With Krypton debuting on Syfy March 21, all eyes are turning to Superan's home planet. I'll be writing something about it, but right now I don't know what. In the meantime, let's talk Krypton. What's your favorite Krypton story? Or tidbit? Or revamp? Or whatever?

As for me, I have more than a few comments and questions.

* Every time I read a story about the Thought-Beast, I wondered what kind of evolutionary advantage could possibly come from advertising your thoughts on your forehead.

* I know Krypto had to get to Earth somehow, and no doubt the writers simply took the most expedient route. But even as a child I thought Jor-El sending Krypto into space as a test animal was cru-el. 

* Commander Benson has a three-part kryptonite series on this site that is required reading.

* Speaking of kryptonite, I remember green, red, gold, blue, white, jewel, x-kryptonite (Streaky) and anti-kryptonite (Argo City) from the Silver Age off the top of my head. And silver and black came along post-Crisis. (I do not count pink kryptonite, which Peter David mentioned in order to make a gay joke in his Supergirl run.) Oh, yeah, there was red-green kryptonite, but I've forgotten why I know that.

* If I were living in the Bottle City of Kandor, I think I'd rather take my chances outside where I'm invulnerable, no matter how tiny. Inside the bottle I could die slipping in the shower.

* When was Rokyn established? Was that pre-Crisis?

* whenever I think of the legions of people who visited Krypton before it exploded via time travel, this is always the story I think of first. 

Way to turn the central tragedy of Superman's life into a punchline, DC.

* Who else visited Krypton? Lar Gand, of course, but it wasn't by time travel. Brainiac was also a pre-explosion tourist. Superman famously went back in time and dated Lyla Lerrol, but I'm sure there have been more occasions than that, although none are occurring right now. Lois Lane tried to date Jor-El. (Ew!) Lex Luthor did, or maybe he did -- now that I think about it, I think it was an Imaginary Story. Did Lana Lang ever make the trip? Superboy? Supergirl? I'm drawing blanks, although I'm pretty sure returning to Krypton was practically a cottage industry in the Silver Age.

* There was a Superboy story once where he found Lara and Jor-El alive and well, but by the next issue they were gone. I don't remember the particulars now. Were they meant to return, and then some editor thought better of it? I feel like I should set alight the Mopee-Signal.

* After Rokyn, were there any other in-continuity embiggenings for Kandor? I know there was the fairly recent war between Krypton and Earth, when Zod and company were on a planet on the other side of the sun, but I don't remember how they got there. Allura was there, too, and I think Zor-El was, but got killed. 

* Other major Krypton stuff comes from the two World of Krypton miniseries (one on either side of the Crisis) and the Krypton Chronicles mini. I think those established that Jor-El's father's name was Jor-El also. On TV he will be Seg-El, which sounds familiar but I don't know why.

What Krypton stuff is rattling around in your heads?

Views: 395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Kryptonopolis Tourist Bureau had its work cut out for it.

Philip Portelli said:

Plus there were flame dragons, talking apes and werewolves on Krypton as well!

On Facebook recently, someone brought up Superman Annual #11, the classic "The Man Who Has Everything!" and I pointed out why Superman's fantasy went so wrong. In order for him to have a normal life on Krypton, Jor-El has to be wrong, he has to be the crackpot that he was derided as being. So "Kal-El" gets his fondest wish whether it's living on Krypton, having a family or simply not having to be Superman at the expense of his belief in Jor-El's greatness! To be a father, he had to tear down his father!

I thought that was a brilliant insight by Alan Moore, and a plot turn as well. (Moore seems to use every element in multiple ways!) He realized that if Krypton doesn't explode, then Jor-El was wrong ... and extrapolated that out to its logical end. (A Silver Age story would probably have glossed over that.) And then it demonstrated Superman's innate heroism that he rejected the Black Mercy, even though he was personally happy, but because it made someone else unhappy.

The Kryptonopolis Tourist Bureau had its work cut out for it

Kryptonopolis, Krypton -- the town so nice they (sorta) named it twice!

In the Silver Age Superman had a set of statues of his great ancestors. They appeared in Superboy #136, but the net tells me that wasn't where they first appeared. In The Krypton Chronicles they were portrayed as having been placed in the El family vault.

They first appeared in Adventure #313, and the statues are of Val-El, Sul-El, Tala-El, Hatu-El and Gam-El. They all invented something, I'm sure!

One of my favorite Krypton stories

From Superboy #136: The Columbus, Galileo, Jefferson, Edison and Wright of Krypton were all in the House of El That's a lot of pressure to put on their descendants!

Also the menace of evil cats from the Phantom Zone! Rao, I love the Silver Age!

Superman #166 is perhaps my favorite Imaginary Story but with one chapter taking place on Kandor and one on Krypton, we do get to see that part of the mythos through "new" eyes. Jor-El's accomplishments shine as well.

There was a sorta-kinda Imaginary Story where Batman and Robin visit the Fortress of Solitude and they watch a computer simulation of what Superman's life would have been like if Krypton hadn't exploded. Can't remember what book it ran in, Action or Superman, but I do remember it was drawn by Wayne Boring.*

As I remember, Jor-El was right about the internal stresses potentially destroying the planet, but in the simulation, a fellow scientist invented an "anti-atomic ray" that stopped the chain reaction from happening. Unfortunately, this was after Jor-El sent baby Kal-El to safety in a rocket. Oops! Jor-El quickly sends up a guided missile to knock the rocket back to ground. While he's at it, he brings back the satellite that has puppy Krypto in it.

Being a prototype Imaginary Story, Kal-El-s projected life on Krypton ims full of parallels to his real life. He joins the Krypton Youth Scouts, and earns the Supreme Merit Badge by performing a good deed on another world -- using a telescope and "long-range power rays" to dry up a lake on Earth just before a careening jalopy crashes into it. And who is in the old flivver? No one else but Jonathan and Martha Kent, on their way to the Smallville Orphanage to adopt a child! They go home with a baby girl.

For his part, Kal-El gains a baby brother, Zal-El. When he grows up, Kal-El aims to join the Space Patrol, but the skill machine that matches high school seniors to jobs, to his profound disappointment, makes him a dispatcher. 

Oddly, the test examiner, Professor Xan-Du, has also invented a "super-static ray," but it doesn't work as planned; it changes a rabbit into a bird, turns another one into glass, and reduces another to a rainbow. Then Krypto stumbles in and chases the bird, and bumps into the controls -- and Xan-Du and Krypto are zapped by the rays!

Fortunately, there don't seem to be any ill effects, so Xan-Du prepares for a masquerade ball, dressed as the masked superhero "Futuro." Kal-El's costume is a blue business suit, white shirt, necktie and eyeglasses. Yep, he looks just like Clark Kent. 

The ballroom is on an floating platform in the sky, but its mechanics fail and everyone is trapped. But when Futuro tries to open the door, it comes off in his hands! And when he falls off the platform, he learns he can fly! So he brings the platform to safety and flies off.

There's more ... Kal-El becomes Jimmy Olsen to Xan-Du's Futuro ... tragedy strikes Jor-El and Lara ... Kal-El stops being a desk jockey with the space patrol ... and Lois Lane shows up!

This being a sorta-kinda Imaginary Story, you can guess where the parallels lead ... especially as the space patrol uniforms are blue leotards with red shorts, boots and cape ... 

* I decided I shouldn't be lazy and should actually look it up. It was Superman #132 (October 1959), although I read it in Superman Annual #5 (1962)

Also, Krypto has a Space Canine Patrol Agents red-and-blue superhero uniform. Because, sure.

Philip Portelli said:

From Superboy #136: The Columbus, Galileo, Jefferson, Edison and Wright of Krypton were all in the House of El That's a lot of pressure to put on their descendants!

Also the menace of evil cats from the Phantom Zone! Rao, I love the Silver Age!

Big dog, big dog, bow, wow, wow!

We'll stop evil, now, now, now!

>>>
Lois Lane tried to date Jor-El. (Ew!) Lex Luthor did, or maybe he did -- now that I think about it, I think it was an Imaginary Story.
>>>

Lex dated Joe-El?

Mark James Schryver said:

Lex dated Joe-El?

Yep, Lex dated Joe-El. But it was the '60s and a love that dare not say its name. So they drew Joe as a her and called him "Ardora." The world just wasn't ready for the first gay super villain.

Now let me tell you the true story of Brainiac and Koko ... 

Commander Benson has a three-part kryptonite series on this site that is required reading.

Aw, shucks, it was nothin'.

Who else visited Krypton? Lar Gand, of course, but it wasn't by time travel. Brainiac was also a pre-explosion tourist. Superman famously went back in time and dated Lyla Lerrol, but I'm sure there have been more occasions than that, although none are occurring right now. Lois Lane tried to date Jor-El. (Ew!) Lex Luthor did, or maybe he did -- now that I think about it, I think it was an Imaginary Story. Did Lana Lang ever make the trip? Superboy? Supergirl? I'm drawing blanks, although I'm pretty sure returning to Krypton was practically a cottage industry in the Silver Age.

This link might be of some help:

http://captaincomics.ning.com/profiles/blogs/from-the-archives-deck...

Captain Comics said:

Also, Krypto has a Space Canine Patrol Agents red-and-blue superhero uniform. Because, sure.

Krypto having a Space Canine Patrol Agents red-and-blue superhero uniform makes as much sense as him wearing nothing but his collar and red cape with the "S" shield and donning eyeglasses as a disguise ... 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service