HEROES IN CRISIS EXPANDS TO NINE ISSUES

Artists Lee Weeks and Mitch Gerads Join Tom King and Clay Mann in Revealing More Secrets of Sanctuary

Beginning September 26, Eisner Award-winner Tom King’s new limited series, HEROES IN CRISIS, introduces a new generation of readers to the concept of a “Crisis” within the DC Universe. This time, instead of a reality-ending event, this crisis is ripped from real-world headlines: How do superheroes handle PTSD? How do DC’s Trinity—Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman—handle the traumas and anxieties of fighting crime and saving the world, over and over again? And what happens when the safeguards that have been in place for years, fail?

First announced as a seven-issue series by Tom King and artist Clay Mann, HEROES IN CRISIS now expands to nine issues, with King collaborators Lee Weeks and Mitch Gerads providing art for the added issues. These issues will provide added insight into King and Mann’s epic tale, with Weeks (BATMAN/ELMER FUDD) handling art duties for issue #3 and Eisner award-winning Gerads (MISTER MIRACLE) providing art for issue #7.

HEROES IN CRISIS #1, written by Tom King, art by Clay Mann and Tomeu Morey, lettered by Clayton Cowles and edited by Jamie S. Rich and Brittany Holzherr, hits shelves September 26.

Views: 781

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be on the lookout, Cap!

Captain Comics said:

I saw a new release of Death of Captain Marvel on the schedule, Jeff. I don't remember the date, though, and now I can't find it.

By the way, last night I began reading Omega Men, just because I'm in the mood to talk about something Tom King wrote that doesn't totally put me off the way Heroes in Crisis does. I know I started reading it when it was coming out in issues, but I didn't finish and ended up just buying the trade. I'm through about two or three issues now, so I will either start a new thread or look for a pre-existing thread where I can start a (likely one-sided) discussion about it.

I'll start you off Sensei - I bought the trade having heard rave reviews and...hated it!

I couldn't get into it, didn't find any character engaging, the pacing slow and the art dull.

Honestly one of my least favourite books... Ever.

I certainly understand that it's most likely not for everybody. One of my favorite things about the first couple issues that I did read way back when was the writing. It was very similar to Keith Giffen back when he was writing Legion of Super-Heroes. I found out later that Tom King was inspired by that very run, which made sense. I think I'm going to start a new thread later on so showcase further thoughts on this.

As for the art, I couldn't disagree more, but I get the feeling that I'm one of the few. I love Barnaby Bagenda's style. In fact, now I want to read Green Lantern/Planet of the Apes, which he also drew. I bought the trade, but it also remains unread.

Richard Mantle said:

I'll start you off Sensei - I bought the trade having heard rave reviews and...hated it!

I couldn't get into it, didn't find any character engaging, the pacing slow and the art dull.

Evidently there's a controversy brewing over a spoiler in Heroes in Crisis, and we're getting hints and portents. It's discussed at Bleeding Cool, if you want the spoiler. Meanwhile, the cover to issue #7 has been pulled, and BC says it's because of said spoiler, and DC says it's for other reasons. 

Ah man I read the first few issues of that series. I didn't know that was a Tom King product. Man, I am right there with you. I hated that series. Honestly, the more stories I'm exposed to Tom King the less I like him. He has a way more misses than hits with me.

Richard Mantle said:

Tom King and Scott Snyder are both very good writers. But DC decided they were the next Geoff Johns, and gave them their heads. As you say, Travis, they are missing a lot these days. They don't seem to have any editorial control on them any more, and call me biased, but the best writer in the world needs an editor. Moreover, the best editor in the world needs an editor.

This is my attitude toward the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby controversy, BTW. Kirby was a genuine idea man, who had 100 ideas a day. But the problem is that 90 of them were terrible, and Kirby didn't have an "ear" for that. (Or for dialogue.) It took a good editor -- Stan Lee -- to pick the 10 best ideas out of the maelstrom, develop them beyond a sketchy idea, and come up with a Silver Surfer* or a Black Panther**.

* Kirby wanted him to be a robot.

** Kirby named him Coal Tiger, and I think we've all seen the day-glo costume he came up with first.

I like King more than I like Snyder at this point. King's interests interest me, so I like to see where he's going. Whereas Snyder's obsessions don't land for me. His darker stuff, I don't relate to, but his more lighthearted stuff seems weightless, and awesome for awesome's sake. There are still elements I like, but I'm teetering on the edge of dropping Justice League, and have been for months. Whereas I don't even consider dropping King's books. With those, I'm riveted. And if an issue lets me down, I'm pretty sure the next one will grab me again.

They both have a Joker obsession that I just don't get.

As for everything else, I do prefer King over Snyder. Snyder is far more verbose, which I find really annoying in a comic book writer. I always think of an overly-talky comic book writer as the friend who will not shut up ever. They just love the sound of their own voice and assume everyone else feels the same.

King is good, but he does have a few missteps in my opinion, like Heroes in Crisis so far. That said, his work on Mister Miracle, big chunks of Batman ("I Am Gotham", "I Am Bane"), and what I've read so far of Omega Men (yes, I'm loving it!), more than make up for the not-so-good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service