For more, see "This Week in Comics: Feb. 15-21, 2021, Part I"

… AND THE REST

2000 A.D. Oct 2020 Prog Pack

Abbott 1973 #2 (of 5)

Adachi and Shimamura GN Vol 1

Ajin GN Vol 16

Amazing Spider-Man #57 2nd Ptg

American Born Chinese SC with Flaps

Critics have been falling all over this book since it was first released in 2006, but I still haven't read it. I think I actually have it somewhere in the Comics Cave. Every time I pick it up I realize I just can't choke down any more coming-of-age stories, unless there's something else to keep my interest, like super-powers or a murder mystery or aliens. I'd certainly read American-Born Chinese with Zombies if they made one.

American Mythology Monsters #2

American Ronin #5 (of 5)

Amethyst TPB

Writer/Art/Cover by Amy Reeder

$16.99 US | $22.99 CAN | 152 PAGES

Amy Winston — better known as Princess Amethyst — returns to her magical kingdom to celebrate her 16th birthday in style. The only problem? Her kingdom is missing, her subjects have vanished, and none in the realm of Gemworld — not even her best friend, Lady Turquoise — remain loyal to her house! Alone and dejected, Amy is forced to confront dark secrets and explore the farthest reaches of Gemworld in order to find clues. Follow Amethyst’s mystical tour through astonishing crystalized kingdoms and encounter extraordinary creatures as she solves the mystery of her ransacked realm. Collects Amethyst #1-6.

I just realized looking at this cover that I haven't read any Amethyst comics since  the original — and charming — 1980s series that I still remember primarily for Ernie Colon's art. Amethyst (is she still Amy Winston?) has guest-starred in books I've read, so I take it she's an adult now, or at least in her late teens, and is a kick-ass warrior instead of an overwhelmed 13-year-old. I guess that makes more narrative sense for an ongoing character. I can't help feeling, though, that in ditching the original fairy-tale take we haven't lost something rare.

Ancient Magus Bride Alchemists Blue GN Vol 02

Archie Jumbo Comics Digest #317

Cover: Pat and Tim Kennedy, Bob Smith, Rosario “Tito” Peña, Jack Morelli

Script: Ron Robbins

Art: Pat & Tim Kennedy, Jim Amash, Glenn Whitmore, Jack Morelli

192-page / FC / $7.99 U.S.

BRAND NEW STORY: “Pop’s Purr-fect Birthday!” Archie and his friends are surprising Pop Tate with a special birthday dinner at a brand new fancy restaurant in Riverdale. Little do they know, Pop actually knows the celebrity chef owner — in fact, they’re old rivals! Will Pop’s birthday dinner be perfect … or a purrfect mess?

Assassin’s Creed: Blade of Shao Jun GN Vol 1

Bakemonogatari GN Vol 7

Barbalien Red Planet #4 (of 5)

Batman/Catwoman #3

Batman: Gotham Knights: Contested TPB

Cover by Brian Bolland

Written by Devin Grayson and Chuck Dixon

Art by Roger Robinson, John FLoyd and Leonardo Manco

$29.99 US | $39.99 CAN | 296 Pages | FC | DC

The eclectic early millennium stories of Batman, Nightwing, and the extended Bat-family continue as Dick Grayson returns to his acrobat roots to take on the criminal sister duo, Double Dare! Then, Batman calls Aquaman for a favor, Scarecrow unleashes his fear toxin in Arkham, and Superman pays a visit to Gotham City! Collects the lead stories from Batman: Gotham Knights #14-24 and #29.

I didn't realize Devin Grayson was back writing comic books. I guess she's been forgiven for trying to make Dick Grayson gender-fluid, or bisexual, or whatever she was trying to do back in the day.

Black Knight #1 Facsimile Edition

Every time I see Joe Maneely's art, I wonder about all the wonderful comics we never got to see, thanks to his untimely death. He was head and shoulders above his peers in the late '50s. Who knows what heights he could have reached? Who knows how the Marvel Universe would have looked, if he had been Stan Lee's main partner instead of Jack Kirby? Sadly, we'll never know.

Black Panther Epic Collection TPB Revenge of the Black Panther New Ptg

Black Panther: Who Is the Black Panther? Marvel Select HC

Black Widow #5

Blade of the Immortal Deluxe Edition HC Vol 2

Bleed Them Dry TPB

Blue Flag GN Vol 6

Byte Sized #3

Cable #8

Captain America #27

Captain America Heroes Return Complete Collection TPB Vol 1

Cardcaptor Sakura Coll Ed HC Vol 7 (of 9)

Cat Kid Comic Club HC GN with Dustjacket Vol 1

Cat Shit TPB Vol 1

Catwoman Vol. 4: Come Home, Alley Cat TPB

Cover by Joëlle Jones

Written by Ram V, Paula Sevenbergen, Blake Northcott and Sean Murphy

Art by Fernando Blanco, Mirka Andolfo, Aneke and Cian Tormey

$19.99 US | $25.99 CAN | 248 Pages | FC

In the aftermath of “The Joker War,” Selina Kyle has taken up residence in Alleytown. But when she finds that her old stomping grounds have been taken over by drug-running mobsters, she hatches a plan to take the town back! But unbeknownst to her, she’s being tracked by a terrifying new foe: a hit man in priest’s clothing known only as Father Valley, who carries a bag of bibles around as trophies from each of his victims. Will she be able to loosen the mafia’s stranglehold on her new hometown or become another victim to Father Valley’s sacred oath? Plus, Selina heads to the jungle to steal a diamond from a supervillain auction! Collects Catwoman #14-15 and #22-28.

Cells at Work Baby GN Vol 1

Champions #4

Chobits 20th Anniversary Ed HC Vol 3

Courier Liberty & Death #2 (of 3)

Crisis on Multiple Earths Vol. 1: Crossing Over

Daily Lives of High School Boys GN Vol 4

I was, at one time, a high school boy. And my daily life wasn't very interesting, I assure you.

Daredevil by Chip Zdarsky TPB Vol 5 Truth or Dare

Dark Shadows: The Complete Series HC Vol 1 New Ptg

Dawn of X TPB Vol

Day I Divorced God GN

Day I Was Forced To Marry God GN

Days of Love at Seagull Villa GN Vol 2

Days on Fes GN Vol 1

Devil’s Highway TPB

Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon GN Vol 1

Dragon Kingdom of Wrenly GN Vol 1 Coldfire Curse

Dungeons & Dragons Infernal Tides TPB

Eniale & Dewiela GN Vol 2

Enki Bilal: Legends of Today HC

Writer: Pierre Christin

Artist: Enki Bilal

Titan, 128pp, $39.99, £35.99

Antagonised by an enigmatic character with supernatural powers, which serves as a theme for the trilogy, the three stories delve into the lives of various traditional communities (a village of the Landes, a Breton fishing port, a small working-class town in the North) as they fight against the police, the army, and all those in power, whose action, at the time, was very controversial.

Expanse #3 (of 4)

Excellence #10

Failed Princesses GN Vol 3

Family Tree #11

Forever Home OGN

Freaks & Gods #4

GFT Presents: Quarterly Darkwatchers

Girl Without a Face GN Vol 1

Golden Kamuy GN Vol 20

Guardians of the Galaxy #11

Haha #2 (of 6)

Haru's Curse GN

Heaven's Design Team GN Vol 3

History Comics GN Wild Mustang

Hollywood Trash #5 (of 5)

Hotline Miami Wildlife #6 (of 8)

How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? GN Vol 5

H.P. Lovecraft: Shadow over Innsmouth TPB

I’d Invaded Brake-Broken GN Vol 1

Infinite Adventures: Supernova GN Pepper Page Saves Universe

Investigators GN Vol 3 Off the Hook

Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon #2 (of 6)

Iron Man #6

I Wish I Could Say Thank You GN

Jim Henson’s Dark Crystal: Journey into Mondo Leviadin HC

The Joker War Saga HC

Cover by Ben Oliver

Written by James Tynion IV, John Ridley, Joshua Williamson, Peter J. Tomasi, Cecil Castgellucci, Dan Jurgens, Ram V, Scott Lobdell and Sam Humphries

Art by Jorge Jimenez, Guillem March, Carlo Pagulayan, Kenneth Rocafort, Robbi Rodriguez, Ryan Benjamin, Brett Booth, Riley Rossmo and others

$39.99 US | 366 Pages | FC

The summer 2020 blockbuster “The Joker War” is collected in this new hardcover that includes the tie-in chapters starring Batgirl, Red Hood, Nightwing, Catwoman, and, of course, Harley Quinn! As the Clown Prince of Crime battles the Dark Knight Detective head-to-head one last time. The Joker has never wanted to win before — he’s never wanted his battle with Batman to end. But now his motivation has shifted.

This collection features the Joker’s confrontation with Batgirl; his manipulation of the amnesiac Nightwing; and a turf war between Gotham City’s many evildoers! Plus, the debut of Clownhunter, a cameo by Ghost-Maker, and an epic battle between Harley Quinn and Punchline!

Collects Batman #95-100, Batgirl #47, Detective Comics #1025, Red Hood: Outlaw #48, Nightwing #74, The Joker War Zone #1, plus stories from Harley Quinn #75 and Catwoman #25.

I was really underwhelmed by this "event," but I can't tell if that's because it really was as pedestrian and predictable as it seemed, or if I just have Joker fatigue right now and am pre-disposed to dislike anything with the Mirthful Mountebank in it. It didn't help that the far superior Three Jokers was published at the same time. Opinions?

Katakoi Lamp GN

Locker Room TPB

Lunatic GN Wordless Story

Machine Girl & Space Invaders #4

Mad Magazine #18

Written and illustrated by The Usual Gang of Idiots

$5.99 US | 56 Pages | FC

The secret’s out — and so are the agents! Mad #18 is our all-espionage issue, featuring Peter Kuper’s final installment of Spy vs. Spy! Celebrating the 60-year-saga of Antonio Prohías’ sneaky secret agents, we revisit the work of the artists and writers who contributed to this iconic cartoon, including Duck Edwing, Bob Clarke, and Dave Manak. Plus, we’re “Wishin’ for the Impossible,” watching “James Bomb,” play one awful game of “Charades,” and, as usual, try to “Forget Smart.”

Man and His Cat GN Vol 3

Marauders #18

Marvel #5 (of 6)

Marvel Masterworks: Howard the Duck Vol. 1

Collecting: Howard The Duck (1976) 1-14; Marvel Treasury Edition (1974) 12; Material From Fear (1970) 19; Man-Thing (1974) 1; Giant-Size Man-Thing (1974) 4-5; Foom (1973) 15

The 300th Marvel Masterworks will star … Howard the Duck!

For more than 30 years, the Marvels Masterworks line has collected the most seminal stories of your favorite Marvel heroes. Across 299 volumes, the iconic tales of Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Spider-Woman, Dazzler, and more have been presented in this stunning hardcover collections, and this March, Marvel is proud to present the 300th volume of Marvel Masterworks. While there were several worthy candidates for this milestone edition, only one waddled away with victory: Howard the Duck! See below for a special direct market exclusive variant cover to commemorate this landmark edition!

Steve Gerber and his artistic cohorts Val Mayerik, Frank Brunner and Gene Colan delivered one of comics’ most iconoclastic and hilarious characters when they created Howard the Duck. His inaugural Masterworks kicks off with his quirky first appearance as a “fowl out of water” alongside the macabre Man-Thing, where they team up to protect Cleveland from the Man-Frog and Hellcow. The satirical stories continue with Howard and gal pal Beverly Switzler taking on dire threats such as the Space Turnip, the Beaver and — public transportation??! All this and more restored in Masterworks glory!

I wasn't sure what to make of HTD when it first came out. It was funny-ish, but mostly it was bitter and cynical. I suppose it was very specific to Steve Gerber's worldview, so personal that maybe it didn't always translate to mass entertainment. But nobody else could write Howard — after Gerber was kicked off the book (for filing an ownership lawsuit), the concept absolutely nose-dived. (The cross-species sex didn't help. Howard and Bev were friends, IMHO, and anything more than that is borderline bestiality, from both characters' perspective.) I bought them all, and I'll buy this MMW, but there was always a vague tickle in the back of my head (the English major section) that there was something I was missing. What do y'all think? I'd love to hear some opinions.

I also wonder if the Marvel Masterworks line is heading for a finale. Some titles, like MMW: Uncanny X-Men, are reaching the point where high-quality, hardcover reprints already exist in Omnibus form.

Mermaid Saga Collectors Edition GN Vol 2 (of 2)

Mieruko-Chan GN Vol 2

Miskatonic #4

MODOK: Head Games #3 (of 4)

Ms. Marvel TPB Army of One

Nain Rouge Red Legend TPB

Once & Future #16

Overlord Undead King Oh GN Vol 6

Oz: Heart of Magic GN

Pantomime #4 (of 6)

Penultiman #5 (of 5)

Picture of Everything Else #2

Pirates vs. Ninjas TPB

Power Rangers #4

Power Up GN

Pre-Code Classics Horrific HC

Cover: Don Heck

Writers: Various

Art: Don Heck, Don Perlin, A.C. Hollingsworth, Rudy Palais, Kenneth Landau, Marty Elkin, Pete Morisi, others

PS Artbooks / HC, $46.99 / Slipcase, $56.99 / Softee, $24.99

Comic Media were a respectable publisher that produced two horror titles, Weird Terror and HORRIFIC - we’ve selected a few of these fabulous weird tales of terror issues here in this collection! The odd thing about these titles is that the publisher was convinced that faces sold comics; he insisted that every issue have some sort of a face dominating the cover, and Don Heck, his cover artist, eagerly obliged. Werewolf faces, monster faces, terrified faces -- but always faces. It makes Comic Media comics rather noticeable. So with the obvious answer staring you in the face you four-colour fiends - go get ‘em pronto! Because by 1955 Don was recruited by Stan Lee and went on to be one of the architects of what became known as “The Marvel Age of Comics” so you won’t be getting any more of those fabulous covers! Collects Horrific #4-8 (March to November 1953). 

I'm waaaaay behind on these books. But it's not my fault! Honest!

First, there was like a nine-month period where I didn't receive any PS Artbooks at all. I was pretty sure the delay was from COVID, but to be sure I contacted Westfield (where I order them). They confirmed that PS hadn't sent anything out in ages, so I was content to wait.

Then I suddenly received, like, six books. Then a couple of weeks later, four more. Last week, three more. That's a lot of books!

Especially since I've discovered, to my chagrin, that the silver books collect fingerprints like Trump collects impeachable offenses. No matter how clean my hands, a sort-of greasy smear appears on the back of the book where I hold it while reading. Curses! So now I only read the silver ones when I am in a position to place the book on a clean surface without holding it, which means A) not in bed, B) not on the couch, or C) anywhere I normally read books! I have to plan when and where I read them now, which is slowing me down mightily.

Pre-Code Classics The Beyond HC Vol 5

Art: Lin Streeter, Dick Beck, Jim McLauchlin, Louis Zansky, Sy Grudko, Ken Rice, Lou Cameron, others

PS Artbooks / HC, $46.99 / Slipcase, $56.99
There's something spooky about the flight crew featured on the cover of the penultimate volume of Ace Magazines' The Beyond, and the scares don't end there, Captain, as, of course, you would expect with such a creative line-up of sketchers and scribblers featured in issues 21 through 25 from the glorious golden years, I mean, hey, we're talking Sy Grudko, Dick Beck, Lou Cameron, Jim McLaughlin, Lin Streeter, Ken Rice and Louis Zansky So don't hang about, when you thought it was gonna be safe to put your wallet away, think again cos here comes even more fun 'n' games in the form of ghouls and cadavers, vampires and ghosts! Collects The Beyond #21-25 (July 1953 to March 1954).

PS Artbooks Planet Comics Softee Vol 3

Art: Arthur Peddy, Alex A. Blum, Charlie Sultan, Bob Powell, Henry C. Kiefer, Nick Cardy, Gene Fawcette, Charles Quinlan, Dan Zolnerowich, John Celardo, George Tuska, others

PS Artbooks / $24.99

Continuing the Softee series of Planet Comics, the fabulous 1940s comic which must have helped create so many astronauts of the present day, albeit minus the ray guns and Bug Eye Monsters... shame! All of these tales created by the staggering artwork from the likes of Bob Powell, Alex Blum, Dan Zolnerowich, Arthur Peddy, Henry Kiefer, Fletcher Hanks, Charles Quinlan, Witmer Williams, Charles Sultan, John Celardo, Gene Fawcette and George Tuska. Read 'em and weep, space heroes! Collects issues #7-9 (July to September 1940).

Psycho List TPB Vol 1

Pup Detective GN Vol 1 First Case

Pup Detective GN Vol 2 Tigers Eye

Ragna Crimson GN Vol 1

Recount #2

Red Sonja: The Price of Blood #3 (of 3)

Cover A: Arthur Suydam

Cover B: Michael Golden

Cover C: Joseph Michael Linsner

Cover D: Walter Geovani

Cover E: Angel Ray Cosplay

Writer: Luke Lieberman

Art: Walter Geovani

Dynamite / 32 Pages / Teen+ / Price: $3.99

The fiery conclusion as Sonja's Death hangs in the balance! Red Sonja caretaker Luke Lieberman concludes his latest opus featuring the fiery-haired heroine in another chapter of her early adventures. He's joined by fan-favorite Sonja artist Walter Geovani (Death-Defying 'Devil, Clean Room) whose prolific work on the character goes back over a decade, most celebrated being his run with Gail Simone!

Sabrina: Something Wicked #5 (of 5)

Cover A: Veronica Fish

Cover B: Sweeney Boo

Cover C: Andy Fish

Script: Kelly Thompson

Art: Veronica Fish, Andy Fish, Jack Morelli

32-page / full color comic / $3.99 U.S.

The thrilling conclusion of Sabrina: Something Wicked is here, and it’s going to put our magical teen heroine face-to-face in a battle against someone unexpected — will everything Sabrina’s learned about magic help her through this ordeal?

Sacred Six #7

Cover A: Lucio Parrillo

Cover B: Stephane Roux

Cover C: Elias Chatzoudis

Cover D: Fay Dalton

Cover E: Derrick Chew

Writer: Christopher Priest

Art: Julius Ohta, Stephane Roux

Page Count: 32 Pages / Teen+ / $3.99

Our second story arc begins with our women of the evening, having lost the woman who'd drawn hem together, Lilith of Drakulon, but discovering a new and more powerful incentive to stay and defend the peaceful vampires of Ashthorne: cold, hard cash. Plus the non-team gets one and one-half new recruits-and they don't even realize it! Bonus: our new Chastity microseries, drawn by fan favorite artist Stephane Roux begins here!

Saga of Tanya Evil GN Vol 13

Saki Succubus Hungers Tonight GN Vol 5

Sayonara Football GN Vol 3 Farewell My Dear Cramer

Scene of the Crime TPB

Scooby Doo: Where Are You? #108

Art and cover by Walter Carzon

Written by Sholly Fisch

$2.99 US | 32 Pages | FC | DC

Talk of mysterious curses and lost treasure is pretty common out on the moors, but when a terrifying howling begins to haunt the night, Scooby and the gang are called upon to investigate. Finding themselves trapped in Wilson Gottrich III’s mansion with his strange guests, the gang will need their combined sleuthing skills to uncover the mystery before it’s too late to escape from the Hound of the Moors …

Second Coming Only Begotten Son #2

Sensational Wonder Woman #7

Serial #1 2nd Ptg

Sign of Affection GN Vol 1

Silk: Out of the Spider-Verse TPB Vol 1

Slasher Maidens GN Vol 2

Soul Eater Perfect Edition HC GN Vol 3

Spider-Woman #9

Star Crossed GN Vol 1

Steam Wars TPB 2nd Ptg

Stillwater by Zdarsky & Perez #6

Strange Academy GN TPB First Class

Stranger Things D&D Crossover #4

Super Turbo GN Vol 1 Saves the Day

Super Turbo HC GN Vol 2 vs Flying Ninhja Squirrels

Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Vol. 3

Cover by Tom Yeates

Written by Martin Pasko, Dan Mishkin, Len Wein and Bruce Jones

Art by Tom Yeates, Jan Duursema, Bo Hampton, Stephen Bissette, Bernie Wrightson, Mark Texeira and others

$39.99 US | $53.99 CAN 416 Pages | FC

The saga of one of DC’s most unique characters continues in this collection of horror comics classics! Swamp Thing takes on monsters both human and inhuman in these stories, including Anton Arcane and his Un-Men and the sinister General Sunderland! Plus, the adaptation of the Swamp Thing movie, and a reprint of the classic Swamp Thing tale that introduces the Un-Men! Collects The Saga of the Swamp Thing #1-19 and The Saga of the Swamp Thing Annual #1.

Sylvie GN

Teen Titans Vol. 4: Robin No More TPB

Written by Adam Glass and Robbie Thompson

Art by Eduardo Pansica, Julio Ferreira and Javier Fernandez

Cover by Bernard Chang

$19.99 US | $25.99 CAN | 256 Pages | FC

As this collection begins, Djinn is trapped in her ring with no escape while the Teen Titans go hunting for her older brother Elias, the only one capable of saving her. But Elias’s dark side is the stuff of legends...and the Teen Titans know he can’t be trusted. Then, with Robin gone and Mercy Hall shut down, can there still be a Teen Titans? And while Damian hunts the KGBeast, the team is on his trail—and they’re determined to find him before Batman does! Collects Teen Titans #39-47 and Teen Titans Annual #2.

This title was previously solicited as Teen Titans Vol. 4: Djinn Wars.

Terminal Punks #4 (of 5)

Thirteenth Floor TPB Vol 2

Thor #12

TMNT: The Last Ronin #2 (of 5)

Secrets of this dark future will be revealed as The Ronin meets an unexpected new ally and the Foot Clan attempts to thwart his mission of vengeance.

Uncanny X-Men Omnibus HC Vol 4

Urusei Yatsura GN Vol 9

Vampirella: Dark Powers #3

Cover A: Jae Lee

Cover B: Joseph Michael Linsner

Cover C: Will Robson

Cover D: Junggeun Yoon

Cover E: Vanta Black Cosplay

Writer: Dan Abnett

Art: Paul Davidson

Dynamite / 32 Pages / Teen+ / $3.99

Vampirella and her fellow heroes patrol a (retro) future world, full of bizarre villains, creatures, threats. But when danger strikes, will Vampi side with her team ... or consider aligning with the darkness? By DAN ABNETT (Justice League Odyssey) and PAUL DAVIDSON (Annihilation)!

Walking Dead Deluxe #9

We Live #5

White Cats Revenge Plotted Dragon Kings Lap GN Vol 2

Witch’s Love at the End of the World GN Vol 2

X-Men TPB Evolution

Zom 100 Bucket List of the Dead GN Vol 1

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Who knows how the Marvel Universe would have looked, if [Joe Maneely] had been Stan Lee's main partner instead of Jack Kirby?"

Mark Evanier once addressed that topic in The Jack Kirby Collector as I recall.

"I bought them all, and I'll buy this MMW..."

Do you want to buy mine 9classic trade dress)? I pre-ordered it then changed my mind after it was too late to cancel. Anyone...?

"I also wonder if the Marvel Masterworks line is heading for a finale."

I've been wondering that for a long time (and kind of hoping, if I'm being honest). There are currently some pretty lame series now being offered in the format that was once reserved for the cream of the crop.

"I'm waaaaay behind on these books. But it's not my fault! Honest!"

Me, too, but in my case, it is my fault.

"Then I suddenly received, like, six books."

The PSArtbooks literally arrive on a "slow boat from China." It's cheaper that way, and their books always arrive in a dump. ("Dump" is the collective noun for PSArtbooks.) 

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Dump" is the collective noun for PS Artbooks.

I was telling my wife how reprints of pulps fared poorly in the '60s paperback market, because nobody was willing to pay for poorly written reprints from the '50s when they could get new Isaac Asimov or Erle Stanley Gardner for the same price. She said, "You buy poorly written reprints from the '50s."

Well, she's got me there.

• When Fantastic Four started Marvel was publishing

Amazing Adult Fantasy

Amazing Adventures

Journey into Mystery

Strange Tales

Tales of Suspense

Tales to Astonish

Gunsmoke Western

Kid Colt Outlaw

Rawhide Kid

Kathy

Life with Millie

Millie the Model

Patsy and Hedy

Patsy Walker

Linda Carter, Student Nurse

Love Romances

Teen-Age Romance

I've arranged the titles by genre. Many of these were bimonthlies.

Looking at the comics from this period it's easy for us to think the comics in which the Marvel U emerged were the ones that mattered. But the size of Marvel's line was capped, so if a title was being published, that was the best use Marvel thought it could make of the slot. The notable absences are war comics (Marvel had dropped Battle in early 1960) and little kids'/funny animal comics (Homer the Happy Ghost had been dropped in 1958).

Evidently Marvel wished to have titles for girls as well as boys. Kirby did the covers for the boys' comics and sometimes the romance titles. But it was Jack Keller who drew the Kid Colt stories in Kid Colt Outlaw and Gunsmoke Western. Kirby did back-up stories for the latter, and was the artist on Rawhide Kid.

Kirby wound up back at Marvel because he fell out with Jack Schiff. If Maneely had lived he may have wound up back there anyway, but perhaps Marvel would have had less work for Kirby. Perhaps he wouldn't have given up on newspaper strips. When Fantastic Four started he was still drawing Sky Masters.

Lee may have perceived him and Maneely as most useful at different things, so I don't know we can assume either would have been Lee's first choice on everything. I imagine Maneely would have designed covers.

According to Lee, Marvel did Fantastic Four because Goodman heard Justice League of America was doing well. So the impulse to get back into superheroes came from neither Lee nor Kirby. Kirby's love of SF is evident from all his work, but I don't know it's clear he was strongly drawn to superheroes. Most of his superheroes before the 1960s were costumed scrappers rather than the superpowered kind. He'd recently drawn stories for The Adventures of the Fly and The Double Life of Private Strong for Archie, but they were Joe Simon's projects. His recent superhero feature at DC was "Green Arrow". Earlier in the 1950s S&K had done Fighting American (which started as a reprise of Captain America, then attempted to combine the superhero and MAD approaches), and Captain 3-D (the hero of which had superpowers).

So it's possible Lee would have done Fantastic Four with Maneely rather than Kirby. On the other hand, he didn't do it with Ditko, and he presumably could have. It may have been a consideration that Ditko wasn't exclusive to Marvel; he was working for Charlton.

Kirby's covers were probably seen as a chief selling-point of the monster comics. The new superheroes of 1962 were introduced into these; apparently, the success of Fantastic Four prompted a decision to establish a superhero line, and this line replaced the monster line. Initially the new features were still backed by uncanny stories.

It's my theory Incredible Hulk was intended as a monster comic, a Comics Code-complaint equivalent of Prize's Frankenstein title. Lee wrote it himself, like Fantastic Four. But except for "Spider-Man", the 1962 superhero features were written by his brother, Larry Lieber.

• Red Sonja: The Price of Blood #3 (of 3) - Cover E

The artist clearly has a real-world model in mind for Sonja.  I know  that face and pose.

Is that ... Shakira?

• The same pose appears above on Sacred Six #7 cover A.

This reply was deleted.