona return to chronicle the ongoing adventures of Kamala Khan! Did we mention she’s an Avenger now? Yup, the dream has become a reality. She’s gone toe-to-toe with the best of the best, but will being one of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes be everything she hoped for? Is being a celebrity hero as wonderful as Kamala had hoped? Find out in the electrifying first issue this November in MS. MARVEL #1! Buckle up Kamala Korps – it’s going to be a wild ride.

Plus: WHO IS THAT WITH BRUNO?? Welcome back, Kamala Korps. We missed you!

I've never actually read an issue of this. Should I order all the TPBs, Legionnaires? Is it as good as the reviews indicate?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

SECRET WARS TOO #1 (ONE-SHOT)

Writers/Art: JONATHAN HICKMAN, SERGIO ARAGONES, RYAN BROWNE, AL EWING, ROB GUILLORY, KATE LETH; ERIC POWELL, DECLAN SHALVEY, KYLE STARKS, RAMON VILLALOBOS, BRITTNEY WILLIAMS; Cover by CHIP ZDARSKY

40 PGS / ONE-SHOT / Rated T+ / $4.99

THE BEYONDERS TRY THEIR (SCARY, EXTRA-DIMENSIONAL) HAND AT MARKETING:

• We are Beyond. Dreamers. Destroyers. All of reality our whim. And frankly … we get bored.

• These tales from across the multifarious domains of Battleworld – not of heroism or consequence, but of humor – provide a brief respite from millennia of omnipotence.

• We cannot be comprehended by the miniscule human mind. Turn your attention to this book instead of trying.

• You are welcome.

Uh, thank you?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

SPIDER-WOMAN #1

Written by DENNIS HOPELESS

Art & Cover by JAVIER RODRIGUEZ

Variant Cover by SIYA OUM

Hip-Hop Variant by NATACHA BUSTOS

Cosplay Variant by YASHUNTAFUN COSPLAY

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

BABY ON BOARD!

Jessica Drew is a private investigator, a super hero and… a mom to be? Since we last saw her, Spider-Woman’s got a whole NEW responsibility -- she’s super heroing for two now, after all! Ben Urich and Porcupine are still along for the adventure, too, and aren’t making Jess’ life any easier – half the time they won’t even let her leave the car! How’s a gal supposed to save innocent people and keep herself out of harm’s way? See how in the mother of all Spider-Stories!

All I can think about when I look at a pregnant Spider-Woman is that spiders give birth to a sac of eggs, which hatch into hundreds of baby spiders that eat each other until the remainder are strong enough to fend each other off and escape into the wild.

I didn't want to suffer alone, so I've put that image in YOUR head now.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

STAR WARS: VADER DOWN #1

Written by JASON AARON

Art by MIKE DEODATO

Cover by MARK BROOKS

Variant Cover by JOELLE JONES

Connecting Variant A by CLAY MANN

40 PGS / ONE-SHOT / Rated T / $4.99

Two of the biggest comics in the world collide this November as STAR WARS and DARTH VADER cross over for the first time! And it all starts right here! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at STAR WARS: VADER DOWN #1 – the kickoff to the blockbuster six-part crossover. Chartbusting writers Jason Aaron (Star Wars, Doctor Strange) and Kieron Gillen (Darth Vader, Young Avengers) join forces with fan-favorite artists Mike Deodato (Original Sin) and Salvador Larroca (Darth Vader) to combine both titles in the mighty Marvel manner!

“This is a true crossover in the classic Marvel Style,” says Editor Jordan D. White. “Kicking off in the Vader Down one-shot, the story then bounces between DARTH VADER and STAR WARS, telling a story that is essential to the plotlines of both books, that takes the casts from each and smashes them together in one epic tale!”

Vader’s TIE Fighter has been shot down. Seeing this as their one, best chance to take Vader down once and for all, the Rebellion is ready to throw everything they have at him. Alone, outnumbered, and outgunned, Darth Vader now must face down the entire might of the Rebel Fleet. But the Rebels are about to learn the true unrestrained power of the Dark Side of the Force. With the Rebellion putting it all on the line, could this risky gambit cripple their forces in the fight against the Empire?

“They’ve got Vader in quite a predicament,” says Jason Aaron in an interview with Marvel.com. “He’s grossly outnumbered and his ship has crashed on this alien landscape. Whether everybody believes they can do it or not, they know this is their best shot to capture him or kill him or whatever. When you get that shot, you’ve got to take it and send everyone you’ve got down after him.”

To defeat their greatest enemy, the Rebel Alliance will risk it all. Be there as the Star Wars: Vader Down crossover kicks off in an oversized VADER DOWN #1 one-shot this November  and continues in the pages of STAR WARS and DARTH VADER!

I don't read the Star Wars books, but if I did, I'd be interested in this.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

STAR-LORD #1

Written by SAM HUMPHRIES

Art by JAVIER GARRON

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

Variant Cover by YASMINE PUTRI

Hip-Hop Variant by TRADD MOORE

Movie Photo Variant Also Available

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

THE STIRRING STORY OF STAR-LORD STARTS HERE!

The child of a doomed romance between a Human and a Spartax. The man who would become the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Before there was the Star-Lord, there was Peter Quill, and his story will finally be told this November in STAR-LORD #1 – the brand new ongoing series from blockbuster writer Sam Humphries (Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex) and artist Javier Garron (Inferno, Cyclops)!

Before Peter Quill traversed the universe, before he was a Guardian, before he was Star-Lord, he was … an astronaut! Well, at least, he wanted to be. But as NASA’s biggest burn-out, it looked like the once and future Star-Lord was destined to stay grounded on Earth forever. However, with his burning desire for vengeance, his expert spacecraft know-how and his distinct lack of scruples, odds are he won’t be on Earth much longer. See how Marvel’s scoundrel of the spaceways discovered the galaxy he was destined to guard!

The original Star-Lord origin -- by Chris Claremont, IIRC -- made the guy pretty unlikable. I imagine they'll amend it this go-round to make him more like his movie iteration.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

UNCANNY AVENGERS ANNUAL #1

Writer: JAMES ROBINSON

Art: MARC LAMING

Cover: MIKE DEODATA

40 PGS / RATED T+ / $4.99

• The only good Nazi is an undead Nazi...

• The Uncanny Avengers take on magic in this supernatural adventure!

• Featuring Deadpool! Doctor Voodoo! Agatha Harkness! And the Emerald Warlock makes his marvel debut!

Wait, an annual already? The series isn't even at issue #2 yet, is it?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

OTHER PUBLISHERS

101 ARTISTS TO LISTEN TO BEFORE YOU DIE (HC)

Publisher: NOBROW PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: RICARDO CAVOLO

$22.99

A gorgeously illustrated graphic memoir detailing Ricardo Cavolo's personal journey through a lifetime of music fandom, with a visit to Bach, a meditation on Radiohead and a hundred other stops along the way (from Dolly Parton to Daft Punk), 101 Artists To Listen To Before You Die is a comic to get lost in.

If this guy has something interesting to say, and it's not navel-gazing, it could be interesting. (But I bet it's navel-gazing.)

BLACK CAT MYSTERY #50

Publisher: CANTON STREET PRESS

Writers: UNKNOWN

Art: BOB POWELL, SID CHECK

Cover: LEE ELIAS

Mature/$14.99

White Heat! Black Cat Mystery #50 is an exact replica of  the 1954 comic including ads and editorial content. This classic cover is one of the most recognizable and desirable horror covers from the 1950s. A true pre-Code masterpiece. Fully restored.

I've read most of the stories in this issue in various Craig Yoe books, but having a complete replica could be kinda cool.

BLOODSHOT REBORN #8

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art by BUTCH GUICE

Cover A by MICO SUAYAN

Cover B by DAVE JOHNSON

Cover C by GLENN FABRY

Variant Cover by ROBERT GILL

Variant Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

The secrets behind Project Bloodshot are finally revealed!

Festival and Hoyt fall deep down the rabbit hole and discover a much bigger conspiracy than they ever imagined. Meanwhile, Bloodshot must race to stop the nanites from claiming another victim – this time, someone with close, personal ties to Ray Garrison…

“THE HUNT” continues here as New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire (Extraordinary X-Men, Descender) and legendary artist Butch Guice (Captain America) bring Bloodshot to the precipice of a devastating new revelation!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

COPS FOR CRIMINALS #1

Publisher: LEGENDARY COMICS

Writer: STEVEN GRANT

Art: PETE WOODS

Cover: DAVE JOHNSON

$3.99

When a federal agent becomes a victim of the system he has sworn to uphold, he finds true justice in the criminal underworld. Agent Woods was one of the best - but everything changed when he was wrongfully convicted and labeled a traitor. After serving his time, this ex-convict is cut loose onto the lawless streets to fight corruption on both sides of the law. Even criminals need a code - and every code needs an enforcer. Legendary's new crime-thriller series is written by Steven Grant (Punisher War Journal) with art from Pete Woods (Robin, Catwoman).

I can't tell you how many books over the years I thought were pretty good, and when I flipped back to the credits to see who wrote it, it was Steven Grant. He's one of those writers who's not flashy, who doesn't usually get his name touted on the cover, but always delivers solid work. I don't know anything about this book, but Steven Grant's name is a recommendation.

DISNEY ROSA DUCK LIBRARY VOL 4: LAST CLAN MCDUCK (HC)

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: DON ROSA

$29.99

In this fourth book of Duck epics by Don Rosa, the origin story of Scrooge McDuck, the world's richest duck, begins to unfold at last. From his Scottish boyhood, through his teenage years on Uncle Pothole's steamboat, his first fights with the Beagle Boys and his earliest meeting with Magica De Spell! Presented in brilliant color with a treasure trove of Rosa's cover art and behind-the-scenes factoids! Also available for the holidays is a stunning gift set containing this volume and last season's Vol. 3: "Treasure Under Glass"!

I'm not a big fan of Don Rosa's ducks, but I've met many who are, so this is for you.

HOLY F*CKED #3 (of 4)

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: NICK MARINO

Art/Cover: DANIEL ARRUDA MASSA

32 pgs./ Mature Readers / FC / $3.99 (reg.)

Hercules is driving a van full of explosives with Jesus tied up in the back. But he's in for one hell of a ride because the New Apostles are out to stop him! Will Cosmic Moses, the Secret Pope, Mother 2resa, and the Holy Spirit halt Herc before he blows Jesus to kingdom come? Plus... can Maria get Satan to the hospital on time?

Still turned off by the name and premise of this book, but I felt obliged to point out a Giant-Size X-Men #1 homage.

HYSTERIA GRAPHIC FREUD SERIES (GN)

Publisher: SELFMADEHERO

Writer: RICHARD APPIGNANESI

Art/Cover: OSCAR ZARATE

$24.95

"I very soon had an opportunity to interpret Dora's nervous coughing as the outcome of a fantasized sexual situation." An Analysis of a Case of Hysteria, often referred to as "Dora," is one of Sigmund Freud's most influential case studies. Focusing on the psychoanalyst's investigation of the emotional life of a suicidal 18-year-old, it offers a fascinating insight into his methods of working and interpretation. Freud's analysis of the patient, who he refers to as Dora, leads him to uncover a remarkably troubled and conflict-ridden family history. In this graphic novel adaptation, Richard Appignanesi and Oscar Zarate bring to life this landmark of psychoanalysis, as well as capturing the gripping story of a deeply troubled but fascinating patient.

EC couldn't succeed with Psychoanalysis comics ... could SelfMadeHero do it?

JAMES BOND OMNIBUS VOL 1 (NEW PTG TPB)

Publisher: TITAN BOOKS

$29.95

The daring James Bond is back in a definitive bumper edition collecting Ian Fleming's earliest literary adventures in comic strip form!

For the first time, eleven of Bond's most thrilling and dangerous missions appear in a single volume: Casino Royale, Live and Let Die, Moonraker, Diamonds are Forever, From Russia With Love, Dr. No, Goldfinger, Risico, From a View to a Kill, For Your Eyes Only, and Thunderball!

With an introduction by Sir Roger Moore, this huge volume features beautiful women, thrilling action, incredible gadgets and the odd Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred... this ultimate collection of Bond's best is not to be missed!

I guess Titan is jumping on whatever bandwagon Dynamite's new James Bond series is creating, if any. I'm curious about this, but not enough to buy it sight unseen.

LADY MECHANIKA VOL 1: MYSTERY OF MECHANICAL CORPSE (TPB)

Publisher: BENITEZ PRODUCTIONS

Writer: JOE BENITEZ

Art/Cover: JOE BENITEZ, PETER STEIGERWALD

$19.99

In a Victorian world filled with flying dirigibles, clockwork automatons, and elegantly fashionable attire, a young woman with mechanical limbs and no memory of how she got them searches desperately for the secrets to her past. Collects Lady Mechanika #1-5 and also includes the prelude story, The Demon of Satan's Alley, first published in Lady Mechanika #0.

Nice art!

LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: NEMO TRILOGY (SLIPCASE EDITION)

Publisher: TOP SHELF

Writer: ALAN MOORE

Art: KEVIN O'NEILL

Containing Nemo: Heart of Ice, Nemo: The Roses of Berlin and Nemo: River of Ghosts

Slipcase Edition of three 56-page full-color hardcovers (shrink wrapped)

7” x 10.75” x 1.5” • $39.99 (US) • mature readers (16+)

With a classic two-fisted spirit of adventure, Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill explore stunning new horizons of their League of Extraordinary Gentlemen universe with the bestselling Nemo trilogy! These spinoff graphic novels follow the terrifying pirate queen Janni Nemo in her confrontations with unearthly Antarctic horrors (Heart of Ice), mechanical metropolitan monstrosities (The Roses of Berlin), and depraved tropical tyrants (River of Ghosts). Now, these handsome hardcovers are joined in a magnificent slipcase gloriously illustrated by Kevin O'Neill.

Comic-industry legends Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill expanded their League of Extraordinary Gentlemen universe with the Nemo spinoff trilogy of pulp-adventure graphic novels to rave reviews ... and now we present them together as a stunning gift set, perfect for any bookshelf!

"Moore and O’Neill construct enormous fictional amalgamations from the literature of the past. No one else has ever done it nearly as well as these two." — Comic Book Resources

This is the package I've been waiting for to read these stories!

MOON GIRL #5

Publisher: CANTON STREET PRESS

Writer: UNKNOWN

Art: SHELDON MOLDOFF, JOHNNY CRAIG

Cover: SHELDON MOLDOFF

$14.99

Moon Girl #5 is an exact replica of  the 1948 comic including ads and editorial content. This key features Johnny Craig's first horror story Zombie Terror. It is a classic of the genre and sets the stage for Craig's later EC work. Fully restored.

Another replica edition, no doubt chosen for the Moldoff and Craig art. Which is a pretty good selling point, actually.

OUR EXPANDING UNIVERSE (TPB)

Publisher: TOP SHELF

Writer/Art/Cover: ALEX ROBINSON

TPB • BW • $19.99 • 256 pages • 6.5” x 9 5/8”

Alex Robinson returns with a “spiritual sequel” to his Eisner-winning debut Box Office Poison! It’s been 15 years since the young cast of that beloved drama has graced the stage. Now, Our Expanding Universe introduces another Robinson ensemble to explore how time can transform a group of friends. Marriage, children, affairs, divorce … and that’s just the beginning!

The award-winning author of Box Office Poison, Tricked and Too Cool to Be Forgotten returns to his home turf, as a small constellation of city-dwellers take a frightening step into the unknown: parenthood.

Amid dinner parties, game nights, and hospital stays, a once-tight group of friends wrestle with the shifting shapes of their lives. Under the pressures of marriage and the passage of time, will they cling to the past, leap into the future, or self-destruct? Hey, not every implosion leads to a Big Bang...

• “A master of the slice-of-life indie comic genre.” — Publishers Weekly

Anybody here read any of Robinson's previous work? Top Shelf sent me a couple of press releases, so they're clearly proud of this.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

PUMA BLUES COMPLETE SAGA (HC)

Publisher: DOVER PUBLICATIONS

Writers: STEPHEN MURPHY, ALAN MOORE

Art/Cover: MICHAEL ZULLI

$29.95

Out of print for nearly 25 years and one of Rolling Stone's Top 50 Non-Super Hero graphic novels of all time, The Puma Blues is a series of interrelated stories that visualize life at the turn of the 21st century as a world of mutated animals, in which a lone government agent investigates the truth behind environmental degradation. Written by Stephen Murphy, the most prolific Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles author of all-time, and illustrated by Michael Zulli, artist on The Sandman, this deluxe hardcover edition unveils the never-before-seen ending, includes a foreword by Dave Sim, an afterword by Stephen Bissette, and a new story by Alan Moore. "Intelligent and urgent mythology for the end of the millennium." -- Neil Gaiman

I've never heard of this, but it's got such an impressive pedigree I'm tempted to get it. What say you, Legionnaires?

SHIGERU MIZUKI'S HITLER

BY SHIGERU MIZUKI

Paperback • 296 pages • 6.5" x 8.75" • b+w • $24.95USD/$29.95CAD

The Eisner Award-winning cartoonist and veteran tells the life story of the man who started the second world war.

Seventy years after his death, Adolf Hitler remains a mystery. Historians, military tacticians, and psychologists have tried in vain to unravel his complex motivations for leading Germany into the Holocaust and World War II. With Shigeru Mizuki’s Hitler, the manga-ka (Kitaro, NonNonba, Showa: A History of Japan) delves deep into the history books to create an absorbing and eloquent portrait of Hitler’s life.

Beginning with Hitler’s time in Austria as a starving art student and ending with a Germany in ruins, Shigeru Mizuki’s Hitler retraces the path Hitler took in life, coolly examining his charismatic appeal and his calculated political maneuvering. The Munich Beer Putsch, Hitler’s ascent to chancellor, the sudden death of his half-niece Geli, the Battle of Stalingrad, his relationship with Eva Braun, and his eventual demise: all are given equal attention in this thorough and compelling biography.

In Mizuki’s signature style, which populates incredibly realistic backgrounds with cartoony people, Japan’s most famous living cartoonist has created an overview of Hitler’s life as fascinating as it is informative.

Wow! How could I NOT get this book? (I'll probably have to elbow the Baron out of the way to get it, too!)

TOMBOY #1

Writer/Art/Cover: M. GOODWIN

Variant: JENNIFER ELY

32 pgs./ Mature Readers/ FC / $3.99 (reg.) / $4.99 (Var.)

Synopsis: The death of a childhood friend sparks a series of events that lead Addison from teenage field hockey player to a murderer of criminals. There's no lack of targets for her in a city built on corruption, but payback doesn't come for free. Addison's reality begins to blur in the pursuit of vengeance and justice is used as justification to become a monster.

The stunning first full comic work from Eisner award nominated creator M. Goodwin (Princeless), perfect for fans of Batgirl or Spider-Gwen! Features a limited edition variant by Jennifer Ely (Boxtrolls), limited to 2,000 copies.

Books starring girls is nothing new at Action Lab, which has made it something of a cottage industry. I'm not complaining in the least, and I'm glad to see them. (And note, please, the line "perfect for fans of Batgirl or Spider-Gwen!" The Batgirlization of comics continues!)

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• VAMPIRELLA #1969

1936731822?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936733742?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936736015?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: NANCY COLLINS, ERIC TRAUTMANN, PHIL HESTER, MARK RAHNER, DAVID WALKER

Art: FRITZ CASAS, BRETT WELDELE, JETHRO MORALES, COLTON WORLEY, ANEKE

Cover A: ROBERT HACK "CLASSIC DRESS"

Cover B: JACK JADSON

$7.99 / Teen+ / 48 pages

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce the release of Vampirella #1969, a 48-page one-shot special that celebrates over 45 years of the vampire heroine's adventures in horror and fantasy. The over-sized issue celebrates the heady days of the character's earliest appearances with contributions from a roster of all-star writers and artists, including: Nancy Collins and Fritz Casas, Eric Trautmann and Brett Weldele, Phil Hester and Jethro Morales, Mark Rahner and Colton Worley, and David Walker and Aneke. Vampirella #1969 will debut in November and feature three covers: one by Robert Hack in retro-style dress, a cover by Jack Jadson, and a rare edition featuring Hack's artwork in black-and-white, much like the artwork of the original Vampirella magazine.

Several of the Vampirella #1969 contributors have shared their thoughts on the upcoming celebratory event:

Nancy A. Collins: "When I was asked to contribute a story to Vampirella #1969, I went back to see exactly what was going on the month the first issue of Vampirella hit the stands. As it turns out, the police were searching for the killers responsible for the Tate-LaBianca murders while America was dealing with the aftershocks, both physical and cultural, of Hurricane Camille, Woodstock and Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. My story has classic-era Vampirella landing in a Hollywood that bears a closer resemblance to the reality of the time than what existed in her goofy/campy early adventures."

Phil Hester: "I was three years old when Vampirella debuted. It wasn't until I was 13 that I became very, very interested in the character, especially that life-sized poster I had saved my paper route money to buy. But beyond the undeniable visual impact of Vampirella, there was always a core decency to her character that burned brightly even amid the dark, horror-oriented themes of her stories. She was always, well -- good. Even though she was a vampire, and was always mixed up with creepy characters and monstrous villains, she somehow maintained this kind of purity that I found really refreshing in a culture awash with anti-heroes. I hope my story hearkens back to that classic Vampirella heroism."

Eric Trautmann: "One of the things that made me most eager about contributing to Vampirella #1969 was the opportunity to work more in the (pardon the pun) same vein as the Warren-era material -- short, punchy, atmospheric, without the need to build a longer continuity. Adding to that the opportunity to see the script realized by an artist like Brett Weldele made this one the best Vampirella experiences I've had to date."

David F. Walker: "I first discovered Vampirella back in the 1970s, when it was a magazine that I wasn't allowed to look at -- too much sex and violence for a little kid. And so for me, Vampirella has always represented something a bit dangerous, or at least the possibility of something dangerous. Those old stories were daring and outrageous, and that's what I tried to capture when I wrote my contribution to this book."

A raven-haired heroine, Varmpirella remains -- even after four-and-a-half decades of publication -- one of the comic industry's leading ladies, due in no small part to Dynamite Entertainment's stewardship of the character. Since Vampirella's very healthy resurgence in 2010, Dynamite has published two volumes of a monthly series, several miniseries and one-shot specials and crossovers with multimedia brands and comic book peers. The Vampirella franchise is a haven for writers and artists with a penchant for the macabre.

"Vampirella seems to have found a niche in the pop culture consciousness," says Collins. "People recognize her name, even now -- which is interesting, when you realize she never had a cartoon show or TV series to introduce her to a mass audience (as I don't count the direct-to-video movie that came out 20 years ago). Some of it obviously has to do with her being a sex symbol, but there seems to be a genuine fondness for the character from her long-time fans that transcends that."

There's not much I can add to all of that. If you like Vampirella -- especially if you have fond memories of her early years -- this is definitely for you.

WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1

1936736075?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936738127?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936738171?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936738281?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936740347?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936740434?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936740472?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by RAUL ALLEN

Cover A (Wraparound) by DAVID LAFUENTE

Cover B by RAUL ALLEN

Cover C by CARY NORD

Cover D by MARCOS MARTIN

B&W Sketch Variant by DAVID LAFUENTE

Emblem Variant by DAVE LANPHEAR

Artist Variant by LEWIS LAROSA

Blank Cover also available

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On sale NOVEMBER 18

Even in death, his war rages on ...

Valiant is proud is proud to debut WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 – the FIRST ISSUE of the ALL-NEW ONGOING SERIES by New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (BOOK OF DEATH) and newly-exclusive Valiant artist Raul Allen (NINJAK, Hawkeye)! On November 18th, BOOK OF DEATH’s immortal master of war steps out of the most successful independent comic book of the decade and into a major new milestone for the Valiant Universe when the Eternal Warrior begins an epic battle to escape the kingdom of the dead and return to the world he was sworn to protect!

"From X-O MANOWAR to ARMOR HUNTERS to BOOK OF DEATH, Robert Venditti has played a key role in shaping the course of the Valiant Universe. Now, he's bringing the same epic inspiration to WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR. You've never seen a comic book quite like this. You've never seen a story quite like this. It's risky, it's ambitious, and it's awesome," said Valiant Editor-in Chief Warren Simons.

"Helping us realize that vision is the phenomenally talented Raul Allen, who is quite simply one of the most exciting new voices in comics today," he added. "Together, Rob and Raul make one hell of a team and WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR is going to be one hell of a series."

For five millennia, the Eternal Warrior has shaped history at the end of his sword. He’s razed empires, toppled civilizations, and broken armies as an immortal soldier in service to the Earth. But now, the Eternal Warrior has fallen into the endless abyss of Hell itself…and finds himself stranded in a hostile alien landscape unlike any he’s ever faced. Separated from his earthly environs, can history’s deadliest soldier withstand a unearthly realm far older, far deadlier, and far more ruinous than anything he’s ever encountered before? Beyond the veil of life … eternity awaits …

"I can't go into too many details without giving away spoilers about how BOOK OF DEATH is going to play out, but what I can say is that in the entire history of Gilad as a character – even going back to the original Valiant continuity – we've seen him face countless challenges in all sorts of locations throughout all sorts of eras," said series writer Robert Venditti. "But I can promise you that what he's going to face here is something that we’ve never seen him face before. It's a completely new way of looking at the character and examining what he has to go through in order to be the Eternal Warrior."

"I think [WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR is] a totally new perspective on the character,” series writer Robert Venditti told Comic Book Resources. “In the days of old Valiant, we always saw [the Eternal Warrior] as a hero who charged into battle, but I don't know that the motives were always clear -- and certainly not the cost. We'd look at him and think sure, I'd want to live forever. But as we go through this series, we see what he has to sacrifice to be immortal -- and we also see how his loved ones all eventually pass on, and what he has lost over the centuries. He has regrets, failures and losses for a hundred lives.”

"There are lots of immortal characters in comics and pop culture, but the way I'm approaching the character is a different take on that," series writer Robert Venditti told Vulture.com. "What gets you out of bed in the morning? For him to get out of the grave every time and be immortal again, he has to be an eternal optimist. For a character like that to have seen everything he's seen and to still be optimistic and to still believe that there's more beauty than ugliness in the world, that the war can eventually be won? That’s something that I believe myself. I believe we're inherently good."

"[WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR] is a take on immortality that I don’t recall having seen before." said series writer Robert Venditti. "It’s going to deal much more with immortality as a concept and focus a lot on the cost of being immortal. What does Gilad have to sacrifice in order to do what he does? And, even more importantly, why does he do it? Why does he sacrifice? Why does he fight for us when he could give up if he wanted to… We’ll be spending a lot of time on those kinds of themes, introducing ideas and conflicts that we haven’t ever seen him encounter before, right from page one."

On November 18th, Valiant superstars Robert Venditti and Raul Allen plunge the Eternal Warrior into the raging inferno beyond the bounds of the Valiant Universe … and begin the battle-hardened road back to the world of man, only in WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1! Featuring covers by David Lafuente (Ultimate Spider-Man), Raul Allen (NINJAK), Cary Nord (X-O MANOWAR), Marcos Martin (The Private Eye), Dave Lanphear (QUANTUM AND WOODY), and Lewis LaRosa (BLOODSHOT), find out why critics are calling Valiant’s next tentpole series a staggering odyssey that no comic fan can afford to miss:

“★★★★★ … A stunning and dazzling debut … WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 firmly establishes itself as the best first issue to come out of Valiant yet.” – All-Comic

“WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 invigorates an immortal hero … Robert Venditti, Raul Allen and Patricia Martin have crafted a narrative bursting with creativity and intrigue.” – The Beat

“Beautiful and powerful… Venditti and Allen [have] put out a startlingly great first issue that looks to provide new insight into Valiant’s most noble characters.” – Four Letter Nerd

“Writer Robert Venditti clearly loves working on Eternal Warrior … [WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1] is a great jumping-on point for those who liked what they saw in BOOK OF DEATH…” – Comic Crusaders

“Haunted by sinister moments … Expect to get a downpour of action, emotional drama and a whole lot of corpses. It’s going to be a fun ride.” – Infinite Comix

For more information, visit Valiant on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and at ValiantUniverse.com.

PLUS: BATTLE AXES!

Valiant to Supply Retailers with Customized Battle Axes for Launch of WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1

(No Valiant Creators or Staff Have Cut Themselves…Yet)

1936740520?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936740841?profile=RESIZE_180x180In honor of the launch of Valiant's latest tentpole ongoing series – WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 by New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti and newly Valiant-exclusive artist Raul Allen – Valiant Entertainment will be providing select comics retailers across North America with custom-engraved, full-size battle axes in advance of the first issue's November 18th launch.

Emblazoned with the WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR logo on the blade and standing 27 inches tall, these once-in-a-lifetime, real-world replications of the Eternal Warrior's signature weapon will be provided free of charge to participating retail stores in the United States and Canada that have enlisted in Valiant's WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 retailer exclusive program. Other retailers interested in obtaining a custom WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR battle axe can submit a request to Valiant directly via the retailers@valiantentertainment.com email address.

"WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 is already on track to become one of Valiant's single biggest releases of the year, and we want to give our retail partners a razor-sharp token of appreciation for making 2015 Valiant Entertainment's most successful year yet," said Valiant Publisher Fred Pierce. "There is a long-term plan in place for the Eternal Warrior, and, as you'll soon see in WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1, the character is about to take his rightful place as one of single most important heroes in the Valiant Universe. What better way to show the world we mean it than with a two-handed implement of destruction in stores nationwide? Whether you're a dedicated fan or a 7,000-year-old immortal soldier, these distinctive comic collectibles will be the ultimate accent to your local comic shop, bar none."

I've written together at least five different press releases. Valiant is proud of this one!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

ZEN: HARD BOUNTY #1

STK684755.jpg?width=250Publisher: DEVILS DUE /1FIRST COMICS, LLC

Writer: STEVE STEM

Art/Cover: MARAT MYCHAELS

$3.99

A brand new comic book series starring one of the most popular characters of all time! Zen Intergalactic Ninja is one of the few independent titles with more than 100 comic books to date. This kid friendly book is written by co-creator Steve Stern with gorgeous art by Marat Mychaels.

I don't know much about Zen: Intergalactic Ninja, except that he has been around for a while. But was he always so buff?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

• The Rook was a Warren character from Bill DuBay era. He appeared in his own title in the late 70s/early 80s, which the GCD lists as The Rook Magazine. Lee Elias drew some of the stories. Apparently he first appeared in Eerie #82 in a story by DuBay and Luis Bermejo (where he was cover-featured).

Star-Lord initially appeared in Marvel's magazine line before moving into newsstand comics. His first story, in Marvel Preview #4, was by Steve Englehart and Steve Gan. Englehart meant him to grow over the series, as he explains here, so he was unlikeable in the first instalment. But the bigger issue may have been that what he could do wasn't every interesting. I think he could fly around in space without a spacesuit, had a ray gun, and his spaceship talked to him. Claremont wrote his other Marvel Preview appearances. Apparently Doug Moench took over thereafter. I've not seen any of the later tales. His second story, in Marvel Preview #11, was by Claremont and John Byrne.

There was a mid-50s feature called "Tomboy" that appeared in Captain Flash from Sterling and was drawn by Mort Meskin. The premise was really a joke: the heroine was a pre-teen girl in a costume, but crooks feared her, the police valued her help etc. It was played absolutely straight. The Action Lab character doesn't have the same secret ID but it may have taken the name from her. The original character looked a lot like the movie version of Hit-Girl.

• I've been trade-waiting the Ms. Marvel book, but I've been really enjoying it .Strongly recommended.

I'll probably have to  special order the Mizuki book, my local isn't always good on manga.

• Baron, I've already ordered Mizuki's Hitler from Amazon. Didn't want to miss it. I still haven't ordered the Showa books, though, because I'm hoping for a slipcase or omnibus version. The wait is killing me!

Thanks for the research, Luke. The part I got wrong was Claremont being Star-Lord's creator -- as you note, he wrote the majority of his early appearances, but not the first one. I do remember not liking the guy at all, and -- as you note again -- his super-powers were pretty boring. Something else that annoyed me back then that the movie picked up on is that he wasn't "lord" of anything, so his title was laughably egotistical, although it was originally played straight.

• MS. MARVEL #1

I've never actually read an issue of this. Should I order all the TPBs, Legionnaires? Is it as good as the reviews indicate?

I second the Baron's recommendation. Since I am a certified old fart, you can take my word that you will LOVE Kamala Khan. Trade-waiting too, I'm currently reading volume 3.

• I  enjoyed the Showa bookks,too.

• On the other hand......
    I just picked up trades 2 and 3 due to the rave reviews I had seen....but..

...sorry, I wasn't bowled over.
    I like and applaud the diverse background but the power set is too vague for me, the sassy dialogue and cartoonish artwork grated on me.
    I'm old School. I like that this is being produced - but and I say this understanding it may not be a popular view - it is NOT for everyone.
    Sorry.

Richard Willis said:

MS. MARVEL #1

I second the Baron's recommendation. Since I am a certified old fart, you can take my word that you will LOVE Kamala Khan. Trade-waiting too, I'm currently reading volume 3.

• That's the first negative review of Ms. Marvel I've read, Richard, and gives me pause -- I'm no fan of cartoony art in superhero comics.

• I disagree that the art is cartoony.  Squirrel Girl's art is cartoony (It's the only thing I don't like about that book), but for myself I wouldn't say that Ms. Marvel's art is cartoony.

• 1936734038?profile=originalCartoony is in the eye of the beholder. Does this look cartoony to you?

This reply was deleted.