http://www.comicsalliance.com/2009/05/28/dwayne-mcduffie-fired-from...

This is just sad on a lot of levels...this man was a major force in making the JLA cartoon the great thing it was...

...I hope to see a lot more McDuffie in the Marvel U. in the near future.

Views: 493

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really *is* sad, especially considering the higher profile of the Milestone characters would have (and may still be) reflected in JLA, and it would have been good to have his hand guiding them.

But when Rich ran that piece, I thought, "Uh-oh... this isn't gonna turn out well."
I'm not familiar with the interview in question. Any specific beans spilled?
If it was clear to him what was privileged information and what isn't prior to his comments, then no matter what I think of him as a writer or a person (and I generally have positive opinions on both accounts), his termination is probably justified. If it was not clear, then this is utterly wrong.

Will this affect the incorporation of Milestone into the DCU? Wasn't he part owner? Did DC buy the Milestone characters?
Well, that stinks. But after reading that piece at Lying In The Gutters, I'm not surprised, either.

After this chain of events, will Marvel even hire him?
Don Collett said:
Well, that stinks. But after reading that piece at Lying In The Gutters, I'm not surprised, either.

After this chain of events, will Marvel even hire him?

In a heartbeat.

They let their writers twitter good and bad stuff from the summit meetings...
Doc Beechler said:
They let their writers twitter good and bad stuff from the summit meetings...

I remember back in the U-Decide days, there was some kind of huff (according to PAD) that they tried to make his not writing bad things about Marvel in But I Digress... a condition of his getting further employment...

Definitely a better move on Marvel's part if they're allowing a freer hand these days.
Alan M. said:
I remember back in the U-Decide days, there was some kind of huff (according to PAD) that they tried to make his not writing bad things about Marvel in But I Digress... a condition of his getting further employment...

Definitely a better move on Marvel's part if they're allowing a freer hand these days.

Don't forget, that was back when Jemas was in charge.
Rich Lane said:
Alan M. said:
I remember back in the U-Decide days, there was some kind of huff (according to PAD) that they tried to make his not writing bad things about Marvel in But I Digress... a condition of his getting further employment...

Definitely a better move on Marvel's part if they're allowing a freer hand these days.

Don't forget, that was back when Jemas was in charge.

I think it changed when Jemas tried to force his vision of the FF on then creators Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo and fired Waid off the book when he didn't agree. The fan reaction was so strong and so negative, the higher ups at Marvel brought Waid back in. I know I wrote, as a stock holder, to the president of Marvel during that time to state my displeasure at Waid being let go.
Rich Lane said:
If it was clear to him what was privileged information and what isn't prior to his comments, then no matter what I think of him as a writer or a person (and I generally have positive opinions on both accounts), his termination is probably justified. If it was not clear, then this is utterly wrong.

Will this affect the incorporation of Milestone into the DCU? Wasn't he part owner? Did DC buy the Milestone characters?

McDuffie revealed in those posts on the DC message boards that DC is basically leasing the Milestone characters. McDuffie and one of his creative partners still own the characters.

I read pretty much all of his comments on the DC board's JLA thread. His comments were insightful, but didn't seem to reveal anything too inflammatory about the creative process. He simply acknowledged that he didn't have much creative control over Justice League of America, but he knew that was part and parcel of writing the title.
Hmmm...based on McDuffie's comments at Newsarama, it sounds like he's been fired from just the comic, not from working for the company.
What he said about the comic didn't really push interest in reading it, that's for sure.
PowerBook Pete said:
What he said about the comic didn't really push interest in reading it, that's for sure.

I think his most inflammatory comment was posted elsewhere when a fan asked him if he enjoyed writing the comic and he replied "No."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Or "list", as some people say?"
5 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I think three of mine have been reposted thus far this month, and I know I've done it a couple…"
5 hours ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Is Cyber Force a super-hero team?  Should they be on the lit?"
6 hours ago
Tracy of Moon-T replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"621 - The camera crew was off their game. The concrete floor and lighting equipment is clearly…"
6 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Crimson Storm's cover reminds me a bit of New Mutants #1, mainly because Cannonball has a…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
""What's your take on [Cyberforce], Legionnaires?" This is my take: "I'm…"
7 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"And my apologies to JD DeLuzio - my only excuse is that 11 days is a long time! And the first one…"
7 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
7 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Ultraseven is now published by Marvel, then. I wonder if it is licensed or an in-house IP."
8 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Thank you, sir, I have added both the ASH and the LDH."
9 hours ago
Captain Comics posted discussions
10 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The Whitman Tell a Tale books were more like the Little Golden books."
10 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service