1)I always had my doubts about the Daleks putting the Master on trial - surely, if they decided he'd done them any dirt they'd just exterminate them?  Maybe it was all a set-up to get at the Doctor.

2)The Dalek voices sound goofy  in this.

3)I like this version of the theme music.

4)I was glad they kept it "in continuity".

5)"The Time Lord has thirteen lives..."

6)"And nearing the end of my seventh life..."

7)I also liked the TARDIS console room in this.

8)I see that McCoy finally got rid of the question mark jumper, which he loathed.

9)And the Seventh Doctor wanders out into a hail of bullets.

10)I hate being on pager.

11)"I am not like you!"

12)The probe scene is fairly nightmarish.

13)The regeneration scene was fairly good.

14)This really was unlike any Doctor Who we had seen up to that point - both in production values and story structure.

15)And again the Doctor steals clothes from a hospital.

16)Roberts does "creepy" well.

17)"Somehow I don't think the Second Coming happens here." "Right. You think He's gonna go to a better hospital?"

18)"You have to get me out of here before they kill me again!"

19)"I am not Bruce."

20)The Doctor had a father.

21)I like the the way they realized the Cloister Room.

22)That's not quite the way the Eye of Harmony was originally defined.  I like the explanation that it's a link back to the original Eye on Gallifrey.

23)The infamous kiss!

24)"I am the Doctor!"

25)"The Doctor is half human. No wonder..."

26)"She kiss as good as me?" "As well as you."

27)"He's British!" "Yes, I suppose I am."  Maybe his mother was British.

28)I sure hope that cop never catches up with Grace later.

29)"The road's still blocked."  "This is an ambulance."

30)"Doctor Bowman"?

31)"I'm half human on my mother's side."

32)"Its cloaking device got stuck on a previous misadventure."

33)Ashbrook does "possessed" well.

34)"I always dress for the occasion."

35)Why would it take a human to open the Eye?

36)"I have wasted all my lives because of you, Doctor."

37)"Life is wasted on the living."

38)"What a sentimental old thing this TARDIS is!"

39)Gallifrey is 250 million light years from Earth. Well, was.

40)And he hits the console.

41)Hey, Tony Dow was the visual effects producer.

Overall, I was glad to see this again - I found it quite enjoyable.  Shame McGann never got more of a run on TV.

Views: 169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I watched another special feature last night: three fans discussing the movie. Not too terribly interesting.
I just started watching some of the extras last night, after watching "The Mutants" and a "Dark Shadows".
That first one was 54 minutes. It was interesting, but I didn't think it was ever going to end!
Listened to the commentary track with Nick Briggs, Paul McGann and Sylvester McCoy. I hadn't realized that McGann and  McCoy had been buddies even before they made this.
Ah, yes. I remember the old, “Now I know what it feels like .. .. !” version of Frankenstein.

1)I always had my doubts about the Daleks putting the Master on trial - surely, if they decided he'd done them any dirt they'd just exterminate them?  Maybe it was all a set-up to get at the Doctor.

I had just assumed that at that point, the Daleks could not afford to P.O. the Time Lords outright and had to at least show a bit of diplomacy before exterminating a Time Lord so they went through the impression of a trial so the Time Lords wouldn’t retaliate. Once they amassed enough power later on & figured they could destroy Gallifrey completely, the need for diplomacy was over.

4)I was glad they kept it "in continuity".

So am I but I wonder if this is part of what stopped it from becoming a series. New viewers having no connection to McCoy so they are wondering why he was killed at the beginning of the story. It removes an emotional impact which was there for the older viewers. 

6)"And nearing the end of my seventh life..."

MAYBE we can finally put to rest the whole “regenerations before Hartnell” idea

7)I also liked the TARDIS console room in this.

Again, so did I but it was like the secondary console room from Tom Baker’s era took over the whole interior. I did like the sense of vast space in the interior as opposed to the smaller BBC sets of the past 

8)I see that McCoy finally got rid of the question mark jumper, which he loathed.

Would have liked to have seen the return of the umbrella though. Actually I would like to find a merchandising site that sells them.

9)And the Seventh Doctor wanders out into a hail of bullets.

Doctor, You have this option built in to the TARDIS called a SCANNER, USE IT! LOL! 

11)"I am not like you!"

We do tend to forget that from time to time. 

14)This really was unlike any Doctor Who we had seen up to that point - both in production values and story structure.

True, but that was the whole idea. This was supposed to be the start of a brand new series and as such would have had to have been dramatically different to grab a whole new generation and nation of viewers.

15)And again the Doctor steals clothes from a hospital.

Like the Eleventh said *paraphrasing here* You save the planet a few times, the least you should get is a new set of clothes out of the deal.

Actually I found it over the top and down the other side. I was and still am a fan of Ainley and would have preferred to see him but I think it might have been a bit much for him.

20)The Doctor had a father.

Well, we knew he had a granddaughter so the fact that he himself had a father was not really a stretch as far as I was concerned. 

23)The infamous kiss!

If it hadn’t been done solely for the shock value in my opinion, I wouldn’t have had any problem with it.

24)"I am the Doctor!"

“Whether you like it or not”?

25)"The Doctor is half human. No wonder..."

I put the whole half human thing up to two issues. A) Post regenerative crisis of sorts “I was dead too long this time” and the procedure which turned The Master in to a gel snake of some sort. 

32)"Its cloaking device got stuck on a previous misadventure."

The Time Lords got the chameleon circuit from the Romulans?  

35)Why would it take a human to open the Eye?

Yes, a handy feature on a GALLIFREYAN travel machine

36)"I have wasted all my lives because of you, Doctor."

Oh, come on. Hasn’t it been a bit of a giggle, hmm?

38)"What a sentimental old thing this TARDIS is!"

I just didn’t like the idea of “Everybody lives” even a decade before Eccleston used it.

40)And he hits the console.

Wouldn’t be The TARDIS without some sort of fault. I wish that they had kept the crystalline prongs though. I liked the look of that much more than the blown glass thing in the new series. 

I saw that too. Eddie Haskill worked on Doctor Who?

Overall, I was glad to see this again - I found it quite enjoyable.  Shame McGann never got more of a run on TV.

Same here because I never really got a vibe on the character from the single story. I really wanted to get into the whole thing but just was left feeling a lack of character from The Doctor in this whole affair.

HELLUVA first post, huh? ;)

I believe the saying is "Welcome! We're glad you're here!"

Actually I found it over the top and down the other side. I was and still am a fan of Ainley and would have preferred to see him but I think it might have been a bit much for him.

'Cause, you know, Ainley never went over the top ...

Just kidding, John.  Howdy!

Speaking of Ainley, I just watched The Land That Time Forgot for the first time in {cough cough} and Hey! Look who's playing the treacherous X-O of the U-boat!

He could’ve had it worse. Just ask Colin Baker.

I saw that too. Eddie Haskill worked on Doctor Who?

For the record, Tony Dow was Wally Cleaver; Ken Osmond was Eddie Haskell.

And welcome!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service