DC's Omnibus line - Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections

It looks like DC Comics are using the Omnibus format as their current way to collect classic material in chronological order.  In the past, there have been the Archives series (hardcover, full color), the Showcase Presents series (softcover, black and white, usually twice the page count of an Archive), and the Chronicles series (softcover, full color, smaller page count than an Archive).  In the past few years, all of these lines have been quietly shuttered, and now DC is releasing Omnibus collections in both hardcover and softcover formats.

As you would expect, the Omnibus hardcovers are huge.  Two Silver Age volumes collected the first 76 issues of JLA (along with Brave and Bold 28-30 and Mystery in Space 75), for example.  Earlier this year, DC released JLA: The Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1, collecting JLA # 77-113.  That's almost half of the original series collected in this way, which for a fan like me is great news.  The JLA Archives had 10 volumes, collected the first 93 issues, and the first volume and last volume were released twenty-two years apart.  The first JLA Omnibus came out in 2014.

DC is also releasing these collections in trade paperbacks with a smaller page count than the hardcovers.  The great thing is that these TPBs collect more issues than the Archives did!  The material collected in the first JLA Silver Age Omnibus has all been released in 3 TPBs.

I have the first JLA Silver Age TPB, and I loved it!  I also have the first JLA Showcase Presents, but I find that without color, I just don't enjoy the stories as much as I could.  Actually, I find I enjoy most Silver Age comics more in color versus reading them in Showcase Presents and Essential Marvel.

I wonder how many of the rest of you are buying and reading these Omnibus collections, and what you think of the format.

Views: 9348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No offense, but are you sure you'd rather read the stories in the Omnibuses than the Archives? I don't think I would. I like the pages to spread well. I like being able to look at a page face on, and an omnibus might be too heavy.

Would your local library like them? Mine has a great graphic-novel collection.

Captain Comics said:

Jacking the thread back, I got my two Silver Age Green Lantern omnibuses yesterday, making seven Archives superfluous. The two Golden Age Wonder Woman omnibuses have done the same, and when the second Supergirl omnibus arrives (in May?), it will knock out two Archives and two (I think) Showcase Presents. I've also gotten all five Golden Age Superman omnibuses, which renders a shelf of Archives and Chronicles moot. 

I hope somebody knows a market for all these books!

My Batman omnibus is quite heavy. It's worth it, but YMMV.

On Perez, I mostly stopped reading monthly comics by the late 70s early 80s, so I might have missed his prime time.

On selling old archives, this is one reason why I've not been in a rush to get the Omnibus books (see earlier postings for other reasons). It seems to me that the market will be limited, although if you sell them cheaply enough you might get enough $ to equal the cost of an omnibus. But please keep us posted, as I'm curious about this.

I would've said you were around to see Perez hit his stride, then. He did a lot of covers for DC in the 80s. They might tell you more about how his art evolved.

Released on Wednesday Apr 4:

Batman: The Dark Knight Detective TPB.  Collects Detective Comics #568-574 and 579-582 (Mike W. Barr run with Alan Davis, plus work from Norm Breyfogle and others; excludes Batman: Year Two).

Flash: The Silver Age TPB Vol 3.  Collects The Flash #133-147.

No Golden, Silver, or Bronze Age collections due out next week (April 11).

“I hope somebody knows a market for all these books!”

I, for one, do not. I have taken them to my LCS and sometimes I get a good price for them, other times I do not, depending on demand. I initially decided to pick up the omnibus run of a given title at the point the archives left off. Sometimes there is some overlap. The Adam Stange omnibus is a good example. By itself, it collects about twice as much as the three archive editions, redering them superfluous. I want the later material, so I now have three volumes of duplicated material. I have had limited success selling them on this board, but if anyone is onterested, let me know. Otherwise, I have given several to my “protégé.”

No offense, but are you sure you'd rather read the stories in the Omnibuses than the Archives?

They are a bit more difficult to read than the archives, I admit, but I think I would in some cases. Take Doom Patrol, for example. I already own the entire original run in five archive editions, but it sure would be nice to have the entire series between two covers.

DP is the only Silver Age series I own the whole run of in single issues, albeit bought after the fact.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

“I hope somebody knows a market for all these books!”

I, for one, do not. I have taken them to my LCS and sometimes I get a good price for them, other times I do not, depending on demand. I initially decided to pick up the omnibus run of a given title at the point the archives left off. Sometimes there is some overlap. The Adam Stange omnibus is a good example. By itself, it collects about twice as much as the three archive editions, redering them superfluous. I want the later material, so I now have three volumes of duplicated material. I have had limited success selling them on this board, but if anyone is onterested, let me know. Otherwise, I have given several to my “protégé.”

No offense, but are you sure you'd rather read the stories in the Omnibuses than the Archives?

They are a bit more difficult to read than the archives, I admit, but I think I would in some cases. Take Doom Patrol, for example. I already own the entire original run in five archive editions, but it sure would be nice to have the entire series between two covers.

You have a protégé? My brother's a doctor -- he may be able to help you with that.

I'm getting Avengers Epic Collection: The Avengers/Defenders War despite already having it in an earlier tpb AND in both the Essential Avengers and Essential Defenders volumes. It has so much more in it: a lengthy battles against Zodiac, an origin for Mantis, a crossover with Captain Marvel #33, a crossroads for the Black Panther, the return of the Whizzer, the wedding of Quicksilver and Crystal AND a spotlight on the Scarlet Witch. Plus a few bonuses from FOOM!

Interesting. I'll have to look for that and see for myself.

Personally I'm quite happy having Batman (for example) in some archives, some Chronicles and now the Omnibus. There's some overlap, but not enough I have to look to get rid of anything.

Philip Portelli said:

I'm getting Avengers Epic Collection: The Avengers/Defenders War despite already having it in an earlier tpb AND in both the Essential Avengers and Essential Defenders volumes. It has so much more in it: a lengthy battles against Zodiac, an origin for Mantis, a crossover with Captain Marvel #33, a crossroads for the Black Panther, the return of the Whizzer, the wedding of Quicksilver and Crystal AND a spotlight on the Scarlet Witch. Plus a few bonuses from FOOM!

GOLDEN AGE BATMAN OMNIBUS VOL. 6:

Reprints Detective Comics #132-153, Batman #46-55 and World’s Finest #33-422.

For those of us who collect the Archives, the Detective Comics run will be duplicated, but the 10 issues of Batman and the 10 issues of World’s Finest will be new.

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS COMPANION: Collects various crossovers. Looks interesting, but interesting enough to buy…?

WONDER WOMAN, DIANA PRINCE: THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OMNIBUS: Collects the entire “Diana Rigg” era. I don’t know… if I didn’t already own it in tpb I’d be sorely tempted.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service