I realized that this crossover covers all four CWDCTVU shows, so I've started a separate discussion. I hope that is okay.

Thoughts on Parts One and Two (with some spoilers):

The Big Day arrives for Barry and Iris. Several people encounter trouble getting to town. Two guests are squabbling, while two others have a too-public debate about their relationship.  One guest acts like a drunken obnoxious doof.  Two others drink a little too much and wake up in bed together.

In short, it begins like every wedding ever—until the point where it resembles every superhero wedding ever, and Nazis, accompanied by alt-reality versions of some familiar heroes, crash the party at the most predictable point imaginable….

This crossover plays like an actual crossover comic movie, instead of linked episodes. We have DC’s traditional Crossover Event title, and some fun examples of superheroes coordinating their efforts and powers.

Mick Rory is the perfect obnoxious wedding guest, and provides laughs almost every moment he’s onscreen.

The encounter between Ollie and a certain villain seems a little off—until we learn the full truth.

I could have done with fewer CW musical scenes (Melissa Benoist notwithstanding), but at least the CW drama feels character-driven, and integrated with the story, rather than slathered on top of it.

The CW Earth-X combines Earth-X with Earth-3 and, of course, ignores questions like multiple doppelgangers would exist on an earth where the Nazis won World War II by nuking multiple cities.

Why does the episode treat the two key Nazi villains’ identities as a big reveal—twice? They can only be alt.Ollie and alt.Kara. We know that from the start, and the heroes, despite their frequent lapses of intelligence, should figure it out, too.

Behind-the-scenes and contractual issues can affect the story, and we have to accept that. Still, it seems odd that, with so many heroes, only the three leads turn up for the confrontation with the three major villains—and then they banter before going head to head. They’re like kids meeting to fight after school.

If you want to catch Kid Flash, don’t blink; however, the episode gives him a reason to disappear. But the combined teams seriously need help. Can we have an in-universe reason why Supergirl doesn’t call in her overpowered cousin to help, given what is at stake? It would be wrong, dramatically, but it should be explained. Cisco isn’t the only one who can open portals.

It’s great to see an actual DC Crisis tale on the screen, with the superpowered fight scenes we expect. Believe it or not, that was William Katt, star of The Greatest American Hero (and Carrie White’s doomed prom date) playing the Minister.

Views: 533

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I’m not a big fan of musicals, either, but the one that changed my mind was the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The one thing I had to take was a grain of salt was that Kara hadn’t even RSVPed as late as the night before the wedding and still ended up singing in it? That’s a strain on my willing sense of disbelief.

It had been previously established that there are 52 universes. Now, all of a sudden, there are 53? Why? Why couldn’t Earth-X have been one of the 52? “There are 52 universes and they are all consecutively numbered!

One of the things that impressed me is that these guys weren't Castle Wolfenstein Nazis -- basically just enemy soldiers you can mow down and still feel good. There was a lot of actual Nazi content -- the racism and antisemitism, the concentration camp, the badges -- portrayed onscreen. That really upped the stakes for everybody, and made it more than just another superheroes vs. enemy army story. And Felicity's line to Oliver X -- that her grandparents died in the Holocaust, and there was no way she would step aside and let Nazis take over the earth -- was incredible. 

This was a terrific crossover. 

Typically not a big fan of musical episodes, but every now and then they're done in a way that actually makes me like them. Once More With Feeling, the Buffy episode to which Jeff refers, and The Bitter Suite episode of Xena both used it to good effect. They used the tropes of a musical to confront/explore emotional issues in ways that wouldn't work well in other presentation formats.

Most of the time, however, it gets old pretty fast.

Another thing i very much enjoyed about Melissa Benoist's singing at the wedding that i don't think has been mentioned is that she was singing the song Barry sang to propose to Iris. A nice touch, that.

Rory's gun: standard comic-book physics, of course.

Earth-3/Earth-X: Earth-X is a bit of comic history I only know in passing: Nazis won the war, and the Freedom Fighters continued to battle them. I was thinking in terms of reverse superheroes/villains only.

Superman: I shouldn't have specified, "Supergirl." She's not the only one who knows he exists.Again, this would seem wrong from a narrative point of view. Someone should have proposed it, though. (For all we know, Kal was busy battling Darkseid back on Kara's earth, or something).

Captain Comics said:

Mick Rory is the perfect obnoxious wedding guest, and provides laughs almost every moment he’s onscreen.

Agreed. He's my favorite Legend. Even though I don't understand how he can use his fire gun to push things around (instead of just burning them).

The CW Earth-X combines Earth-X with Earth-3 and, of course, ignores questions like multiple doppelgangers would exist on an earth where the Nazis won World War II by nuking multiple cities.

Earth-3? How so? This is Grant Morrison's Earth-X through and through. Morrison established a Nazi Justice League called JLAxis (2007) and New Reichsmen (2015). Earth-3, by contrast, is an evil world that was conquered by ersatz JLA doppelgängers like Owlman and Johnny Quick, and I don't see those guys anywhere. Morrison's Earth-X has an Overman (Ubermensch), and here we have an Overgirl.

Earth-X has Nazi versions of Earth's superheroes, because it was the Nazis who conquered the world. In this case we only got Dark Arrow and Overgirl, because duh, Arrow and Supergirl. But we can readily assume there are no more because -- as you note -- more people were killed on this Earth, so I'm guessing doppelgängers of, say, Bruce Wayne and Arthur Curry didn't get born because Gotham City and Atlantis were nuked in 1945. Evidently James Olsen and Oliver Queen were among the few familiar faces who survived to 2017. We have to imagine a bit to get where we are, but it's not that big a stretch.

When Freedom Fighters: The Ray appears on CW Seed, the Morrison connection will be even more pronounced. You'll see more of the Freedom Fighters, originally the Quality heroes per JLA #107, who Morrison established in Multiversity as persecuted minorities. The Ray is gay, Black Condor is Native American, Doll Man is Jewish, and so forth. That appears to be the case in the animated show.

They're really cleaving pretty close to the definitive Earth-X, but emphasizing the CW characters, as you'd expect. I don't see any Earth-3 DNA in here.

Can we have an in-universe reason why Supergirl doesn’t call in her overpowered cousin to help, given what is at stake? It would be wrong, dramatically, but it should be explained. Cisco isn’t the only one who can open portals.

Kara wasn't even on her own Earth when the Nazis attacked, and was rendered helpless under a red-sun lamp by the end of the episode. She had neither the time nor the means to summon Superman. 

As to other heroes coming to help, they did. The remainder of Team Arrow rode in as cavalry, but failed. The remainder of the Legends rode in, and we even saw them summoned (by Iris and Felicity). 

With Vibe down and Supergirl captured, going to Supergirl's Earth for help wasn't a possibility, even if anybody knew who to ask.

Or Alex's one-night stand with Sara, and Alex's overblown angst the morning after. As noted elsewhere, I thought it was kind of dumb for Alex to be so invested in her first girlfriend, but her reaction over waking up in Sara's bed tells me that's who she is, wearing her heart on her sleeve. Chyler Leigh made it charming.

That's how I read it too. Alex is just wound too tight, and too invested in her Miss Perfect persona.

Captain Comics said:

He's my favorite Legend. Even though I don't understand how he can use his fire gun to push things around (instead of just burning them).

They do the same thing with the cold gun. It’s too blatant. They obviously don’t want to show people burning or freezing to death, but perhaps it could be implied instead of ignored. The freeze effects involving Killer Frost, for some reason, are more authentic.

I HATE musicals. Hate, hate, hate.

Over the years I have grown to like many actual musicals, when they are musicals and not musical episodes in an action/adventure show. Superheroes require a suspension of disbelief, as do musicals. Doing both at the same time requires too much suspension of disbelief. Having said that, Kara’s song at the wedding was a natural part of it.

I think a better question would be, "Wait -- why don't WE have a Supergirl?" Why doesn't Earth-1 have a native Maid of Steel? Or a Superman? Maybe Krypton-1 exploded prematurely. Or not at all.

I think the showrunners decided to put the Kryptonians on a different Earth (which number?) for two reasons. (1) it would mean that every serious threat on the Arrow/Flash shows should involve one or both of the cousins and (2) they established that Superman had been quite active before Kara arrived, so why didn’t anyone mention him up until then? As you say, this doesn’t explain why Earth-1 doesn’t have Kryptonians.

Even on Earth-X, "James" Olsen as The Guardian is pretty useless.

Ain't it the truth! Also, did anyone else get a Captain America vibe from a shield-carrying hero painted like the flag?

I thought that his defeat/death may have implied that a lot of the missing heroes, not just their Kal-El, had already been killed. The flag-painted shield may have made Disney’s lawyers excited, but it was very brief. It was more like Cap’s first shield, which made the MLJ/Archie lawyers excited.

You could argue that Ray would be awkward, given that he used to date Felicity, but then Sara is there, and she used to date Oliver. Contract issues, maybe? *shrugs*

Heck, Felicity went to bed with Ray and Barry.

Speaking of machine guns, there were several scenes where hordes of Nazis were firing at our heroes out in the open, and nobody was shot. It's almost like they were firing blanks ...

It reminded me of the storm troopers in Star Wars. It also reminded me of NCIS Los Angeles. The bad guys can fire countless submachine gun bullets without kitting the heroes, who usually dispatch the bad guys with two perfect shots each.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

It had been previously established that there are 52 universes. Now, all of a sudden, there are 53? Why? Why couldn’t Earth-X have been one of the 52? “There are 52 universes and they are all consecutively numbered!

I think that somewhere I saw a comment that Earth-X was Earth-10,  but using a Roman numeral. It was either in a comic or a discussion.

I think Earth X was first called Earth 10 toward the end of 52. I suspect that's a Mark Waid touch. The Marvels were on Earth-5...which looks a lot like an S if you squint.

Barry and Felicity slept together? I remember a mutual attraction, but I thought she was on a train back to Star City (which then got almost blown up) before anything got serious. 

Richard Willis said:

I think a better question would be, "Wait -- why don't WE have a Supergirl?" Why doesn't Earth-1 have a native Maid of Steel? Or a Superman? Maybe Krypton-1 exploded prematurely. Or not at all.

I think the showrunners decided to put the Kryptonians on a different Earth (which number?) for two reasons. (1) it would mean that every serious threat on the Arrow/Flash shows should involve one or both of the cousins and (2) they established that Superman had been quite active before Kara arrived, so why didn’t anyone mention him up until then? As you say, this doesn’t explain why Earth-1 doesn’t have Kryptonians.

No, Supergirl is on a different Earth because Supergirl, the TV series, debuted on a different network. It originally was on CBS and migrated to the CW after the first season.

As I write this, it occurs to me that, even so, they didn't have to declare Supergirl was on another Earth.

“I think that somewhere I saw a comment that Earth-X was Earth-10, but using a Roman numeral.”

Grant Morrison tried that with Weapon X (Wolverine) when he introduced “Weapon XI.”

“The Marvels were on Earth-5...which looks a lot like an S if you squint.”

Or if you need new eyeglasses.

Yeah, Earth-X was simply X (for unknown) until 52, when it was also referred to as Earth-10. Don't remember which writer (if we could tell) instituted that idea. Morrison continued it as such in Final Crisis and Multiversity.

Also, an X is the letter in the alphabet that looks the most a swastika. So there's that, too. 

Hey, what's with all the hating on musicals? Musicals are wonderful (says the guy who has at least four versions of the West Side Story soundtrack in his music collection, and one of the 12 guys who actually LIKED Cop Rock back in the day)!*

Richard Willis said:

Over the years I have grown to like many actual musicals, when they are musicals and not musical episodes in an action/adventure show. Superheroes require a suspension of disbelief, as do musicals. Doing both at the same time requires too much suspension of disbelief. 

Oh, pish-tosh! We're comics fans! We're made of sterner stuff than that! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service