Comics Guide for Sept. 14, 2016

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

A TIME TO DIE (ONE-SHOT)

Publisher: HASHTAG COMICS

Writer: MARTIN DUNN

Art/Cover: JOHN RIVETT

$1.99

It's the end of the world and Oscar is thrust into the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Meanwhile, Sammy, a stripper with a law degree takes the fight to the zeds. A thrilling one-shot in a new series that mixes humor with horror and the inevitability that everyone has "A Time to Die"!

After The Walking Dead, how can you have a zombie one-shot? Everyone wants to know what happens next! At least the price is right.

ALL STAR BATMAN #2

Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

Art by JOHN ROMITA JR., DANNY MIKI and DECLAN SHALVEY

Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR. and DANNY MIKI

Variant cover by JOHN ROMITA JR. and DANNY MIKI

Variant cover by JOCK

Variant cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

40 pg • FC • $4.99 U.S. • RATED T

“My Own Worst Enemy” part 2!

All aboard the train ride from hell! Batman and Two-Face continue their journey to Harvey Dent’s cure through an assassin-infested landscape. But can the Dark Knight continue his crusade across the countryside when Two-Face turns one of his greatest allies against him?

The first issue appears to have been popular, so here's a heads up for the second one. As for me, I thought it had some good bits in it, although the heel turn at the end was unconvincing -- I need more info to buy into that one.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

ANCIENT DREAMS #1

Publisher: ROTHIC

Writer: J.P. ROTH

Art: MIKE KROME

Art/Cover: DAWN MCTEIGUE

$3.99

Cara Wynter is a beautiful young writer, tormented by dreams of her own death. As she struggles to unlock the secrets of her painful nightmares, she finds herself caught in a contest between love and the will of the ancient gods. Through the pages of an ancient book she discovers that the only way to preserve her life and love in the present is to merge with her eternal soul, trapped in the past.

I checked out the Rothic website, since I'd never heard of them. They apparently plan a half dozen titles or so, following the new business model of having all books star hot chicks, with nekkid variant covers an option. Bleah.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

ART OF LOLA XOXO #1

Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC

Art/Cover: SIYA OUM

$5.99

The Wasteland as you have never seen it before!

Journey deep into the world of Aspen's best-selling series, Lola XOXO, with this comprehensive art book featuring series creator Siya Oum's breathtaking Volume One concept design work, incredibly detailed landscape portraits and more gorgeous sketches! This oversized collection of art is a must-have for all fans of creator Siya Oum and Lola XOXO!

I don't know what Aspen's business model is, but putting out an art book for a series that has a total of 11 issues in print smacks of gouging.

ASTRO CITY #38

Written by KURT BUSIEK

Art by CARMEN CARNERO

Cover by ALEX ROSS

32 pg • FC • $3.99 U.S. • RATED T

In the 15th century, the Hanged Man made a promise. Today, he needs a lawyer. A look back in at Marta Dobrescu, and her life in Shadow Hill, Astro City’s occult enclave -- a life dealing with ghosts, demons, family, romance and other horrors. And the Hanged Man won’t be her only new client, either. Part 1 of a 2-part story drawn by guest artist Carmen Carnero (Adventures of Supergirl, Dragon Age, Cyclops).

Astro City alert!THE BLACK MONDAY MURDERS #2

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer: JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art: TOMM COKER

Cover: TOMM COKER

56 PAGES • FC • M • $4.99

“A SPIRIT OF COOPERATION”

In the world of high finance, solving one murder leads the police to the location where all the bodies have been buried. The time is nigh to invest in the coolest new comic of the year!

The first issue hooked me pretty good.

Hickman usually delivers fully fleshed-out stories that he has thought out in detail, which he doles out piecemeal. That doesn't often work in serialized fiction very well, and to tell you the truth, even at 52 pages the first issue didn't dump enough info (although there was plenty) to really get a handle on the story. But the characterization is already three-dimensional, and there's so much information -- even when you know it's just the tip -- that I felt like I was in good hands.

So the upshot is that I'm on board, even though I don't, as yet, know what the hell is going on. Besides, I'm usually a sucker for "this is how the world really works" stories when they're integrated well into actual historical events, which is the case here. (Think "Crash of 1929.")

BRIGGS LAND #2

Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer: BRIAN WOOD

Art: MACK CHATER

Colors: LEE LOUGHRIDGE

Cover: TULA LOTAY

FC • 32 pages • $3.99 • Ongoing

Grace’s first test as boss of the Briggs’ territory presents itself: bring her sons together in the aftermath of an attempted assassination. Nearby, two ATF agents start to dig into the family business.

I've read both issues, and it's very well done. But I'm not sure I'm really into it.

The premise reminds me of the Gerhardts in Fargo, or the bikers in Sons of Anarchy, or even the backwoods rednecks of Winter's Bone; the Briggs run their rural area like a private fiefdom, with their own rules and pecking order, where they answer to no government (but all the trailer trash answers to them). With the resurgence of white nationalism in recent years, this sort of "community" -- which I have no doubt exists in states like Idaho and Montana -- is more plausible than ever before.

But do I care? This is basically a low-rent crime syndicate with Nazi sympathies and a hatred of government that boils down to hating that anyone can tell them "no." Frankly, all these thugs are despicable, even Floyd Gerhardt the protagonist I'm pretty sure we're supposed to root for, and I find it difficult to care what happens to any of them. If they all killed each other, they'd be doing the world a favor. 

But OK -- I usually enjoy everything Brian Wood writes, so I'll give it a bit longer to impress me. Especially since I need to be knowledgeable about the series for the inevitable TV adaptation.

CINEMA PURGATORIO #5

Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writers: ALAN MOORE, GARTH ENNIS, MAX BROOKS, KIERON GILLEN, CHRISTOS N. GAGE

Art: RAULO CACERES, MICHAEL DIPASCALE, IGNACIO CALERO, GABRIEL ANDRADE, RAULO CACERES, KEVIN O'NEIL

Cover A: KEVIN O'NEIL

Ancient Tome Premium Cover ($9.99): GABRIEL ANDRADE

Code Pru: RAULO CACERES

Modded: IGNACIO CALERO

Perfect Union: MICHAEL DIPASCALE

Vast: GABRIEL ANDRADE

Mature • $6.99

They've taken your ticket and ushered you to a seat. You know something is wrong here. You can feel it in the very fabric of the dingy and smoky theatre you sit in. It's an almost palpable dread you feel as the lights go down and the first reel begins to play...  This issue continues Cinema Purgatorio by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill, A More Perfect Union by Max Brooks and Michael DiPascale, Code Pru by Garth Ennis and Raulo Caceres, Modded by Kieron Gillen and Ignacio Calero, and The Vast by Christos Gage and Gabriel Andrade. Each story has its own cover by the series artist and there is also an Ancient Tome Premium edition limited to 1000 copies.

Alan Moore alert!

CLIVE BARKER'S NIGHTBREED ARCHIVE (HC)

Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writers: CLIVE BARKER, D.G. CHICHESTER, ALAN GRANT, JOHN WAGNER

Art: JIM BAIKIE, PAUL JOHNSON, MARTIN EMOND, JACKSON GUICE, ALFRED RAMIREZ, BRET BLEVINS, MIKE MANLEY, RICARDO VILLAGRAN

Cover: MIKE MIGNOLA

$44.99

Explore horror master Clive Barker's '90s cult-classic Nightbreed series like never before in this comprehensive archive collection.

Features the adaptation of his original screenplay; the original '90s Nightbreed Epic comic run; and the Hellraiser/Nightbreed crossover, all remastered and collected for the first time.

The Nightbreed is a tribe of monsters and outcasts who hide out from society in an underground community called Midian.

OK, hands up anyone who thinks reprinting the mediocre Clive Barker books published by Marvel in the '90s is a good idea. Yes, we're all just dying to read Hex & Hokum again.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

DARK SOULS: LEGEND OF THE FLAME #1

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

WRITERS: GEORGE MANN, DAN WATTERS and various  

ARTISTS: ALAN QUAH, NICK PERCIVAL and various

Cover A: ALAN QUAH

Cover B: TYLER CROOK

Cover C: ROBERT HACK

Cover D: JANA HEIDERSDORF

Cover E: NICK PERCIVAL

FC • 32pp • $3.99

All-new stories inspired by the smash hit video game!

Titan Comics are excited to announce that following the sell-out smash success of Dark Souls #1 and 2, Dark Souls is returning to comics for a brand-new, action-packed anthology series!

Dark Souls: Legends of the Flame #1 builds on the reverent lore of BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment’s critically lauded video game franchise and features some of the comic industry’s brightest talents.

Dark Souls III was released in April to critic and fan fervor; it remains one of the Top 10 popular games globally and it is now the fastest selling game in the franchise. Titan’s comic series sold out of Issue #1 on its first day of release and is currently on a third printing.

George Mann (Doctor Who) and Alan Quah (Orphan Black) return to the eldritch world of their three-time sell-out smash Dark Souls series alongside a host of new creators; Dan Watters (Image Comics’ Limbo), Tauriq Moosa (The Guardian, Mary Sue), Damien Worm (The October Faction), Piotr Kowalski (The Dark Tower, Robocop) and more!

Dark Souls: Legend of the Flame #1 comes with a host of covers to collect, and drawn by top industry talents including: Alan Quah (Dark Souls), Tyler Crook (Harrow County), Robert Hack (Afterlife with Archie), Jana Heidersdorf and Nick Percival (Judge Dredd, Slaine)!

I don't play the game and I didn't read the last mini. But it sold well enough for a sequel, and those covers look nice, so I may let this press release convince me.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

DOCTOR WHO 3RD #1 (of 5)

Writer: PAUL CORNELL

Artist: CHRISTOPHER JONES

Colors: Hi-Fi

Cover A: JOSH BURNS

Cover B: Photo

Cover C: SIMON MYERS

Cover D: PAUL MCCAFFREY

Cover E: Blank Sketch Variant

Forbidden Planet/Jetpack store variant: BOO COOK

Diamond UK variant: ANDY WALKER

FC • 32pp • $3.99

Paul Cornell returns to Doctor Who comics with THE HERALDS OF DESTRUCTION! When something enormous crashes into Bedfordshire, the Doctor, Jo Grant, and the forces of UNIT under Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart mobilise immediately – and find themselves in the middle of a pitched battle against a terrifying invader... But the shocking face that awaits their return to base may tip the whole world off its axis!

It's classic Third Doctor action as you've never seen it before!

I don't think I've even seen this Doctor before! But it's a first issue, so here ya go.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

DOOM PATROL #1

Written by GERARD WAY

Art and cover by NICK DERINGTON

Variant cover by BRIAN BOLLAND

Variant cover by SANFORD GREENE

Variant cover by JAIME HERNANDEZ

Variant cover by BRIAN CHIPPENDALE

Variant cover by BABS TARR

32 pg • FC • $3.99 U.S. • MATURE READERS

The atoms are buzzing. The daydreams crowd sentient streets, and the creative team has been warned, “Turn back now or suffer the mighty consequence of sheer, psycho-maniacal mayhem.” Generation-arsonists unite -- this is DOOM PATROL, and the God of the Super Heroes is bleeding on the floor.

A blenderized reimagining of the ultimate series of the strange, DOOM PATROL combines elements from classic runs, new directions, and things that could not be. Our entry point is Casey Brinke, a young EMT on the graveyard shift to abstract enlightenment, with a past so odd that she’s not entirely sure what is real and what is not. Along with her partner, Sam Reynolds, the pair blaze a path through the city and its denizens, finding the only quiet that exists at 3am is the chaos of the brain. When the pair answer a hit-and-run call, they find themselves face to face with a familiar figure: Cliff Steele, AKA Robotman.

“It gets weirder from here,” writer Gerard Way had to say about the book, with artist Nick Derington gripping tightly on the wheel of the ambulance. The pair’s only communication? Shouting out of the open windows while at high velocity. Who needs a new roommate? Who names a cat “Lotion”? And when do we get to see all those muscles?

Find your answers inside the pages of this comic book, as we set the stage for new beginnings, as well as the re-introduction of some classic DOOM PATROL characters, including Niles Caulder, Negative Man, Flex Mentallo and Crazy Jane.

The debut title of DC’s Young Animal line kicks off with a removable sticker on its cover: Pull back the gyro to reveal its secrets, but be warned -- there is no turning back.

I guess, post-Morrison, we're never going to see the original Robotman again, who I thought played pretty well as the "everyman" character (despite the full-body prosthesis) who could act as the reader's POV. And with a title as bizarre as this one has been in its last few incarnations (and looks to be in this one), we need a POV character! Oh, well. You can bet I'll try it out.

FAITH #3

Written by JODY HOUSER

Art by PERE PEREZ and MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Cover A by KEVIN WADA

Cover B by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Cover C by ADAM GORHAM

Variant Cover by CARMEN CARNERO

Variant Cover by CLAYTON HENRY

$3.99 • 32 pgs. • T+

"THE FUTURE OF VALIANT"

Cosplay! Comics! Crime?! #FaithCon2016 is about to begin … and it's going to send the breakout series of 2016 hurdling into its most dangerous challenge yet!

Valiant is proud to present your first look inside FAITH #3 – A NEW CHAPTER and ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT for the most successful independent superhero series of the year! On September 14th, rising star Jody Houser (Mother Panic) and red-hot artists Pere Perez (ARCHER & ARMSTRONG) and Marguerite Sauvage (DC Comics Bombshells) are giving Faith an all-access pass to the comic book convention of her dreams! But will the ultimate fangirl fantasy turn fatal when villainy rises from the back-issue bins to challenge Los Angeles’ favorite superhero?

Mild-mannered blogger by day. L.A.’s leading superhero by night. Faith Herbert – aka the high-flying hero called Zephyr – has come a long way since she first set foot in the City of Angels. But nothing can prepare her for the pinnacle of all her experiences to date: California’s biggest comic book convention! But even amidst a sea of fellow fans, cosplayers, and collectibles, crime waits for no man! With thousands watching and even more at stake, can Faith prevent all-pandemonium – and preserve her secret identity – when the fun turns to frenzy?

Jump on board here to find out why critics around the world are hailing FAITH as the year's can't-miss new series:

“✮✮✮✮✮ … FAITH will restore your faith in comics again. It’s like reading Spider-Man or Superman for the first time.” – Spartantown

“✮✮✮✮✮ … A hero that will appeal to fangirls and fanboys everywhere.” – Nerds on the Rocks

“✮✮✮✮½ … If you haven’t jumped on [FAITH] yet, now is the perfect time… Packed to the brim with humour, drama and excitement, FAITH is all but guaranteed to become your new favorite superhero.” – Big Comic Page

“✮✮✮✮½ … A book full of heart and hope…[and] a worthy addition to the Valiant pantheon…” – Bounding into Comics

“✮✮✮✮½ … Houser creates a great all-ages story while crafting one of the best female characters in all of comics.” – Outright Geekery

“✮✮✮✮½ … FAITH will be a gateway to a new generation of comic readers.” – The Fandom Post

“✮✮✮✮½ … A must-read book…[and] an excellent new story from Jody Houser…” – AiPT!

On September 14th, be there as Jody Houser, Pere Perez, and Marguerite Sauvage kick off #FaithCon2016 with a bang and bring the most-talked about new series of 2016 to stratospheric new heights, only in FAITH #3 – featuring covers from Kevin Wada (Scarlett Witch), Marguerite Savauge (DC Comics Bombshells), Adam Gorham (DEAD DROP), Carmen Carnero (Adventures of Supergirl), and Clayton Henry (ARCHER & ARMSTRONG)!

Then, Faith flies even higher this November in FAITH #5 – a history-making, 48-page election special teaming the leading female hero in comics today with Hillary Clinton, the first female nominee from a major political party, for a special tale written by comics legend Louise Simonson with art by FAITH‘s own Pere Perez! Also featuring Jody Houser, Meghan Hetrick, Rafer Roberts, Colleen Doran and more, join an all-star cast of Valiant’s greatest talents on November 2nd—just days before Election Day 2016 — in FAITH #5 as the leading heroine in comics today soars for a landmark comics event!

Somebody on Quora asked if there were any lead female characters in comics who didn't conform to the sexy-chick stereotypes, and the responder brought up this title. Yes, it's unique, which is a shame, but maybe it will kick the door down so women of all shapes and sizes are better represented in comics.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

FLESH OF WHITE #1 (of 4)

Publisher: COSMIC TIMES

Writer: ERICA J HEFLIN

Art/Cover: AMANDA RACHELS

$2.99

Rehema lives a happy life in modern Tanzania with her husband, Idi, and their young son with albinism, Kwasi -- until Kwasi's white flesh comes to the attention of a remorseless Witch Doctor who covets the child's tissues for use in powerful magicks. Only through her love, some luck, and the sacrifices of their community can Rehema save Kwasi from mutilation or death.

Another new publisher. I poked around, and they're located in Lake City, Fla., as is "Infinity Con," so I suspect a connection. They've apparently had a couple of digital-only books so far, and this is the first print one. Points for setting a book in Africa, which is relatively rare. (Offhand I can only think of three: Black Panther, Batwing and Joshua Dysart's Unknown Soldier.)

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

GOTHAM ACADEMY: SECOND SEMESTER #1

Written by BRENDEN FLETCHER, BECKY CLOONAN and KARL KERSCHL

Art by ADAM ARCHER and SANDRA HOPE

Cover by KARL KERSCHL

Variant cover by FIONA STAPLES

32 pg • FC • $2.99 U.S. • RATED T

The students of Gotham Academy are back  in the new series GOTHAM ACADEMY: SECOND SEMESTER, written by Becky Cloonan, Brenden Fletcher and Karl Kerschl with art by Adam Archer, Sandra Hope and MSASS! To celebrate the return of the beloved Pizza Club, artist Fiona Staples has created new variant covers for GOTHAM ACADEMY: SECOND SEMESTER #1-3.

In the first few issues of the new series, when you’re Olive Silverlock, winter holidays can be a drag. Luckily, when a new student shows up at Gotham Academy to keep her company while the other students are away, Olive finds what could be a brand new friend … or a whole lot of trouble! And despite Olive’s new friendship with the rebellious Amy, she, Maps, Kyle, Colton and Pomeline are back together at last. The only thing they’re missing … is a mystery! Maps campaigns to recruit new cases, but stumbles on a threat that might be too big for even the Detective Club! Will Maps Mizoguchi abandon the Detective Club for … Witch Club?! The gang refuses to believe that their fearless cartographer would ever betray them. A mystery must be afoot! But who is behind it and what sinister plans do they have for the Academy?

I want to like this book, but when I sample it I remain unmoved. It's just really not aimed at me, is it? That's probably a good thing.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

GRIMM VOL. 2 #1

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: CAITLIN KITTREDGE

Art: MARIA SANAPO

Cover A: MARIA SANAPO

Cover B: KYLE STRAHM "Mask Variant"

32 pages • Teen+ • $3.99

What do Juliette, Adalind, Truble and Rosalee have in common? They're the women in the life of Portland's own Grimm, Nick Burkhardt, and they're about to cross paths in a way they'd never expect! Set during the tumultuous fourth season of the hit television show, Juliette's struggles to come to terms with becoming a Hexenbiest draw her into conflict with a new Wessen threat, and she finds she has nowhere to turn except her most hated enemy, Adalind! That's right, the woman who impersonated Juliette and slept with Nick! Written by Caitlin Kittredge, the author behind the Nocturne City and Iron Codex novels (among many others) and Coffin Hill for Vertigo, with art by rising newcomer Maria Sanapo!

I never saw the TV show. Were there lots of female characters, as indicated by that first cover? I thought Grimm was a guy. Was it really scary, or pseudo-scary? Someone educate me!

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

HADRIAN’S WALL #1 (of 6)

Writers: KYLE HIGGINS & ALEC SIEGEL

Art/Cover: ROD REIS

32 PAGES • FC • M • $3.99

When an astronaut on HADRIAN’S WALL is murdered, pill-popping detective Simon Moore is dispatched to investigate the ship’s crew … including his own ex-wife. But if Simon’s not careful, what he finds could make the interstellar Cold War go red hot. From the creative team behind the critically-acclaimed series C.O.W.L. comes a gripping, locked room murder mystery where the secrets of everyone involved are as dark as the space that surrounds them.In 1983, tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union culminated with nuclear detonations in New York City and Moscow. In the decades following, the two superpowers found peace through a partnership focused on building the first colony in space. But now, 70 years later, a new Cold War simmers … between Earth and that very colony.

“With C.O.W.L., Image afforded us the tremendous opportunity to launch a creator-owned series focusing on dark, complex, morally ambiguous characters in a time of great change,” said Higgins. “We’re thrilled to continue that trend with Hadrian’s Wall, and even more thrilled to continue our partnership with Image.”

Hadrian's Wall is a locked-door murder mystery in outer space,” said Higgins. “This series brings together our favorite parts of noir -- cold blooded murder, the P.I. with a checkered past and political corruption -- with an epic, widescreen, science fiction story.”

“Rod Reis’ stellar art and designs recalls the aesthetic of Blade Runner and Alien, while creating a world that is personal and unique,” said Siegel. “His storytelling has gone to a whole new level.”

"This book started with our love for 1970s and '80s sci-fi, and quickly grew into something much more. From a murdered crew member, to a failed marriage, to a colony that just wants independence, this is a story about broken relationships—what tears people apart, and what it takes to bring them back together," said Higgins.

“A love letter to Blade Runner, Outland and Aliens.” -- IGN

“Right from page one, this pulled me in and didn't let go.” -- Mark Waid (Black Widow)

"HADRIAN'S WALL is a noir-infused mystery with the cold atmosphere of classic sci-fi dystopia. Reis delivers career defining visuals,  capturing the cold isolation of '80s sci-fi while adding a contemporary veneer. Higgins, Siegel, and Reis are telling a story that has all the makings of a classic." -- Declan Shalvey (All-Star Batman, Injection)

“Gorgeous.” -- INVERSE

Every book with a murder on a space station inevitably reminds one of Outland. And since I found Outland to be kinda mediocre, that's not a good starting point for me. Now, if it veers more toward Alien in content and tone, I'll be on board tout de suite.

HARLEY QUINN VOL 5: THE JOKER'S LAST LAUGH (HC)

Written by AMANDA CONNER and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by AMANDA CONNER and CHAD HARDIN

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

144 pg  FC  $24.99 U.S.

At last, Harley Quinn and The Joker come face-to-face in these stories from issues #22-25! Harley’s got an endangered friend to save, but there’s just one problem: she’s got to get through Arkham Asylum first! Unsurprisingly, Harley’s not eager to set foot in the site of some of her darkest hours ... and she definitely isn’t ready to face a certain someone who’s laughing at the end of a dark hallway. The life of Harley’s new love, Mason Macabre, is in The Joker’s hands ... but can he or Harley survive another round of The Joker’s twisted mind games? Plus: for the first time in book form, it’s the story previously available only to Loot Crate subscribers! In this story featuring art by Amanda Conner, Harley finds a genie in a bottle -- and redefines the phrase “be careful what you wish for”!

Harley Quinn is always more appealing to me in theory than in practice. I think the character's concept is awesome, but when I actually read her book, I find it kinda juvenile and disappointing. This one has the scene where Harley breaks it off with Joker for good -- even biting off his lower lip for emphasis -- so it's historically important. But that's in the final issue and I've been slogging through the front of the book for a week now. I'll get  to the Joker scene eventually -- I'm nothing if not stubborn -- but you should know reading this collection has been a chore for me, not a pleasure.

Oh, the cover is an homage to James Bond movie posters. I Googled it, and discovered that virtually every Sean Connery movie had at least one poster with him in the traditional pose that Harley's in.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

JACK THE LANTERN SALVATION #0

CASTLE RAIN ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: MICHAEL ANGELOS

Art/Cover: ANDREW MANGUM

Mature $3.99

The war for the Argotakar's soul has ended with the sacrifice of Frank Casper. Now it's up to Jack to return to the landscape of Argo's soul and face a horde of creatures and their malevolent master: the Hooded one. Can Jack rescue Argo or will he lose him forever? Elsewhere, Jadugar and her allies begin to suspect a possible foe in their midst. Featuring a variant retailer incentive cover Tim Vigil!

Evidently this character and publisher have been around since the early 2000s, and I know nothing about either (except that Castle Rain is Canadian). That's not a good sign.

LATE BLOOMER (GN)

Publisher: BIG PLANET/ RETROFIT COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: MARÉ ODOMO

Mature $10.00

Comics poetry. An emotional journey portrayed in lush pencils. An indescribable comics experience, unique to the medium.

Pretty much the last thing in the world I want comics to be is poetry. But this might be the very thing that turns someone (who is not at all like me) on to comics, so I'm glad it exists.

MARVEL COVERS: THE MODERN ERA ARTIST’S EDITION

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

HC • FC • 144 pages • 12” x 17” • $100.00

Volume two of Marvel Covers charts NEW territory -- literally -- featuring covers from the last 25 years! Included in this volume will be gorgeous selections by a vast array of talents as they interpret many of Marvel’s most iconic characters and titles! Marvel Covers Artist’s Edition Volume One was a smash hit, soon going into a second printing -- don’t be caught short on what will be one of the most exciting Artist’s Editions of the year!

Pass. But you might like it.

MIRROR: THE MOUNTAIN (TPB)

Writer: EMMA RIOS

Art/Cover: HWEI LIM

180 pages • FC • $14.99

Emma Ríos (PRETTY DEADLY, I.D.) and Hwei Lim (Lalage, Hero) team up for MIRROR: THE MOUNTAIN, collecting the first five issues of the otherworldly fantasy into trade paperback this September.

The mage-scientists of The Synchronia have terraformed a portion of an asteroid, a tiny fragment of a once lush world. An unexpected side effect arises in the spontaneous sentience of the animals sent to test the environmental conditions. This is the story of what happens next. MIRROR: THE MOUNTAIN includes 180 pages of story, world-building mini-comics, and extras.

PRAISE FOR MIRROR:

“From cover to cover, it has the luminosity of stained glass.” -- Pop Optiq

“The kind of book that breathes imagination into the world. It’s beautiful and heart-wrenching, emotional and visually stunning.” -- Comicosity

“Emma Ríos once again proves herself to be just as fantastic a writer as she is an artist, and has found the perfect partner in Hwei Lim. Their styles, in both art and writing, perfectly compliment one another to make a gorgeous and fascinating fantasy comic that feels like nothing you’ve ever read before.” -- Multiversity

This series slipped by me, but IDW liked it enough to send out this press release for the collection.

NICOLAS (HC)

Publisher:DRAWN & QUARTERLY

Writer/Art/Cover: PASCAL GIRARD

Hardcover • 112 pages • 5.4" x 6.4" • B&W • $16.95 USD / $14.95 CAD

Burdened with grief, confusion and anger, Pascal Girard explores the childhood passing of his five-year-old brother, from his memories as a nine-year old struggling to understand up until present day, twenty-five years after the shattering loss.

Originally published 10 years ago, this edition includes new comics and an introduction that contemplate the larger effect of Nicolas's death on his current behaviors and habits. Nicolas is a delicate, minimalist portrait of the many faces of mourning, identified with surprising humor and pathos by an artist who knows them intimately.

I'd probably shelve this next to David B.'s Epileptic, which was engaging, if depressing.

POCAHONTAS: PRINCESS OF THE NEW WORLD (GN)

Publisher: PEGASUS

Writers: LOIC LOCATELLI-KOURNWSKY, SANDRA SMITH

Art/Cover: LOIC LOCATELLI-KOURNWSKY

$25.95

A stunning interpretation of the unforgettable story of America's greatest Indian princess, vividly illustrated as never before. Pocahontas, daughter of Chief Powhatan, has been promised to her betrothed, Kokum, according to custom. At that very moment, three British ships arrive on the coast of America. It is 1607, and the life of Pocahontas -- like the fate of the entire American continent -- is about to change dramatically. With her great love of freedom -- as well as her belief in understanding and tolerance between the two peoples -- and by defying her father's taboos, Pocahontas forges a relationship with the British colonists who have just disembarked. She secretly provides them with food and saves the life of the handsome Captain Smith -- and falls madly in love.

The Powhatans would have been better served to kill everybody at Jamestown. Look what being nice got them!

RE*PRO*DUCT (TPB)

Written by AUSTIN WILSON

Illustrated by LOGAN FAERBER

96 pages • Softcover with French flaps and die cut window front cover revealing image on inside flap • 6.625″ x 10.25″ • $19.99 

Magnetic Press has unveiled the graphic novel RE*PRO*DUCT. Written by Austin Wilson (Six Barrel Shotgun) & illustrated by Logan Faerber (Oh Killstrike, Adventure Time), this gorgeously rendered and sharply written down-to-earth sci-fi story grapples with some of the most important questions of identity, gender, and politics from a fascinatingly fresh new set of robot eyes. Who's Product are YOU?

In the future, robots have been legally granted the right to life. Their intelligence is not artificial, and it may not be the best approximation of a personality, but they reflect all the intricacies of a human mind and personality, only from within a manufactured shell, developing and learning as the rest of us do. They mirror us in all the ways we would want, but also in those ways we would wish to exclude.

Carbon Barnes is one such robot, just looking to get by with a meager job, nights out at the club with friends, maybe meet a nice girl. But he still has a lot to learn about the world, as all of us do, starting with what to make of this weird nightly phenomenon folks call “dreaming.” A slice-of-life story for everyone, with a robot-twist.

WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING:

“An engaging selection of scenes from the burgeoning cohabitation of evolving ‘bots and the humans in their lives. Yeah, their lives. This is a book from the robo POV, deftly illustrating the complexities of their coming to grips with the messiness of being human. Why, oh why, would they ever want that?” -- BOB FINGERMAN (Minimum Wage, White Like She, Recess Pieces)

“It’s great to see creative teamwork really sing like this – Re•pro•duct throws you into a weird, busy world that’s surprisingly human.” -- LIZ SUBURBIA (Sacred Heart, Cyanide Milkshake)

Um. Not sure about this -- I've seen enough "robots try to be human" stories to last me a lifetime. But I'll sample it anyway.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

RESIDENT ALIEN: THE MAN WITH NO NAME #1 (of 4)

Writer: PETER HOGAN

Art/Cover: STEVE PARKHOUSE

FC • 32 pages • $3.99 • Miniseries

Dark Horse is proud to announce the newest installment in the Resident Alien universe, Resident Alien: The Man with No Name. Peter Hogan (2000 AD, Tom Strong) and Steve Parkhouse (Milkman Murders, Doctor Who) will revisit Dr. Harry Vanderspeigle and his mysterious adventures in Patience, Washington.

Resident Alien chronicles the life of Harry, an alien who crash-landed on Earth and is forced to hide in plain sight among humans. While awaiting rescue and dodging government agencies intent on capturing him, Harry spends his time solving murders and other mysteries in a small Washington town. In The Man with No Name, Harry investigates a huge, bizarre fire attributed to a possible drug ring, while fending off the investigative prowess of the United States government.

Resident Alien writer Peter Hogan explained the creative premise behind The Man with No Name: “In this series Harry’s not only dealing with a murder mystery; he’s having to deal with dramatic developments in his personal life as well — and readers will finally learn the answers to some of their questions about Harry’s past.”

Dark Horse, Hogan and Parkhouse published the first Resident Alien series in 2012. The Man with No Name is the fourth Resident Alien miniseries; it was preceded by Welcome to Earth!, The Suicide Blonde and The Sam Hain Mystery.

Past Resident Alien issues received rave reviews:

“A sci-fi murder mystery, Resident Alien: The Suicide Blonde #1 engages its readers with a supporting cast of quirky characters and a weird-looking protagonist. Geared for newcomers, this installment is a quick introduction to the inhabitants of Patience, USA.” -- Jorge Solis, Bloody Disgusting

“Resident Alien first appeared in Dark Horse Presents, and I’m pleased to see it’s getting this shot at a longer run. It’s got tons of potential, and a strong execution.” -- Max Delgado, Unleash the Fanboy

“Artist Steve Parkhouse, like Peter Hogan, is a mainstay in British comics and his particular style balances heavy shading, simple palettes and structured paneling for a story that follows the script’s priorities.” -- Zak Edwards, Comic Book Bin

Resident Alien is a refreshingly original take on the classic whodunit murder mystery formula.” -- Newsarama

I haven't read any of these, but here's a press release for the latest.

RICHARD MATHESON: MASTER OF TERROR GRAPHIC NOVEL COLLECTION

Pubisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writers: TED ADAMS, CHRIS RYALL, STEVE NILES, IAN EDGINTON

Art: MARK TORRES, RAFA GARRES, ELMAN BROWN, SIMON FRASER

Cover: SAM SHEARON

TPB • PC • $49.99 • 572 pages

Four of Richard Matheson’s classic tales of terror are collected in this graphic novel collection: I Am Legend (Steve Niles with Elman Brown), Hell House (Ian Edginton with Simon Frasier), Duel (Chris Ryall with Rara Garres), and The Shrinking Man (Ted Adams with Mark Torres). Matheson’s classics come to vivid life in these inspired comic book adaptations.

Over 500 pages of classic horror adapted from master Richard Matheson!

Matheson wrote some great stuff!

SADISTIC MAGICIAN VOL: JIM MAHFOOD SKETCHBOOK VOL 1 (TPB)

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer/Art/Cover: JIM MAHFOOD

$29.99

Sadistic Magician: Jim Mahfood Sketchbook Vol. 1 collects the best of artist Jim Mahfood's eclectic sketchbook archives from the last five years into one classy volume. Mahfood's sketchbooks serve as an experimental place for the artist to really cut loose and try new things. The end results tend to be even more dynamic, thrilling, and psychedelic than his already super-stylized comics and illustration work. The sketchbook art book offers a unique look at process, trial and error, problem solving and eventual victory over the odds and a glorious celebration of visual mayhem.

The only thing I've liked by Mahfood are the series of "The Fox" miniseries he's doing for Archie, and even there his work seems a little sloppy to me. Just not to my taste, I guess.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

SAMURAI: BROTHERS IN ARMS #1

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: JEAN-FRANÇOIS DI GIORGIO

Art:  FRÉDÉRIC GENÊT

Cover A: FRÉDÉRIC GENÊT

Cover B: DAVID MACK

Cover C:  JOHN MCCREA

Cover D: JUNG SHAN

Cover E: STEVE KURTH

FC • 32pp • $3.99

Having bested the legendary Shobei in a duel, Takeo has finally left the Isle with no Name, accompanied by his brother Akio. The excitement of their voyage from the Island awakens Akio from his mute state, and Takeo is finally ready to discover the answers to the questions that have driven him so far ...

This is a brand-new mini-series full to the brim with warfare and adventure -- set in Feudal Japan! Samurai: Brothers in Arms #1 is a blistering adventure for fans of Shogun Assassin and Kill Bill -- including variant covers by industry legend David Mack (Fight Club 2, Daredevil).

I'm really impressed by this guy's art. I don't even remember the story in the first mini, but I sure remember the art!

SCOOBY APOCALYPSE #5

Written by KEITH GIFFEN and J.M. DeMATTEIS

Based on a concept by JIM LEE

Art and cover by HOWARD PORTER

Variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

32 pg • FC • $3.99 U.S. • RATED T

The world is a monster madhouse, and Scooby and the gang have been fighting for their lives, for every sunrise, for every moment. But they’ve had enough—it’s time to stop reacting and start solving the mystery of who turned all of humanity into mindless hordes of bloodthirsty creatures. A single clue leads the gang and their Mystery Machine to Seattle, on the trail of one of the four scientists who infected the world with nanites. Where to start? Velma has a plan, and watch out, because whenever Velma has a plan, things get very dangerous very fast.

Everybody seems to be enjoying this, so here's a heads up about the latest issue.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

SIDNEY HAMMER VS. WICKED WOLF (ONE-SHOT)

Publisher: AMIGO COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: MASSACRE

Mature $3.99

Sidney Hammer, the scantily-clad, sardonic, grind-house reporter is back! She only wanted a cold beer, but Sidney has found herself looking for a missing girl and being hunted by a big bad werewolf! And this time Sidney doesn't know if the tabloid she's working for will pay for the investigation of this spooky case! Spanish artist Massacre returns with the sassiest hack of all.

OK, those hooters are just ridiculous. I don't think even Ava Gardner's cross-your-heart bras for full-figured gals would help. Seriously, "Massacre," could you tone it down to something vaguely plausible?

SNOW WHITE (GN)

Publisher: CANDLEWICK PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: MATT PHELAN

Award-winning graphic novelist Matt Phelan delivers a darkly stylized noir Snow White set against the backdrop of Depression-era Manhattan. Enter a cast of familiar characters: a young girl, Samantha White, returning after being sent away by her cruel stepmother, the Queen of the Follies, years earlier; her father, the King of Wall Street, who survives the stock market crash only to suffer a strange and sudden death; seven street urchins, brave protectors for a girl as pure as snow; and a mysterious stock ticker that holds the stepmother in its thrall, churning out ticker tape imprinted with the wicked words "Another ... More Beautiful ... KILL." In a moody, cinematic new telling of a beloved fairy tale, Phelan captures the essence of classic film noir on the page -- and draws a striking distinction between good and evil.

At least there are no dwarves. The Snow White in Fables realllllly didn't like dwarves.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

THE STRAIN: MISTER QUINLAN -- VAMPIRE HUNTER #1 (of 5)

Writer: DAVID LAPHAM

Penciller: EDGAR SALAZAR

Inker: KEITH CHAMPAGNE

Colorist: DAN JACKSON

Cover Artist: JUAN FERREYRA

FC • 32 pages • Miniseries • $3.99

The origin of Mr. Quinlan!

This fall Dark Horse Comics invites you to go back to the beginnings of a popular character with The Strain: Mister Quinlan-- Vampire Hunter!

Renowned comics creator David Lapham (Stray Bullets, Silverfish) and artist Edgar Salazar (Smallville: Alien, Deathstroke) join forces to tell a brand-new tale about the origins of a fan-favorite character: Mr. Quinlan.

A vampiric abomination seeks to destroy the monster that sired him. Born as a mistake of a powerful vampire known as the Master and raised in the brutal gladiatorial arenas of ancient Rome, Mr. Quinlan must survive long enough to carry out his mission when his target begins hunting him.

For five years, acclaimed filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and novelist Chuck Hogan have published their New York Times best-selling series of novels, the Strain Trilogy, with Dark Horse Comics producing six volumes of graphic novel adaptations. The Strain has also seen a very successful television series on FX now entering its third season premiering in August.

With a stunning cover by Juan Ferreyra and a 30th anniversary variant cover by Paolo Rivera, The Strain: Mister Quinlan -- Vampire Hunter is a series fans won’t want to miss!

• Go back to the beginnings of a popular character from The Strain.

• Watch The Strain on FX!

I read this and was unimpressed. The story was all right, I suppose, but the art was so tame that it really killed the excitement. And this is a book that presents a lot of opportunities to pull out the stops on terrifying the audience. Instead, it was bland.

FIRST ISSUE ALERT

THE FOREVERS #1

Publisher: BLACK MASK COMICS

Writer: CURT PIRES

Art: ERIC PFEIFFER

Cover: RAMON VILLALOBOS, ERIC PFEIFFER

$3.99

Live fast. Live forever. Five friends struggling on the brink of stardom sacrifice everything in a black magic pact that brings them all the wealth and glamour they ever wanted. Years later though, the "glow" is fading. But when one of them dies, and they feel a surge of magic rise amongst them, they soon realize that they all share in the power of the glow. And when a member of the group decides to kill the rest and claim the glow for their own, they suddenly find themselves fighting for their lives. As they search for the killer's identity, each of The Forevers must face the macabre reality of the lengths to which some people will go to be adored, and to make certain that the spotlight never fades ...

This seems to be the week obscure publishers have chosen to launch first issues.

WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #11

Publisher: Valiant Comics

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by ROBERT GILL

Cover A by KANO

Cover B by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

Cover C by ROBERT GILL

Variant Cover by THONY SILAS

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On Sale SEPTEMBER 14

ALL-NEW ARC! ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT! Valiant’s immortal master of war makes A DEAL WITH A DEVIL!

Gilad Anni-Padda, the Eternal Warrior, has sacrificed his humanity for the betterment of the Earth. Empowered with the gift to recover from any wound – and even death itself – he has waged an endless crusade to guide the path of civilization through the ages. But as the centuries pass and his list of battlefield victories grows, he is fated to always reap the same sad reward: to see his families, his children, and all his loved ones … age, wither and die …

Now, the Eternal Warrior will be presented with a choice that could end his grief forever. An opportunity to resurrect the fallen sons and daughters that he believed forever lost. But this chance for peace and happiness will come at a terrible cost … and in service to an evil far greater than any Gilad has faced before …

New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps) and acclaimed artist Robert Gill (BOOK OF DEATH) push the Eternal Warrior to the fiery crossroads of guilt and redemption for a wicked new jumping-on point as A DEAL WITH A DEVIL takes hold!

Still enjoying this series, and we have a press release AND a preview!

Click here for DC REBIRTH and CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN Titles.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Alas this is so true of so many 'hot' new titles I pick up and try these days.

__________ is always more appealing to me in theory than in practice. I think the character's concept is awesome, but when I actually read her book, I find it kinda juvenile and disappointing.

• RICHARD MATHESON: MASTER OF TERROR GRAPHIC NOVEL COLLECTION

Dunno why this is here -- it's prose with, I assume, a few illustrations. But Matheson wrote some great stuff!

The description in the press release, on IDW's site and on Amazon refer to this as a graphic novel and a comic book adaptation. If it's prose with a few illustrations that seems like false advertising.

• Regarding the Third Doctor: He was played Jon Pertwee, for roughly the first half of the 1970's. He was the first Doctor I saw and, while I liked the show, I wasn't overwhelmed by it. While the UNIT Era is beloved by many, I had the same problem with it then as I do now. The lead character had a time machine but was stuck on Twentieth Century Earth! Also, for a couple of years, the heel in almost every story was the Master, which got old real fast. It was the subsequent combination of Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen that made me a lifelong fan of the show. As for the comic: In my opinion, no one ever wrote the show worse than Paul Cornell did, not even Eric Saward, so I'll pass.
  • MARVEL COVERS: That IDW volume of Modern Marvel Covers is the same book with two different covers. Sam Keith and Todd McFarlane are only two of many artists whose work is represented.

DOOM PARTROL: Reading comic books, for me, is in one way similar to listening to music. I can listen to music recorded by teenagers (the Beach Boys, for ex ample), as long as they were teenagers long before I was one. But what can today’s crop of teenage singers teach me about life, the human condition? (for the record, I have made exceptions from time to time: Harry Connick, Jr., Johnny Lang, etc.)

Similarly, I can read comics books written by teenagers (Jim Shooter, Gerry Conway), as long as they were teenagers long before I was. I’ve read some articles and pre-publication publicity about DC’s new “Young Animal” line and have come to the conclusion its written by and for kids. The photograph of the guy who writes the Doom Patrol and the way he presents himself make him look and sound like a teenager. To be fair, he’s probably in his 20s (That old!?), but this is a guy who grew up reading Grant Morrison’s DP.

Welcome to the Cranky Old Men Club. Now get off my lawn!

• Jeff: I hadn't really thought about it in those terms, but I guess the teenager-before-I-was-a-teenager thing applies to me, or at least in terms of what I read. It's possibly because youngsters writing about being young before we were that age were dealing with different social changes and, essentially, a different culture, so it was informative/educational. But you're certainly right that I find the work of teens and twentysomethings now that I'm in my 50s to be largely boring and a tad arrogant. I'm in the same culture and dealing with the same social changes they are, but I'm bringing to bear a lifetime of experience, plus an entirely different (read: adult) perspective. There's not much that they can teach me, and I'm irritated when they try.

If this adds anything to the analysis, I remember exactly when I stopped read Archie Comics: When I hit high school. My own high school experiences were a lot more interesting to me than Archie's, not only because they were real, but because they were happening to me. I was no longer interested in fanciful high school stories that were not only preposterous, but didn't teach me anything I could use.

Or maybe I'm just a charter member of the Cranky Old Men Club.

Oh, and thanks for the Marvel Covers tip. That explains why some of the information I was reading didn't make sense to me! Like with the Matheson book (thanks, Richard), I misunderstood what I was looking at because I was just skimming and not reading. Mea culpa.

• Thanks for the heads up on Black Monday Murders and Briggs Land. The first issues got by me somehow so I'll have to grab those as well.

Gerard Way is actually closing in on 40 years old, believe it or not. I'm not a fan of his music but I do think he's probably drawing inspiration from Morrison's Doom Patrol so I'll probably give it a look.

• "Gerard Way is actually closing in on 40 years old, believe it or not."

No way! (That must be an old picture DC is using in the Young Animal promo.)

• Oh, nice, a new Resident Alien series! I love this title. 

• I feel very much the same about Briggs Land after having read the first issue. I think I'd love it as a TV series (which it's already being developed as), because I loved Fargo season 2 and actors have a lot more space to humanize despicable characters than one issue of an ongoing comic. I'll definitely give the show a try. But with so many great comics coming out (including Wood's own more interesting Black Road), I'm going to pass on future issues of this for a while. Maybe I'll snap it up in TPB.

• I think rock stars (and other people with personal stylists) age differently than the rest of us.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Gerard Way is actually closing in on 40 years old, believe it or not."

No way! (That must be an old picture DC is using in the Young Animal promo.)

This reply was deleted.