Starting with the first volume of Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Disk One:

Baseball Bugs (1945), Directed by I. Freleng.

Bugs plays singlehandedly against the thuggish Gas-House Gorillas.  Amusing enough, not an all-time favorite.  I always wonder how this cartoon goes over in countries where they don't play baseball. This one closes with Bugs saying "And that's the end", instead of the more common "That's all folks!"

Views: 2636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have all 6 volumes, but haven't watched anything from them recently.

Wabbitt Twouble (1941), no director's credit, instead "superwision by Wobert Cwampett"

An early Bugs/Elmer confrontation, with Elmer looking different than he would later. I note that Elmer isn't even hunting in this, Bugs just torments him for kicks, apparently.

Ballot Box Bunny (1950), Directed by I. Freleng.

Bugs and Sam run against one another for mayor.  The usual shenanigans - I note that this ends with Bugs and Sam playing Russian roulette, I doubt they'd get away with that, today.

Rabbit of Seville (1949), Directed by Charles M. Jones.

Another classic, with Bugs and Elmer battling it out on the opera stage. I suspect there's a whole generation of us for whom our main exposure to opera came from these cartoons.

On to disc two, "Best of Porky and Daffy"

Duck Amuck (1951), Directed by Charles M. Jones.

Daffy at the mercy of a sadistic animator.  "Exhibit A" for anyone sekeing to argue that Chuck Jones was a genius.

"Ain't I a stinker?"

Dough for the Do-Do (1948), no director credit.

Porky goes to Wackyland in search of the Do-Do. Wow, this is really some surreal stuff!  The one that stays with me is the Three Stooges/Pawnborker's Sign creature.

Drip-Along Daffy  (1950), Directed by Charles M. Jones.

A Western parody as Sheriff Daffy and Deputy Porky confront outlaw Nasty Canasta. Lots of good stuff in this, I want one of those drinks they had, I could do with something witha bit of a kick to it.

"Anyone for tennis?"

Scaredy Cat (1947), Directed by Charles M. Jones.

Porky and Sylvester in a house full of murderous mice. I like the scene where Sylvester's conscience confronts him.

Some years back I managed to tape most of a "JUNE BUGS" marathon on Cartoon Network.  I missed a couple here and there, but did manage to get ALMOST every Bugs cartoon they ran.  (This did not include a specific batch pulled from circulation for "racist" content reasons... although an excerpt of the "Haiawatha" cartoon did appear in the "Academy Awards" cartoon, oddly enough.)

I've watched the entire set a few times since, and it's been a wonderful thing to have. I only wish they'd done a DAFFY marathon at some point-- the only Daffy cartoons I have are the ones where he appeared with Bugs.

The Ducksters (1949), Directed by Charles M. Jones.

Daffy as the sadistic host of a game show and Porky as the hapless contestant. It's funny how timely this still is.

The Scarlet Pumpernickel (1948), Directed by Charless M. Jones.

Another classic - Daffy as an Errol Flynn-type adventure hero.  An "all-star" cast. For some reason, the "Kreplach - $1,000 each" gag just kills me.

Yankee Doodle Daffy (1943), no director's credit, but "Supervision I. Freleng".

Daffy as an agent trying to sell a client to a booker, and being more entertaining himself in the process.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service