I begin with my traditional spoiler space picture of someone who has nothing to do with the topic at hand:

Alan Hale Sr. & Jr. (To quote Russell Johnson: "At one point, the two men looked almost exactly alike."

Issue #1 covers from the beginning of time to the birth of one James Howlett. Random thoughts:

1. The art is tolerable, but not great. I would've put a better art team on a book like this, myself.
  2. The storyline is, essentially, Galactus and Franklin Richards sitting around at the end of time, shooting the breeze while waiting for the universe to end. Apparently, Galactus' energies will be the seed to create the next universe, which Franklin will survive into. (Is he going to become the next universe's "Galactus"? Anyway, Franklin asks Galactus to narrate the history of the universe to him, so he'll remeber it all in the next iteration of reality.
  3. The problem with this set-up is that it tends to go all over the place.  One minute they're talking about cosmic stuff, the next minute fairly mundane stuff.  Why would Galactus know or care about Sir Percy of Scandia or the Two-Gun Kid?
  4. Marvel cosmology is littered with "cosmic" characters, the vast majority or whom are not even infinitesimally interesting.
  5. The annotations at the back would be interesting, I suppose, if you were the sort of Hardcore Fanatical Completist who owns copies of every comic Marvel ever published and might therefore be liable to go look them up.

Next Time: Captain America! The Human Torch! Bucky! The Red Skull! Marvel Girl! Iron fist! Doctor Strange! Namora! Mystique?

Views: 848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“1) Where do you keep these new treasury size books and how do you keep them safe?”

I keep them on a shelf. If you haven’t seen the new “treasury editions” (Marvel has released fpour or five of them so far), there not exactly like the ones from the ‘70s. The dimensions are roughly the same except they’re thicker (more pages). The paper stock is slick and the covers are kind of like vinyl with no dust jacket. Until this one, they have reprinted the FF and X-Men “Grand Design” stories, which had a unique, old-looking (yellowed) paper stock. I’m happy to say this TE was printed on appropriately shiny stock.

“2) Howard the Duck hasn't looked like Howard the Duck since Gene Colan stopped drawing him!”

…and I stopped buying him.

“I enjoyed the M2 Universe ‘Last Planet Standing’ miniseries…”

Oh, yeah. I read that. Don’t remember much about it, though.

Philip Portelli said:

2) Howard the Duck hasn't looked like Howard the Duck since Gene Colan stopped drawing him!

That's because the Walt Disney Company leaned on Marvel Comics to change Howard's appearance, and Marvel immediately caved.*

Contrary to widespread belief, Disney didn't sue, but it didn't have to. Disney provided Marvel with a model sheet delineating the specifications of Howard's new look, which included pants. (Bill Manto made that a story point in one of the black-and-white Howard the Duck issues. From CBR: "How Walt Disney Forced Howard the Duck to Wear Pants!")

* Here's the short version from CBR, although the images don't show (at least not for me; maybe they'll show for you): "Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed #121"  A more extensive version is here at MousePlanet (and the images do show): "The History of Howard the Duck, Part Two"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service