I’d like to start this continuation of the Dark Shadows discussion from the old board with a look at some of the new and upcoming Dark Shadows audio stories from Big Finish Productions. There aren’t nearly as many Dark Shadows audio adventures as there are Doctor Who ones, but the Doctor Who series has been around longer. The Dark Shadows audios are a mixed bag. The first release was a full-cast sequel titled “Return to Collinwood”. Later they began to release a series of interconnected sequential stories grouped in short “seasons”. More recently they’ve been going back to the timeline of the original television show and telling interstitial one-shots. As the Dark Shadows series seems to be catching on, Big Finish seems to be ramping up their production schedule. “Curse of the Pharaoh” was released in September, and the next four are set for monthly release beginning in January at a special subscription rate.

CURSE OF THE PHARAOH:

“Curse of the Pharaoh” stars Nancy Barrett (reprising her role as Carolyn Stoddard) and Marie Wallace (perhaps best known as “Eve” on the TV show) in a new role, famed Egyptologist Dr. Gretchen Warwick. The story doesn’t specify, but I assume it takes place shortly after the end of the series original TV series, circa 1970 or so. Both actresses are kind of rusty and sound as old as they are, not as young as they (Caroline, anyway) are supposed to be. Barrett was always a better actress than Wallace, and that remains true. Wallace’s shortcomings are spotlighted in this “dramatic reading” in which she plays other bit parts, most of the male (Bob the bartender at The Blue Whale, Eliot Stokes on the telephone, Carolyn’s father in flashback), which she performs in a gruff kind of storybook voice as if reading aloud to a child. The story itself is a sequel to the unpopular “Leviathan” television storyline. If you’ve never heard a Dark Shadows audio and thinking of trying one out, there are better ones to start with than this.

KEY: OB = Old Board; UR = Un-Reviewed

Return to Collinwood - 169

SEASON ONE:
S1.1 The House of Despair - 1
S1.2 The Book of Temptation - OB
S1.3 The Christmas Presence - OB
S1.4 The Rage Beneath - 7

SEASON TWO: Kingdom of the Dead - 7

DRAMATIC READINGS:

1. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 1 - OB
2. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 2 - OB
3. Clothes of Sand - OB
4. The Ghost Walker - OB
5. The Skin Walkers - OB
6. The Path of Fate - OB
7. The Wicked & the Dead - OB
8. Echoes of Insanity - OB
9. Curse of the Pharaoh - 1
10. Final Judgment - 1
11. Blood Dance - 1
12. The Night Whispers - 1
13. London’s Burning - 2
14. The Doll House - 30
15. The Blind Painter - 87
16. The Death Mask - 88
17. The Creeping Fog - 89
18. The Carrion Queen - 89
19. The Poisoned Soul - 96
20. The Lost Girl - 96
21. The Crimson Pearl - 114
22. The Voodoo Amulet - 129
23. The House by the Sea - 170
24. Dress Me in Dark Dreams - 154
25. The Eternal Actress - 162
26. The Fall of House Trask - 163
27. Operation: Victor - 166
28. Speak No Evil - 166
29. The Last Stop - 166
30. Dreaming of the Water - 167
31. The Haunted Refrain - 167
32. A Collinwood Christmas - 167
33. The Phantom Bride - 167
34. Beneath the Veil - 167
35. The Enemy Within - 167
36. The Lucifer Gambit - 167
37. The Flip Side - 167
38. Beyond the Grave - 168
39. Curtain Call - 168
40. The Harvest of Souls - 170
41. The Happier Dead - 168
42. The Carriage Damned - 168
43. The Devil Cat - 168
44. The Darkest Shadow - 173

SEASON THREE: Bloodlust - 170-172, 181

45. Panic - 173
46. The Curse of Shurafa - 173
47. In the Twinkling of an Eye - 173
48. Deliver Us from Evil - 173
49. Tainted Love - 173
50. ...And Red All Over - 175

Echoes of the Past - 176

Blood & Fire - 176

Haunting Memories - 177

Phantom Melodies - 178

Dreams of Long Ago - 178

THE TONY & CASSANDRA MYSTERIES:
The Mystery at Crucifix Heights - 179
The Mystery of La Danse Macabre - 179
The Mystery of Flight 493 - 180
The Mystery of Karmina Sonata - 180

SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT:
Trio - 180
Honeymoon from Hell - 180
Retreat -180
1:53 AM - 180

MAGGIE & QUENTIN - THE LOVERS' REFRAIN:
The Girl Beneath the Water - 180
The Sand That Speaks HIs Name - 180
The Hollow Winds That Beckon
The Paper to the Flame

Views: 13715

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Laura Murdoch Mason... died by fire."

Holy cow, episode 207 was a blast. Set entirely at the Blue Whale (with a coda right outside), we see Willie get more and more stirred up: He has no money, Jamie Jason isn't taking him seriously (pretty sure he just gives him a DOLLAR when he asks for money), none of the girls in the bar are paying attention to him, and everyone he's met is treating him like a pariah. And to make matters worse, Burke Devlin walks in! No wonder a fight breaks out! A little pocket knife can like Willy's can do a lot of damage, but it's weird to see one onscreen -- TV knives (and knives in general) have gotten a lot more impressive looking these days. By the end of it, Willy is outside... planning to leave town as soon as Jason gets him some money, but swearing revenge.  

This is really wonderfully staged -- we've got six distinct places inside the Whale -- the doorway, where Burke glares at Willy, the front of the bar, the corner of the bar (where Sam goes to drink with a couple other barflies before Willie comes over), the jukebox, and two of the tables. Plus the outdoor set (which looks like the docks set, shot from another angle). Everyone moves around, everyone has a reason for going places. And there's one nameless girl, a pretty extra, walking past Willy again and again, winding him up in his own head.  

All this, and not a Collins to be found! 

I can see why this is one of your favorite episodes, Jeff. It's a real standout.

Also, the new Willy is really good. I liked how they introduced him in episode 206 -- we see him from behind, in front of the portrait of Barnabas, the last place we saw the other Willy -- and he's shot in such a way that we don't register that he's a new actor until we've already recognized him as Willy. A good job, direction-wise.

John Karlen is really good.  I frequently forget that there was another Willy.

Wait, who's "Jamie"? I don't remember them.

Oh, dammit, JASON. I'll never get these names right. Going back to change it now.

206: John Karlen has what Shakespeare would call "a lean and hungry look." Tracy says she associates the "rapey" Willie with James Hall; by the time John Karlen takes over the role, Willie's days as a sexual predator are over. This last time I watched the James Hall episodes, though, I imagined John Karlen in the role, and it was pretty easy to do.

207: For those of you not watching along and/or who haven't seen 207 in a while, here's the basic breakdown of action withing the Blue Whale: Jason & Willie; Joe, Maggie & Sam (later + Burke); Burke & Jason; Willie & Sam (later + Maggie); Joe & Maggie (briefly), all leading up to the top of the bill: Burke vs. Willie (and then the "coda" of Jason & Willie outside). 

I'm sure the director didn't count on this episode being seen on a large screen, hi-def TV, but yeah... Jason slipped Willie a single, crumpled $1 bill! (You'd think somebody on the set would have had a $20, at least.) 

It took a while -- my TV watching schedule always gets erratic around coup season -- but I finally did it. I completed the Dark Shadows: The Beginning series on Amazon Prime, which means I've now seen through episode 209. Willie's definitely gone from being a sexual predator to...well, I'm not sure if I'd call him a garden-variety thief. He's obsessed with gems, and their beauty. There's a speech he gives about Liz's brooch in 208 -- "sometimes you don't even need to see a gem to know how pretty it is. You can tell just by touchin' em." -- that had a very Tennessee Williams flavor to it. I like Karlen's portrayal a lot... but I have to tip my hat to James Hall, who was the first actor to actually make me genuinely afraid for some of this show's characters. He gave off terrifying energy, but it was pretty electric (and awful) to watch. 

And now Willy's learned his lesson about stealing things that the Collinses would miss, so he decides to go grave robbing. We see the caretaker again! And Willy's haunted by Barnabas's heartbeat, and the glowing eyes of his portrait. He's right around the corner...

Can't wait!

Although I can understand why Amazon Prime designated 209 as the end of "The Beginning," I don't agree with it. I would draw that line after 210, and I'll tell you why after you've watched it. I think 208 is the first time I've ever heard the term "family jewels" used literally. Notice how quickly the $1000.00 shakedown was reduced to $500.00. Notice, too, the relationship between Willie and Mrs. Johnson. the interact as equals and I think they actually like each other. I see this as commentary on their social status in comparison the "the Collins family of Collinsport." 

I have read that Dark Shadows had more standing sets than any other daytime drama of its time. 209 introduces one we will see a lot more of: the Collins' family mausoleum at the Eagle Hill Cemetery. 

I just got a Roku, which will make watching things on Tubi a lot easier. (I hooked it up today, and it looks really versatile; while it was sitting in the box I was basically thinking of it as a "Dark Shadows machine," but apparently I can watch Rockford Files on it, too! And possibly even shows created in this century!)

"I just got a Roku, which will make watching things on Tubi a lot easier."

Is that even English?

Ha, barely!

But I watched three episodes last night, bringing me up to episode 212. In 210, we see Willie open Barnabas's coffin -- he's either drawn to it or warned away from it by a haunting heartbeat, but either way, he does it -- and Barnabas reaches out and grabs Willie by the throat. And that's the last we've seen of him so far.

Jason doesn't know where he is, and there's much discussion of Willie's whereabouts. Jason learns he was at the tomb -- through the discovery of an abandoned cigarette, a nice touch --  but keeps that to himself, since it looks like he hasn't disturbed anything important. But he still hasn't given Willie the $500 get-out-of-town money.

Barnabas shows up, claiming to be the descendent of the Barnabas in the painting -- the camera lingers a few times on his ring, in front of the ring in the painting, linking them. He's super charming to Liz and Vickie -- pardon me, Victoria -- before heading to the old house, meeting David, wistfully remembering sunlight, and talking to Josette's portrait, accusing her of not keeping him safe from becoming a monster. But now he plans to live the life he was denied.

It's probably important to note that Mrs. Johnson invites Barnabas into Collinwood when she sees him for the first time. Vampire rules, and all that. Unless I missed something, he doesn't seem to need an invitation to enter the Old House, but perhaps the Collinwood invitation covers that. Or maybe it's different because that house used to be his home.

I think it's safe to say that this is where the show changes forever.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Ha, barely!

But I watched three episodes last night, bringing me up to episode 212. In 210, we see Willie open Barnabas's coffin -- he's either drawn to it or warned away from it by a haunting heartbeat, but either way, he does it -- and Barnabas reaches out and grabs Willie by the throat. And that's the last we've seen of him so far.

Jason doesn't know where he is, and there's much discussion of Willie's whereabouts. Jason learns he was at the tomb -- through the discovery of an abandoned cigarette, a nice touch --  but keeps that to himself, since it looks like he hasn't disturbed anything important. But he still hasn't given Willie the $500 get-out-of-town money.

Barnabas shows up, claiming to be the descendent of the Barnabas in the painting -- the camera lingers a few times on his ring, in front of the ring in the painting, linking them. He's super charming to Liz and Vickie -- pardon me, Victoria -- before heading to the old house, meeting David, wistfully remembering sunlight, and talking to Josette's portrait, accusing her of not keeping him safe from becoming a monster. But now he plans to live the life he was denied.

It's probably important to note that Mrs. Johnson invites Barnabas into Collinwood when she sees him for the first time. Vampire rules, and all that. Unless I missed something, he doesn't seem to need an invitation to enter the Old House, but perhaps the Collinwood invitation covers that. Or maybe it's different because that house used to be his home.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service