“Where am I? How did I get here?”

Those are Superman’s first thoughts from the beginning of Convergence #0. Those thoughts pretty much echo my own regarding the post-Flashpoint DCU. I’ve been left cold by crossovers before, but never have I been so completely turned off by a direction than I have by DC’s “New 52” (or “DCnU” if you prefer). At the end of the “zero” issue I was mildly surprised to discover there are a few universes I’m wholly unfamiliar. But I’ve been reading the advance solicitations, and while I find myself interested in a few of the “Pre-Flashpoint” and “Zero Hour” crossovers, I am interested in virtually all of the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossovers. (Of course, at least some effort (doomed as it may be) will have to be made to make them look like 1980s-era comics.)

Convergence proper starts today.

Let’s use this thread to discuss the main series and all the crossovers, shall we?

Views: 3155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wasn't Telos also the name of an indie comic by Mike Wieringo some time ago? Or Tellos, actually, with two Ls.

As for solicitation copy, there's nothing new about it presenting the worse-case scenario for the heroes. It doesn't mean they're all going to die.

PARALLAX #1: Long-time Legionnaires who recall my seminal posts to the old version of this board in defense of Hal Jordan will not be surprised to learn the first one of the spin-off series I bought was the Parallax one. It gets a big, fat “Meh” from me, though. First of all, it perpetuates the retcon that Hal Jordan murdered the entire GLC (instead of "only" a half dozen or so.) Second, even given that any comic book story can be easily overturned by editorial fiat, I’m still not real pleased with the premise of this crossover. Doesn’t it mean that the universes involved are “off the board” so to speak as far as any future use is concerned? And doesn’t that diminish the established “52” Universes? I liked the little “recap” of the character’s history at the end. The best thing about this issue was Bill Reinhold’s inking. I doubt I’ll buy the second issue of this one.

CONVERGENCE #2: This continues to be a continuation of the Earth-2 series and doesn’t hold much interest for me. I don’t think the writer does a particularly good job of which Earth/city is which. I’m seriously considering dropping this series, too, and putting all my support behind the COIE ones. Unlike most of the other realities involved in this crossover, pre-Crisis Earth-1 is a reality I never expected to see again, and having even just a city or two survive is more positive than for the other realities, which have every city except one destroyed. The one thing I did like about #2 was the meta-textual reference to Stan Lee: "...this world, born of a great creator whose time was short-lived but who moved on to serve his purpose on another planet!" That's kind of cool within the contect of Convergence, but it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in relation to the "Just Imagine" universe. Again I say "Meh."

Yeah, "Meh" is generous for the main Convergence series. I'm kicking myself for pre-ordering them.

On the other hand, the tie-ins are a joy so far. I only got Suicide Squad and Supergirl this time -- and I still haven't read Supergirl -- but every issue I've read feels like a reunion with old friends. Even creepy ones, like the Suicide Squad. (Which, btw, gives us classic Amanda Waller -- not only heavy, but also not the power-mad megalomaniac she'd been reduced to, but instead a concerned but ruthlessly pragmatic civil servant.)

As for what the series means to future use of the universes, Jeff, we'll see. They've been playing that pretty close to the vest. (My favorite theory is that Telos will be the world Earth 2: Society takes place on, and they'll be trying to knit together communities from all these different realities, a la the old John Stewart series, Mosaic.

Alas, DC didn't send me any review copies this week. So here's the official information for this week's, sans my reviews. (OK, everybody stop cheering).

CONVERGENCE #2

Written by JEFF KING

Art by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ

Cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

Variant cover by TONY S. DANIEL and MARK MORALES

1:25 Variant cover by JAE LEE

1:100 WONDER WOMAN sketch variant cover by DAVID FINCH

On sale APRIL 15 • 32 pg, FC, 2 of 8, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for more information.

As Telos, the Planet Incarnate, easily defeats the survivors of Earth 2, Thomas Wayne and Dick Grayson set off to find help in the pre-Flashpoint Gotham City. The emotional implication of these worlds colliding comes crashing down when Thomas Wayne confronts this world’s Batman, as father meets son!

Plus, Alan Scott’s attempts to connect with The Green yield unexpected results, setting our team on a quest to escape the planet. And the cyborgs of Futures End engage in a battle to the death against the reimagined heroes of the Just Imagine Universe, while the city of Superman Red and Blue takes on the opposing forces from GENERATIONS!

CONVERGENCE: AQUAMAN #1

Written by TONY BEDARD

Art by CLIFF RICHARDS

Cover by BECKY CLOONAN

Variant cover designed by CHIP KIDD

On sale APRIL 15 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Aquaman has lost his home, his powers, and his hand – but now he faces his most difficult challenge: a battle to the finish

with Deathblow!

CONVERGENCE: BATMAN: SHADOW OF THE BAT #1

Written by LARRY HAMA

Art by PHILIP TAN and JASON PAZ

Cover by PHILIP TAN

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Fresh out of recovery from a broken back, Bruce Wayne infiltrates the organized crime underworld, but the outlaw sent to test his mettle is none other than Azrael!

CONVERGENCE: CATWOMAN #1

Written by JUSTIN GRAY

Art by RON RANDALL

Cover by CLAIRE WENDLING

On sale APRIL 15 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T+

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! A year under the dome can change anyone – even Catwoman. She’s set aside her life of crime to become the protector of Suicide Slum, but when the dome falls she will face her greatest challenge: Kingdom Come Batman!

CONVERGENCE: GREEN ARROW #1

Written by CHRISTY MARX

Art by RAGS MORALES and CLAUDE ST-AUBIN

Cover by RAGS MORALES

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Don’t miss the first meeting between Oliver Queen and his son, Connor Hawke! Father and son may be united, but is their world about to end?

CONVERGENCE: GREEN LANTERN/PARALLAX #1

Written by TONY BEDARD

Art RON WAGNER and BILL REINHOLD

Cover by STEVE LIEBER

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! A powerless Kyle Rayner visits a Metropolis prison to see a devastated Hal Jordan who believes he has murdered the Green Lantern Corps. But if the dome falls and powers are restored, will Parallax return to defend the city or destroy it?

CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1

Written by RON MARZ

Art by MIKE MANLEY

Cover by PAUL RENAUD

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Ted Kord, Martian Manhunter, Fire and Ice star as the levity of the JLI team collides with the severity of the world of Kingdom Come!

CONVERGENCE: SUICIDE SQUAD #1

Written by FRANK TIERI

Art by TOM MANDRAKE

Cover by JOHN PAUL LEON

On sale APRIL 15 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T+

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! When Kingdom Come’s floating fortress of New Oa threatens Metropolis, it’s up to Amanda Waller to assemble a team of Metropolis’s deadliest villains to stop it.

CONVERGENCE: SUPERBOY #1

Written by FABIAN NICIEZA

Art by KARL MOLINE and JOSE MARZAN, JR.

Cover by BABS TARR

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Has Kon-El earned the right to be the new Man of Steel? Kon will have to prove his mettle in battle against the Superman of Kingdom Come! But what if the only way to save Metropolis is to lose the fight?

CONVERGENCE: SUPERGIRL: MATRIX #1

Written by KEITH GIFFEN

Art by TIMOTHY GREEN II

Cover by HOWARD PORTER

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! What do Supergirl, Lady Quark, and Ambush Bug have in common? Well...nothing, really. But that doesn’t stop them from appearing in this story together. You are SO welcome.

CONVERGENCE: SUPERMAN – THE MAN OF STEEL #1

Written by LOUISE SIMONSON

Art by JUNE BRIGMAN and ROY RICHARDSON

Cover by WALTER SIMONSON

STARRING HEROES FROM ZERO HOUR! Superman is missing, so now it’s up to Steel to defend Metropolis from the GEN13 kids!

INFINITE CRISIS: FIGHT FOR THE MULTIVERSE #10

Written by DAN ABNETT

Art by ANGEL HERNANDEZ and EDUARDO FRANCISCO

Cover by MICO SUAYAN

On sale APRIL 15 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

An armored Lex Luthor from the Gaslight world holds his own against Batman and Superman from Earth Prime. What will happen when Gaslight Hawkgirl enters the fray? Meanwhile, two other heroes wage a desperate struggle against the deadly, robotic Mecha Deathstroke.

The first week was all "Pre-Flashpoint"; this week is all "Zero Hour"; next week will be all "Crisis on Infinite Earths."

So time's going backwards then.

No, Telos apparently exists out of time. But the issues are organized so that the first week focuses on pre-flashpoint Gotham City. The Second, on pre-Zero Hour Metropolis, and so on. It's not a matter of time, just story organization. 

The issues are organized as if time were reversed. Pre-Flashpoint then Zero Hour then Crisis. Seems like they'd mix them up unless there's a specific reason why they have to be set up that way. Anyone that dislikes Zero Hour would skip all of this week's issues. Anyone that decided to collect Zero Hour only would skip the other weeks and possibly complain they had to buy so many new comics this week.

Well, that's one way of doing it. I certainly bought less this week than I will during other weeks. (But these books aren't connected to the events of those times, just the era. So last week's heroes were all 2000s-vintage, and this week's were all 90s.) But at the same time, it allows them to focus each week on a particular city, which has its own advantages. 

I've only read #0. I have 1 and 2 plus a ton of the crossovers. I'm more of a Marvel guy so my DC knowledge while not bad is still basic. I enjoyed 0 I thought it was a fun story and teaser for the series. The series itself looks fun and some of the crossovers look fun as well. I tried not to get all Batman crossovers. I plan to read them tonight while I watch Daredevil. We'll see how that goes.

I got Green Lantern/Parallax and Justice League International this week.

I actually liked Bedard's GL story.  Since Hal and Kyle were both yanked out of time before a major defining event, it left lots of room to explore a bit of a different avenue instead of having everything all cemented down.  Although, as Jeff said, it was informed by things that happened later... it worked for me.

Unfortunately, I didn't really care for Marz's JLI story.  I'm a big Ted fan and I'm happy that he tried to do right by him, but the relationships and personalities for everyone else seemed off.  I don't know, maybe he was trying to stick with the character development post Giffen and DeMatteis.  Personally, I would have preferred something a little closer to the JLI's golden period.

I read Supergirl: Matrix last night, written by Giffen, and THAT reads more like the JLI book you're looking for. Basically it's Matrix Supergirl and Redheaded Luthor vs. Lord Volt and Lady Quark, bickering like two unhappy couples in arranged marriages. It didn't wow me, but its tone definitely feels like a throwback to those old issues of JLI. Plus, there's a green fella who pops in at the end that'll have me definitely picking up issue 2.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service