Comics Guide for October 21, 2015

DARK HORSE COMICS

MIDNIGHT SOCIETY: THE BLACK LAKE #4 (OF 4)

Writer/Art/Cover: DREW EDWARD JOHNSON; Colors: LIZZY JOHN

On sale Sept 16, FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

With no other choice -- and the lives of anyone who steps near Loch Ness on the line -- Matilda Finn faces a monstrous creature and brings events under the black lake to a gruesome conclusion. Bathed in death and regret, does she even want to survive, much less return to the service of MI: Omega?

Drew Edward Johnson’s action-packed, creator-owned series!

The art on this series has always been nice, but now I think we can see why this particular story was written: Johnson is especially adept at fish -- or fish-like monsters, or fish-like people. Things with fins, anyway. Because the art in this issue, which involves an underwater battle involving the Loch Ness Monster, is especially impressive.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

PROMETHEUS: THE COMPLETE FIRE AND STONE (HC)

Writers: KELLY SUE DECONNICK, PAUL TOBIN, CHRIS ROBERSON, CHRISTOPHER SEBELA, JOSHUA WILLIAMSON; Art: JUAN FERREYRA, PATRIC REYNOLDS, ARIEL OLIVETTI, CHRIS MOONEYHAM, AGUSTIN ALESSIO; Colors: DAVE STEWART, DAN BROWN; Cover: DAVID PALUMBO

FC, 480 pages, $49.99, HC, 8” x 12”

The moon of LV-223 -- resting place of the doomed Prometheus expedition, enigmatic source of all organic life, and nightmarish source of ultimate destruction. Now a new generation of explorers hope to uncover the mysteries of this strange and dangerous world, but what they find may lead to humanity’s undoing. Collects Prometheus: Fire and Stone #1-4, Aliens: Fire and Stone #1-4, Alien vs. Predator: Fire and Stone #1-4, Predator: Fire and Stone #1-4, and the Prometheus: Fire and Stone -- Omega one-shot.

• Collects the complete blockbuster crossover event!

• Over 80 pages of never-before-seen content!

“Out-of-my-mind nerdgasming for more . . . This is going to be one hell of a ride.”—Bloody Disgusting 

“A welcome return to a truly interesting universe.” -- IGN

I asked for a review copy of this, but due to NYCC (I assume) I didn't get it in time for review. Maybe Horn'd One can fill us in!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

THE ROOK #1 (of 4)

Writer: STEVEN GRANT; Art/Cover: PAUL GULACY; Colors: JESUS ABURTO

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

The most popular series ever introduced in the pages of Eerie!

Seeking his roots, a time-traveling adventurer stumbles across history’s darkest secret: an immortal genius who has terrorized and shaped human culture since the dawn of man. Though seriously outgunned, he begins a lone guerrilla war across time, in pasts unheard of and futures undreamed of, to free humanity from the immortal’s unending grip.

The Rook is back! Bill DuBay’s time-traveling adventure classic returns, penned and illustrated by comics masters Steven Grant (Two Guns) and Paul Gulacy (Jonah Hex)! Restin Dane is ready for action -- anyplace, anytime!

• He’s got history in his gun sights!

• The return of the internationally acclaimed Warren Publishing classic!

I remember The Rook vaguely -- a time-traveling hero who graduated from Warren's Eerie to his own short-lived magazine (14 issues) in 1979. Given the time and place of his origin, you can imagine that Rook himself was more anti-hero than hero, and that every story would end bleakly. That was the state of SF in those days, at least at Warren.

This new book is more straightforward in its action and heroism, although the story is a bit more convoluted, as time-travel stories tend to be. It's a decent story, and well done, as you'd expect from this team of veterans. The premise is strong, so if you're a Gulacy fan -- and I know not everyone is -- you should check it out.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

THE STEAM MAN #1 (of 5)

Writers: MARK ALAN MILLER, JOE R. LANSDALE; Art/Cover: PIOTR KOWALSKI; Colors: KELLY FITZPATRICK

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

The Old West, but not as we know it. Giant steam-powered robots are created to take down invading Martians and armies of killer albino apes in an all-out brawl. The Steam Man, a giant metal man operated by a team of monster hunters, seems to have the town protected and the West under control, until a crazed and powerful vampire comes to town to bring forth the apocalypse!

Co-written by Joe R. Lansdale (Cold in July) and beautifully illustrated by Piotr Kowalski (Sex).

“A crazy wild-west premise with some beautiful art by Piotr Kowalski that blends multiple genres.” -- Bloody Disgusting

The steampunk genre doesn't do a lot for me, but it's OK if it's well done -- which it appears to be here. Kowalski's art is strong, and the main threat both creepy and imposing. The central characters are a team of four, but with just one issue under our belts, only one of them has background/motive and the other three aren't developed much past the usual collection of eccentricities. That'll come in time, and I'll stick around to see how it goes.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DC COMICS

Horror Variants

This week's Halloween-themed variant covers include Black Canary #6 (by Mike Allred, riffing off his iZombie work), Justice League #45, Wonder Woman #45 and Superman/Wonder Woman #22.

ASTRO CITY #28

Written by KURT BUSIEK; Art by GARY CHALONER and WADE VON GRAWBADGER; Cover by ALEX ROSS

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

A look into the life of Wolfspider, the Australian Honor Guard member. When Queenslaw, a cartoon super hero team from Wolfspider’s youth, suddenly turns up as real heroes, he has to deal with his origin, his childhood dreams, and deadly danger. Guest art by Australian comics star Gary Chaloner (Jackaroo, Red Kelso, John Law). Plus: a fistful of Australian super-villains, too! It’s a whole theme thing!

Astro City alert! And there sure is a lot of Astro City out these days, isn't there? Kurt Busiek is being exceptionally productive!

CLEAN ROOM #1

Written by GAIL SIMONE; Art by JON DAVIS-HUNT; Cover by JENNY FRISON

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

It’s the start of the first Vertigo series from fan-favorite writer Gail Simone, with 2000AD artist Jon Davis-Hunt! Astrid Mueller is the enigmatic and compelling guru of a giant self-help organization—a devastatingly powerful figure in the industry between psychology and religion. Journalist Chloe Pierce’s fiancé decided to pick up Astrid’s book, and within three months he was dead. Something in Astrid Mueller’s book made Philip blow his brains out all over Chloe’s new kitchen. 

Now Chloe is on a mission to find out who Astrid Mueller really is. What is this Clean Room she’s been hearing about where your deepest fear and worst moments are revealed? Chloe intends to immerse herself in the Clean Room and wreak havoc on Astrid’s empire.

Gail Simone alert!

Convergence TPBs

The stories featuring DC's "Flashpoint" characters are collected this week.

CONVERGENCE: FLASHPOINT BOOK 1

Writers: GREG RUCKA & VARIOUS; Art: CULLY HAMNER & VARIOUS; Cover: LEE WEEKS

240 pg, FC, $19.99 U.S.

This CONVERGENCE collection stars Batgirl, Nightwing, The Question and many more, as they fight in a gladiator-style competition to see which worlds will live...and which will perish! This book also addresses dangling plot threads from FLASHPOINT and more. Collects CONVERGENCE: SUPERMAN #1-2, CONVERGENCE: THE QUESTION #1-2, CONVERGENCE: BATGIRL #1-2, CONVERGENCE: NIGHTWING/ORACLE #1-2 and CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE #1-2.

CONVERGENCE FLASHPOINT BOOK 2

Writers: TOM PEYER & VARIOUS; Art: STEVE YEOWELL & VARIOUS; Cover: BRETT BOOTH, NORM RAPMUND

240 pg, FC, $19.99 U.S.

This CONVERGENCE collection stars Harley Quinn, The Atom, the Titans and many more in the miniseries THE ATOM #1-2, SPEED FORCE #1-2, TITANS #1-2, BATMAN AND ROBIN #1-2 and HARLEY QUINN #1-2.

GET JIRO: BLOOD AND SUSHI (HC)

Written by ANTHONY BOURDAIN and JOEL ROSE; Art by ALE GARZA; Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

160 pg, FC, $22.99 US • MATURE READERS

Vertigo, the innovative, boundary-pushing imprint of DC Entertainment, will release a prequel to 2012’s GET JIRO! from renowned chef and  New York Times bestselling author Anthony Bourdain (Kitchen Confidential, Medium Raw) along with co-writer Joel Rose (La Pacifica, Kill the Poor, Kill Kill Faster Faster), interior artist Alé Garza, and cover artist Dave Johnson. Reminiscent of a Yakuza action movie, the original graphic novel GET JIRO: BLOOD AND SUSHI is set in Tokyo and tells the story of how Jiro's two worlds collided as he worked for his father's mob, yet pursued his love of cooking at night to become a chef.

"Where did my ultra-violent sushi chef hero from the previous book come from? What if you were brought up in a family where murder is acceptable practice and making the best sushi on the planet is a shameful secret?” Writer Anthony Bourdain stated, “I wanted to take the story back to its beginnings -- in Japan (albeit a slightly-in-the-future, dystopic Japan), and indulge my own enthusiasms for both the place and the many classic genre films that have been made there.  This is fun for me."

“Tony and I wanted to revisit Jiro and go back to his origins," explained co-writer Joel Rose. "We took as our inspiration classic yakuza movies, Ichi the Killer, Battle Without Honor or Humanity and a slew more. We were also looking for an artist with the chops to do the manga we saw as the book's style, and thus, Alé Garza. We are thrilled to be back and can’t wait for fans to pick up the book.”

"When I was approached to work on the Get Jiro! prequel I was giddy with excitement! The idea of getting to create something with Anthony Bourdain was just so overwhelming,” said artist Alé Garza. “I also knew that I'd have to push myself harder creatively. GET JIRO: BLOOD AND SUSHI, has been just that, a creative push forward for myself as an artist. I'm doing my best to create an emotionally compelling world that fits suit with the previously released book. It's really unlike any thing I've ever taken on."

“From the crazy awesome mind of Anthony Bourdain…It’s fantastic! This is such a good read.  It’s really funny, it’s really cool.”-- JIMMY FALLON/LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON on GET JIRO!

“Anthony Bourdain is known for his distinctive personality and witty writing.…The graphic novel is fun for food lovers and common diners alike.” -- THE DAILY MEAL on GET JIRO!

“‘Get Jiro!’” unfolds in a dystopian version of Los Angeles where today’s (mostly) polite and academic discussions about food have evolved into grisly gastronomic feuds.… In some ways, “Get Jiro!” represents a coming-full-circle thing for Mr. Bourdain.” -- THE NEW YORK TIMES on GET JIRO!

I honestly, genuinely do not understand food-oriented entertainment.

The Food Channel seems like an exceptional waste of time to me and food competitions like Iron Chef seem particularly stupid. The food-focused manga I've posted in these guides seem bizarre -- you cannot see, smell or taste the food, so what's the attraction?

I confess I've never been a big eater, which is probably the root of my disaffection. I regard food as a necessity more than a pleasure. The simpler a meal is the better I like it -- one that consists of recognizable meats, cheeses, breads, fruits and vegetables. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full, and don't fantasize -- as I've seen others do -- on what I'm going to eat next. I have gone full days forgetting to eat, and suffered no harm.

I have left the TV on during some of Anthony Bourdain's shows while working, and found it boring. I did like the exotic locales, but I'd rather visit myself, since I'd go see places of historic interest rather than spend all my time in restaurants eating things that look like bugs and bodily fluids.

So I confess I find nothing heroic about chefs, and approach a GN written by a food critic about his obsession as little more than self-serving narcissism. It's not that I hate chefs; it's that I don't find them any more interesting than tailors, dry cleaners or mechanics. I'd feel the same reluctance reading a heroic tailor story by a tailor, or a heroic dry cleaner story by a dry cleaner, and so forth.

But, hey, I am an audience of one. Perhaps you enjoyed Get Jiro! In which, chase, here's a prequel just for you!

JUSTICE LEAGUE: A LEAGUE OF ONE (TPB)

Written by CHRISTOPHER MOELLER; Art/Cover: CHRISTOPHER MOELLER

On sale OCTOBER 21 • 200 pg, FC, $16.99 US

For the first time, JLA: A LEAGUE OF ONE and JLA CLASSIFIED: COLD STEEL #1-2, written and fully painted by Christopher Moeller, are collected in a single volume! In “A League of One,” Wonder Woman hears a prophecy that her Justice League teammates will die in battle against a dragon -- so it’s up to her to first defeat the team herself before she battles the dragon single-handed. Then, in “Cold Steel,” the team launches into space to stop a conflict between two alien factions.

I found the premise of the Wonder Woman story stupid, as I do any story that would end on page one if the main character would just trust her friends enough to tell them what she knew, instead of appearing to betray them. (I'm looking at you, Silver Age Saturn Girl.) But it turned out to be a pretty decent WW showcase for all that.

THE MULTIVERSITY DELUXE EDITION (HC)

Written by GRANT MORRISON; Art by IVAN REIS, JOE PRADO, BEN OLIVER, CAMERON STEWART, CHRIS SPROUSE, KARL STORY, JIM LEE, SCOTT WILLIAMS, DOUG MAHNKE and others; Cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

448 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $49.99 US

The biggest adventure in DC’s history is here! Join visionary writer Grant Morrison, today’s most talented artists, and a cast of unforgettable heroes from 52 alternative Earths of the DC Multiverse! Prepare to meet the Vampire League of Earth-43, the Justice Riders of Earth-18, Superdemon, Doc Fate, the super-sons of Superman and Batman, the rampaging Retaliators of Earth-8, the Atomic Knights of Justice, Dino-Cop, Sister Miracle, Lady Quark and the latest, greatest Super Hero of Earth-Prime: YOU! This deluxe edition hardcover collects all nine MULTIVERSITY issues, plus the indispensible GUIDEBOOK issue!

If you missed it -- or just really enjoyed it -- here's a nice deluxe collection. It might be worth it just to have the guidebook issue in an easily referenced hardback.

TEEN TITANS: EARTH ONE (TPB)

Written by JEFF LEMIRE; Art by TERRY DODSON, RACHEL DODSON and CAM SMITH; Cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON

144 pg, FC, $14.99 US

The acclaimed original graphic novel is now in trade paperback! The young heroes of the Teen Titans never felt like normal kids ... but they had no idea how right they were. Their seemingly idyllic Oregon upbringing hides a secret -- one that will bring killers, shamans and extraterrestrials down on their heads, and force them into an alliance that could shake the planet to its foundations!

If you missed my review of the hardback version of this story when it came out, I'll summarize it here: Yuch.

TITANS HUNT #1

Hey look! An homage cover to Justice League of America #100 (lower right)!

Written by DAN ABNETT; Art and cover by PAULO SIQUEIRA; 1:25 Variant cover by TITANS HUNT

32 pg, FC, 1 of 12, $3.99 US • RATED T

This issue will ship with two covers.

CONVERGENCE is over, but the ripples are still being felt, especially by a young precog named Lilith. What are these visions she’s having of a Teen Titans team the world never knew? And why does she feel compelled to seek out Dick Grayson, Roy Harper, Donna Troy and an Atlantean named Garth and warn them that something dark and sinister is coming after them? Who are Mal, Gnarrk, Hank Hall and Dawn Granger, and what is their connection to the others -- and to the fate of every soul on Earth? This is the Secret History of the TEEN TITANS!

IDW PUBLISHING

Artist's Edition Variants

This week's "Artist's Edition" variants include Back to the Future #1, Danger Girl: Renegade #2, Godzilla in Hell #4, Star Trek #50 and Transformers #46.

BACK TO THE FUTURE #1 (of 5)

Writers: BOB GALE, JOHN BARBER, ERIK BURNHAM; Art: BRENT SCHOONOVER, DAN SCHOENING; Cover: SCHOENING; Variant: BRENT SCHOONOVER; Variant: AMY MEBBERSON

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

"Untold Tales and Alternate Timelines," part 1: BttF creator/screenwriter Bob Gale returns with all-new tales from the twisting and turning timeline that made Back to the Future a, well… TIMELESS pop-culture phenomenon! Take a trip back to 1985 and be there when Doc Brown and Marty McFly first meet, and then jump even farther back, to 1945, to witness Doc's involvement in the super-secret Manhattan Project.

DONALD DUCK #6

Writers: GUIDO MARTINA, HARRY GLADSTONE; Art: GIOVAN BATTISTA CARPI, HARRY GLADSTONE; Cover: DAVE ALVAREZ; Subscription Variant: DEREK CHARM

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

Donald's debut as "The Diabolical Duck Avenger" wraps up -- but will it finish a Duck family feud? Then Donald's nephews celebrate a "Birthday Bugaboo!"

• It's an issue full of fan favorites -- from Donald's wild "Duck Avenger" alter-ego to the never-before-reprinted "Birthday Bugaboo!"

• Continues this beloved series' legacy numbering at #373.

• 40 action-packed pages for only $3.99!

• Variant "Disney Legacy" Halloween-inspired Haunted Mansion cover by Derek Charm!

I wish IDW didn't have a Tuesday embargo on previews, so I could let you guys sample this more often. Because, as I say almost every week, the Disney books are pretty good.

FISTFUL OF BLOOD #1 (of 4)

Writer: KEVIN EASTMAN; Art: SIMON BISLEY; Cover: KEVIN EASTMAN, SIMON BISLEY; Subscription Variant: KEVIN EASTMAN

FC • 40 pages • $4.99

"She drifted into town with a few days to kill ..."

Re-releasing the crazed adventure from Kevin Eastman and Simon Bisley! Every issue of this special edition will feature artwork re-mastered by Kevin Eastman, all-new colors, and a plethora of sketches, process work and other bonus material, too!

• Remastered by Kevin Eastman, and featuring all-new colors, too!

• Fans of Kevin Eastman, Simon Bisley, and non-stop mayhem should not miss this book!

Vampires vs. zombies in the old West, with our silent heroine (with ridiculously bodacious ta-tas) playing the Man With No Name part. I'm not sure who over the age of 12 would enjoy this -- those ginormous boobs seem to be front and center every panel -- but here ya go.

JOE KUBERT'S THE RETURN OF TARZAN ARTIST'S EDITION (HC)

Writer/Art/Cover: JOE KUBERT

HC • BW • $75.00 net discount item • 168 Pages • 12" x 17"

The second volume of Joe Kubert's acclaimed Tarzan series is collected in IDW Publishing's award-winning format. Collecting issues #214, 217-223, this beautiful tome features three stand alone adventures, as well as the epic saga detailing The Return of Tarzan! Each and every story page has been scanned from Joe Kubert's original art, and all but two of his covers (but we're tenacious, we keep looking until the very last minute!).

Kubert's Tarzan isn't my favorite, but it's pretty good.

STAR TREK #50

Writer: MIKE JOHNSON; Art/Cover: TONY SHASTEEN; Blank Sketch available

Subscription Variant: Photo; Artist's Edition Variant: RACHAEL STOTT

FC • 40 pages • $4.99

Following this year’s Comic-Con launch of the epic crossover Star Trek/Green Lantern comic book, IDW announced two more new comic book projects slated for 2015.

This October will see the release of Star Trek #50, marking one of the longest-running Star Trek comic book series by any publisher. Mike Johnson continues his stint with this special anniversary issue that kicks off an epic, three-part adventure that will introduce the classic “Mirror/Mirror” storyline into the new film-based universe. Issue #50 will also boast additional bonus content, including behind-the-scenes looks at the entire 50-issue run, along with hints about where the series is going. It will all be surrounded by a gorgeous wraparound cover by series artist Tony Shasteen.

• Wrap around cover by interior artist Tony Shasteen, celebrating the momentous 50th issue of IDW'S ongoing Star Trek comic!

• The kick-off of a very special 3 part story, inspired by the classic original Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror!"

• Bonus content including behind-the-scenes looks at the last 50 issues of Star Trek … with hints about where the series is going, and what IDW will be doing to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the series in 2016!

• Also available: Artist's Edition cover by Rachael Stott, and a blank sketch cover!

IDW has been doing a good job with the JJ Abrams version of the Trek crew, and here they meet their counterparts from the Mirror Universe. Should be interesting.

IMAGE COMICS

THE BEAUTY #3

Writer:: JEREMY HAUN & JASON A. HURLEY; Art/Cover A: JEREMY HAUN; Cover B: CHRIS MITTEN; Cover C: JEREMY HAUN

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

The Beauties are dying. They're dying bad. Foster and Vaughn find unlikely allies in their fight to find the truth.

The first two issues were well done -- I like the art especially -- although the central mystery isn't all that edifying and I'm not sure how far they can spin it.

THE FADE OUT #10

Writer: ED BRUBAKER; Art/Cover: SEAN PHILLIPS & ELIZABETH BREITWEISER

40 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

Another secret about the murder comes to light!

Every story about the Golden Ages of TV or movies have a super-efficient script girl/continuity girl/fix-it girl (with glasses, ergo not pretty enough to be an actress), and the one in this story always seemed a bit suspicious. I suspect we'll find out more in this issue.

INVINCIBLE: REBOOT

Writer: ROBERT KIRKMAN; Art: RYAN OTTLEY, CLIFF RATHBURN, & JEAN-FRANCOIS BEAULIEU

; Cover: RYAN OTTLEY & JEAN-FRANCOIS BEAULIEU

24 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

"REBOOT?" Part One!

THE WALKING DEAD editor and Skybound Entertainment’s Editorial Director Sean Mackiewicz announced the forthcoming reboot of Kirkman’s long-running superhero series, INVINCIBLE.

This one is big, folks. We're going back to square one. Mark suddenly finds himself without powers. BACK HOME ... but aware of everything he's lived through. What does he change, who can he save ... and how will he deal with his father now that he's knows what's coming?

The INVINCIBLE reboot will begin with issue #124 and is set to launch on October 21 and will retain the same creative team with THE WALKING DEAD writer Robert Kirkman and art by Ryan Ottley, Cliff Rathburn, and Jean-Francois Beaulieu.

It's never a good sign when a series needs rebooting. I haven't checked the sales on Invincible, but I'm guessing they're not good.

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #2

Writer: DAN SLOTT; Art: GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI; Cover: ALEX ROSS; Kirby Monster Variant by PAOLO RIVERA; Variant Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI

32 PGS / RATED T /  $3.99

Spider-Man has gone global! Parker Industries is more successful than ever, with offices in New York, Shanghai, London and San Francisco and Peter Parker is racking up the frequent flyer miles with his "bodyguard" Spider-Man in tow, of course. But success breeds enemies and a reinvigorated Zodiac have also widened their scope to threaten the whole world. Join Dan Slott and Giuseppe Camuncoli as they take Spider-Man to the next level! This huge first issue also includes stories featuring Silk, Spidey 2099, Spider-Woman and much more!

Marvel sent me the variant covers and a press release, so here they are.

THE ASTONISHING ANT-MAN #1

Written by NICK SPENCER; Art by RAMON ROSANAS; Cover by MARK BROOKS; Hip-Hop Variant by MARK BROOKS; Cosplay Variant by SOLOROBOTO INDUSTRIES; Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG; Kirby Monster Variant by TRADD MOORE; Variant by MIKE ALLRED; Blank Variant available

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

The smallest hero with the biggest heart is back! But is he still a hero? Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look inside THE ASTONISHING ANT-MAN #1 – the brand-new series from the red-hot creative team of Nick Spencer & Ramon Rosanas! Scott Lang was once a down-on-his-luck divorced ex-con – until he stole size altering technology from world renowned scientist Hank Pym in order to save his daughter’s life. It’s been a long road for Scott, turning over a new leaf and becoming a hero in his own right as Ant-Man. But when a curveball completely upends Scott’s entire life, will he continue to be a hero? Or is that the push he needs to return to his life of crime? Find out this October when Spencer & Rosanas bring you THE ASTONISHING ANT-MAN #1!

It's taken 50 years, but Marvel's one Silver Age misfire has finally hit the big time. Big time. See what I did there?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

HAWKEYE BY MATT FRACTION AND DAVID AJA OMNIBUS (HC)

Written by MATT FRACTION; Penciled by DAVID AJA, JAVIER PULIDO, JESSE HAMM, STEVE LIEBER, FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA, ANNIE WU, CHRIS ELIOPOULOS & ALAN DAVIS; Cover by DAVID AJA

552 PGS / Rated T+ / $99.99 / Trim size: oversized

Marvel’s most critically acclaimed comic in recent memory! Clint Barton, breakout star of a little Marvel movie you might have seen a while back, continues his fight for justice — and good rooftop BBQs! With Young Avenger Kate Bishop by his side, he’s out to get some downtime from being one of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes — but when the apartment building he’s moved into, and the neighbors he’s befriended, are threatened by a tracksuit-wearing, dog-abusing gang of Eastern European mobsters who say “bro” an awful lot, Clint must stand up and defend his new adopted family…any way he can. It’s Hawkguy, Kate, Pizza Dog et al. against the Clown, Madame Masque, the tracksuits and more in a fantastic, Eisner Award-nominated reinvention of the arrowed Avenger! Bro, you read this book. Okay, bro? Collecting HAWKEYE (2012) #1-22 and ANNUAL #1, and YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS #6.

If I'd known this was coming, I wouldn't have bought the trades! Anyway, it's an entertaining story, bro.

A.K.A. JESSICA JONES: ALIAS VOL. 2 (TPB)

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS; Penciled by MICHAEL GAYDOS & DAVID MACK; Cover by DAVID MACK

128 PGS. / Explicit Content / $19.99

All she ever wanted was to be a super hero. But life had other plans for Jessica Jones. Now, the adventures of the would-be Avenger turned bitter super-powered private eye continue with two new cases. First, Jessica travels to upstate New York to investigate the disappearance of a teenage girl rumored to be a mutant in a prejudiced small town — but a murder mystery and a drunken, ill-advised fling complicate matters. Then, the hard-luck PI goes on a date with…the Astonishing Ant-Man?! Collecting ALIAS #11-15.

With the show coming in November, those of you unfamiliar with the original Jessica Jones story need to pick these up!

KARNAK #1

Written by WARREN ELLIS; Art by GERARDO ZAFFINO; Cover by DAVID AJA; Variant Covers by GERARDO ZAFFINO, SKOTTIE YOUNG, W. SCOTT FORBES; Design Variant by GERARDO ZAFFINO; Connecting Variant Cover by JIM CHEUNG; Hip-Hop Variant by KAARE ANDREWS; Kirby Monster Variant by ERIC POWELL

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

THE FLAW IN ALL THINGS

“My curse is that I see the flaw in all things. Systems. Philosophies. Structures. People. Everything. Never forget who I am. I am Karnak of the Inhumans.” You may not know who Karnak is now, but you will when Warren Ellis (MOON KNIGHT, Planetary) and Gerardo Zaffino are done with you. Phil Coulson goes to Karnak to help with a SHIELD case with Inhuman implications and what he’s going to find will terrify you.

This October, the most mysterious and enigmatic of the Inhumans is on his own for his very first ongoing series! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look at KARNAK #1 – the new series from critically acclaimed writer Warren Ellis (Moon Knight, Planetary) and rising star artist Gerardo Zaffino! Who is Karnak? You may not know now, but you will! With the power to see the flaw in all things – systems, philosophies, structures, people – there is nothing he cannot defeat. But when Phil Coulson  and S.H.I.E.L.D. request his help with a peculiar case, even Karnak may have met his match! Prepare for an explosive debut unlike any you’ve seen in the Marvel Universe before as Ellis & Zaffino bring you KARNAK #1!

Wait, isn't Karnak dead? Well, I guess he got better. And I'm glad, because he was always the most interesting (and underused) of the Inhuman Royal Family. (I don't count Triton, because even though he's also underused, I don't find him remotely interesting.)

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

SECRET WARS: AGENTS OF ATLAS #1

Writer: TOM TAYLOR; Art: STEVE PUGH; Cover by LEONARD KIRK; Variant by TBA

40 PGS / One-Sho / Rated T+ / $4.99

SON OF ANARCHY!

• An oppressive domain run by BARON ZEMO!

• The peoples’ only hope? An underground group of rebels… GORILLA-MAN! M-11! NAMORA! VENUS! MARVEL BOY!

• But their leader JIMMY WOO…captured!

Can AGENT COULSON help save the resistance or will he lead them to their doom?

This was a fun and clever continuity implant that ended far too soon. Glad to see Gorilla-Man and the gang again.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

UNCANNY INHUMANS #1

Written by CHARLES SOULE; Art: BRANDON PETERSON

Cover: STEVE MCNIVEN; Variant Cover by ADI GRANOV; Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG; Connecting Variant by JIM CHEUNG; Gatefold Variant by JIM CHEUNG; Design Variant Cover by STEVE MCNIVEN; Kirby Monster Variant by ART ADAMS; Inhumans 50th Anniversary Variant by ART ADAMS; Hip-Hop Variant by DAMION SCOTT; Cosplay Variant by KALEL SEAN; Blank Cover Also Available

40 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

They walk among you, and this Fall – they are blasting to the forefront of the Marvel Universe like never before! You thought you knew the Inhumans? Think again! Prepare for a new beginning this fall as Charles Soule and Steve McNiven, the team that brought you the blockbuster Death of Wolverine introduce you to the UNCANNY INHUMANS! Medusa! Black Bolt! Triton! Reader! Human Torch?! Beast?!

Eight months have passed. From her throne on New Attilan, Queen Medusa and her new paramour Johnny Storm seek to bolster Human and Inhuman relations with the world’s eyes upon them. Yet in the shadows, the Midnight King has other plans. Black Bolt now runs covert operations in service of a larger, more mysterious goal. What is he up to? Meanwhile, what could have happened between Inhumans and Mutants to make Beast join up with the Inhumans? Did we mention Kang the Conqueror, the most dangerous villain throughout Marvel’s history seeks to exploit the Inhumans for his own gain?

"Many things have changed in the Marvel Universe for the Inhumans in the eight months since the end of Secret Wars,” says series writer Charles Soule. “Something happened- something gigantic. Something that will affect Inhumans and Mutants alike. The brilliant X-Man Beast, aka Hank McCoy, is now living in the Inhuman citadel of New Attilan, working directly with Queen Medusa and the other Inhumans."

What happened? Better pick up UNCANNNY INHUMANS and keep your eyes peeled for future announcements! A new day is dawning for the Inhumans. But will they survive to see tomorrow? Find out as they are thrust into the spotlight like never before this fall in UNCANNY INHUMANS #1!

I find Medusa and Johnny Storm a preposterous couple. Just preposterous. I'm not sure I can swallow a series with that relationship at the heart of it.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

OTHER PUBLISHERS

ARAB OF THE FUTURE GRAPHIC MEMOIR (TPB)

Publisher: METROPOLITAN BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: RIAD SATTOUF

$26.00

In striking, virtuoso graphic style that captures both the immediacy of childhood and the fervor of political idealism, Riad Sattouf recounts his nomadic childhood growing up in rural France, Gaddafi's Libya, and Assad's Syria -- but always under the roof of his father, a Syrian Pan-Arabist who drags his family along in his pursuit of grandiose dreams for the Arab nation.

Riad, delicate and wide-eyed, follows in the trail of his mismatched parents; his mother, a bookish French student, is as modest as his father is flamboyant. Brimming with life and dark humor, The Arab of the Future reveals the truth and texture of one eccentric family in an absurd Middle East, and also introduces a master cartoonist in a work destined to stand alongside Maus and Persepolis.

I love GNs set in areas I know little about. (Granted, there are a lot of such places -- I'm an American, after all.) Even if the story falters, I am fascinated by the foreign cultures and history.

BETTY & VERONICA #278

It’s the dawn of a new beginning for Betty and Veronica! Go to one final prom with Betty and Veronica before the Riverdale High School gym is torn down! The girls commemorate this momentous occasion with a magical trip down Memory Lane, where they reminisce about past dances—the romance, the tears, the laughter, all of Archie's awkward dance moves, all the times he made a date for the same night with both girls… wait a minute, maybe it wasn’t all that great! This time the girls turn it around on Archie for one “Last Dance” in this monumental issue of Betty and Veronica! 

Script/Covers: DAN PARENT; Art: DAN PARENT, RICH KOSLOWSKI, JACK MORELLI

32-page, full color comic. $3.99 U.S.

Adios, B&V. This series is being replaced by one written (but not drawn) by Adam Hughes.

BIG HERO 6 VOL 2 (GN)

Publisher: YEN PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: HARUKI UENO

$12.00

From Yen Press. The sequel to the #1 New York Times bestselling manga tie-in, based on the Disney animated box-office hit Big Hero 6! Hiro teams up with Baymax to resolve the mysterious disappearance of his brother and role model, Tadashi. With four reliable friends and an upgraded Baymax by his side, Hiro finally confronts the masked man, the one who holds the key to the truth!! Spurred by his desire for revenge, Hiro corners the masked man, but then something goes wrong with Baymax! Can Baymax protect Hiro?! Read the wonderfully miraculous conclusion to the story of a boy and his kind-hearted health-care robot!

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by all the Disney comic books that they farm out instead of letting Marvel do them. I feel like every one of them is a slap in the face to Mark Buckley.

BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF X-O MANOWAR #1

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI; Art by CLAYTON HENRY; Cover A by CARY NORD; Cover B by STEPHEN SEGOVIA; Variant Cover by RYAN LEE; Variant Cover by DIEGO BERNARD

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | ONE-SHOT

As BOOK OF DEATH reaches its final chapter this October, Robert Venditti and Clayton Henry are flashing forward to reveal the stunning last stand of Valiant's most formidable hero … the unstoppable X-O Manowar!

Valiant is proud to present an advance preview of BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF X-O MANOWAR #1 – the next essential one-shot at the heart of Valiant's cataclysmic summer event from New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR) and Harvey Award-nominated artist Clayton Henry (ARCHER & ARMSTRONG)! On October 21th, before BOOK OF DEATH reveals its widespread ramifications for the heroes of today, discover the world that awaits Valiant's alien-armored Visigoth in the century yet to come as Aric of Dacia's journey from past to future comes full circle!

After hundreds of years in exile on an alien planet, Aric of Dacia – better known to the world as the unstoppable hero called X-O Manowar – has returned to an unfamiliar Earth, only to find a planet that doesn’t remember … or want him. Can X-O Manowar finally find happiness in the aftermath of the apocalypse? Plus: the ultimate fate of the X-O Manowar armor, Shanhara, stands revealed … and a new generation of Valiant heroes get ready to take flight in defense of a radically transformed planet Earth!

This October, as BOOK OF DEATH closes, Valiant superstars Robert Venditti and Clayton Henry begin a new chapter in BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF X-O MANOWAR #1 – a special standalone tale ripped from the pages of the summer's most acclaimed event! Featuring covers by Cary Nord (X-O MANOWAR), Stephen Segovia (Convergence), Ryan Lee (Uncanny Inhumans), and Diego Bernard (UNITY), don’t miss the final fall of the hero that kicked the Valiant Universe into action, only in BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF X-O MANOWAR #1 – on sale October 21st!

This is the final "Death of ... " one-shot. Eric gets a nice send-off, and it's been a pretty good ride.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DAWN/VAMPIRELLA #5 (OF 6)

Writer/Art/Cover: JOSEPH MICHAEL LINSNER

Rating: Teen + / 32 pages / $3.99

After being forced to entertain the demon Masodik with wild stories under the threat of death, Vampirella has had more than she can stand. She begins to suspect that her fellow captive Dawn might know more than she is saying. Is Dawn hiding some ace up her sleeve, or is she in league with Masodik? Violence erupts between the two. The demon is thrilled by this, thinking he is getting a front row seat to the fight of the century. Blood flies and roses shatter as Dawn and Vampirella come face to face and confront their differences.

I avoided this series thinking it would be nothing but T&A. But I read this last one and take it back. Linsner was fairly reserved in his depiction of these zaftig girls (relatively), and there appears to have been a consequential story.

Also, that's a pretty snappy cover.

IVAR, TIMEWALKER #10

Written by FRED VAN LENTE

Art by PERE PEREZ

Cover A by RAUL ALLEN

Cover B by CAROLINA BONITA SOLER

Variant Cover by KEVIN WADA

$3.99 US | 32 pgs. | T+

Have you ever wondered what would happen if dinosaurs ruled the Roman Empire? Well, you’re gonna find out!

Ivar & Neela continue their pursuit of the Prometheans through time only to discover some, well, HUGE changes their machinations have made to history! Meanwhile, who is THE RACTUS?! And what does he have in store for Neela?

All this and again…did we mention dinosaurs? DINOSAURS! New York Times best-selling writer Fred Van Lente (ARCHER & ARMSTRONG) and Harvey Award-nominated artist Pere Perez (UNITY) bring you "ENDING HISTORY" – Part 2!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

OMAHA BEACH ON D-DAY (HC)

Publisher: :01 FIRST SECOND; Writer: JEAN-DAVID MORVAN; Art: SÉVERINE TRÉFOUËL, DOMINIQUE BERTAIL

$24.99

The first volume of a new series dedicated to exploring iconic moments in World War II history, Omaha Beach on D-Day is a fresh and captivating new take on one of the most important moments in World War II: the Allied forces storming the beach at Normandy. The photograph at the heart of this book is Robert Capa's world-famous shot of the Allied landing in 1944, and the authors of this remarkable work have gathered interviews, testimonials, contact sheets, and over forty pages of photographic archives from the Magnum Photos agency to fill in the history behind a single moment, captured forever on film.

Another historical GN! I hope it's as good as the recent mangas.

RAI #11

Written by MATT KINDT; Art by CLAYTON CRAIN; Interlocking Covers A & B by CLAYTON CRAIN; Cover C by RYAN SOOK; Variant Cover by PAUL MAYBURY

$3.99 US | 32 pgs. | T+

Acclaimed writer Matt Kindt and superstar artist Clayton Crain bring “THE ORPHAN” to a brutal boiling point!

Now that Rai’s allies back on New Japan have reunited, they must figure out a plan to retrieve their friend and topple Father’s rule once and for all. Meanwhile, Rai has his work cut out for him on Earth as his past sins come back to haunt him. Luckily for our hero, justice is Eternal ...

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

THE SHIELD #1

Script: ADAM CHRISTOPHER and CHUCK WENDIG; Art: DAVID WILLIAMS, GARY MARTIN, RACHEL DEERING, KELLY FITZPATRICK; Cover: DAVID WILLIAMS; Variant Cover: WILFREDO TORRES; Variant Cover: ANDREW ROBINSON; Variant Cover: RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE; Dark Circle Movie Throwback Variant Cover: ROBERT HACK

32-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

NEW ONGOING SERIES FROM DARK CIRCLE!  “Daughter of the Revolution, Part 1” Since the dawn of the republic, whenever her country faces its blackest days, she returns: a spirit of the revolution sent to fight for what is right. But when she reappears for the first time in a generation with no memories -- not even of her own identity -- and encounters an evil force expecting her arrival, all the Shield can do is … run!

I have been looking forward to this book, which has been delayed for a very long time. One reason for my impatience is that both The Fox and Black Hood have been very good. Another is that the covers are really attractive, and I don't just mean the pretty girl. If the story is similar to the other Dark Circle books in quality, and the interior art is as good what I see on the cover, this will be another winner.

TRANCERS #1

Publisher: ACTION LAB - DANGER ZONE; Writers: JUSTIN GRAY, JIMMY PALMIOTTI; Art: MARCELO SALAZA, MARCIO FREIRE; Cover: MARCELO SALAZA

Mature/$3.99

Action Lab Entertainment has a hit with CHARLES BAND’S PUPPET MASTER, the horror comic book series based on the popular film series from FULL MOON ENTERTAINMENT. Now the publisher is proud to announce they will be bringing another one of the studio’s classic film series to the comic world with TRANCERS, as part of their brand new comics line, FULL MOON PRESENTS.

Written by legendary creators Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti (Starfire, Harley Quinn) and based on the cult film series starring Tim Thomerson and Academy Award winner Helen Hunt, Trancers is the story of decorated Police Trooper Jack Deth. A cop from the far flung future of the year 2247, Jack must travel back to 1985 Los Angles on a one-way mission to capture a fugitive with the power to transform ordinary people into psychotic killing machines.

With Trancers, Gray and Palmiotti break ground on the Full Moon Presents line of comics, featuring an all-star creator line-up including Tim Seeley (Hack/Slash, Revival, Grayson), Brockton McKinney (Zoe Dare, Ehmm Theory), Dan Mendoza (Zombie Tramp), and Puppet Master-mind Shawn Gabborin.

The first issue will feature a variant cover by Amanda Conner (Starfire, Power Girl and Harley Quinn). Full Moon Presents: Trancers #1 is scheduled for an October 2015 release. Additional FULL MOON PRESENTS titles featuring the works of legendary writer/director Charles Band, Peter David (Oblivion), and David Goyer (Demonic Toys) showcasing more of the studio's cult and modern classics will follow from Action Lab: Danger Zone in 2016!

I've never seen a Trancers movie -- in fact, I didn't know there was more than one. But if you're a fan, here ya go.

WILL EISNER'S THE SPIRIT #4

Writer: MATT WAGNER; Art: DAN SCHKADE, BRENNAN WAGNER; Cover A: ERIC POWELL

$3.99 / Teen + / 32 pages

Ebony and Sammy's trail to discover what has become of their heroic friend leads them next to the infamous P'Gell. The sultry femme fatale claims that she certainly does know The Spirit's fate and is willing to share it with them...but only for a price! Tales are told, some true and some false as a wintry smuggling scheme explodes into danger. Does the truth behind The Spirit's disappearance at last stand to be revealed? This phenomenal new take on one of comicdom's most revered and iconic characters is brought to you by Eisner Award-winning writer Matt Wagner and the visual team of artist Dan Schkade and colorist Brennan Wagner. Join this 75th anniversary celebration of comics master Will Eisner's most famous creation!

The Spirit is back, and he's good! I don't know why we had to have a three-issue buildup before he returned to headline his own series, but maybe it will become clear in time.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Astro City alert! And there sure is a lot of Astro City out these days, isn't there? Kurt Busiek is being exceptionally productive!

It also helps that they've finally decided to use guest artists to give Brent Anderson a break every now and then.

Teen Titans: Year One: If you missed my review of the hardback version of this story when it came out, I'll summarize it here: Yuch.

In case you're wondering, my reaction was the same.  Yuck!

• I'm delighted we're on the same page about the Titans book. As I read your Titans project, it turns out we've been pretty simpatico on that series, too, and what disagreements we've had are really just variations of enthusiasm levels.

What did you find disagreeable about the Titans book?

• I read it back in January so I don't remember much about the specifics.  I just remember being unimpressed.  The story was light.  And, instead of presenting new twists on familiar characters, they offered less interesting (and occasionally unlikable) versions of characters we already know.  It just seemed pointless.

This reply was deleted.