Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 54964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely a "chick flick", with lots of male nudity, and enough time paradox conundrums to keep you entertained, but these people are a little slow on the uptake for figuring out what's going on.  All of them.  Also, when the secret gets out, there aren't a lot of histronics going on...nobody REALLY freaks out, like I think society really would.

The Doctor Who storyline definitely followed the book in quite a knowing fashion.

It would seem to be a two-way street, as Niffenegger has brought out a self-illustrated graphic novel called The Night Bookmobile, that has a woman visited at different times in her life by a fellow who doesn't get any older, knows everything about her, and who travels around in a mysterious vehicle that is much bigger on the inside than the outside.  (A fine haunting little story it is too.)

It has a foreword by Neil Gaiman, who also wrote a recent episode of Dr Who, so I'm thinking that they are all part of some cosy club!

Saw Django Unchained last night. Very violent, but very good. Excellent revenge story--very Tarantino. Loved that they started playing Jim Croce in the middle of it.

We saw Les Miserables tonight. We had previously seen the stage play.

Those of you who haven't seen a musical should check it out.

Anne Hathaway turns herself into the character, like she did in Dark Knight Rises. I think as time goes on she will increasingly be viewed as a great actress.

There is a lot of action, and if you don't tear up at a few points you're possibly a serial killer.

I read the book quite a while ago (2003 or 2004) and I liked it quite a bit at the time. I never did catch the movie though. Also, I have no idea how ti compares to any Dr. Who as my interest in that is nil.

Kirk G said:

I saw the Time Traveler's Wife last night.

I was struck by the parallels with the 11th doctor and his love interest, River.

There are almost too many to be a coincidence. She keeps a diary, she marries him, she finds him in a library, he keeps popping in and out of her life.  The child appears to be a time traveler as well.
Just too many similarities. I wonder the BBC didn't sue....

The latest in the Cinemark Classic Series was To Catch a Thief Wednesday night. It has been a long time since I have seen it, but it always holds a special place to me as it was the first Hitchock movie I ever saw. There is a lot of subtle humor here, and I enjoy it in that it is lighter in tone that a lot (most?) of his other films. And Grace Kelly? Wow just wow.

Similarly, I have a soft spot for Family Plot, Hitchcock's last film and the only one I saw in a theater first-run. There is menace in it but it has a lot of light touches.Not his best, but very entertaining.

I saw it first run also, and heard a lot of criticism that it wasn't that good.  I did get the humor though.  I just thought it was all wrong to call it "a Hitchcock film" because that carries so many preconceived notions, and expectations.

Frankly, I think  the film shares more with Foul Play with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn than it does anything that Hitchcock did before...

Richard Willis said:

Similarly, I have a soft spot for Family Plot, Hitchcock's last film and the only one I saw in a theater first-run. There is menace in it but it has a lot of light touches.Not his best, but very entertaining.

Tonight I finally watched The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (you can send someone by to rip the geek stripes off my uniform if you like). Very enjoyable. I thought the casting was perfect, and it was gorgeous to look at. I really didn't notice that it was three hours long. I had always promised myself that I would watch the trilogy when I could get an affordable set, and mine only cost me about $12 for all three widescreen Theatrical versions. Perfect for Saturday night in Greenville, so I'm looking forward to the second one about a month from now.

I watched The Gunfighter yesterday. A movie I had tried to watch a number of years back, but it was so late when it started I fell asleep back then (after midnight if I recall). It is a really good western with Gary Cooper playing an older gunfighter who is know as the fastest gun in the West. He shows up in a certain town to find his old flame and the son they had together. His friend is the marshal in town and wants him to leave before any fighting starts. I thought Gary Cooper was awesome here. Also, Karl Malden plays the barkeep at the saloon Cooper sits around in most of the movie.

Mark Sullivan said:

Tonight I finally watched The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (you can send someone by to rip the geek stripes off my uniform if you like). Very enjoyable. I thought the casting was perfect, and it was gorgeous to look at. I really didn't notice that it was three hours long. I had always promised myself that I would watch the trilogy when I could get an affordable set, and mine only cost me about $12 for all three widescreen Theatrical versions. Perfect for Saturday night in Greenville, so I'm looking forward to the second one about a month from now.

I won't be the stripe-ripper because I haven't seen it, either. I'm hoping for a snow day, or I'll wait until spring break.

I saw the Hobit when it first came out, and was pissed that it wasn't complete, all in one, like I had been led to believe.

My daughter told me that it was the set up for the second half.

NOW, I learn that it's a triology of movies...

and if you believe Saturday Night Live, it's the first of 18 Hobit movies!  (I believe it.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"In other wrestling news, Ric Flair is going to wrestle, what'll this be, his third "final…"
5 minutes ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"By blood, marriage or being "adopted" into it!"
7 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Why can't it be both?"
22 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"I didn't realize that Naomi was a Fatu until I looked up her real name. I feel like every…"
24 minutes ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Either Neal had some deep resentment towards the Bottle City of Kandor or he just wanted to draw…"
40 minutes ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"Naomi is married to Jimmy Uso thus connected to both Roman Reigns and the Rock. She'll be…"
45 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
""She's on a mission from God.""
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #27 - "...by demons driven!" This issue's introduction/recap is provided by…"
1 hour ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
""She's tied up on an urgent mission of her own.""
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"Keep going! Tracy and I stopped watching a while ago because we were getting too far ahead of you.…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
""She's on a mission in space.""
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
"Tracy is out of town this week so I won't be watching tonight's episode until Sunday at…"
2 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service