Replies

• She was one of my mother's favorite actresses. She was the Angelina Jolie of her time. She rose from child actress to starlet to leading lady to icon.

She will always be Cleopatra to me!

She had a tumultous, fascinating, tragic and amazing life.

• She and Monty Clift will have a lot to talk about...
  • and Rock Hudson, and Michael Jackson...

I always think she was really at her best when playing agains tRichard Burton, possibly the greatest love of her life.  Rent a copy of Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolfe and tell me if I'm wrong.

• My father once told me he saw Elizabeth Taylor make an appearance on some talk show. The host (or the announcer -- I didn't see this myself) was a bit of a wiseguy, so he didn't introduce her as "Elizabeth Taylor" or "Elizabeth Warner" (at the time, she was married to John Warner, a future senator).

No, as she walks onto the stage, he calls her "Elizabeth Taylor Hilton Wilding Todd Fisher Burton Burton Warner!"

... and she turned around, walked off the stage, and left.

• You know I don't think I've ever seen one of her movies, but she still had an impact on me. My mom loved her perfume Passion. Every Christmas, I got my mom a bottle of Passion, she expected, and wanted it. One of my favorite interviews in a Dominick Dunne book was with her.
  • 1936041099?profile=original

The Butterfield 8/Cat on a Hot Tin Roof Liz was a big influence on the Selina Kyle character for Darwyn Cooke and Ed Brubaker.

• newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/23/westboro-baptist-church-plans-to-protest-elizabeth-taylors-funeral/

Here is the most surreal news item of the week.

I like columnist Leonard Pitts Jr's comment that Westboro is "no more a real church than the Playboy Mansion is a church."

• ...I discovered there's some men's Passion cologne of hers ( She disliked " Liz " , ) , as well , I think I might buy some when I've got the dosh...
  • "You know I don't think I've ever seen one of her movies, but she still had an impact on me."

Her must-see movies are "A Place in the Sun," "Giant," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," "Suddenly, Last Summer," "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and "The Taming of the Shrew." They've all been released on DVD.

I'm not a big fan of "Cleopatra," which is famous for all the wrong reasons: it was the most expensive movie up to that point, it almost put a major studio out of business, and it sparked the Taylor-Burton romance that drove the paparazzi crazy. As a movie, it's just average.

• It would be interesting to count the Cleopatra references Stan Lee dropped into Marvel Comics circa '63, when "Cleopatra" was the most heavily publicized movie since "Gone With the Wind." Iron Man and Dr. Strange met Cleopatra, and the FF took a journey to ancient Egypt.

A bit later, Karen Page went to a costume party as Cleopatra (in DD No. 5), prompting Foggy Nelson to say, "Karen, honey, if 20th Century-Fox had seen you first, Dick Burton would probably never have met Liz Taylor!"

This reply was deleted.