BATMAN & SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERIES #9

BATMAN: BEYOND THE WHITE KNIGHT HC

BATMAN INCORPORATED #9

DARK CRISIS: YOUNG JUSTICE HC

DC PRIDE THROUGH THE YEARS HC

DEAD BOY DETECTIVES BY TOBY LITT & MARK BUCKINGHAM TP

GREEN LANTERN #2

MAD MAGAZINE #32

MULTIVERSITY: HARLEY SCREWS UP THE DCU #4 (OF 6)

SANDMAN UNIVERSE: NIGHTMARE COUNTRY -- THE GLASS HOUSE #3 (OF 6)

SPIRIT WORLD #2 (OF 6)

STATIC TEAM-UP: ANANSI #1 ONE-SHOT

11255125897?profile=RESIZE_710x11255136275?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Evan Narcisse | Art: Charles Stewart III | Cover:  Nikolas Draper-Ivey | $3.99

In a story set before the events of Static: Shadows of Dakota, the Static Shock animated series fan-favorite African superhero Anansi pays a visit to Dakota City, investigating a supernatural disturbance...but he's going to need Static's help to explore the occult side of the Milestone Universe!

• Milestone alert!
  • Why would an African trickster god NOT be a cool character?

11644937671?profile=RESIZE_710x11644946285?profile=RESIZE_710x11644951693?profile=RESIZE_710x11644960457?profile=RESIZE_710x11644964881?profile=RESIZE_710x11644969265?profile=RESIZE_710x

SUPERMAN: CAMELOT FALLS DELUXE EDITION HC

SUPERMAN: LOST #4 (OF 10)

TEEN TITANS ACADEMY VOL. 2: EXIT WOUNDS TP

WALLER VS. WILDSTORM #2 (OF 4)

WILDCATS #8

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

BETTIE PAGE (VOL. 5) #1

11107174874?profile=RESIZE_710xWriter: Mirka Andolfo & Luca Blengino | Art: Elisa Ferrari | Covers: Joseph Michael Linsner, Junggeun Yoon, Rebeca Puebla, Mirka Andolfo, Lesley "Leirix" Li, Photo, Cosplay (Rachel Hollon) | Teen+ | $3.99

It's la dolce vita for Bettie! Beautiful Bettie has been cast as the lead of a film shooting in Rome, but before she can experience the sights and sounds of Italy, shady-looking thugs try to kidnap her! Why? Well, Bettie happens to be the spitting image of another woman ... a woman who's in BIG trouble with trouble-making types! Can Bettie negotiate her way through a madcap adventure of mistaken identity and star-crossed love, Italian-style?

There are few creators who always make such a big splash as Mirka Andolfo. The Italian superstar (Sweet Paprika, Unnatural, Harley Quinn) is taking on the one and only BETTIE PAGE! It's a perfect match between creator and character, as Mirka's flirty style and energy fits the Dark Angel so well. Andolfo is taking the pinup legend — and in Dynamite comics the superspy —- globetrotting to her native Italy, for an unforgettable adventure! 

Mirka Andolfo interview

Mirka, you are beloved for your flirty, romantic and sensual characters and stories. One of the titans of that kind of style was of course Bettie Page herself. Has she and the pinup art and style that she pioneered significantly influenced your own artistic style and evolution?

I must admit that she had no influence on me, at the beginning. Of course, everyone knows who Bettie Page was, her importance and the fact that as a pinup she became one of the first great icons. But I “discovered” the character quite late, and I must say that she is certainly very interesting, and somewhat close to the aesthetic ideal of representing the human body and femininity.

In preparing for this series, I imagine you and the team also learned more about Bettie, the woman outside of the photos and pinup art, as well — how she went through life, faced challenges, and so on. What has been your takeaway from her as a person, and how is that informing how you write her as a character in your own story?

The work I did together with Luca Blengino was thorough and very, very interesting. Delving deeper into the character allowed us to try to create more knowledgeably “our own” version. But I have to admit that the most useful part, from a narrative point of view, was the deepening of what had already been done at the comic book level, with the character. I hope that our vision will be interesting, respectful of the original, but at the same time new and intense.

For this series, you're taking Bettie to your own home of Italy. What makes your native land such a great fit for Bettie, her aesthetics, and her escapades?

The choice seemed natural and inescapable: the story of "our" Bettie had to be set in our nation. The idea of taking a setting in the style of Roman Holiday. Of course, the first thought is of iconic scenes (who said “Marcello, come here?”), riding on a Vespa. … Often, Italy in stories is closer to what people abroad think of the country than what it really is. Our goal is to tell an intense story with an intense character and an intense but realistic setting.

You are working alongside artist Elisa Ferrari on this title. How did she come into the picture for this, what is your take on her style and the way she is capturing Bettie, and how has the collaboration been going so far?

Elisa is, first of all, an incredibly talented artist and a friend. We had wanted to work together on something for quite some time, and when we (the editor and I) started talking about this project, I immediately thought of her. Elisa has a style both intense and sexy, with a pinch of cartoonish approach, which I always love in a comic. Working with her, for both Luca and me, has been incredibly easy, and I can't wait to show you the result!

• Only a few of these covers actually look  like Bettie Page.

11107175087?profile=RESIZE_710x11107175094?profile=RESIZE_710x11107175100?profile=RESIZE_710x11107175275?profile=RESIZE_710x11107175283?profile=RESIZE_710x11107175297?profile=RESIZE_710x11107175856?profile=RESIZE_710x11107175673?profile=RESIZE_710x11107175679?profile=RESIZE_710x11107175485?profile=RESIZE_710x

IMAGE COMICS

BATTLE CHASERS #10

11130059052?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Joe Madureira | Covers: Ludo Lullabi, Joe Madureira, J. Scott Campbell, Humberto Ramos, Chris Bachalo, Skottie Young, Mirka Andolfo  | 36 pages | $3.99

Joe Madureira's beloved fantasy series returns in an action-packed new story with interior art by game-and-comics sensation Ludo Lullabi and variant covers by some of the hottest names in comics.

Battle Chasers #10 tells the bloody tale of retired swordsman Garrison and the fugitive Red Monika as they face off against Maestro's gang of supernatural killers — the Martial Paladins! 

The Battle Chasers Anthology trade paperback saw an unheard of sales spike upon its release in 2019 and has gone back to print multiple times in order to keep up with feverish enthusiasm for the series. Now Image will bring this popular series back to readers and continue the story in this new story arc.

"I've been really moved over the years by the level of excitement Battle Chasers still generates decades after its original release," said Madureira in an exclusive on the announcement with io9/Gizmodo. "With the success of the Battle Chasers game 'Nightwar' and a TV show in the works, it felt like the perfect time to drop some new books. Working with these characters again has healed some part of my soul, and Ludo's artwork is so incredible, I can't wait for readers to get their hands on it."

• Looks what's back! 
  • Battle Chasers #9 came out in 2001. I'd like to say 12 years between issues of a "monthly" title is a record, but it's probably not.
  • Here's a preview.

11130059059?profile=RESIZE_710x11130058695?profile=RESIZE_710x11130059254?profile=RESIZE_710x11130059266?profile=RESIZE_710x11130058876?profile=RESIZE_710x11130059099?profile=RESIZE_710x

10994061472?profile=RESIZE_710x

COPRA VOL 7 TP

GIANT KOKJU #3 (OF 3)

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #21

HAUNT YOU TO THE END #1 (OF 5)

11004091280?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Ryan Cady | Artist/Cover A: Andrea Mutti | Letterer: Frank Cvetkovic | Cover B: Maika Sozo | 32 pages | Teen | $3.99

A GHOST STORY FOR THE END OF THE WORLD! In a not-so-far future rife with climate disasters and worldwide instability, an eccentric billionaire and his crew—a disgraced journalist, a radical doctor, a TV demonologist, and a squad of hard-bitten military contractors — set out to prove the existence of life after death. But even if their mission is a success, the truth behind the “most haunted place on earth” may not be the comforting revelation the world is hoping for.

Top Cow Productions, Inc., the company behind The Darkness and Cyberforce, reunites Infinite Dark team Ryan Cady (Batman: Urban Legends, Green Lantern) and Andrea Mutti (Batman Eternal, Port of Earth) to develop a new sci-fi, horror series.

“This five-issue journey will intrigue even the greatest paranormal skeptics like myself,” said Matt Hawkins, Top Cow President.

Cady added: "Andrea Mutti and I have been dying to work together again for a few years now, and when this idea popped into my head, everything was already in his style: moody, washed out watercolors and appropriately dreary scenes of doom and gloom."

With the series set in the last days of the most haunted place on earth ravaged by a climate apocalypse, Mutti said: “I knew immediately that I wanted to contrast the warm and cold colors on the same page to reflect Ryan’s dynamic world. There is action, suspense, horror and evocative and extremely visual and powerful environments and characters!"

Within this The Day After Tomorrow meets The Haunting of Hill House-esque world that Cady and Mutti created, readers will go on an expedition with a motley crew of characters — from a tech billionaire, a Catholic priest, a Sarah Connor-like military contractor-turned-explorer, uniformed military contractors and one washed up journalist — to prove that there is life after death. But together, the reader will discover with the characters that there are deeper horrors.

“If you enjoyed our collision of science fiction and supernatural chills in Infinite Dark, I think you'll really dig what we're up to here. There's plenty of characters to love—and some you'll love-to-hate—going on this eccentric ghost-hunting expedition; I really hope some of them survive, but you'll have to pick up the book to find out!"

• Here's another interesting #1 from Image. Image has really come a long way from its Marvel-swiping days, and has carved out a unique place in the comics landscape.
  • Here's a preview

IMMORTAL SERGEANT #6 (OF 9)

KLIK KLIK BOOM #1 (OF 5)

10998917490?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Doug Wagner | Art/Cover: Douglas Dabbs, Matt Wilson | Mature | $3.99

Fan-favorite writer Doug Wagner (Plastic, The Ride: Burning Desire) and artist Doug Dabbs (The Ride: Burning Desire) team up with Eisner award winning colorist Matt Wilson and letterer Ed Dukeshire for the forthcoming revenge comic, Klik Klik Boom

"I can’t wait for everyone to see the insanity Doug, Matt, Ed and I cooked up for this book. When this was all starting to stew, I told Doug Dabbs the muses were speaking to me about mixing movies like Fargo and The Fifth Element with the artistic inspirations of Robert Valley and Bengal," said Wagner. "I wanted to try to find this balance between the old and the new, between neon cyberpunk and crime noir, and wrap all of that in a modern day action tour de force tortilla. The team didn’t let me down."

In Klik Klik Boom, readers meet Sprout, a mute assassin who communicates exclusively through polaroid pictures. After being raised by her doomsday-prepping grandfather in the rolling hills of Idaho, Sprout has grown up with little exposure to other people, TV, or seen clothes outside of Army fatigues. Now she’s headed to the big lights of New York City to avenge her grandfather’s murder, but will the city’s mesmerizing glitz and glam help her succeed — or be the death of her?

Dabbs added: "I knew after working with Doug on The Ride: Burning Desire that there was a creative chemistry that had to be explored more. With Klik Klik Boom, Doug blew me away with his scripts and we ended up creating a story that’s so different, unexpected, and fun. Working with Matt and Ed was surreal, as they brought their god-level talents to the story. Our main character, Sprout, is a someone people haven’t seen before in any media. I can’t wait for people to meet her and see what we created!"

MONARCH #5

NIGHT FEVER HC

10889758857?profile=RESIZE_710x10961479463?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Ed Brubaker | Art/Covers: Sean Phillips | Colors: Jacob Phillips | $29.99

Multiple Eisner Award winning grand masters Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips — of Reckless, Pulp, Criminal and Kill or Be Killed fame — with colors by Jacob Phillps (That Texas Blood), will bring fans another sure-fire hit in the upcoming, Night Fever.

Night Fever is a pulse-pounding noir thriller featuring the Jekyll-and-Hyde story of a man facing the darkness inside himself. This riveting tour-of-the-night is a must-have for all Brubaker and Phillips readers.

"Night Fever is a story that's been scratching at the back of my skull for a long time now and man, is this a weird one," said Brubaker. "Inspired partly by old Black Lizard noir novels and weird and sexy European comics from the '70s, this book is a dark trip into what being alive right now feels like, but hopefully a thrilling one for our readers, too. I know it's the best art of Sean's entire career, which feels almost unbelievable. But it's true."

In Europe on a business trip, Jonathan Webb can't sleep. Instead, he finds himself wandering the night in a strange foreign city, with his new friend, the mysterious and violent Rainer as his guide. Rainer shows Jonathan the hidden world of the night, a world without rules or limits. But when the fun turns dangerous, Jonathan may find himself trapped in the dark. ... And the question is, what will he do to get home?

"One of my great pleasures over the last decade has been watching Ed and Sean produce story after amazing story — from Fatale in January 2012 right up to last month's Reckless graphic novel, Follow Me Down — so what better way to start kick off the next 10 years than with yet another astonishing entry into their illustrious canon with Night Fever," said Eric Stephenson, Publisher at Image Comics. "If you've enjoyed Ed and Sean's previous collaborations, as well as Ed's work with Steve Epting on Velvet and Marcos Martín on Friday — trust me, you are in for a treat."

• How does Sean Philips churn out so much great artwork so fast? I haven't even read the last Brubaker/Philips GN yet, and he's already drawn another!
  • Here's a preview.

OLD DOG #5

SOMETHING EPIC #2

VOID RIVALS #1  

11128024283?profile=RESIZE_710x11128024101?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Robert Kirkman | Art: Matheus Lopes | Art/Cover: Lorenzo De Felici | Covers: Lorenzo De Felici, Ethan Young, Matteo Scalera, Karen S. Darboe, Jim Cheung & Jay David Ramos, Daniel Warren Johnson | $3.99

In Void Rivals, war rages around the Sacred Ring, where the last remnants of two worlds have collapsed around a black hole in a never-ending war. However, when pilot Darak and his rival Solila both crash on a desolate planet, these two enemies must find a way to escape together. But are they alone on this strange planet? And what dark forces await that threaten the entire universe?  

“With every project I do, I’m always trying to challenge myself. One thing I’ve always loved doing is starting small with a story and expanding the depth, scope and stakes as we progress,” said Robert Kirkman. “With Void Rivals we’ll be going bigger than I ever have and at a much faster pace. This project is going to be monumental. I can’t wait for people to see what Lorenzo and I have cooking.” 

"Robert and a sci-fi shipwreck? Quick, feed me popcorn cause my hands are busy drawing!” added Lorenzo De Felici. 

“Void Rivals might just be the most ambitious new series we’ve ever launched in Skybound history,” said Sean Mackiewicz, SVP and Publisher, Skybound Entertainment. “Robert, Lorenzo, and Matheus are pulling out all the stops to deliver the biggest sci-fi action in comics today. While Invincible captured an entire superhero universe in one comic, Void Rivals aims far beyond that – and we’re excited for fans to discover the surprises that we have in store!” 

11128025468?profile=RESIZE_710x11128025669?profile=RESIZE_710x 11128024699?profile=RESIZE_710x

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #121 FACSIMILE EDITION

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #27

BLACK PANTHER #1

11107176875?profile=RESIZE_710x11107178294?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Eve L. Ewing | Art: Chris Allen | Inks: Chris Allen & Craig Yeung | Colors: Jesus Aburtov | Covers: Taurin Clarke, Elena Casagrande & Jordie Bellaire, Rahzzah, Skottie Young, Steve Rude & Chris O’halloran, Sanford Greene, Mateus Manhanini, Chris Allen, Mr Garcin, Chris Allen & Guru-Efx | Teen+ | $4.99

A new reign has begun! Following John Ridley’s acclaimed run of BLACK PANTHER, award-winning author Eve L. Ewing (Ironheart, Monica Rambeau: Photon) and Marvel Stormbreaker artist Chris Allen (Miles Morales: Spider-Man) will launch a brand-new BLACK PANTHER ongoing comic series.

The new saga will see Black Panther serve Wakanda in a bold new way after he’s exiled from the throne. A king without a crown and a fugitive in his own homelands, T’Challa journeys deeper into Wakanda than ever before as he finds new purpose striking from the shadows of the Wakandan city that bears his father's name, Birnin T’Chaka. Operating as an undercover vigilante, Black Panther vows to remain the Wakandan people’s sworn protector by defending this broken city from danger. But as he tries to understand the heart of this city that feels it has been forgotten by the Black Panther, he’ll discover it has challenges unlike any he’s faced before, including powerful crime families and corruption that go against all that Wakanda stands for.

Fans can get their first taste of this daring new direction in the all-new BLACK PANTHER #1 trailer, featuring never-before-seen artwork. The thrilling trailer takes fans to the streets of Birnin T’Chaka for the very first time! The city pulses with both beauty and danger as Black Panther leaps into action against the forces of its criminal underworld, including a new adversary, Beisa! This alluring thief is more than willing to teach T’Challa the ways of her city and fans can catch her harsh first lesson right in the debut issue!

The trailer also spotlights Black Panther’s stunning new costume design by series artist Chris Allen.

"I am so excited for people to see this character design! T'Challa is going to be looking really different. It's much more edgy and kind of homespun. It's not so sleek and slick. Not giving too much away from the story, he's trying not to be seen. He's kind of working incognito," Ewing said during an appearance on The TODAY Show. "What I can say, honestly, is that we will be seeing Wakanda in a way that we have not seen it ever before."

• So is T'Challa on the outs with Wakanda to mirror the movies, where he's also not king any more?  
  • Here's a preview.
  • Here's a trailer.

11107176493?profile=RESIZE_710x11107177254?profile=RESIZE_710x11107176895?profile=RESIZE_710x11107177655?profile=RESIZE_710x11107177698?profile=RESIZE_710x11107177881?profile=RESIZE_710x11107178279?profile=RESIZE_710x11107177070?profile=RESIZE_710x10994037859?profile=RESIZE_710x

BLACK PANTHER BY JOHN RIDLEY VOL 3: ALL THIS AND THE WORLD TOO TP

CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR OMEGA #1

10993972099?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing & Tochi Onyebuchi | Art: Carlos Magno | Cover: Patrick Gleason | Teen+ | $4.99

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR OMEGA #1, all three CAPTAIN AMERICA scribes team up with superstar artist Carlos Magno for the pulse-pounding COLD WAR finale! White Wolf has unleashed an army of Dimension Z monsters upon our world as a declaration of global war, and Team Cap’s only hope to stop it is to take him down for good. Meanwhile, Bucky Barnes deploys his final chess piece — Ian Rogers himself — to turn the situation in his favor. Lifelong friends battle alongside mortal enemies — and change the trajectory of their lives — in this stunning conclusion!

• I realized in the '70s that the Captain America title rises or falls on the supporting cast. (I don't think writer Mark Gruenwald agreed, which is why I didn't much care for his run on the title.) Since Cap is a soldier/espionage character — and one without flashy super-powers — he works best when enmeshed in military/intelligence organizations and scenarios (or, you know, the Avengers, where he can show off his strategic, tactical and leadership strengths). So I'm not sure pushing Winter Soldier off the "team" is a good idea. It wasn't a good idea when they did it with Sharon a couple of times, but fortunately those seem to have been forgotten. Steve can and should have friction with Sharon, Sam, Natasha, Maria Hill, Nick Fury, Bucky, etc., but they need to be part of the ensemble. Maybe, like with Sharon, Bucky's estrangement will be temporary.
  • "Cold War" Finale.
  • Here's a preview.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #50

11002221684?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Kelly Thompson | Art: Javier Pina & David Lopez | Cover: Carmen Carnero | Teen+ | $4.99

This June marks the end of an era for Carol Danvers! Writer Kelly Thompson will wrap up her extraordinary run on the character in CAPTAIN MARVEL #50, a double-sized issue featuring art by Javier Pina and David Lopez. As one of the longest-running writers on the character ever, Thompson’s run will go down in Marvel Comics history: 50 issues of thrilling adventure, uplifting character-defining breakthroughs, and awesome powerhouse feats that are destined to inspire generation after generation of readers! From incredible story arcs like the revolutionary “Re-Entry” and Carol’s dark turn in “The Last Avenger” to pivotal tie-ins to some of Marvel’s biggest events like War of the Realms and Empyre, CAPTAIN MARVEL has been a Marvel must-read since the very start. Along the way, the title has garnered new lifelong Carol Danvers fans and delighted the character’s devoted fanbase. True Believers won’t want to miss Thompson’s epic farewell that celebrates this incredible achievement!

It has been an impossible journey — one that’s taken Carol Danvers across time and space and pitted her against enemies new and old. This historic run has put Marvel’s premier heroine through the gauntlet, and now the boss of space burns brighter than ever. No one believed she would get this far. But that’s the power of Captain Marvel and her Carol Corps: They will never give up. Higher, further, faster — to the very end.

"When Marvel asked me to write Carol's new Captain Marvel series back in 2018, in the lead up to her first film, I was delighted and also terrified. But I'm glad I didn't let the terror win, because it has truly been a fantastic experience,” Thompson shared. “I've worked with some of the most incredible people in the business — I'd list them all but at 50 issues it's a truly massive list! -- but I certainly have to call out editor Sarah Brunstad who brought me in and helped build this book from the very beginning. She has been a constant source of support through a run that I don't think either of us ever imagined would be nearly five years deep and heading toward issue 50. While it hasn't always been easy, I'm so proud of the stories we've told with Carol, but none of it would have been possible without the fans. Captain Marvel fans are some of the best comic fans — and humans — I've ever experienced, truly. So thank you for this run. We made it, but you all made it so loved, and so long. Thank you.”

CARNAGE #14

11466011074?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Alex Paknadel | Art: Francesco Manna | Cover: Kendrick Lim | Teen+ | $3.99

As Cletus Kasady's hunger has grown, so has his ambition. With a certain wall-crawling hero dead in his wake.

• Here's a preview.
  • “Carnage Reigns” Part 5.

CLOBBERIN' TIME #4

COSMIC GHOST RIDER #4

DOCTOR STRANGE #4

11107192655?profile=RESIZE_710x10999220297?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Jed Mackay | Art: Sean Macdonald | Covers: Alex Ross, Derrick Chew | Teen+ | $3.99

Doctor Strange and Clea are together again in the pages of Jed MacKay and Pasqual Ferry’s new run of DOCTOR STRANGE!

Longtime lovers, the pair make a formidable supernatural duo, but something even more powerful is beating them to the punch, eliminating Strange’s deadliest magical foes before they do. In their quest to solve this magical mystery, the answers they discover will shock them and readers alike! Using all the mystical might at her disposal, Clea unleashes her greatest spells in Derrick Chew’s new cover for DOCTOR STRANGE #4, but will it be enough for what’s to come?

Featuring art by guest artist Andy MacDonald, DOCTOR STRANGE #4 will spotlight Wong who has his own plan for dealing with this emerging magical threat: re-forming S.H.I.E.L.D.’s covert mystical organization, W.A.N.D.!

• Agent of W.A.N.D.? Go, Wong!
  • Here's a preview.

EXTREME VENOMVERSE #3 (OF 5)

10998731288?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Taran Killam, Various | Art: Rod Reis, Various | Cover: Leinil Yu | Teen+ | $4.99

Face front, Venomaniacs! EVEN MORE vicious and violent Venoms enter the fray! FIRST! TARAN KILLAM and ROD REIS unite to pay a visit to the Old West and introduce you readers out there in Mighty Marveldom to an all-new Madame Venom — a femme fatale who'll leave even the roughest and toughest outlaws shaking in their boots! THEN! Your new favorite comic book writer, Jed MacKay, and Marvel newcomer Danny Earls, unite to tell a tale as old as time — literally! Together, they'll introduce a brand new, prehistoric and primal vision of Venom! AND! What? You thought we forgot VENOM SPACEKNIGHT?! WE WOULD NEVER! But if he's your favorite Venom ever, you better keep your fingers crossed - because not every Venom is making it out of this saga alive. PLUS! Another round of DAILY BUGLE funnies from comics legend Ty Templeton — this time with a symbiotic spin!

• “Summer of Symbiotes” tie-in.
  • Here's a preview.

LOKI GOD OF STORIES OMNIBUS HC

11466775296?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Robert Rodi, Various | Art: Esad Ribic, Various | Cover: Ozgur Yildirim | Parental Advisory | $125.00

God of mischief, lies ... and stories! Loki, adopted brother of Thor, is constantly reinventing himself — and this volumes shows the 21st-century trickster in all his glorious forms! Whether he's thirsting for power, scheming to claim Asgard's throne or acting as its devious agent — and greatest hope for survival — you just can't take your eyes off Loki! As a one-man secret service, Loki Laufeyson is ready to lie, cheat and steal his way through treacherous missions — including a heart-stopping heist at Avengers Tower and locking horns with Doctor Doom! But will the American people vote Loki for president? And when death claims him in the War of the Realms, what will be his next trick? Collecting LOKI (2004) #1-4, LOKI (2010) #1-4, LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD #1-17, ORIGINAL SIN #5.1-5.5, VOTE LOKI #1-4, LOKI (2019) #1-5, AVENGERS: LOKI UNLEASHED, and material from ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! POINT ONE and WAR OF THE REALMS: OMEGA.

• There's actually quite a few of these I haven't read, so I'll probably get this one. I think I left off when Loki was Kid Loki, and I know there have been several series since. And he's a TV star now!

MARVEL'S VOICES: PRIDE #1

11002222471?profile=RESIZE_710x11002222101?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Steve Foxe, Stephanie Williams, Sarah Gailey, Shadi Petosky, H.E. Edgmon, Marieke Nijkamp, Katherine Locke & Stephen Byrne | Art: Rosi Kämpe, Héctor Barros, Bailie Rosenlund, Roberta Ingranata, Lorenzo Susi, Pablo Collar, Joanna Estep & Stephen Byrne | Cover: Amy Reeder | Variants: P. Craig Russell & Lovern Kindzierski, Phil Jimenez, Jan Bazaldua & Tamra Bonvillain | $9.99

MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE #1, the annual one-shot that celebrates LGBTQIA+ characters and creators, returns this June with more impact than ever!

The groundbreaking anthology will continue its tradition of bringing the spirit of Pride Month to your local comic shop with a dazzling and diverse collection of tales, all brought together by an incredible lineup of new and established talent. Now in its third year, MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE #1 will proudly spotlight characters from all walks of life and identities in stories ranging from heartfelt to action-packed. In addition to favorites like Black Cat, Hulkling, and Wiccan, this year’s one-shot will up the ante with a multitude of exciting character debuts and lead-in stories to upcoming titles! The 2021 and 2022 MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE introductions of Somnus and Escapade sent shockwaves through the Marvel Universe before appearing in titles like Marauders and New Mutants. You won’t want to miss who’s next! Fans from every arc of the rainbow and True Believers everywhere are invited to see the future of Marvel Comics in 2023’s MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE #1!

Here’s what’s in store:

• Writer Steve Foxe and artist Rosi Kämpe bring Gimmick, the breakout character from 2020’s Children of the Atom, to the forefront along with more fan-favorite X-Men students for a prelude story to DARK X-MEN, a new series launching during FALL OF X!
  • An all-new hero takes on the classic mantle of “Nightshade” to protect her Chicago community in a rousing story by writer Stephanie Williams and artist Héctor Barros. Fans can see her for the first time on superstar artist Phil Jimenez’s MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE #1 variant cover!
  • Join Felicia Hardy at New Orleans Pride where a score for untold riches pits her against the Thieves Guild in a story by writer Sarah Gailey and artist Bailie Rosenlund.
  • Emmy-winning TV writer Shadi Petosky (The Sandman) pens her first Marvel Comics story alongside artist Roberta Ingranata! Wiccan and Hulkling are on a much-needed getaway when the beloved couple finds themselves stranded. Luckily, they befriend an all-new super hero who lends a helping hand! Meet Lacie Lorraine and learn about her fascinating origins in a riveting journey across space and time.
  • The Spider-Verse’s most fabulous super hero is back to slay another day in an all-new Web-Weaver adventure by writer Katherine Locke and artist Joanna Estepand.
  • Author H.E. Edgmon (THE WITCH KING) and artist Lorenzo Susi introduces a wild new symbiote character: MUZZLE! See Spidey learn the hard way that this is one symbiote baddie you don’t want to mess with when he has a run-in with Muzzle and his crew of vigilantes!
  • Jumbo Carnation shows off his latest fashions in a story written and drawn by Stephen Byrne!
  • Writer Marieke Nijkamp and artist Pablo Collar smash the fourth wall with a romance story starring Gwenpool!
  • Plus, an introduction by Star Trek: Discovery actress Mary Chieffo, interviews, and more!

In addition, PRIDE VARIANT COVERS will return, featuring both Marvel heroes and characters from a galaxy far, far away! Fans can check out some of this year’s STAR WARS PRIDE VARIANT COVERS right now at StarWars.com and stay tuned later today for the reveal of this year’s MARVEL PRIDE VARIANT COVERS.

11037673474?profile=RESIZE_710x

11037671263?profile=RESIZE_710x

11037671474?profile=RESIZE_710x

MOON KNIGHT #24

MURDERWORLD TP

PLANET OF THE APES #3

ROGUE AND GAMBIT #4 (OF 5)

SON OF ORIGINS: MARVEL TALES #1

• This collects the first Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor stories, from, respectively, Daredevil #1, Strange Tales #110-111, Incredible Hulk #1, Tales of Suspense #39 and Journey into Mystery #83.

SPIDER-GWEN: SHADOW CLONES #4 (OF 5)

SPIDER-MAN INDIA #1 (OF 4)

11467030677?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Shukla, Nikesh | Art: Malsuni, Abhishek | Cover: Adam Kubert | Teen | $3.99

SPIDER-MAN: INDIA RETURNS!

Just in time for his big role on the silver screen, Spider-Man: India returns for his first miniseries in almost twenty years! Pavitr Prabhakar is back, fresh from "The End of the Spider-Verse" in in his own universe's Mumbai. But things aren't exactly simple. There's a science professor promising results, activating people's "lizard brain" along with a ruthless businessman who may be more than he seems? Don't miss the break-out Spider-Character of 2023!

STAR WARS DARTH VADER #35

STAR WARS SANA STARROS #5 (OF 5)

UNCANNY X-MEN OMNIBUS VOL 5  HC

VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR II #4

WOLVERINE #34

WOLVERINE BY BENJAMIN PERCY VOL 5 TP

X-23 DEADLY REGENESIS #4

X-CELLENT #4 (OF 5)

X-FORCE EPIC COLLECTION: ARMAGEDDON NOW TP

X-MEN RED #12

MORE COMICS

ANIMAL CASTLE VOL 2 #2

ASCENCIA #17

BIG UGLY GN

11487882265?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Ellice Weaver | Avery Hill Publishing | $19.95

Work, health, family - Mel feels like her life is just circling endlessly as she begins to renew her relationship to her brother in this vibrant graphic novel. Mel isn't going anywhere - except to work every day. But when she offers the spare room in her apartment to her struggling brother, everything she loves and hates about wanting to live up to the expectations of her family becomes part of her every day again. It turns out that even as adults, living with your sibling brings back the dynamics of tween rivalries. As Mel tries to rebalance things with her brother, she navigates how to offer help to someone who doesn't want to need it.

• Pretty much the last thing I'd want to do is live with one of my siblings. I love them, but sheesh. The second-to-last thing I'd want to do is read about somebody else doing it. Your mileage — and siblings — may differ.
  • For one thing, as that cover reminds me, one of my sisters once ate all the raisins out of a box of Raisin Bran, leaving it ... a Box o' Bran. 

BRUTAL NATURE OMNIBUS TP

CATBOY GN

11487855287?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Benji Nate | Silver Sprocket | $19.99

"Hi! I'm Olive. My cat Henry is my best friend. One night I saw a shooting star and wished Henry could hang out with me like a person. Maybe I should have been more careful with my wording ..." Collection of Benji Nate's #1 hit webcomic Catboy from VICE.COM plus heaps of additional unreleased comics, Catboy fashion, and bonus artwork.

DARK HUNGER: CARPATHIAN MANGA GN

11487952063?profile=RESIZE_710x(W) Christine Feehan (A) Zid | Berkley Publishing | $18.00

Experience Christine Feehan's Carpathian classic like never before with this edition of Dark Hunger, which includes the original novella which inspired the manga and a new note from the author! He is Riordan ... Carpathian male. Immortal. Seer. Now trapped and cage, his honor is compromised by his captors. They're in his mind. They're in his blood. And not one can withstand his desire for revenge. She is Juliette. ... A beautiful activist devoted to the liberation of animals from the foul and humid confines of a secret, jungle lab. What she has stumbled upon is unexpected-a prisoner like no other she has ever seen. Or touched. She will release him from his bonds. He will release her from her inhibitions. Each has a voracious appetite that must be sated.

• Somehow, in these stories, they're always both beautiful. What if one of these beautiful creatures wasn't beautiful, and the other one was really shallow? "She will release him from his bonds. He will say 'Good day' and take his leave." Or: "She will take one look at him in his bonds and recoil. She will say 'Good day' and take her leave."
  • "Each has a voracious appetite ... that will be sated elsewhere." I might actually read that book, just for the lulz.

DEAD BY DAYLIGHT #1 (OF 4)

11107189093?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Nadia Shammas  | Art: Dillon Snook / Colorist: Emilio Lecce | Covers: Ivan Tao, Chris Shehan, Lenka Simeckova, Dillon Snook, Jae Lee | Titan Comics | 32 pages | $4.99

Prequel comic book based on Behaviour Interactive's global phenomenon horror video game, DEAD BY DAYLIGHT!

Written by Harvey Award Winner, Nadia Shammas (Ms. Marvel), and illustrated by Dillon Snook (The Bluefall), with Emilio Lecce (Drive) on colors, issue #1 features stunning covers by Jae Lee, Ivan Tao and many more. 

Every issue of the comic book series comes with an exclusive unique game code inside!  The code will unlock an exclusive in-game charm featuring the main cover A of the corresponding issue to show off in The Fog!

Witness the terrifying origins of THE LEGION!

When the rebellious FRANK crashes into the lives of JULIE, JOEY and SUSIE, together they’ll unleash bloody chaos onto the sleepy, dead-end town of Ormond. Witness the terrifying origins of THE LEGION.

"We all know DEAD BY DAYLIGHT is an amazing video game, a blast of a board game, but with this book, Nadia, Dillon and Emilio establish the property as a fun, scary, delightful comic that deserves to be on the radar of horror fans everywhere!" — Cullen Bunn (Bloodborne, Deadpool)

"Nadia Shammas slips the knife in with ease, carving out a story that expands the world of DEAD BY DAYLIGHT ...  Dillon Snook and Emilio Lecce… lend the story a distinct, strikingly contemporary look and load even the quiet moments with a palpable tension. Fans of the franchise and slasher maniacs alike will want to check out DEAD BY DAYLIGHT's first foray into comics." — Steve Foxe (Razorblades, All Eight Eyes and X-Men '92)

WHAT IS DEAD BY DAYLIGHT VIDEO GAME?

DEAD BY DAYLIGHT (from development studio Behaviour Interactive) is a multiplayer (4vs1) horror game where one player takes on the role of the savage Killer, and the other four players play as Survivors, trying to escape the Killer and avoid being caught, tortured and killed.

Survivors play in third-person and have the advantage of better situational awareness. The Killer plays in first-person and is more focused on their prey.

The Survivors' goal in each encounter is to escape the Killing Ground without getting caught by the Killer — something that sounds easier than it is, especially when the environment changes every time you play.

11026358877?profile=RESIZE_710x11019829453?profile=RESIZE_710x11019829467?profile=RESIZE_710x11026357863?profile=RESIZE_710x11026358261?profile=RESIZE_710x11026358657?profile=RESIZE_710x11026358690?profile=RESIZE_710x

11019827483?profile=RESIZE_710x11019827857?profile=RESIZE_710x11019828254?profile=RESIZE_710x

11019828270?profile=RESIZE_710x11019827897?profile=RESIZE_710x11019828870?profile=RESIZE_710x11019833292?profile=RESIZE_710x11019833657?profile=RESIZE_710x11019833470?profile=RESIZE_710x11019833677?profile=RESIZE_710x10972513677?profile=RESIZE_710x

DEATH DROP ASSASSIN #1

11037072893?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: David Hazan | Art: Alex Moore | Letters: Lucas Gattoni | Scout | Mature | $4.99

A hitman turned drag queen searches for her missing drag sister as a rash of killings and disappearances spreads across her city’s queer neighborhoods. Death Drop must decide how far she is willing to be pulled back into a life of violence to protect her community in this supernatural queer noir.

A slew of mysterious disappearances sweeps across the city’s queer districts. The police are unconcerned, and, well, it’s nothing the queer community hasn’t seen again and again. Even for Death Drop, it doesn’t hit home until her drag sister, Lunaira Sun, goes missing. 

At the insistence of Mother Henny, her drag mother, Death Drop uses her assassin skills to pick up the scent of the wayward Lunaira. What she finds is a trail of supernaturally disfigured corpses, a leather-clad killer hell-bent on revenge, and an enigmatic queen from Mother Henny’s past. To make matters worse, she can’t shake the feeling that the specter of the assassin mentor she exposed and left for dead years ago is now haunting her every step.

The search for a connection between these seemingly disparate threads will take Death Drop from Mother Henny’s club, Posterior Delusions, through the streets and back-alleys of the gayborhood, to the world beyond. As her past and present collide in a deadly confrontation, Death Drop will be forced to grapple with the idea that escaping from your past and overcoming it are two very different things.

"Death Drop has been a years-long labor of love to bring to the page the kind of queer comics I always wanted to read," writer David Hazan said. "This is a story by queer people, aimed at the struggles queer people face today. Alex brought that to life in a way that only they could, pairing a campy, colorful neo-noir aesthetic perfectly with pulse-pounding action and the book's dark themes. It's uniquely gratifying to bring a story like this to life, highlighting the healing power of drag at a time when the artform is firmly fixed in the public consciousness."

"Death Drop has been an utter dream of a project to work on," artist Alex Moore said. "Between the charismatic cast of characters, twisting plot and gritty action (not to mention a touch of horror to boot), it’s been a privilege and a pleasure working with David on this queer crime-noir and I’m incredibly grateful they gave me the opportunity to have my debut as an interior artist on this book. Death Drop is more than just genre though; the story squarely takes on so many issues impacting the LGBTQI+ community that, sadly, feel increasingly relevant and it's been an honor to be part of a defiant stand against them."

• A hitman turned drag queen? This is just what Gov. DeSantis has been warning us about!!!

11037073281?profile=RESIZE_710x

11037073666?profile=RESIZE_710x11037073875?profile=RESIZE_710x11037073695?profile=RESIZE_710x11037074259?profile=RESIZE_710x

DICE MAN COMPLETE EDITION HC

11488211673?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Various | Rebellion / 2000AD | $49.99

The legendary 2000 AD role-playing game! Originally published during the adventure gamebook boom of the 1980s, Dice Man has never been reprinted in its entirety before, but now the complete run of Dice Man magazine is presented in this massive collection. Using dice and a pencil, you will become Judge Dredd as he faces off against the Dark Judges, or guide Nemesis the Warlock as they race through the Torture Tube, or help Sláine steal the Cauldron of Blood from the Tower of Glass.

• Once the next big thing, now nostalgia. 

DON'T SPIT IN THE WIND #3 (OF 4)

FAINT OF HEART HC

11488333500?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Kerilynn Wilson | Greenwillow Books | $18.99

Not that long ago, the Scientist discovered that all sadness, anxiety, and anger disappeared when you removed your heart. And that's all it took. Soon enough, the hospital had lines out the door. June is an exceptional high schooler, though not in the way you'd expect. She is the only one in town who still has her heart. When she looks at her heartless family and friends, she knows she can't become one of them. But the pressure, loneliness, and heartache are mounting, and it's becoming harder and harder to be the only one with a heart. And then June comes across an abandoned heart in a jar. The heart in the jar intrigues her, it baffles her, and it brings her hope. June wonders if the heart can be used to revitalize her sister. But the heart also brings her Max, a classmate with a secret of his own: though he had his heart removed, he is starting to feel again-and it hurts. June will have to choose between a boy she barely knows-a boy who's in pain-and the sister she loves dearly-who feels nothing. But will her own heart rip in two in the process?

• That's a big "nope" from me. As Captain Kirk once said, "I need my pain!"

FAMILY STYLE MEMORIES OF AMERICAN FROM VIETNAM GN

11488361479?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Thien Pham | First Second Books | $17.99

Originally posted on Instagram, this young adult graphic novel details the author's childhood immigration to America with his family, through the lens of particularly meaningful food and meals. Thien's first memory isn't a sight or a sound. It's the sweetness of watermelon and the saltiness of fish. It's the taste of the foods he ate while adrift at sea as his family fled Vietnam. After the Pham family arrives at a refugee camp in Thailand, they struggle to survive. Things don't get much easier once they resettle in California. And through each chapter of their lives, food takes on a new meaning. Behind every cut of steak and inside every croissant lies a story. And for Thien Pham, that story is about a search — for belonging, for happiness, for the American dream!

FEMFORCE #200

11488416867?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Bill Black | Art/Cover: Eric Coile, Bill Black | AC Comics | $5.95

The Femforce reach their landmark 200th issue trapped in "The Tunnel of 200 Terrors!" Under the malevolent guidance of Alizarin Crimson and The Shimmerer all their enemies past and present have thrust the team into a cosmic death arena from which there is absolutely no escape. Full Color! Wraparound Cover!

• I've never read a single issue of this, nor have I have been tempted to. But getting to 200 issues in today's market is a pretty big deal.

FRANK FRAZETTA'S MOTHMAN #1 (OF 5) 

11488477662?profile=RESIZE_710x

• This week's Frazetta painting. I don't think I've seen this one before.

GHOSTLORE #2 (OF 12)

GOLD DIGGER #300

11488744700?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Fred Perry | Antarctic Press | $3.00

PENULTIMATE ISSUE (Yes, Virginia, there WILL be a Gold Digger #301!)

$3.00 FOR #300 SPECIAL PRICE

30 years. 300 issues. 7500+ pages. ONE MAN.  In 1993, following a serialized run in Mangazine and a 4-issue miniseries, Fred Perry unleashed the first regular issue of his seminal F/SF adventure series, Gold Digger.  Now, with this issue, the saga of Gina and Brittany Diggers comes to a close, and Fred achieves what no other industry creator has done: 300 issues of a SOLO-CREATOR series.  From plot to pencils, inks, colors and lettering, Fred's a One-Man Marine Corps of comics creation.  To celebrate this milestone, we're taking a tiny bit of the burden off his shoulders with some spectacular guest covers and variants!

• And here's an indie that's made it to 300 issues! Pretty impressive.

11488683054?profile=RESIZE_710x11488695678?profile=RESIZE_710x11488705494?profile=RESIZE_710x11488701067?profile=RESIZE_710xGREAT BRITISH BUMP OFF #3 (OF 4) 

GRIMM SPOTLIGHT: LOVECRAFT'S LEGACY

• Zenescope

GRIT N GEARS #2 (OF 7)

INTERTWINED: THE LAST JEWISH DAUGHTER OF KAIFENG #1

11488862491?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Fabrice Sapolsky | Art: Fei Chen, Ho Seng Hui | Cover: Fabrice Sapolsky | Fairsquare Comics | $12.99

In time for Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month as well as Jewish American Heritage Month, fan-favorite series INTERTWINED is back with a 64 page special dedicated to the only Asian Jewish character in comics: the new Spirit of Water!

After the events of the original INTERTWINED series, Leah Ai Tian's life has changed drastically. She had been dragged in Juan Jin's adventures with the Spirits of WuXing against her will and Lady Xia passed on the mantle of Champion of the Water Element to her right before she was murdered.

Now, Leah fights along the Spirits of the Earth, Wood, Fire and Metal to preserve the balance of the universe while fully living her Jewish faith. But her past has come back to haunt her.

Why did she really leave Kaifeng and China? And what do Mob Lord Yuk-Long wants so much that he sent his goons all the way to Chinatown New York to find her?

INTERTWINED: THE LAST JEWISH DAUGHTER OF KAIFENG is a fast paced action adventure tale dealing with deep real life issues: the meaning of faith in a country that, at that time, doesn't recognize Judaism as a religion, the condition of women in the early 1970s and freedom of choice.

Brought to you by original creators Fabrice Sapolsky and Fred Pham Chuong with art by new sensational artists Fei Chen and Ho Seng Hui with colors by Walter Pereyra.

Featuring covers by the two creators, Fabrice Sapolsky and Fred Pham Chuong, as well as praised artists Nick Bradshaw, Gerald Parel, Franck Uzan and Will Torres.

• Pretty unwieldy title.
  • Here's a preview.

11488898883?profile=RESIZE_710x11488898901?profile=RESIZE_710x11488916473?profile=RESIZE_710x11488912888?profile=RESIZE_710x11488921899?profile=RESIZE_710x

A LEGACY OF VIOLENCE #6 (OF 12) 

LEGENDS OF THE PIERCED VEIL IZUNA

11489050288?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Saverio Tenuta | Art/Cover: Carita Lupattelli | Humanoids | Mature | $29.99

Since the dawn of time, the Izuna wolves have been entrusted as guardians against Japan's evil spirits, protecting the veil that keeps the spirit world of the Kami and the human world separate. One day, a dark force known as the Noggo appears, spreading infection throughout the spiritual plane. As the Izuna battle against the Noggo's invasion of their land, an Izuna cub is born in the form of a young human girl. Can the Izuna protect the Veil from the threat that could come from within?

The Legends of the Pierced Veil collects Tenuta's celebrated Legends books in a beautiful unified format, perfect for newcomers and longtime fans alike.

LET'S PLAY VOL 3 GN

LIQUID KILL #5 (OF 6) 

THE LIZARD PRINCE AND OTHER SOUTH AMERICAN TALES GN

10785578298?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Kate Ashwin, Kel McDonald | Art: Various | Iron Circus Comics | $15.00

C. Spike Trotman’s Iron Circus Comics is launching an independent crowdfunding campaign for The Lizard Prince and Other South American Tales, an all-new anthology and the final installment in the acclaimed "Cautionary Fables" series. The stunning collection is packed with nearly 200 pages of real-world fables and folktales, from comedic to curious to downright chilling, retold in the form of comics by an array of talented artists. Come with us on a journey across South America, where we’ll meet terrifying birds, fire-breathing chefs, cheeky goblins and so so much more!

Stories include:

• “The Basnemporo Spider” by Brenda Argon, where a spider tries her very best to help.
  • “The Myth of the Condor” by Diego Carvajal, a sweeping romantic fable about love in the stars.
  • “The Ring” by Francis Francia, in which a new bride gets a little more than she bargained for.
  • “The Muki’s Deal” by Rick Lazo, where we learn all about mining goblins and true friendship.
  • “The Little Shepherd” by PD Loupee and Bruno Ortiz, where a brave little boy is able to find light even in the darkest places.
  • “Yara” by nique, the journey of a young girl determined to control her own destiny.
  • “Let Me Cook My Breakfast, Mr Caiman!” by Randal Ranpokoka, a hilarious tale of breakfasts, cooking fires and capybara!
  • “Pineapple Wishes” by Luisa F. Rojas, in which a magical Palenquera teaches a young girl that history can come alive.
  • “The Bum Who Tricked The Devil” by Rodrigo Vargas, in which — well, you guessed it!
  • “The Lizard Prince” by Lore Vicente, an epic tale of magic, love, courage and reptiles!
  • “A Girl and Her Bird” by Coni Yovaniniz, when the Tue-Tué bird comes calling.

The anthology is edited and organized by Alberto Rayo, Kel McDonald and Kate Ashwin and topped off with a beautiful watercolor cover by Daniela López. The Lizard Prince and Other South American Tales is the sixth and final volume of the acclaimed "Cautionary Fables and Fairy Tales" series and the second volume of the series to be published by Iron Circus Comics; the series has previously been crowdfunded by Kel McDonald and Kate Ashwin. Iron Circus pioneered the widely-adopted bonus model that's since completely reshaped the pay system of the small press, jump-starting the current renaissance of alt-comics anthologies.

“ 'The Cautionary Fables and Fairytales' series has been chronicling folktales from around the world for nearly a decade, hopping from Europe to Africa, over to Asia, Oceania, and finally teaming up with Iron Circus Comics to hit the coasts of America,” said editor Kel McDonald. “Our previous volume of North American tales told by Indigenous artists and writers smashed all records to become the highest funded comics anthology on Kickstarter, and now we’re fully onboard with Iron Circus’ crowdfunding, we can’t wait to see what happens next!”

11019855268?profile=RESIZE_710x11019855659?profile=RESIZE_710x11019855277?profile=RESIZE_710x11019855674?profile=RESIZE_710x11019855494?profile=RESIZE_710x11019855858?profile=RESIZE_710x11019856059?profile=RESIZE_710x11019855878?profile=RESIZE_710x11019856272?profile=RESIZE_710x11019856281?profile=RESIZE_710x11019856464?profile=RESIZE_710x11019856476?profile=RESIZE_710x11019856868?profile=RESIZE_710x11019856690?profile=RESIZE_710x11019856885?profile=RESIZE_710x

LOVE REPORT GN

STL266862.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Beka | Art: Maya | Hippo Park | $12.99

BFFs Grace and Lola talk about everything related to romance-and have lots of questions: What about the mysterious allure of the popular girl at school? And the rebellious goth with the reputation? And boys. They don't quite understand what makes some school romances soar to legendary heights, while other flirtations fizzle. Lola has an idea-they'll observe, study, and analyze all the couples at their Junior High-and compile their findings as The Love Report. Surprises await them, and force them to learn to see beyond appearances in this fast-paced series opener. They'll also discover secrets between themselves.

• I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to predict that the silly premise of this book is just an excuse to present a gay coming-of-age story. What I don't know is what age range the book's aimed at. The cover art looks middle school, but the setting seems more high school. 

LSBN

11002210064?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Emma Jayne | Colors: Sloane Leong | Silver Sprocket | 80 pages | Mature | $14.99;

After many grueling years of defending against colossal, violent creatures, the machine that will turn the conflict in humanity's favor is nearing completion ... until the war unexpectedly comes to a sudden, peaceful resolution.

Commander Sugimoto and her lead engineer Mischa Polyakov have spent nearly every waking moment together since the project's inception, but without the pretense of their careers and world-ending calamity, do they have a reason to stay in one another's lives?

“As usual, Emma manages to capture the particular tenderness that exists between trans people and the thrilling, heartbreaking uncertainty that comes with pursuing that destiny.” — Casey Nowak (No Better Words)

11002210079?profile=RESIZE_710x11002209889?profile=RESIZE_710x

MAGIC PLANESWALKERS NOBLE #1

11464044473?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Various | Cover: Jahnoy Lindsay | BOOM | $7.99

Planeswalkers Karn and Ral Zarek team up to navigate the lonely and often treacherous space between flesh and machine.

Meanwhile, a romantic outing featuring Jace and Vraska? The circumstances are less than ideal, however, and even perilous!

Between fan-favorite pairings and unexpected, exciting alliances, the stellar creative team of Stephanie Williams (Nubia: Queen of the Amazons), Daniel Warren and Dave Rapoza (Steve Lichman), Alberto Locatelli, Lea Caballero, Arianna Consonni and Ra l Angulo take readers to unforgettable realms in the Magic Multiverse!

MISS TRUESDALE &THE FALL OF HYPERBOREA #2 (OF 4)

MURDER INC.: JAGGER ROSE #2 (OF 6)

MY LITTLE PONY: BEST OF RAINBOW DASH

MY LITTLE PONY: CLASSICS REIMAGINED -- LITTLE FILLIES GN

MYSTIC DEBRIS HC

11456701455?profile=RESIZE_710x11456719254?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Justin Gradin | Fantagraphics | 156 pages | $139.99

When the band kicks him out and his wife and baby leave him, Whizbang travels to other planes of existence in an attempt to make peace with it all. A psychedelic walkabout by way of screwball comedy.

Justin Gradin's stunning debut graphic novel Mystic Debris and its cast of quixotics exist in a comics continuum with Gary Panter's Jimbo, Mark Beyer's Amy and Jordan and Marc Bell's Shrimpy and Paul. Whizbang is a metalhead whose band, Fascinator, has left him for stardom. His wife, Planchette, has left with their newborn baby. He leaves himself for a shimmy up the astral projector stripper pole, to hang with cosmic dust bunnies in a quest for enlightenment, or at least in a quest to avoid a job at the door factory.

The first 100 orders of Mystic Debris include an exclusive bookplate signed by the author! Order now to claim yours.

THE NASTY #3

NEW MEN VOL 1: LEAP OF FAITH TP 

• Action Lab. Collects New Men #1-4.

NUKING ALASKA GN

11489870496?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Peter Dunlap-Shohl | Graphic Mundi-PSU Press | $19.95

Nuking Alaska is an unnervingly funny tale of life in Alaska during the tensest times of the Cold War. It recounts the surprising and tragicomic details of the nuclear threats faced by Alaskans, including Project Chariot in the late 1950s and early 60s, the near-nuclear disaster caused by the Great Alaskan Earthquake of 1964, and the 1971 test of a nuclear warhead on the island of Amchitka. Alaskan resident Peter Dunlap-Shohl shares the terrible consequences that these events and others had for humans and animals alike, all in the service of "atoms for peace."

• This would be a lot funnier without so many loose nukes rattling around the world.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OMEGA GANG #1

11490180681?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Matteo Rivosecchi | Niccolo Lelapi | Letters: Maria Letizia Mirabella | Cover: Ludovica Ceregatti | Scout | $4.99

THEY ARE THE LAST IN LINE, THE END OF EVERYTHING.

They are the Omega Gang: Gabriel, Adham, Luna and Amaranta. They are a group of Gen Z teenagers, living in the small English town of Norwich, dealing with all the problems and insecurities typical of youth. Already burdened at birth by economic and social issues, they see only darkness in their future. The discovery of the OGs — monsters linked to their fears and dreams — gives them a ray of hope for the first time.

However, these strange creatures also bring a lot of trouble! The teens desperately try to hide their creatures’ existence from the authorities, while dealing with their monsters’ powers and explosive growth — all the while trying to cope with their own personal problems.

They have two choices: turn this discovery into the good kind of trouble that can change the world or collapse under the pressure.

“I’ve been trying to break into the comics world for quite some time, and I’m grateful to Scout for giving a bunch of kids from Italy the chance to tell our story," Matteo Rivosecchi said. "This project is our heart and soul, our sweat and blood.”

“This is the best way to break into the creator-owned market," Niccolò Ielapi. "We’re excited that we can finally show our work to the world!”

• Doesn't every generation thinks it's the last one? Or the first one.

11490252899?profile=RESIZE_710x11490258268?profile=RESIZE_710x11490265282?profile=RESIZE_710x11490271282?profile=RESIZE_710x11490299464?profile=RESIZE_710x11490304091?profile=RESIZE_710x

PROKARYOTE SEASON GN

10837302471?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story/Art: Leo Fox | Silver Sprocket | Mature | 168 pages | B&W | 7" x 9.5" | $19.99

Sydney and Laurelie are best friends searching for the contentment of oblivion. Failing that, they'd like to be adored. Laurelie, by their caustic boyfriend Trip, and Sydney by Laurelie.

On a typical night partying in the woods, Sydney grows frustrated with their unrequited obsession for Laurelie, and asks for a wish to be granted by the curious cosmic creature Starman. Not only will Laurelie love Sydney, but Laurelie will be dependent on them — will need to be saved by them. When the wish becomes deadly serious, Sydney and Trip will be forced to figure out how to save Laurelie for real, or risk losing the person most important to them both.

A beautifully illustrated graphic novel about sickness, ennui, romance and finding meaning in one's own self.

"A single-celled organism doesn't toil. It doesn't stare at the ceiling and cry. It doesn't have ill-fitting clothes. It doesn't do anything, that's the whole point. It just is."

"Love feels like a sickness in Prokaryote Season, like a hypochondriac need for control. Fox’s beautifully oozing artwork and delicate prose create a story of obsessive desire to be felt with one’s entire self” — Val Wise (Cheer Up!, Delicatesse)

A queer fable about the dangers of obsession.

11002209488?profile=RESIZE_710x11002209676?profile=RESIZE_710x

QUEEN OF SWORDS BARBARIC STORY #1

11490414257?profile=RESIZE_710x11490417498?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Michael Moreci | Cover: K.J. Diaz | Art/Cover: Corin Howell | $4.99

Spinning out of the pages of BARBARIC comes an all-new, standalone, rip-roaring fantasy adventure, filled with mayhem, humor and a bloodthirsty weapon that just won't stop talking! Serra is a witch with a checkered past, Ka is an assassin with an agenda all her own and Deadheart is a barbarian who wants to bash everyone in her path. They'll have to unite their unique skills to track down a powerful foe who's tied their lives together. Get ready to meet your new favorite instrument of death — the evil Ga'Bar, whose spirit is now trapped in Deadheart's sword!

Discover the origin of the dark magic that turned Soren into the tattooed witch she is today, in this totally new story, the perfect place to step into the world of BARBARIC for the first time!

• Is Barbaric becoming a franchise?

SECOND COMING TRINITY #3 (OF 6) 

• Ahoy, Ahoy fans!

SOMETHING IS KILLING CHILDREN VOL 6 TP

STAR TREK #9 

STAR TREK: ECHOES #2 

STAR TREK LIBRARY COLLECTION VOL 1 TP

STRAY SHEEP #5 (OF 5)

THE PROPHET GN 

11490499295?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: A. David Lewis, Kahlil Gibran | Art: Justin Renteria | Graphic Munci-PSU | $21.95

First published in 1923, Khalil Gibran's The Prophet is unquestionably the most popular work of free verse published in the English language during the 20th century. The slender book tells the story of exiled Almustafa, leaving his refugee home of Orphalese after 12 years of banishment. Before he goes, however, he has words of wisdom for the people who took him in. This graphic adaptation features a faithful rendering of the original text with a flashback sequence that explains the prehistory of Almustafa and an afterword by A. David Lewis.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: THE LAST RONIN — THE COVERS HC

10922715059?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Kevin Eastman, Ben Bishop, Esau Isaac Escorza, more | IDW-PRH | 200 pages | $34.99 

Relive the gritty realism and explosive action of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin — one of the greatest TMNT stories of all time — through the iconic covers that helped make it an instant classic! IDW announces the June 2023 release of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin—The Covers, a 200-page, full-color hardcover serving as a comprehensive showcase of each and every cover variant over the span of the series.

Featuring an all-new cover by Last Ronin series co-artist Ben Bishop, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin—The Covers features artwork from an all-star lineup of top-tier talent, including TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman, Last Ronin co-artists Esau & Isaac Escorza and the aforementioned Ben Bishop, and comic industry superstars including Mateus Santolouco, Sophie Campbell, Freddie E. Williams II, Rick and Morty’s Justin Roiland, Peach Momoko, Tyler Kirkham, John Giang, Amanda Conner, Rob Liefeld, Simon Bisley, Stan Sakai and many more!

“All five issues of The Last Ronin came with absolutely insane artwork on hundreds of incredible variant covers — not only from top established legendary creators who may have been drawing TMNT their whole lives but from up-and-coming creators and everyone in between. A cover for The Last Ronin was an opportunity, and every artist knew it and wanted to be a part of it,” says Bishop.

“This book is a celebration of all those artists who contributed to the world of The Last Ronin, giving us a glimpse of the Ronin’s world through many different perspectives. I’m so glad that all these works of art will now live in this one cover collection for fans who may not have been able to grab the issue itself but especially for the artists who created them. Personally, I just can’t wait to bring it around to conventions and track down every single signature!”

The Last Ronin — The Covers is a celebration of the series and its monumental success. We had so many incredible covers to showcase and the result is this amazing collection of covers from some of the most talented artists working in comics,” says senior editor Alonzo Simon.

Springing from a lost 1987 storyline by TMNT co-creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, The Last Ronin tells the story of a sole, shrouded Turtle in a dark possible future, undertaking a seemingly hopeless mission to obtain justice for his fallen family and friends. The kinetic layouts from Eastman, atmospheric illustrations from Esau & Isaac Escorza and Ben Bishop, thrilling script from longtime TMNT scribe Tom Waltz, and bold hues from colorist Luis Antonio Delgado instantly resonated with fans and critics alike.

Debuting in October 2020 as a quarterly periodical in a prestigious oversize format, The Last Ronin took the comic world by storm, eventually leading to over 840,000 units of the individual comic books in print, coveted New York Times best seller status with over 125,000 collections sold, and adaptations to action figures and statues. The story of The Last Ronin expands in 2023 with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin — Lost Years, a miniseries straddling Michelangelo’s past as a lone wanderer and the future where four new turtles will grow up in his shadow.

TMNT ONGOING #140

TRIDENT OF AURELIA TP

11490698054?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Lee Moyer | Art/Cover: Melissa Spandri | Battle Quest Comics | $12.99

A long-abandoned trident calls out to a drowning woman. As Orianna takes it in her hand, she transforms into a mermaid, and her life changes forever. Hers is a story of ancient sorceries, a cadre of mermaid allies, alien monsters and a massive Leviathan, a story Peter Beagle (The Last Unicorn) calls "enchanting and ominous!"

VERN: CUSTODIAN OF UNIVERSE GN

11490812271?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Tyrell Waiters | Nobrow | $20.99

On the edge of burnout, Vern decides to return to his family in the Sunshine State to start over. Starting a new dead-end job as a custodian at Quasar-a local science facility with a shady motive-he shrugs on his uniform, grabs a mop and bucket, and trudges off to clean up ... Black holes? Space-time anomalies? Galactic ooze? Things aren't entirely what they seem at Quasar, and when Vern accidentally plugs in a mysterious machine and finds himself standing on the brink of the destruction of every planet in the Multiverse, he's presented with the greatest question of all: what is the point? Fans of Ben Passmore's personal and political comics — as well as classic sci-fi comedies like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Rick and Morty — will enjoy this world of hyper fantasy with a touch of humor, as told by a Black creator.

• Looks cartoony, but is apparently aimed at people old enough to appreciate black humor. 

VIOLET DESCENDS #2 (OF 5) 

XINO #1 

11491098466?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Chris Condon, Melissa Flores, Phil Hester, Jordan Thomas | Art: Nick Cagnetti, Phil Hester, Daniel Irizarri, Shaky Kane | Art: Matt Lesniewski | $5.99

Because the future is getting weirder everyday, we give you XINO #001 — the first of three OVERSIZED, 40-PAGE intra-ocular lozenges of subversive, surrealist science-fiction to cure your awful awareness of it all. Try not to worry — the insertion process will be guided by the megawatt brilliance of Oni's brightest talents (past, present and future) as they slowly tune your hopes, dreams, desires, paranoia, alienation, anxiety and adrenaline to produce the desired results.

In our first exploratory outing: Rising stars Melissa Flores (The Dead Lucky, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) & Daniel Irizarri (Judge Dredd) surgically activate the hidden dimensions of the human senses; cult phenoms Christopher Condon (That Texas Blood) and Nick Cagnetti (Pink Lemonade) debut the world's first intravenous video game system; Underground radicals Jordan Thomas (Weird Work) and Shaky Kane (Bulletproof Coffin) surveil the suburbs for signs of covert infiltration, and master cartoonist and foundational Oni creator Phil Hester (Gotham City: Year One, The Coffin) returns to the fold to leave his deepest mark yet!

11491157276?profile=RESIZE_710x11491164455?profile=RESIZE_710x11491169297?profile=RESIZE_710x

MORE MANGA

AT 30 I REALIZED I HAD NO GENDER GN

DRAGONS BETROTHED VOL 2 GN

ECCENTRIC DOCTOR OF MOON FLOWER KINGDOM VOL 2 GN

EVEN THOUGH WERE ADULTS VOL 6

GHOST OF KYIV #1

11488571893?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Matsuda Djuko | TokyoPop | $3.99

Well-known Japanese manga author Matsuda Djuko was inspired by the events of February 2022, when the skies over Kyiv were heroically defended by Ukrainian pilots of the Tactical Aviation Brigade, giving rise to the urban legend of the Ghost of Kyiv, a MiG-29 pilot who won 6 air victories in the sky over the capital.

• I knew when the "Ghost of Kiev" stories were in the news that it wasn't probable in an age of sophisticated anti-aircraft systems and against a country with its own high-tech fighters. But it's the sort of legend that inspires troops, and Ukraine can use all the help it can get.

HIS MAJESTY THE DEMON KING'S HOUSEKEEPER VOL 4 GN

IF MY FAVORITE POP IDOL MADE IT TO BUDOKAN VOL 1 GN

I'M STANDING ON 1,000,000 LIVES VOL 13 GN

KAGEKI SHOJO VOL 9 GN

KOMI CAN'T COMMUNICATE VOL 25 GN

LAST GENDER VOL 3 GN

MY ISEKAI LIFE VOL 7 GN

NBX: BATTLE FOR THE PUMPKIN KING #2 (OF 5)

OLD FASHIONED CUPCAKE GN

PERSONA 5 COMIC A LA CARTE GN

PROPHECY COMPLETE OMNIBUS GN

SAVING 80K GOLD IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 1 GN

SEVEN DEADLY SINS OMNIBUS VOL 10 GN

SPIDER-MAN FAKE RED GN

THE SUMMER YOU WERE THERE VOL 3 GN

TUNNEL TO SUMMER EXIT OF GOODBYES ULTRAMARINE VOL 4 GN

WELCOME TO DEMON SCHOOL IRUMA KUN VOL 2 GN

WELCOME TO SUCCUBUS HIGH VOL 4 GN

WHO WANTS TO MARRY A BILLIONAIRE VOL 5 GN

WHY I ADOPTED MY HUSBAND GN

XGENDER VOL 2 GN

YAKUZA LOVER VOL 9 GN

YASHAHIME PRINCESS HALF DEMON VOL 3 GN

MORE KIDS

ALORA WITCH PRINCESS GN

CALIE & KIKI ADV HC

CALL OF THE NIGHT VOL 12 GN

ELINOR WONDERS WHY: BUGGING OUT GN

ELINOR WONDERS WHY: HOW TO CARRY A CUPCAKE GN

GARVEY'S CHOICE GN

GNOME AND RAT GN

MEXICA AZTEC PRINCESS GN

MIGHTY MARVEL TEAM-UP SPIDER-MAN ANIMALS ASSEMBLE

MR. WINGLETTER ADVENTURES HC

OWL & PENGUIN: BEST DAY EVER GN

REGGIE: KID PENGUIN VOL 1 GN

SPARKLING STORIES OF PHOEBE AND HER UNICORN 2-IN-1 GN

THIS IS NOT MY STORY HC

TOTAL WASTE OF SPACE TIME VOL 2 GN

TWISTED TALE: PART OF YOUR WORLD GN

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT: SCIENCE FAIR FRENZY GN

WORLD OF BETTY & VERONICA JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #26

11492060695?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Various, Bill Golliher, Ian Flynn | Art: Various, Rex Lindsey, Steven Butler | Cover: Dan Parent | Archie | $9.99

TWO BRAND NEW STORIES! First, in " in  'Light my Fire!' - Betty, Veronica, Toni, and Kumi are on a camping trip when they realize they can't get their fire started. It's damp and they forgot their matches and the rubbing two sticks together trick doesn't seem to work. Veronica has an idea: time to call in some reinforcements! And who better to start a fire than the superhero Inferno himself?!

Then, in "Flagging Resolve" - Pureheart is excited to get an invite to the Crusaders Cookout. It's sure to be a good time for all the fledgling superheroes and their superhero elders! But when Captain Flag decides to give a history lesson, someone's going to do something have to liven up the party! 

• So, instead of trying to launch a superhero universe (again) with its MLJ characters, Archie Comics seems to have decided to just establish that Archie and the gang already live in a superhero universe, and draw these characters in Dan DeCarlo style instead of Serious Superhero style. Is that good? Jury's out. But if nothing else, it keeps the trademarks alive.

11647455455?profile=RESIZE_710x11647462865?profile=RESIZE_710x11647455486?profile=RESIZE_710x11647477452?profile=RESIZE_710x11647477480?profile=RESIZE_710x11647493656?profile=RESIZE_710x11647493675?profile=RESIZE_710x11647509883?profile=RESIZE_710x11647514484?profile=RESIZE_710x11647519677?profile=RESIZE_710x

• "I'd like to say 12 years between issues of a "monthly" title is a record, but it's probably not."

I'll let you know if someone ever publishes Xenozoic Tales #15.

"But getting to 200 issues in today's market is a pretty big deal."

Unless you "skip ahead" or use "Marvel math."

• I'll let you know if someone ever publishes Xenozoic Tales #15.

According to Wiki, Schultz has been writing Prince Valiant since 2004 (Tom Yeates is drawing it), and has been working on various video games, including Xenozoic Tales. Doesn't sound like he has a lot of time for the comic book. Also, he is 68 as of last week.

Unless you "skip ahead" or use "Marvel math."

Is "Marvel math" like "New Math"? New Math came along after my high school years, at least in my state, so I never experienced it. But it sounds like everyone hated it! (Seriously, I assume you mean Marvel's tendency to announce anniversary issues with numbers tenuously connected to reality. "It's Incredible Hulk #800! Don't count! Don't ask! Just buy!")

• Yeah, like Wolverine #900 or Marvel Comics #1000.

• I could talk myself into believing Wolverine #900, as he has starred in a lot of one-shots, miniseries, reprints and regular series. Throw in individual issues of Marvel Comics Presents and you might have more than 900 to choose from. 

But yeah, we discussed how preposterous Marvel Comics #1000 was before. Deadpool had a phony #900 AND a #1000, plus Deadpool Team-Up #883-899. There are doubtless more.

• Those are examples of "skipping ahead"... actually, I refer to any number not arrived at sequentially as "Marvel Math."

• DC uses Marvel Math too! (I'm thinking of the "DC One Million" books.)

• SPIDER-MAN FAKE RED GN

This was in B&N last weekend.  Haven't finished reading it yet, though.

• New Math!

Captain Comics said:

Is "Marvel math" like "New Math"? 

• I thought it was a big deal when Howard the Duck #32 turned out in 1985 after #31 being published in 1979... but that pales next to the "ressurrected" books that DC published in 2010 as part of the "Blackest Night" event.

The most extreme example was a late, then-bimonthly book: "The Atom and Hawkman" #45 was published in late 1969 and Blackest Night made it so that #46 turned up  into an unsuspecting 2010.  Forty years in the making, so to speak, although the continuity was hopelessly broken by that point.  I had forgotten that Blackest Night happened so close to Flashpoint.

As for "Marvel Math" numbering, DC also had the zeroth issues from around Zero Hour in the 1990s.

This reply was deleted.