Daredevil was always a favorite of mine and easy to collect. Unfortunately he spent his Silver Age as a definite Marvel B-Lister and a weaker version of Spider-Man. His title was never one of Marvel's best sellers and was almost cancelled at least once. Of course, he rebounded with Frank Miller's brilliant run in the 70s and is currently one of the best books out there.

However there are several discrepancies and oversights (and outright weirdness) in Hornhead's backstory and some definite questions, so:

• Why did young Matt Murdock keep his heightened senses a secret? Did he tell his father? Did the doctors know? Enhanced hearing and smell must have quite painful in a hospital where normal people can't sleep! It's almost like young Matt was planning for a super-hero career!
  • Just using Daredevil #1 as a basis, was he able to act like a regular blind man in college? Did he really use his cane or just go through the motions? No one noticed how independent he was?
  • Why did Matt fall in love with Karen Page? How did he know how beautiful she was? Did he do the "feel-your-face" routine? Was it a purer love or were his hormones linked to his radar sense?
  • Who was Daredevil's greatest Silver Age foe: the OWL or the JESTER? I'm assuming that the Owl was designed to be (a blind hero versus a night predator) but the Jester made a lot of appearances! Unfortunately, the Owl was never that impressive (he can glide!) and the Jester was always a bargain basement Joker!
  • I hate to bring this up but....oh who am I kidding! "MIKE MURDOCK"!!!! What was Stan thinking? A twin brother that Foggy Nelson, Matt's best friend since college, knew nothing about? A twin brother that was never mentioned? And who always wore sunglasses, even at night? Beyond that, both Foggy and Karen were no strangers to Daredevil and he certainly never acted like "Mike"!
  • I believe that in #100 it was fully explained by Matt that the "original" Daredevil was "Mike" who got killed and that "another man" was now Daredevil #2. Did any of DD's friends or foes bring that little tidbit up again? "I'll stop you again, Leapfrog!" "Wait I fought the first guy, not you!" "What? Oh yeah! Please to meet you!" *PUNCH*
  • Besides the Black Widow, who was the first super-hero to find out that Daredevil was blind?
  • Was the Man Without Fear Marvel's second best non-super fighter after Captain America? Where would he rate against the Black Panther, Nick Fury, Ka-Zar or Hawkeye in hand-to-hand combat?
  • Why did the AVENGERS never call? We know that DD couldn't accept because being around too many heroes would confuse his radar sense. At least, that's what he claimed. But he was never asked. Cap, Thor and Iron Man worked with him and knew how capable he was. And they asked Spider-Man who was deemed "a menace" and the Sub-Mariner after he tried to conquer New York City!
  • Was his blindness a factor as to why it took so long to get animated? They couldn't or wouldn't show a person with a disability, regardless of how he overcame it? Or were they afraid no one would relate to him?
  • Neat fact: When they made The Trial of the Incredible Hulk TV movie, with Rex Smith as DD, Stan Lee saw that the mask had no eyeholes and asked why. They said that it was because he was blind. Yeah, said Stan, but no one was supposed to know that! 

That's my testimony. What's yours?

Views: 997

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I liked the Gladiator too.  One of the things I strongly disliked about Bendis' run was that Melvin Potter had reformed, and I wanted to see him stay that way.  Unfortunately, he couldn't resist the siren's song.

I remember the Gladiator in Ghost Rider and he was very dangerous. He killed the Eel! Then he reformed and opened a costume shop.

In his debut, he owned a costume shop.  Foggy hired him to make him a Daredevil costume, and wanted Melvin to create a supervillain costume so he could play-act at saving Karen from him.  However, Melvin was just a wee bit unhinged and took things a little too seriously, and Daredevil had to intervene.

Philip Portelli said:

I remember the Gladiator in Ghost Rider and he was very dangerous. He killed the Eel! Then he reformed and opened a costume shop.

Philip Portelli said:

Could he have possibly won a settlement over his accident? They were transporting nuclear material through the city and at the first sign of trouble, they throw it out the back door!! That can't be regulation!

Reviewing my Masterwork of DD #1-11, on pages 8 and 9 of issue #1 Matt (ironically) runs into the street to save a blind man and is struck by a truck from "Ajax Atomic Labs". The truck tried to stop but apparently the brakes failed. They a cylinder fell off the truck and somehow hit his face. They didn't throw it off the truck. OTOH, I can't believe his dad wouldn't at least get a settlement. The truck was defective and the radioactive material obviously wasn't secured.

I remember a Marvel house ad or printed comment from Stan that touted Daredevil as a teenage superhero like Spider-Man. Using the DD #1 cover date I looked at the house ads and letter columns in the Amazing Spider-Man books at that time and came up empty. I only have access to the house ads and letter columns in ASM on my CD set. I KNOW I saw this in a promotion somewhere. Does anybody else know where this was?

In issue #1 on page 10 (after his accident) it is implied that the accident caused him delays in his high school work while he learned braille. On page 11, a caption says that he "finally graduates high school." Sounds like he was older than his classmates at the time. The same caption says he then goes to "state college" and rooms with a new friend, Foggy Nelson. Nothing is said about them moving on to law school, but on page 14 (after his dad is murdered) Foggy says his dad is "setting me up in a law office". Matt then is given a diploma, as valedictorian, and then they are walking into their office. Matt meets newly hired Karen Page and his thought balloon says "Her voice is like music! From the sound she's five-feet-four, young, and I know she's lovely!" All this is before he takes on the Daredevil persona, so he is definitely not a teenager.

That has to be the worst origin ever!

"When cosplay goes wrong..."

Randy Jackson said:

In his debut, he owned a costume shop.  Foggy hired him to make him a Daredevil costume, and wanted Melvin to create a supervillain costume so he could play-act at saving Karen from him.  However, Melvin was just a wee bit unhinged and took things a little too seriously, and Daredevil had to intervene.

Philip Portelli said:

I can think of worse. Bouncing Boy,for an example. Chemo.

Philip Portelli said:

That has to be the worst origin ever!

"When cosplay goes wrong..."

And none of them ever insisted that Mike & Matt show up together.  Pretty ludicrous.
Luke Blanchard said:

He goes further! He actually has them meet Mike! Why would you need further proof when you've met the guy?

"I'm sorry, Mike! I don't believe you actually exist because I haven't seen your VACATION PHOTOS and BABY PICTURES!"

Seriously, yes, Foggy would probably have looked into it figuring something about it smelt.

Richard Willis said:

Philip Portelli said:

Could he have possibly won a settlement over his accident? They were transporting nuclear material through the city and at the first sign of trouble, they throw it out the back door!! That can't be regulation!

Reviewing my Masterwork of DD #1-11, on pages 8 and 9 of issue #1 Matt (ironically) runs into the street to save a blind man and is struck by a truck from "Ajax Atomic Labs". The truck tried to stop but apparently the brakes failed. They a cylinder fell off the truck and somehow hit his face. They didn't throw it off the truck. OTOH, I can't believe his dad wouldn't at least get a settlement. The truck was defective and the radioactive material obviously wasn't secured.

Later retellings of the story did show the canister being thrown off the truck. I recall it being presented that way in Frank Miller's run, but it also presented the truck as being part of a military convoy, not a civilian vehicle, and that the canister was tossed away because of fear of fire. 

As for Matt's father not getting a settlement ... well, he didn't have a lawyer. 

I think there would have been lawyers fighting to take the case on contingency.

Maybe so, maybe no ... this case isn't a slam dunk.

If it was a truck from a private company, Murdock's lawyer would have to find out about the truck being faulty and counter the company's arguments, whatever they were, about how well the radioactive material was secured. If it was a military transport, he or she would have that burden plus the burden of showing negligence, malfeasance or misfeasance to the degree that it overrides the strictures against suing government officials for actions taken in the normal course of their duties.

This from someone who is not a lawyer, nor does he play one on TV.

Too bad Marvel isn't doing What If ...? any more. "What If Jack Murdock Sued Over Matt's Accident?" is a story I would pay good, cash money to see. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Too bad Marvel isn't doing What If ...? any more. "What If Jack Murdock Sued Over Matt's Accident?" is a story I would pay good, cash money to see.

IIRC, Jack Murdock got mixed up with The Fixer because he needed the money. If he'd had a healthy settlement in lieu of going to court he probably would never have been murdered. Hence no Daredevil?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service