Justice League of America Annual #2 (12/84)
Writer - Gerry Conway Editor - Alan Gold
Penciller - Chuck Patton Inker - Dave Hunt
Cover Art – Chuck Patton & Dick Giordano
“... The END of the Justice League!"

Lets deal with that cover first.
I love it!
With the DC Bullet top left, the ANNUAL masthead and the issue indica top right these were perfectly framed books.
This entire cover is a classic one, heroes collected on rooftop but with the old guard in the clouds the sense of batton-passing is so reminicent of the All-New X-Men (Giant-Size X-Men #1) it's bordering on an homage!
What is really nice to see is that the interior artist - Chuck Patton - is given the introductory front cover rather than relying on a perhaps more well-known or popular artist for the 'new-direction'.
This visually interesting cover however completely ruins most of the tension in the storyline, as these things often do, as it shows right from the offset who is going to be in this new team regardless of any red herrings or mis-directions of the plot.
(I cannot let the cover go by without mentioning that the lack of any visible body for Elongated Man irks me!)

The strangest thing of all is perhaps the editorial decision to relaunch the JLA at this point - in the second Annual issue..?
That may not be that difficult to understand once we look a little closer, as this 'relaunch' is embedded deep in recent JLA history and produced very much as a continuation of the current series (indeed this book sits in continuity between #230 and #233. (231-232 being an annoying fill-in)) - no renumbering/new volume here!

The book opens, then with that continuity being addressed in a prologue...
The pre-existing Justice League Satellite has been destroyed and some of the last remaining recent members of the team discuss the chances of rebuilding 'it' (both the Satellite and the League) -- Aquaman announces the title of the book , while we get an instant follow up proclamation indicating the real purpose of this all... "Beginning A NEW Chapter In The 24-Year History of the World's Greatest Heroes!"
(Your mileage may vary.)

We are reminded/informed that it was a recent war between Mars and Earth that, amongst other things, caused the destruction of the Satellite and Aquaman equates that with the end of the League despite positive attitudes from members such as the Green Arrow. (Positive but not on the cover notice.)
Before a planned meeting at the United Nations in a week, Aquaman finds his wife has left him. (She cites his wanting to be with his team rather than his wife in the recent battle as the catalyst for her exit but both accept their strains relates back to the death of their son. (Aquaman. Death of A Prince. - one of the best comicbook stories ever in my opinion.)
This clearly leaves Aquaman available to direct all his attention to any new team, should he feel the need...

That UN Meeting does not trigger a new League however, Aquaman (suprisingly?) disbands the League after reminding everyone that the big-hitter members had been conspicuous by their absence when the team needed them. Most members present don't like the idea but in the shadows J'Onn J'Onnz nods.
Despite Firestorm's anger (I much preferred this original Firestorm meld of Ronnie Raymond and Prof. Stein than any since), Aquaman explains his point of view, "The world needs a committed fighting force -- a team of full-time, active members, living together, training together -- sharing a common purpose, a common duty." - which sounds like he's saying the world needs -- the X-Men.

Aquaman challenges the teammates to commit totally to the team and stalwarts such as Red Tornado, Green Arrow and Black Canary conceed they cannot do so. (I get it with the latter two with their helping the little man on the crime-ridden streets etc, but why not Reddy? His 'family-life' could have worked with the team couldn't it?) Hawkman and Hawkwoman have their allegiance to Thanagar first but even that's a bit thin as an excuse.

Zatanna signs up to this new commitment as does Elongated Man, dragging his wife Sue with him. Firestorm surprises  by announcing he will commit only to be overruled by Prof Stein. (see, he wasn't on that cover either was he?)
As the old guard leave and we are reminded of others having gone before, J'Onn J'Onnz steps forward and joins up. Zatanna nudges Aquaman to lead the team and Ralph announces their foursome as... "We're The NEW Justice League!"

Time to meet new faces on that cover? A military (old)-man called Heywood hears of this new League and calls for his Grandson...
Model Mari McCabe hears the news and quits her job and an abandoned factory has lights turn on...
The four JLA members and Sue Dibney get to know each other and are, apparently attacked by ... the Vixen (Mari McCabe in a new-look costume than her debuts in Action Comics #521 and DC Comics Presents #68)
"I want to join up, what else?"
"Count me in too." "The name's Steel" Steel arrives and offers a new HQ.
Steel is the grandson we were nudged about earlier and at this point I as a reader had no idea who he may be, had no knowledge of his pedigree or where he was getting all his toys from but that cover kind of let me know he was going to be staying around.
(How did Vixen and Steel know where our heroes were staying by the way?)

Steel ships the team out to (under) Lake Michigan and Detroit to show them around a perfectly purposed building he offers as a new HQ for the team, while remaining secretive about it's origins.
The team is attacked by a mystery man in an armoured suit and Steel shows his abilities while defeating him and revealing the man inside as being like a father figure to him called Dale Gunn, (were we supposed to recognise him or the name? I didn't.) This leads Steel to explain his grandfather General Hank Heywood had the place built preparing for trouble. (we also get an idea that grandfather was behind Steel's abilities too as even Mr Gunn remarks, "How did you get so strong?"
"It boils down to one word Dale: Grandpa".

There are still some unknown faces on that cover right? The action moves to downtown Motown and we see street violence and graffiti artist Paco Ramone (Vibe) who has possibly the worst and most annoying 'accent' ever in comics (other perhaps than Gambit?) "Wha'chu think? Fresh, huh? 'Vibe', That's chill." breaks up the mobs with a kind of vibration-power and some breakdancing moves. (I know - the 80s!).
Steel and Vixen, out of costume, see this Vibe and recommend him as a potential recruit to leader Aquaman who refuses to consider the suggestion opening up potential team-control issues between him and Steel.
Vibe however then arrives anyway and Aquaman reconsiders.
I did like the "Wonderful. Our first day and already our 'secret' headquarters is no secret" comment"

(Anyone notice Aquaman thanking Gunn for his new wet-suit-like, well... wet-suit? I take it this is kind of like Namor's blue-suit - is the 'every hour he needs water' trope gone?)

While we get to know a little more about Vibe and his family (and accent) we meet another local resident coincidentally also with powers, the last one from the cover - Gypsy who appears to be a thief able to turn invisible.

Hank meets Paco's sister and is smitten while Dale Gunn is propositioned by Zatanna "Do you snore in your sleep...?" (Who knew she would be so forward?) while Vixen does warn she is interested in him too!
Gypsy breaks into the HQ, J'Onn can see her although after she spins a yarn she disappears all together - nit quite a member yet then.
The local residents welcome the team as 'good neighbours' and a s apart breaks out the New Justice League begins...
"None of this is working out as I planned."

So there we have it. A new team for a new Era. As much as this resembles the All-New-X-Men it also evokes memories of the 'Cap's Kooky Quartet' days of the Avengers with a depowered team and leadership quibbles.
New members Vibe and Gypsy are awfully generic at this point, Steel not much more interesting but with more planning for a background while Vixen is so-far-so-Tigra.
Old members Elongated Man seems to be likely to be given comedy-lines while Aquaman plays Captain America/Cyclops.
I know I was always in the minority - but I really liked Zatanna's costume here!
Up to this point I knew very little about J'Onn J'Onnz as he really had not been in the spotlight much but I found him somewhat overpowerful and yet a tad dull.
Did we the readers know what we were in for? Could the title survive without the traditional League members?

Has anyone any comments as we launch into a (hopefully) fairly regular read-along of the entire Detroit-Era JLA..?

Next issue -- "The Beginning..." (which is, of course, Justice League of America #233 if you want to get ahead and look it up.!)

Views: 1633

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My first JLA issue (and to this day the only one).  I liked Luke McDonnel's pencils in Iron Man (and later Suicide Squad) and I like them here.

The story is simplistic indeed, but it is a nice effort at a change of pace, a bit of character study, and some variety of theme.  But it could afford to have more consequence.

A few minor observations.

Steel's costume changes significantly under the auspices of the repair mechs of Olanda and the Time Lord.  There is a lot less detail and the pattern becomes simpler and very different from the original, although of course the overall resemblance is still strong.

This story is actually followed up in a very minor appearance of the Time Lord during Zero Hour.  However, it is so minor that its whole point is that it has no continuity impact whatsoever.  Time Lord does however mention that Olanda has died. 
It is anyone's guess whether any of this story survived or was restores through Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint, Rebirth and Doomsday Clock.  If I had to guess, my money would be in that Time Lord is probably a teenager since Flashpoint.
The story is entirely self-contained.  There is no indication whastsoever of whether the Earths had already merged from either Steel's perspective of that of the JLA.  I don't think Steel even mentions this time-trip on panel to the JLA, ever.

There is a romance subplot between Olanda and Steel that is made implict until the last couple of panels.  Before that, we see considerable hints of mutual interest between the two.  But when Olanda reappears, she and Steel lock eyes in such a way that I feel like reminding them that her father is right there looking at them.

Gerry Conway has Steel mention his membership in the JLA and Time Lord and Olanda react to it without any particular wonder if that is meant to be the same team that opposed Time Lord before.  That may have been a subtle, perhaps even unconscious insinuation that there is no reason to assume that the Justice League will always be remembered in the way it used to be until a few months prior.  I find myself reminded of a scene in 1992's Dan Jurgens Justice League America where Starbreaker _does_ point out that Superman's team is nothing like the team he would expect to find under the name Justice League.

Justice League of America #246 (01/86)
Writer - Gerry Conway Penciller - Luke McDonnell
Editor - Alan Gold Inker - Bill Wray
Cover Art – Luke McDonnell & Bill Wray
   “Be It Ever So Humble..."
Nice cover, "...And Don't Come Back!" The Eviction Notice posted with Dale Gunn (strangely and unnecessarily suited and helmeted up) throwing the heroes (and Sue Dibney) out.

No Aquaman on the cover. I don't understand. I thought Arthur had gone off, found Mera, come back and all was well? No?

Inside and we open with shocked steel declaring "We've been kicked out?! You've gotta be Kidding!" - how does this come as a surprise to anyone?

(Anyone else reminded of the John Byrne West Coast Avengers issues where each splash page was a facial close-up like Steel this issue....didn't realise? Yep. Go check... see...?)

The issue opens with the team outside their Detroit HQ, evicted and we get a recap of the Crisis linked issues. Angry Steel brings the roof down over his old mate and mentor Alfred Dale Gunn.
Steel confronts his Grandad in his sick bed. We get a long overdue heart-to-heart between them as Grandaddy-Steel explains his reasoning for bringing the League to Detroit and that he now wishes them well in their new start... somewhere else.
"I can't ask you forgiveness, but can I have your understanding..?"
Their silent hug is a truely emotional moment.

Goodbyes are tearfully offered as the JLA leave the Detroit community they were so welcomed into not so long ago.
This would also seem to mean that any budding romances that have been oh-so-gradually developed such as Steel and Vibe's sister and anyone and Dale Gunn are dead in the water. Vibe reminds the rival gangs to remember he can always come back if they cause trouble.

Next, on a public plane the team fly to New York. Gypsy asks Vixen about the city and her modelling career and Zatanna warns J'Onn that she's had a dream of the collapse of the League,

"I wonder if a League still exists for us to save."
This all feels like such a sea change in this 'new' league that we must be entering 'New League 2.0" territory. It is a genuine surprise that this is still the same writer and that the creative team has not changed. Why this massive upheaval?

Super-Model Vixen's apartment is huge and modern and will do very well as an HQ. Gypsy asks to live with Vixen as a kind of big-sister, Ralph and Sue leave to stay at relative's in the suburbs and Zatanna whips up backward-wind to take her to a flat she's sub-let.
Steel and J'Onn discuss lack of income (isn't J'Onn a detective any more?) but Vibe tells them not to worry and shakes up a cocktail - which he ends up spilling over himself in a (hilarious?) scene bookend.

The question of J'Onn's history is actually addressed - he's been on the force so long (since Detective Comics #225) that he has reached retirement age!
A guy with the unlikely name of Burt Biloxi offers J'Onn a job with his Investigations company which he duly accepts.
"I accept"
Presumably we'll be seeing more of this set-up?

J'Onn drinking hot coffee and Burt burning himself on it is another comedy beat continued as Hank/Steel goes for job at a gym, gets a barbell dropped on him and after some comedy slapstick may have got an offer from an action film casting-director. (Can anyone say Simon Williams?)

Later, Zatanna wonders where her friend is when she takes over her flat and we see a suspicious pile of dust (?)...
We end the issue with Vibe not taking a flat as the rent is way too high however he refuses to give up... "So watch out, New York, me and The League... ... we're gonna come back in style!"

So almost a complete reboot of the Detroit League except for members and creative team? No great plot for this issue, just closure to previous threads possibilities for new plotlines...
No real idea why.
Do we still call these the Detroit League?

Next Issue - The Leaguers Return to the JLA's historic First Headquarters -- but there's Something waiting for them there!"

Come Back...

Aquaman is next seen in his four-issue 1986 limited series, very soon after Crisis or perhaps during its last few issues. That was when he briefly switched to a blue cammo costume that I for one liked.

It was a fine series, but it has only the most limited and arguably contradictory of acknowledgements of Arthur's recent exploits with the JLDetroit.  Even Mera feels sort of out of place in there.

It was a long time and at least two JL reboots until Aquaman became a member again - perhaps only in 1997.

Thankyou Luis.

I loved that mini and adored the new costume - such a shame it never caught on.

Aqualad/Tempest's red version was good too and much longer-lived.

Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas said:

Aquaman is next seen in his four-issue 1986 limited series, very soon after Crisis or perhaps during its last few issues. That was when he briefly switched to a blue cammo costume that I for one liked.

Justice League of America #247 (02/86)
Editor - Alan Gold Inker - Bill Wray
  “...There's No Place Like Home"
A fine enough cover but not an original concept, nice to see Elongated Man actually getting a cover appearance.

By the way, I actually like it when we get clever continuations of issue titles from book to book - last issue's and this making the full line. YMMV.(?)

We open with the JLA entering the dark and disused mountain/cave building that (apparently) was the site of the very Original League's first HQ.
Annoyingly it does NOT get a name, location or explanation let alone reference to any issue number. We are (I presume) supposed to know the history of this place - which is annoying as I feel the whole point of the JLADetroit was a relaunch to entice new readers in - why would they know? I was a fairly clued up reader of JLA but I didn't remember/collect the issues where this HQ was used.
Missed a trick.

"What a dump." (Vibe really has settled into the Hawkeye role hasn't he?)
J'Onn J'Onnz sets the scene,

"For many years this was the League's home. Strange to think that it might be home again."
We DO get an issue reference (JLA #158) to when this place was last seen and used - by the Injustice Gang ( Zatanna says 'several years back' but we know 'years' doesn't work like that don't we.)

"A secret cave under a mountain and nobody knows it's here! Like a fairy tale!"
"I still say it's a dump."
Gypsy actually gets annoyed at Vibe which begins in comedy...

" I'll show you a dump... you... Pheasant!"
"Ha, you mean Peasant." but soon develops into something more.

Gypsy makes Vibe see/hallucinate/imagine earth-shattering fire and smoke all around him actually scaring him quite strongly until Vixen comforts him and he realises it was not real.

Rather than anyone admonishing Gypsy for this action, either everyone ignores it or never noticed but Vibe begins to wonder, as we begin to wonder..."There's a lot we don't know about her."
This is a well needed mystery/character development for Gypsy who is still the dullest/most annoying of all the new members so desperately needs a boost. Please don't make us wait too long for some answers though?

Some JLAers leave for their own things while the rest stay to clean up. Steel and J'Onn turn on the impressively large hydro-electric generator, with Steel doing the heavy lifting/switch turning.

Gypsy informs everyone that they have visitors... "Isn't this the cutest thing you ever saw?"
"Awwww..."
"First time I ever thought a rat looked cute."
"They're possums, Paco."
Amongst all this cutesyness, Vixen senses something else in the tunnel...

The action cuts to an interlude in outer-space, Takron Galtos, prison planet to be precise and a mysterious pink/purple guy with reported telepathic/hypnotic powers escapes and heads for the planet Kalanor...who could this be and when will we find out...?

Later, at Hank's work Gym he and Vibe discuss possibly reusing JLA transporters - which Vibe is not happy with. Vibe gets picked on by a gym bunny and he shakes weights on top of the bunny. It's humour, I guess but predicatable.

Hank is again offered movie work by the director we met before.

Back at her apartment, Zatanna makes more enquiries into her missing flatmate that no-one seems to be missing much and finally she notices the dust/sand pile on the carpet...!

Back at the JLAcave Gypsy lets her guard down over her family life and Ralph picks up on this,              "Oh don't listen to me, Ralph. I always lie."
Vixen wonders about Gypsy too but is distracted again by that strange scent... and is attacked!
Gypsy battles the assailant - a monster-like/alien thingy that speaks an unknown language. Gypsy hides but is forced into action to protect the possums from earlier and soon ...makes the monster cry!?

No actual explanation or origin or even purpose is given for this monster and while Vixen and Ralph praise Gypsy for 'beating' the badguy...questions remain.... and the issue ends.(!?)

It is an abrupt ending after an issue of sub-plots, the pacing just feels way off - especially as the 'next issue' blurb seems to suggest a completely fresh storyline beginning next issue.
What is all of this? Is this some alien? Is this some mysteriously grown to human-size microbe?
Whatever the answer - the sub-plots are more interesting and they are crying out for follow-ups very soon please!.

Nice enough art and at last each member seems to be getting even page-time.

No one missed Dale Gunn did they?

A transition issue from Detroit to the cave (was this called 'Happy-Harbour'- or was that the Teen Titans?)

Next Issue "A Special Spotlight on J'Onn J'Onz The Human Manhunter"

Come Back...

The JLA's Secret Sanctuary was outside Happy Harbor (Snapper Carr's home town), while I believe the similar Titans' Lair was just outside Gotham City, although that was left a bit more vague.

The Secret Sanctuary of the Justice League of America was its headquarters for its first ten years of existence (real time), from Brave and the Bold #28 up until Justice League of America #77.  Canonically, Happy Harbor is in Rhode Island.  I seem to recall it being described by Green Arrow in #200 as "just outside Metropolis", though.

After perhaps over fifteen years of little use, this is the first of what will turn out to be several prolongued revisitations of the headquarters.  JLDetroit will be here for a while, and later there will be further use by Young Justice, Doom Patrol, the android Hourman and even the JSA.

Issue #77 in late 1969 set the stage for leaving it aside by having Snapper Carr be fooled by the Joker.  That led to the revealing of the location of the Sanctuary, and as of #78 the JLA had discarded both the Secret Sanctuary and its association with Snapper Carr in favor of the then-new original JLA Satellite.

Nevertheless, we would see glimpses of the Secret Sanctuary fairly often since for various reasons.  Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter were no longer active members when the League switched headquarters.  Wonder Woman eventually rejoined in #126, but only after a near year-long storyline that began with her under memory loss and turning to the Sanctuary in Wonder Woman #212.  She did that again in Justice League of America #200, along with the other founding members, again under memory loss.  We also got a glimpse of it just recently in the flashback issue #240 with the original League.

Justice League of America #248 (03/86)
Editor - Andy Helfer Inker - Bill Wray
 Interweavings"
At last J'Onn gets his own cover spotlight - "Featuring J'Onn J'Onzz -- Manhunter for Hire!" and it's a nice moody cover with a nod to the noir gumshoe genre and not a little similarity to the Question.
The issue opens where the previous one didn't end - the huge microbe monster still being a problem at the new/old JLA HQ.
The possibility of other surprises in the building segues into wishing J'Onn, who was a member in the day, was around to advise ... but he's off on his own Detective adventure....
Now working as a Private Detective for Biloxi Investigations J'Onn is on his first case , "in more years than I care to count."
While looking for a runaway, J'Onn comes across a murdered woman, the Police come across J'Onn who uses his invisibility to get away intent on tracking the real killer.

There is an Interlude on the planet Kalanor where that pink guy arrrives...

Elsewhere, in her apartment, Zatanna contemplates the dust/ash piles on her floor, her missing flatmate and a note left behind and sets off on her quest, "A mistress of Mysticism... a Sorceress Supreme." Nice art, artist is definitely getting better at Zatanna's costume.

We then catch up with Vibe who gets himself an apartment - smaller than his teammates. He is then accosted by two men who demand a 'local tax' but Vibe shocks them out of that - "-- you're on my street-- and I want you off!"

Steel is then seen acting as stuntman in a sword fight scene where he really has to fight which may lose him his new job but seems to gain him a fan in the Continuity girl Robin Flynn, "Call me. We'll have dinner."

Back at JLA HQ and the microbe runs off, Vixen loses her powers/strength momentarily and the Possum and babies we saw in previous issue appear to be dead. The microbe runs into J'Onn, Vibe and Steel who return. After Vibe is attacked J'Onn changes to look like the microbe to confuse it and Steel knocks it out. "Strange, We have won the struggle ...... yet I feel no sense of victory."

Everyone debates how young and vulnerable or monsterous and dangerous the micorbe is while Vixen finally returns to the team... and collapses... mummified ancient and possibly dead!
"Omigosh Vixen!"

So, another issue without a complete story, still no explanation of the microbe, or Zatanna's flatmate or even the girl J'Onn was searching for let alone the murdered woman he found,
Not the solo-issue the cover made it seem we may get and no ones' personal story seems to have moved on much except we have met a potential girlfriend for Steel.
Kind of interesting but we really need to get to a conclusion soon don't we?

Next Issue "-- And that's just for starters! Be here next month when the Rest of the League -- "All Fall Down!"

Come Back...

....and the microbe runs off.

A phrase that I never expected to read.

Kind of sad that the very reason given to reformulate the JLA has now drifted away. Half the members are no longer at full time dedication.

Justice League of America #249 (04/86)
Editor - Andy Helfer Inker - Bill Wray
  “All Fall Down!"
These covers are getting more adventurous aren't they? Also, we get a good group shot of (most) of the team which hasn't happened very often - even if they're not looking their best! It may be a simple illustration but it works really well.
"Help Me..."

We open where we closed with ancient-Vixen and Steel and Vibe quizzing Gypsy about her hidden huge microbe friend who may possibly be involved/responsible for Mari's condition.
Steel attacks, the microbe (that Gypsy calls 'Junior' for an as-yet unknown reason) zaps Steel with the black lightning we've seen before. Vibe causes a cave in that separates them. The guys begin to work out they're not acting themselves so is 'Junior' influencing them somehow..?

Elsewhere J'Onn and Ralph administer to ancient-Vixen (there's a full page splash but with minimal detail - it kind of looks like one normal panel blown up to fill a page. Shame)
J'Onn declares Vixen is having the life drained from her and Ralph feels woozy - which he puts down to anchovies on his pizza.
Really!! Come On!! This is a seasoned veteran hero AND a so-called Detective at that!! He can't see the obvious!!

Eventually J'Onn begins to make the connection with Junior but he starts finding it difficult to think, is it too late..?

The reason Zatanna was missing from that cover is that she is not at the HQ with the rest of the team, she's off doing her own thing, investigating the dust she found in her apartment. An old magic contact 'Mama Larue, determines the dust is Voodoo Magic and it is "Graveyard Dust". Zatanna flies off, avoiding being hit on by a couple of single blokes. It feels like a padded scene because it's a padded scene - can we get on with that story please!

Back at the JLA HQ Cave Sue Dibney arrives ( apparently with new Elongated Man costume) and nearly runs into Gypsy and Junior. Steel and Vibe also catch them up and Gypsy appears to succomb to the ageing effect as per the cover, even voicing "Help-- Me --"

We cut to another ongoing sub-plot (that needs to get on with it too!) - the planet Kalanor and the mysterious pink man we've been following for a while (with a wierd crazy headshape!) enters mysterious flames in an attempt to gain some strange power...who could this guy be? (You already know don't you..?)

Back at the 'Secret Sanctuary'/Cave HQ J'Onn reminds himself and us, that in his secret identity he is being framed for murder - another sub-plot we're not getting resolved! He analyses a piece of skin from Junior and discovers, "Junior is a plant?" - not just that - he's an alien plant!

Gradually J'Onn discovers that after a previous (unpublished?) JLA adventure to planet Toris II (League report 237-B - is that significant?) a microscopic spore got stuck on Superman's cape and was brought back to Earth. It's waited at the HQ ticking over sucking the energy of insects and rats etc - bursting into power with the rerturn of human life-energy to the cave...

"Conclusion: Danger to present League-members... Extreme."
Unfortunatly, J'Onn collapses before he sounds the alarm.

Sue finds her husband ancient and helpless, "Not you too, darling... Don't die. Please don't die."
It's actually quite a touching moment and begins to show why Sue has been thrown into this team-mix.

Junior shows his real attitude as he begins to feed off all the heroes ... but Sue is not affected. (Why?)
Fully fed Junior... hatches.
A humanoid male figure seems to replace Junior's microbe look as Sue realises J'Onn was trying to push the alarm button and before she too falls before this transforming monster-man...she punches the JLA Alert button!!
Suddenly - you realise what the issue number was for this story and why it all feels padding and set-up... next issue is #250 - An Event?!

Nice enough art, all the members getting some involvement, Sue Dibney finally getting some action and the familiar sub-plots ongoing.
Not sure if the threat of the villain is too worrying as it all began as a microbe from a previous JLA victory but interesting enough to see where this goes... and who's up for guest-appearances?

Next Issue "You won't believe your eyes! A blockbuster 250th Anniversary Issue we Had to call... 'The Return of the Justice League!""

Come Back...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service