Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 27888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amicus/AIP did something similar with Doug McClure in The People That Time Forgot, the sequel to The Land That Time Forgot. Spoiler warning. A friend of McClure's Bowen Tyler leads a rescue expedition to Caprona. The members of the expedition are captured by a people called the Nargas, and they discover Tyler is their prisoner. Tyler is killed during the escape. I didn't realise the similarity until now. It's my guess the screenwriter had Beneath in mind.

JD DeLuzio said:

I'd have to go back and find my sources, but reportedly, the movie was supposed to feature Taylor as the lead. Heston felt the movie was a complete thing, and didn't want to return. He agreed finally to do a small part, and the script was rewritten for the new astronaut.

Ah...that explains it.

That was Amicus' last film. Pretty sure Tyler survives in the Burroughs novels.

Svengoolie played Rodan Saturday night and I couldn't resist.

With multiple parts by Paul Frees. Police officer, scientist, soldier, villager, and I'm sure I missed a couple.

I disagree with the idea he suggested that one of the Rodans flew away since the whole point was they willingly chose to die together. We know the original Godzilla and Mothra died but new ones kept coming. No reason there couldn't be new Rodans as well.

Old monster movie continuity is shaky at best, but I always assumed the subsequent Rodan was the offspring of the ones who die in the first movie.

Of course, I've also hypothesized that the mother of Minilla/Minya is Gorgo, so....

Ronald Morgan said:

I disagree with the idea he suggested that one of the Rodans flew away since the whole point was they willingly chose to die together. We know the original Godzilla and Mothra died but new ones kept coming. No reason there couldn't be new Rodans as well.

Since reptiles have been known to change gender Godzilla could be the mother. Svengoolie did a Jerry Springer spoof where the female Gappa was supposed to be the mother but the DNA tests came up saying she wasn't.

Continuity gets much worse if you try to mix the different eras. It's much easier to consider everything from Godzilla to Terror of Mechagodzilla one reality, the second period up to Destroyer another dimension entirely, and everything after that a third universe. I remember somebody trying to combine them all into one reality and it just didn't work.

Ronald Morgan said:

Since reptiles have been known to change gender Godzilla could be the mother. Svengoolie did a Jerry Springer spoof where the female Gappa was supposed to be the mother but the DNA tests came up saying she wasn't.

Continuity gets much worse if you try to mix the different eras. It's much easier to consider everything from Godzilla to Terror of Mechagodzilla one reality, the second period up to Destroyer another dimension entirely, and everything after that a third universe. I remember somebody trying to combine them all into one reality and it just didn't work.

I came up with nine different "Godzilla Timelines", and that's not including Shin Godzilla, which I will add at some point.

All very interesting , LB, but did you mean to put it in the "Movie" thread?

No. Thanks for the heads-up.

RETURN TO THE PLANET OF THE APES (cartoon): I watched the first episode last night and was really quite pleased. I gained a new appreciation for once-despised “limited animation” after watching one of the extra features on the Star Trek: The Animated Series DVD set a few years ago. Return to the Planet of the Apes is really good limited animation, if you don’t consider that a contradiction in terms.

The acting is good (as good as can be expected for mid ‘70s Saturday morning children’s fare), the soundtrack is good and the backgrounds are lavishly painted. As far as the story is concerned, this series promises to be a mish-mash of all the POTA movies and the TV series as well. Based on the first episode, the series seems to be serial, rather than episodic, in nature. I hope this keeps up.

I honestly don’t remember why I didn’t watch this cartoon in 1975. On the one hand, I had pretty much outgrown Saturday morning cartoons by that time, but on the other I was at the height of my first “ape-mania” phase. I know I watched Land of the Lost (the first two seasons, anyway) right around that time, but I don’t think much else. It very well could have been bad memories of The Tarzan/Lone Ranger Adventure Hour. Tarzan and Lone Ranger were two of my favorite characters, then as well as now, but those preachy, saccharine ‘70s era cartoons were just plain awful. I probably didn’t trust that a good Saturday morning cartoon version of POTA could be made.

In retrospect, I probably should have given it a try. Then again, I’ll probably enjoy it more watching it today for the first time than I would have 42 years ago, so it’s all good.

I'm pretty sure some of the episodes weren't shown in Memphis during the first run. There may have been a similar situation where you were.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service