http://www.avclub.com/articles/joss-whedons-shield-show-is-a-go-at-...

Yay!  It'll be nice to have another Joss Whedon series on television every week -- even if his involvement will apparently be somewhat limited.

Views: 1045

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This series could be great, even if it does look a bit slick rather than 'street'.  So many pretty LA faces!

If that's not Luke Cage, then why not?  Luke deserves his moment.

I can see them setting the first few seasons before the Avengers movie.  The impression from the trailer is that these heroes are only now coming out of the woodwork.  Also, if there's any artistic integrity involved, then they wouldn't want to cheapen Coulsen's big send-off from the movie.  This isn't Austen Powers they are making.  (Maybe by season 4 or 5, they'll be camping it up that way?)

Given the set-up of the super-powered beings turning up and needing to be contained/controlled, it's hard not to see them going down the 'mutants hated and feared' route.  But isn't that the X-Men's schtick?

Some have speculated the guy who probably isn't Luke Cage might be Rage. Sweet Christmas!

And I posted the video two days ago, KSWolf! *Sob!* No one appreciates me around here! I work my fingers to the bone, and all I get is bony fingers!

Figserello said:

Given the set-up of the super-powered beings turning up and needing to be contained/controlled, it's hard not to see them going down the 'mutants hated and feared' route. But isn't that the X-Men's schtick?

The set-up actually reminds me of the CHASE comic from DC. Mystery people (good? bad?) being investigated.

SHIELD in the trailer seems to be more focused on the super-powered people than on 'security' per se.  Which makes them very like Chase's crowd, true.  (Were they called the DEA?)

I have to say I pretty much disliked Chase. Agents of Shield for all it's faults is certainly a lot better,

Andy

Why exactly did they make Coulson? There are plenty of SHIELD agents already existing in the comics they could have used. Clay Quartermain? Jasper Sitwell? Heck, Dum Dum Dugan.

I liked Chase, and I liked Chase. I was sorry to see it canceled. But the central tension -- decent person in an indecent job -- could only pertain for so long, and I wasn't surprised to see it go.

As to Coulson, I assume they made him as a throwaway character that they could, literally, throw away at some point. I'd bet a dollar they were saving the more famous names for more prominent jobs. But then Coulson unexpectedly became popular, so now he's got the job that would otherwise have gone to a Dugan, Jones, Sitwell or Quartermain.

That's my guess, anyway.

Of course they used the Sitwell name for a traitor.

Kind of like Mr. Phelps. Sitwell was loyal to a fault--literally. I remember hating him for insisting he was going to follow around and protect Tony Stark, who was desperately trying to get rid of the doofus so he could change to Iron Man and save both of their lives. When exactly did he become competent?

Are they perhaps waiting to get the Fantastic Four back before using Namor in a movie? Perhaps they're not certain whether they want him to be a hero or a villain.

Captain Comics said:

I liked Chase, and I liked Chase. I was sorry to see it canceled. But the central tension -- decent person in an indecent job -- could only pertain for so long, and I wasn't surprised to see it go.

Hmmm... that's the entire basis for Gotham, watching rookie detective Jim Gordon flail about in a corrupt environment -- and fail, to the extent that a vigilante has to rise to do the Gotham P.D.'s work for them. The producers have said so.

I wonder how well that can work over the long haul ...

I realize you're being sarcastic, CK, but yes, I thought that was the premise for Chase, and I was interested to see how long she could keep doing bad things for bad people in the name of doing something good. And there were a few other things tossed in there as well, such as her smoking and bad choices in men and a mysteriously bad past -- none of which is obviously different than Gordon, except for her obvious roughness around the edges. She wasn't middle class, and preferred the company of unsavory types -- in fact, her boyfriend was a reformed supervillain weapons supplier, who wasn't all that reformed, but she turned a blind eye to his extracurricular activities as long as he didn't get into serious trouble.

So, yeah, there were some Gordon elements there, but also some class things and gender things that Gordon didn't have. Plus she had a job that especially and deliberately put her at odds with the people that we think of as the Good Guys, underscored by her working for Mr. Bones, not a terribly reformed supervillain, which meant we really saw her at the wrong end of the telescope. All of which, of course, made me root all the more that she would rise above it and fly her True Hero flag.

Which I never got to see, because the series was canceled.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Captain Comics said:

Hmmm... that's the entire basis for Gotham, watching rookie detective Jim Gordon flail about in a corrupt environment -- and fail, to the extent that a vigilante has to rise to do the Gotham P.D.'s work for them. The producers have said so.

I wonder how well that can work over the long haul ...

Sitwell was doing his job.  It was the way his dialogue was written that made him seem like a bit of a pinhead, but I'd say he was as competent as any other S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

Ron M. said:

Kind of like Mr. Phelps. Sitwell was loyal to a fault--literally. I remember hating him for insisting he was going to follow around and protect Tony Stark, who was desperately trying to get rid of the doofus so he could change to Iron Man and save both of their lives. When exactly did he become competent?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service