Comics Guide: May 29-June 4, 2023

DARK HORSE COMICS

STAR WARS: HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES #5 (OF 8)

DC COMICS

DC PRIDE 2023 #1

Story/Art: Various | Introduction: Phil Jimenez | Cover: Mateus Manhanini | 104 pages | $9.99

“I hope this anthology feels like an invitation to all — to experience life the way queer folk do. We want everyone to celebrate joy, to elevate beauty, to embrace frivolity. We want everyone to love who they want to love, to believe in justice for all, and fight like hell for it. We want everyone to be a hero, and to celebrate the good and the wonder of people different than themselves. We want everyone to look at the world a little sideways, a little bent, a little askew, which can be transcendent if you let it.” — "Introduction" by Phil Jimenez, DC Pride 2023

DC Pride is back with DC Pride 2023, an all-new 104-page anthology starring DC's fan-favorite stable of LGBTQIA+ characters — this time, with a focus on never-before-seen team-ups! DC’s 2023 Pride collection of books and comics will be available at your local comic book shop, bookstore, library and beyond, delivering bold stories, brave characters and more pride than ever. 

The DC Pride 2023 creative teams and the characters they are developing stories for include:

“Hey, Stranger”

Story: Nadia Shammas | Art: Bruka Jones| Colors: Tamra Bonvillain | Letters: Frank Cvetkovic

Tim Drake and Connor Hawke learn that there is nothing more awkward than reuniting with an old friend after you’ve both come out and one of you was indoctrinated by the League of Shadows for a while.

“Subspace Transmission”

Story/Art: A.L. Kaplan | Letters: Aditya Bidikar

Circuit Breaker struggles to stifle his powers after the Flash of Earth-11 leaps out of the time stream and knocks them both into another dimension.

“Anniversary”

Story: Josh Trujillo | Art: Don Aguillo | Letters: Lucas Gattoni

“The Dance”

Story: Rex Ogle | Art:Stephen Sadowski | Colors: Enrica Eren Angiolini | Letters: Ariana Maher

“My Best Bet”

Story: Christopher Cantwell | Art: Skylar Patridge | Colors: Dearbhla Kelly | Letters: Morgan Martinez

Jon Kent gets a comprehensive course in dark magic when John Constantine unleashes a fetch on him.

“Teamwork Makes the Dream Work”

Story/Art: Mildred Louis | Letters: Ariana Maher

“And Baby Makes Three”

Story: Leah Williams | Art: Paulina Ganucheau | Letters: Frank Cvetkovic

Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy go to extreme measures to get a little alone time … but there’s nowhere on the planet Crush can’t crash.

“Love’s Lightning Heart”

Story: Grant Morrison | Art: Hayden Sherman | Colors: Marissa Louise | Letters: Aditya Bidikar

This year’s oversize one-shot special is headlined by Grant Morrison returning to Multiversity, with a cosmic love story. Just how far would Flashlight go to honor his lost love? 

“Lost & Found”

Story: Jeremy Holt | Art: Andrew Drilon | Letters: Lucas Gattoni.

Spirit World star Xanthe Zhou meets Batwoman.

“Bad Dream: A Dreamer Story”

Writer: Nicole Maines | Art: Rye Hickman | Colors: Bex Glendining | Letters: Rusty Gladd

Pinup pages in DC Pride 2023 include "Pub Showdown" by Triona Farrell, "Flower Power" by Babs Tarr, "Dinner Date" by Angel Solorzano, "Beefcake Bad Boys" by Travis Moore & Tamra Bonvillain, "Poker Night" by Noah Dao, "Doom Patrol Block Party" by Maria Llovet and "Youth Center" by Ted Brandt & Ro Stein. DC Pride 2023 also includes a tribute to trailblazing comics writer Rachel Pollack from Neil Gaiman, Tom Peyer, Jadzia Axelrod and more.

Don’t miss the rest of DC’s amazing DC Pride 2023 covers, including a wraparound open-to-order variant by fan-favorite Teen Titans: Robin artist Gabriel Piccolo (making a rare appearance outside of DC's young adult graphic novel line), which will also be offered as a 1:25 spot gloss variant cover! Plus, here's an early look at the DC Pride 2023 1:50 variant cover by superstar artist Jen Bartel — a reimagined version of her open-to-order foil variant cover, featuring Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy! Plus a cardstock cover by Oscar Vega!

DETECTIVE COMICS #1072

ICON VS. HARDWARE #3 (OF 5)

POWER GIRL SPECIAL #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Leah Williams | Art/Cover: Marguerite Sauvage | Variants: Stanley “Artgerm” Lau & Amanda Conner, Tula Lotay, David Nakayama | $5.99

POWER GIRL TAKES CENTER STAGE! With new powers and a new mission, Power Girl faces a challenge unlike any she's experienced before in this shocking one-shot rising from the events of Lazarus Planet and Action Comics! With Omen's guidance, Power Girl now strives to battle the demons — literal and figurative — lurking within the minds of some of the greatest superheroes in the DC Universe! But the nefarious Johnny Sorrow has been searching for a connection to Earth-0, and the superheroines' work may unwittingly give him the means to make their world his personal stage! Can Power Girl and her estranged Super-Family bring down the curtain on Sorrow's evil plans? And at what cost?

Power Girl Special #1 also features a 10-page backup story about Fire and Ice, written by Joanne Starer (The Gimmick, Sirens of the City), and illustrated by artist Natacha Bustos (Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Miles Morales: Spider-Man) and colorist Tamra Bonvillain (Wonder Woman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest) and lettered by GLAAD-award winning letterer Ariana Maher. In the introductory tale, Fire and Ice respond to a natural disaster in Baltimore, debating whether to involve Ice’s old flame Guy Gardner. When Guy causes some major drama at the scene, Superman gets involved to stop the fight.

• This leads into a Power Girl series, and it's about time. Which origin is she using these days?

POWER OF SHAZAM BOOK 2: THE WORM TURNS TP

STATIC: SEASON ONE TP

STEEL: A CELEBRATION OF 30 YEARS HC

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

BARBARELLA: THE CENTER CANNOT HOLD #4

ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF THE DARK CLASSIC YEARS OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

GARGOYLES #6

PATHFINDER: WAKE THE DEAD #1

Writer: Fred Van Lente | Art: Eman Cassalos | Covers: Steve Ellis, Biagio D'alessandro, Eman Casallos | $4.99

One of the biggest ever tabletop roleplaying games is making its anticipated return to comics! PATHFINDER has blown up in recent years, and we're unleashing a new essential story for fans with writer Fred Van Lente. Whether a reader has been playing the game for years like Fred, is a total newcomer, or just enjoys a great fantasy epic, WAKE THE DEAD is ready to satisfy all kinds of fans! We’re sharing a sneak peek and a special message from Van Lente.

Remember that each issue includes extra content that players can bring to their next game sessions and use! #1 features playable character stats for Seelah and new character options for inhabitants of the city of Ecanus!

A Special Message From Writer Fred Van Lente!

Dear Adventuring Fans,

RPGs have been a part of my life since I was very young. I got the red box Basic D&D set when I was 12 and graduated from there into the spy RPG Top Secret. Then, when I got into high school, I grokked the cosmic horror of Call of Cthulhu. In college, I loved the crunchy rules and elaborate world-building of GURPS.

But as I became a professional writer in my early 30s, once I started at Marvel working on titles like Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel Zombies and Incredible Hercules, I stopped doing role-playing games. Coming up with stories was my job now, and riffing adventures with my pals over the gaming table just felt too much like work. So I didn't pick up an RPG for well over a decade.

You know what brought me back? It was Pathfinder.

My buddy and comics retailer Alex Cox invited me to join his college buddies' Pathfinder group. I was only dimly aware of the game, as I hadn't really played fantasy RPGs since my red box games. But I was established enough in my career that I thought I could handle storytelling for fun.

And boy, let me tell you, it was fun. Pathfinder may be descended from D&D but it is very much its own game, with the spectacular world of Golarion and all sorts of awesome character traits that make it unique and distinctive from the grand-daddy of RPGs. It completely reawakened my love of gaming, and now I'm not in one, but two groups, weekly and monthly, that I play in and Game Master. (Look, I know that's a lot, but everybody needs a hobby.)

As I'm sure you've seen, Pathfinder has been in the news a lot this year already, with all the controversial changes coming to D&D, so it's the perfect time to bring out our new series, Pathfinder: Wake the Dead.

It's a terrific jumping-on-point for new readers, as even though this is an in-continuity continuation of Dynamite's other Pathfinder comics, it features a new cast of characters meeting each other and going on a harrowing adventure through the undead nation of Geb — one of my favorite locations in all of Golarion —for the first time.

And, of course, as with all previous Pathfinder comics, each issue contains official Paizo-created new gaming materials unique to Wake the Dead, making them must-have for RPG fans.

I am super-proud of the story and the terrific art by newcomer Emmanuel Casallos, with terrific alternate covers by my longtime collaborator Steve Ellis, and we're betting that Pathfinder: Wake the Dead will bring in more customers to your stores — just the same way the game brought me back into the hobby.

Best, Fred Van Lente

VAMPIRELLA STRIKES #13

IMAGE COMICS

BLOOD STAIN VOL 4 TP

DEEP CUTS #2 (OF 4)

GOOD ASIAN 1936 DLX ED HC

KILL OR BE KILLED VOL 1 TP (NEW PTG)

LOCAL MAN #4

THE SAVAGE STRENGTH OF STARSTORM #1

Story: Drew Craig |  Art: Jason Finestone | Covers: Drew Craig, Wes Craig | $3.99 

Image Comics is pleased to announce an all-new, epic adventure in The Savage Strength of Starstorm by up-and-coming creator Drew Craig. 

The Savage Strength of Starstorm follows orphaned amnesiac high school student Grant Garrison as he attempts to navigate his present and recall his past when a meteor decimates his school. Amongst the rubble, Grant discovers a strange artifact from another galaxy, the weapon known as the Starstorm, and the power that resides within it will determine not only his and his friends’ future — but the fate of the entire universe.

"It's a love letter, and homage to all the great stories, characters and creators I loved in my adolescence, and my hope is that in doing so, I've created something new, and that Starstorm and his world will excite and captivate readers the way those stories captivated me growing up," said Drew Craig.

SPAWN SCORCHED #18

TORRENT #4

W0RLDTR33 #2

MARVELS

ALIEN #2

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #26

Story: Zeb Wells | Art/Cover: John Romita Jr. | Variants: Simone Bianchi, Pepe Larraz, David Talaski | 40 pages | Teen | $4.99

It’s the most shocking issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN in fifty years, and fans will have a chance to grab it with covers by some of the industry’s hottest artists! Today, Pepe Larraz’ variant cover for AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #26 is revealed and this breathtaking piece of Peter Parker swinging high above the city is the perfect companion to what promises to be a groundbreaking issue. The issue will be a key turning point in Zeb Wells and John Romita Jr.’s run and send shockwaves throughout the Marvel Universe.

With the secret of what Peter did finally revealed, the Emissary has returned with power far beyond Spider-Man's abilities. The heroes may figure out a way to win, but the cost of victory will be so immense that you may hope they don't...

AVENGERS BEYOND #3 (OF 5)

BETSY BRADDOCK: CAPTAIN BRITAIN #4

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #13

Story: Tochi Onyebuchi | Art/Cover: R.B. Silva | Variant: Pete Woods | Teen+ | $3.99

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #13, White Wolf’s latest trap has left the Captains America barely standing, and Sam Wilson is hesitant to push the team toward certain death without a backup plan. But Steve Rogers will stop at nothing to rescue his son — even if it means taking down one of his closest friends!

• "Cold War" Part 4
  • Where did Sam get his shield? Wakanda?

CAPTAIN MARVEL BY THOMPSON OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

CARNAGE #13

Story: Alex Paknadel | Art: Francesco Manna | Cover: Kendrick “Kunkka” Lim | Variants  Ryan Stegman, Skan, Taurin Clarke | Teen+ | $3.99

Miles Morales is about to swing into his darkest battle yet as he finds himself prey to the most terrifying villain in the Marvel Universe: CARNAGE! Original Carnage host Cletus Kasady is back and more powerful and bloodthirsty than ever before! And he has a score to settle with Miles — and with all of New York City! Part of the overarching SUMMER OF SYMBIOTES, an entire season of symbiote insanity, the two iconic characters will go head-to-head this May in CARNAGE REIGNS, a brutal crossover between their respective ongoing titles as well as the new symbiote series starring Normie Osborn, RED GOBLIN.

Crafted by Carnage writer Alex Paknadel and Miles Morales: Spider-Man writer Cody Ziglar and featuring art by Julius Ohta, Jan Bazaldua, Federico Vicentini and Francesco Manna, the seven-part epic kicks off in May with a giant-sized one-shot, CARNAGE REIGNS ALPHA #1. This visceral saga promises to be one of Miles’ most intense stories as Carnage forces the young hero to confront brutality he’s never experienced in his time as Spider-Man. Right now, fans can see what awaits in June including the finale one-shot, CARNAGE REIGNS OMEGA #1.

• “Carnage Reigns” Part 3

CARNAGE VOL 2: CARNAGE IN HELL TP

CLOBBERIN TIME #3 (OF 5)

DAREDEVIL OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

DEADPOOL #7

DOCTOR STRANGE #3

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #2 (OF 4)

Story: David Hein, more | Art: Luciano Vecchio, more | Covers: Patrick Brown, Josemaria Casanovas | Teen+ | $4.99

SPINSTRESS sings her way into the biggest fight of her life!

• "Edge of Spider-Verse" Part 2.

MMW AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VOL 1 (REMASTERWORKS) HC

For more than 30 years, Marvel Comics has collected the seminal stories of the Marvel Universe in MARVEL MASTERWORKS — and now, 330 volumes later, Marvel is proud to welcome fans to MARVEL REMASTERWORKS! By popular demand, the Remasterworks will be new printings of early Marvel Masterworks, now with improved restoration and expanded bonus material including scans of original art, essays and covers from other collections of the material, house ads, creator bios, and more! Dedicated to Marvel fans, these are the comics that built the Marvel Comics mythology and represent Marvel’s latest step in preserving its treasured history.

MARVEL REMASTERWORKS will debut next year starting with MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VOL. 1, which includes scans of the original artwork to Amazing Fantasy #15, and followed by MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE FANTASTIC FOUR VOL. 1 and MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE X-MEN VOL. 1. If you missed purchasing these historic early volumes of the Marvel Masterworks line the first time around, now is your chance to own them! With plans to do only a single printing of each volume, don’t miss your opportunity to have these must-have Marvel Comics collections, now in at their utmost glory! 

• My originals are yellowing considerably. But I think I should stop buying the these stories at some point. I must have five sets in different formats at this point.

PUNISHER #12

SGT FURY EPIC COLLECTION: BERLIN BREAKOUT TP

Story: Stan Lee, Roy Thomas | Art: Dick Ayers | Cover: Jack Kirby | Teen | $39.99

Ready yourself for all-out action against the Axis powers in the Mighty Marvel manner!

Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos embark on exciting World War II adventures — including a mission to protect the Manhattan Project and the atom bomb against Nazi spies and saboteurs, uprooting an undercover agent who is none other than the Red Skull, confronting a traitor in their own ranks, and going mano a mano with Baron Strucker in war-torn France! And that's just for starters! This volume also features the origin of Nick Fury's eyepatch, Dum Dum Dugan going it alone behind enemy lines, and the story that spurred the concept for the film Inglorious Basterds!

Topping it off, we're including a rare Nick Fury adventure from the Korean War — and the story of Fury's promotion from sergeant to second lieutenant! Collecting SGT. FURY #20-36 and ANNUAL #1-2.

• If you bought the Marvel Masterworks Sgt. Furies, then you know the series petered out after Volume 3, which reprinted through Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos #32 and Annual #2. This book carries the reprints four issues further, which may be worth your while as a completist, or you may just wait for the next one, when John Severin makes his Sgt. Fury debut. It was Severin that got me to finally start collecting this (preposterous) book back in the day, and any issue without him was a disappointment to the Li'l Capn. But he did plenty, even if it was only inks over Dick Ayers, before the title gave up the ghost and went reprint.
  • Also, Gary Friedrich took over the scripting with issue #39, and while it took him a minute to get his feet under him, he dropped the formulaic approach of his predecessors and starting having multi-issue adventures of various characters trapped behind enemy lines, or getting court-martialed, of surprise betrayals and vagaries of war. He also began the much-heralded "The" series, where he focused on a single, unique character instead of one of the Howlers (who, let's face it, had already been shown to survive the war). It wasn't any more plausible, if that's your Fury hang-up, but it was more interesting. Those stories should start in Vol. 4.

SHE-HULK BY RAINBOW ROWELL VOL 2: JEN OF HEARTS TP

SHE-HULK EPIC COLLECTION: COSMIC SQUISH PRINCIPLE TP

SILVER SURFER: GHOST LIGHT #4

SPIDER-MAN 2099: DARK GENESIS #5 (OF 5)

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Justin Mason | Cover: Nick Bradshaw | Variants: Ken Lashley, Rod Reis, Justin Mason | Teen+ | $3.99

THE LAST STAND!

SPIDER-MAN 2099! VENOM 2099! DAREDEVIL 2099! BLADE 2099! PUNISHER 2099! MOON KNIGHT 2099! SPIDER-WOMAN 2099! GHOST RIDER 2099! They all must face the horror of HALLOWEEN JACK, CARNAGE 2099 and his hive army!

But DEATH will fall on BOTH sides?

• "Dark Genesis" Part 5

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #32

STAR WARS: LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION -- ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS VOL 6 TP

STAR WARS: SANA STARROS #4

VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR II #3 (OF 5)

Story: David Michelinie | Art: Farid Karami | Cover: Paulo Siqueira, Variants: Francesco Manna, Philip Tan | Teen+ | $3.99

VENOM — AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D.?!

VENOM has  joined international super-spy SILVER SABLE’s WILD PACK, but to stop planet-killing tech from falling into the wrong hands — they’ll have to play by Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D.’s rules! But when New York City falls under attack, Venom may be S.H.I.E.L.D.’s only hope! And there’s a new player in the game — DOCTOR DOOM has his own plans for the tech — and for Venom!

• "Summer of Symbiotes" tie-in.
  • An homage to Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #4.

X-23: DEADLY REGENESIS #3 (OF 5)

X-FORCE BY BENJAMIN PERCY VOL 2 HC

X-MEN '92: THE SAGA CONTINUES TP

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX SAGA TP

MORE COMICS

ALLEY OOP RACES BLARNEY GOLDFIELD TP

• Heads up, comics strip fans!

AMERICAN DREAMS #2 (OF 5) 

ANCIENT ENEMIES #4 (OF 6) 

ASCENDANT: STAR-SPANGLED SQUADRON GN

Story: Alexander Marcus, David Campiti | Art: Mel Joy San Juan, Will Conrad, Jinky Coronado | Baen Books | $18.99

In December 2012, The U.S. government launched. secret program to create superhumans called Ascendants. In July 2018, the U.S. government lost control over them. Now, America enters a new era in which ordinary men and women can become the heroes we need ... or the monsters we fear. When firefighter Bill Goddard raced into a blazing building to rescue trapped children, he expected to die. Instead, he became something more than human-the nation's first ascendant. Now known as American Eagle, Bill must assemble a team of other ascended heroes to defend the country from villainous forces intent on wreaking chaos and destruction. But the process of ascension is fraught with peril, and not everyone emerges with their mind and morality unscathed. In America's hour of need, who will answer the call? And can they do what it takes to protect the nation without sacrificing the values they've sworn to uphold?

• Is there a single original idea anywhere in here?

AZZA THE BARBED #5 (OF 5)

BARBARIC: HELL TO PAY #4 

BEN MORTARA AND THIEVES OF GOLDEN TABLE #2 (OF 4)

BLUE FLAME COMPLETE SERIES TP

BONES OF THE GODS #4 (OF 6)

BROTHERS AND MOTHERS GN

Story/Art: Jim Blanchard | Fantagraphics | 144 pages | $30.00

Artist. Illustrator. Designer. Cartoonist. Inker. Reprobate. Jim Blanchard has tilled many fields across his 40 year artistic career, but perhaps the most widely-seen are his portraits, often commissioned for magazine illustrations. Brothers and Mothers collects more than 130 of his compelling, detailed illustrations of rock stars, actors, neighborhood eccentrics and dogs, spanning the last 20 years. Rendered in a range of styles from pointillism to pencil and wash, Blanchard expands from photographs to instill added dynamism, allegorical or abstract backgrounds, and often creates an impression more "real" than the photograph itself.

CAT FIGHT #1 (OF 6)

Story: Andrew Wheeler | Art: Ilias Kyriazis | Covers: Ilias Kyriazis, Morgan Beem, Alex Moore, Veronica Fish, Sweeney Boo | IDW-PRH | $3.99

IDW is proud to announce the explosive upcoming debut of Cat Fight, a stylish six-issue miniseries with an elegant feline flair! Cat Fight follows a debonaire jewel thief whose decadent sensibilities and taste for high-powered thrills inadvertently lead him down a path of illicit intrigue. Debuting in May 2023, Cat Fight is written by recent GLAAD Media Award nominee and Eisner Award winner Andrew Wheeler (Sins of the Black Flamingo) with art by Ilias Kyriazis (Collapser), inks by Auguste, and colors by Dennis Yatras.

Caught up in the glamor and excessive lifestyle of an international career criminal, Felix Lamarr lives only for the thrill of the next big score. Suddenly contacted by his estranged and wealthy grandmother, he is shocked to learn that she is a storied career criminal herself — the lithe and legendary burglar Kitty Midnight — and that she wants him to partner with her cat-themed associates on a lucrative upcoming heist. Unaccustomed to collaboration, Felix declines Kitty’s offer…but a shocking incident sends his life into a sudden, chaotic tailspin. Framed for murder and on the run from a mysterious syndicate, he leaps at full-throttle from one international hot spot to the next in a deadly game of cat and mouse!

“I’m so excited for readers to escape into our world of glamorous adventure! Cat Fight is an action thriller about family and connection in an age of disconnection, a vacation from gray skies and ordinary lives,” says Wheeler. “The art team has done an incredible job bringing this breakneck ride to life. It's John Wick meets Kill Bill meets … well, Cats!”

“The most exciting part of working on Cat Fight has been drawing breakneck, globe-trotting action sequences in collaboration with Avgo and Dennis Yatras, two incredibly talented Greek artists that I’ve had my eye on for some time now,” says Kyriazis. “Plus, I really do enjoy drawing cats … even though I suspect it may have made my own cat jealous.”

“Cat Fight mixes suave characters, fashion, and the chaotic claws of cat-themed jewel thieves, all under the watch of an Eartha Kitt–inspired leading lady… so the second this pitch came across my desk, I knew it would be a hit,” says senior editor Heather Antos. “Mix that with Andrew’s clear vision for the series and Ilias’s cleverly crafted visual storytelling alongside Dennis and Avgo’s finishes, and we’ve got a fun and colorful litter that no one can deny.”

CIH PRESENTS AVERSIONS ONE SHOT

• An Avengers #57 homage. I usually like them, but when Dave Sim does it, it feels like desecration.

CURSE OF CLEAVER COUNTY #2

DAHLIA IN THE DARK #6 (OF 6) 

DEEP DARK #2 (OF 4) (MR)

DESTINY COMIC COLLECTION HC

Story: Mark Waid, Ryan North | Bungie Inc. | $19.99

The Destiny Comic Collection Vol. One is an essential collection of comic stories for Destiny fans. This 144-page volume includes Bungie's comic collection plus never before seen stories, behind the scenes galleries, and exclusive content from featured artists! From Osiris's exile to Ana Bray's homecoming on Mars, uncover the legends behind Destiny 2's iconic characters. Featuring stories written and illustrated in collaboration with Bungie by Ryan North, Kris Anka and Mark Waid, plus a special introduction by Gerry Duggan. Includes one of two collectible bookmarks printed with the Destiny 2 "Heroes of the Light" emblem code inserted inside the book.

DOG BOY: CHOICE CUTS & HAPPY ENDINGS TP 

DOOR TO DOOR NIGHT BY NIGHT #6

END AFTER END VOL 1 TP

FAITHLESS HC DLX ED

FANTOMAH SEASON 2 #1

Story: Ray Fawkes | Art: Soo Lee | Cover: Djibril Morissette-Phan | Lev Gleason-Comic House | $5.99

Paz Gallegos is on the run. She's alone, confused, and convinced that she's endangering her loved ones because she can't control Fantomah, her monstrous alter-ego. Paz has hit the road without a plan or a destination, but she can't resist Fantomah's need to defend-or avenge-the unprotected. While Fantomah forces Paz further down the road of deadly vengeance, Dr. Destine and his bodyguard Rugged pick up her trail-but are they allies or enemies?

• I confess I'm curious how they've made sense of this bizarre Fletcher Hanks character. Or if they've even tried!

FLIC TRUE STORY OF JOURNALIST WHO INFILTRATED POLICE GN

Story: Valentin Gendrot, Frank Wynne | Art:  Thierry Chavant | Scribe Publications | $25.00

What happens behind the walls of a police station? In order to answer this question, undercover journalist Valentin Gendrot puts his life on hold for two years. He decides to undertake training and become a police officer. Several months later, Gendrot is working in a police station in one of the tough northern arrondissements of Paris, where relations between the law and locals are strained. Asking important questions about who holds institutional power and how we can hold them to account, Flic is a gripping exposé of a world never before seen by outsiders.

• I wonder if anyone would dare do this in the U.S. It probably wouldn't end well for them.

FRANKLIN AND GHOST #1 (OF 8)

Story: Garrett Gunn | Art: Nic Touris | Cover: Marcelo Trom | Source Point Press | $4.99

In anticipation of the upcoming animated series, Franklin and Ghost are back, re-mastered in a brand new format! In a last-ditch effort to see more of the universe before accepting their inevitably boring lives as miners on their home planet Defilion, Franklin and Ghost steal a ship and head out for one last adventure. When they accidentally crash to Earth, they seek shelter in the bodies of a couple unsuspecting hosts. Hell bent on having a good time, they start a rage-filled quest putting them on the radar of galactic police forces.

FRIDA KAHLO HER LIFE HER ART HER HOME GN

Story/Art: Francisco De La Mora | SelfMadeHero | $18.99

Frida Kahlo, remembered as one of the most inspiring personalities of the 20th century, was a woman of two intertwined parts: she was both a charismatic and empowered artist exploring themes of resistance, authenticity, cruelty, and suffering, and a more private person whose wounded body caused her a lifetime of pain that underpinned the many successes and disappointments that marked her time in the world. Revealing and exploring these two Fridas, Francisco de la Mora's graphic biography-completed with the endorsement and support of the Frida Kahlo Museum in Mexico City-allows the reader to see just how far ahead of her time this complex artist was in her understanding of gender inequality and the culture of machismo, topics that remain relevant to this day and continue to lend resonance to Kahlo's painting.

• I always feel dumb when some book comes out about a famous person I've never heard of. But then I remember I that I know the home planets of all the Legion of Super-Heroes, and whoever wrote this doesn't, and I feel better about myself.

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #72

JOHN CARPENTER'S TALES SCIENCE FICTION: THE ENVOY #2 (OF 3)

KNEE DEEP TP BOOK 01

LA MUERTA INFINITYVERSE #1 PREMIERE EDITION

Story/Art: Joel Gomez | Coffin Comics | Mature | $15.00

La Muerta: Infinityverse #1 Premiere Edition contains 28 full-color pages of Infinityverse-themed La Muerta imagery by series artist Joel Gomez!

• So pictures but no story? Boo!

LADY DEATH DIABOLICAL HARVEST #1 (OF 2)

LADY DEATH NECROTIC GENESIS #1 (OF 2)

THE LEGION OF EXCEPTIONAL GORILLA MEN #1

Story: Alexander Banchitta | Art: Gerardo Gambone | Covers Robert Ahmad, Buz Hasson, Jorge Pacheco | American Mythology | $3.99

When the world is in danger and no mere mortal man can save it, we need the only super group in the ape nation: the Legion of Exceptional Gorilla Men! 

Beginning with DC’s Strange Adventures #8 (May 1951) under the guidance of one of the true legends of the art form, editor Julius Schwartz, for decades gorillas on the cover turned issues into best-sellers. American Mythology is doing our best to take that notion one better and provide readers with a full issue featuring an entire team of the simians!

Gorillas with powers beyond the wildest dreams of an ordinary chimp join forces to save their captured comrades from a diabolically evil mad scientist, Dr. Fang. Despite their exceptional abilities, the question remains; can they set aside their savage instincts for the good of gorilla-kind? Or will they slip on the banana peel of destiny?

• I wish they actually could lift the actual DC gorillas that made this trend famous. Gorilla Grodd (Flash), Sam Simeon (Angel and the Ape), Mod Gorilla Boss (Animal Man), the "Ruth, please believe me! I am the victim of a terrible scientific experiment!" guy (suspense books), M'sieu Mallah (Doom Patrol), Gorilla Boss of Gotham City (Batman), etc. The argument over who would be in charge would be worth the price of admission.

LISTEN, BEAUTIFUL MÁRCIA GN

Story/Art: Marcello Quintanilha | Fantagraphics | 128 pages | $29.99

A gripping story about a family pushed to the brink.

This English language debut was the 2022 "Fauve d'Or" winner at the 2022 Angoulême Comics Festival.

Márcia is a nurse in a hospital near Rio and lives in a favela with her boyfriend, Aluisio, and her daughter, Jaqueline, whom she had very young with another man. Jaqueline, a troubled young adult, makes life difficult for her mother and Aluisio and rebelliously hangs out with members of a neighborhood gang, leading to violent altercations between mother and daughter. The situation degenerates even more when Jaqueline is arrested. Márcia and Aluisio, distraught, realize that Jaqueline is in deeper trouble than they ever thought.

Listen, Beautiful Márcia is a fast-paced, flamboyantly colorful new graphic novel by one of the most important Brazilian graphic novelists working today. Marcello Quintanilha's first English-language graphic novel is a tour de force — a tightly wound drama filled with masterful suspense and a deep love for family and character.

Marcello Quintanilha was born in 1971 outside Rio de Janeiro. His first graphic novel, Tungsteno, published in 2015, was adapted for film by director Heitor Dhalia. He has lived in Barcelona since 2002.

PRAISE

"A very beautiful portrait of a mother's courage." — Rolling Stone

"A virtuoso of storytelling in images, Quantanilha admirably portrays ordinary individuals caught in situations that are not ordinary." — Telerama

"We laugh, we cry when reading this amazing graphic object, illuminated with carnivalesque colors that accentuate the gap between comedy and tragedy." — Le Monde

"A powerful graphic novel... Both a raw picture of the Brazilian working class and a beautiful story of filial love." — Livres Hebdo

• Brazilian! I know very little about Brazil.
  • Here's a preview.

MINDSET: THE COMPLETE SERIES TP

Story: Zack Kaplan | Art/Cover: John Pearson | Vault | $19.99

MAD MEN to MIND MEN

The evolution of device mind control … and why we’re helpless to stop it.

By Zack Kaplan

It was not until March 1648 that the first advertisement appeared in print in England’s Imperial Intelligencer. About 250 years later, the average magazine had over 100 advertisements, and the average American received over 100 periodicals a year. From Harpers, Cosmo to the Saturday Evening Post, these publications now made their money, not from purchases, but from ADs. Humanity has slowly, but effectively, perfected the concept of repeat imprinting on consumers.

But there was one facet missing: psychology.

In 1895, psychologist Harlow Gale published his theories on the process of persuasion in ads and the effects of ads on attention and memory, concluding there were “unconscious attitude formations.” A few decades later, in the 1960s, Madison Avenue became the center for using psychological manipulation in powerful ad campaigns. Catchy slogans, smiling celebrities and subliminal messages all took off to “double your pleasure, double your fun!“ The fix was in.

But still, the tools were primitive. Consumers could turn off the radio and walk away from the TV. What “they” needed was a way to prevent the consumer from controlling the means of delivery.

“Every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along those changes everything.”

Steve Jobs, unveiled the iPhone on Jan 9, 2007. The smart phone was born, and we were doomed.

The smart phone was always with us, and the tech companies went to work spending millions to study our everyday behavior and decisions. Every consider why push notifications are red? Why likes are hearts? Why the next suggested video is just like the one you watched? Every touch, sound and aspect of our steel cage experience is to ensure we always respond to their beep.

But all of that alone is not enough to compete the mind control circle.

For that, we turn to our sci-fi thriller MINDSET, from Vault Comics, by myself, John Pearson and Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou. In our story, a young grad student, Ben Sharp, longs to make a name for himself in the tech industry. But Ben has grown disillusioned with the manipulative practices of Silicon Valley to farm our data and sell our attention. He longs to do something meaningful.

Then Ben and his friends discover a form of real mind control. They decided to put it in a meditation app to help people combat the corruption by tech companies. By all accounts, Ben Sharp is the perfect hero to save us from this technological plague. But there’s a problem: the central drama of our story. Ben lacks influence. And Ben has been raised by social media.

The final nail in our coffin. The invention of social media and its cross-pollination with advertising. Social web platforms had been around since the internet itself, but Facebook change the system by making it a game of influence between you and your friends. The rival social platforms were happy to follow suit and offer the same challenge. Who could have more friends, more likes, more fun, a better life and more influence?

Now advertisers had the perfect mechanism to deliver their slogans. You friend would do for free and the farce would seem like reality. And you would answer the beep and face a choice.

Our entire world has adopted a sociological system of behavior and communication. We will depend on our devices, post our lives on our phones and view other people’s lives on social media. It’s decided. No going back. So what do we do about it?

Do you banish yourself from modern society or do you play the mind control game to feel loved?

Consumers are now always on their phones, chasing that endorphin rush of feeling popular and persuasive, doom scrolling for some video or post that will make us feel connected or valued. And corporate advertisers and tech companies can take our every habit, analyze our every click and perfect their methods to deliver the most subliminal ad for the most engaged viewer.

In the past year, it seems the veil has truly been lifted over the phenomenon. Most consumers are now aware that their apps are reporting on them and they’re being conditioned to be more addicted to their devices. They know they are online too much, doom scrolling without the rational ability to stop. But despite knowing, the swipes and clicks continue.

This is what we hoped to present and explore in MINDSET, this existential dilemma that we all face today. How do we engage without being controlled? How do we maintain our ideals and values, and dare we say, our identities, hell, our damn humanity, without being mind-controlled.

Are we doomed to perpetual technological mind control?

Want the answer?

Then try MINDSET, from Vault Comics, the mind-control thriller that promises to double your pleasure, double your fun! Share it online with your friends and taste the influence yourself.

MY BAD: THIRTY MINUTES OR DEAD TP

Story: Mark Russell, Bryce Ingman | Art/Cover: Peter Krause | Ahoy | $17.99

Someone in Gravel City is killing caped heroes — or would be, if they were better at it. Can they draw the arrogant, self-deluding crimefighter The Chandelier out of retirement? My Bad Volume 2: Thirty Minutes or Dead features an outrageous array of heroes and villains tripping over themselves, accidentally scarring their enemies for life, and going on hideously embarrassing dates. Featuring Dr. Do-Over, Steel Integrity, Good Karen, Monkeyman, and everyone's favorite homicidal rascal: Acid Chimp!

Collecting the second season of the absurdly funny superhero and villain parody.

Not yet convinced you need MY BAD in your life? If it were up to me I would grab you by the shoulders and give you a good shake to knock some sense into that impenetrably thick skull of yours, but I'm being told that threatening potential readers with violence is "not a good look," so instead I'm going to barrage you with a slew of complimentary pull quotes to try and change your mind.

“AHOY's hilarious universe is back and as funny as ever. … One of the best modern spoofs on superhero fiction. My Bad is the sort of comic that both superhero lovers and haters can both get a kick out of.” — SCREENRANT

“Imagine a world filled with superheroes who have very familiar characteristics … they’re just much sillier than you’re used to. … It’s not afraid to get super-ridiculous.” — SUPERHERO HYPE

“One of — if not the — funniest superhero parodies I’ve ever read. ... This book is absurdly clever, just packed with quick visual gags and one-liners within a parody framework that is also engaging. I can’t recommend this one enough.” — COMICS BEAT

My Bad: Volume 2 #1 is both what you want and need from a humor comic. ... It captures what made us comic readers in the first place while delivering those laughs. … A superhero satire that's actually funny.” — AIPT

“Built on a love of the genre and what makes heroes and villains larger than life. … It’s hard to read My Bad: Volume 2 #1 and not smile and laugh. … A silly love letter to superheroes that loves its genre and has no problem making fun of it too.”—GRAPHIC POLICY

“A hilarious take on superheroes” — BEARDED COMIC BRO

“A comic book series that, in my opinion, easily rivals The Boys when it comes to parodying the superhero genre” — THE GEEKIARY

Still not convinced? Alright, here come the big guns: a redhead in a tracksuit punching a giant space lizard while a super-jacked President John Adams holds back his arms and a chimpanzee films it. I mean, come on. You know you want to read this book.

• Heads up, Ahoy fans!
  • Does track suit guy really think a dinosaur is going to be hurt by a human right jab? He will probably remember it, though, and he probably has teeth bigger than that guy's fist.

MYTHADVENTURES COLLECTED GN

NEVERENDER FINAL DUELS #3 (OF 3) 

NIGHTWALKERS #4 (OF 5) 

NORTH VALLEY GRIMOIRE #1 (OF 6) 

Story: Blake Northcott | Art: Giuseppe Cafaro | Cover: Fay Dalton | Whatnot | $3.99

Fay Dalton is the artist behind the glamorous illustrations on Ian Fleming's 007 (Hard Case Crime).

Her iconic style amplifies the classic spycraft at the heart of THE NORTH VALLEY GRIMOIRE.

SPYCRAFT MEETS SPELLCRAFT in North Valley: a slick, James Bond-style adventure fused with the supernatural suspense of The Magicians.

In this thrilling debut, a CIA black-ops division clandestinely hunts — and eliminates — the most dangerous threat in history: MAGICK.

On a routine assignment, Agent Malek discovers a grimoire more powerful than a nuclear weapon ... but when The Agency wants to recover the spellbook instead of destroy it, he begins to question their endgame.

Written by bestselling author Blake Northcott (Catwoman) with art by Giuseppe Cafaro (Suicide Squad), The North Valley Grimoire is an enchanted tale of espionage like none other.

• My "pretentious" alarm always goes off when someone spells "magic" as "magick."
  • Here's a preview.

OUT OF MY HEAD: THE IMAGINARY CREATURES OF JOSEP BAQUÉ GN

Story/Art: Brian Chidester | Fantagraphics | 528 pages | $49.99

Out of My Head: The Imaginary Creatures of Josep Baqué tells the unbelievable story of a World War II-era police officer in Barcelona who in his private time created 1500 imaginary creatures and told not a soul about them.

In this first-ever critical biography of Baqué, art historian, author, and curator Brian Chidester reflects the artist and his creation through the prism of 20th century art, the Franco dictatorship in Spain (1939-75), and the few correlative records in Baqué's personal archive.

Yet the book doubles as a manual of sorts on the creative process, and most fascinatingly, speaks to the deeper role the imagination plays in overcoming oppression through wonder.

PEARLS BEFORE SWINE: PEARLS SEEK ENLIGHTENMENT TP

Story/Art: Stephan Pastis | Andrews McMeel | $19.99

Stephan Pastis is no ordinary cartoonist. In his two decades of writing and illustrating the blockbuster daily comic strip Pearls Before Swine, the award-winning humorist has traveled the globe, co-written a film for Disney+, and authored several hit book series, but always stopped short of total enlightenment-until now! Throughout the 256 pages of this treasury, Pastis provides commentary on each and every comic strip, along with photos, behind-the-scenes insights on the creative process, and meditations on how the tumultuous past two years have affected his life and work. Loyal readers and comics fans of all ages will be rewarded for digging into the uplifting, enlightening, and downright hilarious pages of the newest Pearls Before Swine treasury.

• Heads up, comic strip fans!

POPSCARS #3 (OF 6) 

RAWHEAD REBORN #1

Story: Alexander Banchitta | Art: Ev Cantada | Cover: Roy Allen Martinez | American Mythology | Mature | $3.99

A dying man utters a name which curses his killers and seals their fates ... Rawhead. One by one they begin dying in strange and gruesome ways, until there's only two left. The remaining survivors struggle with what to do next and wonder is it all a coincidence? Or is there really something that's out to get them?

• Ooh, ick, D.M.

ROACHMILL #3

ROBYN HOOD: SPAWN OF NYARLATHOTEP 

THE ROCKETEER ONE-SHOT

Story: Danny Bilson, De Meo, Paul, Robert Windom, Kelvin Mao | Art: Jae Lee, Craig Cermak | Covers: Adam Hughes, Gabriel Rodríguez | IDW-RPH | $4.99

Dave Stevens’ two-fisted triumph soars again at IDW with the May release of The Rocketeer one-shot, an anthology of three tales by an astonishing assemblage of comic-industry heavyweights!

The development of this new Rocketeer comic project began during the making of the documentary Dave Stevens: Drawn to Perfection, when filmmaker Kelvin Mao discovered that Danny Bilson and the late Paul De Meo, the original screenwriters of the 1991 The Rocketeer film, had written an unpublished Rocketeer comic book story guest starring aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart some years earlier. Mao, along with the film’s executive producer Robert Windom, approached superstar Adam Hughes to illustrate the tale, and the project evolved into a celebratory one-shot anthology edited by Scott Dunbier.

“What an amazing gift born out of making Dave Stevens: Drawn to Perfection! It’s been a singular privilege collaborating with some of Dave’s longtime pals on a bonafide Rocketeer comic,” says Mao.

“The Amelia story was written by Paul and me as a tribute to Dave. Now it serves as a tribute to both of them,” says Bilson. “We’re very honored to have Adam bring it to life.”

“The Rocketeer, my favorite flying hero, has got a dish of a girlfriend, an unnecessarily cool outfit, and great hair. You’d hate someone like that in real life, but as a comic book character, he’s aces!" says Hughes.

The Rocketeer one-shot includes the aforementioned eight-page story by Bilson, De Meo, and Hughes; a 12-page story of Cliff Secord’s date night with Betty leading to trouble with a vaguely familiar adventurer/archeologist, written by Mao, drawn by Craig Cermak (Elvira, Mistress of the Dark), and colored by award-winning Laura Martin; a four-page story of the Rocketeer fighting a Japanese Zero in the South Pacific, written by Robert Windom (Seven Sons), drawn by the fan favorite Jae Lee (Batman/Superman), and colored by June Chung; pinups by Phil Noto (Black Widow) and Maria Laura Sanapo; and more!

“The short story that Jae and I created is intended to be a dreamy contemplation on life and love, but with some great Rocketeer action and Betty, of course! Jae’s ethereal style is a perfect fit for it,” says Windom.

“It was a huge honor contributing art for this project. Dave Stevens has been an inspiration to me since I first saw his work. He’s captured the beauty of a time period that is forever golden,” says Lee.

“As a fan of Dave Stevens’ The Rocketeer since day one, I’m thrilled to see this book come to life. Bilson & De Meo, Mao, and Windom have all captured the feel of Cliff, Betty, Peevy, and the rest. And the art. … To quote a famous Rocketeer page … ‘WOW!’” says Dunbier.

• Without Dave Stevens, I don't find Rocketeer very interesting. 

SANJULIAN: QUEENS OF THE LOST WORLD #1 

Story: John Reppion, Leah Moore | Art/Cover: Ariel Olivetti | Opus Comics | $4.99

Legendary Spanish artist Sanjulián is known throughout the world for his beautiful and haunting covers for Creepy, Eerie, Famous Monsters, Vampirella and many more. Now his most vivid paintings are coming to life in Queens of The Lost World, in this collaboration with the master himself! Written by Leah Moore & John Reppion (Doctor Who) with art by Silvia Califano (Star Trek: Year Five), this ongoing series features characters inspired by iconic paintings like "Dragon Queen", "Warrior", and "Glass of Death" in a thrilling fantasy adventure!

• Apparently in Spain, as everywhere else, the first rule for a woman warrior is to wear as little protective clothing as possible.

SANTOS SISTERS #4 

SERENO #1

Story/Art: Luciano Vecchio | CEX Publishing | $5.99

Meet Sereno, the Mystic Master of Light and guardian of New Teia, a city where magic and science intertwine by night! An avatar of collective Paranoia, a shepherd of Nightmares, and a Cult of Hate are just the start of an evil conspiracy transforming the city. Can Sereno fight back while keeping super cat burglar Rufián from stealing ... his heart?

• I thought this came out once already.

SILENCE #2 (OF 5)

STAR TREK ANNUAL 2023

Story: Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing | Art/Cover: Rachael Stott | IDW-PRH | $5.99

Join the writers behind the critically acclaimed Star Trek series for an exciting romp through the history of Star Trek! The Theseus crew finally get a chance to relax. But just as everyone settles down, a strange signal comes in with a message that reads, "Mr. Scott. We have a problem. Bring help.- Jim." Upon finding the source of the signal, the Theseus bridge crew step into a fully activated holodeck recreating the bridge of the original U.S.S. Enterprise complete with a "discovery" of some "strange new" guest stars!

• Definitely too many captains in the kitchen.
  • All these Star Trek books list IDW-PRH as publisher.

STAR TREK: MIRROR WAR TP

STAR TREK: PICARD — STARGAZER TP

STAR TREK: WARRIORS OF THE MIRROR WAR TP

STARMAN: DAVID BOWIE'S ZIGGY STARDUST YEARS GN

Story/Art: Reinhard Kleist | SelfMadeHero | $19.99

In 1972, the rock 'n' roll messiah Ziggy Stardust was born. His provocative play on sexual identity and gender roles laid the foundation for David Bowie's ascent to legendary status as one of the most successful pop musicians of all time. Reinhard Kleist weaves the gripping tale of this dazzling character's genesis, tracing both Bowie's hapless efforts on the London music scene before Ziggy's conception and his struggles with his own creation at the height of his fame. As Bowie transforms himself, ever more dizzyingly, into a self-portrait of an egocentric rock star, his extravagant lifestyle threatens to bring the real world collapsing around his ears. This publication has not been prepared, approved, authorized or licensed by the David Bowie estate or any related entity.

• When I was growing up, Bowie wasn't a big deal in my neck of the woods — he didn't get much airplay in Memphis, and my friends didn't buy his albums. He was always something of a mystery to me. Of course, the more I found out about him, the more of a mystery he remained.

TALES FROM NOTTINGHAM #4

TALES FROM THE PANDEMIC

Story: Mario Candelaria, Danny Earls, James Ferguson | Art: Andy Michael, J. Paul Schiek, Randy Haldeman, Joe Hunter, Dan Buksa, Sachi Ediriweera, Laura Helsby, Adam Ferris | Cover: Skylar Patridge | Band of Bards | $6.99

An anthology of 8 stories to mark the third anniversary of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the world continues to try to make sense of these events, an extraordinary group of comics creators tell their tales in an attempt to express their feelings and experiences.

• There won't be any more of these, because thanks to a certain political party, come the next pandemic we're going to stand down and just let it kill us. I hope it's a grim-sounding disease, and not something silly like "monkeypox." It would be a sad coda for the human race if we died from something like "The Weasel Poop Virus."

TAO BANG HC 

Story: Daniel Pecqueur, Olivier Vatine | Art: Fred Blanchard | Art/Cover: Didier Cassegrain | Magnetic Press | Mature | $24.99

Ellora's business has been in freefall since the dragon sheikh Ad Arphax opened a competing brothel nearby. So she sets out with ruffian Norden to find the Isle of Mermaids, whose siren song should bring in the customers and put her back on top. But the journey is wrought with fantastic dangers, not the least of which is the Amazon pirate Tao Bang  an old acquaintance of Norden's  now in the employ of Ad Arphax...

• You know, the traditional way to deal with competition is a good old-fashioned price war. Ellora, price the shiekh out of business with cheap sex! I hear it's popular, especially among the youngs. And it's a renewable resource!

TOY #2

WEAPONS OF THE METABARON HC 

WILL EISNER'S BEST OF SPIRIT ARTISAN EDITION TP

ZOMBICIDE DAY ONE #4 (OF 4) 

MORE MANGA

A CONDITION OF LOVE VOL 3 GN

AM I ACTUALLY THE STRONGEST? VOL 3 GN

BLUE PERIOD VOL 13 GN

DO NOT SAY MYSTERY OMNIBUS VOL 1 GN

DUKE OF DEATH & HIS MAID VOL 6 GN

FIRE FORCE OMNIBUS VOL 4 VOL 7-9 GN

FRANKEN FRAN OMNIBUS VOL 1 GN

• I think I know what Seven Seas is selling here, and it's not Mary Shelley.

GREAT CLERIC VOL 3 GN

GREAT JAHY WILL NOT BE DEFEATED VOL 5 GN

HANA & HINA AFTER SCHOOL VOL 1 GN

I SAW IT GN

Story/Art: Keiji Nakazawa | Last Gasp | $9.99

Life in Hiroshima during the war was difficult for six-year-old Keiji and the Nakazawa family, but they made the best of it. On his way to school one bright August morning, Keiji was unaware his hometown would soon be turned into a world of horrors. That morning, he watched as a single airplane soared through the clear blue sky, carrying with it the most powerful weapon that had ever been created, the atomic bomb, code named "Little Boy." It was about to fall on Keiji's city, changing his life forever. This is the true story of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and its effects, seen through the eyes of cartoonist Keiji Nakazawa.

• This is famous, right? Or am I thinking of Barefoot Gen?

I'M STANDING ON MILLION LIVES VOL 14 GN

KITSUNE #3 (OF 6)

LADIES ON TOP VOL 3 GN

MY ROOM IS DUNGEON REST STOP VOL 6 GN

POLAR BEAR CAFE COLLECTED EDITION VOL 2 TP

SAKURAI SAN WANTS TO BE NOTICED VOL 4 GN

SERVAMP VOL 18 GN

SINOALICE VOL 3 GN

SKELETON KNIGHT IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 10 GN

STREET FIGHTER 6 #2 (OF 4)

Story/Art: Capcom, Panzer | Covers Joe Ng, Panzer | UDON | 48 pages | $5.99

Someone wants Ken Masters dead! Luckily the strongest woman in the world, Chun-Li, is on hand to keep her old friend safe. The epic storyline of Street Fighter 6 continues to unfold!

WITCHES OF ADAMAS VOL 5 GN

MORE KIDS

EXTINCTS VOL 2: FLIGHT OF THE MAMMOTH GN

FGTEEV OUT OF TIME GN

JURASSIC JEFF VOL 1: SPACE INVADER GN

NERVOUS REX #3 

TMNT SATURDAY MORNING ADV CONTINUED #1 

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #130

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Bill Golliher | Archie | $9.99

TWO BRAND NEW STORIES! First, in "Spring Breaking and Entering," Pureheart and Fly-Girl's plans for a fun spring break are foiled by the arrival of two villains, Smash & Grab! But will Pureheart be able to resist the allure of beach time in order to solve a crime?

Then, in "Can't Top This," Inferno is hot on the (balloon) tail of villain Kennel Kween, as the evildoer takes to the skies in a hot air balloon! Will he be able to take her down (literally!)?

• Two more superhero stories. If I get previews in time I'll add them.
  • The solicitation says the cover is by Bill Golliher, but it's by Dan Parent. I would probably like it if it were by Golliher.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• FRANKEN FRAN OMNIBUS VOL 1 GN

• I think I know what Seven Seas is selling here, and it's not Mary Shelley.

I've read these.  There is a fair amount of fan service, but beyond that, there are some entertaining medical horror stories here.

I SAW IT GN

Story/Art: Keiji Nakazawa | Last Gasp | $9.99

• This is famous, right? Or am I thinking of Barefoot Gen?

nakazawa's the guy that wrote Barefoot Gen. My understanding is that I Saw It is more straight autobiography than the more fictionalized Barefoot Gen.

• A lot of people think Franken Fran is the name of the monster, but it's really the name of the double-sided tape that keeps her clothes on.

• Actually, in this story, Fran is a "creature" and a doctor in her own right.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

A lot of people think Franken Fran is the name of the monster, but it's really the name of the double-sided tape that keeps her clothes on.

• "If you bought the Marvel Masterworks Sgt. Furies, then you know the series petered out after Volume 3"

I think you missed one, Cap. MMW Sgt. Fury v4 reprinted issues #33-43. I remember that it stopped a volume short of reprinting #48. Beau smith wrote such a glowing review of that issue that I've wanted to read it ever since. Both my primary and my secondary shops have it in stock, but both are priced higher than I want to spend on a single backissue. 

"An homage to Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #4."

"Again? But that trick never works!"

"Without Dave Stevens, I don't find Rocketeer very interesting."

Agreed. And I have tried.

• According to the GCD #48 was reprinted but two pages are missing.

11151026070?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Oh, I didn't think about the reprint. Thanks, Dave!

Of course, I may just follow Cap's lead and wait for the Epic Collection at this point.

• I wish I could steal this, but it's too layered. 

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

A lot of people think Franken Fran is the name of the monster, but it's really the name of the double-sided tape that keeps her clothes on.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

"If you bought the Marvel Masterworks Sgt. Furies, then you know the series petered out after Volume 3"

I think you missed one, Cap. MMW Sgt. Fury v4 reprinted issues #33-43.

I missed that one somehow. And now it costs more than $100 on Amazon. 

Since I have the originals -- I have the entire series, except for issues #1-3 -- I don't need this MMW. Or any of the Epic Collections. But I would like to have the entire series on HC on my bookshelf, as I imagined for the entire Silver Age when I was a boy. 

I will keep trying to do that or die. The latter will come first, I imagine.

• "I confess I'm curious how they've made sense of this bizarre Fletcher Hanks character."

I loves me some Fletcher Hanks, but I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Fantomah (or Stardust or any of his other characters) done by anyone other than him. There are some acts that just can't be followed.

• There are some acts that just can't be followed.

Agreed. My curiosity about today's Fantomah is of the casual variety.

This reply was deleted.