Comics Guide for November 4, 2015

It's a huge week in comics -- or "YOUUUUUGE," as Trump would say -- with lots of first issues, previews, press releases and great comics worth mention. Hold on to your wallets, and let's go ... !

DARK HORSE COMICS

ARCHIE VS. PREDATOR (HC)

Writer: ALEX DE CAMPI

Pencils/Cover: FERNANDO RUIZ

Inks/Cover: RICH KOSLOWSKI

Colors: JASON MILLET

FC, 128 pages, $19.99

HC, 7" x 10"

When Archie and friends head south for Spring Break, party games and beach games are soon replaced by the Most Dangerous Game! As the unparalleled fierceness of Betty and Veronica lures the trophy-collecting Predator to Riverdale, will the kids even realize they’re in danger before it claims them all?! Collecting issues #1-4 of the smash-hit series!

“A mash-up for the ages.” -- USA Today

Archie vs. Predator #1 is a gift from God himself.” -- Comic Book Resources

“The essence of what makes Archie comics work in conflict with what makes Predator work.” -- Multiversity Comics

“If you thought Archie Meets the Punisher was bizarre, you haven’t seen anything yet.” -- IGN

At first I was appalled by the violence in this series, but the learned minds here taught me how to read it as black humor, and I found myself enjoying the book. Now I recommend it.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

BARB WIRE #5

Writer: CHRIS WARNER

Pencils: PATRICK OLLIFFE

Inks: TOM NGUYEN

Colors: GABE ELTAEB

Cover: ADAM HUGHES

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Ongoing 

After yet another bruising run-in with a superpowered psychopath, bounty hunter Barb Wire finds herself in the custody of shadowy federal agents who will stop at nothing to extract the information they seek. Barb has two ways to go: the hard way or the harder way!

“Barb Wire, the baddest bounty hunter around, is back.” -- Comic Book Resources

We've watched Barb get pushed around by supervillains, bar patrons, banks and gang-bangers. Now she's getting pushed around by the government. Always a treat to see a strong woman humiliated and abused, and her frustration treated as humor. Just hilarious.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III #1

Writer: LARRY HAMA

Art: MARCELO FERREIRA

Colors: DAN JACKSON

Cover: BENJAMIN CARRÉ

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

THE FUTURE OF WARFARE IS HERE!

Dark Horse Comics, Activision Publishing, Inc., and Treyarch have teamed up to deliver a thrilling comic book series written by decorated comics veteran Larry Hama (G.I. Joe) and drawn by Marcelo Ferreira (Transformers, TMNT)!

The Call of Duty®: Black Ops III comic book series follows an elite group of cybernetically enhanced soldiers as they wage a secret war across a futuristic, war-torn world transformed by technology.

In the first issue, the elite squad infiltrates Tashkent, Uzbekistan, to take down a double agent ... but as they close in, the operatives uncover something much more sinister at hand.

Fans of the hit video game franchise can pick up a free exclusive minicomic at the show, available for the first time at San Diego Comic-Con International 2015. Visit Dark Horse Comics (booth #2615) or the Activision activation site to get a copy! (Warning: This comic contains violence and may not be suitable for those under 18 years of age.)

I tried to read this, despite not being in the target market. It's a bunch of tough, gung ho types doing and saying what tough, gung ho types do in these magical books where our guys are not only virtually supernatural (Bullets always miss! One guy can kill five in hand-to-hand combat!) but are always the heroes despite the terrible things they do. Further, they're virtually interchangeable, only distinguishable by skin color or favorite accessory. Pass.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DEAD VENGEANCE #2 (OF 4)

Writer/Pencils/Cover: BILL MORRISON

Inks: KEITH CHAMPAGNE

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

Can the carnival’s fortunetelling femme fatale, Madame Cansino, help the newly reanimated amnesiac John Doe fill in his memory gaps -- or will she lead him to his doom?

• Perfect for fans of The Goon!

• From Bill Morrison (The Simpsons)!

The 10-year gap in John's memory is explained, and it's a twist I didn't see coming. Also, John of 10 years ago seems to get over his dead wife with a quickness when he meets a hot fortune teller at a circus, which does not endear him to me. But the peasant art is pleasant and tough-guy dialogue will keep me coming back for another issue, although I remain on the fence.

JOE GOLEM: OCCULT DETECTIVE #1 (OF 5)

Writers: MIKE MIGNOLA, CHRISTOPHER GOLDEN

Art: PATRIC REYNOLDS

Colors: DAVE STEWART

Cover: DAVE PALUMBO

FC, 32 pages, $3.50, Miniseries

New from Mike Mignola!

Legendary Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novelist Christopher Golden and Dark Horse Comics will unleash the first ever comic book appearance of their character Joe Golem from their novel Joe Golem and the Drowning City. A five-issue Joe Golem: Occult Detective miniseries will be co-written by frequent collaborators Mignola and Golden, with art by Patric Reynolds (Serenity), colors by award winning colorist Dave Stewart and covers by Spectrum Award-winning painter Dave Palumbo. The new series takes place prior to the events of the illustrated novel Joe Golem and the Drowning City. Set forty years after an earthquake leaves Lower Manhattan partly submerged under 30 feet of water, Joe Golem must hunt a horrifying creature that is pulling children into the depths of the city’s canals.

“For years now, since we first saw Baltimore work as a comic, Chris and I have talked about doing comic book sequels and prequels to Joe Golem,” said Mike Mignola. “But, as always, we needed to find just the right artist and when I saw Patric Reynolds’ recent work on an Alien comic I knew he could pull off the world we created in the novel and capture the mood we were looking for. When you find the right artist for something you don't want to let him get away.”

Like their collaboration on the Baltimore graphic novels, the events of Joe Golem take place outside of the “Mignolaverse”, the strange, shared universe inhabited by Hellboy, BPRD, Abe Sapien and Frankenstein Underground. The horror of Joe Golem is distinctly urban; the series offers a haunting dystopian mid-twentieth century New York.

"Joe Golem is full of pulpy goodness, weird alternate history, monsters, and magic and it's full of insanity you're not going to find anywhere else." said Golden. “We're telling the story of Joe Golem: Occult Detective, solving mysteries in the flooded streets of mid-20th century lower Manhattan with the ancient Simon Church, who's keeping himself alive with magic and machinery at the same time he's keeping Joe in the dark about his own origins. We want to immerse you in Joe's world, what life is like in the Drowning City, and with issue one, we dive right in."

Mignola and Golden are currently writing BALTIMORE: THE CULT OF THE RED KING, with art by award winning children’s book illustrator Peter Bergting, colors by the award winning Dave Stewart and stunning covers by Ben Stenbeck (FRANKENSTEIN UNDERGROUND). Golden’s most recent novel, TIN MEN, was published by Ballantine Books earlier this month.

I haven't read the novel where Joe Golem first appeared, but this first issue -- as a first issue should -- tells you what you need to know to enjoy the current story.

And it is a good story. Clearly, private detective "Joe Golem" is, in fact, the golem of legend, brought to life by lightning. He has dreams of his previous existence that inform the reader and provide counterpoint to the current story (like the flashbacks in Arrow), but which his partner and mentor, Det. Simon Church, drugs him to make him forget. (And clearly there's a lot more to Det. Church than it would appear -- he may also be in those flashbacks, and is "self-medicating" in a very strange way.)

Both are operating in a milieu entirely separate from Mignola's two other "universes," those starring Hellboy and Lord Baltimore. In this one, an earthquake in 1925 sank half of New York, which is now nicknamed "The Drowning City." Apt, since lower Manhattan is now like Venice, with the streets now essentially canals. 

But Joe isn't the only not-quite-human character in this world, and it appears he may specially in cases involving them -- "crazy stories ... that turn out to be true." Hard to say in a first issue, but that's what my Comics Radar is telling me. And in this one, he's in search of a child-snatcher perfectly suited to this world, some sort of mer-monster that lives in the canals.

Joe also meets an attractive, noble-to-a-fault young lady, whom we will no doubt see again. That's a lot of set-up for one first issue, all of it pretty interesting, so kudos to Mignola and Golden. These guys hardly ever make a misstep, and here they construct an inviting world and story that hangs together perfectly.

As to the art, at first I didn't like it -- it was a bit too sketchy for my taste, a bit too unpolished or unfinished. On a second read, though, it grew on me. Reynolds is more impressionistic than most artists, creating buildings and people with shadow instead of line. He doesn't go full chiaroscuro, but stays somewhere in between, so there's a naturalistic quality that can be more like an Old Master painting than standard comics art. If you're a fan of Gene Colan, or "The Night Watch," you'll be pleased here.

Bring on issue #2!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

Mike Mignola. Photo by Christine Mignola

Michael Golden. Photo by Shivohn Kacy Fleming

THE ORDER OF THE FORGE (TPB)

Writer: VICTOR GISCHLER

Art: TAZIO BETTIN

Cover: JUAN FERREYRA

FC, 80 pages, $14.99, TPB, 7" x 10"

Before he fathered a nation, young George Washington forged his legend in blood! Imbued with the mystical powers of America’s original inhabitants, George -- along with his friends Ben Franklin and Paul Revere -- must stop an evil governor who wishes to rule an empire! Collects issues #1-3.

• A dark fantasy/historical fiction genre smash-up!

• For fans of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter!

Dopey fun, and if you approach it that way, worth the ride.

Although I had to roll my eyes when the story went out of its way to make the love interest a woman of Asian indian descent, yet none of the white people in this 18th century milieu bat an eye when she and George get all snuggle-bunnies. I'm all for diversity, but that's ignoring historical reality -- and as I always say, we can't whitewash history or we'll repeat our mistakes. George Washington was historically a good man in many ways -- especially his Cincinnatus routine -- but he was a man of his time and would have regarded any non-white person as an inferior, a few steps above a monkey. He was a slaveholder, for God's sake. His contemporaries were no better, and this woman -- despite her contributions and skills -- would have been met with condescension, disregard and/or hostility by our Founding Fathers. Writing a story that depicts anything other is dishonest.

Of course, the main characters here -- Washington, Paul Revere and Benjamin Franklin -- diverge from their historical counterparts in other ways, so maybe my irritation is misplaced. It is, after all, just a piece of fiction.

Also: Tazio Bettin appears to enjoy drawing naked boobs. Which is fine, especially since he or she is pretty good at it. And the boobs appear in appropriate places, like brothels, so their presence is supported by the story. Mostly.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

USAGI YOJIMBO GALLERY EDITION VOLUME 1: SAMURAI AND OTHER STORIES (HC)

Writer/Art/Cover: STAN SAKAI

FC, 240 pages, $125.00, HC, 12” x 17”

Hailed as one of the true masterpieces of the comics medium, Usagi Yojimbo gets its first gallery edition, reproducing Stan Sakai’s breathtaking artwork at full size and in living color. This edition includes the art from the very first Usagi story, the complete origin tale “Samurai,” and more!

• Includes extra, never-before-seen art and a new introduction by Sakai!

• The ultimate edition for Usagi fans!

This looks like a treat for Usagi Yojimbo fans.

DC COMICS

LOONEY TUNES VARIANTS

This month's variant covers at DC incorporate the Warner Bros. library of Looney Tunes characters, including (from left) Detective Comics #46, Green Arrow #46 and Green Lantern #46. The Green Lantern cover is kinda funny, with Marvin the Martian reprising the cover of Green Lantern (third series) #49.

DC COMICS BOOK AND DVD/BLU-RAY SLIPCASE SET

On sale TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 1 • $145.99 US

All six book-and-animated movie sets are also available in this amazing slipcase set! Each includes a hardcover book plus the animated movie inspired by the book in both Blu-Ray and DVD formats on two discs! This set includes:

• BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE

• THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN

• BATMAN YEAR ONE

• JUSTICE LEAGUE ORIGIN

• JLA EARTH 2

• WONDER WOMAN: GODS AND MORTALS

I find these sorts of sets remarkable, although I don't own any. When I was younger I'd probably have set out to collect them all. They would sure look snazzy on a bookshelf.

DARKSEID WAR

Two one-shots from the "Darkseid War" come out this week. I don't know much about 'em, but here they are:

JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR – THE FLASH #1

Written by ROB WILLIAMS

Art by JESUS MERINO

Cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

ONE-SHOT • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

The Flash is forced to take on the role of the Black Racer, harbinger of death! But can anyone escape this unlikely grim reaper?

JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR – SUPERMAN #1

Written by FRANCIS MANAPUL

Art by BONG DAZO

Cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

ADVANCE SOLICIT • ONE-SHOT • 32 pg, FC, • $3.99 US • RATED T

Evolving into a God of Strength, Superman has become an angry, violent brute. But what unlikely hero can save him?

LUTHOR (TPB)

Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art by LEE BERMEJO, MICK GRAY and KARL STORY

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

144 pg, FC, $14.99 US

Collected from the 5-issue miniseries LEX LUTHOR: MAN OF STEEL, LUTHOR reveals why the genius villain chooses to be the proverbial thorn in the Man of Steel’s side: to save humanity from the untrustworthy alien being. Includes new additional story pages, sketch material, and more!

I found the miniseries this book collects to only have been mildly interesting, mainly memorable for having the comic book origin of Hope, Luthor's chauffeur/bodyguard, who first debuted on Superman: The Animated Series (IIRC).So I'm not sure I can really recommend it.

But that's one heck of a cover, innit?

SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP #13

Written by SHOLLY FISCH

Art and cover by DARIO BRIZUELA

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

There’s nothing unusual about ghosts disappearing -- but if other ghosts don’t know what happened to them, there’s a mystery afoot! When the Phantom Stranger recruits Scooby and the gang to follow a trail of clues, things get even stranger -- like seeing an unexpectedly brave Shaggy leaping acrobatically into the fray (mainly because he’s possessed by the hero known as Deadman)!

This is worth getting just to see once again the pre-Flashpoint versions of Phantom Stranger, Spectre and Deadman, who are infinitely superior to the current versions. Well, at least in the case of Phantom Stranger. That character is just unreadable now.

UNFOLLOW #1

Written by ROB WILLIAMS

Art by MICHAEL DOWLING

Cover by MATT TAYLOR

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

A dying social media mogul leaves his billions to be split evenly between 140 random people -- or however many of them are still alive at the moment of his death. Rob Williams (MARTIAN MANHUNTER, THE ROYALS: MASTERS OF WAR) and Michael Dowling (Death Sentence) assemble a cast that includes a young black man trying to get by in St. Louis, an Iranian reporter in need of hope, a retired special forces soldier with a strange sense of purpose, and a thrill-seeking heiress, in this thriller that shows we’re all still part of the food chain.

Ooooh, a new Vertigo series! It's titled after a function of Facebook, which nobody under the age of 30 uses any more, but it's still probably worth a look.

IDW PUBLISHING

DISNEY BOOKS

IDW/Disney releases two books this week, and here they be.

Donald Duck is growing on me, even though Donald, Uncle Scrooge and the three boys genuinely seem to dislike each other at times. Carl Barks' light touch, where the love these characters had for each other showed through their petty arguments, is entirely absent.

Mickey Mouse has been excellent from the get-go, informing this old duffer for the first time what's appealing about this character.

DONALD DUCK #7

Writers: LARS JENSEN, DAVID GERSTEIN

Art: FLEMMING ANDERSEN, TONY STROBL

Cover: ANDREA FRECCERO

Subscription Variant: JOHN LOTER

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

“Truth or Consequences”: Because you asked for it, Donald reluctantly rejoins the Tamers of Nonhuman Threats -- just in time to chase a monstrous water horse around the high streets of Europe!

• Donald Duck makes the world’s worst paranormalist—but that’s just why fans love his adventures in the Tamers of Nonhuman Threats! Light the “TNT” for the first time at IDW!

• Continues this beloved series’ legacy numbering at #374.

• 40 action-packed pages for only $3.99!

• “Disney Legacy” ToonTown cover by Derek Charm!

MICKEY MOUSE #6

Writers: ANDREA “CASTY” CASTELLAN, JOE TORCIVIA, BILL WRIGHT

Art: ANDREA CASTELLAN, BILL WRIGHT

Cover: ANDREA CASTELLAN

Subscription Variant: CESAR FEROLI

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

“Plan Dine From Outer Space!” Mickey and Eega Beeva didn’t expect to spend the weekend saving Earth from a planet-size, planet-eating worm -- but it could happen!

• Andrea “Casty” Castellan, modern “heir” of Floyd Gottfredson and Romano Scarpa, returns as both writer and artist -- with a masterful Mickey sci-fi epic!

•  Continues this classic series’ legacy numbering at #315!

• 40 action-packed pages for only $3.99!

•  Disney’s new Mickey Mouse cartoon shorts are now enjoying their third season on TV! Now it’s time to catch our mischievous Mouse in print -- if you can hold him down!

•  “Disney Legacy” ToonTown cover by Derek Charm!

MIRACLEMAN ARTIFACT EDITION (HC)

Writer: THE ORIGINAL WRITER

Art: GARRY LEACH, ALAN DAVIS, JOHN TOTLEBEN, AND MORE

Cover: JOHN TOTLEBEN

HC • BW • $95.00 net discount item • 144 Pages • 15" x 20"

Miracleman was launched 30 years ago in the now legendary Warrior magazine. It turned the concept of "super-hero" on its ear with big ideas that helped redefine an entire genre... when Miracleman fought Kid Miracleman on the streets of London ... well, things would never be the same.

And then there was the art.

Miracle Man had a true knack for bringing out the best work from extraordinary artists. Starting with co-creator Garry Leach, followed by Alan Davis (and others) and finishing with one of the most amazing endings in comics history by the phenomenal John Totleben, Miracle Man was a work of art painted on a grand canvas, unlike anything before or since.

This is a book that might genuinely deserve the "Artifact" treatment.

SHERLOCK HOLMES: THE SEVEN-PER-CENT SOLUTION #4 (OF 5)

Writers: DAVID & SCOTT TIPTON

Art: RON JOSEPH

Cover: KELLEY JONES

Subscription Variant: JUAN CARLOS RUIZ

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

With the help of Sigmund Freud, Sherlock Holmes is on the mend. However, it seems that where Holmes goes, trouble follows, as Holmes and Watson uncover a mystery that could lead the world to the brink of war! The adaptation of Meyer’s best-selling novel continues!

I read the first three issues last week, and despite the fact that I still don't consider this story canon -- Holes, especially, is a bit out of character -- it's pretty good. I figure it's a story from Earth-WD40 or someplace, where the Sherlock there is only a close approximation of our Great Detective, which helps me put any reservations aside. The art is nice, too, and the covers -- as you can see above -- are old-timey and well done.

STAR TREK NEW VISIONS: THE HOLLOW MAN

Writer/Photo-Manipulation: JOHN BYRNE

FC • 48 pages • $7.99

A mysterious message draws Mr. Spock on a solo mission to a distant part of the Federation, where an old friend awaits, as well as a menace with the potential to threaten the entire galaxy.

Thanks to the nagging of Jeff of Earth-J, I'm reading these now and thoroughly enjoying them. Byrne really gets the rhythm of those old shows, in both pacing and dialogue.

ARTIST'S EDITION VARIANTS

IDW's Artist's Edition covers will continue for a while beyond October, since a number of books were delayed (which is pretty typical for IDW). This week's only AE cover is Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #46.

IMAGE COMICS

FLUIT NOTES PICKS

Columnist Chris Fluit had nice things to say about the first issues of these two books.

AXCEND #2

Story/Art: SHANE DAVIS

Covers: SHANE DAVIS, MICHELLE DELECKI, & MORRY HOLLOWELL

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

The virtual world, Axcend, continues to spill out into reality. We follow the fiery pop star Rain, the next player to activate. Rain and the mysterious A.I. DOG must enlist the help of gamer Eric Morn to get to Ruin before he activates into a catastrophic rampage. Can the trio reconcile their differences in time to save our world?

PAPER GIRLS #2

Sory: BRIAN K. VAUGHAN

Art: CLIFF CHIANG & MATTHEW WILSON

Cover: CLIFF CHIANG

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

The hottest new ongoing series of the year continues, as the Paper Girls witness the impossible.

CITIZEN JACK #1

Story: SAM HUMPHRIES

Art/Cover A: TOMMY PATTERSON

Cover B: CHIP ZDARKSY

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

A HORROR-COMEDY FOR ANYONE WHO HATES POLITICS!

Every presidential candidate has a skeleton in their closet -- Jack Northworthy worships the devil! A scandal-plagued small town politician, Jack should in no way be president. But he's got a secret weapon: Marlinspike, a malevolent demon of high ambitions. Together, they're running for president in an outrageous campaign that America will never forget! Blockbuster writer SAM HUMPHRIES (Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men: Black Vortex) and New York Times bestselling artist TOMMY PATTERSON (Game of Thrones) debut a brand new ONGOING SERIES with a DIABOLICAL EXTRA-SIZED FIRST ISSUE!

Sadly, this book about presidential politics cannot get crazy enough to top reality.

MONSTRESS #1

Story: MARJORIE LIU

Art/Cover: SANA TAKEDA

72 PAGES / FC / M / $4.99

Astonishing X-Men and Black Widow writer MARJORIE LIU returns to comics with artist SANA TAKEDA (X-23) for an all-new ONGOING SERIES! Steampunk meets Kaiju in this original fantasy epic for mature readers, as young Maika risks everything to control her psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, placing her in the center of a devastating war between human and otherworldly forces. The adventure begins in a spectacular TRIPLE-SIZED FIRST ISSUE, with SIXTY-SIX pages of story and no ads for this one-time price of $4.99!

Wow, another new Image book! And a triple-size one at that!

MARVEL COMICS

CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #2

Writer: AL EWING

Art/Cover: PACO MEDINA

Connecting Variant Cover B by RON LIM

Game Variant by TBA

Classic Variant by TBA

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

• Ares lives!

• The god of War vs. Maestro … and Iron Man & Gamora!

• Who is the shadowy player scheming with the Grandmaster? You’ll never guess!

I'm not going to buy this series -- seriously, the set-up is just slightly less ham-handed than fan fiction -- but it's good to see Ares again. Who knew I'd miss the big jerk? Also, I note that Maestro is using Cap's shield, some Thunder God's hammer, bits of Iron Man armor and -- what's that, Ronan's Universal Weapon? That makes a lot of sense, actually.

DEADPOOL #1

Written by GERRY DUGGAN

Art by MIKE HAWTHORNE

Cover by TONY MOORE

Variant Covers by KATIE COOK, KRIS ANKA, KAMOME SHIRAHAMA

Secret Comic Variant by SCOTT KOBLISH

Hip-Hop Variant by KAARE ANDREWS

Candy Variant by DAVE JOHNSON

Blank Cover Also Available

Meme Variant by TBA

40 PGS / RATED T+ / $4.99

He’s annoying, he’s dangerous and he smells terrible. But the public loves him! You heard right – Wade Wilson is the world’s most popular superhero! Take that Spidey! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look at DEADPOOL #1, the new ongoing series from fan-favorites Gerry Duggan and Mike Hawthorne! The Merc with a Mouth is now the Man With The Fans, and Wade is loving every second of it. Not to mention he’s an Avenger now. Yes we’re serious. But what happened in the eight months since Secret Wars to make him so popular? We’re not telling here! It’s Wade’s world and we’re just living in it. Bo be there for the start of his most successful adventure yet when DEADPOOL #1 crashes comic shops this November!

This character seems to have mirrored Harley Quinn's unlikely rise as a spoof superhero. Maybe they should date.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DOCTOR STRANGE #2

Writer: JASON AARON

Art/Cover: CHRIS BACHALO

Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

Variant by ALEX ROSS

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

• Take a tour of Doctor Strange’s home -- the Sanctum Sanctorum. It’s the weirdest and most dangerous place in the Marvel Universe! A place where opening the wrong door can unleash hell on Earth.

• Unfortunately for you and your fellow visitor, Zelma, Strange’s house is infested with something far worse than bed bugs!

The first issue was well done enough that my wife asked when the next one was coming out. And she hates Marvel, which she calls "fight comics." So, yeah, this book's pretty good.

DRAX #1

Written by CM PUNK & CULLEN BUNN

Art & Cover by SCOTT HEPBURN

Variant Covers by ED MCGUINNESS and SKOTTIE YOUNG

Hip-Hop Variant by MIKE CHOI

UFC FIGHTER CM PUNK MAKES HIS MIGHTY MARVEL DEBUT!

Destroying his very first ongoing series! That’s right, the muscle of the Guardians of the Galaxy is making his Mighty Marvel solo debut this November in DRAX #1! And he’s bringing along some can’t miss creators! World renowned UFC fighter CM Punk makes his ongoing series debut alongside fan-favorite co-writer Cullen Bunn and artist Scott Hepburn! So what does Drax do when he’s not hanging with the Guardians? He lets his bloodthirsty quest for revenge take the driver’s seat, of course! Determined to find and kill Thanos once and for all, Drax is ready to take on the universe. But when you’re tooling around the universe in a ship aptly named “The Space Sucker”, an unwavering desire for bloodshed isn’t enough to keep a mission from derailing. Drax crash lands into his wildest adventures ever, encountering foes no one will ever expect! The depths of space may not be big enough to contain this much grit, vengeance and all-out action!

“CM Punk has proven that he’s the best in the world in the wrestling ring and now he’s out to prove he’s the best in the Marvel Universe. How could you not want to read this book? I couldn’t be more excited for readers to see what Punk has in store for Drax the Destroyer!” – Jon Moisan, Editor

This doesn't look like a book I'd be interested in -- "Adventures of Dumb Strong Angry Guy" -- but the movie surprised me, so I'll try to keep an open mind.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #1

Writer: JEFF LEMIRE

Art/Cover: HUMBERTO RAMOS

Hip-Hop Variant by SANFORD GREENE

Cosplay Variant by AMANDA LYNNE SHAFER

Variant by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL

Blank Variant also available

40 PGS / RATED T+ / $4.99

Still Hated. Still Feared. Still Standing.

The fate of mutantkind is decided here! Prepare for a new team of X-Men for a new set of threats this fall as the Marvelous Mutants return in EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #1! Eisner Award-nominated writer Jeff Lemire (All-New Hawkeye, Sweet Tooth) joins chart-topping artist Humberto Ramos (Amazing Spider-Man) for the flagship X-Men title of the post-Secret Wars Marvel Universe!

Eight months have passed. The X-Men are in dire straits. A cataclysmic event that has altered the destinies of both Mutant and Inhuman. Many of the X-Men have gone missing – including their wayward leader Scott Summers. It will take the remaining X-Men to forge mutantkind into something stronger. Something … extraordinary! Now – Storm, Colossus, Magik, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Jean Grey and Old Man Logan will lead mutantkind headfirst into tomorrow.

“The chance to write the flagship X-Men book is a once in a lifetime opportunity,” says Lemire in an upcoming interview with Marvel.com. “It’s both exhilarating and somewhat intimidating. The X-Men have a staggering legacy and an extremely devoted fan base, so this is not an assignment I am taking lightly. I’ve poured everything I have into making this book something special. I don’t want to write just another X-Men run. I want the work Humberto and I do to stand up with the truly great X-Men runs. ”

Welcome to the new Marvel Universe, X-Men – hope you survive the experience!

For more information, visit Marvel.com tomorrow for the full interview with Jeff Lemire and Humberto Ramos!

Is this the first X-book since Secret Wars? Seems like it is. And from the look of things, maybe it's going to be the only one (set on Earth, anyway). Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

HERCULES #1

Written by DAN ABNETT

Art by LUKE ROSS

Cover by CLAY MANN

Variant Covers by SKOTTIE YOUNG & JAY ANACLETO

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Hip-Hop Variant by THEOTIS JONES

He’s been called many things, gone by many names, accomplished many heroic deeds. But now, it’s time for a new beginning. This November, the world’s first super hero is back in the game in HERCULES #1! Fan-favorite writer Dan Abnett (Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians 3000) and artist Luke Ross (Hulk, Secret Avengers) blast out of the gate with an explosive first issue that’ll show the world why he set the bar for heroism in the first place!

Protect the innocent, defend the world, save the day. Olympus’s favorite son is back like you’ve never seen him before! An ancient warrior in the modern day, Hercules battles everything from street-level crime to cosmic scale threats. Whether it’s protecting his block, his city or the entire world – no labor is too big or too small for the mighty Hercules! But a new evil has awoken – one that will push the demi-god to the limit and test his mighty resolve. The world’s first super hero is back in the fight,  but will his new lease on life be short lived?

“Hercules is fun, brash and one of Marvel’s more interesting characters because of his connections to both the Avengers as well as ancient Greek mythology,” says series Editor Katie Kubert. “A hero of all eras, he’s trying to reestablish what being a hero means today, and what better place to attempt to do that than NYC with his buddy Gilgamesh at his side? “

Witness the Marvel Universe through the eyes of one of its most powerful warriors, and the heart of a true champion. Ancient hero meets modern day this November in the bombastic debut of HERCULES #1!

Written well, this could be a very fun, very funny book. It could also have strong dramatic moments, especially when mining the character's past (which is open to lots of interpretation). The preview seems to suggest this approach, and Dan Abnett's a strong writer, so he could pull it off.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

HOWARD THE DUCK #1

Written by CHIP ZDARSKY & CHRISTOPHER HASTINGS

Art by JOE QUINONES & DANILO BEYRUTH

Variant Covers by JOE QUINONES, DAVID AJA, BOB MCLEOD

Gwenpool Variant by RON LIM

Hip-Hop Variant by JUAN DOE

Movie Variant by YASMINE PUTRI

He’s back! That Marvelous Mallard. That Foul Fowl. We’re talking about the one and only Howard the Duck – coming to you this November for a brand-new HOWARD THE DUCK #1! Don’t miss your chance to jump on board the series the world is talking about before they keep talking about it without you! Along with his shape shifting companion Tara Tam and new office administrator Aunt May, he’ll take on the hard cases no mere man nor duck will touch. Plus, don’t miss a special backup story featuring the highly anticipated debut of Gwenpool! Written by Christopher Hastings with art by Danilo Beyruth – be there as this new character makes her way to the Marvel Universe for the very first time. It’s all happening this November in the can’t miss HOWARD THE DUCK #1!

As I've mentioned before, HTD died for me when Steve Gerber did, and I have no interest in the character's further adventures. (Until one of you talks me into it, that is.)

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #3

Writer: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art/Cover: DAVID MARQUEZ

Variant Cover by STEVE EPTING

• Tony is chasing the evil Madame Masque as her actions threaten to rip all of reality apart! But it is WHO Tony is teaming up with to do this that will have everyone talking.

• And a real good look at exactly what Iron Man’s new armor does…and it is something!

Marvel sent me three covers. Here you go!

JAMES PATTERSON’S MAX RIDE: ULTIMATE FLIGHT #1 (of 5)

Written by JODY HOUSER

Art by R.B. SILVA

Cover by YASMINE PUTRI

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

Max and the Flock are back! Today, Marvel and international best-selling author James Patterson are pleased to announce the continuation of the Max Ride saga with JAMES PATTERSON’S MAX RIDE: ULTIMATE FLIGHT #1, a brand new series set to debut this November!

Writer Jody Houser (Avengers: No More Bullying, Orphan Black) and artist R.B. Silva (Spider-Man & The X-Men, Secret Wars Journal) take the reins on the fast paced high stakes adventures of Max, a teenage girl, who due to genetic tampering is part human and part avian! After escaping from their creators and now on the run, Max and her “Flock” use their extraordinary abilities to defend themselves and save the world. Now more determined than ever to learn the truth, they’ll stop at nothing to uncover the secrets of their origins and discover the limits of their new found abilities. But when a new stranger enters their lives, she’ll turn their whole world upside down!

“Seeing heroes who look like us give us an example to aspire to,” says Houser on the importance of young heroes. “It shows us possibilities of what we can be, what we’re capable of. More importantly, seeing versions of ourselves in stories shows us that we matter.”

Can Max save the world AND save her family? Or will she have to choose? A bold new adventure is about to take flight. Be there as the fantastic world of James Patterson soars off the pages as only Marvel can bring you in JAMES PATTERSON’S MAX RIDE: ULTIMATE FLIGHT #1!

This book seems aimed at some other demographic than the one I inhabit, and I will likely never read an issue. But it's a new Marvel #1, so it's my duty to post it.

MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM #4

Writer: NEIL GAIMAN

Art/Cover: MARK BUCKINGHAM

Variant cover by CHRIS SAMNEE

Variant cover by CHARLES PAUL WILSON III

48 PGS / Parental Advisory / $4.99

• Gaiman and Buckingham craft a bedtime story for the Golden Age!

• “Winter’s Tale” tells the journey of Miracleman’s daughter and her adventure crossing the cosmos to find the Qys.

• What — or who — has “Retrieval” brought back from Infra-Space?

• Including material originally presented in MIRACLEMAN (1985) #20, plus bonus content.

Three more covers. Enjoy!

NOVA #1

Written by SEAN RYAN

Art by CORY SMITH

Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS

Variant Cover by CHRIS SAMNEE

Hip-Hop Variant Cover by ERIC CANETTE

Cosplay Variant by CAP SANTIAGO

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

What’s that? TWO NOVAS?! Your eyes do not deceive you, True Believer. It’s a double dose of Human Rocket this November in the all-new NOVA #1 – the explosive new ongoing series from writer Sean Ryan and artist Cory Smith! Sam Alexander is still an Avenger and the Human Rocket, but these days he’s got his old man, Jesse, by his side! For the first time in years, there’s more than one Nova in the galaxy and things are finally starting to go Sam’s way! But what really happened to Jesse while he was stranded out in space? The answers begin here! Don’t miss a fresh start for the whole Alexander family as they blast headlong into All-New, All-Different Marvel in NOVA #1 – on sale in November!

I somehow missed the introduction of the Sam Alexander Nova, mainly because I really loathed the Richard Ryder version and have avoided anything Nova-like for quite a while. But maybe this is the version that will turn me around.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

SPIDER-GWEN #0Writer: JASON LATOUR

Art/Cover: ROBBI RODRIGUEZ

48 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

GWEN STACY: SPIDER-WOMAN! In one universe, it wasn’t Peter Parker bitten by the radioactive Spider, but Gwen Stacy! She’s smart, charming and can lift a car – Just don’t tell her Police Chief father! This special reprint of the top-selling EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #2 comes packed with bonus material including script pages, sketches and more!

Don't let the title fool you. This is just another reprint of Edge of Spider-Verse #2, from what seems now like a million years ago.

UNCANNY X-MEN #600

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art by CHRIS BACHALO, STUART IMMONEN, SARA PICHELLI, KRIS ANKA, DAVID MARQUEZ, FRAZER IRVING & MAHMUD ASRAR

Cover by CHRIS BACHALO

Variant Covers by ART ADAMS, PAUL SMITH, RICK LEONARDI, ADAM HUGHES, OLIVIER COIPEL, ED MCGUINNESS, LEINIL YU, and KRIS ANKA

Action Figure Variant A by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Action Figure Variant B by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Action Figure Variant C by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

56 PGS / Rated T+ / $5.99

Before Secret Wars ends and the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe begins, cap off Brian Michael Bendis’ epic X-Men run with a bang!

• The final explosive issue in Brian Michael Bendis’ epic X-Men saga!

• Scott Summers – savior or destroyer? Questions will be answered!

• The Jean Grey School, the New Xavier School – it’s all going to change.

• The X-Men are at a crossroads. And not everyone will make it through in one piece.

• Featuring 40 pages of a host of popular X-Men creators!

FINALLY!

And I should also mention that one of those covers up there is an homage to a splash page found in The X-Men #107 (1977), by Dave Cockrum (right)!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

THE VISION #1

Written by TOM KING

Art by GABRIEL HERNANDEZ WALTA

Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Variant Covers by MARCOS MARTIN & RYAN SOOK

Hip Hop Variant by VANESA DEL REY

What does it mean to be human? Is it to have emotions? Is it to have a family? This November, join Marvel’s synthezoid super hero as he searches for the answers in THE VISION #1 – a brand new ongoing series from writer Tom King and artist Gabriel Hernandez Walta! Be there as the longtime Avenger embarks on his most harrowing journey yet – being a family man.

“What I find fascinating about the Vision is his desire to be human,” says writer Tom King in an interview with Marvel.com. “I wanted to push on this idea, twist it, until maybe it breaks. Maybe Vision wants to be ordinary, he wants to be human – and what’s more ordinary than family? So Vision creates a family, finds them a home and tries to live an ordinary life. But that act, creating life, leads to problems he could not possibly imagine…”

Meet his wife, Virginia. His two teen twins – Viv and Vin. They look like him. They have his powers. They share in his greatest ambition – to be normal. But they are anything but. They’re the family next door and they have the power to destroy us all. And they’re holding a secret. What could possibly go wrong?

Behold The Visions! Making their debut this November in the can’t-miss THE VISION #1!

The Vision sure could stand a new take, instead of just repeating the same three storylines over and over. (They are: 1) Boo-hoo, I'm not human enough, 2) I have hidden Ultron programming and will betray the Avengers and 3) I have erased my emotions and am now very robot-like.) But is this new take one I want to see? Um ... I'll try to keep an open mind, but frankly, it looks pretty silly and saccharine.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OTHER PUBLISHERS

BLACK ROSE ALICE VOL 6 (GN)

STK686923.jpg?width=250Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: SETONA MIZUSHIRO

Mature/$9.99

Dimitri Lewandowski is a celebrated tenor in early 1900s Vienna. When he is killed in an accident, his corpse is colonized by the seeds of a vampire master. At first, Dimitri denies that anything has changed, but as the people around him start dying, he is forced to accept the ghastly truth.

A vampire story about an Edwardian era, Viennese opera singer? Man, the Japanese can make a comic book about anything, with full confidence it will sell. I am so impressed, and so envious. Maybe someday the U.S. market will reach this level of sophistication and widespread support.

BLANKETS (GN)

1936733518?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer/Art/Cover: CRAIG THOMPSON

592 pages • 7"x9" • B&W

TPB: $29.95 U.S./$35.95 CAN

HC: $39.95 U.S./$49.95 CAN

The graphic novel classic, available for the first time in new Drawn & Quarterly hardcover and trade paperback editions

Blankets is the story of a young man coming of age and finding the confidence to express his creative voice. Craig Thompson’s poignant graphic memoir plays out against the backdrop of a Midwestern winterscape: finely-hewn linework draws together a portrait of small town life, a rigorously fundamentalist Christian childhood, and a lonely, emotionally mixed-up adolescence.

Under an engulfing blanket of snow, Craig and Raina fall in love at winter church camp, revealing to one another their struggles with faith and their dreams of escape. Over time though, their personal demons resurface and their relationship falls apart. It’s a universal story, and Thompson’s vibrant brushstrokes and unique page designs make the familiar heartbreaking all over again.

This groundbreaking graphic novel, winner of two Eisner and three Harvey Awards, is an eloquent portrait of adolescent yearning; first love (and first heartache); faith in crisis; and the process of moving beyond all of that. Beautifully rendered in pen and ink, Thompson has created a love story that lasts.

I think I'm the only comics fan in the world who thought this memoir was silly and boring. I don't know about you, but when I lost my virginity, it was a lot more difficult than this, and nobody's parents approved of it, much less facilitated it. That makes my own story more dramatic than this one, to my mind. And yours, too, which I don't even know. In fact, I suspect everybody's first time was probably a better story than this. And the lead character, who had all this handed to him on a plate, and thought he was in love -- as everyone does at that age -- indulges in endless adolescent whining that I find tedious.

But I appear to be alone in this opinion. So go ahead and buy it again, everyone!

CAGE HERO #1

CageHero01CovARei.jpg?width=150Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: IAN PARKER, KEVIN EASTMAN, RIK HOSKIN

Art/Cover: RENATO REI

$3.99 / Teen+ / 32 pages

From the minds of Kevin Eastman (co-creator of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Ian Parker (MMA expert and former UFC Manager), and Mark Mastrandrea (MMA personality), comes Cage Hero! A middle school student and wrestling star, raised by his strict grandfather, finds himself on an epic journey to meet his true destiny when he is recruited to lead a super-powered team of mixed martial artists known as the Cage Heroes! Thirteen year-old Ryder Stone must meet the challenge to lead a group of young talented MMA fighters from across the globe, and still maintain his grade point average. Trained in their own unique martial art discipline, all connected by a secret past, this new team will have to dig deep with themselves to protect the world from an evil network known as the Shadow Empire.

I have no interest in wrestling, UFC, MMA or any of that stuff, so this isn't for me. But I'm glad to see it out there, for people who aren't me.

CAPTAIN FREEBIRD (GN)

STK687200.jpg?width=250Publisher: DEVILS DUE /1FIRST COMICS, LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: FILLBACH BROTHERS

$19.95

The fabulous Fillbach Bros., showing us what a true American Hero looks like! Captain Freebird is another Fillbach Bros.' character who takes only a few pages to sear his way into your memory.  Mayhem and mirth, a simply wonderful read.

I confess to some curiosity.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

CLASS PHOTO (GN)

STK684056.jpg?width=250Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: ROBERT TRIPTOW

$14.99

After stumbling across the class photo of a 1937 public school under a pile of garbage, Robert Triptow's imagination took off. The result is a charming and completely original graphic novella where each student's fictionalized life is depicted in one-page installments. Triptow weaves these lives in and out, mixing in social satire, elegant cartooning, occasionally disgusting hilarity, and plenty of good, clean fun. What began as an exercise has yielded one of the more engaging, original, and entertaining graphic books in recent memory.

I confess to even more curiosity. If I was writing and/or drawing graphic novels, I suspect this is the sort of thing I'd do.

DOCTOR WHO: THE ELEVENTH DOCTOR #2.2

1936735869?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936735882?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936735921?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936737740?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writers: SI SPURRIER AND ROB WILLIAMS

Artist: SIMON FRASER

Cover: ALEX RONALD

Subscription Variant: Photo

32 pages / SC / $3.99

DISCOVER THE TRUTH -- ON THE RUN!

The breathless chase through time and space continues, with the Doctor and Alice on the run over a crime committed by one of his previous incarnations! This issue -- things get complicated, quick, as a chainsword-wielding freelancer boards the TARDIS. Is he friend, foe, or something even worse?! With only minutes left before the implant in Alice's head gives their location away to the transtemporal bounty hunters on their tail, the Doctor won't have time to weigh his options -- and the consequences will be heavy!

Titan has provided variant covers and a preview, so here you go, Whovians!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DOCTOR WHO: THE EIGHTH DOCTOR #1

1936739879?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936741699?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936743952?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936745860?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936745878?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936748314?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936750049?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936750215?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936750440?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936752350?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publishers: TITAN COMICS

Writer: GEORGE MANN

Artist: EMMA VIECELI

Cover: ALICE X ZHANG

32 pages / SC / $3.99

RELEASE DATE: NOVEMBER 4

"I'M THE DOCTOR, AND I'D VERY MUCH LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IN MY HOUSE..."

Get ready for an all-new season of comics adventures featuring the Eighth Doctor, as played by Paul McGann in the Doctor Who movie, fan-favorite minisode Night of the Doctor... and over fourteen years (and counting!) of astounding Big Finish audio spectaculars!

Five amazing, interconnected new stories take the Doctor on a rollercoaster of threat and misadventure, as he investigates the mysteries surrounding his new companion Josie. Victorian magic shows, murderous trees, lost books, crystalline life-forms, barges in space crammed with the undead... and the grand journey all begins in a sleepy Welsh town... besieged by living paintings!

Buckle up for a wild ride that embraces all the Gothic Romance and interstellar terror of the Doctor's eighth incarnation!

Aaaaand here's another.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

EXMORTIS #1

STK684516.jpg?width=150Publisher: 451 MEDIA GROUP

Writers: ANDI EWINGTON, WILLIAMS

Art/Cover: RAYMUND BERMUDEZ

When the Nazis unearth the long lost diary of the infamous Dr. Victor Frankenstein they carry on his work reanimating the corpses of fallen soldiers and building an army of undead infantry to fend off the Allied liberation of Europe. To fight fire with fire, the Allies recruit a guerilla force of supernatural proportions, corralling a team of experts that included Jack Glendon aka Wolfman, Junior aka Frankenstein, Vlad aka Dracula, Erik Leroux aka the Phantom and Hans Volger aka the Gillman. The Deadly ½ Dozen become our nation's only hope and salvation against the Third Reich in an epic battle of gore and glory to stop the Red Menace and save the world from the most terrifying monster of them all -- Man.

So, if I'm reading this right, it's Creature Commandos/Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. vs. Nazi Frankensteins. That's really nothing new (which is only something you can say in comics). Still, it could be very good, or it could be very bad, depending on execution.

EXODUS: THE LIFE AFTER #1

2eae0240-5de1-4a34-bc0c-c10dd9de464d.jpg?width=25022c977b3-832e-45ef-a669-1eec534d0282.jpg?width=2501936754554?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

Writer:  JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV

Art/Cover: GABO

Mature/$3.99

Oni Press, Portland’s premier independent comic book publisher, presents Exodus: The Life After, the follow-up to Joshua Hale Fialkov and Gabo’s comedic epic of divine revolution. Issue #1 of Exodus: The Life After will debut on Nov. 4, 2015, beginning an ongoing monthly release.

In Exodus: The Life After Jude has been sent right back where he started: Purgatory. With no memory of his previous adventures or relationships, Jude's existence is stark and empty. Yet, just outside his awareness, his friends--including the late, great Ernest Hemingway and a very tenacious preteen girl--struggle to free him. Because in the quest to overthrow God himself, the only person who stands a chance is his son.

"All of my books are like my children, but, The Life After is something different,” asserts Fialkov.  “It's a playground for ideas and thoughts that gives me something that I don't necessarily get from my other series.  With Exodus: The Life After, Gabo and I are getting a chance to tell big epic stories with an intimacy that you can only do in comics, and, specifically, at Oni."

Issue #1 variant cover by Francesco Francavilla (The Black Beetle, Zorro, Black Panther) Oni Press is pleased to continue the story of The Life After in this new series which will deliver on the promise that began in 2014. Called “one of the most original and entertaining comics of the past year,” by Bleeding Cool, “wondrous and intriguing,” by IGN, and “the most promising series debut since Saga,” by Newsarama, The Life After was only the beginning of Joshua Hale Fialkov and Gabo’s boldly unique tale of the afterlife and its machinations. In Exodus: The Life After we will have the chance to learn what’s in store for Jude and his revolution, and see more of fan-favorite characters such as Essie, Hemingway and Ometochtli.

“Working on this book has been insanely amazing, mostly because Josh let's me do whatever the heck I want, within reason of course,” exudes Gabo. “Exodus ushers in a new era for us. Now that we've got the bass line set, Josh and I are gonna start laying down some of the funkiest comic notes ever witnessed. I hope ya'll brought yer dancing shoes, xoxo.”

I haven't been following this, but apparently the first series sold well enough to warrant a second. And I've liked Joshua Hale Fialkov since Tumor, so maybe I'm missing out!

Initially the Oni review copy link didn't work, so I didn't have time to read this before I had to post. But I'm going to in future.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

FACELESS GHOST (GN)

STK684581.jpg?width=150Publisher: SHAMBHALA

Writer: SEAN MICHAEL WILSON

Art/Cover: MICHIRU MORIKAWA

$16.95

Over one hundred years ago, the writer Lafcadio Hearn gathered and translated into English a selection of traditional Japanese ghost/mystery stories. They were published as Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things. In this new graphic novel, acclaimed manga creator Sean Michael Wilson retells six of these stories. All of them are very well known in Japan, where ghosts and demons are often called yokai, meaning "the mysterious and weird." Today these stories find expression mostly in movies and manga, but they remain rooted in the traditional ghost stories of the Edo-era known as kaidan, which means "recited narrative of strange, mysterious, rare, or bewitching apparitions."

This looks absolutely fascinating! Not just spooky stuff, but a voyage of discovery into mythology I know little about. If the art is as good as the concept, I'll be getting it.

FORTY COFFINS (ONE-SHOT)

STK684210.jpg?width=150Publisher: SPACE GOAT PRODUCTIONS

Writer: RODOLFO SANTULLO

Art/Cover: JOK

$6.99

One by one, they disappear. The ship Demeter is traveling from Romania to Whitby, England with a mysterious cargo of coffins. As the crew is beset by an horrific killer, the remaining sailors turn on each other in fear and paranoia. Only when it's too late do they realize their cargo carries the vampire Dracula. An original full-color horror story based on Bram Stoker's classic novel, Forty Coffins is the story of Dracula's journey to England told from the point-of-view of the ship's crew.

As a lad I wanted to know more about the sea voyage in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Stoker told us enough to know  how horrific it was, but not as much as the Li'l Capn wanted to know. And the movie gave us none of it! As with so much of my life, what I wished for as a boy comes to fruition in my dotage. (Well, except for the hoverboards. Where's my hoverboard, dammit!)

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

GHETTO KLOWN (GN)

STK683747.jpg?width=250Publisher: ABRAMS COMICARTS

Writer: JOHN LEGUIZAMO

Art: CHRISTA CASSANO, SHAMUS BEYALE

Cover: CHRISTA CASSANO

$24.95

In Ghetto Klown, John Leguizamo lays bare his early years, discovering acting, and his career trajectory. He shares his childhood memories and the tribulations of balancing life with old friends from his lower-income neighborhood in Queens while trying to maintain a professional persona. He brings us onto the sets of TV series and major motion pictures opposite some of Hollywood's biggest stars, such as Al Pacino, Patrick Swayze, and Steven Seagal and with directors like Baz Lurhrman and Brian DePalma.  And Leguizamo opens up about his loves and marriages, while addressing his recurring feelings of self-doubt and melancholy in a way that enlightens and still entertains.

Did you know comedian John Leguizamo has an autobiographical graphic novel? Well, now you do.

GOLDEN AGE GREATS SPOTLIGHT VOL 17

STK684667.jpg?width=250Publisher: AC COMICS

Writer: GARDNER FOX & VARIOUS

Art: DICK AYERS, ERNIE BACHE

Cover: DICK AYERS

$29.95

Dedicated tribute to Dick Ayers and Gardner Fox's hybrid of the costumed hero, horror and Western genres, Magazine Enterprise's original Ghost Rider! Reprints two dozen of the best Pre-Code Ghost Rider stories, text on the features' history and AC Comics' long association with co-creator Ayers, plus a "new" 1990s GR story by Ayers!

I gather from this that the original Ghost Rider is in public domain.

THE HANGMAN #1

1801499324?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801502057?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801502212?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936754599?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801505036?profile=RESIZE_180x180Script: FRANK TIERI

Art: FELIX RUIZ

Cover A Reg: FELIX RUIZ

Cover B Variant: TIMOTHY BRADSTREET

Cover C Variant: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Cover D Variant: ROBERT HACK

32-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

NEW ONGOING SERIES FROM DARK CIRCLE!

They say the Hangman is nothing more than an urban legend. A spook story told to scare criminals straight. But those who encounter him -- like hitman "Mad Dog" Mike Minetta -- know different. They know that when he comes for you … you're dead already. Join fan-favorite writer Frank Tieri (WOLVERINE, BATMAN) and artist extraordinaire Felix Ruiz (WOLVERINE MAX, HALO) for an ongoing tale of horror, the supernatural and violence ...  and learn why some men may never be redeemed.

“THE HANGMAN isn’t a book for the squeamish,” explained Dark Circle Comics Editor Alex Segura to Comic Book Resources. “We want to explore different genres and push the envelope with some of the best talents in comics and beyond. This book will surprise people. It's not what you expect -- which is exactly what Dark Circle is about.”

The launch of THE BLACK HOOD #1 in February set the tone for the Dark Circle Comics imprint as a no-holds-barred, anything goes line of superhero comics. THE HANGMAN “isn’t a book for the squeamish,” said Segura, comparing it to “Quentin Tarantino adapting a Stephen King novel.”

Frank Tieri, having written stories featuring popular comic book characters such as Deadpool and Wolverine, is no stranger to the darker side of superheroes. Tieri will team with Felix Ruiz, known for his frenetic and gritty art on titles including Wolverine: MAX, to tell stories about "the vile disgusting parts of ourselves we don't like to talk about." Tieri promises the book will be dark and gritty yet will also about seeking redemption.

Sounds like Hangman will be a horror story of sorts, with a bloodthirsty supernatural protagonist who is either immortal or possesses someone in each generation. That's all guesswork, of course, and I'm hoping it's even weirder than that. Either way, Archie is 3 for 3 in their revived MLJ heroes so far (The Fox, Black Hood, The Shield) and I'm looking forward to this one, too!

IRREDEEMABLE PREMIER EDITION VOL 1 (HC)

STK681926.jpg?width=250Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: MARK WAID

Art: PETER KRAUSE

Cover:  JOHN CASSADAY

$29.99

What's to Love: Mark Waid is not only our former editor-in-chief, but is also one of our favorite storytellers in comics, having amassed a long list of critically acclaimed hits in his 20-year career and writing such iconic characters as Superman, Captain America, Batman, The Flash and Wonder Woman. Waid earned a legion of fans because his stories tended to ground seemingly infallible heroes, and in titles like DC's Kingdom Come, Gorilla Comics' Empire, and our own Irredeemable, he showed the other side of what it's like to wear the capes and tights. We are proud to present Waid's award-nominated Irredeemable in a new collection of oversized, deluxe hardcovers for existing and new fans to enjoy!

What It Is: When the Plutonian, the world's greatest superhero, snaps and turns into the world's greatest villain, only his former teammates have a chance at stopping his rampage. But while on the run from the world's most powerful and angry being, will these former teammates discover his secrets in time? How did he come to this? What became of the hope and promise once inside him? What happens to the world when its savior betrays it? What makes a hero irredeemable? An apocalyptic superhero tale by the author of Empire and multiple Eisner Award winner Kingdom Come! Collects issues #1-8 of Irredeemable.

I've read enough of this as it's been re-released, that I'm ready to read the whole thing, even though this idea has been written to death in the years since.

JAMES BOND #1

TNJamesBond01CovAReardon.jpg?width=150TNJamesBond01CovRetailerExclu.jpg?width=150JamesBond01CovIRareFabryVirg.jpg?width=1501936744355?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: WARREN ELLIS

Art: JASON MASTERS

Cover A: DOM REARDON

Cover B Blank Authentix: N/A

Retailer Shared Exclusive Variant: JASON MASTERS

$3.99 / Teen+ / 32 pages

Dynamite proudly announces that fan-favorite author Warren Ellis will be writing the James Bond 007 ongoing comic book series, the first to appear in over two decades. James Bond 007 is scheduled for release in November 2015, featuring interior artwork by Jason Masters (Batman Incorporated, Guardians of the Galaxy).

1936759678?profile=RESIZE_320x320The news of the high-profile author's involvement with the James Bond 007 series follows Dynamite's announcement of their partnership with Ian Fleming Publications Ltd. (IFPL), the Fleming family company that owns and administers the literary copyright of Ian Fleming's published works, including his 14 James Bond books. Under their agreement, Dynamite has been granted worldwide rights to publish comic books, digital comics and graphic novels starring 007. Launching their James Bond 007 line with a writer of exemplary skill and reputation has been a priority for Dynamite, and Warren Ellis' stewardship will guarantee a debut story with all the hallmarks of high-octane action and international intrigue that exemplify the franchise.

"Ian Fleming's James Bond is an icon, and it's a delight to tell visual narratives with the original, brutal, damaged Bond of the books," says Warren Ellis.

1936760789?profile=RESIZE_180x180The first six-issue story arc in the James Bond 007 comic book series will be entitled "VARGR." James Bond returns to London after a mission of vengeance in Helsinki, to take up the workload of a fallen 00 Section agent ... but something evil is moving through the back streets of the city, and sinister plans are being laid for Bond in Berlin.

Great-nephew of Ian Fleming, Diggory Laycock says, "We were thrilled when Warren agreed to write the first story in this exciting new chapter of literary James Bond. Warren's style is gritty, dark and unique, and we can't wait to see James Bond embroiled in an adventure of his creation."

"Warren Ellis is one of the most brilliant writers of the 21st century, not just in comics but across all media," says Nick Barrucci, CEO and Publisher of Dynamite Entertainment. "When we approached him for the launch, we hoped he could make time in his very busy schedule, and we are fortunate and thankful that he was able to. We met with Warren and everyone at IFPL, and Warren's passion for the novels showed. He really is the perfect writer for Bond, and I can't express how excited we are that he is tackling the ongoing series. This will be James Bond unlike anything you've ever seen before, true to Ian Fleming's source material yet bursting all preconceptions of what a Bond story should be."

1936762644?profile=RESIZE_180x180Senior Editor Joseph Rybandt says, "I've long been a fan of Warren, going back to his earliest works (for instance, Lazarus Churchyard when it was first published), and pairing his creative mind with the iconic James Bond will make it the most talked about and exciting comic of 2015."

"We have the extraordinary opportunity to create the very best James Bond stories that you've never read, and we have one of the most extraordinary contemporary adventure writers in the world to launch with," says Editor Mike Lake. "After more than 40 years in the business, this is the best project I've ever had a hand in, and am very proud to have helped bring it about."

"I've wanted to draw something Warren Ellis wrote since I first read his work on The Authority," says artist Jason Masters. "Each of his carefully composed pages is filled with wonderful ideas that make you wish you were smarter. More ingenious than Warren's writing might be Dynamite's decision to have him write James Bond. James Bond by Warren Ellis! I'd buy that sight unseen if I wasn't lucky enough to be the guy drawing it."

In Stores November 4th in advance of the block buster movie on November 6th!

Sold.

• JEFFREY JONES IDYL IM AGE (GN)

STK686570.jpg?width=250Publisher: DONALD GRANT PUBLISHING

Writer/Art/Cover: JEFFREY JONES

HC $39.99/TPB $24.99

Two legendary graphic strips by the late Jeffrey Jones are collected for the first time. Idyl ran in the pages of the National Lampoon while the later I'm Age appeared in Heavy Metal Magazine. Now available is Idyl - I'm Age, a 96-page oversized 9" x 12" art book celebrating the unique vision of celebrated artist Jeffrey Jones. The book has both an Introduction and an insightful Afterword by award winning artist George Pratt. Please Note: Due to a late production error the I'm Age strip from the October 1982 edition of Heavy Metal Magazine is missing from this collection.

I never understood what Idyl was supposed to be or be about, back when it was published in bits in various magazines. I suspect that even if I read this whole book, I still wouldn't know.

JOHN CARPENTER’S TALES FOR A HALLOWEENIGHT VOL 1

1936731413?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: STORM KING PRODUCTIONS

Writers:  JOHN CARPENTER, STEVEN HOVEKE, SANDY KING, STEVE NILES, JAMES NINNESS, TRENT OLSEN, DAVID SCHOW, DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI

Art:  TIM BRADSTREET, BUZZ, FEDERICO DELUCA, LEONARDO MANCO, DARICK ROBERTSON, TONE RODRIGUEZ

Edited by SANDY KING

$14.99

From the man who brought you the movie Halloween and all the scares beyond, here comes the ultimate graphic novel anthology of tales to warm your toes by on a dark and stormy night in October.  Carpenter brings together story tellers from the world of movies, novels and comics and in these pages lie tales of graveyards, sunken ships, creepy crawlers and ghosts to haunt your dreams at night.

This anthology includes an epic line up of artists and writers including John Carpenter (Prince of Darkness, The Thing), Steven Hoveke (Thor, Steamworld Chronicles), Sandy King (John Carpenter’s Asylum, Vampires, They Live), Steve Niles (30 Days of Night, Criminal Macabre), James Ninness (Insanity, AZ, Chronicles of a Full Time Father),Trent Olsen (John Carpenter's Asylum), David Schow (The Crow, Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Tim Bradstreet (Punisher, Hellblazer), Buzz (Wolverine, Dr. Strange) Federico DeLuca (Dorian Gray. John Saul's The God Project), Leonardo Manco (John Carpenter’s Asylum, Hellblazer), Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan, The Boys), Tone Rodriguez (John Carpenter's Snake Plisken Chronicles, Uncanny Xmen 100 Project) and more. The book will be full color and 100-plus pages.

“This project kept growing and growing. The more word spread about the project through the creative community the more talent wanted to be involved. It's one of those books that you pick up because it's going to be fun and when you put it down, it's because you need to turn all the lights in the house on,” explained Storm King Comics head Sandy King.

I've been trying to download the review copy of this for weeks and failing at every turn. The download times out on my iPad, and never quite finishes on my desktop. That's 0 for 2 on Mac and PC. Upshot is that I can't tell you any more than the PR above does.

JOHNNY RED #1 (of 8)

1936731565?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936733656?profile=RESIZE_180x180STK686616.jpg?width=1501936735994?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Artist: KEITH BURNS

Covers By: KEITH BURNS, CARLOS EZQUERRA

32pp / SC / $3.99

Titan Comics ​is​ thrilled to announce a brand-new Johnny Red series written by Garth Ennis (Preacher) with art by Keith Burns!

​ Hitting stores November 4, t​he explosive new series features original adventures of the fighter ace who thrilled millions and rocketed to status as a classic British comic character in the pages of legendary combat comic Battle, bringing World War II to incendiary life in the finest air warfare stories ever told! Ennis and artist Keith Burns are diving right back into the thick of the period action to present the character to a contemporary audience!

Legendary British fighter ace, Johnny 'Red' Redburn, returns once more as the commander of the Falcons – a Russian fighter squadron battling the Nazis in the skies over Stalingrad. But dogfighting Messerschmitts is about to become the least of his troubles when the NVKD – the notorious Soviet secret police – come calling!   

"Johnny Red achieves a level of historical detail that I still find remarkable today," said Ennis. "Johnny's story is not just one of my favorites but a British comics classic!"

​ Issue #1 comes with three covers to collect: an art cover by series artist Keith Burns​, a variant art cover by Carlos Ezquerra and a blank sketch cover.

For more information ​about Titan Comics visit:​ http://titan-comics.com/

I'm always fascinated by war comics from the England, a country which had an entirely different experience in WWII than we Yanks did.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

KILL MY MOTHER (TPB)      

STK686525.jpg?width=250Publisher: LIVERIGHT

Writer/Art/Cover: JULES FEIFFER

$18.95

Jules Feiffer's Kill My Mother is a loving homage to the pulp-inspired films and comic strips of his youth. Channeling Eisner's The Spirit, along with the likes of Hammett, Chandler, Cain, John Huston, and Billy Wilder, and spiced with the deft humor for which Feiffer is renowned, Kill My Mother centers on five formidable women from two unrelated families, linked fatefully and fatally by a has-been, hard-drinking private detective.

Jules Feiffer alert!

KLAUS #1

STK687979.jpg?width=250Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: GRANT MORRISON

Art: DAN MORA

Cover: FRAZER IRVING, DAN MORA

$3.99

What's to Love: Grant Morrison is one of the most prolific and best-selling writers in comics, earning a reputation for his ability to effectively revamp superheroes like Animal Man, Batman, and the X-Men. His creator-owned titles are also highly praised, including The Invisibles, Nameless, We3, and Joe the Barbarian, because no one tells mythical stories better than him. In Klaus, Grant reimagines one of the biggest cultural myths in history, and we could not be more excited to pair him with one of our homegrown talents, Dan Mora (Hexed)!

What It Is: Set in a dark fantastic past of myth and magic, Klaus tells the story of how Santa Claus really came to be. Where did he begin? What was he like when he was young? Why does he do what he does? How does he do what he does? And what happens when he faces his greatest challenge? Drawing on Santa Claus' wilder roots in Viking lore and Siberian shamanism-taking in the creepier side of Christmas, and characters like the sinister Krampus-Klaus is a "Santa Claus: Year One."

The history of Santa Claus by Grant Morrison? You're kidding me, right? Sign me up!

MARVEL AVENGERS PAINT BY NUMBERS 5 CLASSIC SCENES

STK683840.jpg?width=250Publisher: THUNDER BAY PRESS

Writer: DANIEL WALLACE

$19.95

Captain America, the Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man help you fight the crime of empty walls! Paint-by-number is still just as much fun as when you were a kid. Follow the number guide to paint in classic detail, or go rogue and choose your own color combos. Every scene includes your favorite Marvel heroes. The 48-page book reveals secrets of the Avengers and their mansion, offers the history behind various team-ups of heroes and villains, and profiles the technological creations of scientist Hank Pym. Brush up on your hero history and re-create classic scenes from the Marvel universe!

Remember when Marvel merchandise would feature Spider-Man, Fantastic Four or the X-Men?

NINJAK #9

1936738012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936740064?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936742002?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936744355?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936744463?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936746478?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by MATT KINDT

Art by CLAY MANN and JUAN JOSÉ RYP

Cover A by MICO SUAYAN

Cover B by DAVE JOHNSON

Cover C by JELENA KEVIC-DJURDJEVIC

Character Design Variant by MATT KINDT

Variant Cover by MITCH GERADS

$3.99 | 40 pgs. | T+

A duel to the death with The Shadow Seven!

As Ninjak goes head-to-head with Fakir of the Shadow Seven, devastating secrets of his past stand revealed that will change his life forever! Plus: Roku makes her move… and an atom bomb goes missing. Yeah, that’s right, an atom bomb is MISSING. The world’s gone to hell ... and only Ninjak can save it ... that is if he lives long enough!

Pulse-pounding artist Clay Mann (X-Men) returns to join Juan José Ryp (Clone) and New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (RAI, DIVINITY) to bring “THE SHADOW WARS” to its conclusion!

Some more lovely Valiant stuff.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

PACIFIC RIM TALES FROM THE DRIFT #1

STK686584.jpg?width=250Publisher: LEGENDARY COMICS

Writer:  JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV

Art/Cover: MARCOS MARZ

$3.99

Following the graphic novel Tales From Year Zero, Legendary takes you back to the front lines with Pacific Rim: Tales From The Drift. The official new comic series presented by director Guillermo del Toro and Pacific Rim screenwriter Travis Beacham. Prepare to do battle with all-new Kaiju creatures in this thrilling continuation of the Pacific Rim universe. The series comes from writer Joshua Fialkov with artwork by Marcos Marz.

The movies have failed, but evidently the comics will continue.

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: WEB OF EVIL VOLUME TWO

6ceadb5e-1c48-45cb-9f49-fd3d460a22ef.jpg?width=525Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

Writers/Art: Various

Slipcase: Limited to 125 copies, £29.99 UK / $47.99 U.S.

HC: Limited to 1,825 copies, £39.99 UK / $64.99 U.S.

As we already mentioned elsewhere, this title has the lot ... including persuasive evidence that animated corpses (that’s zombies to you, fella) used to be gray and had see-through rib-cages. Just shows you how far medical science has come in the almost sixty intervening years. They’re all good, these books we’re bringing out (bringing out? Heck, we’re unleashing ‘em!) but this one may well be the gerkin on the burger.

Volume Two features issues #8-14 from November 1953-May 1954. Featured artists include Charles Culdera, Jack Cole, Leo Morey, Charles Nicholas, Bob McCarty and John Forte.

Limited to just 2,000 copies and split across two editions, this book is available to order through pspublishing.co.uk.

Pre-Code stuff still fascinates me, and as long as it's being reprinted, I will buy it. If nothing else, there's probably a dissertation in it somewhere.

RED ROSA GRAPHIC BIOGRAPHY OF ROSA LUXEMBURG (GN)

STK684577.jpg?width=250Publisher: VERSO

Writer/Art/Cover: KATE EVANS

$16.95

Rosa tells the life story of Rosa Luxemburg in full-color, graphic form. The story follows Rosa from her family life in Jewish Poland -- where she became the leader of a general strike at age fifteen and was exiled from her homeland at eighteen -- to her immersion into the then largest radical party in the world, the German Social Democratic Party, to her founding of the German Communist Party and leadership of the German revolution of 1919.

As regular readers know, I love historical GNs. (I love history, I love comics -- it's two great tastes in one!)

This doesn't sound like politics I'll enjoy reading about, but it is a corner of history I know absolutely nothing about. I am weighing my disinterest in the specific topic against my great interest in learning everything I can about history. Ooh, decisions, decisions.

PLANET COMICS VOLUME TEN

65e871a8-828a-42de-8f27-4320fc1451df.jpg?width=525Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

Writers/Art: Various

SLIPCASE EDITION: 125 copies in full colour slipcase, £44.99 UK / $69.99 U.S.

BOOKSHOP EDITION: 1,875 bookshop copies available, £36.99 UK / $59.99 U.S.

Long before Star Wars, there was Planet Comics, home to a veritable parade of steely-jawed interstellar adventures and some of the most gorgeous damsels in distress you could ever with to find. More than 50 years since Planet closed up shop. We are making the whole run available again from the original groundbreaking awe-filled Planet Comics that appeared from Fiction House over a thirteen-year period ending in 1953. They’re all here ... Flint Baker, Reef Ryan, The Space Rangers, Gale Allen, Star Pirate, Mysta of the Moon, Norge Benson plus many more AND a bevy of the most scantily-clad females you’re likely to see outside of Silvio Dante’s Bada Bing strip joint in The Sopranos.

Due to be published for September 2015, this tenth volume brings together May 1946 to May 1947 issues 42-47. Presented by our very own Roy Thomas this title features a brand new introduction by Mike Benton, specially written for this publication.

Limited to just 2,000 copies and split across two editions, this book is available to order through pspublishing.co.uk.

More pre-Code comics. I'm not stopping now!

ONE DOLLAR DEBUTS

48aac9fb-ad4c-49c5-9dbd-c533f61ff1d9.jpg?width=500ONE DOLLAR DEBUT: THE VALIANT #1

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by JEFF LEMIRE & MATT KINDT

Art & Cover by PAOLO RIVERA

$1.00 | 32 pgs.

"A near-perfect introduction to an ascending cosmos, and more importantly, a damn fine comic." – Paste Magazine

Catch up with greatest and latest that the Valiant Universe has to offer with an all-new wave of one-dollar introductions for Valiant's most acclaimed series!

Valiant is proud to announce an all-new wave of ONE DOLLAR DEBUTS, beginning this November in comic shops everywhere! You’ve seen the reviews… You’ve heard the buzz… Now discover the leading heroes of the largest independent superhero universe in comics with a brand new selection of 8 one-dollar introductions from some of the greatest creative talents in comics today, including Joshua Dysart, Matt Kindt, Jeff Lemire, Clay Mann, Cary Nord, Paolo Rivera, Jen Van Meter, Robert Venditti, and many more!

"Valiant's number one priority is finding new readers and introducing them to the most acclaimed line-up of superhero titles on the stands today," said Hunter Gorinson, Director of Marketing, Communications & Digital Media for Valiant Entertainment. "With initiatives including one dollar reprints of our best jumping-on points, line-wide $9.99 volume one trade paperbacks, and generous incentives for retailers on all of Valiant's new series, we're creating a new legion of fans one reader a time. Join us now and find out for yourself why Valiant is, pound for pound, putting out the best comic books anywhere in the industry today."

From BLOODSHOT REBORN #1 to DIVINITY #1 to X-O MANOWAR #1, jump on board here this November and discover why Buzzfeed calls Valiant "a universe full of your new favorite superheroes" with an inspiring line-up of all-new ONE DOLLAR DEBUTS.

Thought this might be of interest.

WONDER WOMAN WAR YEARS (HC)

STK681210.jpg?width=250Publisher: CHARTWELL BOOKS

Writer: WILLIAM MOULTON MARSTON

Art: HARRY G. PETER

$24.99

This new compilation of comic books from the early years of Wonder Woman shows her involvement in World War II. Wonder Woman, created in 1941, is the most popular female superhero of all time. Aside from Superman and Batman, no superhero has lasted as long or commanded such a passionate following.

Superman and Batman are already out, and this completes the Trinity. I don't know of any more coming.

• Man, the Japanese can make a comic book about anything, with full confidence it will sell. I am so impressed, and so envious. Maybe someday the U.S. market will reach this level of sophistication and widespread support.

Are comics in Japan (and elsewhere) returnable like ours used to be? IMO, the non-returnable comics that once helped save the industry and are now killing it.

• "Thanks to the nagging of Jeff of Earth-J..."

I nag because I care.

• KLAUS #1: Sorry, Santa Claus Is Coming to Town is Santa's true origin!

• Any Santa origin without Krampus is typical pro-homo sapiens propaganda.

• Well, there was a penguin involved in Town!

Captain Comics said:

Any Santa origin without Krampus is typical pro-homo sapiens propaganda.

• Cap said:

I think I'm the only comics fan in the world who thought this memoir was silly and boring. I don't know about you, but when I lost my virginity, it was a lot more difficult than this, and nobody's parents approved of it, much less facilitated it. That makes my own story more dramatic than this one, to my mind. And yours, too, which I don't even know. In fact, I suspect everybody's first time was probably a better story than this. And the lead character, who had all this handed to him on a plate, and thought he was in love -- as everyone does at that age -- indulges in endless adolescent whining that I find tedious.

But I appear to be alone in this opinion. So go ahead and buy it again, everyone!

You are not alone, Cap! I more or less felt the same way when I read Blankets 10 years or so ago. I know Bill Beechler loved it, and me and him discussed it a little bit. I just never got what the big deal was.

• Cap said:

This is worth getting just to see once again the pre-Flashpoint versions of Phantom Stranger, Spectre and Deadman, who are infinitely superior to the current versions. Well, at least in the case of Phantom Stranger. That character is just unreadable now.

Have you read All-Star Section Eight #5? Phantom Stranger appears in that, in a way you've never ever seen him before. And it *killed* me. I've been reading this series and chuckling along (and sometimes wincing) with the humor, but this issue worked for me much better than the rest. And the Phantom Stranger is a BIG part of it.

• Oh, thank God!

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Cap said:

You are not alone, Cap! I more or less felt the same way when I read Blankets 10 years or so ago. I know Bill Beechler loved it, and me and him discussed it a little bit. I just never got what the big deal was.

This reply was deleted.