The arrival of Weird Fantasy Vol. 3 had the usual effect series collections have on me, making me wonder how close we were to finishing that series. In this case, that also means, by extension, the EC line.

I have cause to worry -- Dark Horse's track record on series collections isn't good. Currently it appears that the Tarzan, Archie and Crime Does Not Pay series have all stalled at nowhere near the end.

Anyway, I felt we were close enough to make a summary worthwhile. Here's where I think we are:

COMPLETED

Aces High: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Aces High Vol. 1.

Extra!: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Extra! Vol. 1.

Incredible Science Fiction: Four issues collected in EC Archives: Incredible Science Fiction Vol. 1.

Panic: 12 issues collected in EC Archives: Panic Vols. 1-2.

Shock SuspenStories: 18 issues collected in EC Archives: Crime SuspenStories Vols. 1-3.

Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt: 30 issues collected in EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt Vols. 1-5.

Valor: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Valor Vol. 1.

Weird Science: 22 issues collected in EC Archives: Weird Science Vols. 1-4.

SCHEDULED FOR COMPLETION

Haunt of Fear: Fifth and final volume scheduled for Oct. 23.

Vault of Horror: Fifth and final volume scheduled for Dec. 28.

Piracy: One volume, scheduled for Feb. 26, 2019

UNSCHEDULED

Crime SuspenStories #19-27: The first 18 issues have been collected in EC Archives: Crime SuspenStories Vols. 1-3..

Frontline Combat #7-15. The first six issues have been collected in Frontline Combat Vol. 1.

Impact! #1-5.

M.D. #1-5.

Psychoanalysis #1-5.

Two-Fisted Tales #36-41: Issues #18-35 have been collected in Two-Fisted Tales Vols. 1-3.

War Against Crime! #7-11: First six issues scheduled to be collected on Aug. 28 in EC Archives: War Against Crime! Vol. 1.

Weird Fantasy #19-22: The first 18 issues have been collected in EC Archives: Weird Fantasy Vols. 1-3.

Weird Science-Fantasy #25-26: Weird Science-Fantasy picked up the numbering of Weird Science with issue #23 and turned into Incredible Science Fiction with issue #30. Issues #23-24 were included in Werid Science Vol. 4, and issues #27-29 were included in Incredible Science Fiction Vol. 1. (I suspect these two issues will be collected with the last four issues of Weird Fantasy, for the standard six-issue package. But I don't know that for sure.)

I'm not including MAD, since DC Comics has that franchise now (and has reprinted all the comic book issues in MAD Archives Vols. 1-4). I'm also not including the Picto-Fiction line, which consisted of B&W magazines.

Did I miss anything? Who else is collecting these? And who's with me on wanting a few more pre-"New Trend" titles like Crime Patrol, Land of the Lost and Moon Girl?

Views: 2509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry Captain, I just saw this post asking about the Taschen. The only two others I own are the DC and Marvel histories which are both fantastic. They take a pretty in-depth look at the history of those two companies and have lots of great images. Highly recommend them. 

Captain Comics said:

Travis, do you recommend any of the other Taschen comics-related books? They sure have a lot of 'em.

I am with you and Captain Comics, my shelf space is so full. I am glad we are nearing the end of EC mostly because of space issues, but also because it will be nice to have it all collected. I haven't picked up the Warren publishing books because as you mentioned, it's a of shelf space, though I have picked up a few volumes on Comixology. I would recommend reading the book "Empire of Monsters" by Bill Schelly. It walks through the history of Warren Publishing and James Warren in particular and is a fascinating read about a lot of what you said, Captain, about Eerie kind of hitting rock bottom, the rise of Vampirella and a few of the other more obscure titles.

Also, f you haven't picked them up, I would strongly recommend the EC Artists Editions by IDW. They have a couple of general collections as well as a few that focus on one artist such as Wally Wood or Jack Davis. Seeing the art uncolored at that full size is fantastic. I want to buy two copies just so I can cut the pages out of one and frame them!  

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I am so far behind reading Creepy and Eerie and PSArt books that they're not even on my radar, but EC's Psychoanalysis is solicited in the latest Previews and so has a second volume of The Complete Bill Everett Sub-Mariner. I am so enthusiastic about the latter I can hardly contain myself. The first volume will likely win the "Jeffy" (now that we no longer do "Cappies") for "Best Reprint of the Year" and volume tow has a good shot at winning for 2020.

I have an eight-foot long shelf in my office built by my father. The entire top tier is filled with Marvel omnibuses (and they spill over to the second). The second tier is filled with DC omnibuses and the bottom tier is very nearly filled with both EC and Warren's Creepy and Eerie. (Yes, the complete run of EC and Warren in hardcover = 8 feet.) I really need to find a new shelf for EC and Warren so DC and Marvel can expend to fill the bottom tier. But my problem is not shelf space per se; it's floor space. I just don't have enough floor space for additional shelves. 

I know this discussion is primarily about the EC Archives series, but “How close are we to the end of…?”

THE CARL BARKS LIBRARY: Fantagraphics has been releasing these in seemingly random order for some time now (although probably not quite as random as it might seem). I suspect the led with the volumes containing Barks’ most popular stories (thereby roping in the completists and getting them hooked). Although each volume has its own number in the indicia, the volume number is not shown on the binding, so even an incomplete set won’t have any obvious gaping holes sitting on a shelf. So far, 17 consecutive volumes are available: 5-21. I don’t know how many volumes this series is expected to run, but there will be at least four more. (Apparently his early work is less popular…?)

For my own part, this is a series I have, only fairly recently, allowed myself to fall behind reading. I have not yet read the four most recently released volumes (17-19, 21), but this weekend I started v17.

The Carl Barks Ducks were my first foray into comic books in the mid 50s, later followed by the Superman family. I've been preordering this series and don't intend to miss any. Reading them so far is skimming.

The Carl Barks Library is going to run around 30 volumes. So there's probably 13 more to go. At two per year, the usual publishing schedule, it should run into 2027.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THE CARL BARKS LIBRARY: Fantagraphics has been releasing these in seemingly random order for some time now (although probably not quite as random as it might seem). I suspect the led with the volumes containing Barks’ most popular stories (thereby roping in the completists and getting them hooked).

If DC had used this approach when they were publishing The Spirit Archives I might have actually bought some.

I bought all The Spirit anyway, Richard, because it was one of those things I always heard about but never saw as a budding comics collector. (This was pre-Internet of course.) So when it came out, I jumped on it. And, yes, some years were better than others, so it would have benefited from the Carl Barks Library approach. 

OTOH, not having volume numbers on the spine can be aggravating!

Incidentally, Amazon has just listed Vol. 22 of the Carl Barks Library for spring of 2020.

Captain Comics said:

Incidentally, Amazon has just listed Vol. 22 of the Carl Barks Library for spring of 2020.

Yep! It's an Uncle Scrooge volume. I already have it sitting in my shopping cart, waiting for the expected price drop. Then I'll pre-order it.

EC ARCHIVES - IMPACT has been solicited for April 1 release.

Yes! Thrilled about this! 

"Impact" is the last EC book I really, really wanted and have never seen. So I'm thrilled, too!

That leaves only MD of the "New Direction" titles.

Psychoanalysis ("New Direction") has been solicited for February 18

Mad Love ("Pre-Trend") December 11

"New Trend" is complete.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service