Going Through My Graphic Novels: Cull or Keep? (SPOILERS)

I've got rather alot of graphic novels, most of which sit on my bookshelves or in boxes in my closets from one year to the next, never being looked at. So, I've decided to go through them all, re-reading each one and deciding whether to keep it or to cull it. Culls will be donated to the local public library.

As I re-read each one, I'm going to try to present my impression of each one, and then announce the verdict: Cull or Keep?

There will be spoilers here, so beware. I most likely won't read one every day, but I 'm going to try to keep up a steady pace.

Views: 4640

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

JS: ....so we did the thing and it turned out they had all these pajamas and lunchboxes with Robin’s pictures on it, so within a couple months I was out of DC because I screwed up their merchandising department.

It may have been tongue in cheek on Starlin's part, but wouldn't they be mad at Denny because he was the editor?

I said:

One supposes the poll was closed as late as possible, since it was advertising for the story... DC could conceivably have closed the poll before #428 was drawn.

The GCD has images of the two covers of #427 here. The direct market one says "You will decide. Details on inside back cover." and the newsstand one doesn't. According to the GCD's page on the issue, which points this out, the direct sales edition went on sale three weeks before the other and the newsstand edition didn't have the phone number inside. Presumably the poll closed before the newsstand issue went on sale, or soon after.

I read somewhere (CBG?) that he almost lived but a lot of votes to kill him came pouring in the last day or so of the voting.

I remember Neal Adams' poster for Tim Drake's debut. It had been so many years since I'd heard of him I was surprised he was still in comics.

Richard Willis said:

JS: ....so we did the thing and it turned out they had all these pajamas and lunchboxes with Robin’s pictures on it, so within a couple months I was out of DC because I screwed up their merchandising department.

It may have been tongue in cheek on Starlin's part, but wouldn't they be mad at Denny because he was the editor?

Starlin has stated in various interviews that O'Neill took all the credit for everything (Denny came up with the idea of the telephone poll), until there was blowback from the merchandising department for killing off Robin, then Denny threw Starlin to the wolves, saying it was all Starlin's idea.  Starlin did one issue of Batman after Death of the Family before being fired off the title.

Why didn't someone realize before they killed Robin that the merchandising department might complain? Doesn't seem very well thought out.

Last night I read Avengers Disassembled: Thor, by Michael Avon Oeming with Daniel Berman and Andrea DiVito. This reprints Thor #80-85, and tells the story of Ragnarok, and of Thor attmepting to break the cycle that the gods find themselves trapped in.

This is very good stuff, with a real "epic" quality to it. I especially like the way the friendship between Thor, Cap and Iron Man is portrayed. That's the sort of stuff that is Marvel at it best. The art is really quite good, and really suits the story.

Cull or Keep?: Keep!

Richard Willis said:

Starlin has stated in various interviews that O'Neill took all the credit for everything (Denny came up with the idea of the telephone poll), until there was blowback from the merchandising department for killing off Robin, then Denny threw Starlin to the wolves, saying it was all Starlin's idea.  Starlin did one issue of Batman after Death of the Family before being fired off the title.

If true that just seems silly. You can still merchandise of a dead character. Elvis has been dead for decades, and his stuff still sells.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

If true that just seems silly. You can still merchandise of a dead character. Elvis has been dead for decades, and his stuff still sells.

I agree. How many people, let alone the target market of little kids, would even know Jason Todd was killed? How many even heard of Jason Todd? I don't remember any mainstream news about Robin dying. I think most of the public, even today, thinks he's Dick Grayson. Sounds like the marketing people still thought young kids read comics.

A lot of people still think Elvis is alive.

I thought this was a classy collection beautifully paced and drawn.

Grown up comics.

The Baron said:

Last night I read Avengers Disassembled: Thor, by Michael Avon Oeming with Daniel Berman and Andrea DiVito. This reprints Thor #80-85, and tells the story of Ragnarok, and of Thor attmepting to break the cycle that the gods find themselves trapped in.

This is very good stuff, with a real "epic" quality to it. I especially like the way the friendship between Thor, Cap and Iron Man is portrayed. That's the sort of stuff that is Marvel at it best. The art is really quite good, and really suits the story.

Richard Willis said:

I don't remember any mainstream news about Robin dying.

I saw an item. It was a report from an American TV show. It said fans saw Robin as a brat, and used the cover of Batman #424 (in which Robin possibly commits murder).

Next up was Squadron Supreme,by Mark Gruenwald, with art by John Buscema, Bob Hall, Paul Ryan, Paul Neary, Sam De La Rosa, John Beatty, Keith Williams, Jackson Guice and Dennis Janke.

This collection includes Squadron Supreme #1-12 and Captain America #314. I daresay most people here are familiar with this one - if you aren't, you should give it a read.  I give Gruenwald credit, he took characters that were thinly-veiled JLA pastiches and made them interesting characters in their own rights, having them do things and go places that the originals couldn't have done and gone. The art is a little uneven, but never too bad.  Good stuff!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service