Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE

Cover A by KANO

Cover B by DOUG BRAITHWAITE

Cover C by DAVE JOHNSON

Cover D by RYAN STEGMAN

Cover E by CULLY HAMNER

Variant Cover by BUTCH GUICE

B&W Sketch Variant by RYAN STEGMAN

Alamo City Comic Con Variant: Photo of actor Jason David Frank (Power Rangers) as Bloodshot

NYCC Variant: ART BALTAZAR

Blank Cover Also Available

$3.99 • 32 pgs. • T+

“THE FUTURE OF VALIANT”

In Bloodshot we trust!

Valiant is proud to present BLOODSHOT U.S.A. #1 (of 4) – the FIRST ISSUE of the explosive standalone event roaring out of "THE FUTURE OF VALIANT"! As an unstoppable virus transforms all of New York City into a legion of horrific killing machines, join New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire (Moon Knight, Old Man Logan) and superstar artist Doug Braithwaite (ARMOR HUNTERS, Justice) for a one-man invasion unlike anything ever witnessed! From the Bronx to Broadway, an unstoppable, nanite-enhanced pathogen is about to turn New York City’s populace against itself … and Bloodshot is the only soldier tough enough to lead a one-man invasion of the city that never sleeps! And if he falls, the nation won’t stand a chance against the most dangerous outbreak in American history.

“I tried to have every arc be a totally new genre featuring Bloodshot, but also all build up to a larger story. “BLOODSHOT U.S.A." is the culmination of all of that,” writer Jeff Lemire told Comic Book Resources. “This is really everything coming full circle into a perfect storm.”

Project Rising Spirit – America’s greatest exporter of classified weapons technology – has achieved a breakthrough: a contagious, airborne nanite dispersion prototype that can turn the population of any city into an army of indestructible soldiers. A doomsday virus capable of destroying an enemy nation from the inside out. A machine-made pathogen that can completely rewrite human physiology…and hardcode every man, woman, and child with the same cutting-edge technology that created their greatest weapon: Bloodshot.

But now … Project Rising Spirit’s top-secret contagion has been released onto the streets of America’s greatest metropolis: New York City. As mayhem engulfs Manhattan, Bloodshot must lead the most dangerous invasion ever waged on American soil and keep a runaway pandemic from toppling armies and governments … and threatening to destroy humanity itself.

Be there as Jeff Lemire and Doug Braithwaite turn the Big Apple blood red and unite one nation under Bloodshot! From sea to shining sea, America's greatest metropolis faces its darkest hour yet in BLOODSHOT U.S.A. #1 (of 4) – featuring a commanding line of covers from Kano (Gotham Central), Doug Braithwaite (NINJAK), Dave Johnson (Superman: Red Son), Ryan Stegman (Uncanny Avengers), Cully Hamner (Detective Comics), and Butch Guice (Captain America)!

Boy, that's a lot of words! Since you're not going to read them all, I'll summarize:

The people who trapped Bloodshot on an island with a bunch of other Bloodshots from history (which shouldn't exist) in the last series have, in this series, infected Manhattan with the nanites that make Bloodshot Bloodshot. Evidently, he's going to have to fight his way through them for some purpose. (My guess: A cure for the infection.)

It's in my top five because I have never been disappointed in a Bloodshot series yet. As Lemire says above, he tries to make each Bloodshot series/arc a different genre, which has the danger of one of them being done badly or just not being interesting -- plus, it makes it difficult to maintain characterization and supporting characters. And yet, see "never been disappointed" above.

At a guess, I'll say this one falls into the "zombie apocalypse" category, in that everyone is turned into something that wants to kill our hero. Or maybe it's the "hero runs a gauntlet" genre. Hard to tell until I read it.

DOCTOR STRANGE & THE SORCERERS SUPREME #1

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: ROBBIE THOMPSON

Art: JAVIER RODRIGUEZ

Cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

Variant by JAVIER RODRIGUEZ

Design Variant by JAVIER RODRIGUEZ

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

Teaser Variant by MIKE DEODATO

Champions Variant by JAMAL CAMPBELL

Hip-Hop Variant by JUAN DOE

Blank Variant available

32 PGS. • Rated T+ • $3.99

Because sometimes, just one Sorcerer Supreme won’t do! This October, Stephen Strange multiplies his mystic might by teaming with magicians from across time in DOCTOR STRANGE AND THE SORCERERS SUPREME #1 – the new ongoing series launching as part of Marvel NOW!. Fan-favorite creators Robbie Thompson (Silk, Venom: Space Knight) and Javier Rodriguez (Spider-Woman, Daredevil) team together to make Marvel magic across the past, present and future! When an ancient evil threatens to unravel the fabric of reality, Doctor Strange must unite Sorcerers Supreme from across time to stem the coming darkness. Merlin, the Ancient One, Wiccan and more must unite to stand against The Forgotten. But even a team of the greatest sorcerers history has ever known may not be enough! Not to mention Strange should watch his back, not all these Sorcerers have his best interests in mind. Be there as the magical adventure across space and time begins in DOCTOR STRANGE AND THE SORCERERS SUPREME #1!

This could suffer from Green Lantern Corps Syndrome (everybody has exactly the same powers), but I tend to think it could be fun if all the other sorcerers have distinct personalities. If nothing else, they're probably all used to being the big dog wherever they're from, and "teamwork" is probably not in the cards.

MOEBIUS LIBRARY: THE WORLD OF EDENA (HC)

Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer/Art/Cover: MOEBIUS

FC • 344 pages • $49.99 • HC • 8” x 10”

Dark Horse Comics in partnership with Moebius Production in France is proud to reveal the first several volumes in the forthcoming Moebius Library, beginning with The World of Edena.

2016 represents not only Dark Horse Comics’ 30th anniversary, but also Moebius’s 60th anniversary of his very first published comic.  Collecting all the Edena short stories in a deluxe, hardcover edition, The World of Edena includes “Upon a Star,” “Gardens of Edena,” “The Goddess,” “Stel,” and “Sra.” Although several had been translated into English in the 1980s, this will be the first time “Sra” has been available to English-language audiences.

Stel and Atan are interstellar repairmen trying to find a lost space station and its crew. What they discover about the universe and themselves on the mythical paradise planet Edena, though, changes their lives forever.

Following the debut of The World of Edena this fall, Dark Horse and Moebius Production are also announcing the next installments in the Moebius Library over the next few years, including The Art of Edena, Inside Moebius Part 1, Inside Moebius Part 2, Inside Moebius Part 3, and The Art of Moebius.  Both The Art of Edena and Art of Moebius will include never-before-seen pieces from the artist’s private collection, most of which have not appeared in English-language publications.  Additionally, these will be the first English-language editions of Moebius’s renowned, six-chapter autobiographical series Inside Moebius.

The World of Edena, a deluxe, 344 page hardcover premiers Oct. 26 and retails for $49.99.

“Moebius’s Arzach had a great impact on me.  But it’s definitely true that I created Nausicaä with Moebius’s influence.” -- Hayao Miyazaki

“Moebius excelled as much in the fluidity of his storytelling as he did in the brilliance of his linework. There’s real beauty in his work. It’s quite a rare thing for an artist to be able to translate so much of the scale and grandeur and detail of their own imaginings into simple, elegant lines that can be so easily shared with others.” -- Frank Quitely

“He is a master draftsman, a superb artist, and more: his vision is original and strong.” -- George Lucas

“I read [Métal Hurlant] over and over and envied the French because they had everything I dreamed of in comics – beautifully drawn, visionary and literate comics, for adults. I wanted to make comics like that when I grew up." -- Neil Gaiman

Wow, another bunch of words! I didn't read them either, but I don't need the hard sell. I love Moebius' artwork, even if many of his stories seem to be random elements jumbled together. (Maybe they make sense to Europeans, who have a higher tolerance than Americans for non-linear stories.) Anyway, I'm looking forward to finally having a lot of Moebius in one place to linger over.

PRINCE OF CATS

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: RONALD WIMBERLY

Letters: JARRED FISHER

152 PAGES • FC • T+ • $24.99

PRINCE OF CATS written and drawn by Ron Wimberly, lettered by Jarred Fisher and featuring design by Jorden Haley returns to print from Image Comics.

PRINCE OF CATS was first released from Vertigo to critical acclaim in the summer 2012. It was out of print before the following summer. After three years, it will be returning to print through Image Comics.

PRINCE OF CATS is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead meets The Warriors meets Sword of Doom. PRINCE OF CATS sets Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet in an alt-universe, mid-'eighties New York where dueling with live blades evolved as a cultural phenomenon alongside New York's other street cultures; it eschews the story of the titular star-crossed lovers to follow the tragic story of Tybalt, the Prince of Cats.

PRINCE OF CATS is the B side to Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, played at an 'eighties block party in a New York where underground sword dueling blossomed alongside hip-hop, punk, disco and no wave. It’s the story of the minor players with Tybalt at the center. The definitive printing of RONALD WIMBERLY’s critically-acclaimed first work, presented as intended for the first time.

Another first issue from Image. Doesn't seem like my cup of hemlock -- I lost interest in pop music when disco took over, and never recovered -- but it's weird enough to maybe be interesting.

SERENITY: NO POWER IN THE 'VERSE #1

Writer: CHRIS ROBERSON

Penciller: GEORGES JEANTY

Inker: KARL STORY

Colorist: WES DZIOBA

Cover: DAN DOS SANTOS

Variant: GEORGES JEANTY

FC • 32 pages • Miniseries • $3.99

Dark Horse is excited to announce the newest Serenity series, Serenity: No Power in the ’Verse. Originally created by the legendary Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel), Serenity begins its next chapter with a story written by Chris Roberson (iZombie, Witchfinder: City of the Dead) and illustrated by Georges Jeanty (Buffy Seasons 8 and 9, Serenity: Leaves on the Wind).

Roberson described his excitement for the new series: “I’ve been a devoted fan of Captain Reynolds and company since the first episode of Firefly aired, and have followed the exploits of the Serenity crew through TV, film and comics ever since. It’s an unbelievable thrill (and an enormous responsibility!) to help chart the course for their further adventures.”

Serenity: No Power in the ’Verse finds Malcolm Reynolds and his crew struggling through some difficult times. Tensions are at an all-time high when the crew receives a call to help find a missing friend. The crew must come together to discover the answers to her mysterious disappearance. Will they find her in time?

No Power in the ’Verse is preceded by the Serenity comics Those Left Behind, Better Days, The Shepherd’s Tale and Leaves on the Wind.

I never watched Serenity. I know, I know, greatest show ever, blah, blah, blah. I didn't watch Buffy either, so I might have to forfeit my O.G. (Original Geek) card. But I know a bunch of you Legionnaires watched and loved the show, so here's a heads up about the latest continuation.

CIVIL WAR II

Diamond doesn't list any Civil War II tie-ins for Nov. 2, so this week might be the last hurrah. Or is that just wishful thinking? There are still two more issues of the main book to go, so I guess a couple of tie-ins could still be lurking out there. But I'm so ready for this to be over I'm thinking positive.

AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #10

Writer: MARC GUGGENHEIM

Art: ARIO ANINDITO

Cover by MIKE NORTON

THE S.H.I.E.L.D. CIVIL WAR CONCLUDES!

Will COULSON return to his team?

Will JEMMA SIMMONS live?

Who is the new DEATHLOK???

Get your answers here!!

Yep, it's an homage to Strange Tales #167.

ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT AVENGERS #15

Writer: MARK WAID

Art: ADAM KUBERT

Cover by ALEX ROSS

In her short time wielding the hammer Mjolnir, Thor has witnessed cosmic chaos — but how does her human half process the consequences of the Iron Man/Captain Marvel struggle and what it does to the Avengers?

I haven't been following Marvel lately. Is Jane Foster still dying of cancer?

CAPTAIN AMERICA: STEVE ROGERS #6

Writer: NICK SPENCER

Art: JAVIER PIñA

Cover by PAUL RENAUD

Defenders Variant by GERALD PAREL

Prostate Awareness Variant by GREG HILDEBRANDT

With the Marvel Universe at war, Steve fights for peace.

Guest-starring Captain Marvel!

Captains courageous!

CIVIL WAR II #6 (OF 7)

Writer: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art: DAVID MARQUEZ (A)

Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC

Variant by MICHAEL CHO

Old Man Variant by PHIL NOTO

B&W Virgin Connecting Variant G Cover by KIM JONG GI

40 PGS. • Rated T+ • $4.99

This week, friendships will be pushed to the limit, alliances will be broken – and the Marvel Universe will be shaken. Today, Marvel is pleased to present CIVIL WAR II #6 – the next blistering chapter from creators Brian Michael Bendis and artist David Marquez! They were prepared to stop catastrophes before they happened. But what about a vision so preposterous it couldn’t possibly come true? Or could it? As the next glimpse of the future reveals Miles Morales standing over what remains of the original Captain America, Steve Rogers – true convictions will be tested. How far would you go to protect the future? Would you turn on one of your own? The answers may surprise you! Be there as the battle rages on this October in CIVIL WAR II #6!

What's the problem with killing Steve Rogers? He's a no-good Hydra agent!

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #13

Writer: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art: VALERIO SCHITI

Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS

32 PGS. • Rated T • $3.99

As the Guardians’ internal conflicts reach a boiling point, some outsiders throw more fuel to the fire!

One teammate with deep roots on Earth will struggle to hold onto their galactic connections!

The Guardians may survive Civil War II, but the team will NEVER be the same!

NEW AVENGERS #17

Writer: AL EWING

Art: PACO MEDINA

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Once everything was new ... but now — EVERYTHING IS DOOMED!

Roberto Da Costa — SHOT THROUGH THE HEAD! A.I.M. — UNDER SIEGE FROM S.H.I.E.L.D.!

Air Force One — TUMBLING FROM THE SKY LIKE A DYING SWAN!

THIS IS THE SLAM-BANG FINISH TO END THEM ALL, TRUE BELIEVER!

Anybody know how evil Reed Richards managed to survive Secret Wars -- and with his goofy hat intact?

TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #11

Writer: GREG PAK

Art: MIKE DEL MUNDO

Cover by TERRY DODSON

Defenders Variant by STEPHANIE HANS

32 PGS. • Rated T • $3.99

With the BLACK PANTHER watching his every step, the HULK takes on a mysterious new arch-enemy. But who is AMADEUS really after?

ULTIMATES #12

Writer: AL EWING

Art: CHRISTIAN WARD

Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

As the heroes meet in final battle — is there any saving the Ultimates? Or have they found the one problem they can’t solve?

Meanwhile, in the depths of space, the Lifebringer comes to a decision that will change the team forever — if they survive!

Are you ready ... for ULTIMATES 2?

REVOLUTION

ACTION MAN: REVOLUTION #1

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer: JOHN BARBER

Art: PAOLO VILLANELLI

Cover: DREW JOHNSON

Subscription Variant: PAOLO VILLANELLI

Blank Sketch Variant available

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

REVOLUTION WORLDWIDE! While the battle between TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE, M.A.S.K., and ROM rages across the Earth, the U.K.’s top field agent, ACTION MAN, tracks down the mystery of ORE-13 -- and finds an unusual metal ally!

Variant cover by KEN CHRISTIANSEN, part of a 13-part connected cover!

TRANSFORMERS: REVOLUTION #1

Writer: JOHN BARBER

Art: ANDREW GRIFFITH

Cover: MARCELO MATERE

Subscription Variant: ANDREW GRIFFITH

Blank sketch available

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

THUNDERCRACKER AND BUSTER SAVE THE WORLD! A DECEPTICON who wants to be a screenwriter. A dog who wants to, I don’t know, eat stuff and chase squirrels or whatever dogs want to do. A White House under siege by DIRE WRAITHS. And the phone call that brings them all together.

• Just because OPTIMUS PRIME and SOUNDWAVE are leading the REVOLUTION doesn’t mean the rest of the TRANSFORMERS aren’t keeping busy!

•  Variant cover by Ken Christiansen, part of a 13-part connected cover!

MORE PRESS RELEASES

THE ART OF BATTLEFIELD 1 (HC)

FC • 184 pages • $39.99 • HC • 9” x 12”

YOU’VE NEVER SEEN A BATTLEFILED LIKE THIS.

Dark Horse proudly announces the newest video game art book in its long line of best-selling, award-winning titles: The Art of Battlefield 1!

The Art of Battlefield 1 collects hundreds of pieces of art chronicling the production of EA DICE’s latest entry in the iconic first-person action series. Visit the scenes of the history-shaping conflicts of World War I and examine the gear of some of the 20th century’s most intimidating soldiers. This is a volume that will thrill gamers in a stylish package that collectors will adore.

As the Great War rages, heretofore-inconceivable engines of destruction shake the ground and pierce the sky. Cavalries charge across the smoky landscape, legions of riders and beasts locked in a fierce new form of combat. This is the war to end wars. This is Battlefield.

“Battlefield 1 feels like the most advanced, innovative FPS in years.” — GamesRadar+

BAIT: OFF-COLOR STORIES FOR YOU TO COLOR (HC)

Writer: CHUCK PALAHNIUK

Art/Cover: DUNCAN FEGREDO

Art: LEE BERMEJO, ALISE GLUŜKOVA, KIRBI FAGAN, MARC SCHEFF, STEVE MORRIS, JOËLLE JONES, TONY PURYEAR

B&W • 128 pages • $19.99 • HC • 8 1/2" x 11”

New York Times bestselling novelist Chuck Palahniuk presents Bait: Off-Color Stories for You to Color, his first ever coloring book for adults. Bait is both the coloring book debut and the second short story collection for Palahniuk, author of Lullaby and Fight Club.

Contains eight bizarre tales, illustrated in detailed black and white by Joëlle Jones (Lady Killer), Lee Bermejo (The Suiciders), Duncan Fegredo (Hellboy), and more. Each story is paired with pieces of colorable original art, nearly 50 in all. Dark Horse Books will publish Bait: Off-Color Stories for You to Color as a 8.5 x 11 inch hardcover album, with uncoated and white interior paper stock, accompanied by a cover illustrated and colored by Duncan Fegredo and designed by Nate Piekos.

Palahniuk’s short stories are provocative and not for the faint of heart. (His public readings are notorious for making audience members pass out.) Bait continues in that vein with stories about:

• A passenger on the Titanic who finds a surgical solution to the obstacle of "women and children first”

• A Hollywood star, whose fading brand faces a viral (and scatological) internet campaign

• An animal psychic who coaxes a statement from a fish that witnessed a political assassination

• Increasingly terrible birthday gifts that place a girl at the center of an extinction-level event

The stories will be illustrated by Lee Bermejo, Kirbi Fagan, Duncan Fegredo, Alise Gluskova, Joelle Jones, Steve Morris, Tony Puryear and Marc Scheff. Palahniuk invites readers to collaborate on this unprecedented and unique hardcover edition: "Maybe between your colors, the artists’ designs, and my stories we can create something that endures. Something worth keeping. Let’s create a well-bound book that can sit on any shelf and be available for a new generation to discover and enjoy.”

CALL OF DUTY: ZOMBIES #1 (of 6)

Writer: JUSTIN JORDAN

Art: JONATHAN WAYSHAK

Cover: SIMON BISLEY

FC • 32 pages • $3.99 • Miniseries

Dark Horse Comics, Activision Publishing Inc., and award-winning game development studio Treyarch have teamed up to deliver Call of Duty: Zombies, a comic book series of undead proportions, written by comics superstar Justin Jordan (Green Lantern: New Guardians), and illustrated by Jonathan Wayshak (Devolution), with story by Zombies Director, Jason Blundell and the studio’s Lead Writer, Craig Houston. With incredible covers by superstar artist Simon Bisley, the waves of undead come straight out of Call of Duty: Black  Ops III Zombies experience and onto the pages of Dark Horse Comics!

Since Treyarch first introduced Zombies to the Call of Duty franchise as an Easter Egg in Call of Duty: World at War, it has grown into its own pop-culture phenomenon, becoming an indispensable part of what game fans expect from a Call of Duty game. Now, Treyarch’s Blundell and Houston help take fans even deeper down the rabbit hole …

On his quest to secure an ancient artifact known as The Kronorium, Doctor Edward Richtofen enlists the help of The Tranzit Crew, a ragtag group of survivors last seen in the Black Ops II Zombies installment "Buried." On a deeply unstable and fractured future Earth, Stuhlinger, Misty, Russman and Marlton battle for survival against the undead horde, as they slowly uncover the truth behind Richtofen’s mysterious reappearance. The Call of Duty: Zombies miniseries follows these characters’ perilous journey of discovery, filling in crucial pieces of the larger Zombies story.

Fans of the franchise can also read the Call of Duty®: Black Ops III comic book series by Larry Hama (G.I. Joe) and Marcelo Ferreira (Transformers, TMNT) which follows an elite group of cybernetically enhanced soldiers as they wage a secret war across a futuristic, war-torn world transformed by technology.  Available now at your local comic store. (Warning: This comic contains violence and may not be suitable for those under 18 years of age.)

Zombies are in Call of Duty now! It really IS an apocalypse!

DEADPOOL #21

Written by GERRY DUGGAN & IAN DOESCHER

Art by MATEO LOLLI & BRUNO OLIVEIRA

Cover by MIKE HAWTHORNE

Variant Covers by MIKE MAYHEW

and JANET LEE

Secret Comic Variant by SCOTT KOBLISH

Champions Variant by PHIL NOTO

80 pages • FC • $9.99

This October, the Merc With a Mouth is crashing headlong into Marvel NOW! and he’s bringing William Shakespeare with him! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look inside DEADPOOL #21 – the colossal 80-page issue coming to comic shops and digital devices on October 26th! First up, witness the the return of one of Deadpool’s greatest adversaries as Madcap returns to the fold in a brand-new full length adventure from Gerry Duggan and Mateo Lolli! No one has pushed Deadpool to the limit quite like Madcap. Is Wade ready to face him again? Then, Deadpool goes Shakespeare for an all-new 60-page tale from writer Ian Doescher (William Shakespeare’s Star Wars) and artist Bruno Oliveira! Those old plays from English class just got a lot more interesting. Don’t say we never taught you anything! Be there for the tales of the bard as you’ve never seen them before when DEADPOOL #21 comes to comic shops and digital devices on Oct. 26!

GENERATION ZERO #3

Written by FRED VAN LENTE

Art by DEREK CHARM with FRANCIS PORTELLA

Cover A by STEPHEN MOONEY

Cover B by TOM MULLER

Variant Cover by DEREK CHARM

Variant Cover by DAN PARENT

$3.99 • 32 pgs. • T+

Fast times for Valiant’s volatile teenage strike squad!

Generation Zero came to Rook, Michigan to investigate a strange death…and the clues have led them into the halls of an even stranger high school! But only one person knows what really happened to Keisha Sherman’s tragically deceased boyfriend: Rook High’s reigning queen bee! Now, this reformed squad of walking warheads will have to forgo their usual military tactics … and wage a psychic infiltration into the mind of Rook’s most popular teenager! But, as they experience the truth through her eyes, what even darker revelations might spill forth about a town where murder, deception and deceit lurk behind every picket fence?

Out of the pages of HARBINGER WARS, Project Rising Spirit’s tempestuous team of super-powered radicals is about to get slayed by the bell – courtesy of New York Times best-selling writer Fred Van Lente (IVAR, TIMEWALKER) and red-hot artists Derek Charm (Jughead) and Francis Portela (FAITH)!

PROWLER #1

Written by SEAN RYAN

Art by JAMAL CAMPBELL & JAVIER SALTARES

Cover by TRAVEL FOREMAN

Variant Cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Teaser Variant by MIKE DEODATO

Champions Variant by BOBBY RUBIO

Hip-Hop Variant by RAY-ANTHONY HEIGHT

Classic Variant by BOB HALL

“CLONE CONSPIRACY” TIE-IN!

Even a superhero’s life can get boring. Double check your gear. Patrol the city. Save the innocent. Report back to your super villain boss, the Jackal. Wait, WHAT? You read that right True Believer, Hobie Brown is in the employ of one of Spider-Man’s greatest villains. And it’s all happening in the can’t-miss debut issue PROWLER #1 – launching as part of The Clone Conspiracy event! Sean Ryan and artists Jamal Campbell and Javier Saltares bring you an action packed debut chapter that will redefine the Prowler! But … why is The Prowler working for The Jackal?! And what does the recently resurrected Madame Web have to do with it all? More importantly – what will happen when Spider-Man learns one of his most trusted friends has defected to the enemy? Those answers and more in the can’t-miss debut of PROWLER #1 – coming to comic shops everywhere on Oct. 26!

THE SAVIORS VOL 1 (TPB)

Writer: JAMES ROBINSON

Art/Cover: J. BONE

136 PAGES • FC • M • $14.99

When Tomas Ramirez stumbles upon an extraterrestrial conspiracy to take over the world, his life is forever altered. Now he’s banding together with those other few souls who share the knowledge that we are under attack as they attempt to defeat a shadowy alien cabal that is both indestructible and eager to kill anyone who threatens it.

Eisner Award winner JAMES ROBINSON (AIRBOY, Starman, Earth 2) and artist J. BONE (The Rocketeer: Hollywood Horror, The Spirit) present an adventure story of monstrous proportions.

Collects THE SAVIORS #1-5.

PRAISE FOR THE SAVIORS:

“THE SAVIORS is a high-quality, slyly modern take on some sci-fi B-movie concepts. Come for the fun of the chase—stay for the superlative J. Bone cartooning, which is classically good in every way.” —Multiversity Comics

“This is a truly unique book, and an exceptionally fun read.” — TM Stash

“A little bit classic sci-fi thriller throwback and part visionary exploration of a concept nearly as old as fiction itself.” — Comic Book Resources

THE VIGILANTE: SOUTHLAND #1

Publisher DC COMICS

Written by GARY PHILLIPS

Art by ELENA CASAGRANDE

Cover by MITCH GERADS

Variant cover by TONY S. DANIEL

32 pg • 1 of 6 • FC • $2.99 U.S. • RATED T+

The spirits of Greg Saunders and Adrian Chase are alive and well at DC, but instead of the open prairie or the skyscrapers of Manhattan, the next Vigilante will be battling crime on the seedy backstreets of Los Angeles, as DC Entertainment announced today that THE VIGILANTE: SOUTHLAND, a six-issue miniseries written by Gary Phillips (Vertigo’s COWBOYS, Violent Spring, Perdition U.S.A.) with pencils and inks by Elena Casagrande, colors by Giulia Brusco and covers by Mitch Gerads (Vertigo’s SHERIFF OF BABYLON), will be hitting comic retailers.

"This take on Vigilante incorporates current social and political issues, making THE VIGILANTE: SOUTHLAND both relevant and contemporary, which sounds like an incredible direction to take new stories featuring this character,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Dan DiDio. “Gary’s experience with crime fiction will give Vigilante an edginess and grittiness that hasn’t been seen before.”

THE VIGILANTE: SOUTHLAND is the story of Donny Fairchild, a failed NBA player who’s just making ends meet as a maintenance man. When his girlfriend stumbles on a conspiracy to steal water rights through a series of shady land-development deals, she’s mysteriously murdered. Once Donny starts getting too close to the cause of her death, his house is blown up and he’s left for dead. Determined to bring the killers to justice, Donny undergoes training from an urban legend known as the Eastsider to become a masked vigilante.

“THE VIGILANTE: SOUTHLAND is incredibly relevant to our times,” said writer Gary Phillips. “It’s a politically tinged story that touches on a myriad of contemporary issues, such as gun violence, class struggle and Black Lives Matter. The book also provides me an opportunity to contemporize classic issues/tropes, like the fight over water rights in Southern California. I’m very excited to show readers this character, reimagined for the 21st century.”

ANOTHER Vigilante? At least this one looks interesting. Never cared much for Adrian Chase.

MORE FIRST ISSUES

AOHARU X MACHINEGUN VOL 1 (GN)

Publisher: YEN PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: NAOE

$13.00

Hotaru Tachibana is a girl (though all too frequently mistaken for a boy!) with a deep sense of justice. When a classmate informs Hotaru that she was bilked out of her cash by a shady host at a host club, Hotaru immediately rushes to confront the villain only to discover that the con man in question is her new neighbor! Worse, he proposes to settle their feud with firearms! Okay, it turns out that they're just toys, but when Hotaru is soundly defeated, she finds herself sucked into the world of survival games. Is this new world one she can actually escape?

Genders are pretty fluid in manga, aren't they?

BATMAN BEYOND #1

Written by DAN JURGENS

Art by BERNARD CHANG

Cover by RYAN SOOK

Variant cover by MARTIN ANSIN

Blank variant cover

32 pg • FC • $2.99 U.S. • RATED T

“THE RETURN” part one!

Terry McGinnis is back as Batman, much to the delight of his family and friends. But is the original Joker really back as well? Inspired by the possible return of their role model, the Jokerz have taken over an entire section of Gotham City and are determined to wreak havoc in the still-rebuilding city. While Batman battles chaos on the streets, his friend Dana is at the mercy of the new leader of the now-unified gang.

CHAMPIONS: NO TIME FOR LOSERS #1

Written by TONY ISABELLA & BILL MANTLO

Penciled by DON HECK, GEORGE TUSKA & JOHN BYRNE

96 PGS. • Rated T • $7.99

When fate calls, a sensational super-team answers! The avenging Angel! Hercules, Prince of Power! The deadly Black Widow! Ghost Rider, Spirit of Vengeance! And the amazing Iceman! When the Champions come together, it is legendary! So much so they’ll face the mythological might of Cerberus, harpies, Amazons and Greek gods — all culminating in a wedding-stopping assault on Olympus! This mixed-up band might just be the heroes Los Angeles needs. And with the best headquarters Warren Worthington III’s money can buy, and Darkstar added to the ranks, they’ll be ready for the most uncanny of evils — like Swarm, Nazi scientist turned lord of killer bees! Only one group can stop the City of Angels from feeling his sting. They are the Champions — and they’ll keep on fighting ‘til the end! Collecting CHAMPIONS #1-3 and #14-15.

Here's that Champions #1 cover we were all asking about last week!

DISNEY’S GIANT HALLOWEEN HEX #1

Writers: FRANCESCO ARTIBANI, THAD KOMOROWSKI

Art/Cover: GIORGIO CAVAZZANO

Subscription Variant:  ALEX TELVE

FC • 64 pages • $5.99

Hee! Hee! Hee! Scrooge McDuck’s sinister sorceress foe gets her own eerie Halloween extra! And she’s seeking the “Great Rock of Power-Plus” -- the magically supercharged Pantarba Stone -- to destroy Scrooge once and for all!

• Wak! Uncle Scrooge’s wildest, most famous enemy gets her own comic book -- packing untold adventure, magic and mayhem!

• Fantasy fans will be spellbound by an epic trek into the witching world!

• Variant cover by MASSIMO ASARO!

DOCTOR STRANGE: MYSTIC APPRENTICE #1 (ONE-SHOT)

Writer: WILL CORONA PILGRIM

Art: ANDREA DI VITO

Cover by MICHAEL RYAN

Variant cover by RON LIM

Variant cover by CHRISTIAN WARD

40 PGS. • One-Shot • Rated T+ • $3.99

BEFORE HE WAS THE SORCERER SUPREME … STRANGE MASTERED THE MYSTIC ARTS!

A master of delicate surgery, DR. STEPHEN STRANGE had no equal … until a freak accident shattered his hands!

Now a student of the MYSTIC ARTS, Strange must find a way to master his magical assignment … or throw in his cape and robes for good!

Don’t miss this all-new story, as Strange finds that the road to Sorcerer Supreme can be a real pain in the … astral form!

ALSO: reprinting the original first appearance and origin stories of Doctor Strange from STRANGE TALES #110 and #115!

Not sure why we need this. It's almost like he has a movie coming out or something.

ETERNAL DESCENT: COBALT (ONE-SHOT)

Publisher: SPACE GOAT PUBLISHING

Writers: LLEXI LEON, JUSTIN L. PENISTON

Art: ERIC METCALF, TONY KORDOS, JUAN CASTRO

Art/Cover: THOMAS FLEMING

$3.99

Seeking escape from a bleak reality, Rick Drake fills his world with music, struggling to cope with a society that sees his dark gift as a condition to be medicated. Bombarded with visions revealing the dark hearts of humanity, Rick takes up the mantle of Cobalt, dealing brutal justice to sinners foolish enough to think their horrific secrets were safe.

EVIL DEAD 2: REVENGE OF JACK THE RIPPER (ONE-SHOT)

Publisher: SPACE GOAT PUBLISHING

Writer: GEORGIA BALL

Art: FRANCISCO MAURIZ, HOUSE OF IMAGI

Cover: RAUL VALDES, KELLEY JONES

$3.99

Who was the real Jack the Ripper? Ash gets a bit part on a B-movie asking this very question. The answer comes when the obsessed Ripper-fanatic screenwriter gets his hands on the Ex-Mortis. Georgia Ball brings to terrifying un-life one of the greatest mysteries and murderers in Evil Dead 2: Revenge of Jack the Ripper! Good thing Ash is around to bring down the evil haunting the film set-that is, if he doesn't get lost in the London smog himself!

What's with all the Evil Dead one-shots? There were two last week.

INSPECTOR OH #1

Publisher: DEVILS DUE /1FIRST COMICS, LLC

Writer/Cover: MATT YUAN

Art/Cover: JOHN YUAN

$4.99

Follow exorcist Inspector Oh and his intrepid niece Ziyi as they travel through ancient China, battling supernatural menaces wherever they may find them. Their first adventure finds Oh robbed of his memories and trapped in Hell. Will Ziyi be able to rescue him or is he doomed forever?

LAST TEMPLAR VOL 1: ENCODER (GN)

Publisher: CINEBOOK

Writer: RAYMOND KHOURY

Art/Cover: MIGUEL LALOR

$13.95

A thrilling quest to discover the fabled treasure of the Templars! Acre, 1291. The last Crusader city in the Holy Land is about to fall. Two Knights Templar, obeying the Grand Master's orders, manage to escape the invading Muslim army on the order's last ship. New York City, today. During the unveiling of an exhibition of some of the Vatican's treasures, four men disguised as Templars attack the Metropolitan Museum and steal several artefacts, including a centuries-old decoder, a loss that horrifies the Church.

MY GIRLFRIEND IS A T. REX VOL 1 (GN)

Publisher: SEVEN SEAS ENTERTAINMENT

Writer/Art/Cover: SANZO

$12.99

My Girlfriend is a T-Rex is the story of a young man learning to live with his sexy but Cretacious new roommate -- a girl that's part-human, and part-Tyrannosaurus Rex! In a world where humans live side-by-side with anthropomorphic dinosaurs, Yuuma Asahikawa is a young man looking for a fresh start in life. It's a classic case of "be careful what you wish for" when Yuuma begins dating Churio, a gorgeous Tyrannosaurus Rex with a ferocious appetite. Follow the ups and downs of Yuuma and Churio's bizarre romance as they spend their daily lives together. As Churio's vicious claws, reptilian tail and razor sharp teeth hinder even the simplest of activities together, will Yuuma, let alone their relationship, survive?

I had some unusual dates over the years, but none of them were actual dinosaurs.

SCUM'S WISH VOL 1 (GN)

Writer/Art/Cover: MENGO YOKOYARI

$15.00

Fake relationships are fraught with unrequited love in Scum's Wish. Mugi and Hanabi are the perfect high school couple - but their relationship is built on a single shared secret: They're each in love with someone else.

Oh, Japanese teenagers, that trick never works!

THE SKEPTICS #1

Publisher: BLACK MASK COMICS

Writer: TINI HOWARD

Art/Cover: DEVAKI NEOGI

Mature • $3.99

A stylish, political adventure about a pair of hip, clever teens who fool the world into believing they have superpowers. It is the 1960s. The Russians have the A-bomb, the H-bomb, and now the most terrifying weapon of all: a pair of psychically superpowered young people. Terrified and desperate, the US top brass scours from coast to coast in search of psychic Americans. Enter Dr. Isobel Santaclara, an eccentric illusionist and grifter who has recruited two teenagers and trained them to trick the US government, the Russians, and the whole world into believing they are dangerous psychics. The Skeptics is a pre-punk period piece, a sort of honest, unfuzzy, non-nostalgic look at the Cold War in DC.

SPOOKHOUSE #1

Publisher: ALBATROSS FUNNYBOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: ERIC POWELL

$3.99

Eric Powell presents the first issue of an all new anthology series of scary camp fire tales for kids!

Love me some Eric Powell.

TEEN TITANS #1

Written by BENJAMIN PERCY

Art and cover by JONBOY MEYERS

Variant cover by CHRIS BURNHAM

32 pg • FC • $2.99 U.S. • RATED T

“Damian Knows Best” part one! Now that Damian has “summoned” the Teen Titans, the tyrannical teen reveals his master plan! But a great evil from Damian’s past is lurking around the corner, ready to strike at the team’s newest leader and destroy the new Teen Titans before they even begin!

B-b-but ... no Wonder Girl? It can't be the Teen Titans without a Wonder Girl! (Or a Robin or a Kid Flash. But they have those.)

NEKOGAHARA STRAY CAT SAMURAI VOL 1  (GN)

Publisher: KODANSHA COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: HIROYUKI TAKEI

$12.99

A gritty historical action story, starring samurai cats, Nekogahara will appeal to fans of everything from Japanese-flavored fantasy like Naruto to more adult historical action like Lone Wolf and Cub. In medieval Japan, a bell hanging on the collar is a sign that a cat has a master. Norachiyo's bell hangs from his katana sheath, but he is nonetheless a stray -- a ronin. This one-eyed cat samurai travels across a dishonest world, cutting through pretense and deception with his blade.

TOHYO GAME VOL 1 (GN)

Writer: CHIHIRO

Art: TATSUHIKO

$15.00

A simple game turns deadly in this high school of horrors! The class popularity contest was supposed to be for fun, but now the unpopular ones are dying grisly deaths. The classroom has become a horrific struggle for survival. Someone is keeping the game going, but who? Can anyone survive the game and expose the truth?

Why kill the unpopular kids in high school? It's probably more cruel to leave 'em alive.

WOLFCOP #1

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: MAX MARKS

Art: Arcana Studios

Cover A: THOMAS HODGE

32 Pages • Mature • $3.99

Ever since hard-drinking local Woodhaven police officer Lou Garou had a late-night bender and stumbled onto dark magic, his life has been turned upside down. Now he moonlights as WolfCop, a rage-fueled, bourbon-swilling, magnum-toting, rabid warrior for justice!

WOLFCOP #1 sees everyone's favorite alcoholic lycanthropic lawman tearing out of the big screen and onto these gorgeous pages to fight bigger, badder, and meaner monsters than anything that has threatened Woodhaven before!

Oh, please. Lou Garou? Nobody would name their kid that.

WONDER WOMAN 75TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1

Publisher: DC COMICS

Story and art by various

Cover by JIM LEE

Variant cover by NICOLA SCOTT

Variant cover by LIAM SHARP

80 pg • FC • $7.99 U.S. • RATED T

An immense special issue celebrating seventy-five years of the Amazing Amazon, through phenomenal new stories, art, and stand-alone illustrations! Featuring a roster of incredible creators—some who’ve laid down legendary runs with the character, and some who’ve never drawn her before—including Rafael Albuquerque, Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang, Renae De Liz, Brenden Fletcher, Adam Hughes, Karl Kerschl, Gail Simone and many, many more to be announced!

Diana getting some love in her 75th year. Looks pretty good for an old lady!

MORE COMICS OF INTEREST

DOCTOR STRANGE: WHAT IS IT THAT DISTURBS YOU, STEPHEN? (TPB)

Written by MARC ANDREYKO, P. CRAIG RUSSELL, MARV WOLFMAN, GARDNER FOX, RALPH MACCHIO, CHRIS CLAREMONT, MIKE W. BARR, PETER B. GILLIS & MORE

Penciled by P. CRAIG RUSSELL, TOM SUTTON, MICHAEL GOLDEN, MARSHALL ROGERS, SANDY PLUNKETT & CARMINE INFANTINO

Cover by DAVE COCKRUM

224 PGS. • Rated T+ • $29.99

Magical tales from a spellbinding artist! P. Craig Russell brings his distinctive style to Doctor Strange in an Eisner Award-winning tale decades in the making. It’s a psychedelic story of sorcerous seduction that will take you from the arcane shadows of the Sanctum Sanctorum to the dizzying spires of the mystical city of Ditkopolis! The Master of the Mystic Arts puts Clea to the test, faces a challenge to his title as Sorcerer Supreme and battles a hoary host of foes. Plus: Russell turns his attention to (Scarlet) witchcraft and other chilling mysteries! Collecting DOCTOR STRANGE: WHAT IS IT THAT DISTURBS YOU, STEPHEN?; DOCTOR STRANGE ANNUAL #1; MARVEL PREMIERE #7; and DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) #34 — plus material from DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) #46; MARVEL FANFARE (1982) #5, #6 and #8; CHAMBER OF CHILLS #1-2; and JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY (1972) #4.

I don't remember anything from this book from when I read it (gulp) 44 years ago, except that I thought P. Craig Russell should draw Dr. Strange forever.

ELVIS (HC)

Publisher: NBM

Writers/Art: PHILIPPE CHANOINAT, FABRICE LE HENANFF

$19.99

Stepping into Sun Studios in 1954 Elvis Aaron Presley recorded his first single "That's All Right." Little did he know he would soon revolutionize music and culture worldwide. This graphic novel biography starts with the story of "The King's" humble beginnings in Mississippi, detailing, every step of the way, his meteoric rise to the stratosphere of stardom.  It includes his service in the military, his extensive record as a Hollywood film star, his complicated family life, finally ending on the last days of the Hound Dog. Le Henanff's striking photo-quality painting reconstructs Elvis's life in a presentation that practically dances off the page!

Living in Memphis as I do, I feel obligated to tout this book. It's my civic duty.

FUTURE QUEST #6

Written by JEFF PARKER

Art and cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER

Variant cover by DAN PARENT

32pg • FC• $3.99 U.S. • RATED T

Team Quest is dealt a serious blow at the hands of F.E.A.R. just as Omnikron starts rebuilding itself on Earth—out of anything living that comes too close! Inter-Nation’s Deva Sumadi takes charge and splits the group up to go recruit more forces to take on the alien supercreature. It’s time to go on tour with the Impossibles and meet the biggest fighting force in the world, Frankenstein Jr.!

FutureQuest alert!

GOODNIGHT BATCAVE (HC)

Written by DAVE CROATTO

Art and cover by TOM RICHMOND

32 pg • 10” x 8” • FC • $14.99 U.S.

A 100 percent UNauthorized parody of Goodnight, Moon -- as only the world-(in)famous MAD Magazine can do it!

Batman may be ready for bed -- but crime never sleeps! And before the Caped Crusader can turn in for the night, he’ll have to deal with villains like The Joker, Bane, Mr. Freeze, Catwoman and the Penguin! If the Dark Knight hopes to ever catch some Zs, he’ll have to catch Gotham City’s most dangerous criminals first!

In this all-new story from The Usual Gang of Idiots at MAD Magazine, the bestselling children’s book Goodnight, Moon is parodied with the heroes and villains from the world of Batman!

Goodnight, Batmobile! Goodnight, Bat-Computer! Goodnight, Memorials to Dead Sidekicks!

THE HANGMAN #4

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: FRANK TIERI

Art: FELIX RUIZ

Cover A: TIM BRADSTREET

Cover B: GREG SMALLWOOD

32-page • full color comic • $3.99 U.S.

“Damned, Part 4”

Mike Minetta has not been the Hangman long but he already faces the hardest decision any Hangman has ever had to make -- let his family die … or save them and defy the will of Heaven and Hell itself!

JUGHEAD #10

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: RYAN NORTH

Art: DEREK CHARM, JACK MORELLI

Cover A: DEREK CHARM

Cover B: PAUL RENAUD

Cover C: FIONA STAPLES

On Sale Date: 10/26

32-page, • full color comic • $3.99 U.S.

It’s Jughead vs. Sabrina! Jughead has encountered the magical force known as Sabrina the Teenage Witch—and he doesn’t like it one bit! The feelings are mutual, though, as Sabrina thinks good ol’ Juggy’s kind of a jerk. And how do two teens work out their feelings? By pranking the heck out of each other, of course! Get ready for a prank war the likes not seen in this universe!

The vibe I'm getting is that these two are going to end up a couple. That would be new, wouldn't it? Or has it already happened in the years I wasn't reading Jughead?

LIVES (HC)

Publisher: DEVILS DUE/1FIRST COMICS, LLC

$9.99

Five Lives. One day. Some days matter more than others. Read the reviews! " I have read many great OGNs -- Original Graphic Novels -- yet it's been some time that one has made me want to read it again and again in the same sitting!" -- PopCultureUncovered.

MISTY (TPB)

Publisher: REBELLION / 2000AD

Writer: PAT MILLS

Art: MALCOLM SHAW, JOHN ARMSTRONG, Various

$19.99

The first-ever collection of the hugely influential girls horror comic Misty, celebrated by godfather of British comics, Pat Mills, as the "Girls 2000 AD." This stand-alone collection contains the entire run of Misty's two most popular strips Moonchild and The Four Faces of Eve. Like her grandmother before her, Rosemary Black has discovered that she has the power to move things with her mind. While her mother forbids her to use her new found abilities, the actions of a school bully push Rosemary closer and closer towards temptation and revenge. Eve Marshall develops amnesia after an accident. Unable to remember anything about her past and haunted by nightmares involving the tragic deaths of three other girls, Eve sets out to discover the chilling truth of who -- or what -- she really is.

Boy, that face looks familiar. Anyone know where I've seen her before?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Remember when it was a challenge to keep Doctor Strange in his own title, let alone multiple ones?

• I read Price of Cats when it came out on Vertigo, and I liked it quite a bit.

Serenity was the movie, Firefly was the TV show. photo tongue.gif I thought they were both greatly overrated though.

I actually always liked Adrian Chase. He was the last one I cared for. Geez, how many have there been since him?

• Jugghead and Sabrina went out a few times in the Filmation tv show.

• Ah. I thought there might be something.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Jugghead and Sabrina went out a few times in the Filmation tv show.

• As great as Firefly is, it pales in comparison to Terriers, the ACTUAL greatest one-season wonder ever. I bet you'd like it, Cap. (And it's streaming on Netflix.)

• Oh, please. Lou Garou? Nobody would name their kid that.

If anyone doesn't know, loup-garou is French for "werewolf".

NEW AVENGERS #17

The cover has a 70s movie poster look. It might be a homage to something specific. Likewise the Wolfcop and Batman Beyond covers. (The last has an 80s feel to me, but I don't have a visual memory of 80s movie posters.)

Boy, that face looks familiar. Anyone know where I've seen her before?
    That's Misty, the Misty comic's host character. Her image was used on some covers, including most of the annuals and specials. The cover of Misty Holiday Special #1980 (IPC, 1980) is a cropped version of the painting. The GCD says the artist was Shirley Bellwood.
This reply was deleted.