Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 58146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THE ALPHABET MURDERS  (1966)

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS  (2001)

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS  (1974)

DEATH ON THE NILE  (1978)

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Cocoanuts (1929)

And last night:  Animal Crackers (1930)

Last night: Monkey Business (1931)

and this morning: Horse Feathers (1932)

Last night: Duck Soup (1933)

Went to see "The Dark Knight Rises" at the theater and watched "The Dark Knight Returns, Pt. 1" (animated) on DVD over the weekend.

Apparently, “The Dark Knight Rises” is the third part of a trilogy. (I am probably the only one on this board who didn’t know that.) I saw the one with the Joker, but is there was a middle one with Two-Face, I didn’t even know about that one. Seeing it first probably would have helped.

“The Dark Knight Returns” was a faithful adaptation of the first half of the influential Frank Miller graphic novel, but having read some of his more recent work puts it in a new light for me. Part two will be out early next year.

Two-Face was in the one with the Joker.

I've seen RHUBARB a couple of times. I really like that movie.

PowerBook Pete (aka Tim Cousar) said:

Two-Face was in the one with the Joker.

Really? (I remember Harvey Dent.) Maybe I should have watched that one again.

I caught the last 45 minutes to an hour of the 9.79 one. That was really good. a lot of the 30 for 30 shows are.I wish the one before about athletes going broke was more focused on a fe stories instead of just scatter shooting quickly a bunch of different people.

The one about the high school player that was the one on Marcus Dupree right? Unless there was another one I missed.

Jason Marconnet said:

It's 9.79 not 97.9.

Jason Marconnet said:

I've been watching a few of ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaries. I watched the newest one on Tuesday night, 97.9, about the human growth hormone scandal of the 1988 Seoul Olympics. It was very good and at times creepy.

They have the first season or two of the other films on Netflix. I watched Jordan Rides the Bus about Michael Jordan's stint in minor league baseball. Also watched the Greatest that Never Was about a highschool football star with great promise who never quite made it big.

and then Aaron Eckhart.

THE MASKS OF DEATH  (1984)

...virtually a Hammer Film in all but name!

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

The Cocoanuts (1929)

And last night:  Animal Crackers (1930)

Last night: Monkey Business (1931)

and this morning: Horse Feathers (1932)

Last night: Duck Soup (1933)

Last night:  A Night at the Opera (1935)

I did the "watch all the Marx Brothers movies in order" thing this spring, and had a good time.  Then I topped it off by going to see this guy.  He's terrific -- go see him if you get the chance.

Apparently his tour ended in July. I wish I would have known he was in Cisco, TX… during my birthday week, too!

I have a small book titled, oh… Lunch with Groucho or something. It’s an “interview” conducted at Groucho’s favorite Beverly Hills delicatessen as if he had returned from the dead. It’s one of a series of books which “interview” noted deceased philosophers, writers, celebrities, etc. I read it about a year ago after having read several non-fiction books by and about Groucho (including his 1973 Playboy interview, which I bought at a used bookstore when I was 16 years old). I didn’t expect to like it, but it was really quite well researched, and the writer captured Groucho’s “voice” convincingly.

I once dressed as Groucho for Hallowe’en when I was in elementary school.

I have all the Marx Brothers’ movies, too, including the later and solo ones such as Double Dynamite and Copacabana.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Eric L. Sofer replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 974 Super-Heroines
"Then let us consider... Teela (Masters of the Universe). The Enchantress (Masters of the…"
23 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 974 Super-Heroines
"Added."
25 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
37 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 972 Super-Heroines
"Well, in that case, how about She-Ra, from the Masters of the Universe franchise? And Xena,…"
2 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"#1 (1976) #11 (1978) in between we got Cracky, Wacky Witch, more Tom, Dick, and Harriet, Dagar, Dr.…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"The funny thing is,stuff like that is in development now..  Certain types of technology…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"GHOSTS OF ILLYRIA: Remember how episodes of the first two seasons or so of TNG seemed to be…"
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 972 Super-Heroines
"Added: Acromaid Baby I.Q. Commandette Ghost Woman Gotham Girl Ladybug Lady Fantastic Lightning…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"ISSUES #9-30: I was buying this series because of John Byrne, not She-Hulk, so when Byrne left so…"
4 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 957 Super-Heroines
"Cool."
4 hours ago
"Anotjher good one/"
4 hours ago
"Oh, yeah, I forgot about her."
4 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service